PDA

View Full Version : Sacco Sez: The Prince of Palo Alto

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
With a week of practice at Stanford leading up to the Broncos' Super Bowl 50 victory, John Elway returned to the ground where he first made a national name for himself.

After an achievement as fabulous as what the Denver Broncos just accomplished, someone could just pick any angle and focus a column on it.

I am choosing this one because I have been waiting for years to use the above headline. Seriously, I am writing it because I think it's a cool headline, but I think we all agree there is a lot of substance there.

In my longtime role with the Broncos, I always tried to make time to talk with fans who cared enough to call long distance, and one of those was "Bennie from The Bronx."

Bennie not only calls talk shows in New York regularly, but he has made a lot of team and league contacts over the years.

One day he said to me, only half in jest, "What is it with the Elway guy? He plays for 16 years and you do nothing but win. Then he retires and you win not so much. Then he comes back, and you win all the time, all over again!"

Bennie was so right.

There is plenty of credit to go around in the Broncos' third World Championship — which, by the way, puts Denver into the top nine teams in number of Super Bowl wins — but John Elway certainly is at the center of the wagon wheel in terms of putting this together.

Since Elway became the Broncos' general manager, Denver has had the best record in pro football, from 2012 through 2015.

Twenty-one of the 22 starters were acquired by Elway, who recently told national sportswriter Peter King that "We don't draft all-pros. We develop all-pros."

rest - interesting - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sacco-Sez-The-Prince-of-Palo-Alto/63c24567-b832-4d6b-93d9-2be446df3403

BroncoJoe
02-10-2016, 04:19 PM
"We don't draft all-pros. We develop all-pros."

Best. Line. Ever.