PDA

View Full Version : PREGAME Media Panther Hype

WARHORSE
02-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Only Brandon Marshall and Tony Gonzales picked Denver.

I was purposely pretty quiet when everyone and their brother was picking Carolina to win. I also thought Vegas was fired up that everyone was betting on the Panthers. I couldnt understand it really, but was happy to hear it because I didnt want our Broncos going into the game thinking they were favored.....we dont usually play well in big games in which we are favored.

But I never did get that no one talked about how our defense dismantled a quarterback in Tom Brady, who was lighting it up this past year, has an unbelievable gameday focus, has already proven beyond doubt his pedigree as a big game performer, and who had three very good receiving threats in Gronk, Edelman and Amendola.

If this defense tore Brady limb from limb, and he gets rid of the ball quickly, reads blitzes on his worst day FAR better than Cam, how in the world would you think Cam would have anything but a long day ahead? Even the plays he made with his legs were predictable. He would get some runs, but he would still have to sustain drives. I just didnt see it and when the ball was kicked off I was feeling very confident. When Cam got shut down on the first drive, then strip sacked for the score in the next, I was all in that we were going to win.

Another thing. I think Peyton could have carved them up if he were given free reign. His throws looked strong, (yes I realize he threw the INT on the move to his left which is a difficult throw and may not have been ready for the big man) and I believe if we would have spread them out and let Peyton go hurry up we would have crushed them. They couldnt match up with us spread out or otherwise.
Peyton would have taken the mismatch every time. Kubiak is calling the plays and expects Manning to run them. I feel that removes from play our best offensive weapon: Peytons mind. We won, and thats what matters, but I think Peyton can still play regardless if healthy.

I also honestly feel thats the reason Archie Manning said Peyton is done in Denver. My thought is he knows Peyton is frustrated in this offense, which I can understand. I didnt understand not letting Peyton control the playcalling from the LOS, regardless of the new offense.

DenBronx
02-10-2016, 02:44 PM
The love fest for the Panthers was nauseating. It also became a race thing with black QB vs white QB. Churches in Oakland were passing out the front page of the newspaper that said come celebrate 50th anniversary of SuperBowl and Black Panther party. So alot of people were hyping up the Panthers just because of the black Panther similarities.

But no one picked us except for a few and Cam still won't accept responsibility for acting like a child for his post game interview or bitch for not diving on the fumble.

The bottom line for me is their tears taste delicious.

pulse
02-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm sick of the black vs white QB horseshit. Why oh why did it have to be brought up yet again? I'll take Russell Wilson over 90% of the starting QBs in the league, including Cam. Cam needs to get over himself. No secret at all that Cam is an arrogant person. Sure, he is one hell of a QB. But his selfish attitude may have cost him during actual gameplay this time. I cannot imagine another starting NFL QB that doesn't dive for the football and fight for it as soon as realizing it on the ground, especially in that situation. And the points Cam brought up about QBs running off the field after an INT was a joke or making a business decision to protect his legs. Really!? The ball is within two yards of you on the ground with 4 minutes left in a winnable Super Bowl. If I were in the Panthers' organization, I'd be furious. But what are you going to do? Bench him next season? No. You can only hope he matures and hope that doesn't come back to haunt him if that indeed ends up being their only shot to win a Super Bowl while he is their QB.

WARHORSE
02-10-2016, 03:26 PM
I forget which commentator on NFL Network it was, but someone was saying something to the effect of "Well, we already know the MVP of the superbowl will be Cam..."

I thought, yeah, go ahead and keep saying stupid things. Unbelievable.

And its unfortunate that Cam hasnt grown up enough to take responsibility for bad behavior, hiding behind: Im not going to conform, Im going to be myself.

Well brother, no matter WHAT you do, youre ALWAYS yourself. That doesnt mean you have to be considerate of others, but dont cry when everyone else is lombasting you for idiotic behavior while 'just being themselves'.

Locnar
02-10-2016, 03:39 PM
I listen to the Lebatard show and Bomanis podcast. They are the biggest shills for Cam and the Panthers. Nothing felt better than shutting them up.

pulse
02-10-2016, 04:31 PM
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/vader626/0CF3043B-0535-4A80-AA39-8CFA3CEC5C4F_zpssmsfhfta.jpg

BroncoJoe
02-10-2016, 04:49 PM
That's definitely the best one.

SR
02-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Another 8585

DenBronx
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
R.I.P. Dab

Murdered by Von 2/7/16

Joel
02-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Another thing. I think Peyton could have carved them up if he were given free reign. His throws looked strong, (yes I realize he threw the INT on the move to his left which is a difficult throw and may not have been ready for the big man) and I believe if we would have spread them out and let Peyton go hurry up we would have crushed them. They couldnt match up with us spread out or otherwise.

Peyton would have taken the mismatch every time. Kubiak is calling the plays and expects Manning to run them. I feel that removes from play our best offensive weapon: Peytons mind. We won, and thats what matters, but I think Peyton can still play regardless if healthy.

I also honestly feel thats the reason Archie Manning said Peyton is done in Denver. My thought is he knows Peyton is frustrated in this offense, which I can understand. I didnt understand not letting Peyton control the playcalling from the LOS, regardless of the new offense.
I agree we COULD'VE won a shootout, but we also COULD'VE lost it just as easily: Why take needless risk? After the NFCCG, whether a shootout was needed or needless was my biggest question, because I found it so hard to answer. In the end, I came down to "well, if run-heavy's losing by one or two scores we can always go to the air and take our chances; if pass-heavy's losing by 4-5 scores, there's NO Plan B."

In the end, the Broncos proved, as they have all year, that we actually DO win a vanilla game every time. In that scenario, the only way the lesser team has a CHANCE is to force a shootout where CHANCE is the deciding factor. When that's the case, you should do everything in your power to minimize luck as much as possible, just as your opponent should do everything in ITS power to maximize luck as much as possible.

Not just in the SB, but this WHOLE SEASON, Kubiak's vindicated himself as an elite coach. He took an exceptionally talented team notorious for choking away games by showing up late or leaving early and—in a SINGLE YEAR—transformed them into a squad that played a full 60:00 (MORE on THREE occasions) and consistently won close low-variance games, while retaining the ability to MAKE it high-variance and win when needed.

We can win either way; as Wades dad once said of Mike Shulas, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n." Wade definitely deserves full credit for his huge role in "changing the culture" to that; our Championship season was a huge vindication for Wade and Bum as well. Ultimately, volunteering for a shootout would've only given Camolina a punchers chance in a game where they otherwise had NONE: Why play a game we CAN win instead of a game we MUST win?

That's before even considering that Camolina scored virtually ALL its points this years off of either Cam or its defense leading the NFL in turnovers: They WANT opponents to play high-variance while THEY play low-variance (and who doesn't; what's amazing is that they managed to make teams DO it 17 times.) Cam scored 45 TDs this year while the rest of his offense scored just 9, and that was with their D giving them more short fields than anyone else. Kubiak called it right.

Northman
02-11-2016, 06:46 AM
We wouldnt of been able to carve them up, not with Manning at least. The last time we tried to open it up like that the Chiefs intercepted Manning 4 times. The way we went into the SB was the correct way, you keep going with whats working and what allows you the best chance to win. Its not pretty but its effective and it showed this past Sunday. A lot of the grumblings this year in terms of offense for us is the exact same thing i saw with Ravens fans in 2000. But neither fanbase is talking now that they have a SB victory because of it.

Tned
02-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Responding to War's OP, some thoughts.

First, the pregame (two weeks leading up) coverage were awful. Accept for the rare discussion about how good the Broncos defense was, which usually include talk of the Panther' defense being right up there, and some argued even better, there was little talk about much good about the Broncos. Typically, whenever anyone talked about the Broncos having a chance to win, it was just in the context of how it would be a good story if Manning went out a champ and not to bet again Manning, maybe he had one last miracle.

Second, as to dismantling Brady and that offense. It seems that many commentators seemed to very quickly get in lock step with the party line that the Patriots line was in such disarray that it was the cause of everything we saw, and therefore the defensive performance was discounted.

Bottom line, as often happens with our modern "become part of the story" and "jump on populous memes" media, they all quickly jumped on the excitement that was the Cam train and quickly concluded that there was no defense that could stop him. They concluded that we were seeing the emergence of this QB superstar that literally, was unstoppable. The more that was said, the more that became the only narrative for the game, and each report expanded on that theme.

I finally got to the point that other than some Denver radio, I wasn't watching much pre game coverage by the end. Saturday night I watched Scorched Trials, Sunday early afternoon I watched another movie (drawing a blank). I got to the point where I needed to have time pass, but without watching anymore "expert" analysis about how the Broncos had no chance in the game, other than if the football gods decided to interfere with divine intervention to allow Manning to ride into the sunset a SB champion in his last rodeo.

Northman
02-11-2016, 09:00 AM
I didnt watch or listen to any news outlets going up the game. I knew what was being said in the media because of the articles i saw on FB but was glad the Denver players were not doing much talking. I just went about my business believing they would prove the pundits wrong and they did. If Denver could get by Pitt and NE i knew they had a real shot beating Carolina who i felt was not quite as good as their record indicated. As Ziggy had pointed out this whole thing played out a lot like the 97' game against the Packers. I felt so much more confidence this year than i had 2 years ago.

Tned
02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
I didnt watch or listen to any news outlets going up the game. I knew what was being said in the media because of the articles i saw on FB but was glad the Denver players were not doing much talking. I just went about my business believing they would prove the pundits wrong and they did. If Denver could get by Pitt and NE i knew they had a real shot beating Carolina who i felt was not quite as good as their record indicated. As Ziggy had pointed out this whole thing played out a lot like the 97' game against the Packers. I felt so much more confidence this year than i had 2 years ago.

Denver, whether due to advice from Manning/Ware or the coaches or what I have no idea, played it very smart. They didn't engage in the back and forth, even when some of the Panthers (especially Norman) started talking trash. Clearly the heard and didn't like all the talk about how the defense couldn't stop Cam and it helped motivate them. That was clear by some pretty stinging comments, some bordering on unsportsmanlike or coming across as "kicking em when their down", but it was clear that they were frustrated with the media coverage leading up to the SB.

The Glue Factory
02-11-2016, 10:24 AM

First, the pregame (two weeks leading up) coverage were awful. Accept for the rare discussion about how good the Broncos defense was, which usually include talk of the Panther' defense being right up there, and some argued even better, there was little talk about much good about the Broncos. Typically, whenever anyone talked about the Broncos having a chance to win, it was just in the context of how it would be a good story if Manning went out a champ and not to bet again Manning, maybe he had one last miracle.

Second, as to dismantling Brady and that offense. It seems that many commentators seemed to very quickly get in lock step with the party line that the Patriots line was in such disarray that it was the cause of everything we saw, and therefore the defensive performance was discounted.

Bottom line, as often happens with our modern "become part of the story" and "jump on populous memes" media, they all quickly jumped on the excitement that was the Cam train and quickly concluded that there was no defense that could stop him. They concluded that we were seeing the emergence of this QB superstar that literally, was unstoppable. The more that was said, the more that became the only narrative for the game, and each report expanded on that theme.

I finally got to the point that other than some Denver radio, I wasn't watching much pre game coverage by the end. Saturday night I watched Scorched Trials, Sunday early afternoon I watched another movie (drawing a blank). I got to the point where I needed to have time pass, but without watching anymore "expert" analysis about how the Broncos had no chance in the game, other than if the football gods decided to interfere with divine intervention to allow Manning to ride into the sunset a SB champion in his last rodeo.

Well, I am so very happy that I didn't bother watching ANY SB related media during the entire 2 weeks. Not that I had much time to do so anyway.

TXBRONC
02-11-2016, 10:33 AM
We wouldnt of been able to carve them up, not with Manning at least. The last time we tried to open it up like that the Chiefs intercepted Manning 4 times. The way we went into the SB was the correct way, you keep going with whats working and what allows you the best chance to win. Its not pretty but its effective and it showed this past Sunday. A lot of the grumblings this year in terms of offense for us is the exact same thing i saw with Ravens fans in 2000. But neither fanbase is talking now that they have a SB victory because of it.

If Denver was going to win in a blowout it's would have taken at least one more defensive score. At the end of day it doesn't matter how it looks as long as your team is ahead when clock reads 0:00.

TXBRONC
02-11-2016, 10:46 AM

I couldn't watch or listen to pundits the entire two weeks. I was sure it was going to be about how great Cam and the Panthers are and how they were going roll over Broncos. The flat out ignored how the Panther had a pedestrian passing game. Even if their top receiver had not been injured they still were pedestrian. I knew it was going to be a complete waste of time follow any of the coverage outside of Denver.

Joel
02-11-2016, 10:47 AM
We wouldnt of been able to carve them up, not with Manning at least. The last time we tried to open it up like that the Chiefs intercepted Manning 4 times.
That's not really a fair comparison: Mannings ribs, shoulder and foot were in tatters for that game, had been for at least a week. If he'd still been in THAT bad a state for the SB, Oz would've taken over the same as he did then, for the same reason. But the very outcome of the game proves we didn't need a high risk/reward offense to win, so using one ANYWAY would've just given a league-leading turnover machine a chance in a game where it otherwise had NONE.

Never give a sucker an even break.

TXBRONC
02-11-2016, 11:05 AM
That's not really a fair comparison: Mannings ribs, shoulder and foot were in tatters for that game, had been for at least a week. If he'd still been in THAT bad a state for the SB, Oz would've taken over the same as he did then, for the same reason. But the very outcome of the game proves we didn't need a high risk/reward offense to win, so using one ANYWAY would've just given a league-leading turnover machine a chance in a game where it otherwise had NONE.

You missed the point. The point was that offense wasn't capable of massive production in yardage and points because even with a healthy Manning the formula for winning games was same week in and week out.

Joel
02-11-2016, 11:25 AM
You missed the point. The point was that offense wasn't capable of massive production in yardage and points because even with a healthy Manning formula for winning games was same week in and week out.
That doesn't follow: Just because we didn't doesn't mean we COULDN'T. It's not a smart way to play with a truly better team; sure, it may work, but if it doesn't you're in a 20 pt turnover-filled hole with nowhere to go. Unless the other side manages to force the issue by 1) starting and 2) WINNING the air war themselves, play football and beat the snot out of them. I give Kubiak credit for not only being more confident than I that we were the best team, but being RIGHT.

NightTerror218
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Norman dropped atleast 1 possible ints and the other corner dropped 1.

TXBRONC
02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
That doesn't follow: Just because we didn't doesn't mean we COULDN'T. It's not a smart way to play with a truly better team; sure, it may work, but if it doesn't you're in a 20 pt turnover-filled hole with nowhere to go. Unless the other side manages to force the issue by 1) starting and 2) WINNING the air war themselves, play football and beat the snot out of them. I give Kubiak credit for not only being more confident than I that we were the best team, but being RIGHT.

Joel that is ridiculous. All freaking year the offense was unable to go off on anyone. It was Parcell's who said something to the effect that you can determine future performance by prior production. You're argumentative for the purely for the sake of argumentative. It's not that Kubiak lacked confidence it's that he knew what his offense was and was not capable of. You're not nearly as smart as you think you.

Joel
02-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Joel that is ridiculous. All freaking year the offense was unable to go off on anyone. It was Parcell's who said something to the effect that you can determine future performance by prior production. You're argumentative for the purely for the sake of argumentative. It's not that Kubiak lacked confidence it's that he knew what his offense was and was not capable of. You're not nearly as smart as you think you.
I didn't say Kubiak lacked confidence: I said I lacked confidence, HE didn't, and the game proved him right. You don't chunk balls all over the place just because a 30 pt lead's better than a 3 pt lead, because if it doesn't work you're DOWN 30 pts with NO fallback position. The only reason to roll those massive dice is if you're pretty sure playing it straight leaves you in a big hole anyway, so you have no choice but to take your chances with a shootout.

Clearly, YOU'RE not nearly as smart as I thought you (which is actually grammatically correct when said that way, because it doesn't require a reflexive pronoun.)

Northman
02-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Disagree.

While Manning was injured it wasnt like he lit the world on fire in the playoffs or even when he was deemed "healthy" all season. A good chunk of his throws were still off and this goes all the way back to the tail end of last year.

Northman
02-11-2016, 04:56 PM

We COULDNT do it all year, thats not just speculation that is clear fact. The injury excuse only goes so far this year.

SR
02-11-2016, 05:36 PM
(which is actually grammatically correct when said that way, because it doesn't require a reflexive pronoun.)

I don't understand why you feel the need to say shit like this. NO ONE CARES.

swaiy
02-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Because no one can give him a swirly or wedgie on the internet

Joel
02-12-2016, 02:03 AM
Because he used pidgin English to claim he's smarter than I. Sorry, that's ALWAYS funny.

Joel
02-12-2016, 02:11 AM
Disagree.

While Manning was injured it wasnt like he lit the world on fire in the playoffs or even when he was deemed "healthy" all season. A good chunk of his throws were still off and this goes all the way back to the tail end of last year.
The worst playoff throws his critics found were a couple near-TDs within inches of his WRs hands and a deep post about a foot off on the FIRST play after he went from throwing into the wind to throwing with it. He came out firing in the SB and was dead on, even though the FIRST play (an 18 yd completion) ended with him rolling on his back. But it would've been STUPID to play a whole SB with him trying to throw 20 yd strikes while bouncing off the turf.

Winning by 14 on the ground proved that. And since we could and DID win a dozen games and homefield doing that all year: Why take needless risks?

BroncoJoe
02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm actually very pleased to have watched and listened to a lot of the Panther hype. Made the victory all that much more sweet.

Northman
02-12-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm actually very pleased to have watched and listened to a lot of the Panther hype. Made the victory all that much more sweet.

Its equally enjoyable to watch Joel be wrong yet again as well. He was crotch guzzling the Panthers all the way up to the damn game. lol

Joel
02-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Its equally enjoyable to watch Joel be wrong yet again as well. He was crotch guzzling the Panthers all the way up to the damn game. lol
Yeah, no, but whatever makes you feel better while gazing longingly at your Tom Brady pinup. ;)

MasterShake
02-12-2016, 08:59 AM
The local radio station (104.3 The Fan) was on radio row all week during the Super Bowl and they kept saying when people would talk to them they were asking the wrong questions. Everyone wanted to know how Manning was doing and they were trying to explain that he wasn't the story and that the Defense was. They were also surrounded by Carolina and National Stations and all they heard about were parade plans or just how bad they Panthers were going to win by. To be fair though, I had the same thoughts about Denver 2 years ago vs Seattle.

As confident as I was going into the Super Bowl that last game taught me to keep my mouth shut until the final whistle. At that point no matter what you can just point up and say, "Score Board!". The funny thing was as I was watching the game I already KNEW what the Panthers fans would focus on if they lost, like the incomplete catch challenge and other things. Some of them were just shocked how the Denver D undressed their offense, so I understand. Like I said Seattle is still pretty fresh in my mind! :lol:

TXBRONC
02-12-2016, 09:54 AM
The local radio station (104.3 The Fan) was on radio row all week during the Super Bowl and they kept saying when people would talk to them they were asking the wrong questions. Everyone wanted to know how Manning was doing and they were trying to explain that he wasn't the story and that the Defense was. They were also surrounded by Carolina and National Stations and all they heard about were parade plans or just how bad they Panthers were going to win by. To be fair though, I had the same thoughts about Denver 2 years ago vs Seattle.

As confident as I was going into the Super Bowl that last game taught me to keep my mouth shut until the final whistle. At that point no matter what you can just point up and say, "Score Board!". The funny thing was as I was watching the game I already KNEW what the Panthers fans would focus on if they lost, like the incomplete catch challenge and other things. Some of them were just shocked how the Denver D undressed their offense, so I understand. Like I said Seattle is still pretty fresh in my mind! :lol:

In the hype the media completely ignored the fact that the Panthers passing attack was pedestrian. All season long their defense helped them hide that flaw by getting turnovers and putting the offense in where a team can make pedestrian receiving look better than it was. Their best wide out was injured all season but even he had been in there they still would have been lack luster.

TXBRONC
02-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I didn't say Kubiak lacked confidence: I said I lacked confidence, HE didn't, and the game proved him right. You don't chunk balls all over the place just because a 30 pt lead's better than a 3 pt lead, because if it doesn't work you're DOWN 30 pts with NO fallback position. The only reason to roll those massive dice is if you're pretty sure playing it straight leaves you in a big hole anyway, so you have no choice but to take your chances with a shootout.

Clearly, YOU'RE not nearly as smart as I thought you (which is actually grammatically correct when said that way, because it doesn't require a reflexive pronoun.)

Joel you prove every time you post how little you know. As people have pointed out many time we know you don't watch the games and then you speak from a position of ignorance. :coffee:

Joel
02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Joel you prove every time you post how little you know.As people have pointed out many time we know you don't watch the games and then you speak from a position of ignorance. :coffee:
I "speak from ignorance" because YOU "know" what I do in my home (even though you clearly don't.) But props for stringing together a complete sentence this time.

Again: People who live in ignorant houses shouldn't throw stones.

OldschoolFreak
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Does anyone have any links to particularly bad prediction podcasts or video clips?

I'd love to listen to a few of those "Panthers are going to crush it" predictions this morning...

Joel
02-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have any links to particularly bad prediction podcasts or video clips?

I'd love to listen to a few of those "Panthers are going to crush it" predictions this morning...
Well, one of their fan MBs was linked before the game (though I forget where) and it was pretty bad; the one that stuck in my mind was the 58-0. Again, I don't know where that thread was linked here, but I think chazoe found it, and he posted another link to that MB in the gameday thread AFTER the game: Entertaining. They probably have lots of links to over the top videos and podcasts predicting our annihilation, if they haven't deleted all that stuff and hung themselves yet.

TXBRONC
02-15-2016, 02:43 PM
I "speak from ignorance" because YOU "know" what I do in my home (even though you clearly don't.) But props for stringing together a complete sentence this time.

Again: People who live in ignorant houses shouldn't throw stones.

That's why you should not throw stones. You speak out of ignorance 3/4 of the time. :wave:

Joel
02-15-2016, 04:50 PM
That's why you should not throw stones. You speak out of ignorance 3/4 of the time. :wave:
Says the guy who speaks (in broken English) from his nonexistent and false "knowledge" of what happens in my living room.

MOtorboat
02-15-2016, 05:15 PM

And then denies it because he put enough doublespeak in his posts to get to be able to deny any stance if either team won.

Laughable.

sneakers
02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
This is why I slept through ALL of the pregame, and woke up at 4:00 PM last sunday

TXBRONC
02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Says the guy who speaks (in broken English) from his nonexistent and false "knowledge" of what happens in my living room.

And you drone on in circles.

BroncoJoe
02-15-2016, 06:31 PM
And then denies it because he put enough doublespeak in his posts to get to be able to deny any stance if either team won.

Laughable.

It's actually truly amazing to read his posts (which I rarely do) and see how he crafts his "facts" and statements. He should probably cover baseball, because he has a unique ability to cover all the bases, so he can be "right".

BroncoWave
02-15-2016, 06:33 PM
For the love of Christ Mo and Joel, can you two please just f*** and get it over with?

SR
02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
For the love of Christ Mo and Joel, can you two please just f*** and get it over with?

If that isn't worth paying for to watch, I don't know what is.