PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Ware Announces Return to Broncos

Magnificent Seven
02-09-2016, 12:27 AM
On Super Bowl Sunday, DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller spearheaded a ferocious pass rush that frustrated Cam Newton and won the Denver Broncos the Lombardi Trophy. Ware apparently decided he's going to come back next year to try to win another title.

After Denver's victory, the veteran linebacker talked about why he will return to the Broncos for a 12th NFL season.

"I got a lot of gas in the tank," Ware said, per Dan Hanzus of NFL.com. "Von was the one that added the gas to the fire for me, so that's why I'm playing the way I'm playing right now. I don't think about retiring. God still wants me to play—that's why I'm still doing what I'm doing.

"When I start bringing the cane out, you guys make sure that you tell me, 'DeMarcus, it's time to hang the cleats up.'"

Ware, 33, is one of the most prolific pass-rushers in NFL history. His 134.5 regular-season sacks are the 11th-most in NFL history, and he's third among active players (Jared Allen, Julius Peppers).

While Ware isn't the player he was during nine years with the Dallas Cowboys, he contributed to the NFL's best pass rush in 2015. The veteran recorded 25 tackles and 7.5 sacks, numbers that rank among his career worsts but proved situationally effective. Ware was also limited to 11 games because of injury and was hampered by a knee issue during the Broncos' postseason run.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612634-demarcus-ware-announces-return-to-broncos-latest-comments-and-reaction?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Joel
02-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Half surprised, but pleased. The difference between the punishing, smothering turnover machine the first half of the season and in the playoffs vs. the month Wares spasms sidelined him was self-evident. It's not just denying teams the luxury of double teaming Von or Wolfe (though that's huge.) DeMarcus Ware is to our D what Peyton Manning is to our O: The field marshals to Wade and Kubiaks unit commanders-in-chief. Glad he and the Broncos could to this together; look forward to more.

That's $10 million of cap space (in addition to a little over $1 million in bonuses) we don't get back on 2016s cap though. Worth it. REALLY hope he can have the kind of broad, deep and enduring effect on our front seven that I believe Champ's had on our CBs (excluding Talib, who wasn't here at the same time.) :salute:

Dapper Dan
02-09-2016, 12:57 AM
This is big.

Yashahla17
02-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Dont think there was any doubt he'd return, ware is thinking about a repeat, just like me.

Joel
02-09-2016, 03:02 AM
Yeah, but you haven't missed multiple games with back spasms 2 of the last 3 seasons (and I doubt you turn 34 this summer.)

DenBronx
02-09-2016, 03:09 AM
Woah woah woah...this is Captain Commando we're talking about here. He ain't going anywhere!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-09-2016, 07:12 AM
After the way Ware finished this season, I didn't expect anything else. Going forward managing his health is going to be paramount (would be lying if it didn't give me a little pause) and Wade is going to have to be smart in keeping his snap count at a reasonable level, especially in the middle part of next season. Thankfully we have the depth and personnel (and a blueprint from this season) to make sure that Ware is at his freshest and healthiest at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Von has taken a lot of the attention on this Super Bowl run, and rightfully so... not that Ware has been forgotten or ignored, but it's incredible how much DeMarcus raised his game big time as well. Him and Von, the way they feed off of each other, it's special to watch and it makes them both take their games to a whole 'nother level.

BroncoJoe
02-09-2016, 08:26 AM
If we can afford to bring him back, that almost guarantees Von isn't going anywhere.

Rick
02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
With the depth we have at OLB we can keep ware fresh throughout the season again, limit his snaps and let him lose in big games/moments.

SR
02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I think we will all be in for a monster season from Wolfe next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him finish with 10+ sacks and a Pro Bowl nod after his late season and playoff dominance.

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Is this really news? I guess it is if you thought he was going to retire, which I never did. He's under contract, so yes, he's "returning" to the Broncos ... unless he gets cut to save cap space. We kind of knew this already.

As far as if it's a good idea, I think we were all under the assumption that he'd be gone after this year, but the pass rush was not the same when he was not in there. If they can afford to keep him, I would. Kind of depends on how they want to spend their money, though.

TXBRONC
02-09-2016, 09:43 AM
If he can stay healthy Denver's defense will put up another 50 plus sack season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-09-2016, 09:57 AM
I wonder if this is a negotiation tactic...is his contract garanteed this year?

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
I wonder if this is a negotiation tactic...is his contract garanteed this year?

No. Elway structured it so that he would be here for two years and then we'd see on the third year (which is next year). His cap hit is $11.66 million, but we'd save $10 million if he's cut. Like I said, that seemed like an inevitability at the beginning of the year, but now I'm not so sure.

Ziggy
02-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Ware had 10 pressures and 2 sacks in the super bowl. He's still one of the best pass rushers in the nfl when healthy.

Hawgdriver
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
This team was special and Ware was a big part of that. Glad he's returning.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
This will take some Elway magic for figuring out cap space and FA. I think ware will get a reduce salary then this year due to back issues.

NightTrainLayne
02-09-2016, 10:42 AM
This will take some Elway magic for figuring out cap space and FA. I think ware will get a reduce salary then this year due to back issues.

I agree. I'm happy to have him back, but we're going to need to re-do his deal. And re-do is different than re-structure. Re-do means a pay-cut. Maybe something like we did with Manning where he gets it back based on playoff/superbowl success, but a pay-cut nonetheless.

Buff
02-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Agreed that he'll need to re-do his deal... It doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion to me that Elway wants him back at his current cap number of ~$11 mil/yr.

Timmy!
02-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Agreed that he'll need to re-do his deal... It doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion to me that Elway wants him back at his current cap number of ~$11 mil/yr.

Agreed, but I think Ware knows this. We'll get it worked out.

Buff
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Agreed, but I think Ware knows this. We'll get it worked out.

I would be surprised if he is still on the team next year. With the emergence of Ray and Barrett, and with Miller's pending mega-contract, combined with his ongoing back issues - Ware is expendable.

Timmy!
02-09-2016, 12:40 PM
I would be surprised if he is still on the team next year. With the emergence of Ray and Barrett, and with Miller's pending mega-contract, combined with his ongoing back issues - Ware is expendable.

Also agree, but his leadership and mentoring of Von has been huge. I think they find a way.

BroncoNut
02-09-2016, 12:43 PM
If we can afford to bring him back, that almost guarantees Von isn't going anywhere.

if you don't mind me asking, how so?

GEM
02-09-2016, 12:52 PM
If we don't restructure him, we're keeping him at the cost of Jackson and possibly Trevathan.

BroncoNut
02-09-2016, 01:26 PM
If we don't restructure him, we're keeping him at the cost of Jackson and possibly Trevathan.

how do you guys know all this stuff?

BroncoNut
02-09-2016, 01:41 PM
ok fine, I'm outta here

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 01:57 PM

And maybe more. This is Elways time. He does magic in the offseason. But it also seems like he wants to keep his own players as well. So I hope most of our FA defensive players stay.

nevcraw
02-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Von will want Ware back - you can bet he will weave this in his own negotiations. Also - Can't see Elway cutting the leader of the defense who is playing well.
Meanwhile, we really need to try keep Jackson and most importantly the leading tackler (2 of the last 3 years) Danny T. Not sure how all is possible and OL upgrades too.

Maybe best to let Os walk and go after Brees. Elway's dad was a huge fan.... Just saying.. would you really be surprised??

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Von will want Ware back - you can bet he will weave this in his own negotiations. Also - Can't see Elway cutting the leader of the defense who is playing well.
Meanwhile, we really need to try keep Jackson and most importantly the leading tackler (2 of the last 3 years) Danny T. Not sure how all is possible and OL upgrades too.

Maybe best to let Os walk and go after Brees. Elway's dad was a huge fan.... Just saying.. would you really be surprised??

You can't pay Miller top dollar, keep Ware, Jackson, Trevathan and then sign Brees. I know people like to dream around here but there actually is a salary cap.

Buff
02-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Not only that, but the Saints owner is on record saying they will work out Brees' contract and that he will be their QB next year.

SR
02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Von will want Ware back - you can bet he will weave this in his own negotiations. Also - Can't see Elway cutting the leader of the defense who is playing well. Meanwhile, we really need to try keep Jackson and most importantly the leading tackler (2 of the last 3 years) Danny T. Not sure how all is possible and OL upgrades too. Maybe best to let Os walk and go after Brees. Elway's dad was a huge fan.... Just saying.. would you really be surprised??

I would be furious if Denver went after Brees.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 07:55 PM

Never liked him.

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 07:58 PM

Have no fear (or fury) - there's no chance they go after him.

nevcraw
02-09-2016, 09:40 PM
You can't pay Miller top dollar, keep Ware, Jackson, Trevathan and then sign Brees. I know people like to dream around here but there actually is a salary cap.

you quoted me - did you actual read what I typed? never did I say all that was going to happen.

nevcraw
02-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Was just having some fun with the Brees stuff - but honestly - what is there not to like about Brees? I would take him for 2-3 years ala manning for the same amount before spending 12-15 mil a year on Os at this point.. The evidence Os being anything but a pretty good back-up is pretty inconclusive.

arapaho2
02-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Meanwhile, we really need to try keep Jackson and most importantly the leading tackler (2 of the last 3 years) Danny T. Not sure how all is possible and OL upgrades too. '

So it's better to let a young promising qb, who we have groomed under manning for 4 yrs...and go after another aged an who will demand a much higher deal

Not seeing the logic

DenBronx
02-10-2016, 03:41 AM
Keeping these guys on defense is a priority. Yes even over Brock. I love this squad...and Wade is a G!!!

#drippin

Joel
02-10-2016, 05:34 AM
Every coach taking over a team wants "his" guy under center. Surviving—just FINISHING—his first contract often depends on that and the linked goal of winning a SB. Kubiak's obviously earned beaucoup capital winning a SB his first year, but ask Coughlin how quickly that credit's exhausted. If Oz didn't suit Kubiaks offense so well and/or have few enough seasons and starts to be developed as Kubiak pleases, I'd say our next franchise QB's not even in the NFL yet. That may be true ANYWAY.

I do know it won't be Brees or another aging placeholder, however good. We won the desperate race to win a title before our aging HoFer disintegrated—but only by a nose, with THE GOAT. There's a reason many tried but NONE EVER BEFORE SUCCEEDED. We won't adopt that as our MODEL; it's too financially, emotionally and mentally exhausting to maintain indefinitely. We wouldn't have to build a supporting cast now, but we'd play Hell maintaining it with $20+ million/yr pre-committed.

Anyway, if we lock up the D, re-sign CJ, build a line to let him run wild and get DTs groove back, we don't NEED an ELITE QB to win more SBs: Just a smart, careful and opportunistic one. Securing homefield with a season of a halting Manning and inexperienced Oz, followed by a SB run with an adequate Manning against top teams, proved that. Perhaps most importantly, Kubiak doesn't want to get Schaubbed out of his dream job at his "football home."

NightTerror218
02-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Keeping these guys on defense is a priority. Yes even over Brock. I love this squad...and Wade is a G!!!

#drippin

So we can be the jets? The jets have had really good defenses in the past but always suck because they have no QB.

What do you do for QB, draft a 2nd tier QB in draft and start him?

Ravage!!!
02-10-2016, 11:48 AM

Brees isn't leaving NO's, as I believe he was awarded a 10 million dollar bonus today in NO. Unless they cut him before the day is up.

But I'm with you, either way. I wouldn't want him in Denver even he went FA.

Ravage!!!
02-10-2016, 11:50 AM
So we can be the jets? The jets have had really good defenses in the past but always suck because they have no QB.

What do you do for QB, draft a 2nd tier QB in draft and start him?

Absolutely right. Everyone keeps saying that we ahve to pay all the money to the defense to make a second run. With no QB, how did that work out for the Bears, Ravens, or Bucs? They couldn't staty contenders until they got a QB to go along with that defense.