PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2016 Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Your World Champion Kansas City Royals report in eight days.

BroncoJoe
02-10-2016, 01:50 PM
No one cares.

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 01:51 PM
No one cares.

gfy

I know we have a bunch of baseball fans here.

Buff
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Thank god for fantasy baseball to keep me interested and excited throughout the season. Kind of depressing that the Rockies have basically zero chance to compete.

weazel
02-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Josh Donaldson is a happy man

https://twitter.com/BringerOfRain20/status/696891853317152769

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Thank god for fantasy baseball to keep me interested and excited throughout the season. Kind of depressing that the Rockies have basically zero chance to compete.

Follow Andy McCullough. He's the new beat writer for the Dodgers. You'll enjoy his takes for their sarcasm and bluntness.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 05:54 AM

Don't say that. They'll compete with the Reds again, for the top pick.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2016, 05:55 AM
Follow Andy McCullough. He's the new beat writer for the Dodgers. You'll enjoy his takes for their sarcasm and bluntness.

If there's one thing Buff likes it's sarcasm and blunts.

chazoe60
02-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Go Rockies! I know :sad:

Please God don't let the Royals win again, people with mullets really do not deserve that much happiness.

BroncoJoe
02-11-2016, 08:03 AM
gfy

I know we have a bunch of baseball fans here.

I was referring to the Royals, you little **** stain.

BroncoWave
02-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Wake me up in October.

MOtorboat
02-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Go Rockies! I know :sad:

Please God don't let the Royals win again, people with mullets really do not deserve that much happiness.

I hope they continue to win just to watch you throw your little shit fits.

chazoe60
02-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I hope they continue to win just to watch you throw your little shit fits.

**** off short stuff. How do you live with yourself knowing you align yourself with all those Chiefs fans?

MOtorboat
02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
**** off short stuff. How do you live with yourself knowing you align yourself with all those Chiefs fans?

Just fine.

This is all superfluous noise anyway. San Francisco is going to win the World Series this year. I'm sure that will make you happy.

chazoe60
02-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Just fine.

This is all superfluous noise anyway. San Francisco is going to win the World Series this year. I'm sure that will make you happy.

Puke. It is an even year though so you're probably right.

MOtorboat
02-13-2016, 01:15 AM
Bryce Harper is a free agent in three seasons at the age of 26.

Will his contract be north of $400 million?

chazoe60
02-13-2016, 01:25 AM
Bryce Harper is a free agent in three seasons at the age of 26.

Will his contract be north of $400 million?

With how things are trending it would seem like an inevitability. When is Trout's deal up?

MOtorboat
02-13-2016, 01:31 AM
With how things are trending it would seem like an inevitability. When is Trout's deal up?

He'll be a free agent heading into the 2021 season. He signed a six-year extension after his arbitration hearing and before the 2014 season. The extension was 2015-2020 for $144.5 million. $5 million last year, $18 million this year, $19 million in 2017 and $33 million in 2018-2020.

He'll still only be 29.

chazoe60
02-18-2016, 08:36 AM
DJ Lemahieu signed a new contract with the Rockies yesterday 2 yrs/7.5M and it reminded me that I don't understand the business side of baseball at all. Arenado is on a 1yr/5M contract and he is by any reasonable measure a top 5 third baseman, I'd argue he's no worse than second and probably the best but whatever. I guess what I don't understand is how guys like Trout and Harper are worth these gigantic 8 figure contracts and a 3 time gold glove 42 HR hitting 3rd baseman is worth $5M a year?

I'm not saying Nolan or DJ are on that level (Trout and Harper) but how is the disparity that big? Does it have something to do with contract status and the teams having the leverage?

MOtorboat
02-18-2016, 09:19 AM
DJ Lemahieu signed a new contract with the Rockies yesterday 2 yrs/7.5M and it reminded me that I don't understand the business side of baseball at all. Arenado is on a 1yr/5M contract and he is by any reasonable measure a top 5 third baseman, I'd argue he's no worse than second and probably the best but whatever. I guess what I don't understand is how guys like Trout and Harper are worth these gigantic 8 figure contracts and a 3 time gold glove 42 HR hitting 3rd baseman is worth $5M a year?

I'm not saying Nolan or DJ are on that level (Trout and Harper) but how is the disparity that big? Does it have something to do with contract status and the teams having the leverage?

Has Arenado reached arbitration yet?

chazoe60
02-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Has Arenado reached arbitration yet?

I don't think so. Is that the key? Getting through those arbitration years then the big paydays happen?

MOtorboat
02-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Looks like that's his first arbitration settlement.

Teams own rookies, guys they draft or guys they sign internationally, for six years from the day they are called up. The first three are on their initial contract, the last three are through arbitration hearings.

I'm guessing LeMahieu signed a contract to void his last two years of arbitration before heading to free agency.

If Arenado has another big year, he will probably sign a bigger, two-year contract to avoid arbitration and then hit free agency, or he'll sign a long-term deal with Colorado, south of the two you mentioned, but still big.

chazoe60
02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Looks like that's his first arbitration settlement.

Teams own rookies, guys they draft or guys they sign internationally, for six years from the day they are called up. The first three are on their initial contract, the last three are through arbitration hearings.

I'm guessing LeMahieu signed a contract to void his last two years of arbitration before heading to free agency.

If Arenado has another big year, he will probably sign a bigger, two-year contract to avoid arbitration and then hit free agency, or he'll sign a long-term deal with Colorado, south of the two you mentioned, but still big.

Okay, that actually clears up a lot of stuff for me. Baseball has to be the most complicated when it comes to contracts and stuff.

weazel
02-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Okay, that actually clears up a lot of stuff for me. Baseball has to be the most complicated when it comes to contracts and stuff.

and then you have all the roster rules with options as well. The managers and accountants have to work shit out pretty diligently, for sure.

MOtorboat
02-19-2016, 12:05 AM
and then you have all the roster rules with options as well. The managers and accountants have to work shit out pretty diligently, for sure.

Plus the whole Super 2 stipulation, which allows players to get arbitration in two years and is complicated as hell.

MOtorboat
02-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Ryan Braun is in The Most Athletic Shape of His Life!

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/02/29/ryan-braun-is-in-the-most-athletic-shape-of-his-life/

chazoe60
02-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Ryan Braun is in The Most Athletic Shape of His Life!

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/02/29/ryan-braun-is-in-the-most-athletic-shape-of-his-life/

He must have found some good shit to shoot up in the off season.

MOtorboat
03-01-2016, 01:32 PM
I am watching Philadelphia and Toronto.

Buff
03-01-2016, 01:48 PM
I am watching Philadelphia and Toronto.

Any shots of Tulo crying yet?

chazoe60
03-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Tulo is being a real bitch isn't he? Why can't he shut the **** up? He got traded to a team that made the postseason, isn't that good enough?

Buff
03-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Tulo is being a real bitch isn't he? Why can't he shut the **** up? He got traded to a team that made the postseason, isn't that good enough?

I am actually taking some pleasure in it as he reveals his entitled prima donna attitude to the rest of the country.

Seriously though - he has a $160 million contract that didn't have a no-trade clause. Even if Briedich straight up lied to him, why does he think people should feel bad for him?

MOtorboat
03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Any shots of Tulo crying yet?

No. Sorry.

I've been kind of flipping back and forth between this and Rusillo and Kanell. Haven't noticed if he's even playing. He's not in now because Darwin Barney is playing short.

Edit: Announcer just said Tulo won't play until Friday.

Buff
03-01-2016, 02:01 PM
No. Sorry.

I've been kind of flipping back and forth between this and Rusillo and Kanell. Haven't noticed if he's even playing. He's not in now because Darwin Barney is playing short.

Edit: Announcer just said Tulo won't play until Friday.

Is Devon Travis healthy? I am still lamenting not accepting the Blackmon for Travis trade that someone proposed me last year - but I really thought his upside was too good to let go... Then his shoulder kept him out of the last few months.

MOtorboat
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Is Devon Travis healthy? I am still lamenting not accepting the Blackmon for Travis trade that someone proposed me last year - but I really thought his upside was too good to let go... Then his shoulder kept him out of the last few months.

Hasn't played today. Don't know his health status.

MOtorboat
03-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Phillies announcers making up words trying to put a positive spin on tanking.

"Restrengthening the organization."

weazel
03-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Devon Travis is still not playing, there is no timetable for his return.

edit* he won't see game action for at least a month.

chazoe60
03-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Have you guys seen this story? It's a year old but still pretty cool, this chick kicks ass. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/132044338/melissa-mayeux-france-eligible-sign-mlb

My prediction is that we'll see a legitimate female pro baseball player within the next decade. By legitimate I mean not a publicity stunt or anything like that but an actual prospect playing pro baseball with real MLB possibilities. Probably be longer than that until a woman actually makes an MLB roster but I think that in the minors we will see one or maybe even more.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Six days.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Have you guys seen this story? It's a year old but still pretty cool, this chick kicks ass. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/132044338/melissa-mayeux-france-eligible-sign-mlb

My prediction is that we'll see a legitimate female pro baseball player within the next decade. By legitimate I mean not a publicity stunt or anything like that but an actual prospect playing pro baseball with real MLB possibilities. Probably be longer than that until a woman actually makes an MLB roster but I think that in the minors we will see one or maybe even more.

I think this girl could be the player who makes it. I don't see why some of the slap hitters from softball couldn't be slap hitters and singles hitters in the majors as long as they can field their position.

slim
03-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Tulo was the first female BB player.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Tulo was the first female BB player.

Oh my.

MOtorboat
03-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Don't see this very often: Orioles letting go of Gonzalez, who struggled this spring, but has been pretty good the last three years.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-give-miguel-gonzalez-his-unconditional-release-20160330-story.html

WTF Coach?

MOtorboat
04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Here we go.

CoachChaz
04-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Don't see this very often: Orioles letting go of Gonzalez, who struggled this spring, but has been pretty good the last three years.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-give-miguel-gonzalez-his-unconditional-release-20160330-story.html

WTF Coach?

He's been going in a downward trend the last few years. His velocity is down to about 88 and his splitter doesnt have the bite any more. He got lit up in Spring training and they made a decision to go with some younger guys. Notice that no other team has been chomping to pick him up.

MOtorboat
04-03-2016, 12:58 PM
He's been going in a downward trend the last few years. His velocity is down to about 88 and his splitter doesnt have the bite any more. He got lit up in Spring training and they made a decision to go with some younger guys. Notice that no other team has been chomping to pick him up.

Yeah, I forgot it was last year he was injured and two years ago was when he was decent.

OrangeHoof
04-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Finally, the regular season is here.

weazel
04-04-2016, 01:26 PM
so there are a few regular season games and a spring training game on the same day? WTF, get your shit in order mlb

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:27 PM
so there are a few regular season games and a spring training game on the same day? WTF, get your shit in order mlb

?

All regular season games today.

Buff
04-04-2016, 01:28 PM
None of the tournaments were close to filling on DraftKings - there was a ton of overlay value out there, but I didn't have any time to sit down and create rosters this morning. Entered a few on the fly on my phone.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:30 PM
None of the tournaments were close to filling on DraftKings - there was a ton of overlay value out there, but I didn't have any time to sit down and create rosters this morning. Entered a few on the fly on my phone.

I entered the Moonshot $3. Going with Kluber and Price because it's going to be 30 degrees and snowing in Cleveland. Shouldn't be a delay. Was going value with Santana against Baltimore because he has good numbers at Camden, but chance for rain delay that could shorten his day.

Buff
04-04-2016, 01:32 PM
I entered the Moonshot $3. Going with Kluber and Price because it's going to be 30 degrees and snowing in Cleveland. Shouldn't be a delay. Was going value with Santana against Baltimore because he has good numbers at Camden, but chance for rain delay that could shorten his day.

BOS v CLE just got PPD. Better go swap everybody.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Dammit...

weazel
04-04-2016, 01:39 PM
?

All regular season games today.

yesterday

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
yesterday

Looks like the Cubs and Angels stayed behind and played an extra game because they only had a 30 minute flight to Anaheim this morning. I don't really see the issue.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Now I don't feel comfortable with my lineup. Damn rain outs.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Jon Miller is announcing three innings of the Giants opener with Milwaukee and all is right with the world.

OrangeHoof
04-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Reminds me when the 1994 strike was over and they played some early spring training games. I was watching the Cubs on WGN against the A's when a drunken Harry Caray yelled into the mic "Felix Jose... is a Santo Domingo Republican." I said, "Yep! Baseball is BACK!"

weazel
04-05-2016, 09:23 PM
LMAO Jays just lost a game because Bautista touched the second baseman's foot when he slid into second.

#sissygame

Dapper Dan
04-06-2016, 03:22 AM
LMAO Jays just lost a game because Bautista touched the second baseman's foot when he slid into second.

#sissygame

Of the 5 major sports, which one's allow tripping?

I heard the manager speak first. He made it sound like Bautista was just going for the bag. Then I saw the replay. He obviously tried to trip the guy up. Pretty stupid thing to do, especially since it's against the rules now. Maybe it used to be gamesmanship or something, but when the guy steps to the side and gets out of the way to make the thrown and then he gets tripped up and lands awkwardly, that could really **** a player up. Plus, it's unnecessary. It's simply a baserunner trying to **** with a guy who's trying to throw the ball. The runner is out, so stay out of the way. That's going to go away and I don't mind it at all. It's not like this was meant to be a contact sport.

MOtorboat
04-06-2016, 12:18 PM
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/major-league-baseballs-worst-fans-worst-fans-in-mlb?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&utm_content=Baseball%27s%20Most%20Intolerable%20Fa ns%2C%20Ranked&ref=twitter-869

weazel
04-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Of the 5 major sports, which one's allow tripping?

I heard the manager speak first. He made it sound like Bautista was just going for the bag. Then I saw the replay. He obviously tried to trip the guy up. Pretty stupid thing to do, especially since it's against the rules now. Maybe it used to be gamesmanship or something, but when the guy steps to the side and gets out of the way to make the thrown and then he gets tripped up and lands awkwardly, that could really **** a player up. Plus, it's unnecessary. It's simply a baserunner trying to **** with a guy who's trying to throw the ball. The runner is out, so stay out of the way. That's going to go away and I don't mind it at all. It's not like this was meant to be a contact sport.

After watching the reply in slow motion I agree with you Dan. When I first seen it I thought he just tried to break it up with a slide but he went out of his way off the base path and grabbed his foot with his hand. It was the right call.

MOtorboat
04-06-2016, 04:46 PM
After watching the reply in slow motion I agree with you Mo. When I first seen it I thought he just tried to break it up with a slide but he went out of his way off the base path and grabbed his foot with his hand. It was the right call.

That's Dapper...I thought it was kind of weak, and bang bang, but Bautista did make a motion with his hand that didn't look like part of a natural slide.

weazel
04-06-2016, 05:11 PM
That's Dapper...I thought it was kind of weak, and bang bang, but Bautista did make a motion with his hand that didn't look like part of a natural slide.

oh it's weak... but it's the rule. Plenty of weak rules in all sports, but it is what we have now.

I changed the name in the original...

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Lol, Dodger talk is going to be so fascinating tonight...take out a rookie in the eighth inning with a no hitter because he hit a pitch limit. Next batter homers.

Lose in the tenth. Dave Roberts thrown out in the ninth.

weazel
04-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I guss the Rockies aren't missing Tulo! Lol

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Lol, Dodger talk is going to be so fascinating tonight...take out a rookie in the eighth inning with a no hitter because he hit a pitch limit. Next batter homers.

Lose in the tenth. Dave Roberts thrown out in the ninth.

Danny Kanell went on one of his meathead "society is soft" twitter rants over the Dodgers pulling him. Because one game in the first week of the season is more important than keeping a young potential star pitcher as a healthy asset for you.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Danny Kanell went on one of his meathead "society is soft" twitter rants over the Dodgers pulling him. Because one game in the first week of the season is more important than keeping a young potential star pitcher as a healthy asset for you.

Pulling him with one out in the eighth was pretty damn weak.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Pulling him with one out in the eighth was pretty damn weak.

I mean, pitch counts on guys with injury risk are there for a reason. They don't just pull them out of their ass. If he stays in the game and winds up injuring his arm with people knowing he was on a pitch count, that manager is getting shredded today.

This pitcher had never thrown 100 pitches in a game in his career, is only two years removed from Tommy John surgery, and from what I have read about the game he was starting to walk guys/lose his command and it had started to rain.

It sucks for the guy that he didn't get a chance to try to finish the no-no, but it was a rational decision. And from what I have read, even the pitcher himself agreed with the decision. If he's not even upset about it, I don't really see any reason to be.

Also, it's the responsibility of the manager to do what is best for the Dodgers, not what would be a good story for one player.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 09:05 PM
I mean, pitch counts on guys with injury risk are there for a reason. They don't just pull them out of their ass. If he stays in the game and winds up injuring his arm with people knowing he was on a pitch count, that manager is getting shredded today.

This pitcher had never thrown 100 pitches in a game in his career, is only two years removed from Tommy John surgery, and from what I have read about the game he was starting to walk guys/lose his command and it had started to rain.

It sucks for the guy that he didn't get a chance to try to finish the no-no, but it was a rational decision. And from what I have read, even the pitcher himself agreed with the decision. If he's not even upset about it, I don't really see any reason to be.

Also, it's the responsibility of the manager to do what is best for the Dodgers, not what would be a good story for one player.

I don't disagree that they should do everything they can to prevent injuries, but if he's stretched out to 100 pitches in Spring Training so he can throw 100, then I wouldn't take him out of a no hitter. Just wouldn't do it. It sucks for him, it lost the game, it was the second bad pitching decision Roberts made in the second straight game.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 09:22 PM
I don't disagree that they should do everything they can to prevent injuries, but if he's stretched out to 100 pitches in Spring Training so he can throw 100, then I wouldn't take him out of a no hitter. Just wouldn't do it. It sucks for him, it lost the game, it was the second bad pitching decision Roberts made in the second straight game.

It's easy to look at the result using hindsight and say it was a bad decision. But it's really impossible to know as the same thing just as easily could have happened had he stayed in the game.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 09:25 PM
It's easy to look at the result using hindsight and say it was a bad decision. But it's really impossible to know as the same thing just as easily could have happened had he stayed in the game.

I'd rather go down swinging with the guy who's keeping up a no hitter than the guy sitting on a cold bench for three hours. I mean, the idea of bringing in the bullpen guy is to bring in someone who's better. But the best pitcher in that ballpark last night (maybe not the next night, or the next start, or even ever again) was the one who got yanked. It's not an easy decision, by any means, but I stick with the hot hand. If he's at 100 pitches two innings earlier, my opinion changes. I just think the kid deserved a shot to ge the next five outs.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 09:28 PM
I'd rather go down swinging with the guy who's keeping up a no hitter than the guy sitting on a cold bench for three hours. I mean, the idea of bringing in the bullpen guy is to bring in someone who's better. But the best pitcher in that ballpark last night (maybe not the next night, or the next start, or even ever again) was the one who got yanked. It's not an easy decision, by any means, but I stick with the hot hand. If he's at 100 pitches two innings earlier, my opinion changes. I just think the kid deserved a shot to ge the next five outs.

FWIW, this was a quote from the pitcher's dad:

"One of the cool things I experienced: This morning Ross' dad was in the lobby and he sought me out and came up to me and, really emotional, just thanked me for him and his wife for looking out for their son," Roberts told reporters Saturday afternoon. "They know their kid's story, what he endured to get here, and they enjoyed the moment more than anyone, but they say thank you. I'll have their support forever. It was their stamp of approval."

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4701417-ross-stripling-no-hitter-parents-grateful-dave-roberts-los-angeles-dodgers

It seems like neither the pitcher nor anyone associated with him was all that upset about him being pulled.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 09:30 PM
More from that article:

"His velocity was down, the stuff not as crisp," Roberts said. "In talking to many pitchers, compare a Spring Training game and look at the intensity of a Major League game and compound that with the debut, there's a lot of emotional stress with those pitches. Taking everything into consideration, it's easy to say 100 pitches, but there's more layers to it.

"Look, I want to see him throw a no-hitter; it's a special moment. But we're looking at the long view and Ross can help us win many more games. If it went south and something were to happen, I couldn't live with myself. It's his livelihood."

Stripling's feelings weren't hurt, even though the Dodgers eventually lost the game.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm glad the kid isn't upset. That could affect a psyche.

I still disagree with the move.

Dapper Dan
04-09-2016, 10:49 PM
If it were late in the season and it mattered more, I might say keep him in. This is the first week of baseball. It's one game out of 21543135135516556561651316556546464132165.

Dapper Dan
04-10-2016, 02:19 AM
I'll be happy when Greinke gets out of this slump.

MOtorboat
04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Love getting a gamble right.

Matt Joyce was 6 of 17 off of Verlander coming into the game and was the lowest-priced starting outfielder on the day-game slate today. Took him, 2-2, double, RBI and a run, 12 points in the third inning.

Buff
04-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Love getting a gamble right.

Matt Joyce was 6 of 17 off of Verlander coming into the game and was the lowest-priced starting outfielder on the day-game slate today. Took him, 2-2, double, RBI and a run, 12 points in the third inning.

#TeamBVP

MOtorboat
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM

MOtorboat
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Wacha, Wacha.

MOtorboat
04-20-2016, 11:10 PM
Beef Wellington is almost (almost) as good of a nickname as Country Breakfast.

MOtorboat
04-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Alex Gordon would like his Gold Glove back.

TIA.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Who's this SS in Colorado? Trevor Story. I think. What's the deal with him, is he any good?

MOtorboat
04-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Who's this SS in Colorado? Trevor Story. I think. What's the deal with him, is he any good?

He either hits dongers or he strikes out.

weazel
04-21-2016, 08:12 PM
He either hits dongers or he strikes out.

I remember the Jays had a rookie like that one year, he won the ROY that season... Eric Hinske. He played mediocre ball for the rest of his career but may have won a world series as a bench player with the Sox

MOtorboat
04-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Arrieta had a no-no through 8.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Arrieta is perfect through 8.

Can watch it - http://m.mlb.com/video/v94505183/historic-live-lookin

Dapper Dan
04-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Arrieta had a no-no through 8.

Ugh

MOtorboat
04-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Ugh

He got it.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2016, 09:40 PM
He got it.

Even worse was the score :(

weazel
04-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Jays Colabello suspended 80 games for failed drug test. You would think a guy using PED's would bat better than .069

chazoe60
04-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Did you guys see that crazy little league triple play the white Sox made yesterday? It looked like it was all set up by horrible baserunning by Prince Fielder. I like Prince Fielder as a person but other than hitting a baseball there is nothing on a baseball diamond that he does even remotely well.

MOtorboat
04-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Did you guys see that crazy little league triple play the white Sox made yesterday? It looked like it was all set up by horrible baserunning by Prince Fielder. I like Prince Fielder as a person but other than hitting a baseball there is nothing on a baseball diamond that he does even remotely well.

Lol. I hadn't until you said something. I think Fielder was doing the right thing. Everyone was running on the play, so when he catches it, so just go back to the bag. The mistake was the guy at second thinking Fielder could make it home. Obviously that's not going to happen, just stay at second.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Jays Colabello suspended 80 games for failed drug test. You would think a guy using PED's would bat better than .069

PEDs are really only going to help your average if they are turning flyouts into homers. They aren't going to help you make contact with the ball more often.

Dapper Dan
04-23-2016, 08:04 PM
PEDs are really only going to help your average if they are turning flyouts into homers. They aren't going to help you make contact with the ball more often.

I think it was a joke.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 09:19 PM
I think it was a joke.

I think you're a joke. :)

Dapper Dan
04-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I think you're a joke. :)

MOtorboat
04-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Gregg Zaun is a douche.

weazel
04-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Gregg Zaun is a douche.

that's the general consensus

MOtorboat
04-25-2016, 12:35 PM
that's the general consensus

Yeah, I just hadn't seen him for a while. He was on High Heat trying to make excuses for Colabello and calling the Mitchell Report a joke.

weazel
04-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I just hadn't seen him for a while. He was on High Heat trying to make excuses for Colabello and calling the Mitchell Report a joke.

well of course he was blasting the Mitchell report, he was on it. To be fair, he was later removed as many were.

MOtorboat
05-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Bryce Harper is about to set a Major League record for plate appearances in a game without an official at bat. Six walks and a hit by pitch.

weazel
05-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Bryce Harper is about to set a Major League record for plate appearances in a game without an official at bat. Six walks and a hit by pitch.

What an underwhelming record lol

I can see it now, people decades from now explaining how they remember the exact moment, where they were and what they were doing when Harper went to the playe 8 times and didnt record an AB! I hope they stop the game and give him an award of some kind

MOtorboat
05-09-2016, 03:41 PM
13 straight plate appearances without an at bat. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the Barry Bonds treatment.

MOtorboat
05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Who woulda thunk it. Putting a right-handed, fly ball pitcher on the mound at Yankee Stadium is a bad idea...

chazoe60
05-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Getting tired of people's overreaction to Harper's walk-a-thon. People on the radio were talking about all these changes they want to make, like banning intentional walks. Ugh! Leave baseball alone it is great just as it is.

I am a relatively new baseball fan but I am an old school kind of fan. My favorite games are pitcher's duels. My favorite thing in baseball is the defense, I love a good double play. My favorite era to read about is the dead ball era. I hate the DH. I really hope they don't start making changes to please the casual fans.

A lot of people say that baseball hurts itself by staying rigid and not changing the way the NBA and the NFL do but I think that's what makes baseball awesome. It is easily my favorite sport and I love it the way it is.

MOtorboat
05-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Getting tired of people's overreaction to Harper's walk-a-thon. People on the radio were talking about all these changes they want to make, like banning intentional walks. Ugh! Leave baseball alone it is great just as it is.

I am a relatively new baseball fan but I am an old school kind of fan. My favorite games are pitcher's duels. My favorite thing in baseball is the defense, I love a good double play. My favorite era to read about is the dead ball era. I hate the DH. I really hope they don't start making changes to please the casual fans.

A lot of people say that baseball hurts itself by staying rigid and not changing the way the NBA and the NFL do but I think that's what makes baseball awesome. It is easily my favorite sport and I love it the way it is.

Those things were said when it was happening to Bonds too. They won't take that away. The analytics people have the opposite opinion about those walks, btw.

BroncoWave
05-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Banning intentional walks wouldn't even be possible. Even if you ban lobbing the ball to the catcher way out to the side, the pitcher could still just throw 4 balls in the dirt.

MOtorboat
05-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Banning intentional walks wouldn't even be possible. Even if you ban lobbing the ball to the catcher way out to the side, the pitcher could still just throw 4 balls in the dirt.

Yeah. It's like Girardi saying they should ban the "shift." No doubles defense is a "shift," double play depth is a "shift," a drawn in infield is a "shift," etc., etc.

BroncoWave
05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
So I don't follow the Nats at all, but how badly does the hitter behind Harper suck that they can just put Harper on base every single time? Or is Harper just that good they would rather just take their chances with even a decent hitter behind him?

MOtorboat
05-09-2016, 09:39 PM
So I don't follow the Nats at all, but how badly does the hitter behind Harper suck that they can just put Harper on base every single time? Or is Harper just that good they would rather just take their chances with even a decent hitter behind him?

Most of their lineup is struggling, Zimmerman specifically, who was batting behind him this weekend. They just got a walk off against the Tigers, though.

MOtorboat
05-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Anyone catch the end of that Nationals-Tigers game?

I love baseball.

Dapper Dan
05-11-2016, 03:29 AM
I remember at one point last season Votto was criticized for taking so many walks because it was hurting his RBIs which hurt the team. :lol:

MOtorboat
05-11-2016, 11:13 AM
I remember at one point last season Votto was criticized for taking so many walks because it was hurting his RBIs which hurt the team. :lol:

People have criticized him for that for years. It's a lame criticism.

MOtorboat
05-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Where does Kershaw belong on the all-time lists?

Dapper Dan
05-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Alphabetically?

chazoe60
05-13-2016, 12:40 PM

He really needs one good postseason run. Imagine how high he'd be on the list if he had Bumgarner's postseason resume.

MOtorboat
05-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Alphabetically?

You sure your Kentucky education gives you the ability to accomplish said feat?

MOtorboat
05-13-2016, 12:49 PM
He really needs one good postseason run. Imagine how high he'd be on the list if he had Bumgarner's postseason resume.

I think where he currently is, not knowing what will happen in his 30s, he's akin to Koufax. I know that's an easy comp because they are both Dodgers and both lefties, but I think if Kershaw retired today he'd have that type of Koufax legend when people talk about him 30 years from now.

Dapper Dan
05-13-2016, 12:51 PM
You sure your Kentucky education gives you the ability to accomplish said feat?

No, that ain't got nothing to do with my feet. Them toes is for math.

MOtorboat
05-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Hawk Harrelson is an idiot.

chazoe60
05-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Hawk Harrelson is an idiot.

What did he do?

MOtorboat
05-13-2016, 06:45 PM
What did he do?

Paraphrased: "If there's one thing I've noticed its that walks typically score. Hit by pitches don't usually score."

chazoe60
05-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Paraphrased: "If there's one thing I've noticed its that walks typically score. Hit by pitches don't usually score."

:laugh:

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm guessing I have a different opinion of Sunday's fight than some other people who post in this thread do.

Dapper Dan
05-16-2016, 07:22 PM
I thought it was a good hit.

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 07:23 PM
I thought it was a good hit.

I don't think anyone is going to say it wasn't a good punch. I think he almost got the KO.

Slick
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
My neighbor just asked me if I saw the fight. Who was it?

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 07:33 PM
My neighbor just asked me if I saw the fight. Who was it?

Rougned Odor (Rangers) clocked Jose Bautista (Blue Jays).

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
https://youtu.be/b7owqw0qj0c

Slick
05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Whoa! That was a shot. Glasses and hat came off.

chazoe60
05-16-2016, 08:12 PM
I love a good baseball scuffle. Don't get me wrong, it's not something I want to see on a regular basis but tension between teams always makes the theater of any sport more interesting.

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Whoa! That was a shot. Glasses and hat came off.

ESPN had Barry Melrose break it down last night. It was hilarious. He had a smirk on his face the whole time.

MOtorboat
05-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Gibbons got tossed tonight too.

Timmy!
05-16-2016, 10:34 PM
https://youtu.be/b7owqw0qj0c

Solid right. He needs to set him up with the jab though to be a serious contender.

chazoe60
05-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Vin Scully just called an obvious curveball a change-up, time to retire. I kid I kid. I love listening to Vin call a game.

Dapper Dan
05-16-2016, 10:49 PM
Solid right. He needs to set him up with the jab though to be a serious contender.

And take off the baseball glove first.

weazel
05-17-2016, 10:59 AM
I have always been of the opinion that a pitcher throwing a ball at someone is the epitome of pathetic, biggest p##sy move in sports. Well Texas just changed my mind, waiting until the last time you will see a player in the season to throw a ball at him is the p##siest thing a person could do. I think that is the weakest thing I have ever witnessed on a sports field, and I have watched soccer.

Odor clocked him though! lol

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Taking my daughter to her first baseball game tomorrow for my birthday. Reds/Indians. I hope she has a good time. Fingers crossed that it doesn't rain.

MOtorboat
05-17-2016, 06:50 PM
One whole game? Lol.

MOtorboat
05-17-2016, 11:53 PM
Just watched Khris Davis hit a walk off grand slam live. That's awesome.

Dapper Dan
05-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Just watched Khris Davis hit a walk off grand slam live. That's awesome.

I saw that too. I had switched to MLB network because I couldn't find anything. Just chilling out, then boom.

Khris Davis been acting like Chris Davis.

BroncoWave
05-18-2016, 02:06 AM
Saw it live too. You could tell that ball was gone the second it hit his bat. Pretty cool.

CoachChaz
05-18-2016, 12:32 PM
I have always been of the opinion that a pitcher throwing a ball at someone is the epitome of pathetic, biggest p##sy move in sports. Well Texas just changed my mind, waiting until the last time you will see a player in the season to throw a ball at him is the p##siest thing a person could do. I think that is the weakest thing I have ever witnessed on a sports field, and I have watched soccer.

Odor clocked him though! lol

Hard to argue with most of this, but at the end of the day, most baseball fans that dont call the Blue Jays their favorite team were pretty damn excited to see Bautista get rocked. Next up is Donaldson.

Dapper Dan
05-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Hard to argue with most of this, but at the end of the day, most baseball fans that dont call the Blue Jays their favorite team were pretty damn excited to see Bautista get rocked. Next up is Donaldson.

I thought saw a screenshot that showed Odor getting a good shot on Donaldson.

weazel
05-18-2016, 12:40 PM

LMAO don't lump me in with a Bautista fan, I wish they would trade that guy away for some assets. Donaldson is a damn good player though.

MOtorboat
05-18-2016, 01:07 PM

According to Jayson Stark and Buster Olney on Olney's podcast yesterday, the players around the league thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Dapper Dan
05-21-2016, 11:16 PM
So I guess the strike zone is extended a few inches lower and also you don't have to throw the ball for an intentional walk. I wondered if they would ever do that with the intentional walk. It makes sense.

Dapper Dan
05-21-2016, 11:20 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/strike-zone-change-intentional-walks-batter-knee-competition-committee-rob-manfred-052116

Buff
05-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Agree with Donaldson here: http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/josh-donaldson-calls-out-baseballs-beanball-culture/

MOtorboat
05-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Agree with Donaldson here: http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/josh-donaldson-calls-out-baseballs-beanball-culture/

He's going to stop sliding into people, right? I mean, is it about safety, or is it about his safety?

weazel
05-23-2016, 08:46 PM
He's going to stop sliding into people, right? I mean, is it about safety, or is it about his safety?

Who did Donaldson slide into?

Youre saying a hard slide is the same as a ***** throwing a ball at someone? Lmao gotcha

MOtorboat
05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Who did Donaldson slide into?

Youre saying a hard slide is the same as a ***** throwing a ball at someone? Lmao gotcha

Blown knee or a bruise on the ass? Gonna pick the bruise on the ass myself.

weazel
05-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Blown knee or a bruise on the ass? Gonna pick the bruise on the ass myself.

Bean balls, 1 of the many reasons it is a dying sport. Maybe not, but it is a dying sport in Northth America. Good thing the Central Americans dominate

You didnt answer the question though, who did he slide into?
He got thrown at ... Twice, for staring at a player that has talked shit about him.

Defend bean balls all you want, just know that its the pu$$iest thing in sports

chazoe60
05-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Bean balls, 1 of the many reasons it is a dying sport. Maybe not, but it is a dying sport in Northth America. Good thing the Central Americans dominate.

http://www.besttickets.com/blog/mlb-players-census/

26% of MLB players are from non-US countries, that's far from domination. And bean balls have **** all to do with baseball's popularity or lack thereof , in fact my guess is that if there were more fights an more bean balls it would be even more popular.

MOtorboat
05-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Bean balls, 1 of the many reasons it is a dying sport. Maybe not, but it is a dying sport in Northth America. Good thing the Central Americans dominate

You didnt answer the question though, who did he slide into?
He got thrown at ... Twice, for staring at a player that has talked shit about him.

Defend bean balls all you want, just know that its the pu$$iest thing in sports

Donaldson got knocked out because he made a dangerous slide into a guy's knee. I think it was last year, and he was lucky the guy didn't bust up his leg like Flores and Alcides Escobar last year had done to them on hard slides by other players. You're right, I haven't seen him do it this year, but my point stands, those slides are as, or more dangerous, than any bean ball. If this is about safety, then they'd be suspending the guys for those slides. Shit, Utley injured a dude and they reduced his suspension and Bautista didn't get a suspension for the illegal slide he got it for getting up and instigating a fight.

MOtorboat
05-23-2016, 09:48 PM
I love that stadium in San Francisco and I'm not sure why. Never have been to a game there, either.

Dapper Dan
05-23-2016, 09:50 PM
I love that stadium in San Francisco and I'm not sure why. Never have been to a game there, either.

Probably the west coast media bias.

MOtorboat
05-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Probably the west coast media bias.

Good point. Damn them.

chazoe60
05-23-2016, 10:34 PM

It's the cool brick outfield walls. It's a cool stadium.

weazel
05-24-2016, 12:13 AM
Donaldson got knocked out because he made a dangerous slide into a guy's knee. I think it was last year, and he was lucky the guy didn't bust up his leg like Flores and Alcides Escobar last year had done to them on hard slides by other players. You're right, I haven't seen him do it this year, but my point stands, those slides are as, or more dangerous, than any bean ball. If this is about safety, then they'd be suspending the guys for those slides. Shit, Utley injured a dude and they reduced his suspension and Bautista didn't get a suspension for the illegal slide he got it for getting up and instigating a fight.

Throwing a ball at a person is the pu$$iest thing in sports (actually in life). Definitely in the AL where the pu$$y will never have to pay for the pu$$y act he committed

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 12:58 AM
Poor Reds. By comparison of what they're used to, Finnegan pitched a dominating game. He allowed 1 run in 8 innings. But he went against Kershaw, so he gets a Loss.

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Poor Reds. By comparison of what they're used to, Finnegan pitched a dominating game. He allowed 1 run in 8 innings. But he went against Kershaw, so he gets a Loss.

In 2 hours and 11 minutes. It was a fantastic game to watch, but also exemplifies the contradiction of baseball. People hate how long games take, but love teams that score runs. You want a short game? Have every game be 1-0.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 01:04 AM
In 2 hours and 11 minutes. It was a fantastic game to watch, but also exemplifies the contradiction of baseball. People hate how long games take, but love teams that score runs. You want a short game? Have every game be 1-0.

The game I went to had several HRs, went to the 12 inning, and lasted from 7pm to midnight. :lol:

CoachChaz
05-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Throwing a ball at a person is the pu$$iest thing in sports (actually in life). Definitely in the AL where the pu$$y will never have to pay for the pu$$y act he committed

When your team has a roster consisting of a few of the most hated guys in the game, I can see why it would be easy to have this stance.

weazel
05-24-2016, 09:05 AM
When your team has a roster consisting of a few of the most hated guys in the game, I can see why it would be easy to have this stance.

the roster has nothing to do with the fact it is a pu$$y act. You don't think throwing a ball at someone because your mad is pathetic? Grab some balls and really do something, don't act like an 8 year old girl and throw something at someone. LMAO I can't believe I'm having this argument with grown men.

Bautista didn't get thrown at because of a dirty play, he got thrown at for flipping a bat LMMFAO, are you kidding me? that's pathetic, how weak are these players minds?

The Twins threw at Donaldson twice for staring into their dugout, that's some weak mental makeup.

What goes on inside a weak minded individuals head? "Holy shit did you see him stare at us, now I feel shame... Someone throw a ball at him, he's a meany!"

I'm all for retribution on a dirty play, but be a ******* man about it, not an 8 year old pu$$y

Buff
05-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Sliding to break up a double play is a baseball play. There is a strategic purpose behind the action. It's part of the game.

Throwing intentionally at a player is a cowardly attempt at masculinity - it's unfair and one-sided and there is zero skill involved.

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Sliding to break up a double play is a baseball play. There is a strategic purpose behind the action. It's part of the game.

Throwing intentionally at a player is a cowardly attempt at masculinity - it's unfair and one-sided and there is zero skill involved.

I disagree, but let's end the "safety" charade game, because the slide is more dangerous.

weazel
05-24-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm lost, you are the one who brought up safety... nobody else mentioned it.

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm lost, you are the one who brought up safety... nobody else mentioned it.

Josh Donaldson did in the article that started this conversation.

weazel
05-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Josh Donaldson did in the article that started this conversation.

oh okay, gotcha... I thought you were saying I did. I agree with you on that.

Buff
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
I disagree, but let's end the "safety" charade game, because the slide is more dangerous.

Tell that to Ryan Vogelsong.

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Tell that to Ryan Vogelsong.

He wasn't thrown at intentionally. They stand into a batters box 162 games a year for three or four at bats with 100 mph pitches inches away from them. Accidents happen and it's unfortunate and scary, but can you name me the last intentionally thrown pitch that resulted in suspension that also injured someone? I can't.

Buff
05-24-2016, 02:20 PM
He wasn't thrown at intentionally. They stand into a batters box 162 games a year for three or four at bats with 100 mph pitches inches away from them. Accidents happen and it's unfortunate and scary, but can you name me the last intentionally thrown pitch that resulted in suspension that also injured someone? I can't.

I am fine with them revising the slide rules to protect players - but a batter shouldn't have to worry about getting drilled because he showed too much emotion. I have done a total 180 degree turn on this over the years... I used to think it was part of the game - now I think it's just a chicken shit tactic employed by losers.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 02:25 PM
How hard do they throw when they intentionally hit batters?

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Who are they hitting?

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 03:15 PM
Who are they hitting?

Batters. The guy standing there with the bat?

weazel
05-24-2016, 03:17 PM

the two pitches thrown at Donaldson on the weekend were both above 90 according to the announcers. Donaldson did a great job of getting out of the way on the first pitch and it really should have hit him, the second was thrown behind him. But hey, he stared at them after he hit the ball so he deserves it... dirty freaking c##t

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 04:17 PM
the two pitches thrown at Donaldson on the weekend were both above 90 according to the announcers. Donaldson did a great job of getting out of the way on the first pitch and it really should have hit him, the second was thrown behind him. But hey, he stared at them after he hit the ball so he deserves it... dirty freaking c##t

He probably did deserve it. His face is annoying.

weazel
05-24-2016, 04:32 PM
He probably did deserve it. His face is annoying.

it's the hair. He's a great player but I can't take him serious with that hair.

MOtorboat
05-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Batters. The guy standing there with the bat?

No. I really meant who is the batter.

:2thumbs:

Like, is it A.J. Pierzynski?

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
No. I really meant who is the batter.

:2thumbs:

Like, is it A.J. Pierzynski?

Anyone from the Cardinals, hopefully.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Wishing I could catch the Orioles game. Top of the 12th right now.

CoachChaz
05-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Wishing I could catch the Orioles game. Top of the 12th right now.

You only missed the inevitable

CoachChaz
05-25-2016, 11:24 AM

According to Jose Bautista, EVERY time he gets hit with a pitch...it was intentional.

Poet
05-25-2016, 11:38 AM
On a side note - Baseball needs more batflips, stares into the dugouts, more shit talking, et al. the sport feels so emotionless compared to the other major major NA sports.

With that being said, most of the time when someone is thrown at they aren't plunked with a 100 MPH aimed at the noggin. The slides can hurt someone...but the slides can be used to break up a double play. But sometimes the slides aren't about breaking up the double play and are about hurting someone.

Long story short, I do think throwing a pitch at someone is cowardly and I don't have an issue with a well-intentioned hard slide.

CoachChaz
05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
On a side note - Baseball needs more batflips, stares into the dugouts, more shit talking, et al. the sport feels so emotionless compared to the other major major NA sports.

With that being said, most of the time when someone is thrown at they aren't plunked with a 100 MPH aimed at the noggin. The slides can hurt someone...but the slides can be used to break up a double play. But sometimes the slides aren't about breaking up the double play and are about hurting someone.

Long story short, I do think throwing a pitch at someone is cowardly and I don't have an issue with a well-intentioned hard slide.

The things that was always interesting to me was that there really weren't many middle infielders...past or present...that were concerned about having a rule on hard slides at 2nd. MLB just kind of took it upon themselves.

Poet
05-25-2016, 11:50 AM
The things that was always interesting to me was that there really weren't many middle infielders...past or present...that were concerned about having a rule on hard slides at 2nd. MLB just kind of took it upon themselves.

Was it because the infielders were hard sliders themselves?

CoachChaz
05-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Was it because the infielders were hard sliders themselves?

I really think hard sliding boils down to competitiveness. The more competitive the player...the more likely a hard slide will happen. But, sometimes accidents occur. No one can really think Utley meant for his slide last year to be as nasty as it was. He's just never been that type of player. On the other hand...I could see some guys actually playing with the intent to hurt someone.

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 12:15 PM

I completely agree and disagree. Bat flip, stare, taunt, jaw, prance around like a ballerina, then be prepared to get one in the back or the butt. It all makes it more entertaining to me.

chazoe60
05-25-2016, 12:49 PM

I think it's stupid that they did away with the neighborhood play and added a slide rule. Essentially they didn't fix the safety issue because now guys are planted on the bag when the slide comes instead of being able to make the throw from a safer distance.

I wish they would have just left it alone and left the neighborhood play unreviewable.

Dapper Dan
05-25-2016, 12:54 PM
You only missed the inevitable

I caught a stream of the last few inning Orioles blew several chances. Ugh

Poet
05-25-2016, 12:55 PM
I completely agree and disagree. Bat flip, stare, taunt, jaw, prance around like a ballerina, then be prepared to get one in the back or the butt. It all makes it more entertaining to me.

Why is a bat flip, a stare, a taunt, a jaw, a prance, or any of that worthy of being hit? That shit happens on the football field, basketball court, and hockey rinks just about at a constant rate. I flip my bat, you hit me with a pitch, I go to fight you or shove you and the catcher gets in the way. That just seems so strange to me.

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Why is a bat flip, a stare, a taunt, a jaw, a prance, or any of that worthy of being hit? That shit happens on the football field, basketball court, and hockey rinks just about at a constant rate. I flip my bat, you hit me with a pitch, I go to fight you or shove you and the catcher gets in the way. That just seems so strange to me.

Hey, at least you get a free base for acting like a jackass.

:whoknows:

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 12:58 PM
P.S. You do that on a hockey rink or a football field and you get your block knocked off.

Poet
05-25-2016, 01:16 PM
P.S. You do that on a hockey rink or a football field and you get your block knocked off.

Those moments happen all the time in hockey and football. Guys aren't getting targeted for celebrations and the like at the same rate in MLB.

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Those moments happen all the time in hockey and football. Guys aren't getting targeted for celebrations and the like at the same rate in MLB.

Right. It's rare and there's usually a history. Donaldson gets hit and thrown at because he's created that history. He also crowds the plate and leans in. (He is not the only one)

Poet
05-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Right. It's rare and there's usually a history. Donaldson gets hit and thrown at because he's created that history. He also crowds the plate and leans in. (He is not the only one)

The history is apparently he's a doucher. Point being in the more physical sports if you got that beef you settle it hands on. In baseball you throw a ball from the safety of the mound and the catcher protecting you. It just reminds me as to why baseball isn't much of a real sport.

Buff
05-25-2016, 01:21 PM
MO-"Hawk Harrilson"-torboat ought to take his opinions back to the 1970s where they belong.

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 01:23 PM
MO-"Hawk Harrilson"-torboat ought to take his opinions back to the 1970s where they belong.

Whoa. Too far.

chazoe60
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM

I would have loved to see Rizzo (another notorious plate Crowder, probably the worst) or Donaldson take an at bat against Nolan Ryan.

weazel
05-25-2016, 01:56 PM
I would have loved to see Rizzo (another notorious plate Crowder, probably the worst) or Donaldson take an at bat against Nolan Ryan.

or Robin Ventura! errrr, scratch that.

Poet
05-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Heaven forbid a batter stand in a legal position. Pitchers are the biggest divas in the world. Don't look at me, don't celebrate, don't have fun, don't talk shit to me, let me throw a ball at you if I get my feelings hurt and then have the catcher protect me, and don't get mad or look for recourse if I bean you for standing legally at the plate.

Slick
05-25-2016, 03:30 PM
I want to bean Kinger in the back with my fastball right now!

chazoe60
05-25-2016, 03:32 PM
I want to bean Kinger in the back with my fastball right now!

Gross.

MOtorboat
05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Heaven forbid a batter stand in a legal position. Pitchers are the biggest divas in the world. Don't look at me, don't celebrate, don't have fun, don't talk shit to me, let me throw a ball at you if I get my feelings hurt and then have the catcher protect me, and don't get mad or look for recourse if I bean you for standing legally at the plate.

That's my plate. Back the **** up.

-Signed, every good pitcher ever.

MOtorboat
05-26-2016, 06:42 PM
This is your 24 hour warning that Julio Urias is making his major league debut for the Dodgers on MLB network. Plan accordingly.

chazoe60
05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
This is your 24 hour warning that Julio Urias is making his major league debut for the Dodgers on MLB network. Plan accordingly.

Well that was some debut. :laugh::laugh:

MOtorboat
05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Well that was some debut. :laugh::laugh:

He's going to be pretty good. Left a couple of those slider/curves up in the zone and didn't get a couple of calls. I think both will be corrected, the tools are there.

MOtorboat
05-28-2016, 08:18 PM
So Noah Syndergaard has now served more of a suspension for not even hitting Chase Utley than Chase Utley did for breaking Wilmer Flores' leg.

#safety

For those of you wondering, Flores finally is healthy almost seven months later.

MOtorboat
05-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks to the Arizona and San Diego pitching staffs, my day baseball extravaganza has been boring.

Dapper Dan
06-01-2016, 10:41 PM
25 year old John Lamb of the Reds got his first win.

Poet
06-01-2016, 11:38 PM
When will my Yankees be good again?

Dapper Dan
06-01-2016, 11:49 PM
When will my Yankees be good again?

At least they're better than your Reds.

Poet
06-02-2016, 12:55 AM
At least they're better than your Reds.

Cincinnati is dead to me. I repudiate and rebuke that city, and all sports teams from there.

Dapper Dan
06-02-2016, 01:02 AM
Cincinnati is dead to me. I repudiate and rebuke that city, and all sports teams from there.

I know exactly how you feel. To me, it's not even the team, it's the shitty fans.

Poet
06-02-2016, 01:04 AM
I know exactly how you feel. To me, it's not even the team, it's the shitty fans.

#shotsfired #targetpractice #crosshairs #bangbang #callthedoctor #coldblooded

chazoe60
06-03-2016, 10:25 AM
If something happened to Madison Bumgarner and he could no longer pitch do you think he could be a first baseman. They showed a graphic on MLB Network that showed that Bumgarner, Trout and Harper are all tied with 11 HRs in their last 190 plate appearances. That is insane.

Buff
06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
If something happened to Madison Bumgarner and he could no longer pitch do you think he could be a first baseman. They showed a graphic on MLB Network that showed that Bumgarner, Trout and Harper are all tied with 11 HRs in their last 190 plate appearances. That is insane.

It sucks he plays for the Giants because he's hard not to like/root for. Guy is a hell of a ball player. I'm pretty sure they've pinch hit him when they had other bench players available in the past.

MOtorboat
06-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Yeah. They'd probably send him to the minors until next spring training, but I don't see any reason he couldn't. Greinke has expressed his desire to play shortstop in the past and he could probably do it with some seasoning.

chazoe60
06-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Yeah. They'd probably send him to the minors until next spring training, but I don't see any reason he couldn't. Greinke has expressed his desire to play shortstop in the past and he could probably do it with some seasoning.

I bet Kershaw could handle himself as a position player as well.

MOtorboat
06-03-2016, 12:36 PM
I bet Kershaw could handle himself as a position player as well.

Maybe at first base too. I don't think he's quite the athlete that Bumgarner and Greinke are. Side note, he was Matthew Stafford's center in high school.

Dapper Dan
06-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Lol. Manny Machado was ready to beat some ass.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 02:42 AM
Lol. Manny Machado was ready to beat some ass.

Machado is a bitch. Ventura pitched him in in the 2nd inning because he crowds the plate and that's good pitching. Three pitches in, wasn't trying to hit him, just pitching in. Machado popped out and started jawing like a whiner. Probably told Ventura to hit him. So Ventura did.

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Machado is a bitch. Ventura pitched him in in the 2nd inning because he crowds the plate and that's good pitching. Three pitches in, wasn't trying to hit him, just pitching in. Machado popped out and started jawing like a whiner. Probably told Ventura to hit him. So Ventura did.

Sure. And Manny had every right to go back after him. When you're trying to make a statement you don't hit a guy with a 90+ mph fastball. That's a total bitch move. Be a KC Homer all you want but most unbiased people will side with Manny on this.

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 03:55 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16031510/manny-machado-charges-mound-punches-yordano-ventura-plunking

Ventura said through an interpreter. "One just got away

Yeah. He didn't mean to. Bullshit.

Ventura previously hit Machado and Chris Davis in a Royals win on Sept. 12 last season.

He's already hit Manny before.

For Ventura, this marked his third career ejection.

Not his fault. He just has control issues.

a 99 mph fastball

FFS. Seriously?

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 03:58 AM
Here's a good video of what happened earlier and the fight.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v787801783/must-c-confrontation-machados-mad-charge-at-ventura

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:02 AM
Here's Manny crowding the plate.

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:06 AM
Maybe he should stand back there.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Machado dives at the plate. Anyone with any basic knowledge of baseball understands what batters with that stance do. Give me a break.

He pitched inside, heaven forbid he do that in this day and age. Apparently, yahoos nowadays think you have to pitch someone down the middle of the plate or you're trying to hit them. Do you know how absurd that is. Machado got bent out of shape and jawed at him...again...so he plunked his ass.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:12 AM
It always cracks me up when people feign offense at a 99 mph pitch, as if a 90 mph fastball would hurt less. Don't want the fastball in the back, don't jaw at the pitcher on a routine fly out.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Sure. And Manny had every right to go back after him. When you're trying to make a statement you don't hit a guy with a 90+ mph fastball. That's a total bitch move. Be a KC Homer all you want but most unbiased people will side with Manny on this.

I have no problem with Machado charging him. Acting like Machado wasn't the instigator is pure idiocy, though.

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:24 AM
I guess that'll teach em. Don't say anything to pitchers. They're big ******* babies. You'll hurt their feelings.

You shouldn't throw much harder than 80 if you're trying to make a point. When you get close to 100 you're just hoping to hurt some one. We can agree to disagree whatever. Ventura is a bitch. He has a history of it. He'll get what's coming to him someday.

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:24 AM
I have no problem with Machado charging him. Acting like Machado wasn't the instigator is pure idiocy, though.

Yes mo. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Great argument there.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:26 AM
Since you brought history up, here's Machado's history:

How dare someone throw inside at Machado? He just going to throw the bat at your third basemen. Probably slipped.

https://youtu.be/4ZGGRxYOH9Y

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:29 AM
Yes mo. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Great argument there.

I didn't say you were an idiot. Your argument on the other hand...

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Since you brought history up, here's Machado's history:

How dare someone throw inside at Machado? He just going to throw the bat at your third basemen. Probably slipped.

https://youtu.be/4ZGGRxYOH9Y

Yes. Once. Did he throw his bat near the guy a few times? Did he hit him twice?

Dapper Dan
06-08-2016, 04:32 AM
I didn't say you were an idiot. Your argument on the other hand...

That's what you always go to when you don't know how to further your point. I'm used to it. That pretty much means it's over.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:34 AM
Yes. Once. Did he throw his bat near the guy a few times? Did he hit him twice?

Lol.

What we have are two hot heads. Ventura threw inside, heaven forbid, and Machado got pissy. Machado challenged a hot head and got plunked. Machado was clearly the instigator, but whatever.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 04:36 AM
That's what you always go to when you don't know how to further your point. I'm used to it. That pretty much means it's over.

If I want to call you an idiot, I'll do it.

I suppose this was all just you baiting me? I'm not surprised. That's what you do.

chazoe60
06-08-2016, 07:14 AM
I love baseball.

weazel
06-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Ventura is a bitch and the only person that would defend that is a KC fan. Dan you owned the last few pages, the images were hilarious... crowding the plate lmfao give me a ******* break.

As I said... pu$$iest thing in sport, this little bitch is just one of the worst at it. He's the exact same little piece of shit that runs his mouth while hiding behind his friends when shit goes down. He's the yappy little dog

Buff
06-08-2016, 09:37 AM
What the hell is MO in here talking about? It's like I don't even know him anymore.

chazoe60
06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Ventura is a bitch but so is Machado.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 11:26 AM
What the hell is MO in here talking about? It's like I don't even know him anymore.

I stand by what I said. Machado wanted it, he got it.

Poet
06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
It always cracks me up when people feign offense at a 99 mph pitch, as if a 90 mph fastball would hurt less. Don't want the fastball in the back, don't jaw at the pitcher on a routine fly out.

Mo, a 90 MPH fastball would hurt less and do less damage...because it's lacking almost one tenth of the force of the pitch.

Buff
06-08-2016, 12:02 PM
There is a reason why his catcher didn’t sprint to stop the lurching Machado, why his manager admitted after the game that the Royals have grown weary of him, why, according to executives from two teams, the Royals within the past month have offered Ventura up in trade talks: For an act this tired, the performance must validate it, and the chasm between Ventura’s performance and potential is grand.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-reason-why-the-royals-have-considered-trading-yordano-ventura-071920349-mlb.html

Poet
06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
"That's the m.o. of Ventura." - Announcer of the game.

"He threw at him in the second inning." - Announcer of the game.

"This has followed him in his brief career." - Announcer of the game.

So you have a douchebag who throws at people all the time and a batter that isn't actually crowding the plate. The justification for drilling a guy with a heater is that he talked shit to you. Using that same logic, if a pitcher talks shit a batter, the batter should be able to use his weapon (the bat) and hit the pitcher.

When you break it down like that, the absurdity of throwing heat at batters is apparent. Suspend the pitcher for a month and the batter for three games.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
The Orioles homer announcers getting pissy about an inside fastball was hilarious to me. Just like Machado getting offended. Like Ryan LeFebvre said, "apparently when Manny Machado is at the plate, you're required to throw it right down the middle for him."

Dude dives at the plate, look at his swing, not his stance.

MOtorboat
06-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Mo, a 90 MPH fastball would hurt less and do less damage...because it's lacking almost one tenth of the force of the pitch.

Name me the last player hit intentionally who went on the DL.