PDA

View Full Version : What the Broncos are considering with Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak remains the only coach to boast offenses with the league's leading passer, rusher and receiver. He forged his NFL identity by exploiting mismatches through play action and misdirection.

This season he showed flexibility, constricting the offense's playbook to avoid compromising a historically great defense. It worked, if not for a few anxious moments as the Broncos managed 197 yards against the Carolina Panthers, the fewest for a Super Bowl champion.

"We can win in all kinds of ways," Kubiak told general manager John Elway on the podium after the game.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29511263/broncos-offseason-issues-begin-at-qb-position-osweiler

TXBRONC
02-13-2016, 02:30 PM
I don't know why I feel this way but it seems like it would be more surprising to have Jackson re-sign than it would Trevathan.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-13-2016, 02:57 PM
They were talking about this a little on Sirius the other day and Pat Kirwan was saying that after Von, Malik should be the priority. He thinks it's extremely important to keep Wolfe, Jackson and Sly together. He also talked about Oz and how we could probably offer him less (like 7-8 mil per year) with incentives on a 2-3 prove it deal because he'd be playing for the Super Bowl champs, with weapons around him on offense and have the league's best defense. It's a, "do you want to get paid more to go to a bad team with bad WRs, a bad defense, and no chance to win a SB anytime soon, or get to be "the guy" on a team built to challenge for a repeat?", situation.

Our defense proved that we don't need much more than a game manager at QB to be a championship contender. I agree with Kirwan that it's more important to keep the defense together as much as possible than it is to throw big bucks at Oz. With Kubes' system, our QB doesn't have to carry the whole load or take unnecessary risks. I think it's a perfect spot for a guy like Oz. Hopefully he'll realize it and not just chase the money.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 02:59 PM
They were talking about this a little on Sirius the other day and Pat Kirwan was saying that after Von, Malik should be the priority. He thinks it's extremely important to keep Wolfe, Jackson and Sly together. He also talked about Oz and how we could probably offer him less (like 7-8 mil per year) with incentives on a 2-3 prove it deal because he'd be playing for the Super Bowl champs, with weapons around him on offense and have the league's best defense. It's another, do you want to get paid more to go to a bad team with bad WRs, a bad defense, and no chance to win a SB anytime soon, or get to be "the guy" on a team built to challenge for a repeat.

Our defense proved that we don't need much more than a game manager at QB to be a championship contender. I agree with Kirwan that it's more important to keep the defense together as much as possible than it is to throw big bucks at Oz. With Kubes' system, our QB doesn't have to carry the whole load or take unnecessary risks. I think it's a perfect spot for a guy like Oz. hopefully he'll realize it and not just chase the money.

Totally agree. I would love to keep Brock if we can, but if he's going to ask for crazy amounts of money, I would rather just let him walk and keep the defense together. We KNOW Malik Jackson is good. We just don't know with Brock yet. It would be nice to keep them both but if forced to make a choice, I'd rather keep the guy we know is good.

Ravage!!!
02-13-2016, 03:02 PM
THat still leaves the QB spot open, and it just happens to be a pretty important position.

But I would LOVE to keep Makik..and I would keep him over Trevathon if I HAD to choose.

Northman
02-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Wont be able to keep all the defenders here. They have to make moves to improve the offense no matter who the QB is so i think its a pipedream that Jackson will be Bronco next year unless he takes home discount deal.

Ravage!!!
02-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Wont be able to keep all the defenders here. They have to make moves to improve the offense no matter who the QB is so i think its a pipedream that Jackson will be Bronco next year unless he takes home discount deal.

Yea. We can't win without an offense that can score. We had a great season, but we won't be able to sustain success with that kind of offensive production.

Which is why I think its a must to get Oz signed. We will have to fill that role with someone, and just how many QBs out there are better that would sign for LESS money than Oz? At least Oz is young and a part of this team.

I'd love to keep Malik, became a huge fan of his this year.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Yea. We can't win without an offense that can score. We had a great season, but we won't be able to sustain success with that kind of offensive production.

Which is why I think its a must to get Oz signed. We will have to fill that role with someone, and just how many QBs out there are better that would sign for LESS money than Oz? At least Oz is young and a part of this team.

I'd love to keep Malik, became a huge fan of his this year.

People said all year (myself included) that we would not be able to sustain being carried by the defense even for just the one season, and that it would eventually catch up to us, yet it sustained all the way up to winning a super bowl.

If we can find a QB to play better than Manning did this year (and I don't think that would be difficult at all), I see no reason why we could't possibly repeat the kind of success we had this year.

slim
02-13-2016, 03:31 PM

I keep hearing people say this, but it's really not true. Depleting the defense in order to build the offense is not necessary and doesn't really make much sense.

Three of the highest paid offense players probably won't be back next year (or at least will have to take a pay cut). They should have enough money to resign anyone they wish to keep.

Ravage!!!
02-13-2016, 03:32 PM
People said all year (myself included) that we would not be able to sustain being carried by the defense even for just the one season, and that it would eventually catch up to us, yet it sustained all the way up to winning a super bowl.

If we can find a QB to play better than Manning did this year (and I don't think that would be difficult at all), I see no reason why we could't possibly repeat the kind of success we had this year.

Because as we've seen throughout the NFL, to be CONSISTANT contenders, you ahve to have a top QB. At least a pretty damned GOOD QB. Top Defense or not. The Ravens had a top Defense for YEARS after their 2000 Super Bowl win...but couldn't go back until they got themselves a decent QB.

I th ink you are over looking the need of a good QB to be consistant contenders. Great defenses just can't maintain that kind of production without an offense that can score in the NFL. It's been shown time and time again.

You say "I see no reason"...well, then I guess you just don't see. But there are plenty of reasons to know that our defense can not, and will not, be able to sustain the playoff type of production. Lets face it, every NFL team has a lot of luck going their way in Super Bowl winning years.. and we certainly had our share of it.

Northman
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
No elite defense has been able to repeat based solely off that type of play. Not the Ravens, Bucs, or Bears were able to do it. While Manning played horribly this year he also brought some other types of stability (see Charger game to end the season) that proved to be very beneficial for the team. Brock doesnt quite have that moxy nor experience yet so the offense will definitely need some more help than it currently has at the moment. Repeating is tough enough as it is but leaving the offense the way it is makes it that much harder.

TXBRONC
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Totally agree. I would love to keep Brock if we can, but if he's going to ask for crazy amounts of money, I would rather just let him walk and keep the defense together. We KNOW Malik Jackson is good. We just don't know with Brock yet. It would be nice to keep them both but if forced to make a choice, I'd rather keep the guy we know is good.

I don't think he's going to ask for crazy amounts of money.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 03:34 PM
No elite defense has been able to repeat based solely off that type of play. Not the Ravens, Bucs, or Bears were able to do it. While Manning played horribly this year he also brought some other types of stability (see Charger game to end the season) that proved to be very beneficial for the team. Brock doesnt quite have that moxy nor experience yet so the offense will definitely need some more help than it currently has at the moment. Repeating is tough enough as it is but leaving the offense the way it is makes it that much harder.

Repeating is tough regardless of how your team is built. The greatest show on turf Rams offense didn't repeat either. Obviously the odds are highly against us repeating regardless of how the roster is managed this offseason. But I think a good argument can be made that keeping the entire defense together gives us the BEST chance of doing so.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't think he's going to ask for crazy amounts of money.

I hope not. Being able to keep Brock for cheap and keep the defense together would definitely be the best of both worlds.

Northman
02-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Repeating is tough regardless of how your team is built. The greatest show on turf Rams offense didn't repeat either. Obviously the odds are highly against us repeating regardless of how the roster is managed this offseason. But I think a good argument can be made that keeping the entire defense together gives us the BEST chance of doing so.

Not necessarily. Teams that often repeat titles and create dynastys often have a good balance between offense and defense.

Cugel
02-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah, saw that article. But, here's reality 101: The Broncos will NEVER have a defense that can win the SB all by itself. Not in the next 30 years.

All the great defenses of SB history - the '85 Bears, '91 Giants, the 2000 Ravens, the 2002 Bucs, the 2013 Seahawks, and the 2015 Broncos. They were all capable of completely shutting down the opponents in the SB and winning with defense alone.

But notice that none of those previous teams won more than 1 SB. Guys leave in FA. New players come in. Some guys just get old. Overall, they're not as hungry, the team chemistry is different, they aren't as lucky in having all their key players healthy and productive in the big game, sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, etc.

For the Broncos to repeat they need their offense to be much better, and for that to happen they need to rebuild their OL and replace scrubs, losers and old washed up or never-were players like Michael Schofield, Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus and the 35 year old Evan Mathis with younger, and much better players. Because if the defense will never be this good again, the offense must be better.

Of course they will be getting Ty Sambrailo back, and possibly Ryan Clady so that might be a help - IF Clady can be relied upon and if they can re-negotiate his contract to a much more reasonable figure than $10 M a year.

But, not one of the five Denver OL starters in this SB would play for the Panthers OL, or any team with a really good offense.

The Kubiak offense requires them to be able to run the ball to be effective. They can win it all with a great (but not all-time great) defense, combined with an effective, if not explosive offense lead by Brock Osweiler.

But, that requires getting really good OL to replace the scrubs who failed so miserably in this game, getting Peyton Manning sacked 5 times and leading to 2 turnovers including a strip-sack where Manning had no chance. Both Schofield and Harris got beat bad by Kony Ealy.

If the OL isn't a LOT better in 2016 Brock Osweiler will be on IR.

slim
02-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Brock will make less in 2016 than Peyton did in 2015. I guess I don't see why this would be a problem.

TXBRONC
02-13-2016, 03:40 PM

I don't know. If Denver is going to repeat they're going to have to get better on offense.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 03:41 PM
I don't know. If Denver is going to repeat they're going to have to get better on offense.

I think they will be better on offense with our without Brock.

TXBRONC
02-13-2016, 03:47 PM
I think they will be better on offense with our without Brock.

I don't think that's a given.

slim
02-13-2016, 03:50 PM

They can get better on offense without spending a lot of money.

Interior offensive linemen don't really get paid that well :D

Clady will probably be back at a reduced salary. Vasquez and Mathis will probably be gone ($9M right there they can give to Malik :D)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-13-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't know why I feel this way but it seems like it would be more surprising to have Jackson re-sign than it would Trevathan.

It shouldn't be. Danny has a history of knee injuries and Malik will be the most sought after d-linemen in FA.

TXBRONC
02-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Clady will probably be back at a reduced salary. Vasquez and Mathis will probably be gone ($9M right there they can give to Malik :D)

True but ultimately they will need will need better play from the quarterback position.

That said, I don't see Osweiler asking for elite money right now.

BroncoWave
02-13-2016, 04:01 PM
I don't think that's a given.

Didn't say it was a given, just saying what I think will be the case. I've certainly been wrong before, though. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
02-13-2016, 04:20 PM

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I've got a different, and maybe somewhat unpopular take on it. You can call it "what HP would look into if he was the GM":

This assumes Peyton retires, if not, I release him:
First, I tag Von and work on a long-term deal.

Second, I take a look at some of our older, higher priced vets. I love Ware and would love to keep him, but honestly, if it's between him and being able to retain Malik, I release Ware. We still have Shaq Barrett, Shane Ray, and Lerentee McCray who can rush off the edge. We can also look in FA or the draft for another pass-rush OLB. Don't wanna do it but I would if need be. Along with Ware, I look at Talib. Another player that I'd like to keep on the roster, but is making big $. I'd actually rather keep Ware than Talib. We've already taken the big guaranteed money cap hit for Talib and could release him with minimum penalty. I think Roby is ready to be the full time starter alongside Harris and that we can use Webster and Doss (who we drafted last year) as the 3rd CB. It might be a step back when we're 3 CBs, but I think the pass rush still dictates the coverage.

Third, I offer Oz a contract. 7-9 mil a year with incentives/escalators (just like we did with Peyton who earned another $4 mil for winning both the AFCCG and SB). I think the lure of playing for a champion should keep him from running off to the Browns or Rams.

Fourth, I take a long, hard look at the O-line. Schofield is gone. I see what Clady is willing to take and renegotiate. I then focus my scouting efforts on the draft and FA to fill the holes we have. The O-line was our biggest liability this season. That can't happen again. This offense needs to score 24 points consistently just in case the defense takes a small step backward next year.

Lastly, I see what it takes to get Trevathan back. Danny-T is a big part of this defense and may decide to hang around for a little less based on the incentive of getting another ring. I also bring back Bruton. STs captain and a really good backup Safety.

Those are pretty much my priorities right now. I let Hillman walk and promote Bibbs to the active roster. Ronnie has flashes, but he's far from irreplaceable.

MileHighCrew
02-13-2016, 04:33 PM
I would love them to keep Brock but I really wouldn't mind an RGIII signing if it is at low cost. He could excel in the system and has lots to prove.

dogfish
02-13-2016, 04:45 PM
They were talking about this a little on Sirius the other day and Pat Kirwan was saying that after Von, Malik should be the priority. He thinks it's extremely important to keep Wolfe, Jackson and Sly together. He also talked about Oz and how we could probably offer him less (like 7-8 mil per year) with incentives on a 2-3 prove it deal because he'd be playing for the Super Bowl champs, with weapons around him on offense and have the league's best defense. It's a, "do you want to get paid more to go to a bad team with bad WRs, a bad defense, and no chance to win a SB anytime soon, or get to be "the guy" on a team built to challenge for a repeat?", situation.

Our defense proved that we don't need much more than a game manager at QB to be a championship contender. I agree with Kirwan that it's more important to keep the defense together as much as possible than it is to throw big bucks at Oz. With Kubes' system, our QB doesn't have to carry the whole load or take unnecessary risks. I think it's a perfect spot for a guy like Oz. Hopefully he'll realize it and not just chase the money.

what up, HP?

:first:

fingers crossed, but i really am hoping oz will take a bit less to be in a better situation here. . . not sure we can get him for 7-8, but anything below twelve is a blessing. . . i don't think we'll be able to retain danny, but it would be huge if we could bring back malik, bruton and bolden. . . slim is on point-- i would absolutely cut both clady and vasquez if we could keep oz and the core of the defense together. . . re-sign either harris or polumbus for vet min, bring in a second tier FA (elway has had plenty of hits there) for interior depth, and draft an OT with one of our first two picks. . . with most guys going into their second year in the system, there's no reason we shouldn't see some improvement on offense. . . particularly if gary can find a back in the draft to upgrade hillman. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
02-13-2016, 04:47 PM
I would love them to keep Brock but I really wouldn't mind an RGIII signing if it is at low cost. He could excel in the system and has lots to prove.

I'm not adverse to giving RGIII an opportunity either. I find it hard to believe he can't flourish in this system. We don't want/need a running QB, just one who can execute the bootleg and keep defenses honest. I also think this locker room, this coaching staff, and this FO can keep any ego he may have in check. RGIII's bad tendencies and ego problems were directly fueled by Dan Snyder and his coddling of RGIII which put him at odds with his coaching staff(s). I'm hoping the last 2 years in Washington have made him humble and hungry. Physically, he has all the talent to be a great QB. I really liked him coming out and during his rookie season. I think Washington was just a disaster for him, mostly because of Dan Snyder.

dogfish
02-13-2016, 04:50 PM
if RGIII burned bridges with shanahan, it's tough for me to see gary bringing him in. . . just a factor to keep in mind. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
02-13-2016, 04:54 PM
if RGIII burned bridges with shanahan, it's tough for me to see gary bringing him in. . . just a factor to keep in mind. . .

I think Snyder burned those bridges more than RGIII did. Snyder tried to force Shanahan to do things that went against what he wanted and protected RGIII from Shanny's ire. More than anything, I think this led to RGIII's demise more than RGIII's attitude or ability.

Ziggy
02-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Cutting Ware is not an option. He may not have been the MVP of the super bowl but he had 10 QB pressures, 2 sacks, and played the run extremely well like he always does. The Broncos don't win that super bowl without him.

The offense has to get better. At least the running game. I think Elway re-signs Clady at a lower price and moves Sambrailo to right tackle. Mad Max can take over at left guard. That gives the Broncos the following line:
LT- Clady
LG- Garcia
C- Paradis
RG- Vasquez
RT- Sambrailo

That's a massively improved O line without bringing a single free agent in. Just my guess though.

I also think Brock is a huge improvement over an ineffective, aging , non-mobile Manning. Kubes more than likely brings back the fullback with the sheriff gone. I expect him to be re-signed at around 13-15 million/year. That and the Oline should give the Broncos a renewed run game. Kubes can go back to running his own offense and help this defense out.

slim
02-13-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure 65 fits what they're trying to do. They can get the same or better production for less money imo

Ziggy
02-13-2016, 07:12 PM
On the defensive side, I think Malik walks for 11-12 million/year and gets the Broncos a third round comp pick next season. His production will be hard to replace, but if Anunike finally stays healthy he can step in. He was the talk of the new guys at training camp last year on the defensive side. Trevathan will probably be gone as well. Marshall is more valuable, and you can't keep both over the next 2 seasons. Overall, this defense will be back with 9 starters from this season. Not bad for an all time great defense.

Elway will fill in the gaps. He's been doing it since he's been here and bringing in defensive players is actually his forte as a GM. Wolfe, Marshall, Trevathan, Sly, Talib, Malik, Stewart, Ware, Von, Harris, Roby, Kayvon were all brought in on his watch. Elway will bring in more this season. His GM skills should now be unquestioned. He has made his mistakes, but he's won far more than he's lost both in the draft and free agency. At one time he was the best QB in football. Now he may be the best GM in the game.

Trust in Elway.

Dapper Dan
02-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Elway and Wade just followed Malik on Twitter. They're trying.

dogfish
02-13-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure 65 fits what they're trying to do. They can get the same or better production for less money imo

luis has been an awesome bronco, but he's old, broken-down, and not very effective. . . i wouldn't bring him back for much more than vet minimum at this point. . . spend the money to keep the defense together, and keep plugging in younger guys on the OL. . . i'm sure the idea will make joel furious, but it's just a fact that you don't need a good O-line to win anymore. . . at least the last three champions have had shitty, patchwork lines-- and carolina's wasn't much better than that, as we saw. . .

DenBronx
02-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Malik won't get paid more than Wolfe. Wolfe is better imo but both together are unbeatable. Would love to see him stay here.

Brandon Marshall is a must have too with Trevathan knocking on the door. I like Brock but I'd rather this defense stay together. I believe we could win the AFCW and be a playoff team with any game managing QB.

Elways definitely not affraid to let someone walk either if the price is too high. He has proven time and time again that he can replace you with a cheaper option. He doesn't miss on his decisions so this offseason will be fun to watch.

Really, if we can resign all of our defense guys then I say just trade up in the draft for a rookie QB in round 1 if possible. If Brock takes a deal under 10 mill then he will be here. He hasn't really proven anything yet and when he did play I wasn't all that impressed. He didn't do bad but he didn't really stand out either.

Ziggy
02-14-2016, 02:42 AM
Malik won't get paid more than Wolfe. Wolfe is better imo but both together are unbeatable. Would love to see him stay here.

It's not that Malik is worth more than Wolfe. Wolfe took a home town discount. He could have made 10-12 mill/year on the open market. He chose to stay for less. I doubt Malik does the same. He's been talking about "winning the lottery" with a new contract since the playoffs started.

Joel
02-14-2016, 02:50 AM
Cutting Ware is not an option. He may not have been the MVP of the super bowl but he had 10 QB pressures, 2 sacks, and played the run extremely well like he always does. The Broncos don't win that super bowl without him.

The offense has to get better. At least the running game. I think Elway re-signs Clady at a lower price and moves Sambrailo to right tackle. Mad Max can take over at left guard. That gives the Broncos the following line:
LT- Clady
LG- Garcia
C- Paradis
RG- Vasquez
RT- Sambrailo

That's a massively improved O line without bringing a single free agent in. Just my guess though.

I also think Brock is a huge improvement over an ineffective, aging , non-mobile Manning. Kubes more than likely brings back the fullback with the sheriff gone. I expect him to be re-signed at around 13-15 million/year. That and the Oline should give the Broncos a renewed run game. Kubes can go back to running his own offense and help this defense out.
Sound strategy. I don't know if Oz is our next franchise QB, but going with that line would give him every opportunity to develop, and let CJ run wild regardless, so we needn't depend solely on passing to win. The big questions are 1) how healthy is Clady, 2) how good is Sambrailo and 3) is Garcias pass protection improved?

Dumping Ware shouldn't even be on the table: Look how much our #1 D declined during the month or so Ware was out hurt. It may be the difference between "GoAT" and "ONE OF the GoAT." Ware's field marshal to Wades Commander-in-Chief, and forces offenses to come up with something more creative than "double team Miller every down." Our defensive linemen are good, but 3-4 linemen; pocket collapsing run stuffers. They get their share, but none will ever post double digit sacks.

That's also why, especially after re-signing Wolfe and our NT core in his final contract year, Jackson's far less valuable to us than to other teams. This could be like Trevor Pryce all over again, but Walker and Smith filled in well for Wolfe when we came roaring out of the gate, so they can do the same for Jackson, and re-signing both would cost less than he.

I'd still look at spending early picks on an OG to backup and succeed Vasquez and OT to do the same for Clady; expecting Clady, Sambrailo AND Garcia to all pan out is expecting a lot. Maybe we keep Ryan Harris as a decent journeyman swing tackle to relieve pressure there, but that's not a long term solution, if only because he turns 31 in a month and Clady turns 30 by Opening Day.

Stuff like this is why I'd cheerfully give up a few guys like Jackson, Trevathan and Talib to lock in a bunch of young emerging players (e.g. Barrett, Roby, CJ, Webster and Fowler.) Part of how teams get into cap trouble is developing young players but not giving them long contracts until they've proven themselves good enough to command huge ones: You can't hand out half a dozen $10 million/yr contracts annually.

Northman
02-14-2016, 11:58 AM
He didn't do bad but he didn't really stand out either.

No QB playing just 7 games is going to standout, especially behind that Oline.

Cugel
02-14-2016, 01:02 PM

LT- Clady
LG- Garcia
C- Paradis
RG- Vasquez
RT- Sambrailo

This is likely to be correct, but there are a few problems with it.

First of all, how much is Clady worth? Can they even rely on him at all? His knee gave out in non-contact drills in July. That's not good in that it was the same knee that put him on IR in 2013.

It would be a disaster to go into another season counting on Clady, and then finding out he's washed up like Courtney Brown and simply can't play on the knee or the knee can't hold up to an NFL season. He also played pretty badly in 2014 coming off his last knee injury in 2013, so it's not likely they would be getting the 2012 Pro-Bowl LT they signed to the big contract.

Sambrailo is also not a sure bet. He played badly and was beaten regularly in limited action before he got hurt this year. The Broncos reportedly like him and are optimistic, but they were optimistic about Schofield as well.

We could wind up with Clady hurt or ineffective, Sambrailo still playing like a rookie (his next game would be the 4th of his NFL career) and then your starting RT for the 2016 Broncos would be ---- Michael Schofield!

I think it's too much to hope for to assume they cut Schofield and get a really GOOD RT. He's earning less than $600k and is a warm body. Elway doesn't like to spend money on the OL and they are trying desperately to re-sign all their high priced defensive players like Von & Malik Jackson.

I would hope they go with 4 Ts this year, but it could be 3 just like 2015: Clady, Sambrailo and Schofield. Urf! Hopefully they bring in several new players to at least evaluate during the pre-season.

But, I don't see Elway going out in FA and getting any really good OL if he didn't in 2015 when there was a desperate need.

Now at least Max Garcia and Matt Paradis are no longer rookies.

I would hope they draft a RT or G with their first pick, but we'll see.

Cugel
02-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I'd still look at spending early picks on an OG to backup and succeed Vasquez and OT to do the same for Clady; expecting Clady, Sambrailo AND Garcia to all pan out is expecting a lot. Maybe we keep Ryan Harris as a decent journeyman swing tackle to relieve pressure there, but that's not a long term solution, if only because he turns 31 in a month and Clady turns 30 by Opening Day.

Stuff like this is why I'd cheerfully give up a few guys like Jackson, Trevathan and Talib to lock in a bunch of young emerging players (e.g. Barrett, Roby, CJ, Webster and Fowler.) Part of how teams get into cap trouble is developing young players but not giving them long contracts until they've proven themselves good enough to command huge ones: You can't hand out half a dozen $10 million/yr contracts annually.

I think you're right Joel, but Elway refuses to lock in his players ahead of time, preferring not to take any chances and let players play out their contracts before negotiating new ones. The exceptions have been sure fire stars like Chris Harris & Wolfe.

But, failing to re-negotiate Brock Osweiler cost him many millions of $, and failing to re-do Von Miller last off-season will cost even more. He probably could have re-signed Miller to the same kind of deal Justin Houston got last July and saved at least $3 M a year, possibly $5 or more. Miller would likely have re-signed at that point because of the risk of injury in your contract year.

He was on IR in 2013 and missed the SB. If he'd been up for renewal then his value would have been severely diminished and the same would be true now if he'd been hurt and missed any significant portion of this season or was even slowed by injury and had an off-year.

I think Elway is short-sighted in doing this. Sure, he avoids some risk by not re-doing contracts, but he creates problems for himself when players play well.

dogfish
02-14-2016, 02:56 PM
9 news reports that denver is negotiating with malik (http://www.9news.com/news/broncos-negotiating-with-malik-but-osweiler-talks-wait-on-manning/43275307). . . cross your fingers, kids. . .

:defense:

LTC Pain
02-14-2016, 04:12 PM
9 news reports that denver is negotiating with malik (http://www.9news.com/news/broncos-negotiating-with-malik-but-osweiler-talks-wait-on-manning/43275307). . . cross your fingers, kids. . .

Mike Klis of 9News in Denver reports that the team is “negotiating in earnest” with the player who scored the first touchdown of their Super Bowl victory.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/14/report-broncos-negotiating-in-earnest-with-malik-jackson/

Dapper Dan
02-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Mike Klis of 9News in Denver reports that the team is “negotiating in earnest” with the player who scored the first touchdown of their Super Bowl victory.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/14/report-broncos-negotiating-in-earnest-with-malik-jackson/

Where's Earnest?

NightTerror218
02-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Also in report that talks with Oz are on hold until Manning makes up his mind......respect to manning.

LTC Pain
02-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Where's Earnest?

Under yo Momma???

Dapper Dan
02-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Under yo Momma???

That's an odd place for negotiations.

Foochacho
02-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Why sign Trevathon when we could just bring back Nate Webster?

VonDoom
02-14-2016, 07:58 PM

I agree with your assessment as to Ware's importance to the team this year. I've said this numerous times lately. But I think saying it's, "not an option" to cut him is wrong. His cap hit is $11.66 million next year. If he doesn't restructure / take a pay cut, that's a lot of money for a guy who is getting up there and is banged up lot. We'd save $10 million by cutting him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's not here next year, though it's more likely than it was at, say, the beginning of the year.

Jackson is absolutely getting more than Wolfe this offseason. Whether you think he deserves it or not can be debated. Whether the Broncos are the team to pay him can also be debated. But Wolfe is making basically $9 million a year. Jackson will get at least $10 million, and if the reports we've been hearing are true, it's more like to be somewhere in the $11-12 range.

When I first read this, I thought it was positive. But the more I think about it, the more it leads to the original assumption that Jackson won't be here next year. If they're far apart in numbers now, as Klis implies, that divide will only get greater when other teams start throwing money at him. He's a top five FA this offseason. This way, the Broncos can say they tried, but it doesn't seem like they're going to agree.

TXBRONC
02-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Why sign Trevathon when we could just bring back Nate Webster?

I just threw up in my mouth when I read your post.