PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU Justin Houston

WARHORSE
02-13-2016, 01:13 AM
I still hate the Cheevies of course, but it was SO to our advantage that Houston signed his deal with KC. Hes been substantially more productive in the sack market, and there are some arguing points for the Broncos.

I think Von gets a long term deal done sooner rather than later, simply because the groundwork has been done. Von will obviously get more, and he may even become the highest paid defensive player in numbers, but his contract will be formatted to cap advantage for the Broncos. Elway has been stellar in making sure our cap is sound.

OZ, imo should be franchised unless the Broncos think they can get a deal. Mostly because hes still largely unproven and another year will tell everyone more. But who knows how much they are really convinced hes the future vs speaking politically correct.

We get those two done soon, the rest will be smooth for the most part......but there will definitely be some missing guys from this years squad.

Any thoughts on who gets let go?

Davii
02-13-2016, 01:38 AM
The tag on Oz would cost about 20 million. I don't think there's any chance he gets the franchise tag. Von will get tagged while they work toward a deal so that he never even talks to another team.

Joel
02-13-2016, 01:44 AM
Well, I've harped enough on the "sign Von NOW because it'll only get more expensive in 2017; franchise Oz because it's worth the expense to cut him loose with no dead money if he bombs" deal. Suffice it to say I agree with you there. And I concur with what seems to be the consensus that we were never going to re-sign Wolfe AND Jackson, and that Marshall being an RFA means we probably won't re-sign Trevathan either.

Honestly (and maybe I just don't enough about our cap situation) I'm not too worried about 2016: It's 2017 that makes me jittery; I'm hoping we can work out extensions for some of those guys (i.e. Barrett, Colquitt, Stewart, Sanders, Thompson, Vasquez, Walker, Webster, Sly) before another year of cap raises and contract inflates their price, while the end of their CURRENT contracts forces our hand by giving them leverage.

WARHORSE
02-13-2016, 02:02 AM
Von is not going to hit the market, and he knows it. Now, his representatives know that its smart for them to move the Broncos into a position of less leverage. They know exactly the position the BRONCOS are in with their free agents. So they may want to do that, however, they also understand that this could end up hurting Denver. I dont think Von wants to hurt the Broncos chances to repeat. Same for OZ also. So I was really happy to hear Von say it was going to be 'peaceful'.

We can only hope there is some instruction from both OZ and Von to their reps to 'get a deal done'.

MOtorboat
02-13-2016, 02:26 AM
Osweiler will not be tagged.

Miller wil get paid a lot of money. A lot. And he'll be tagged.

NightTerror218
02-13-2016, 11:30 PM
The tag on Oz would cost about 20 million. I don't think there's any chance he gets the franchise tag. Von will get tagged while they work toward a deal so that he never even talks to another team.

Transition tag is an option

Joel
02-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Transition tag is an option
According to Spotrac (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/base/quarterback/), the difference is neglibible: Average of top 5 2016 QB salaries (not counting Peytons)=$18 million even; average of top 10=just over $17 mil.

However, if Oz' agent wants $15 mil/yr on a multi-year deal, is it worth $3 mil more to have insurance against him bombing? Would you pay $3 mil more in 2016 to avoid the risk of eating a $15-20 mil signing bonus in 2017?

DenBronx
02-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Spot on, no way we tag Brock when he will cost substantially less than that with a long term deal. Elway won't overpay for him, he just won't. Von Miller he will break the piggy bank if needed.

wayninja
02-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Superbowl MVP discount!

Joel
02-14-2016, 02:24 AM
Superbowl MVP discount!
If only. The reality is Ware's unlikely to play beyond his final contract year, given his years of back trouble and acquisition of a Ring, so if we lose Von we'll go from having TWO elite pass rushers to NONE within just two years. And Von's so close to Ware he surely knows that as well as anyone.

Pay the SB MVP what he's worth: You're ALWAYS going to, and get your money's worth, so waiting just drives up the price as more teams submit big offers. Wait till 2017 and his demands will just expand with your cap, whereas signing him now means our 2017 cap will increase but his cap hit won't. Even if you just tag him long enough to do a deal this year, you still won't get that tag back to use on Oz nor anyone else.

Just pay the man and spare yourselves and everyone else all the expensive pointless drama. Especially now that Houston's removed cause for delay.

MOtorboat
02-14-2016, 02:26 AM
Luckily, Elway isn't stupid enough to tag Osweiler and pay him way more than he's worth.

wayninja
02-14-2016, 02:37 AM
If only. The reality is Ware's unlikely to play beyond his final contract year, given his years of back trouble and acquisition of a Ring, so if we lose Von we'll go from having TWO elite pass rushers to NONE within just two years. And Von's so close to Ware he surely knows that as well as anyone.

Pay the SB MVP what he's worth: You're ALWAYS going to, and get your money's worth, so waiting just drives up the price as more teams submit big offers. Wait till 2017 and his demands will just expand with your cap, whereas signing him now means our 2017 cap will increase but his cap hit won't. Even if you just tag him long enough to do a deal this year, you still won't get that tag back to use on Oz nor anyone else.

Just pay the man and spare yourselves and everyone else all the expensive pointless drama. Especially now that Houston's removed cause for delay.

I'm not sure who you are trying to convince. Only a very stupid person would not keep von at almost any cost. And a franchise tag guarantees the ceiling (or at least that denver can keep the ceiling). It's a no brainer.

Joel
02-14-2016, 02:58 AM
I'm not sure who you are trying to convince. Only a very stupid person would not keep von at almost any cost. And a franchise tag guarantees the ceiling (or at least that denver can keep the ceiling). It's a no brainer.
No, a franchise tag raises the ceiling: Because a year from now we're right back here doing it again, but with a bigger cap.

A "temporary" tag while doing a 2016 deal averts that, but at the expense of being unable to tag ANYONE this year. It's not like we can tag Von, sign a deal, then move the tag to Oz or someone else next month: Once used it's gone, for good or ill.

wayninja
02-14-2016, 03:00 AM
No, a franchise tag raises the ceiling: Because a year from now we're right back here doing it again, but with a bigger cap.

A "temporary" tag while doing a 2016 deal averts that, but at the expense of being unable to tag ANYONE this year. It's not like we can tag Von, sign a deal, then move the tag to Oz or someone else next month: Once used it's gone, for good or ill.

And?

MOtorboat
02-14-2016, 03:05 AM

So?

Denver used it effectively to sign Thomas last year. The Cowboys used it effectively to sign Bryant too.

What it's not used for is to overpay someone just to keep them.

Davii
02-14-2016, 11:56 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Elway has ever made a player play with the tag. Have they not all signed a long term deal before the season?

That being the case, I would say it's fairly obvious Elway uses the franchise tag as a tool used to negotiate a contract without interference from other teams. So, why wouldn't he put it on Von and use that to work out a deal to ensure nobody comes in with an offer to Von more than we're willing to match?

You use the franchise tag on your franchise player. Von is exponentially more important to the future of this team and franchise.

TXBRONC
02-15-2016, 09:05 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Elway has ever made a player play with the tag. Have they not all signed a long term deal before the season?

That being the case, I would say it's fairly obvious Elway uses the franchise tag as a tool used to negotiate a contract without interference from other teams. So, why wouldn't he put it on Von and use that to work out a deal to ensure nobody comes in with an offer to Von more than we're willing to match?

You use the franchise tag on your franchise player. Von is exponentially more important to the future of this team and franchise.

That is correct. He's used the franchise tag to buy himself time.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-15-2016, 12:13 PM
That is right Elway uses the tag so nobody can interfere with our negotiations, did it with DT and Clady. To me it will be interesting if Von signs before he gets tagged. I have heard while we have put talks on hold there is a deal close with Oz and we are in negotiations with Malik, so if that happens do we tag Malik or Trevathian or do we let Trevathian walk and draft a rookie to play with Marshall who isn't going anywhere this year. If that is the case trading up for Ragland or Lee would make sense.

TXBRONC
02-15-2016, 02:55 PM
That is right Elway uses the tag so nobody can interfere with our negotiations, did it with DT and Clady. To me it will be interesting if Von signs before he gets tagged. I have heard while we have put talks on hold there is a deal close with Oz and we are in negotiations with Malik, so if that happens do we tag Malik or Trevathian or do we let Trevathian walk and draft a rookie to play with Marshall who isn't going anywhere this year. If that is the case trading up for Ragland or Lee would make sense.

I think ideally if Denver can keep the defense in tact would be best but I don't think it is realistic.