PDA

View Full Version : What if PFM doesn't retire?

pulse
02-08-2016, 07:51 PM
I think there is a real possibility that Peyton is cut from the Denver Broncos in March if he decides not to retire. Brock will be resigned and Denver will use a second or third round pick on a QB to be his backup.

How do you folks feel about Peyton Manning playing another year for another team? At first I laughed at the thought of him seriously considering playing in Los Angeles. But as the weeks go by without any official statement from Peyton, people will start to speculate wildy about what his future will be. I think he just might entertain the idea.

If his foot heals and he feels capable of his playing abilities in a month or two, he just might entertain the idea of returning to the NFL in 2016. I do not think Peyton will finish his contract in Denver however. I think Elway will want to move forward with Brock in Kube's offense. What do you folks think?

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I think there is little to no chance of him coming back but if he does, there is zero chance Elway brings him back. There are just too many other guys to pay to bring Manning back for one more year.

Dapper Dan
02-08-2016, 07:55 PM
I don't wanna think about that.

Northman
02-08-2016, 07:55 PM
The Broncos cant afford to bring him back because they are going to have a lot of other needs to take care not too mention make a decision on Brock. The Broncos in general gave him a parting gift so the only reason why i think he would come back is to get that passing record but my guess is he will end up doing that for another team if he can actually do it physically. I would say its about 99% that he will not be a Bronco next year no matter what his decision is.

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I can't see us handling $20m salary. He will be released and allowed to sign with Colts to retire as a colt anyways.

Elway will allow him to retire a Colt. He is that classy.

pulse
02-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I can't see us handling $20m salary. He will be released and allowed to sign with Colts to retire as a colt anyways.

If Peyton did indeed announce retirement, that would be a very classy thing for Elway to do. I hope Manning is inducted as both a Colt and a Bronco. He did some amazing things in Denver. That cannot be overlooked. It better damn-well not be.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:04 PM
If Peyton did indeed announce retirement, that would be a very classy thing for Elway to do. I hope Manning is inducted as both a Colt and a Bronco. He did some amazing things in Denver. That cannot be overlooked. It better damn-well not be.

HOF inductees all go in as members of every team they play for. If you look at Tony Dorsett's bust, you will see it list the Broncos.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
he can go play for someone else if he wants but that would be a disaster since he is done and has been done. But whatever he decides im just glad he won't be playing for the Broncos anymore.

SR
02-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Without knowing the ins and outs of his contract, if he does decide to play next year and Denver decides to cut him, how much dead money will be against the cap in 2016?

pulse
02-08-2016, 08:06 PM
he can go play for someone else if he wants but that would be a disaster since he is done and has been done. But whatever he decides im just glad he won't be playing for the Broncos anymore.

You are ridiculous.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Zero chance he gets inducted as a bronco, he is not a bronco, dudes a career colt.

pulse
02-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Zero chance he gets inducted as a bronco, he is not a bronco, dudes a career colt.

I don't think Peyton would want to ignore Denver at his induction ceremony.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:09 PM
You are ridiculous.

About as ridiculous as you thinking he can be inducted into the hall of fame as a bronco and colt? Lol. Get lost bro. Every logical bronco fan is glad we won the ring for the guys AND manning. And those same logical fans do not want peyton manning back.

Nomad
02-08-2016, 08:09 PM
I'd be surprised if Manning chooses not to retire and dresses for another team. He'd have to drag his family to another city. What more does he have to prove, and he's a shell of himself.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
About as ridiculous as you thinking he can be inducted into the hall of fame as a bronco and colt? Lol.

Except he will be, because every player is inducted as a member of every team they play for.

pulse
02-08-2016, 08:12 PM
About as ridiculous as you thinking he can be inducted into the hall of fame as a bronco and colt? Lol. Get lost bro. Every logical bronco fan is glad we won the ring for the guys AND manning. And those same logical fans do not want peyton manning back.

I didn't say he would be back in Denver. But I did say you are ridiculous. You proclaim he is done. Your proclamations of late have sucked balls.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Smh you're delusional dude. Manning is DONE.

I Eat Staples
02-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Yash man, you should be a little bit happier the day after winning a Superbowl. It feels pretty good.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:15 PM

That's how we all feel about you posting on another forum.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:17 PM

You really have no idea how this all works, do you?

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Yash man, you should be a little bit happier the day after winning a Superbowl. It feels pretty good.

I am happy, stating the obvious doesn't make me less than happy, i do not want to see manning suit up for anyone next year let alone my Broncos, elway doesn't either

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Elway hinted at he should retire.

Northman
02-08-2016, 08:18 PM

As already pointed out there is no specific team anymore when being inducted. While he will mainly be remembered as a Colt he will also be remembered for being a Bronco and leading them to 2 SB's.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
You really have no idea how this all works, do you?

Explain how it works.

Davii

You're pretty dim.

Timmy!
Except he will be, because every player is inducted as a member of every team they play for.

Beat me to it....but I was gonna call Yash a stupid **** in the process.

Yashahla17
As already pointed out there is no specific team anymore when being inducted. While he will mainly be remembered as a Colt he will also be remembered for being a Bronco and leading them to 2 SB's.

Okay well nobody said that.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Explain how it works.

I already did twice if you would like to read back through the thread. The whole "inducted as a member of a specific team" thing is only a baseball thing. Football has no such system.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Um....?

aberdien
02-08-2016, 08:21 PM
He would be an idiot to NOT retire.

Yashahla17
Walk away, i get it now.

Timmy!
Explain how it works.

I'll give you a hint, it's not like baseball.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
He would be an idiot to NOT retire.

Preach preach preach.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Explain how it works.

How about you read a little bit there bright one?

Start with posts 7, 15, 23 then go read on another forum.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
I'll give you a hint, it's not like baseball.

Yash must have me on ignore or something. Sweet!

Davii
Preach preach preach.

Troll troll troll

SR
Without knowing the ins and outs of his contract, if he does decide to play next year and Denver decides to cut him, how much dead money will be against the cap in 2016?

**** Yash. Someone answer me please.

BroncoWave
02-08-2016, 08:24 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a year to year contract that they can get out of cap-hit free if they cut him before a certain day in March.

SR
02-08-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a year to year contract that they can get out of cap-hit free if they cut him before a certain day in March.

Thank you

Timmy!

I think I read somewhere that it's $2 mil. This is all pointless though, Peyton is hanging it up.

I Eat Staples

LOL

He either has a LOT of people on ignore, or he's definitely trolling. That's just too blatant.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:28 PM

I believe the option comes in again this year, if not I remember seeing it as a "small" hit, around 1or 2 million.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Walk away, i get it now.

Run away. We all know why you're here troll.

OrangeHoof
02-08-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm confident Manning retires but, if he doesn't Elway will release him. He has no choice. If another team signs him, it will be mostly for PR purposes.

BTW, I don't think we'll draft another QB if Ossie comes back. I think we'll sign a veteran to continue mentoring Brock.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:31 PM

Oh. My. *******. God. NO LESS THAN THREE PEOPLE SAID THAT!

Timmy!
02-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Edomite facts do not apply to idiots. Thus sayeth the lord.

pulse
02-08-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you, Yash, but you come off as a arrogant troll. The question I posed in the opening of the thread was pretty clear. "WHAT IF PFM DOESN'T RETIRE?" Your endless trolling off all things Manning has been noted for years. Thanks for stating your unabashed opinion once again and spewing it as if it is some kind of fact just to derail the thread like you manage to attempt in every thread.

Poet
02-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Rules are fickle things.

Poet
02-08-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you, Yash, but you come off as a arrogant troll. The question I posed in the opening of the thread was pretty clear. "WHAT IF PFM DOESN'T RETIRE?" Your endless trolling off all things Manning has been noted for years. Thanks for stating your unabashed opinion once again and spewing it as if it is some kind of fact just to derail the thread like you manage to attempt in every thread.

It's almost as if a fan on a message board that features his favorite team would want to talk about unlikely, but possible realities that could have ramifications for said team.

FanInAZ
02-08-2016, 08:39 PM
I think there is a real possibility that Peyton is cut from the Denver Broncos in March if he decides not to retire. Brock will be resigned and Denver will use a second or third round pick on a QB to be his backup.

Based on my observations, most teams draft intentions probably follow 1 of these pattern:

1st & 2nd: Drafted to become starters.
3rd & 4th: Drafted to compete for starting positions, but might settle in as a role player/backups
5th - 7th: Drafted to compete for role players/backups

1st -3rd: Drafted to become starters
4th - 7th: Drafted to compete for role players/backups

Either way, a QB that's drafted specifically to become a backup probably won't be drafted sooner the 4th. With Oz still being young & inexperienced, I suspect they may go for a veteran FA.

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Give him a break. He's having a rough day.

Joel
02-08-2016, 08:47 PM
I'd be surprised if Manning chooses not to retire and dresses for another team. He'd have to drag his family to another city. What more does he have to prove, and he's a shell of himself.
Based on ESPNs story last night he'd have to drag his mom "kicking and screaming." For Petes sake, he spent the SB bye being informed he'll eventually need a hip replacement. He just became the first QB to EVER win a SB with a SECOND team: Only two others have even REACHED another SB with a new team (and the first guy probably wants to forget his second as badly as any Bronco fans does.) Where does he go from up at the end of his rope?

It's been a HELL of a ride, and, IMHO, Peyton's established himself as the GoAT by doing the IMPOSSIBLE. Time to hang it up while he remembers his kids' names.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Missed it. Shit happens.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Doing a general Google search for "Manning" I got the following article as a "top story":

Peyton Manning Can Eat Shit
http://deadspin.com/peyton-manning-can-eat-shit-1757781250

That's some serious SEO work of some kind - no idea how something like this gets ranked so high.

Yash, you'll love that article.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:52 PM

I answer d the question, its not my fault you and others have to go left about my opinions and facts. A few people haven't even answered the threads question, just came right in to reply to me. Why dont you talk to them, those are the ones that's derailing your thread. As a matter of fact i have nothing else to add to this thread. Lets see you guys keep,it going.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Doing a general Google search for "Manning" I got the following article as a "top story":

Peyton Manning Can Eat Shit
http://deadspin.com/peyton-manning-can-eat-shit-1757781250

That's some serious SEO work of some kind - no idea how something like this gets ranked so high.

Yash, you'll love that article.

I dont do childish. Sorry

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Interesting. I thought you did childish quite well.

Davii
02-08-2016, 08:58 PM
I answer d the question, its not my fault you and others have to go left about my opinions and facts. A few people haven't even answered the threads question, just came right in to reply to me. Why dont you talk to them, those are the ones that's derailing your thread. As a matter of fact i have nothing else to add to this thread. Lets see you guys keep,it going.

*That are

Poet
02-08-2016, 09:04 PM

How do you folks feel about Peyton Manning playing another year for another team? At first I laughed at the thought of him seriously considering playing in Los Angeles. But as the weeks go by without any official statement from Peyton, people will start to speculate wildy about what his future will be. I think he just might entertain the idea.

If his foot heals and he feels capable of his playing abilities in a month or two, he just might entertain the idea of returning to the NFL in 2016. I do not think Peyton will finish his contract in Denver however. I think Elway will want to move forward with Brock in Kube's offense. What do you folks think?

If PFM doesn't retire he's going to put Elway into a situation where one legend has to let another legend go. It would be a press conference filled with love, admiration, respect, gratitude, and despite those strong positive feelings a business decision would occur. It would also be the correct thing to do from a business side of the coin. At that point another team might try to pick him up. L.A. would make sense in that it gives them something to market. They could spin it as 'one last ride for the Sheriff', point to a strong Rams defense, and play with the notion that lightning strikes twice.

It would be a disaster. Manning throws ducks at this point in his career. He simply doesn't have the physical ability to play NFL quarterback anymore.

pulse
02-08-2016, 09:25 PM
If PFM doesn't retire he's going to put Elway into a situation where one legend has to let another legend go. It would be a press conference filled with love, admiration, respect, gratitude, and despite those strong positive feelings a business decision would occur. It would also be the correct thing to do from a business side of the coin. At that point another team might try to pick him up. L.A. would make sense in that it gives them something to market. They could spin it as 'one last ride for the Sheriff', point to a strong Rams defense, and play with the notion that lightning strikes twice.

It would be a disaster. Manning throws ducks at this point in his career. He simply doesn't have the physical ability to play NFL quarterback anymore.

Manning threw 5500 yards on being able to plant off his back foot and sling the ball. If Peyton really is crippled to the point that he can no longer do that, then the question I pose is moot and this thread makes no sense. However, if he does heal and he feels like he can sling it again, retiring might not occur in 2016. Since his surgeries, Peyton has not had great arm strength. His passes are all about timing and reading the defense to find the open receiver. If he heals, shows any glimpse of 2014 Manning, I think he'll be entertained to play again. Denver releases him if that unfolds, most likely.

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
without knowing the ins and outs of his contract, if he does decide to play next year and denver decides to cut him, how much dead money will be against the cap in 2016?

$2.5 m

Davii
02-08-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't think there's any chance he'll be playing in Denver next year. I hope he retires, not because "he's done", but because he deserves to go out on top and he will not get that chance again.

ShaneFalco
02-08-2016, 09:39 PM
you honestly think Peyton is going to play in the NFC west against the Seahawks twice a year? With a shoddy rams o line? With a Owner who sucks?

Doubt it.

TXBRONC
02-08-2016, 10:08 PM

I think if he plays next season that is the last year of his contract. That said I don't think he'll be back.

broncohead
02-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I think if he wants to play another season he will be doing it with another team. It will be whats best for the team. He helped turn us in the Super Bowl contenders every season and helped get us a ring but his time is up.

TXBRONC
02-08-2016, 10:23 PM

I'm certain that 99% of everyone else understood what you were getting at Pulse. Anyway if Manning doesn't retire I still.don't see him being in a Bronco uniform next season.

Shazam!
02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
He will retire.

He will not go to LA or another team that is building.

he clearly cannot play at a high level anymore.

He will go out with a win, just like John.

Welcome Brock Osweiler.

ShaneFalco
02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
i wouldnt mind him in a Denver uniform again.

I dont know why everyone says its over. Maybe he takes a pay cut and goes for a 3rd ring here. i dont see him in the NFC west. Kroenke sucks, Fischer sucks. Maybe to make more money?

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2016, 10:53 PM
The way Manning was taking everything in I'll be astounded if he doesn't retire.

And as I love the idea of another legend retiring with the title in Denver. I really hope that's how it goes down.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 11:08 PM
The way Manning was taking everything in I'll be astounded if he doesn't retire.

And as I love the idea of another legend retiring with the title in Denver. I really hope that's how it goes down.

The way he told belichek this might be his last rodeo told me he'd hang it up.

Davii
02-08-2016, 11:16 PM
The way he told belichek this might be his last rodeo told me he'd hang it up.

*Belichick

ShaneFalco
02-08-2016, 11:18 PM
*belicheat

Joel
02-08-2016, 11:57 PM
i wouldnt mind him in a Denver uniform again.

I dont know why everyone says its over. Maybe he takes a pay cut and goes for a 3rd ring here. i dont see him in the NFC west. Kroenke sucks, Fischer sucks. Maybe to make more money?
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WHY?!!! What's he got left to prove? That the doctor who told him LAST WEEK Manning NEEDS AN ARTIFICIAL HIP was wrong? That his FUSED VERTEBRAE really are "stronger than ever"? That the same progressive spinal narrowing that ended Coopers career in HS and Peytons had SINCE BIRTH aren't obstacle to PLAYING PAST 40? That HIS OWN MOTHER'S wrong to HOPE he retires? That he played hurt THE LAST HALF OF HIS LAST THREE SEASONS, but forty-year-old time's a charm? No, I see it though, why it'd be worth rolling all those heavily loaded dice, I mean:

This season ended nicely, but there's still SO MUCH MORE he could've done if only he hadn't lost his last game! Wait, no, he won: GO HOME!

Joel
02-08-2016, 11:59 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Peyton+Manning+Spotrac+contract

Davii
02-09-2016, 12:09 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WHY?!!! What's he got left to prove? That the doctor who told him LAST WEEK Manning NEEDS AN ARTIFICIAL HIP was wrong? That his FUSED VERTEBRAE really are "stronger than ever"? That the same progressive spinal narrowing that ended Coopers career in HS and Peytons had SINCE BIRTH aren't obstacle to PLAYING PAST 40? That HIS OWN MOTHER'S wrong to HOPE he retires? That he played hurt THE LAST HALF OF HIS LAST THREE SEASONS, but forty-year-old time's a charm? No, I see it though, why it'd be worth rolling all those heavily loaded dice, I mean:

This season ended nicely, but there's still SO MUCH MORE he could've done if only he hadn't lost his last game! Wait, no, he won: GO HOME!

He wasn't serious Joel.

Bronco4ever
02-09-2016, 12:12 AM
I hope the Broncos are the last team Peyton plays for. Going out a champion would obviously be the way to go. Having said that, it's his decision and he's earned the right to do what he wants, even if people disagree with it.

Joel
02-09-2016, 01:10 AM
He wasn't serious Joel.
Sorry, still haven't slept since before the game; still have NO eye for text facetiousness absent emoticons. :redface:

Poet
02-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Sorry, still haven't slept since before the game; still have NO eye for text facetiousness absent emoticons. :redface:

Go to bed. Dream of a better offensive line, a better world, and burgers.

Davii
02-09-2016, 01:39 AM
Go to bed. Dream of a better offensive line, a better world, and burgers.

Burgers. Good lord. Man, you have to come visit, I'll show you some great food including some AMAZING burgers.

Poet
02-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Burgers. Good lord. Man, you have to come visit, I'll show you some great food including some AMAZING burgers.

I'll shoot you a PM later in the week because I am planning on traveling a little this summer. I really want to get to either D.C. or New York. I might do Denver or New Orleans, but if I can get to two cities NYC and DC are more pressing. Not that I don't love the shit out of you, but law school shenanigans.

SR
02-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Oh. Ok.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-09-2016, 07:18 AM

It amazes me how many people are unaware of this fact.

As an aside, the case can be made that what he accomplished in a fraction of the time with the Broncos is just as impressive as what he accomplished as a Colt when factoring in the injury he came off of, the two prolific offensive seasons he put up, taking a 2nd team to two SB's in 4 years and winning his 2nd Lombardi Trophy.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-09-2016, 07:20 AM
And there is no way Manning doesn't retire... what would be the point of coming back? Having Marshall and Mosley take in this playoff run, the emotional speeches, the introspective musings; he knows how rare it would be to go out a Super Bowl Champion. I know some people think he's interested in the personal records and accolades but I get the sense that he's 100% genuine when he says they don't matter to him.

TXBRONC
02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
*Belichick

*belicheat

He deserves no less than four ****.

BroncoJoe
02-09-2016, 08:10 AM
I think it said a lot about his future when he stayed in California with his family and went to Disney as opposed to flying home with the team. I'm not even sure if he'll be at the parade today. They've been showing him and interviewing him at Disney as late as yesterday afternoon.

OrangeHoof
02-09-2016, 08:32 AM
LOL. The ad on this thread is for a retirement planning company.

pulse
02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
I understand the sentiment of why he would retire. I think some of you are missing the biggest point on why he would not retire, however. What else is he going to do? Work at ESPN or NBC? Play golf for 300 days a year? He was born to play football. If he still feels like he can contribute to a team, who are we to force him into retirement? In retrospect, and again, I do not want to watch a handicapped Peyton struggle like he did in 2015. But if he does heals up, he will get entertained to the idea of playing. Apparently I just won't be quite as shocked as most of you if he doesn't hang it up for another year or two. I would just be surprised if he is in Denver.

OrangeHoof
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
I'd like to see him follow John's footsteps and get into coaching then management. Bill Polian would like him to come home to Tennessee and work with him for the Titans. Nobody wants to see a Favre re-run.

pulse
02-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see him follow John's footsteps and get into coaching then management. Bill Polian would like him to come home to Tennessee and work with him for the Titans. Nobody wants to see a Favre re-run.

A Favre re-run we won't have to endure. If Manning announces retirement, he'll never play again, unlike Favre. The questions remain if he does not retire.

Ravage!!!
02-09-2016, 10:49 AM
I think he's made his decision, but was wise to simply not make an announcement at an emotional time. Think about it for a month. It's a wise piece of advice, and wise to take it. In the end, I think he retires knowing that next season can't end any better.... no matter what.

TXBRONC
02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
I hope the Broncos are the last team Peyton plays for. Going out a champion would obviously be the way to go. Having said that, it's his decision and he's earned the right to do what he wants, even if people disagree with it.

I agree it his decision if he wants to play another season. If he doesn't I just don't think it will be in a Denver uniform.

NightTrainLayne
02-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Archie Manning said emphatically, within 2 hours of the end of the SuperBowl that there was zero chance that Manning would return as a Bronco next year.

He didn't say Manning would retire, but was as confident as can be that Manning would not return to the Broncos. That was not a mistake, or Archie talking out of his ass.

So, I conclude that the most likely scenario is that Manning retires, and rides off into the sunset, but if he decides to play another year, he and his family are already prepared that it won't be with Denver. Of course, this plays into the calculus of returning at all. Starting again with a new team in a new city won't be as attractive. I'm 97% sure he will retire.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Manning is not the same guy, obvious this year. Only thing he has left is his brain and his leadership.

He set a new record sunday. Worst QB rating in the SB ever for a team that won. Not to rag on they guy who just won a SB but....

I think the writing is on the wall and he saw that this season. There is no way Manning can play a full season anymore. His body can not take it.

For those that say you don't mind him back. He was one of the worst QBS in the league last year. And a defense that may not be as dominating next season could mean an ugly season if defense is not making as to win. We won more games by a TD or less then any other team in NFL history.

Our offense is a hot mess. Next year will be different with Clay and Sambrailo back.

A change needs to be made at QB and OL period.

Buff
02-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Archie Manning said emphatically, within 2 hours of the end of the SuperBowl that there was zero chance that Manning would return as a Bronco next year.

He didn't say Manning would retire, but was as confident as can be that Manning would not return to the Broncos. That was not a mistake, or Archie talking out of his ass.

So, I conclude that the most likely scenario is that Manning retired, and rides off into the sunset, but if he decides to play another year, he and his family are already prepared that it won't be with Denver. Of course, this plays into the calculus of returning at all. Starting again with a new team in a new city won't be as attractive. I'm 97% sure he will retire.

I was talking with my dad about that quote last night - while I think most people could reasonably come to the same conclusion, I'm still curious as to how Archie came to that conclusion so emphatically... Did Peyton feel slighted for how he was treated this year? Is there a disconnect between what Peyton thinks he can do and what Elway/Kubiak think he can do? Or did Archie just read between the lines that Peyton's production has fallen so far off that he knows Elway can't/won't pay him to play for another year because of Brock's emergence?

NightTrainLayne
02-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I was talking with my dad about that quote last night - while I think most people could reasonably come to the same conclusion, I'm still curious as to how Archie came to that conclusion so emphatically... Did Peyton feel slighted for how he was treated this year? Is there a disconnect between what Peyton thinks he can do and what Elway/Kubiak think he can do? Or did Archie just read between the lines that Peyton's production has fallen so far off that he knows Elway can't/won't pay him to play for another year because of Brock's emergence?

When I first saw it, I was slightly offended. As though he was condemning the Broncos.

However, as I've mulled it over, I've come to the conclusion that the writing is on the wall to such a degree that the Broncos just can't afford to pay that much for that level of production. I don't think it's a matter of being slighted, or having ill will. It's just pretty obvious to all concerned.

Of course, that's all just speculation on my part.

Bronco4ever
02-09-2016, 11:51 AM
How soon until Peyton is asked to host SNL?

Valar Morghulis
02-09-2016, 03:37 PM

Peyton is also that classy, it would not surprise me if he did not do that out of respect for the Broncos organisation and fans... And just retired.

mouthofsouth
02-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Peyton will be moving his family again soon, because he is either going to be working for the Tennessee Titans or, more likely the Tennessee Vols. That is my belief, a strong belief. I think he would love to go back to Tennessee to live, particularly Knoxville, and bring up his kids around that culture. Tennessee is also close to Virginia, Ashley's roots. Nothing against Colorado. I just do not think he is going to stay there, because I cannot see him doing nothing after he retires from playing. He would die in a few years if he sat down and did nothing. He will be in football somewhere, and if he does not go to work in a front office (probably in Tennessee) it will greatly surprise me.

Ravage!!!
02-09-2016, 06:13 PM
I bet he goes into television before signing somewhere to work in a FO. He'd be great to listen to diagnose and break down plays. They might team him up with Dungy, as that would work better than listening to "whats-his-face" that he's with now (safety from SD and Patriots who is always so attitude).

pulse
02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Peyton will be moving his family again soon, because he is either going to be working for the Tennessee Titans or, more likely the Tennessee Vols. That is my belief, a strong belief. I think he would love to go back to Tennessee to live, particularly Knoxville, and bring up his kids around that culture. Tennessee is also close to Virginia, Ashley's roots. Nothing against Colorado. I just do not think he is going to stay there, because I cannot see him doing nothing after he retires from playing. He would die in a few years if he sat down and did nothing. He will be in football somewhere, and if he does not go to work in a front office (probably in Tennessee) it will greatly surprise me.

No offense, clearly you love the man, but it's going to take more than Manning to save the Titans's franchise. Their owning family is struggling with bad decision after bad decision. I just can't see Peyton ending up there. As far as the University of Tennessee, he already does plenty to represent and support their program. But the incentive to work in their athletic department is just not there. He's worth hundreds of millions, I cannot see him coaching or even taking an administrative role. What would they afford him aside from being a donar and a representative? Makes little sense to me that he would do anything more. Realistically, Peyton continues to take a hands-off supportive approach to his alma mater. If Peyton retires, he'll be highly sought after as a speaker or pulled into broadcasting as a commentator. He is too smart when it comes to Xs and Os. Most likely he becomes a TV personality. I can't say he won't get involved with an NFL franchise eventually, but it will be ownership or as a GM. The man is loaded with endorsements and investment opportunities. He has lots of capital and investors that would favor him. More likely he disappears from any spotlight for a few years and ends up being a handsomely paid advisor for multiple teams and ends up an "on air" personality. He is a communications major, afterall.

Joel
02-09-2016, 08:58 PM
That sounds like a good take to me. Colorado's amazing, but a Gulf Coast native living there is a fish out of water (almost literally, unless mountain ice packs count as water.) Peyton's too passionate and obsessive about football to just walk away from ALL aspects of the game but, much as I'd love to see him stick around to help manage Denvers offense, I'm not sure how well he meshes with where the capable hands of Kubiak and Dennison want to take it, and it's a long way from the Gulf.

I still think he (and they) would've been better of if he'd saved his current coaches jobs by going to Houston as his dad did, when they had EVERYTHING a dynasty needs EXCEPT a franchise QB. But McNair was too committed to Schaub sinking that ship to even make an offer, and the alternative's worked out so amazingly well for my favorite team that I can't be mad my favorite city missed the boat. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manning ride into some perpetually struggling NFL Gulf team and try to do for them what Elway's done for Denver; there are certainly many needy options.

Otherwise, the Tennessee Vols look a FAR better option than the Tennessee Titans will EVER be, because pulse is right on that one: The Adams Family Values that have plagued that team almost from the start are more than player, coach or GM can overcome. It's frankly amazing they managed to win the first two AFL Championships and take the third to DOT, but that's the last time the Adamses LET even the best personnel make them champions.

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 01:57 AM
They're going to be minority owners of the Grizzlies (Ashley already is). He might be involved with the Titans, eventually. Ownership wants him.

They'll have homes in both locales and New Orleans. I'm relatively sure they already do. They're rich bitch.

dogfish
02-10-2016, 03:13 AM
They're going to be minority owners of the Grizzlies (Ashley already is). He might be involved with the Titans, eventually. Ownership wants him.

They'll have homes in both locales and New Orleans. I'm relatively sure they already do. They're rich bitch.

i expect nothing less than manning being part of an NFL ownership group at some point. . . IMO, no way the grizzlies are the extent of his ambition. . . and given the cross-ownership rules, i don't think it's coincidental that memphis is in his wife's name. . .

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 03:31 AM
i expect nothing less than manning being part of an NFL ownership group at some point. . . IMO, no way the grizzlies are the extent of his ambition. . . and given the cross-ownership rules, i don't think it's coincidental that memphis is in his wife's name. . .

I don't think they'd frown on Memphis and Nashville in the same ownership grouping if they allow Stan to essentially pawn off his ownership to token owner Josh in Denver vs. L.A./St. Louis. He's definitely going ownership/admin not coach/AD.

dogfish
02-10-2016, 03:35 AM
He's definitely going ownership/admin not coach/AD.

no question, IMO. . . there just isn't a coaching position with a high enough pay grade. . .

Cugel
02-10-2016, 05:20 AM
I understand the sentiment of why he would retire. I think some of you are missing the biggest point on why he would not retire, however. What else is he going to do? Work at ESPN or NBC? Play golf for 300 days a year? He was born to play football. If he still feels like he can contribute to a team, who are we to force him into retirement? In retrospect, and again, I do not want to watch a handicapped Peyton struggle like he did in 2015. But if he does heals up, he will get entertained to the idea of playing. Apparently I just won't be quite as shocked as most of you if he doesn't hang it up for another year or two. I would just be surprised if he is in Denver.

I thought he could easily play until he's 40 or 41 prior to last season - but only IF he could play well in the Kubiak offense. But, the Broncos just managed to win the SB with the worst SB winning offense in NFL history. And it can't have been any fun for Peyton.

He was hurt most of last season and missed 7 games. He played horribly at times. The OL was terrible and he took a savage beating. The Broncos lost 3 out of his five offensive weapons from 2013 - (Welker, Julius Thomas, and Moreno -who caught 60 balls in 2013). They failed to replace any of that talent. None of the current Broncos outside of D.T. (who had a horrible SB with 1 catch for 8 yards and failed to get open), and Sanders worries defenses at all. The TEs generally can be covered by LBs and Vernon Davis was a flop. Cody Latimer was supposed to emerge as a legitimate threat, but is now a special teams player.

Peyton just doesn't fit this offense. They took away his play making ability, and the line still can't protect him (he was sacked 5 times in the SB, had a forced fumble and a pick - it would have been a terrible day if they'd lost).

For Peyton to be successful he needs a great OL that can protect him and give him time to throw and a clean pocket, and a consistent running game. He doesn't have that in Denver.

So, he'd have to go elsewhere. But the places where they already have a really good offense in place, but no QB are severely limited. I can't think of any teams right off the bat that need a 1 year QB rental, but have all the pieces in place for Peyton to step into.

The man has $90 M net worth, and makes $6 M a year from endorsements. He could very well do commentary - he'd be hired by probably any of the networks to do Sunday game commentary. He'd be good at it too.

Ultimately, I'll be surprised but not shocked if he wants to play another season. Sometimes though players make ridiculous decisions to try and keep playing. Remember Jerry Rice coming to Denver at 42 years old, and not even making the team?

Joel
02-10-2016, 05:54 AM
no question, IMO. . . there just isn't a coaching position with a high enough pay grade. . .
I sincerely doubt that's still an issue; the number I saw on his net worth was $100 million, and that was BEFORE the season where he won another SB. Plus his dad was a starting NFL QB a lot of seasons, too, so if Peyton somehow manages to blow through over a dozen seasons of Pro Bowl salary, endorsement cash and his NFL pension, he's always got his inheritance to fall back on in the end. Or maybe his two-time SB Champ brother can give him a room in the garage.

Just MHO, but I think the issue'll be that Peyton's too football-addicted and obsessive to take a job even as far from the field and players as a commentators booth. He can't PLAY the game anymore, but also knows that doesn't mean he can't be PART of it: It just changes the available roles, but the depth of his football knowledge and breadth of his football vision is such that there are plenty of non-playing team roles available, and many eager suitors. The question's which one he wants.

Please, God, NOT the Titans: I couldn't bear to see him go through that (and not just because the Adamses would eventually ignominiously fire him for their gaffes.)

TXBRONC
02-10-2016, 07:50 AM

So, I conclude that the most likely scenario is that Manning retires, and rides off into the sunset, but if he decides to play another year, he and his family are already prepared that it won't be with Denver. Of course, this plays into the calculus of returning at all. Starting again with a new team in a new city won't be as attractive. I'm 97% sure he will retire.

I saw the interview with Archie and that caught my attention. While he didn't say Peyton wouldn't retire his body language seemed indicate he would. That is the way I perceived it anyway.

Slick
02-10-2016, 09:24 AM
He's done. He's just way too classy to make any announcement right now. He doesn't want the spotlight on him or to take the shine off of the party and celebration of a team that carried him to another title.

Davii
02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
He's done. He's just way too classy to make any announcement right now. He doesn't want the spotlight on him or to take the shine off of the party and celebration of a team that carried him to another title.

Exactly. Peyton did not want the focus to be on him, his career being over, etc. He knows he's done, but his team, his teammates, and our city deserve the opportunity to enjoy the Super Bowl trophy without everyone focusing on the end of a legend's career. I respect him even more for the way in which he's handled this all. Not just the retirement, but the benching, helping Oz, offering advice to the coaches, etc. Manning is a true professional in every sense, and he proved it through adversity throughout this entire season.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

BroncoWave
02-10-2016, 09:47 AM
They asked Elway during his closing press conference yesterday if he would take Manning back as a Bronco next year. He did a pretty good job sidestepping the question, only saying the decision to return is totally up to Peyton and he will give him all the time he needs. He stopped there and never said what he would in turn do if Peyton told him he wants to play again. Not that the answer to that question wasn't already obvious, but Elway's half-answer there even more confirms it. Just can't afford to pay 2 QBs the type of money we'd have to pay Peyton and Brock next year. And I just can't imagine Peyton would entertain the idea of starting all over somewhere else. It would just be totally shocking if he decided to come back for another year.

TXBRONC
02-10-2016, 01:18 PM
They asked Elway during his closing press conference yesterday if he would take Manning back as a Bronco next year. He did a pretty good job sidestepping the question, only saying the decision to return is totally up to Peyton and he will give him all the time he needs. He stopped there and never said what he would in turn do if Peyton told him he wants to play again. Not that the answer to that question wasn't already obvious, but Elway's half-answer there even more confirms it. Just can't afford to pay 2 QBs the type of money we'd have to pay Peyton and Brock next year. And I just can't imagine Peyton would entertain the idea of starting all over somewhere else. It would just be totally shocking if he decided to come back for another year.

Elway didn't make his retirement announcement until about a month after the Super Bowl iirc.

Davii
02-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Elway didn't make his retirement announcement until about a month after the Super Bowl iirc.

I think that's true, but it was also known to members of the organization and basically everyone else when he didn the victory laps at Mile High, etc.

Cugel
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Elway can force Peyton to retire or go elsewhere if he insists on re-negotiating Peyton's salary down to something appropriate for a backup QB or simply tells Peyton that Brock Osweiler is going to be the starter in training camp.

But, he won't have to do this, he'll do it himself. This was a win by the defense and Peyton and the offense were just along for the ride. That's not very fun. He likes the ring, but this had to have been his least fun season ever.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I bet he goes into television before signing somewhere to work in a FO. He'd be great to listen to diagnose and break down plays. They might team him up with Dungy, as that would work better than listening to "whats-his-face" that he's with now (safety from SD and Patriots who is always so attitude).

He'd be great in the booth or doing color commentary for games. He'd be a high profile Joe Morgan.

pulse
02-10-2016, 05:32 PM
What a douchebag....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-macaray/two-words-if-manning-deci_b_9184498.html

The drivel about Peyton being "arrogant" for forgoing the draft his senior year was hilarious. This guy has to be a Patriots fan. His butthurt is strong.

BroncoJoe
02-10-2016, 05:40 PM
What a douchebag....

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/two-words-if-manning-deci_b_9184498.html

Pathetic. Peyton is not anything he says he is. What a loser.

tomjonesrocks
02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
What a douchebag.... http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/two-words-if-manning-deci_b_9184498.html

WTF is that heap of shit? What did I just read.

That 3 minutes of gone forever.

MOtorboat
02-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Charles Woodson earned that Heisman. Clearly, that guy was not watching college football at the time.

Valar Morghulis
02-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Charles Woodson earned that Heisman. Clearly, that guy was not watching college football at the time.

No he didn't, he only got it because they were annoyed by mannings sense of entitlement

BroncoWave
02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
No he didn't, he only got it because they were annoyed by mannings sense of entitlement

He just got the heisman cuz he's black.

#whitelivesmatter

Valar Morghulis
02-10-2016, 06:00 PM
He just got the heisman cuz he's black. #whitelivesmatter

Racist

pulse
02-10-2016, 06:09 PM

He just got the heisman cuz he's black.

#whitelivesmatter

tubby
02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Back-to-back Super Bowls, duh. Just like we would have won 3 if Elway came back.

Joel
02-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Yup, and in that context Archies comment looks more like a heads up to Elway so he can start managing the roster and cap with the knowledge Manning's no longer part of either. We can just sit back and revel in the win until Opening Day, but our GM must start planning for it NOW.

Joel
02-10-2016, 11:38 PM
What a douchebag....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-macaray/two-words-if-manning-deci_b_9184498.html

The drivel about Peyton being "arrogant" for forgoing the draft his senior year was hilarious. This guy has to be a Patriots fan. His butthurt is strong.
Only thing that makes sense. If he really meant exactly what he said, he must hate Elways guts, too: He did the same thing to Indy that Eli did to SD, and it wasn't an empty threat since he reminded them he had a contract to pitch for the Yankees just waiting for him if they called his "bluff." Probably only got into Stanford because his dad was the coach. *nods knowingly*

I mean, he's got a point that there may be a combination of social and literal Darwinism at work in the NFL: I'm not sure there have ever been as many active players whose fathers were also NFL starters. But, c'mon: It's ATHLETICS; doesn't it make sense that the most physically gifted people tend to sire the most physically gifted children? And yeah, their fathers' NFL starter savings make them far more likely to get into college than be killed in a driveby before they finish HS.

None of that makes them bad people though, and they're still subject to the genetic lotterys downsides: After Peyton watched the same congenital progressive spinal narrowing that afflicts him abort Coopers athletic career before he even finished HS, I doubt any Manning feels "entitled." At the risk of venturing into P&R territory, "entitlement" has become a funny word, a Rorschach test for how each person feels about not just the word itself, but in different contexts:

Virtually EVERYONE both loves AND hates entitlements; whether a given person loves or hates a given entitlement depends, not on how they feel about entitlements generally, but WHICH entitlement is being discussed. It's like that old Yes, Minister line about conjugating irregular verbs: I "was indiscreet," you "leaked," and he "was indicted under the Official Secrets Act."

So yeah, I figure the guy gives Brady a pass for marrying a supermodel, endorsing Uggs and having perfectly coifed hair, not because he was a 6th round pick with parents no one ever heard of, but because he's a Cheatriot. If we want to talk entitlement, Boston's the birthplace of US aristocracy.

Northman
02-11-2016, 06:53 AM
What a douchebag....

Terrible article, im surprised he didnt take a shot at Elway while he was at it. lol

And Iverson? Great athlete and ball player but hardly a icon of class off the court.