PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Peyton Manning to retire?

CrazyHorse
02-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Moving forward next year do you want him as the Broncos starting QB.

aberdien
02-11-2016, 12:31 AM
I want him to retire on top.

Bronco4ever
02-11-2016, 12:36 AM
I voted yes. I don't think he's going to suit up for the Broncos again given the contract circumstance and his play this season. If he thought he could rehab and play some where else for a season, I think he's earned the right to do what he wants as far as playing. I would cheer for him from afar if he continued to play. But I'm greedy and I'd rather he go out on top, as a Super Bowl champion, his last game as a Denver Bronco.

IMO, he doesn't have anything else to prove in the NFL, but if a legend still wants to play and a team is willing to pay for his services, then who am I to tell him what he should do? He can do whatever he wants and I don't think he should be criticized for it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I suppose if he'd play for 5 million

underrated29
02-11-2016, 01:11 AM
Yep and I'm sure he will.

Joel
02-11-2016, 01:16 AM
I can't COUNT all the reasons I want him to retire, nor think of ANY reason he shouldn't.

Will—CAN—he ever a season with a better finish? I'm not talking about his deterioration (yet,) I mean how can ANYONE do better than winning the SB?

Yet he IS deteriorating; visibly and rapidly. He threw twice as many Ints as TDs this year, got BENCHED for the first time in his CAREER.

Sure, he only got benched due to injuries: He's played the last HALF of THREE STRAIGHT seasons hurt; can that change? Part of the talk throughout our playoff run was that benching him half a season have been our and his sole hope, because it was the ONLY way he'd FINALLY enter the playoffs healthy again.

Let's talk some more about injuries: He never would've started for Denver if he hadn't SNAPPED HIS NECK and gotten FOUR SPINAL SURGERIES that FUSED TWO VERTEBRAE. That left him with enough nerve damage he's NEVER regained feeling in his fingertips, which may or may not change. During the SB bye his doctors told him he'll eventually need a hip replacement. And, while the film's provocatively titled "Concussion," perhaps the most chilling revelation in Dr. Omalus research is that SUB-concussive hits can and often do STILL CAUSE CTE.

Then there's the situation specific to his team: We're at the point of no return with Oz, forced to re-sign him as at least our potential franchise QB because even if Manning DOES finish his contract he'll be a 41-year-old FA in 2017, leaving us with no long term QB answer. So Archie's right: Peyton's played his final Denver down—where else CAN he go and learn a new system soon enough he won't embarrass himself in the playoffs (if he even GETS that far)?

Go out on top, while you can still remember your kids' names, with every individual record that matters, including a better head-to-head playoff record and career playoff stats than Tom Brady. You're the ONLY person to EVER win a SB with DIFFERENT teams; htf can ANYONE top that? And if the answer is "it's impossible," why put your disintegrating body through another physically, mentally and emotionally devastating half-year of playing?

Seriously, I challenge ANYONE to present a SINGLE decent reason for Manning to continue. He was chasing a second Ring and finally caught it by the skin of his teeth: Nothing left to gain, nothing left to prove. Close the door on the greatest career of any QB of the SB Era.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 01:30 AM
He needs to focus on staying in one piece, imo. By the time his son is in high school, he may not be physically able to pass the football with him.

Valar Morghulis
02-11-2016, 02:37 AM
I want him to go out on top

For some reason I am kinda really hoping he makes a statement that his four years in Denver were equal to his time in Indy.

Joel
02-11-2016, 03:58 AM

For some reason I am kinda really hoping he makes a statement that his four years in Denver were equal to his time in Indy.
He'll say nothing like that: The Irsays are douchebags, but Colts FANS appreciate their players, and the players appreciate that (the contrast with the Irsays helps.)

DenBronx
02-11-2016, 05:18 AM
I just don't see one logical scenario where he would fit here. There are so many key young guys we need to keep on defense to keep being dominant in this league. I love Manning but I think its time for a youth movement.

Now if Brock plays hardball then I think we should trade up and get a QB in the draft. Would love Goff from Cal State Bears but that's going to be top 10. Browns, Texans, Rams, 49ers and probably many more will be also looking for a QB. So by trading up it might only happen if someone magically falls within striking distance in 1st or 2nd round.

What is the deadline to get a deal done with Brock?

Are there any game manager type QBs on the open market? I honestly believe with the defense we have, if most of it can stay in tact, then we can slide in a cheap rental as a worst case scenario.

DenBronx
02-11-2016, 05:22 AM

He'll say nothing like that: The Irsays are douchebags, but Colts FANS appreciate their players, and the players appreciate that (the contrast with the Irsays helps.)

Why wouldn't he? He went to 2 SBs here just like he did in Indy, in much SHORTER TIME. Who knows how many more he would have went to had he played his whole career here. You could make a case that his wins were sweeter, that he had some of his biggest revenge games here, that he broke many of the most coveted records here and if he retires here now, then he will go out a champ with a pass that was the icing on the cake!

And Joel, Broncos fans appreciate their players a damn lot too, well, except the ones that complain immediately following one of the sweetest SuperBowls in the last 18 years.

-_-

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Why wouldn't he? He went to 2 SBs here just like he did in Indy, in much SHORTER TIME. Who knows how many more he would have went to had he played his whole career here. You could make a case that his wins were sweeter, that he had some of his biggest revenge games here, that he broke many of the most coveted records here and if he retires here now, then he will go out a champ with a pass that was the icing on the cake!

And Joel, Broncos fans appreciate their players a damn lot too, well, except the ones that complain immediately following one of the sweetest SuperBowls in the last 18 years.

-_-

I mean, why would he publicly make that argument? He's not stupid, like Jay Cutler. He won't say that.

Joel
02-11-2016, 05:56 AM
He won't publicly equate 4 years and 2 SBs in Denver with 13 years and 2 SBs in Indy because it would come off as a huge slap in the face to Indy fans.

Like, if you're married for a dozen years and have a couple kids, then get divorced, remarry and have more, you don't stand up in front of ALL your kids and say you love the mother of some of them more than the mother of the others. Even if it's true—even if your first wife's a total raving bitch you can't stand and your new wife's a saint you'd crawl over broken glass for—your oldest kids don't need to hear dad say that about mom.

I mean, why would he publicly make that argument? He's not stupid, like Jay Cutler. He won't say that.
Great analogy.

DenBronx
02-11-2016, 06:17 AM

-_-

You completely missed the point. Valar said if he would publicly state that his time with the Broncos was equal as when he was with Colts. In his retirement speech or HOF speech I can absolutely see him saying that. Why would anyone be offended by that?

Northman
02-11-2016, 06:41 AM
I would like to see him go out on top. I just dont see any scenario where his health is ever going to be 100% and his arm strength is very inconsistent but like i told Missy the other night he still has that alltime win record sitting there so he may come back. If he does though i just dont think it will be in Denver but wherever he goes if it goes south because he cant physically do it than it would be a crappy way to end his career as opposed to going out on top.

Valar Morghulis
02-11-2016, 07:10 AM
You completely missed the point. Valar said if he would publicly state that his time with the Broncos was equal as when he was with Colts. In his retirement speech or HOF speech I can absolutely see him saying that. Why would anyone be offended by that?

Yeah, it's weird, but I really want him to have appreciated his time here as much as we/i appreciated having him.

Also I hate the colts

SR
02-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Yes.

Northman
02-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Yeah, it's weird, but I really want him to have appreciated his time here as much as we/i appreciated having him.

Also I hate the colts

I have no doubt that if Manning announces his retirement he will thank Elway and the Broncos for taking the chance on him and help him get to 2 SB's along with a championship. If you would of asked me 4 years ago if i thought we would be able to get there with such a young squad i would of said no. I really thought Manning might go with SF at the time because of how close they were defensively but am so glad he chose us instead. Its been a fun albeit strange ride but you cant really ask for anything better in terms of how it played out with Manning. He was a huge impact for Denver likewise Denver and Elway in particular was a huge impact for him. I think he is very appreciative considering the Colts wanted to move on before he was actually done. Manning would never say it but i know deep down he is saying "Irsay, suck my dick boy!". lol

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Your whole post talked about his time in Denver being better so I'm sorry if I missed your point of them being equal.

Grover
02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
The strangest thing that could happen is Manning saying he wants to come back for one more year and try a repeat - and then Elway cuts him.

But that won't happen because Manning will retire on top and move on.

broncofaninfla
02-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Yes for two primary reasons, one to see him retire on top as Elway did and two because I feel at this point of his career Brock is better.

NightTerror218
02-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Yes because he deserves to go out on top.

Also his body won't survive a full season. He would have to sit out stretches of the season and need the bye week again before playoffs.

I would like to see a QB who can play in Kubiak's system better and see what this offense is capable of.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2016, 11:02 AM
I would like for him to do what he wants.

Its easy to say "I want him to retire because I want to remember him right now."

But thenI think, what would I rather watch.... a Kasey Keenum led Houston team, or a Peyton Manning led Houston team? No matter how poorly Manning played this season, I STILL would much rather watch him play over some of the other choices in the NFL. So, in a sense, he's still entertaining for the NFL.

Joel
02-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Probably because he spent >3X as long there, they chose HIM when he was a rookie rather than being chosen BY him when he was a HoFer, and they never booed him off his "home" field as we did just a few months ago. Whether he equated his disproportionate time and appreciation from both fan bases next week or during his HoF induction, that would be "equally" a slap in the face of Colts fans. Hell, look at the reception they gave him his first game back there:

If Manning DOES play on in, say KC, does anyone think the Mile High crowd will welcome him back with a visiting team the way the Lucas Oil crowd did? Do you REALLY think he's forgotten that the same Denver fans who cheered him for a couple years before booing him for a couple years spent a DOZEN years hating his guts when he was beating Shannys playoff teams by 30 pts? I'm sure he appreciates what has (sometimes) been a special relationship with Denver fans, but EQUALLY?

Also I hate the colts
Well, that's the crux of it, but I doubt he shares your loathing: WHY do you hate the Colts? Why care about them AT ALL? Because Mannings Colts made our lives Hell. There's really no other good reason, because that was the first time they were relevant since dumping Unitas, and until his last three seasons we weren't even in the same League, so there was no reason to care. But your bad memories of Mannings Colts annually owning us are GOOD memories for him.

tripp
02-11-2016, 11:52 AM
I think if he wants to keep his image intact, he should. I'd hate to see him pull a Brett Favre. Retire on top. He mentioned how he hasn't felt "the same" since his neck surgery. He claimed he doesn't have much feeling in some of his fingers. What does he have to prove? He won the SB on the back of a defense. Where's he going to go where he'll be given that kind of opportunity/slack to be allowed to turn the ball over that many times, and still be assured he has the job.

There's too many reasons why he should retire, and not many for why he shouldn't. The last argument you could possibly make was to win another SB. He's done that. Hang the hat up, and keep your image intact.

TXBRONC
02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
I think he going to retire. While the all time passing yardage is within his grasp mathematically that really is only left for him to shoot for.

NightTerror218
02-11-2016, 12:00 PM
I think he going to retire. While the all time passing yardage is within his grasp mathematically that really is only left for him to shoot for.

I think he has that record this year. He got it during the Chiefs game that he had all the ints.

tripp
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Probably because he spent >3X as long there, they chose HIM when he was a rookie rather than being chosen BY him when he was a HoFer, and they never booed him off his "home" field as we did just a few months ago. Whether he equated his disproportionate time and appreciation from both fan bases next week or during his HoF induction, that would be "equally" a slap in the face of Colts fans. Hell, look at the reception they gave him his first game back there:

If Manning DOES play on in, say KC, does anyone think the Mile High crowd will welcome him back with a visiting team the way the Lucas Oil crowd did? Do you REALLY think he's forgotten that the same Denver fans who cheered him for a couple years before booing him for a couple years spent a DOZEN years hating his guts when he was beating Shannys playoff teams by 30 pts? I'm sure he appreciates what has (sometimes) been a special relationship with Denver fans, but EQUALLY?

Well, that's the crux of it, but I doubt he shares your loathing: WHY do you hate the Colts? Why care about them AT ALL? Because Mannings Colts made our lives Hell. There's really no other good reason, because that was the first time they were relevant since dumping Unitas, and until his last three seasons we weren't even in the same League, so there was no reason to care. But your bad memories of Mannings Colts annually owning us are GOOD memories for him.

While I agree about how the Colts took a chance on him when they drafted him, and we took him on as a future HoFer. However... I don't think you could name another franchise out there, that has done possibly everything they could to arm Manning with an elite offense like we did, catered to his style of offense (for 3 years), and won him a SB in 4 years, with 2 SB appearances. I don't think any of this should go without consideration. I know a lot of people argue it doesn't matter where you retire, because at the end of the day in the HoF, it shows the two teams you played for, and your accolades for each team. I'll understand if he retires as a Colt, but I wouldn't be shocked if he retires as a Bronco.

I think he means JUST as much as to the city of Denver and Broncos fans, as he does to the city of Indianapolis, and their fans. Jim Irsay's tweet was a poor timed tweet since Peyton was still apart of the Denver Broncos, and was preparing for a Super Bowl FOR the Denver Broncos. He tried to take the spot light out of Denver, and shine it on Indy because their season was so awful, they warranted ZERO attention all season long.

EastCoastBronco
02-11-2016, 12:17 PM
He is far too smart to pull a "Favre" on this.
He will announce that he's hanging them up within the next week, I bet.
I hope he does because it was really painful watching him play when he wasn't even 50% of his former self.
He'll jump before he's pushed...I guarantee it.

Northman
02-11-2016, 12:22 PM
I would like for him to do what he wants.

Its easy to say "I want him to retire because I want to remember him right now."

But thenI think, what would I rather watch.... a Kasey Keenum led Houston team, or a Peyton Manning led Houston team? No matter how poorly Manning played this season, I STILL would much rather watch him play over some of the other choices in the NFL. So, in a sense, he's still entertaining for the NFL.

Meh, i really cant say i agree. Peyton really struggled this year and im not sure its any better than what ive witnessed across the board on other teams. I think the guy is done personally and i would hate to watch him struggle with a team that may plummet because they are not near as talented as this Bronco team.

OrangeHoof
02-11-2016, 12:54 PM
At some point, after these last two games when they had trophy ceremonies, I really wanted to hear him say that he's the last person on the stage who ought to be holding up the trophy, that the defensive guys should hold the trophy and he was just the guy taking the offensive snaps. That would have been immensely classy. Better than saying he wanted to drink some Buds.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
At some point, after these last two games when they had trophy ceremonies, I really wanted to hear him say that he's the last person on the stage who ought to be holding up the trophy, that the defensive guys should hold the trophy and he was just the guy taking the offensive snaps. That would have been immensely classy. Better than saying he wanted to drink some Buds.

If you don't want him to celebrate, don't let him win.

pulse
02-11-2016, 01:56 PM
He's credited the defense and riding the defense over and over again. The man was celebrating. Does he require a presidential script writer every time he's in front of a crowd? Too bad he didn't say something literally selfish in a moment of excitement and done the dab.

broncofaninfla
02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Anybody else wonder why Manning never limped with what was described as a painful foot injury? Almost appeared to be a smokescreen to cover diminishing throwing skills. He hasn't been the same QB since the last quarter of the 2014 season.

Hardwired
02-11-2016, 03:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ33OqxvX1I

Ravage!!!
02-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Anybody else wonder why Manning never limped with what was described as a painful foot injury? Almost appeared to be a smokescreen to cover diminishing throwing skills. He hasn't been the same QB since the last quarter of the 2014 season.

seriously? A cover-up conspiracy?

BroncoNut
02-11-2016, 03:59 PM

I've considered that. Fasciitis or whatever is pretty debilitating, but I'm no physical therapist.

The Glue Factory
02-11-2016, 04:07 PM
seriously? A cover-up conspiracy?

Didn't you know EVERYTHING is a conspiracy now?

Davii
02-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm nearly positive he'll retire. The records are not his driving focus like so many think. He won't come back purely to pass Brett Farve. If the Broncos wanted him back he might return, but I don't think Elway wants to do another year with Peyton, especially not at the dollar figures that would mean. That being the case I don't think he plays anymore. I don't see Peyton wanting to start over somewhere else just to break Brett's record. I, personally, think it would be silly. He has the opportunity to retire a champion with his health somewhat intact, were I Peyton I'd jump on it.

Davii
02-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Really? lol

LawDog
02-11-2016, 05:52 PM
So, this is where I am as far as Peyton is concerned. I'd like him to retire, he got his second ring, time to move on to the next phase of his life. If he decides to try and play another year, as long as it has nothing to do with Denver or any team that Denver plays in the regular season next year I couldn't really care less. I'm a Bronco fan. It was great that Elway was able to get him to sign here after Irsay kicked him to the curb, but I really only viewed him as a long-term rental. And, if you think about it we only got two great years out of him, one good year, and one very mixed year. This year he "earned back" his 4 million pay cut primarily by not screwing the pooch while our defense was wreaking havoc through the playoffs. All the records that he set while playing here were great fun to watch, but the record that really matters to me is winning the Lombardi which Denver won as a team (not despite Peyton, but certainly not because of Peyton). And, while he will certainly be in the HOF, he most likely will do one of those one-day contract things and go in as a Colt. And, I don't want to see him on our Ring of Fame either to be quite honest. Thanks for being here, have some pretty cool memories, but I'm on to Brock and excited to see what Kubes can do with him next year.

Cugel
02-11-2016, 06:27 PM
I think Peyton could play for another 2 years. I don't think he wants to and he certainly doesn't want to come back and play for the Broncos again, nor do they want him.

In looking carefully at Peyton's video tape going back to 2012 it doesn't look a lot different than now.

Ever since his 4 neck surgeries he's been old, slow, fragile, with a weak arm and partial nerve damage in his fingers that never healed. Yet he threw for 55 TDs and 5500 yards in 2013, the best ever.

In 2012 he threw 3 INTs in the first half against the Falcons. In 2013 the SB was a fiasco. In 2014 he got hurt the last 4 games of the season and played poorly into the playoffs. And this season he was bad most of the year, and had a poor SB.

But, there was one common factor in all that lack of success - his OL couldn't block for him and protect him. In the 2012 Falcons game they got defenders right in his face so he had nowhere to step up into the pocket and he had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. Result - bad throws and bad decisions and INTs. Same thing in the SB, the Colts playoff game, and this last SB.

So, he could still play - IF he played for a team with a great pass-blocking OL that could protect him, give him a clean pocket to throw from, and time to sit back and wait for his receivers to get open - he could come back and hope to stay healthy and be effective in 2016. But, he's not going to move around and buy time when the protection breaks down.

And in Denver the OL has been horrible for 3 years now. They started Chris Clark, Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin in the 2013 SB and none of them were even on the team in 2015. You can bet that Ryan Harris, Evan Mathis, and Michael Schofield won't be starting in 2016 and all should be cut. That shows you what the Broncos think of their OL.

The result was that Peyton got hurt and was ineffective. Then Brock Osweiler came in for 7 games, and he ended up with a torn knee ligament, a separated shoulder and rib injuries. In short, he got the snot beaten out of him just like Peyton did. But, the 2 months of rest allowed Peyton to be healthy enough to start and be reasonably effective in the playoffs.

Then in the SB, Kubiak had the most conservative game plan ever.

On the last TD with CJ Anderson, Peyton checked out of the play and went into the shotgun, but Kubiak immediately called time-out. They conferred on the sideline, and Kubiak made Peyton go back to the running play. He didn't want to take any risks at all.

That's not how Peyton wants to play. So, any team that wanted him would have to let him run the offense HIS way. I don't know that any team would be willing to do that. They would also have to have a really great OL at pass-blocking to protect him, a decent running game and a couple of talented WRs to throw to.

DenBronx
02-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Also I hate the colts

Same here and I think he will do just that.

DenBronx
02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

Your whole post talked about his time in Denver being better so I'm sorry if I missed your point of them being equal.

I think his victories and wins were that much sweeter here. I doubt he will publicly say that but I am sure he will definitely talk about his time here as an equal. Does that make sense? Or should I take my logic behind the barn and shoot it? Kevin OLeary style.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I think his victories and wins were that much sweeter here. I doubt he will publicly say that but I am sure he will definitely talk about his time here as an equal. Does that make sense? Or should I take my logic behind the barn and shoot it? Kevin OLeary style.

I think he will appreciate his time here but he won't compare his time here to his time there. It would be politically incorrect and he's too great of a business man.

tubby
02-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Aww hell haw! Gives Denver the best chance of back-to-back Super Bowls, duh!

tubby
02-12-2016, 12:34 AM
Wooooow results are stunning. Get ready if he does retire...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Add C.J. Anderson to the list of people who believe the Peyton Manning era should come to an end.

The Denver Broncos running back shared his thoughts on Manning's future while appearing on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access.

When asked whether Manning should retire, Anderson responded, "I think so, man. Let him ride off into the sunset in the correct way. What else does he have to do? He's got five MVPs, two Super Bowl rings, he's first in every statistical category. My man 18, man, walk off, man ... it was a pleasure one-eight. I had fun with you."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636032/article/cj-anderson-says-peyton-manning-should-retire

Joel
02-14-2016, 02:53 AM
CJ's a smart, talented and versatile dude; really hope we re-sign him to a long term deal as our starter (and he stays healthy.)

TXBRONC
02-14-2016, 08:46 AM

I don't know. I think he was hurt but his physical skills are diminished.

GEM
02-14-2016, 09:08 AM

I want that for the simple fact of shutting my brother in law up. Stupid Colts fan. Constantly get to hear how he's a Colt, then constantly remind him that his team threw him away. Really enjoy pointing out to him that since they threw him away, he's been to 2 Super Bowls while Luck has been to 0. :D. He really hates that I point out his team investing all their eggs in qb, while putting no one around him to truly compete. He hates me. :D

Joel
02-14-2016, 11:06 AM
He really hates that I point out his team investing all their eggs in qb, while putting no one around him to truly compete.
Isn't that Indys SOP though? Manning's achieved as much in 4 years >35 as he did in 13 <35, but at least Irsay gave him a line, despite denying him a D: Luck's got NOTHING except Hilton and a prayer. Then they hide his broken ribs from the League Office, send him out there to face Miller and Ware for 3½ hours, and lose him for half the season when he comes back with lacerated internal organs. The way the Irsays run that team is criminal. Pity Manning couldn't have been drafted by the defending champs in '98; he probably wins half a dozen SBs then (and Brady "wins" NONE.)

gregbroncs
02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Nope. My wife had Plantar Fascia and never limped. It's painful but limping doesn't ease the pain, may even make it hurt worse because limping puts more pressure on the part of the foot that hurt. That is what she said.

gregbroncs
02-14-2016, 11:41 AM
I think Peyton could play for another 2 years. I don't think he wants to and he certainly doesn't want to come back and play for the Broncos again, nor do they want him.

In looking carefully at Peyton's video tape going back to 2012 it doesn't look a lot different than now.

Ever since his 4 neck surgeries he's been old, slow, fragile, with a weak arm and partial nerve damage in his fingers that never healed. Yet he threw for 55 TDs and 5500 yards in 2013, the best ever.

In 2012 he threw 3 INTs in the first half against the Falcons. In 2013 the SB was a fiasco. In 2014 he got hurt the last 4 games of the season and played poorly into the playoffs. And this season he was bad most of the year, and had a poor SB.

But, there was one common factor in all that lack of success - his OL couldn't block for him and protect him. In the 2012 Falcons game they got defenders right in his face so he had nowhere to step up into the pocket and he had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. Result - bad throws and bad decisions and INTs. Same thing in the SB, the Colts playoff game, and this last SB.

So, he could still play - IF he played for a team with a great pass-blocking OL that could protect him, give him a clean pocket to throw from, and time to sit back and wait for his receivers to get open - he could come back and hope to stay healthy and be effective in 2016. But, he's not going to move around and buy time when the protection breaks down.

And in Denver the OL has been horrible for 3 years now. They started Chris Clark, Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin in the 2013 SB and none of them were even on the team in 2015. You can bet that Ryan Harris, Evan Mathis, and Michael Schofield won't be starting in 2016 and all should be cut. That shows you what the Broncos think of their OL.

The result was that Peyton got hurt and was ineffective. Then Brock Osweiler came in for 7 games, and he ended up with a torn knee ligament, a separated shoulder and rib injuries. In short, he got the snot beaten out of him just like Peyton did. But, the 2 months of rest allowed Peyton to be healthy enough to start and be reasonably effective in the playoffs.

Then in the SB, Kubiak had the most conservative game plan ever.

On the last TD with CJ Anderson, Peyton checked out of the play and went into the shotgun, but Kubiak immediately called time-out. They conferred on the sideline, and Kubiak made Peyton go back to the running play. He didn't want to take any risks at all.

That's not how Peyton wants to play. So, any team that wanted him would have to let him run the offense HIS way. I don't know that any team would be willing to do that. They would also have to have a really great OL at pass-blocking to protect him, a decent running game and a couple of talented WRs to throw to.Your O-line argument falls apart once you compare him to Brock. Who in his first real action of his career outplayed Manning for the majority of his time on the field. Also the offense Manning's way doesn't really work for him anymore because A)he can no longer run it correctly. And B)teams have figured out how to stop it, when Manning runs it.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-14-2016, 01:27 PM
I voted yes for 2 reasons:

1. Like most people here, I want him to go out a champion. He's been a one man NFL establishment for so long that it would be a shame for him not to. The last thing I want is to see him play for a mediocre or bad team and watch him get his ass kicked weekly. I'd like to see him go out with his dignity and health intact. Better to go out on a high note than with maybe one more record that doesn't have any bearing on his legacy. His already a first ballot HOFer. He already has pretty much every passing record. I want him to retire with grace like JFE, not with futility like Favre.

2. It's selfish, but I think the Broncos should move on to the next chapter. For the past year and a half, his body has been breaking down and he just isn't the passer he used to be. Whether or not it's Brock time, I don't think it's in the Broncos best interest to be Manning time anymore. He's not the best fit for our scheme. He's a great on field coach, but not a top player anymore. I want what's best for the Broncos, not just what's best for Manning.

Nomad
02-14-2016, 02:50 PM
His kids are little. He needs to enjoy them before they grow up, and they grow up so fast.

TXBRONC
02-15-2016, 02:51 PM
His kids are little. He needs to enjoy them before they grow up, and they grow up so fast.

Agreed.

tubby
02-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Tthere are two questions being asked here. The thread title is a question and the poll is a separate question.

The thread title - Do you want Peyton Manning to retire? NO
Poll question - Should Manning Retire? YES

LTC Pain
02-16-2016, 09:27 PM
Bleacher Report is reporting that if PM plays next year that it won't be with the Broncos. The part about the relationship between Elway and PM souring last season, if true, is a bit disturbing and surprising.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2616828-peyton-manning-reportedly-wont-return-to-broncos-if-qb-continues-career?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Bleacher Report is reporting that if PM plays next year that it won't be with the Broncos. The part about the relationship between Elway and PM souring last season, if true, is a bit disturbing and surprising. http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2616828-peyton-manning-reportedly-wont-return-to-broncos-if-qb-continues-career?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Eh, I scanned the article. Elway has commented many times he will not be a buddy of the players. That for the good of the Denver Broncos he must remain impartial and so on. Balls.

I'm sure this season did cause tension for Peyton but it ******* worked. What more would he want?

I hope so much Peyton retires as in hindsight whatever happened tension-wise there will fall by the wayside. Elway's / Kubiak's way worked. I'm as surprised as anyone. Peyton has an opportunity to ride off into the sunset a Champion. Elway delivered.

Northman
02-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Elway cant afford to be buddy buddy with players, he wouldnt of gotten this far with the team if he had been.

GEM
02-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Did it really sour? I don't see where that came from a source, just some guy on Walter Football/Bleacher Report saying so.

**EDIT**
Didn't see any backup for that comment. I did go to Walter Football and there is an article there.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Bill Parcells used to say that winning is a great deodorant, and that certainly has been proven true time and again in the NFL. While the Denver Broncos won the ultimate prize of Super Bowl 50, that sweet smell won't mask some of the disgust in Denver. In fact, multiple relationships at the most important position on the team are tenuous entering this offseason. In speaking with sources, they say the Broncos are going to have real changes at the quarterback position in the weeks to come.

Sources say that Broncos general manager John Elway is done with Peyton Manning, and he won't be back with the team next year. The relationship between Manning and Elway has deteriorated over the past season, and Elway is ready to move on. Manning is faced with a decision on retiring, but sources say he won't be returning to Denver if he decides he wants to play next year.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php#3ZTAbPEfIjYuJeIV.99

Pretty easy to say sources, but I haven't seen that blurb anywhere else but there. Seems that would be pretty good piece of news for NFL sites. It sounds more like whoever that writer is derived that out of Archie's comment. Perhaps Archie had access to comments made between Elway and Manning that Elway wouldn't be paying $19million for his services. That doesn't mean the relationship soured, that's a GM making a decision for his football team....his job. :shocked:

Ravage!!!
02-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Did it really sour? I don't see where that came from a source, just some guy on Walter Football/Bleacher Report saying so.

**EDIT**
Didn't see any backup for that comment. I did go to Walter Football and there is an article there.

Pretty easy to say sources, but I haven't seen that blurb anywhere else but there. Seems that would be pretty good piece of news for NFL sites. It sounds more like whoever that writer is derived that out of Archie's comment. Perhaps Archie had access to comments made between Elway and Manning that Elway wouldn't be paying $19million for his services. That doesn't mean the relationship soured, that's a GM making a decision for his football team....his job. :shocked:

This, to me, sounds like a writer that is just trying to get clicks and attention by writing a dramatic BS piece. This type of "news" gets people's attention because readers EAT UP drama. I've never ever heard that there has been some kind of tension between Manning and Elway, and can't see why there would be. This piece is pure trash for "click bait." Nothing more.

TXBRONC
02-17-2016, 01:21 PM

**EDIT**

I wouldn't surprise if Elway thinks Manning should retire but that doesn't mean they are bitter enemies.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
They just won the SB. Who cares about the bleacher report.

NightTerror218
02-17-2016, 02:34 PM
This is the 2nd article I have ever heard of that says the Elway and Manning relationship has taken a hit.

Elway should relate to his players and not be buddy buddy for the reason of having to make tough decisions.

Lancane
02-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Archie Manning is usually the source or one of his confidants are when it comes to these type stories. He was pretty adamant about his son being done in Denver, more so then anything else asked. And usually where there is smoke there is fire. I would not be surprised if thevrelationship soured, but I bet it changed a little bit with winning the Super Bowl.

Personally, I am past done with Peyton, his supporters have gotten outlandish and are starting to remind me of the Tebowites in their holy fervor despite evidence of his short comings and failing ability.

BroncoJoe
02-17-2016, 04:50 PM
I think if it soured, it's because Elway recognized Manning's skills were deteriorating. He simply isn't worth anywhere near $20 million. Last year and this year.

Love Manning and what he brought to the Broncos, but I'm sure Elway is hoping against hope he doesn't have to cut him this year.

Ravage!!!
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Archie Manning is usually the source or one of his confidants are when it comes to these type stories. He was pretty adamant about his son being done in Denver, more so then anything else asked. And usually where there is smoke there is fire. I would not be surprised if thevrelationship soured, but I bet it changed a little bit with winning the Super Bowl.

Personally, I am past done with Peyton, his supporters have gotten outlandish and are starting to remind me of the Tebowites in their holy fervor despite evidence of his short comings and failing ability.

whoa whoa...lets not go overboard

TXBRONC
02-17-2016, 05:03 PM
This is the 2nd article I have ever heard of that says the Elway and Manning relationship has taken a hit.

Elway should relate to his players and not be buddy buddy for the reason of having to make tough decisions.

Daniel Synder was buddy buddy with RGIII and caused problems for Shanahan.

Lancane
02-17-2016, 07:05 PM
whoa whoa...lets not go overboard

Not really overboard Rav, every article on Peyton is riddled with comments about his greatness and ability to play by reverent fans, discounting all else to the contrary.

Joel
02-18-2016, 01:47 AM
I want Manning to retire because he, we and EVERYONE need the circus to end. We're long past the point where ANYONE benefited from it (if there ever was such a point.) Go out a winner, having just accomplished (yet) a(nother) feat UNMATCHED BY ANY OTHER QB IN NFL HISTORY. Seriously, how do you top that, and why try? When it means further punishing a body that's way past ability to compete on an elite level, amid relentless sniping by anyone and everyone with an ax to grind.

You can't choose whether things end, because all things do: You can choose HOW things end, and this would be the best possible end. TAKE it, and be grateful you can.

Ravage!!!
02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
I'm pretty sick of peole telling someone ELSE they n eed to retire because 'they' don't want to hear about them anymore..or that THEY don't "think" there is any more to accomplish. 'THEY' think its best option for YOU, because THEY think THEY know best. THEY believe it's your career is over, and thus THEY want you to simply quit what you've been doing since 6 yrs old (playing competitively, not in the back yard). Just quit. Give it up. Stop the only thing you've known because THEY are tired of your fans loving you.

Northman
02-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Im sick of all of you ********.

TXBRONC
02-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Im sick of all of you ********.

Well screw you and horse you road in on.

Talk to you later bro. :D

Simple Jaded
02-21-2016, 09:51 PM
I don't care.