PDA

View Full Version : David Bruton on free agency, would "love to stay here"

VonDoom
02-17-2016, 02:53 PM
"I would love to stay here and, hopefully, they love and respect me enough to keep me here and offer a good amount of dollars for me to stay," he said. "I definitely feel like I've put myself in a position where I'm not just seen as a special teams guy. I'm the guy who's lined up everywhere on their defense basically, and been able to make plays."

Playing a position that was racked with injuries — T.J. Ward's ankle, Darian Stewart's hamstring, Omar Bolden's hamstring — Bruton was called upon to fill in as a starter, especially late in the season. But his season ended after the Broncos' loss to Pittsburgh on Dec. 20. Bruton fractured his leg early in the first quarter and, despite playing through the pain, subsequently was placed on injured reserve, a move Broncos general manager John Elway told Bruton before Super Bowl 50 he regretted because Bruton felt healthy enough to play by then.

and

Bruton said he's hoping for something similar to the three-year extension Cardinals cornerback Justin Bethel signed in December that totaled $15 million and included $9 million in guarantees and an average salary of $5 million.

"I'm open to staying. I love it out here," he said. "I've been here for seven years, I've been through two contracts here. But I'm getting old now. I definitely would love to stay here. I'm open though."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29527535/david-bruton-jr-would-love-stay-broncos-wants-new-deal-bigger-role

I love Bruton. Great guy, special teams leader and stepped up big when we needed him. I don't know if I see us paying him $5 million a year, though.

NightTerror218
02-17-2016, 03:00 PM
I think he will return and be fairly cheap since he has been a career backup and ST player. Someone may over pay but I just want this guy back. One of the truely great locker room and community person.

dogfish
02-17-2016, 03:09 PM
would love to have him back, but i don't see any way we can pay him that much. . . we also don't have a starting safety spot available. . . he knows he'll get reps in nickel, but 43 and 26 are too good to replace. . .

Ravage!!!
02-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Players from Super Bowl winning teams always end up getting more money in the free market than they were worth prior. Teams want that experience in the locker room.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
At his age the length of the contract in the annual average won't really matter too much. 99% of all he will care about in his new contract is guaranteed money.

NightTerror218
02-17-2016, 05:03 PM
At his age the length of the contract in the annual average won't really matter too much. 99% of all he will care about in his new contract is guaranteed money.

You know he is under 30 right? He is only 28, at his age. I oughtta smack you.

TXBRONC
02-17-2016, 05:08 PM
would love to have him back, but i don't see any way we can pay him that much. . . we also don't have a starting safety spot available. . . he knows he'll get reps in nickel, but 43 and 26 are too good to replace. . .

Same here I would like to have him back I'm not sure Denver will be able to give him the kind of raise he may be looking for.

MOtorboat
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
He's going to be a hard one to see in another uniform. He's done a lot of dirty work the past few years.

I'd say pay the man, but that's difficult this year. That said, my experience with all this is that the cap can always be manipulated. I've stopped trying to figure it out on my own.

The Glue Factory
02-17-2016, 06:52 PM
"...offer a good amount of dollars for me to stay,"

Statements like this worry me. They say they want to be here but at the right price. Which is more important, staying on a SB contending team or getting paid? I have a feeling some of these guys "wanting to stay" see $$$ more importantly than WC Rings.

MOtorboat
02-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Statements like this worry me. They say they want to be here but at the right price. Which is more important, staying on a SB contending team or getting paid? I have a feeling some of these guys "wanting to stay" see $$$ more importantly than WC Rings.

Life-changing money?

Getting paid.

The Glue Factory
02-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Life-changing money?

Getting paid.

Not sure how to take that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get paid a decent wage for his work, but how much is the right number for him to stay? He's not the only saying, "I want to stay but..."

MOtorboat
02-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Not sure how to take that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get paid a decent wage for his work, but how much is the right number for him to stay? He's not the only saying, "I want to stay but..."

I'm saying, if you're a player you should take the highest bid you get. It's unrealistic to expect them to always take discounts because you root for their current team.

Davii
02-17-2016, 07:37 PM

Would you take 25-50% less pay to stay in your current job?

What if someone offered you a bonus of 10x your annual pay and a decent raise?

If the difference is a 100k on a 5 mill contract MAYBE you stay, but come on, that's a lot of money. His earning potential is limited, I don't blame him for wanting to maximize it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2016, 08:26 PM
You know he is under 30 right? He is only 28, at his age. I oughtta smack you.

Bro, I'm 44.

He's a fringe player who know it could very well be his last contract.

dogfish
02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
I have a feeling some of these guys "wanting to stay" see $$$ more importantly than WC Rings.

of course he does. . . he already has a ring, he can't pay his grandchildren's college tuition w/ another one. . . dude was a 4th round pick-- a couple million dollars difference is a LOT of cheese to this guy, it's totally unreasonable to expect him to take a discount. . . not with what we know about CTE and its effects on later quality of life. . . how many concussions has david had? frankly, after the guy played through a broken leg to try and help us win a game, i don't even like seeing someone question him for doing what's right for himself and his future. . . dude has not only earned the opportunity-- as far as i'm concerned, he should have also earned the right to do so unquestioned. . . JMO, obviously. . . but as much as i'd love to see him stay, if someone offers him more, i'd say go for it and best of luck. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
of course he does. . . he already has a ring, he can't pay his grandchildren's college tuition w/ another one. . . dude was a 4th round pick-- a couple million dollars difference is a LOT of cheese to this guy, it's totally unreasonable to expect him to take a discount. . . not with what we know about CTE and its effects on later quality of life. . . how many concussions has david had? frankly, after the guy played through a broken leg to try and help us win a game, i don't even like seeing someone question him for doing what's right for himself and his future. . . dude has not only earned the opportunity-- as far as i'm concerned, he should have also earned the right to do so unquestioned. . . JMO, obviously. . . but as much as i'd love to see him stay, if someone offers him more, i'd say go for it and best of luck. . .

Yeah, like Davii said, unless we're just talking about a difference of a few hundred grand he should probably stay. The cost of moving can cost a guy like him that much. However, if they're millions apart he should take the best deal.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Unless it's millions more in New York. :laugh:

Then you're not really getting ahead.

DenBronx
02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Bruton is one of my favorites because he just shuts up and does his job. He is very good on special teams and could actually be a damn good starter elsewhere. Fact is he is worth what he is asking and had this been any other year we might have given him close to what he wanted. However, this year there are just too many that need deals and I think the priorities have to go to our actual starters on defense.

It's unfortunate timing for him here and I doubt he will be here next year.

Joel
02-18-2016, 01:30 AM
Yeah, not sure I wouldn't prefer Bruton to Ward, but that's not going to happen (and not just because of $2½ mil in dead money.) I thought and hoped he'd be back, because he's right that he's more than just ST captain (though certainly that, too.) But if he wants $5 mil/yr that's MORE than we're paying Ward. A Ring means someone else may offer him that much though, and if that's the case I'll deeply thank him for his service and wish him well against everyone but us.

dogfish
02-18-2016, 01:49 AM
Yeah, not sure I wouldn't prefer Bruton to Ward, but that's not going to happen (and not just because of $2½ mil in dead money.) I thought and hoped he'd be back, because he's right that he's more than just ST captain (though certainly that, too.) But if he wants $5 mil/yr that's MORE than we're paying Ward. A Ring means someone else may offer him that much though, and if that's the case I'll deeply thank him for his service and wish him well against everyone but us.

ward caused two turnovers in the super bowl. . . and has been widely credited as a tone-setter on a LEGENDARY defense. . . i love bruton too, but let's not get carried away. . .

:defense::defense:

Joel
02-18-2016, 01:58 AM
No, VON caused two turnovers and Ward fell on the second, after trying to GIVE BACK his Int (inside our 10; thank God for Trevathan.)

I'll give him props though: My (primary) problem with Ward—why I prefer Bruton—is that he's a thumper with (IMHO) poor coverage skills for a safety, yet his coverage skills are PRECISELY what got him his Int when Carolina was driving for a TD to take control of the SB. My only other problem with him has been cheap shots, and it looks like he's cleaned those up as well. I still PREFER Bruton, but Ward's earning his keep, so fine by me.

DenBronx
02-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Joel, if we all found world peace and the fountain of youth you would still find fault or give us a "yeah but". It's like the kid that brings his dad a report card with all A's but the dad says "yeah but it's no A+"

Hey dad just hit a homerun!
Who gives a shit son it should have been a grand slam!!

BroncoWave
02-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Life-changing money?

Getting paid.

Which is an even easier decision to make once you already have a ring. I would never blame a single player who decides to cash in once he gets a ring.

TXBRONC
02-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Bruton is one of my favorites because he just shuts up and does his job. He is very good on special teams and could actually be a damn good starter elsewhere. Fact is he is worth what he is asking and had this been any other year we might have given him close to what he wanted. However, this year there are just too many that need deals and I think the priorities have to go to our actual starters on defense.

It's unfortunate timing for him here and I doubt he will be here next year.

I don't how good of starter he would be. He does well in the packages that he's used in but Ward is just flat out better.

NightTerror218
02-18-2016, 09:56 AM
No, VON caused two turnovers and Ward fell on the second, after trying to GIVE BACK his Int (inside our 10; thank God for Trevathan.)

I'll give him props though: My (primary) problem with Ward—why I prefer Bruton—is that he's a thumper with (IMHO) poor coverage skills for a safety, yet his coverage skills are PRECISELY what got him his Int when Carolina was driving for a TD to take control of the SB. My only other problem with him has been cheap shots, and it looks like he's cleaned those up as well. I still PREFER Bruton, but Ward's earning his keep, so fine by me.

Who caused the other fumbles? Honestly curious.

Joel
02-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Joel, if we all found world peace and the fountain of youth you would still find fault or give us a "yeah but". It's like the kid that brings his dad a report card with all A's but the dad says "yeah but it's no A+"

Hey dad just hit a homerun!
Who gives a shit son it should have been a grand slam!!
What do you want from me? I've withdrawn my complaints against Ward because 1) I've not seen him do anything dirty since the Indy game, so it looks like Kubiak got through to him when the NFL hadn't and 2) a red zone interception is a coverage play by definition, not just a big hit designed to knock loose a catch after allowing it. I still think Bruton's better in coverage, and a hard sure tackler in his own right (else he wouldn't be a standout ST captain) but the difference isn't big.

Who caused the other fumbles? Honestly curious.
Stewart caused the only other (Carolina) fumble, on Tolberts run. THAT'S our centerfielder (so he causes a fumble on a run and Ward makes an Int playing deep robber; go fig.) Wish we had as much coverage safety depth as thumper safety depth (maybe Keo?)

For the record, Ward hopping on Vons second strip IS a big deal (except to Cam Newton. ;)) I'm just convinced SOME Bronco ALWAYS falls on it regardless, just as Ware was right there to fall on the first one if Jackson hadn't beaten him by a hair. That's another of the many little things the whole team's consistently done right all year to get big results, further tribute to what our champion coaches have made of our champion players: All the hustle Foxs team woefully lacked.

The Glue Factory
02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Would you take 25-50% less pay to stay in your current job?

What if someone offered you a bonus of 10x your annual pay and a decent raise?

If the difference is a 100k on a 5 mill contract MAYBE you stay, but come on, that's a lot of money. His earning potential is limited, I don't blame him for wanting to maximize it.

I'm not arguing for him to stay at a discount, or that he shouldn't seek the highest pay he can get. The beef I got is that he (and others) are claiming some level of loyalty to the team (I *want* to stay, they say) but at a price. Is that really loyalty? Why not just say, "I'm considering my situation carefully and look forward to remaining a Bronco." It seems like everytime I hear a player (Bronco or not) say they want to stay "if the pay is right" ends up being a money over team kind of guy. How many players in the 97/98 SB teams restructured their contracts to keep the team as intact as possible? The two statements of wanting to stay and show me the money seem to be at odds to me. Maybe I'm reading it differently than everyone else and as I said, I'm not arguing he shouldn't seek the maximum pay he can get. Just don't claim to want to be here unless you're willing to give something up (not saying everything) to stay a Bronco. It just seems like this time of year the agents are whispering in the players ears that they deserve more money.

As for earning potential? Give me a break. Vet's minimum for one year is more money than most of us will earn in 10 years. Even the lowest paid player (PS fodder) will earn six figures for a full season. A 10 year vet making ONLY the base salary with no other incentives or bonuses will earn 7 million over the course of his career (and just how likely is THAT scenario?) I think a lot of the wage issue in the NFL has more to do with bragging rights than actual lifestyle decisions. If given just 5 million, anyone would be able to live off of the interest at 3% which would be a six figure annual income. I have no sympathy for anyone who's played multiple years in the NFL and has financial problems. He made his bed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Ward's coverage skills are very underrated.

TXBRONC
02-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Ward's coverage skills are very underrated.

He's not Talib, Harris, or Roby but yes he's better in coverage than some people think.

NightTerror218
02-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Guarentee no back ups will make more then $2 mill. That is not good cap management. If Bruton wants bigger money he will be gone. He is a career back up and will get paid like that by elway.

TXBRONC
02-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Guarentee no back ups will make more then $2 mill. That is not good cap management. If Bruton wants bigger money he will be gone. He is a career back up and will get paid like that by elway.

Spot on. Also if wasn't career back there would have never been reason to sign Ward or Stewart.