PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos 2016 Free Agents

Pages : [1] 2

Ziggy
02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
It's been talked about throughout different threads, but I thought I'd create one for just Broncos free agents.

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Miller, Bru, one of Malik or Danny, Brock, Bolden, CJ, B Marsh... realistic to sign all these guys or just a pipe dream? I'd be satisfied if Elway could retain that group.

MileHighCrew
02-08-2016, 04:00 PM
That is one hell of a group of guys about to get paid.

Valar Morghulis
02-08-2016, 04:02 PM
UFA's- Von Miller
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Brock Osweiler
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood

RFA- CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
ERFA- Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis

I would love to keep this lot. But as long as we keep von, b marsh, and McManus, I can deal with losing the rest.

Would love Malik, Trev, cj and Brutton, but people want paid lol

Slick
02-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Pay the guys who won the game, not the ones who went 1-13 on third down.

Nomad
02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Pay the guys who won the game, not the ones who went 1-13 on third down.

Agreed! Did McManus get a contract? Gotta keep him around.

VonDoom
02-08-2016, 04:25 PM
It's been talked about throughout different threads, but I thought I'd create one for just Broncos free agents.

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

Ah, the off season. Lots of decisions to make, as we know. For the RFA's, I assume CJ and Marshall will both be back - I find any other scenario implausible. Same with the EFRA - anyone we want back will be back, and cheap. That's how these things go. Everyone on that list except Brenner, I would imagine.

We all know the deal for the UFA's. Miller is priority one, and he'll most likely be tagged and then hopefully able to work something out long term. They can actually lower his cap hit this year depending on how it's structured. That could be important. I can't see us keeping both Jackson and Trevathan, and maybe neither of them, since they'll both get paid. Osweiler is the biggest question mark, since we really have no comparable contracts.

I would add that there are a few guys who are not FA that will have to be dealt with in some fashion, depending on how we want to spend our money. Manning (duh!), though I imagine he retires. Clady, who may restructure. Ware, who has a large cap hit next year. I used to think he was gone, but I'm not so sure anymore. Talib's cap hit also goes up this year, and I can't really see cutting him, though they might "extend" him if they think that can free up some money.

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Here so my take on what I think happens. Honestly I think some guys may take slightly reduced to stay on with this defense. Most contracts will be team friendly.

UFA's-
Von Miller Franchise tag and then mega contract Suh type money
Evan Mathis gone
Antonio Smith vet min contract
Vernon Davis gone
David Bruton back on team friendly deal $2-3M a year
Malik Jackson gone
Danny Trevathan back on a team $4-5M a year is top 10 money friendly deal
Andre Caldwell gone
Ryan Harris gone
Brock Osweiler gets Manning's contract $15M a year
Ronnie Hillman gone
Omar Bolden resigned on a team friendly deal $1.5-2M
Jordan Norwood gone
Tyler Polumbus gone
Kyle Williams gone
Shiloh Keo resigned vet min

RFA-
CJ Anderson 1st round tender
Brandon Marshall 2 round tender
Lerentee McCray gone unless they lose another ILB
Josh Bush gone

ERFA-
Brandon McManus resigned to new contract $1.5M a year
Todd Davis kept with right to match
Bennie Fowler kept with right to match
Matt Paradis resigned to new contract
Sam Brenner gone

$3.5M roller to 2016, new available cap money.

Manning gone with a $2.5million cap hit and saves $17.5M, roll $15M into Brock and it's equal with cap hit.

Ware will prob be gone with Ray and Barrett available and to save them $10M.

Guessing a couple Million saving with Clady adjusting contract.

Guessed number based on 2016 actual salaries for starters in their positions.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2016, 04:38 PM
It's truly shocking what a non-factor DT was these playoffs. Looking at the stats - it's mind blowing. I was almost as productive sitting on my couch at home.

Hate to say it as I strongly advocated his getting paid - but experiencing some buyer's remorse there with this lot needing their money.

VonDoom
02-08-2016, 04:46 PM
It's truly shocking what a non-factor DT was these playoffs. Looking at the stats - it's mind blowing. I was almost as productive sitting on my couch at home.

Hate to say it as I strongly advocated his getting paid - but experiencing some buyer's remorse there with this lot needing their money.

Yeah, I wanted him to get that big contract too, but he disappeared down the stretch. If he had played under the tag this year, I'd think he was gone next year. Not happening now, though, so hopefully he works with a jugs machine in the off season and comes back ready to go.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I wanted him to get that big contract too, but he disappeared down the stretch. If he had played under the tag this year, I'd think he was gone next year. Not happening now, though, so hopefully he works with a jugs machine in the off season and comes back ready to go.

1 catch for 8 yards last night. Most memorable moment was him getting destroyed by Kuechly (sp)

20 yards vs the Pats and 40 vs the Steelers. Miserable.

chazoe60
02-08-2016, 04:58 PM
I hope we resign Danny T. I freaking love that guy.

LawDog
02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I think NT218 has it pretty much spot on. Although I would like to see Malik stay, and I think Brock's number is significantly lower with a signing bonus spread over the term and incentive heavy.

Since Ware's contract was front-loaded to an extent and the way he has performed, I can't see Elway letting him go just to try and save the $. Although, Ware has already earned the guaranteed money on his 3yr deal, so maybe they re-work something for the last year given the time he missed due to injury. Keeping as nasty a D as possible for the 1st year of the Brock era seems like a great idea to me.

Joel
02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Guys I DEFINITELY want:

UFA
Omar Bolden, David Bruton, Von Miller (obviously,) Jordan Norwood, Brock Osweiler

RFA-
CJ Anderson, Brandon Marshall

ERFA
Bennie Fowler, Brandon McManus, Matt Paradis

Negotiable guys I'd LIKE (i.e. sign the above, budget for draft picks and new FAs, then sign these:)

UFA
Andre Caldwell, Vernon Davis, Ryan Harris, Shiloh Keo, Antonio Smith

RFA
Lerentee McCray, Josh Bush

ERFA-
Todd Davis

Guys I'd help PACK:

Ronnie Hillman, Tyler Polumbus, Kyle Williams, Sam Brenner

Nothing against Polumbus (who's outplayed Schofield,) Williams or Brenner, but we need the cash for better players.

Guys I'd LOVE to keep but doubt we can afford:

Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan

Just my take; the whole thing's highly speculative till we know what Manning, Ware, Daniels and Clady are doing, because those 4 eat $45 million in cap right now.

underrated29
02-08-2016, 05:42 PM

UFA's-
Von Miller- KEEP
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton - KEEP
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris - KEEP
Brock Osweiler - KEEP
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden- KEEP
Jordan Norwood - KEEP (but we are going to draft his replacement this year guaranteed!)
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson- KEEP
Brandon Marshall - KEEP
Lerentee McCray - KEEP (I really like this guy)
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus - KEEP
Todd Davis -KEEP (likely New starter if we dont draft or FA Trevs replacement)
Bennie Fowler- KEEP
Matt Paradis- KEEP
Sam Brenner

Those are my thoughts on who we keep and who we dont.

underrated29
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
They seem to think so Joel. I do not know for sure but I know that the FO is pretty high on the guy. He has played a lot for us too the past couple of years. Maybe he can add a few more pounds of strength and not lose anything.

VonDoom
02-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Those are my thoughts on who we keep and who we dont.

I agree on Todd Davis being the starter if Trev leaves. I think they think they can do for Davis what they did for both Trevathan and Marshall - take them from quality ST and backup to real good ILB

Joel
02-08-2016, 07:35 PM
They seem to think so Joel. I do not know for sure but I know that the FO is pretty high on the guy. He has played a lot for us too the past couple of years. Maybe he can add a few more pounds of strength and not lose anything.
Yeah, I thought twice about sending that as a question, but I've been up since before the game, so I'd already hit enter by then.

Thanks for the response; I still have my doubts about a 230 lb. LB (even a coverage LB, though Arizona has a converted safety starting there at 220.)

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I thought twice about sending that as a question, but I've been up since before the game, so I'd already hit enter by then.

Thanks for the response; I still have my doubts about a 230 lb. LB (even a coverage LB, though Arizona has a converted safety starting there at 220.)

I think our guys now are tweeners for your comparison both undersized.

Brian urlacher was a converted safety too

SR
02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm a little surprised at how many are willing to let Trevathan walk. Granted, if he did he would probably end up an unknown somewhere like Wesley Woodyard, but he's a major cog in the defense for Denver. Replacing him won't be as easy as some have suggested IMO.

VonDoom
02-08-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm a little surprised at how many are willing to let Trevathan walk. Granted, if he did he would probably end up an unknown somewhere like Wesley Woodyard, but he's a major cog in the defense for Denver. Replacing him won't be as easy as some have suggested IMO.

I wish he could stay - I wish they all could stay. I just think there's a good chance that we have some kind of secret linebacker machine somewhere. Trevathan himself came out of nowhere to be a star a couple of years ago. When he got hurt, we started using Marshall more, and I remember thinking, "He'll be okay, but he's no Trevathan." If anything, he's even better, though I love them both. I just think Davis might be that next guy - I know they're high on him, and if they have to make hard choices, I think they might be willing to give him a shot.

I'm not sure who would replace Jackson at this point - he might not be on the roster right now.

broncohead
02-08-2016, 10:13 PM

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

I'd like to see Von (obviously), CJ, Marshall, and Brock as our top priorities. Depending on the contract Trevathan and Jackson are looking for it would be nice to keep both but I prefer to keep Jackson. Seems to be harder to find a good 3-4 DE. Also personally I think Vernon Davis hasn't had enough time in the offense to be productive especially with our issues with throwing the ball as a unit. I would like to see what he can do with a full off season to actually learn the playbook.

Buff
02-08-2016, 10:14 PM
From the unrestricted guys, I expect us to sign Miller & Osweiler and let basically everybody else walk.

McManus obviously isn't going anywhere, and I think we'll be able to keep CJ Anderson for fairly cheap. We better re-sign Bennie MF'n Fowler!

underrated29
02-08-2016, 10:30 PM

He has already linked himself to the Bears. I don't want him to leave, I love him. Think he is an awesome player and much better than woody. Just doubt he stays.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-08-2016, 10:33 PM
I would love to keep both our inside backers Bruton may resign fairly cheap he just feels like he wants to be a Bronco his whole career, Bolden we should keep too as he has value at 3 positions. CJ isnt going anywhere nor is Brock or Von, Harris would be a good one to re sign as our swing tackle as Clady and Sambrilo will be back and maybe we move Schofield to guard. Jackson and some of the wr will be replaced in the draft this year as it seems deep with d line and wr.

Joel
02-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Can't speak for others, but I'm far less "willing" than "resigned." Maybe Elway will surprise me and we keep everyone else AND Trevathan, maybe even Jackson,too; I dunno, think they'll raise the cap to an even $200 mil next year? Otherwise (again, speaking only for my own expectations) it feels like we always had to give up one DE and one ILB; we re-signed Wolfe and Marshalls an RFA, so that makes UFAs Jackson and Trevathan the odd men out.

Especially after winning a SB; tight as it was till the final 5:00, if Trevathan doesn't fall on that Int Ward fumbled inside our 10, that could've been game. Gotta thank that'll drive up the price that was already gonna be high for a key starter on a Championship team. Nice problem to have, but we've got many of them.

Joel
02-08-2016, 10:44 PM
From the unrestricted guys, I expect us to sign Miller & Osweiler and let basically everybody else walk.

McManus obviously isn't going anywhere, and I think we'll be able to keep CJ Anderson for fairly cheap. We better re-sign Bennie MF'n Fowler!
I gotta think at LEAST one of Bruton and Bolden stay given how huge they've consistently been on STs, plus what BroncoBuckeye said about safety depth. When Ward was out Bruton came up BIG early this year (we probably don't beat KC the first time without him, and then where would we be: Playing the AFCCG in Boston.) Bolden's been a great kick returner, too; was it the Pitt playoff where he had a big return at a key moment? Speaking of which:

Jordan Norwood has GOT to stay on this team. His fight all the way through 2014 camp for the final spot was the feel-good story of preseason, and tearing his ACL like, the next DAY, was the preseason heartbreaker. Then he miss that whole season, comes back, makes the team again, helps Manning back, and caps it with the longest punt return in SB history, nearly scoring (and still setting up a FG.) Plus he makes catches. Unless he wants like $3 mil/yr, keep him.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2016, 10:45 PM
He has already linked himself to the Bears. I don't want him to leave, I love him. Think he is an awesome player and much better than woody. Just doubt he stays.

I forgot about that. I think flirting with Fox is a great way to ensure JFE won't even talk to his agent.

Dapper Dan
02-08-2016, 11:45 PM
The way I see it:

Very Expensive (over 10 mill per)
Von Miller - close to 20
Brock Osweiler - roughly 12

Expensive (6-9 mill per)
Danny Trevathan - Low end, 6 or 7
Brandon Marshall - On the fringe, 5 or 6

Middle of the road (3-5 mill per)
I think all 3 are on the high end at 4 or 5
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
CJ Anderson

Fairly cheap (under 3 mill per)
Vernon Davis - High end, about 3, someone might overpay
David Bruton - High end, about 3, worth it
Andre Caldwell - Roughly 1.5
Ronnie Hillman - Maybe high end, around 2.5
Brandon McManus - High end, high pay for a kicker, roughly 3
Matt Paradis - Solid center, I hope we resign
Bennie Folwer - Solid role player, I want
Jordan Norwood - Solid player, good return man
Omar Bolden - Good depth, special teams player
Ryan Harris - Good depth
Tyler Polumbus - Good depth
Shiloh Keo - Good depth at a position that needed it

Role players that would be affordable. I hope we keep most of them. They're replacements wouldn't cost much more or less.
Kyle Williams (who)
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush
Todd Davis
Sam Brenner

Buff
02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
I gotta think at LEAST one of Bruton and Bolden stay given how huge they've consistently been on STs, plus what BroncoBuckeye said about safety depth. When Ward was out Bruton came up BIG early this year (we probably don't beat KC the first time without him, and then where would we be: Playing the AFCCG in Boston.) Bolden's been a great kick returner, too; was it the Pitt playoff where he had a big return at a key moment? Speaking of which:

Jordan Norwood has GOT to stay on this team. His fight all the way through 2014 camp for the final spot was the feel-good story of preseason, and tearing his ACL like, the next DAY, was the preseason heartbreaker. Then he miss that whole season, comes back, makes the team again, helps Manning back, and caps it with the longest punt return in SB history, nearly scoring (and still setting up a FG.) Plus he makes catches. Unless he wants like $3 mil/yr, keep him.

Bolden has injury problems, but has flashed ability, so maybe he re-signs. Bruton is a great player and a great dude, but aging special teamers' jobs are never secure.

Jordan Norwoods are a dime a dozen, though he has performed admirably down the stretch, so maybe he can have Bubba Caldwell's spot.

pnbronco
02-09-2016, 12:12 AM
OK wise ones....I know that Vasquez has another year on his contract...but I heard speculation on the radio that he could be cut and save some money.... Is this true???? Thoughts????

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-09-2016, 12:49 AM

We are not likely to find anyone in the draft or FA with the athleticism of Danny T. I really hope we can keep him. Unfortunately someone will probably pay him double what we can.
His value to this team is close to Malik's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-09-2016, 12:51 AM
I think our guys now are tweeners for your comparison both undersized.

Brian urlacher was a converted safety too

Marshall and Danny T? They're both 240-245.

Dapper Dan
02-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Since we only have success with older QBs (Morton/Elway/Manning) should Matt Hasselbeck be our new quarterback? He will be 41 this year. He's from Boulder. He would break Manning's record of the oldest QB to win a Super Bowl, who broke Elway's.

Joel
02-09-2016, 01:02 AM
OK wise ones....I know that Vasquez has another year on his contract...but I heard speculation on the radio that he could be cut and save some money.... Is this true???? Thoughts????
He's the ONLY solid starting lineman we KNOW we have. With a QB who's got all of six starts. I mean, OK, sure, Spotrac says cutting him would save $5½ mil, but where are we going to find an equal or better RG for <$5½ mil? Just give him a five year extension that spreads the pain, reduces this years, and let's him retire a Champion Bronco just before he hits 34.

Joel
02-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Marshall and Danny T? They're both 240-245.
Yeah, I've always wanted 5-10 lb. more for 4-3 Mikes, but for 3-4 ILBs that's not bad; gives them the speed they need, and they won't get run over much since they'll be playing a lot of zone and just occasionally helping out the OLBs on blitzes or finishing runs. I mean, safeties CAN do that, but wasn't Urlacher converted in college? NFL.com lists him at 258; not exactly safety weight.

Yashahla17
02-09-2016, 01:12 AM

Nothing screams disaster like cutting one of if not your best linemen to save money you dont need to save, who is the radio going to bring in to replace him? If it's somebody better then they will be more expensive then you're not saving money.

Joel
02-09-2016, 01:20 AM
Bolden has injury problems, but has flashed ability, so maybe he re-signs. Bruton is a great player and a great dude, but aging special teamers' jobs are never secure.
Bruton's not THAT old; he doesn't turn 30 till 2017. BOTH looked good here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000575544/Can-t-Miss-Play-Broncos-Omar-Bolden-83-yard-punt-return-TD). That's Bruton making the key block on McAfee that gets Bolden to the end zone.

Jordan Norwoods are a dime a dozen, though he has performed admirably down the stretch, so maybe he can have Bubba Caldwell's spot.
If they were really a dime a dozen we wouldn't have looked so long and hard for just ONE decent returner that we wound up risking far more critical guys like Welker and Sanders on it. Remember when we signed Holliday off the Texans waiver wire because Cosby was so awful? If it comes to a choice, it'd be hard since I've always liked Caldwell and thought him underrated because underused (had a NICE sideline grab 'n dab on that opening drive that BLAZED before Hillman entered.)

Norwood's a better returner though, and maybe that's decisive, especially if we let Bolden walk.

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 09:42 AM
People are focusing way too much on Marshall. He is an RFA - he will be tendered an offer by us, maybe a first round tender, and he'll make whatever that is ($3.5-4 million?). If another team comes sniffing around, we might have to extend him, but that rarely happens. I'm much more sure of him being a Bronco for relatively little money next year than I am about any of the other guys being talked about.

Buff
02-09-2016, 10:07 AM
People are focusing way too much on Marshall. He is an RFA - he will be tendered an offer by us, maybe a first round tender, and he'll make whatever that is ($3.5-4 million?). If another team comes sniffing around, we might have to extend him, but that rarely happens. I'm much more sure of him being a Bronco for relatively little money next year than I am about any of the other guys being talked about.

There is zero chance we extend him a first round tender. He has a significant medical red flag because of his foot which will also depress his value a bit. With he and Trevathan's injury history, it wouldn't surprise me if we let them both walk. It also wouldn't surprise me if we kept Marshall for fairly cheap.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 10:12 AM

He missed several game in beginning of season. Our backups stepped up well. I would love for him to stay.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I want to see what Anunike can do next season. He looked good in preseason last year. He will be given shot to start if Malik is gone.

underrated29
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
There is zero chance we extend him a first round tender. He has a significant medical red flag because of his foot which will also depress his value a bit. With he and Trevathan's injury history, it wouldn't surprise me if we let them both walk. It also wouldn't surprise me if we kept Marshall for fairly cheap.

I disagree. I bet we do give him a first rd tender. Second at the absolute very very least! He is key to how we run our scheme and is much more valuable to us than trev. Marshall is not going anywhere!

Pola, yes, I had suggested that Vazquez would be cut a long while back. I got flamed for it too. I still think we save the money and put schofield at guard, initially anyway.

Buff
02-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I disagree. I bet we do give him a first rd tender. Second at the absolute very very least! He is key to how we run our scheme and is much more valuable to us than trev. Marshall is not going anywhere!

Pola, yes, I had suggested that Vazquez would be cut a long while back. I got flamed for it too. I still think we save the money and put schofield at guard, initially anyway.

Yeah, I guess the 1st round tender salary level isn't as egregious as I thought - only $3.1 mil, so it's possible. 2nd seems more likely though. Wouldn't surprise me if they threw his original round tender at him though (5th) given the screws in his foot.

underrated29
02-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I guess the 1st round tender salary level isn't as egregious as I thought - only $3.1 mil, so it's possible. 2nd seems more likely though. Wouldn't surprise me if they threw his original round tender at him though (5th) given the screws in his foot.

I think we at one time tendered Tony Carter as a 4th...No way in my mind Marshall is anything near that. I think the foot will be fine, he played though the broken screws this year, but you may be right. Injuries are always a concern. I believe he is high priority for us to want to keep.
-------------------------------------------------------------

With Ware wanting to stay (only way I see it is if he cuts his salary in half) Vaz may just be the next guy on the list to get axed. We are going to need money and we are now running short on it (with the anticipation that manning, ware, clady, colquit were gone)....If Clady and Ware can reduce their salaries by close to 6 mil each- brock gets 15 (peytons originalhit) we would have to cut someone somewhere to bring back our other guys, let alone fill out a roster.

VonDoom
02-09-2016, 12:16 PM

That was my original reasoning for the first round tender. It doesn't cost us much, keeps him around for another year at that low salary and buys time to make plans going forward. I love Marshall and they need him right now, especially if Trev walks. Worry about how to handle him long term after this next year.

Buff
02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I wonder if/where Hillman plays next year. I'm not sure if he does anything well enough to earn a roster spot with a team who didn't burn a draft pick on him. He'll probably catch on as a 3rd down RB somewhere since he can do everything reasonably well, but nothing spectacularly.

underrated29
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
JOhn fox is the guy who wanted to draft him. Maybe there.

NightTerror218
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
I wonder if/where Hillman plays next year. I'm not sure if he does anything well enough to earn a roster spot with a team who didn't burn a draft pick on him. He'll probably catch on as a 3rd down RB somewhere since he can do everything reasonably well, but nothing spectacularly.

I think Bibbs will take his roster spot as change of pace back. Still need a 3rd since juwan may not stick around and I bet we pick up a full back. Juwan had chances but just did not take advantage when CJ was banged up.

pnbronco
02-11-2016, 04:46 PM

I knew I had heard it and read it....UR you know I really like you, but if Louis gets cut I'm going to have to hunt you down. So is there a date to save money if they cut him?

Joel
02-12-2016, 01:50 AM
I believe Marshall had his screws removed at the end of the regular season. Whether he did or not, he started every game of the playoffs and performed well. Also: 230 lb. backup ILBs. Given how long and hard we struggled to find a legit starting MLB in our 4-3, I'd be stunned if we let Marshall walk when simply tendering an offer's enough to lock him in for at least another year. The question in my mind is what we'll do in 2017; we have a LOT of key guys up then, too.

Dapper Dan
02-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Quotes via @NickiJhabvala on Twitter

"In talking to my agent, I got a pretty good idea of what my worth is. But I would like to see - because you never know - just to see the numbers. But if Denver came with quality numbers close to what we feel I deserve, then I would stay." - Malik Jackson

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but he said "close" to what he thinks he deserves. Does that mean he would take a few bucks less to stay home?

I thought this one was pretty funny. Malik, on why he threw the TD into the stands, "I don't know how to act when I get touchdowns."

DenBronx
02-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Why in the hell wasn't McManus signed to a long term deal earlier this season? When he won the job that's when we should have given him an extension.

As for Malik, he seems to be wanting way more than we can afford. I'd rather have both Danny T and B Marsh over one Malik. Franchise Von if needed.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 12:35 AM
Why in the hell wasn't McManus signed to a long term deal earlier this season? When he won the job that's when we should have given him an extension.

As for Malik, he seems to be wanting way more than we can afford. I'd rather have both Danny T and B Marsh over one Malik. Franchise Von if needed.

I don't know, but McManus is an ERFA. Whatever that is.

Maybe they didn't want him to be lazy with a new contract.

Joel
02-16-2016, 01:02 AM
I don't know, but McManus is an ERFA. Whatever that is.
Doesn't it mean we have the right to match any offer as well as getting a draft pick if we decline to do so? If so, the new PAT rules showing up a lot of bad kickers, and McManus' PERFECT postseason breaking records, ensures we'll have a few offers to match. McManus averaged >11 pts/gm while our D held the #4, #3 and #1 scoring offenses to <15: We could've left our offense at home and still come within a FG of winning every game.

SR
02-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Doesn't it mean we have the right to match any offer as well as getting a draft pick if we decline to do so?

You tell us.

BroncoWave
02-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Maybe they didn't want him to be lazy with a new contract.

You mean Colquitt 2.0? :D

TXBRONC
02-16-2016, 08:07 AM
I agree on Todd Davis being the starter if Trev leaves. I think they think they can do for Davis what they did for both Trevathan and Marshall - take them from quality ST and backup to real good ILB

At the beginning of preseason last year it was said that the Broncos felt that Davis and Nelson could be starters. I don't know of any other team that has a quartet of back up linebackers all of whom could start for a lot of other teams.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 08:12 AM
You mean Colquitt 2.0? :D

More like DT 3.0 or Manning 4.0. Or soon to be Wolfe and Von. Or Clady if he actually stayed on the field long enough.

DenBronx
02-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Looking back I remember Elway was borderline considering trading a linebacker or two to the Texans. I am so glad this trade never happened, even if it means we get nothing in return. All of our linebackers played huge roles in winning a championship this year.

If anything we might get some comp picks next year if we lose more than we resign in FA.

Slick
02-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Oh my.

slim
02-16-2016, 09:30 AM
What the...

BroncoJoe
02-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Uh.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Quickest ban ever? Rip.

BroncoJoe
02-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Quickest ban ever? Rip.

That's got to be a record.

Northman
02-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Holy shit........

VonDoom
02-16-2016, 09:54 AM
What just happened here?

shank
02-16-2016, 09:58 AM
That was a real hoot.

Northman
02-16-2016, 09:59 AM
What just happened here?

Sounds like the wife or someone close to her is not real happy at the moment.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Cleanup on aisle 5...

NightTerror218
02-16-2016, 10:13 AM
And that just happened

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
So how about that weather?

Slick
02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
So how about that weather?

The "weather" is full of shit.

TXBRONC
02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Was that Yash? Talk about being full of poo.

TXBRONC
02-16-2016, 10:41 AM
That's got to be a record.

I never seen anyone get banned that fast.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Was that Yash? Talk about being full of poo.

Didn't have the telltale broken English/missing punctuation that was Yash's signature.

Can you sue for defamation based on a message board post?

Valar Morghulis
02-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Is lol an appropriate response?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Is lol an appropriate response?

Yes, yes it is.

I was also thinking, "hey-oh!!"

BroncoWave
02-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Anxiously awaiting the story behind this...

NightTerror218
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Has there been a SR sighting since?

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised the mods haven't scrapped the post yet.

Northman
02-16-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised the mods haven't scrapped the post yet.

Im guessing they are trying to determine how valid it is.

Nomad
02-16-2016, 01:26 PM
WoW! SR has a secret admirer. :lol:

underrated29
02-16-2016, 01:28 PM
I will say a Prayer for SRs soul.

slim
02-16-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't think SR is the topic of this thread.

Consider yourselves moderated.

:fish2:

Timmy!
02-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Stop talking shit and be a man slim!

NightTerror218
02-16-2016, 01:38 PM
I don't think SR is the topic of this thread.

Consider yourselves moderated.

:fish2:

FA talk.....who sent are we going to discuss in this slow time of year.

slim
02-16-2016, 01:40 PM

Chaz Bono is a man.

chazoe60
02-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Hippo? Yash? Beefstew? Dreadnaught?

Nomad
02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Hippo? Yash? Beefstew? Dreadnaught?

It's a classic whoever wrote it. It was well articulated and didn't mention cone drills or 40 times, so Hippo is out. :D

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 02:13 PM

I'm a man! I'm 40!

underrated29
02-16-2016, 02:16 PM
It was a female.

Only a female would do something like this. They are very sneaky when angry. She did not even start a new thread. Made an account and found his last post in this thread and then replied to his "you tell us" with "I will tell you something".

That is why I prayed for his soul. Women that pissed are the only thing a man like SR would be afraid of......and Carnies- small hands, smell like cabbage.
Hope he is alive

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 02:22 PM
It was a female. Only a female would do something like this. They are very sneaky when angry. She did not even start a new thread. Made an account and found his last post in this thread and then replied to his "you tell us" with "I will tell you something". That is why I prayed for his soul. Women that pissed are the only thing a man like SR would be afraid of......and Carnies- small hands, smell like cabbage. Hope he is alive

Unsure this is to be made light of - but I can't help but visualizing his clothes on the front lawn (or on a barbecue) and his iPhone at the bottom of a pool...

NightTerror218
02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Maybe he spends more time with us then his family.

Northman
02-16-2016, 03:10 PM
He must of been a bad Boy to bring down that kind of wrath.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 03:13 PM
He must of been a bad Boy to bring down that kind of wrath.

Still could be a brilliant, ruthless, hit-and-run by a troll.

The fact we haven't heard from him shaking this off is a little bit of a concern though.

Pudge
02-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Still could be a brilliant, ruthless, hit-and-run by a troll.

The fact we haven't heard from him shaking this off is a little bit of a concern though.

It's really nobodies business here. We don't need to be putting faith in a shitty forum post. If SR feels like addressing it so be it, but let's not be a bunch of chatty gossips.

Valar Morghulis
02-16-2016, 04:44 PM
It's really nobodies business here. We don't need to be putting faith in a shitty forum post. If SR feels like addressing it so be it, but let's not be a bunch of chatty gossips.

Good call

Nomad
02-16-2016, 04:52 PM

I would hope no one is taking it serious.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm a man! I'm 40!

"Fat!!"

underrated29
02-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Unsure this is to be made light of - but I can't help but visualizing his clothes on the front lawn (or on a barbecue) and his iPhone at the bottom of a pool...

this reminds me of this video, a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2M2vhvUcFY

underrated29
02-16-2016, 05:12 PM

I just hope he is alright. Comes back and says he and his wife got hammered and they played a prank on us....or something. I had some friends post that they were engaged on Valentines day. They took a picture of the girl with a wedding ring on her finger. Today, they came out and said they were drinking on Valentines and got hammered and decided to mess with everyone. Their whole family is pissed at them now. Hilarious.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 05:15 PM
I forgot about Rand being here today. I missed it :(

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Keeping it classy.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 06:01 PM
this reminds me of this video, a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2M2vhvUcFY

Reminded me of this one:
cE5YOVCahcQ

DenBronx
02-16-2016, 06:27 PM
SR, you doing ok today bud? Lol

Let us know you are still alive please.

TXBRONC
02-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Didn't have the telltale broken English/missing punctuation that was Yash's signature.

Can you sue for defamation based on a message board post?

I don't think so.:whoknows:

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 06:49 PM

Granted this would have been funnier if it were one of your exes. With respect. I don't think this is controversial.

Davii
02-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, I banned that person earlier as they came up as having multiple accounts and the name clued me in as well.

I didn't know about the post until now and have cleaned it up. If you all see something like that please hit report so we see it sooner instead of having to stumble across it.

Chances are that was Yash IMO.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, I banned that person earlier as they came up as having multiple accounts and the name clued me in as well. I didn't know about the post until now and have cleaned it up. If you all see something like that please hit report so we see it sooner instead of having to stumble across it. Chances are that was Yash IMO.

What, were you doing your usual "serving the Country" stuff? Too "busy" to assume your mod duties in a timely fashion?

For shame! Shame shame shame. :)

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, I banned that person earlier as they came up as having multiple accounts and the name clued me in as well. I didn't know about the post until now and have cleaned it up. If you all see something like that please hit report so we see it sooner instead of having to stumble across it. Chances are that was Yash IMO.

Yash upped his punctuation game if it was him. Maybe he studied your lessons.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Yash upped his punctuation game if it was him. Maybe he studied your lessons.

The grammar game was strong.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 07:22 PM
The grammar game was strong.

Davii was quite thorough and patient. He may have learned a thing or two.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Davii was quite thorough and patient. He may have learned a thing or two.

It's inspiring really. I hope Disney makes a movie about it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I banned that person earlier as they came up as having multiple accounts and the name clued me in as well.

I didn't know about the post until now and have cleaned it up. If you all see something like that please hit report so we see it sooner instead of having to stumble across it.

Chances are that was Yash IMO.

The truth is, we thought it was an epic post and wanted it to stay.

Buff
02-16-2016, 08:43 PM
I just want to state for the record that I called SR a couple of weeks ago for home building advice - and he was going to get his wife ice cream from dairy queen at the time. #IStandWithSR #CommittedHusband

Nomad
02-16-2016, 08:46 PM
I just want to state for the record that I called SR a couple of weeks ago for home building advice - and he was going to get his wife ice cream from dairy queen at the time. #IStandWithSR #CommittedHusband

His integrity and commitment as a family man was never in question.

Davii
02-16-2016, 08:46 PM

I have no doubt that it was someone ******* with SR. I've been to his home, met his beautiful family, and I believe him to be a committed husband and father.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2016, 08:47 PM

I don't think Yash understood that red was doing the deed with his wife, not a an adulteress.

:laugh:

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Dairy Queen? The way this board talks about food, I would think it would be some kind of independent, local ice cream restaurant. A Cold Stone even.

Nomad
02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm more curious how these guys who get banned like Yash keep coming back, and why they would come back. It seems their IP address could get blocked, then again, I'm not sure how that works.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2016, 09:02 PM
I have no doubt that it was someone ******* with SR. I've been to his home, met his beautiful family, and I believe him to be a committed husband and father.

Hmm. A reputable personal account. Yes - but, are you SURE?

SR having a hot side-piece and a friend of his wife's taking note of his philandering activities and blasting him on the 3rd most popular Broncos Message Board in the nation...it just seems a lot more likely...

:)

Dapper Dan
02-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Hmm. A reputable personal account. Yes - but, are you SURE?

SR having a hot side-piece and a friend of his wife's taking note of his philandering activities and blasting him on the 3rd most popular Broncos Message Board in the nation...it just seems a lot more likely...

:)

I think they prefer the term side chick or side hoe.

Northman
02-17-2016, 06:20 AM
I dont think anyone really knows if its true or not but as Pudge pointed out its really no ones business anyway.

BroncoWave
02-17-2016, 07:31 AM
I dont think anyone really knows if its true or not but as Pudge pointed out its really no ones business anyway.

Davii already said it was flagged as a dupe account, so that pretty much 100% makes it someone coming on here and trolling.

Valar Morghulis
02-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Davii already said it was flagged as a dupe account, so that pretty much 100% makes it someone coming on here and trolling.

Never let the truth get in the way!!

Dapper Dan
02-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Never let the truth get in the way!!

The truth is out there. I want to believe.

Dapper Dan
02-17-2016, 08:04 AM
The real question is, will this ruin SR's legacy?

BroncoWave
02-17-2016, 08:06 AM
The real question is, will this ruin SR's legacy?

And will Dapper Dan throw a hissy fit and leave the thread over it? :D

Northman
02-17-2016, 08:44 AM

I bet you it was that assclown BTB who did it!

BroncoWave
02-17-2016, 09:00 AM
I bet you it was that assclown BTB who did it!

He has been conspicuously absent lately...

Davii
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM
He has been conspicuously absent lately...

Mega ultra ban?

underrated29
02-17-2016, 09:55 AM
He's just playing possum

Cugel
02-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Quotes via @NickiJhabvala on Twitter

"In talking to my agent, I got a pretty good idea of what my worth is. But I would like to see - because you never know - just to see the numbers. But if Denver came with quality numbers close to what we feel I deserve, then I would stay." - Malik Jackson

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but he said "close" to what he thinks he deserves. Does that mean he would take a few bucks less to stay home?

I thought this one was pretty funny. Malik, on why he threw the TD into the stands, "I don't know how to act when I get touchdowns."

The problem with Malik is that "what my worth is" is somewhere close to $15 M.

And the team that I think will overpay Malik is the Oakland Raiders. They've got $74 M under the cap they have to spend. And signing Malik means they hurt the Broncos and help themselves at the same time.

They get better and we get worse - win-win.

I just don't think the Broncos are in position to give Malik anywhere close to that kind of money, so I think he's gone.

Cugel
02-18-2016, 01:57 AM

Well, he didn't play particularly great this year, and he is due $6,500,000 in 2016. They could probably find someone who would play about as well for a lot less than 6 1/2 million.

I think the only holdover starter on the OL from the SB will be Matt Paradis, and he's a FA they will have to re-sign.

But, Harris & Polumbus are both FAs and are probably gone, with Clady and Sambrailo coming back this year. If the Broncos go with 3 T's like in 2015 that would probably be Clady, Sambrailo and Schofield (who while he sucks is very cheap).

They might need to add an extra T though because of Clady's injury history just as insurance.

In addition of course they will probably not pay Evan Mathis $4 M when he turns 35 this year. He's probably gone too and Max Garcia starts in his place. They need a backup G/C too.

Joel
02-18-2016, 02:02 AM
The problem with Malik is that "what my worth is" is somewhere close to $15 M.

And the team that I think will overpay Malik is the Oakland Raiders. They've got $74 M under the cap they have to spend. And signing Malik means they hurt the Broncos and help themselves at the same time.

They get better and we get worse - win-win.

I just don't think the Broncos are in position to give Malik anywhere close to that kind of money, so I think he's gone.
No way Jackson's worth $15 mil/yr: That's top 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB money. He's simply not and never will be that; he's not even OUR best 3-4 DE, let alone one of the NFLs top 4-3 DEs. He may get every penny of $15 mil/yr, but if Oakland want to sink a huge chunk of it cap into one very good but not elite player, great. :)

Cugel
02-18-2016, 02:08 AM
No way Jackson's worth $15 mil/yr: That's top 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB money. He's simply not and never will be that; he's not even OUR best 3-4 DE, let alone one of the NFLs top 4-3 DEs. He may get every penny of $15 mil/yr, but if Oakland want to sink a huge chunk of it cap into one very good but not elite player, great. :)

I'm not arguing that he's worth $15 M Joel. I'm saying this is a unique situation and he might get something close to that.

The new NFL rule is that teams have to spend the minimum amount over the 2013-16 period, so that period is up this year and if teams haven't been spending enough in years past they have to make it up THIS year. If they don't they will have to write a check for the amount they are under to the NFLPA, which you know owners would rather light their hair on fire than do.

The Raiders lead the league at $74 M under the cap. If they didn't already have Derek Carr I'd be afraid of them paying Brock Osweiler $17-18 M just to screw with Denver. They have to spend the money on somebody.

TXBRONC
02-18-2016, 04:57 PM
It's a classic whoever wrote it. It was well articulated and didn't mention cone drills or 40 times, so Hippo is out. :D

I think Hippo has been banned.

chazoe60
02-19-2016, 10:46 AM
Am I crazy for thinking I'd feel worse if we lose Danny T and David Bruton than if we lose Malik? I realize in the grand scheme of things that Malik may be more important but it would suck to see Danny T or Bruton wearing another team's Jersey while I've kind of already written Malik off.

I also feel like the loss of Danny and David would hurt locker room and team chemistry more than the loss of Malik.

DenBronx
02-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Brandon Marshall is the 2nd most important FA this offseason. I think the priority is keeping the LB group together more than anything.

Resign all of our LBs then go from there. The rest of the guys can be replaced if needed but having that LB core together is rather rare/special and actually makes all other positions on defense that much easier. They are young, super talented and FAST!

DenBronx
02-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Oh, and keep that Jordan Norwood guy around. I believe that guys going to be a starter one day.

TXBRONC
02-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Oh, and keep that Jordan Norwood guy around. I believe that guys going to be a starter one day.

Is this sarcasm?

DenBronx
02-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Is this sarcasm?

I meant Jordan Taylor. :)

Norwood might be a starter too.....on special teams! Lol!!!

TXBRONC
02-22-2016, 07:54 PM
I meant Jordan Taylor. :)

Norwood might be a starter too.....on special teams! Lol!!!

Thanks for the clarification Den. :beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

Traded texts w Evan Mathis. True tough guy. He said open to playing for #Broncos if decides to keep playing. Way better than people realize

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2h

#Broncos working through items.. Nothing going on w talks w Bolden, Bruton and Harris. All have earned right to start. Might not be in Denver

Troy Renck Retweeted
Denver Post Broncos ‏@PostBroncos 4h

Tight end Richard Gordon re-signs with #Broncos http://dpo.st/1L6YYNc

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3h

Late on this. Was in meeting. #broncos signed defensive lineman Phil Taylor and TE Richard Gordon

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2016, 09:24 PM
KUSA—Time for Jimmy Sexton, Joby Branion and Jack Scharf to polish up their client’s dossiers.

Denver Broncos’ general manager John Elway, or staff personnel speaking on Elway’s behalf, will meet the representatives of the team’s own unrestricted free agent players this week during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The Broncos’ unrestricted free-agent class is headed by pass-rushing linebacker Von Miller, whose agent is Branion; defensive end Malik Jackson, who is represented by Scharf, and quarterback Brock Osweiler, who is represented by Sexton.

The most significant of these discussions is the Broncos plan to meet with Osweiler’s agent. As of Monday morning, the Broncos had yet to open discussions with Sexton about a contract extension for Osweiler, who everyone expects will be the team’s starting quarterback in 2016.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-to-open-talks-with-osweiler-miller-other-free-agents-at-combine/51125516

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 47m

NFL's salary cap now expected to rise again, possibly by another $2 million or so per team, per source.... http://fb.me/4hoRrSmQg

LTC Pain
02-22-2016, 11:07 PM
This PFT story indicates Mathis is going to have ankle surgery. And, that he wants to stay with the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/evan-mathis-this-broncos-team-would-have-eaten-chip-kelly-alive/

underrated29
02-23-2016, 12:06 AM

#Broncos working through items.. Nothing going on w talks w Bolden, Bruton and Harris. All have earned right to start. Might not be in Denver

What? Which other Harris do we have? Does he mean trevathan?

SoCalImport
02-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Ryan Harris, I'm assuming.

tubby
02-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Eric Goodman ‏@EricGoodman · 20m20 minutes ago

NFL Source close to #Broncos Malik negotiations:

Broncos have come up from 3 years, $24M to 5 years, $50Mish

Jackson wants 5 years, $75M

NightTerror218
02-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Eric Goodman &rlm;@EricGoodman · 20m20 minutes ago

$15 Million a season, Malik over values self. Adios buddy have fun in Chicago. Elway can get everything other FA on defense resigned for that amount with exceptional to Von. Malik should know that this team is built to go deep in playoffs and will not over special day on good players. Elway is about best roster and great depth.

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 03:37 PM

The part that I find hardest to believe on these numbers is the 3 for $24 number. When was this offered, during the season? Because there's no chance they signed Wolfe for more years and a higher AAV, then went to Malik with that.

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Not to mention this:

@TroyRenck did you hear about the reported contract off the Broncos gave Malik?

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted
❕Brandon Jones

❕™

Was told not the case

Joel
02-23-2016, 04:26 PM

I certainly HOPE that's bunk. Even our purported offer's too much, but more, let alone TWICE more... Jackson's far from the only person we must re-sign, PLUS we'll have a draft class to sign, and a bunch of guys to re-sign in 2017, too. Paying $8, 10 or $15 million/yr for our SECOND-BEST player at a LOWER PRIORITY position would just be insane. People are acting like this is Bruce Smith, or Ware in his prime, but Jackson's more of a poor mans Trevor Pryce.

We've already got a BETTER DE under contract for LESS, and can probably re-sign TWO MORE solid ones (i.e. Walker and Smith) for less than our reported offer to Jackson—AND Walker spelled Sly without missing a beat all year; can Jackson do that? Let the man have his big payday: But NOT from us. 3-4 DE's just not that big a deal, especially when we already have a better one, good depth and MANY more key players to re-sign.

TXBRONC
02-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

Traded texts w Evan Mathis. True tough guy. He said open to playing for #Broncos if decides to keep playing. Way better than people realize

Troy Renck Retweeted
Denver Post Broncos ‏@PostBroncos 4h

Tight end Richard Gordon re-signs with #Broncos http://dpo.st/1L6YYNc

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3h

Late on this. Was in meeting. #broncos signed defensive lineman Phil Taylor and TE Richard Gordon

Mathis did catch a lot of grief for his play but if I'm not mistaken he still graded out very well as run blocker.

TXBRONC
02-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Not to mention this:

@TroyRenck did you hear about the reported contract off the Broncos gave Malik?

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted
❕Brandon Jones

❕™

Was told not the case

The Broncos didn't offer Jackson a contract?

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 04:56 PM
The Broncos didn't offer Jackson a contract?

He's saying the numbers are incorrect. In fact, he just Tweeted this:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Eric Goodman

#Broncos have made Malik a top priority. I am told report is inaccurate in that #Broncos offer more than stated.

Northman
02-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Bye bye Malik. Nice knowing ya.

TXBRONC
02-23-2016, 05:02 PM
He's saying the numbers are incorrect. In fact, he just Tweeted this:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Eric Goodman

#Broncos have made Malik a top priority. I am told report is inaccurate in that #Broncos offer more than stated.

Got it. Thanks.

Joel
02-23-2016, 08:36 PM
TOP priority? I presume that's just a figure of speech. Either that, or Von's playing all of 2016 under a franchise tag and we're drafting a QB in the 1st.

Is it sad that at this point I'd actually PREFER Jackson refusing to sign?

Northman
02-23-2016, 09:02 PM
TOP priority? I presume that's just a figure of speech. Either that, or Von's playing all of 2016 under a franchise tag and we're drafting a QB in the 1st.

The Broncos have mentioned that using the tag on Von might be plausible until they get a deal worked out.

dogfish
02-23-2016, 09:09 PM
The Broncos have mentioned that using the tag on Von might be plausible until they get a deal worked out.

given that the deadline for applying the tag is next tuesday, and they reportedly aren't negotiating right now, i think it's guaranteed at this point that we're going to tag him. . . sounds like they'll try to work out a long term deal from there, just like they did with DT. . . but at this point, i think we can assume that the tag isn't in play for malik or os. . .

MOtorboat
02-23-2016, 09:11 PM
i think we can assume that the tag isn't in play for malik or os. . .

And it shouldn't be. Neither deserve top five at their position money.

chazoe60
02-23-2016, 09:15 PM
The part that I find hardest to believe on these numbers is the 3 for $24 number. When was this offered, during the season? Because there's no chance they signed Wolfe for more years and a higher AAV, then went to Malik with that.

Why? Wolfe is better than Malik. Wolfe had more tackles and more sacks in 4 fewer games. Malik is not worth anything near $15M a season, that would be grossly overpaying.

Joel
02-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but if we pay Jackson and Oz $10 mil+ EACH, then re-sign the rest of our FA (e.g. Marshall, CJ, McManus, Paradis, to name but a few) AND sign our draft picks, what's that leave for Von? Nowhere near the $20 mil/yr he wants and earned, so we won't just franchise him to buy time, but all season.

Which will make 2017 signings a ton of fun.... :(

I just can't see how Jackson's worth this. He's good, but not great, the position's not critical to our D, and even if it were we've already got a DE who IS great, plus two more solid rotational guys who come cheap and played well as starters during Wolfes month-long suspension. There's no sense in tying ourselves or our cap in knots over our SECOND best player at a non-critical position with plenty of depth.

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Why? Wolfe is better than Malik. Wolfe had more tackles and more sacks in 4 fewer games. Malik is not worth anything near $15M a season, that would be grossly overpaying.

I think Wolfe is better at this point, but it's debatable. We had a whole thread about who was better a few months back and it was pretty even, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, that's not the point. My impression is that Wolfe took a (slight?) discount to sign during the season, ala Chris Harris. Malik probably would have been offered the same deal as Wolfe; reports were that he turned down a deal, so I'd guess it was that one. On the open market, Jackson will probably get $10-12 million, so us offering a short term deal at $8 would get us nowhere. If they were going to do that, they might as well have let him walk with no effort to re-sign him (aka, the way we treated every FA last year). If what Renck is saying is true, we're still negotiating with him at over $10 million a year - more than Wolfe got.

Let's be honest - he's not getting $15 million from anyone. That doesn't mean he shouldn't put it out there, though.

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 10:31 PM

I think you're reading into that too much. My feeling is that they're making an effort to re-sign him and he is a marquee name, hence the words "a top priority." That doesn't mean that they've forgotten the other "top" priorities they have (Miller, Osweiler, hell even Trevathan could fall under that word if they're using it loosely).

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 10:33 PM
On a related note, both Mayock and Kiper are saying that this is the deepest draft for DL that they can remember. I think Kiper said 10-12 guys might have first round grades in that group, and that you could probably wait till the third round and get a guy with first round talent. That might be hyperbole, but my contention has always been (or at least since Wolfe signed) that Jackson was gone and we'd use a first or second rounder on a d-lineman. Whether that mystery man starts or not is up for debate but I think we can find an impact player to keep this defense at a high level for a long time to come.

Cugel
02-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Yeah, but if we pay Jackson and Oz $10 mil+ EACH, then re-sign the rest of our FA (e.g. Marshall, CJ, McManus, Paradis, to name but a few) AND sign our draft picks, what's that leave for Von? Nowhere near the $20 mil/yr he wants and earned, so we won't just franchise him to buy time, but all season.

I just can't see how Jackson's worth this. He's good, but not great, the position's not critical to our D, and even if it were we've already got a DE who IS great, plus two more solid rotational guys who come cheap and played well as starters during Wolfes month-long suspension. There's no sense in tying ourselves or our cap in knots over our SECOND best player at a non-critical position with plenty of depth.

They get $19 M when Peyton retires or is cut minus the $2 M he gets when they decline his option so $17 M.

They get $4 M when they cut Vernon Davis.

They get about $5 M to $10 M when they either restructure or cut Ryan Clady.

They get $4 M from cutting Evan Mathis.

17+4+5+4 = 30 M.

Von's salary is $10 and will be $20 M so that costs $10.

That leaves $20 M in savings, plus the increase in the salary cap for 2016, which is reported to be $11.5 M.

They therefore have the $12 M they are under the cap + 11.5 + 20 = $43.5 M

That sounds like a lot, but they've got 15 UFAs + all new rookies, plus any other players they want to pick up during training camp to re-sign, so about $3 M per player. Obviously that won't get all those players signed.

VonDoom
02-23-2016, 10:40 PM
They get $19 M when Peyton retires or is cut minus the $2 M he gets when they decline his option so $17 M.

They get $4 M when they cut Vernon Davis.

Manning's cap number is $21.5. If we cut him or he retires, we save $19 million. Also, Davis is a UFA. We don't get any savings from him because he's not currently on the team.

NightTerror218
02-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Manning's cap number is $21.5. If we cut him or he retires, we save $19 million. Also, Davis is a UFA. We don't get any savings from him because he's not currently on the team.

Same with mathis

VonDoom
02-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Saw this on MHR - not sure where a reporter for the Bears heard his numbers, but ...

The Denver Post reported the Super Bowl champion Broncos have made an offer to Jackson in the range of $10 million per year. Coincidence or not, Jackson's agent, Jack Scharf, and Broncos general manager John Elway and contract negotiator Mike Sullivan checked into a downtown hotel at the same time Wednesday afternoon. Jackson is believed to be seeking $12 million per year, and even with the Bears' plentiful salary-cap space, that might be putting too many eggs in one basket, as Pace put it in January.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-bears-nfl-free-agency-spt-0225-20160224-column.html

Joel
02-25-2016, 02:14 AM
Saw this on MHR - not sure where a reporter for the Bears heard his numbers, but ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-bears-nfl-free-agency-spt-0225-20160224-column.html
If a garbage rebuilding team like Chicago doesn't think he's worth $12M/yr to them, I can't see how he's worth $10M/yr to the SB Champs. At least Chicago plays a 4-3, where DEs are critical; in our 3-4, they're roleplayers: How can a champions roleplayer be more valuable than a key spot on a team desperate for talent?

We can meet Jacksons price if we REALLY want: But how much else will we give up how many other places? Places where we have far less quality depth, far more valuable than 3-4 DE. We won't stay on top paying $50M/yr for half a dozen guys who are only worth $20M/yr, but feel entitled to more because we got them Rings.

VonDoom
02-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos are poised to push for a mega long-term extension for Von Miller, sources say. They've had talks & there's optimism it gets done

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 10m10 minutes ago

If #Broncos can strike a deal for SB MVP Von Miller, now feasible, it opens up all options for Brock Osweiler. Hope is a long-term deal

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3m3 minutes ago

Lindsay Jones Retweeted Ian Rapoport

March 1 deadline for franchise tag. A deal with Von by then would change a lot of things re: Brock

NightTerror218
02-25-2016, 09:07 PM
I have a feeling arian Foster is going to be a Broncos.

It's the Kubiak connection. He knows system. Nice career average per carry I believe. Elway would get him cheap if he were to come aboard.

Rick
02-25-2016, 09:20 PM
I have a feeling arian Foster is going to be a Broncos.

It's the Kubiak connection. He knows system. Nice career average per carry I believe. Elway would get him cheap if he were to come aboard.

I could live with that.

Joel
02-25-2016, 09:56 PM
I like Foster a lot, but his recurring serious injury history the last 4-5 years are a big red flag, especially for a RB who'll be a month past 30 by Opening Day. Also, this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000638496/article/texans-gm-team-wont-cut-arian-foster-due-to-salary

Ultimately, Elways "we don't draft All Pros, we develop All Pros" is pretty much the defining premise of Kubiaks ZBS RBs. I personally think the RBs we've GOT will be just fine as long as we get them some consistently decent blocking. Right now the line gets them -1 or -2 and our RBs look OK adding 4 yds to avoid a loss: When our line gets them 1-2 and they add 4 yds to THAT.... :shocked:

NightTerror218
02-25-2016, 09:58 PM
I like Foster a lot, but his recurring serious injury history the last 4-5 years are a big red flag, especially for a RB who'll be a month past 30 by Opening Day. Also, this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000638496/article/texans-gm-team-wont-cut-arian-foster-due-to-salary

Ultimately, Elways "we don't draft All Pros, we develop All Pros" is pretty much the defining premise of Kubiaks ZBS RBs. I personally think the RBs we've GOT will be just fine as long as we get them some consistently decent blocking. Right now the line gets them -1 or -2 and our RBs look OK adding 4 yds to avoid a loss: When our line gets them 1-2 and they add 4 yds to THAT.... :shocked:

Rumors going around that Texas are going to cut him. Only reason I brought it up.

ShaneFalco
02-25-2016, 10:43 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2/25/11116914/john-elway-broncos-wont-use-the-franchise-tag-on-brock-osweiler

ohn Elway: Broncos won't use the franchise tag on Brock Osweiler

Joel
02-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Rumors going around that Texas are going to cut him. Only reason I brought it up.
Fair enough; probably why the Texans GM said what he did. Ultimatey, his word's no more reliable than the rumors.

Either way, I want a RB with less miles and injuries than Foster; it's not like Kubiak and Dennisons ZBS have ever lacked for RB production when they had decent blocking, and I fully expect they'll have exactly that soon. Anyone who took Tater from bagging groceries to 1000 yd rusher doesn't need Foster to continue the same.

NightTerror218
02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Fair enough; probably why the Texans GM said what he did. Ultimatey, his word's no more reliable than the rumors.

Either way, I want a RB with less miles and injuries than Foster; it's not like Kubiak and Dennisons ZBS have ever lacked for RB production when they had decent blocking, and I fully expect they'll have exactly that soon. Anyone who took Tater from bagging groceries to 1000 yd rusher doesn't need Foster to continue the same.

That was why I said CHEAP. And if he is back up to Anderson he will more likely stay healthy all season.

Ravage!!!
02-26-2016, 11:32 AM
I would prefer to stay away from Foster.

tubby
02-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Let's bring back Clinton Portis.

Cugel
02-26-2016, 12:46 PM

True enough. The Broncos are not going to spend money on RBs. They will promote Kapri Bibbs and Jawan Thompson to replace Ronnie Hillman, and keep C.J. Anderson and they'll be fine. Maybe pick up a couple of late round or undrafted FA running backs to add to the practice squad. RBs in today's NFL are just a dime a dozen. Nobody wants to pay for them.

So, no point signing Foster, who is scheduled to make $6.5 M this season. Even at half that he's still no bargain.

Cugel
02-26-2016, 01:07 PM

You are putting things in the wrong order. They don't need to pay everybody else before signing Jackson. They are prioritizing.

First, tendering Von Miller a franchise contract keeps does not mean they won't sign him to a long-term deal. They will. That's their first priority. If that means they can't keep Danny Trevathan they'll let him go and promote Todd Davis or Corey Nelson, both of whom are quality backups. First thing to remember with Von is that he was already earning $10 M in 2015. So, he's getting a $10 M raise. It's not a fresh $20 M.

Second priority is Brock Osweiler. It now appears that the FA market for Osweiler is not going to be quite as high as many have feared. He's not getting $15 M, but more like $12-13 M. The Broncos can re-sign him for that without breaking the bank once Peyton Manning and his $17 M comes off the cap.

Third, Broncos have tendered an offer to Jackson. They are not going to enter into a bidding war with other teams, nor do they want to give him a contract that's vastly greater than what Wolfe signed for. So, perhaps $11 M is their number. Once the bidding gets up to $12 - 15 M they will not match. So, he's gone.

As for Matt Paradis, he's an exclusive rights FA, along with Bennie Fowler, Brandon McManus, and Todd Davis. That means no other teams can negotiate with them:

I’m not even sure why these players are called free. These are the players with 2 or less seasons in the league, a status reserved almost solely for undrafted rookie type players. Once tendered they can only negotiate with their former team. The tender offer is only a one year non-guaranteed contract at the minimum salary level so most teams would use the ERFA designation on players who were on the roster late in the prior year and signed to a 1 year deal. Usually these offers are signed as soon as they are made since nothing is gained by waiting.

So, all those guys are going to be back next season. They are not really FAs at all. Paradis was on the practice squad last season, so 2015 was his first year in the league. He's at least 1 year away from getting a big pay-day, assuming he continues to start in 2016.

As for Fowler and McManus, would you offer a 2nd round pick for either of them? Me neither. So, they're both staying as well. Neither is getting a big pay-day either. They might even give a low tier tender for Bennie Fowler. I doubt anybody wants to even give up a late round draft pick and give the Broncos the right to match. There are guys like Bennie Fowler on every NFL team. He's nothing special and they can almost certainly pick up somebody like him in FA if they want one. No need to give the Broncos compensation for Fowler.

As for Brandon Marshall and C.J. Anderson both are restricted rights FA. So, both are staying.

C.J. is never getting that big money FA contract with the Broncos. Next year, they are going to let him walk and find another RB. That's the Kubiak system that made a thousand yard rusher out of Orlandis Gary. "You want big money Clinton Portis? Next!"

There are 4 RFA designations, each with a different price tag and a different compensation package. Unlike the franchise and transition contracts these contracts are not fully guaranteed. The price of the tags range from $1.323 million to $2,879 million in 2013. The highest price tag gives the prior team the right to receive a teams’ 1st round draft pick as compensation if they choose not to match the offer. The mid cost grade gives the team a 2nd round pick while the final ones give the team the ability to receive compensation at the player original draft round and/or the right to simply match the offer sheet.

Even if a team were willing to give up a first or 2nd round draft pick for Brandon Marshall (and they're not), the Broncos would have the right to simply match, so he's staying if they want him, which they undoubtedly do.

Most teams don't even bother to try and sign a RFA away from another team because of the compensation and right to match. Generally a waste of time. And it leads other teams to try and retaliate against you. Collusion is the name of the game in the NFL.

Conclusion: The Cap situation is not nearly as grim as you are making it out.

They are going to re-sign everybody except Malik Jackson, and possibly Danny Trevathan. And they can find replacements for both those guys. It will hurt their defense some, but it's not as if they are losing Von Miller or Chris Harris. They can even hope to find a 3-4 DE in the draft. That's probably the deepest position. They can bring back Antonio Smith and Vance Walker and draft a rookie to play behind them, and then maybe start later in the season.

Cugel
02-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Really, I think the biggest questions for the Broncos in FA are:

1. Are they going to re-negotiate Ryan Clady's contract or is he gone? He's due $10 M in 2016, and he's indicated that he'd be willing to re-negotiate a reduced amount in order to stay with the team.

But, the team might just conclude that it's time to cut ties with Clady, promote Sambrailo to LT and find a RT in the draft or FA. They might re-sign Ryan Harris. Harris might get some interest in FA, but the Broncos are reportedly "serious" about trying to work out a deal for him at the combine.

While Osweiler, Miller, and Jackson represent the top tier of Denver free agents, the team will make time at this week’s combine to meet with the agents for other free-agents-to-be. (http://www.profootballrumors.com/ryan-harris/) Klis expects the Broncos to be the most serious about attempting to lock up wide receiver Jordan Norwood, linebacker Danny Trevathan, and offensive tackle Ryan Harris.

2. The other big question is whether DeMarcus Ware will want to play another season. He's currently on Safari in Africa with Demaryius. When he gets back Elway may try and re-negotiate his contract to get more salary cap room. Or they could cut him entirely. I can't see them doing that, but if the budget is tight, it could happen. I imagine Elway would like to keep DeMarcus for his last season, but this is a business.

3. Danny Trevathan is going to get a lot of interest around the NFL, so Elway would have his work cut out for him in re-negotiating his deal.

BroncoJoe
02-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Are Cugel and Joel related?

ShaneFalco
02-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Let's bring back Clinton Portis.

Peyton Hillis

Cugel
02-26-2016, 06:54 PM
The latest word this from the combine on The Fan this afternoon is that

#1 - the Broncos have not entered into negotiations with UFA Danny Trevathan, so it looks like he's gone.

#2 - Broncos are negotiating with Ryan Clady for a reduced salary, so it seems likely he will stay.

#3 - Broncos are expecting an announcement from Peyton by Tuesday. If he has said nothing by Wednesday March 2, expect him to make the Broncos cut him, and then try and come back with another team. There's even an (unlikely) scenario where the Broncos bring Peyton back. That would be if they are unable to negotiate a contract with Osweiler, who then enters FA and gets a $15-17 M offer from the Rams or somebody, pricing himself completely off the Broncos. In that case, maybe they draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and bring back Peyton at a reduced salary (perhaps $9 M) a year or something, for 1 more season, while the rookie sits and tries to get ready for 2017.

Unlikely.

#4 - No word on any renegotiated contract for DeMarcus Ware, who is currently in Africa on safari with Demaryius Thomas.

Cugel
02-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Most recent word: Osweiler contract in Nick Foles range:

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $24,540,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $13,792,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,270,000.

If that were the case, Broncos should be able to successfully re-sign Osweiler. Problem would be if he hit FA and got just a stupid offer. But, the Rams aren't real happy with Nick Foles who might not even get his $6 roster bonus this off-season.

There aren't a lot of middle-tier FA Qbs in the NFL. There are guys who are considered elite, who make $18, $19-23 M a year, and guys who are backups, who make at most $7, $8 M.

And Osweiler doesn't really fit into either of those categories. Not a proven veteran, but not someone who's failed before so not in that $8-$9 M range either.

MOtorboat
02-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Who's reporting that?

MOtorboat
02-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Peyton Hillis

The most overrated running back in Broncos history.

:clap2:

Joel
02-26-2016, 07:23 PM
That was why I said CHEAP. And if he is back up to Anderson he will more likely stay healthy all season.
Okay, I'd be fine with Foster as a bargain basement backup (though I doubt he or his agent would.)

True enough. The Broncos are not going to spend money on RBs. They will promote Kapri Bibbs and Jawan Thompson to replace Ronnie Hillman, and keep C.J. Anderson
I PRAY you're right, because I agree we'll be fine if we fix our line and do that (and the FO's says it's FINALLY prioritizing the line, unless it's just blowing smoke.)

Maybe pick up a couple of late round or undrafted FA running backs to add to the practice squad. RBs in today's NFL are just a dime a dozen. Nobody wants to pay for them.

So, no point signing Foster, who is scheduled to make $6.5 M this season. Even at half that he's still no bargain.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay $3M for him, though $2M would pique my interest.

You are putting things in the wrong order. They don't need to pay everybody else before signing Jackson. They are prioritizing.

First, tendering Von Miller a franchise contract keeps does not mean they won't sign him to a long-term deal. They will. That's their first priority. If that means they can't keep Danny Trevathan they'll let him go and promote Todd Davis or Corey Nelson, both of whom are quality backups. First thing to remember with Von is that he was already earning $10 M in 2015. So, he's getting a $10 M raise. It's not a fresh $20 M.
Our 2016 cap doesn't include Von's 2015 salary: A $20 M cap hit is a $20 M cap hit. So let's start there: $20M gone.

Second priority is Brock Osweiler. It now appears that the FA market for Osweiler is not going to be quite as high as many have feared. He's not getting $15 M, but more like $12-13 M. The Broncos can re-sign him for that without breaking the bank once Peyton Manning and his $17 M comes off the cap.
Appearances are often deceiving, but let's go with that: $20M+12½M=$32½M. That's about TWICE what we save by cutting Manning.

Third, Broncos have tendered an offer to Jackson. They are not going to enter into a bidding war with other teams, nor do they want to give him a contract that's vastly greater than what Wolfe signed for. So, perhaps $11 M is their number. Once the bidding gets up to $12 - 15 M they will not match. So, he's gone.
They're reportedly "still talking;" if you tell someone "take it or leave it" you're not "still talking" over a week later. But, for sake of argument: $32½M+11M=$43½M.

As for Matt Paradis, he's an exclusive rights FA, along with Bennie Fowler, Brandon McManus, and Todd Davis. That means no other teams can negotiate with them:

So, all those guys are going to be back next season. They are not really FAs at all. Paradis was on the practice squad last season, so 2015 was his first year in the league. He's at least 1 year away from getting a big pay-day, assuming he continues to start in 2016.

As for Fowler and McManus, would you offer a 2nd round pick for either of them? Me neither. So, they're both staying as well. Neither is getting a big pay-day either. They might even give a low tier tender for Bennie Fowler. I doubt anybody wants to even give up a late round draft pick and give the Broncos the right to match. There are guys like Bennie Fowler on every NFL team. He's nothing special and they can almost certainly pick up somebody like him in FA if they want one. No need to give the Broncos compensation for Fowler.
Okay, fine: If they can't take offers they can't take offers. That said, it only applies IF we tender them, even the minimum for 2nd year players is an even $600K next year, and there's 4 of them, so that's another $2½M: +$43½M=$46M. Probably more; whether or not guys like Fowler are a dime a dozen, I'd wager we keep 2/3 of Fowler, Caldwell and Norwood.

As for Brandon Marshall and C.J. Anderson both are restricted rights FA. So, both are staying.

C.J. is never getting that big money FA contract with the Broncos. Next year, they are going to let him walk and find another RB. That's the Kubiak system that made a thousand yard rusher out of Orlandis Gary. "You want big money Clinton Portis? Next!"

Even if a team were willing to give up a first or 2nd round draft pick for Brandon Marshall (and they're not), the Broncos would have the right to simply match, so he's staying if they want him, which they undoubtedly do.

Most teams don't even bother to try and sign a RFA away from another team because of the compensation and right to match. Generally a waste of time. And it leads other teams to try and retaliate against you. Collusion is the name of the game in the NFL.
Match with WHAT? You just hand-waved away $46M for half a dozen players, and we haven't even signed our draftees or OWN FAs yet! And I could easily see a playoff team desperate for a RB or MLB giving up a late 2nd round pick for CJ or Marshall. If Joe Thomas is worth #30something and ANOTHER 1st rounder, two much younger Pro Bowlers are worth #60. So what do we match with, goodwill (or Goodwill.)

Conclusion: The Cap situation is not nearly as grim as you are making it out.
Sure, if we've got $50-60M of cap space to play around with, but I don't see how that's true.

They are going to re-sign everybody except Malik Jackson, and possibly Danny Trevathan. And they can find replacements for both those guys. It will hurt their defense some, but it's not as if they are losing Von Miller or Chris Harris. They can even hope to find a 3-4 DE in the draft. That's probably the deepest position. They can bring back Antonio Smith and Vance Walker and draft a rookie to play behind them, and then maybe start later in the season.
Walker's actually still under contract one more year, and rotated with Sly the rest of the season (that's why Kilgo was always inactive) after starting in Wolfes place the whole first month. Counting on him (for just $1½M!) and re-signing Antonio Smith for peanuts is EXACTLY what we should do instead of paying Jackson $10-15M for a lower priority position where we have plenty of quality depth.

ShaneFalco
02-26-2016, 07:32 PM
The most overrated running back in Broncos history.

:clap2:

the great white hype

Joel
02-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Really, I think the biggest questions for the Broncos in FA are:

1. Are they going to re-negotiate Ryan Clady's contract or is he gone? He's due $10 M in 2016, and he's indicated that he'd be willing to re-negotiate a reduced amount in order to stay with the team.

But, the team might just conclude that it's time to cut ties with Clady, promote Sambrailo to LT and find a RT in the draft or FA. They might re-sign Ryan Harris. Harris might get some interest in FA, but the Broncos are reportedly "serious" about trying to work out a deal for him at the combine.
We may well keep Harris (whom we drafted Kubiaks final year as OC) as a backup swing tackle with experience starting and in the system; if his agent's reasonable that would be a good signing: Sambrailo was still drafted to start at RT though, and if Clady's as reasonable as he sounds he should have a few decent years left at LT even if injuries mean he'll never be an All Pro again. It's hard to see how those things don't happen; I just hope the last drafts 9th OT is way better than that.

Looks like we are going after the guy who had the longest punt return in SB history; good news is his minimum's <$600,000 since he tore his ACL just before Opening Day 2014. It all adds up though, and handing each of 3 guys 8-figure salaries leaves very little cushion.

2. The other big question is whether DeMarcus Ware will want to play another season. He's currently on Safari in Africa with Demaryius. When he gets back Elway may try and re-negotiate his contract to get more salary cap room. Or they could cut him entirely. I can't see them doing that, but if the budget is tight, it could happen. I imagine Elway would like to keep DeMarcus for his last season, but this is a business.
Ware said right after the SB that he wants to keep playing, and he's the #1 Ds field marshall (plus our DC understandably loves him.) He's not going anywhere, but I've seen a few comments here about the team trying to talk him down. The question THERE is whether a guy with recurring back problems and a 34th birthday a few months away thinks a restructure makes sense; stretching the cash into "future years" isn't an option if he isn't planning on any future years.

3. Danny Trevathan is going to get a lot of interest around the NFL, so Elway would have his work cut out for him in re-negotiating his deal.
We'll run out of butter long before we get to Trevathans bread, sadly, because our depth isn't nearly as good there as at DE. I frankly hope both he and Jackson walk sooner than later, both because it'll let us keep nearly all other 2016 FAs we want, and because it'll keep us out of cap Hell when we have TWO DOZEN contracts expiring in 2017 (plus all the ERFAs and RFAs we tender for a single season now: As of now, MOST Broncos aren't under contract beyond 2016.)

Cugel
02-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Sure, if we've got $50-60M of cap space to play around with, but I don't see how that's true.

If you really want to work it out and see if the Broncos can balance their salary cap under whatever conditions you want to name, visit this site: Over the Cap Calculator (http://overthecap.com/calculator/denver-broncos/)

You can play around with whatever assumptions you like. As I said. It looks to me like they can keep every starter but Danny Trevathan, possibly Malik Jackson, Vernon Davis and Evan Mathis.

They might want to cut Louis Vasquez and his $6.5M too, I don't know. They are certainly entering into negotiations with Ryan Clady. If those are successful, it knocks off perhaps $4.5-$5M.

See for yourself.

Joel
02-26-2016, 09:35 PM
If you really want to work it out and see if the Broncos can balance their salary cap under whatever conditions you want to name, visit this site: Over the Cap Calculator (http://overthecap.com/calculator/denver-broncos/)
Just last week OTC had our cap space listed at <$300K and their simulator only allowed changing/signing contracts for preset amounts. Let's just say I don't take what OTC says to the NFL bank. ;) HAVING said that:

You can play around with whatever assumptions you like. As I said. It looks to me like they can keep every starter but Danny Trevathan, possibly Malik Jackson, Vernon Davis and Evan Mathis.

They might want to cut Louis Vasquez and his $6.5M too, I don't know. They are certainly entering into negotiations with Ryan Clady. If those are successful, it knocks off perhaps $4.5-$5M.

See for yourself.
Please tell me what you did then, because when I 1) cut Manning, 2) restructure Clady for the max and 3) re-sign Von for $100M/5 yrs I end up with a little over just under $13½M in cap space: How do I give Oz most or all of that AND $10-11M/yr more to Jackson AND re-sign everyone but Trevathan, Jackson and Mathis (Davis isn't a starter)? To say nothing of the many vital roleplayer FAs or this years draft class.

By the way, 2nd round tenderd on CJ and Marshall? Right at $5M, $7M if tendering all ERFAs, too; now we're down to <$6½ AFTER cutting Manning and restructuring Clady, and Oz and Jackson STILL aren't re-signed. I can ALMOST do it if I cut Vasquez AND about dozen, but giving Oz an average of $12M/3 yrs leaves me $1½-2½M short of paying Jackson $10-11M. And, again, I still haven't signed our draft class nor ADDED any FAs.

Now, if the argument's that we can do it all if we let Jackson AND Trevathan walk, sure, that's doable (especially if we cut Talib; that not only saves $2M more than cutting Vasquez, but our DB depth is WAY better than our G quality.) This is what I et al. mean when we say Jackson's an unaffordable luxury not worth giving up 3-4 (or more) guys at least as valuable but backed by far less depth.

MOtorboat
02-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Watching the two of you flail around trying to figure out the cap is entertaining.

:popcorn:

Joel
02-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Watching the two of you flail around trying to figure out the cap is entertaining.

:popcorn:
Hey, I freely admit not knowing how we're gonna pull off this "8-figure salaries for EVERYONE! :)" thing, especially for our second best player at a complementary position. I'm still hoping Elway eventually decides we NEED Von and NEED Oz but merely WANT Jackson but would be fine without him.

You're welcome and encouraged to elaborate on that "the DE franchise tag is x% of the current year cap, not an average of the top 5 salaries" thing, too.

MOtorboat
02-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Hey, I freely admit not knowing how we're gonna pull off this "8-figure salaries for EVERYONE! :)" thing, especially for our second best player at a complementary position. I'm still hoping Elway eventually decides we NEED Von and NEED Oz but merely WANT Jackson but would be fine without him.

You're welcome and encouraged to elaborate on that "the DE franchise tag is x% of the current year cap, not an average of the top 5 salaries" thing, too.

Why elaborate on it? It is what it is - about 10 percent more over last year's, maybe with an even higher percentage than normal because of cap bump - a little over $15 million.

Joel
02-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Why elaborate on it?
For one thing, because it means some editing's in order (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag):

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
For another, that's how pretty much EVERYONE ELSE describes the franchise tag, too. So is the tag 1) a given percentage of the current year cap, or 2) the higher of 120% of the players last salary/the average of the top five current salaries at his position? Is the salary of other players at his position irrelevant, or is the current cap amount irrelevant? Because each is wholly independent of the other.

MOtorboat
02-27-2016, 12:45 AM
For one thing, because it means some editing's in order (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag):

For another, that's how pretty much EVERYONE ELSE describes the franchise tag, too. So is the tag 1) a given percentage of the current year cap, or 2) the higher of 120% of the players last salary/the average of the top five current salaries at his position? Is the salary of other players at his position irrelevant, or is the current cap amount irrelevant? Because each is wholly independent of the other.

No one cares.

It's just north of $15 million for a DE: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636218/article/estimated-2016-franchise-tag-figures

Joel
02-27-2016, 04:07 AM
No one cares.
MANY people clearly care, but evidently no one KNOWS

It's just north of $15 million for a DE: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636218/article/estimated-2016-franchise-tag-figures

While we won't have an exact figure until after the salary cap is officially set, we do have a guesstimation.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion. The best part was explaining HOW the figure's determined (which neither you nor your link did.) Wait, no:

The BEST part's that I openly admitted ignorance and sincerely requested clarification but you STILL respond with the bitchy self-righteousness indignation of a tween losing her iPhone for missing curfew—and the gall to be SMUG about it. Since we're sharing useful links, maybe this one (http://www.girlshealth.gov/body/period/) will help you feel better. :)

MOtorboat
02-27-2016, 04:25 AM
MANY people clearly care, but evidently no one KNOWS

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. The best part was explaining HOW the figure's determined (which neither you nor your link did.) Wait, no:

The BEST part's that I openly admitted ignorance and sincerely requested clarification but you STILL respond with the bitchy self-righteousness indignation of a tween losing her iPhone for missing curfew—and the gall to be SMUG about it. Since we're sharing useful links, maybe this one (http://www.girlshealth.gov/body/period/) will help you feel better. :)

I didn't know. It was a little bit of logic based on last year's number and a five second Google search.

For someone as smart as you, you'd think you'd exhaust those two options before writing 10,000 words about it. Not only did you waste our time, you wasted your own. Just think. You could have spent that ridiculous amount of time you spent contemplating that and trying to figure it out with your mother.

MOtorboat
02-27-2016, 04:31 AM
So no one else wastes that much time, here are the "estimated", but extremely close figures for the cap at each position:

Quarterback: $19.6 million ($17.5 million)
Defensive end: $15.4 million ($12.5 million)
Wide Receiver: $14.4 million ($12.0 million)
Linebacker: $14.0 million ($11.7 million)
Cornerback: $13.7 million ($11.7 million)
Offensive line: $13.5 million ($11.7 million)
Defensive tackle: $13.4 million ($10.7 million)
Running back: $11.5 million ($9.5 million)
Safety: $10.6 million ($9.0 million)
Tight End: $9.0 million ($7.6 million)
Kicker/Punter: $4.5 million ($4.0 million)

Ravage!!!
02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Not to mention, no matter HOW much time we spend trying to ffigure it out, it's not our job to know the numbers. We won't have a single thing to do with it.

They STILL aren't going to listen to your suggestions.

Cugel
02-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Please tell me what you did then, because when I 1) cut Manning, 2) restructure Clady for the max and 3) re-sign Von for $100M/5 yrs I end up with a little over just under $13½M in cap space: How do I give Oz most or all of that AND $10-11M/yr more to Jackson AND re-sign everyone but Trevathan, Jackson and Mathis (Davis isn't a starter)? To say nothing of the many vital roleplayer FAs or this years draft class.

I'm not going to spend the time it would take to make it all balance, because the exercise is worthless. Too many assumptions.

The one thing I would suggest is that there's no way Von Miller's salary cap hit for 2016 is going to be anything like $20 M. He's going to get a YUUUGE signing bonus. How big do you ask? Nobody knows. But Justin Houston's contract was a floor, we can safely assume Von will get more $, so it's worth comparing:

Justin Houston signed a 6 year, $101,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $20,500,000 signing bonus, $52,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,833,333. The deal includes $32.5 million in upfront guarantees, consisting of his signing bonus, 2015 salary, and $11 million of his 2016 salary. An additional $3 million of 2016 salary plus $6.75M of his 2017 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2016. $6.75M more of his 2017 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2017.

But, here's the details of interest:

Houston got a $20,500,000 signing bonus, so his 2015 salary looked like this:

Base salary: $1M. Pro-rated signing bonus: $4.1M. Cap hit for 2015: $5.1 M.

Now, his cap hit for 2016 goes up to $19.1M because his base salary is $14.9M.

But, the point is this: the Broncos can structure Von's deal in any way they like, so that his cap hit this season probably won't exceed $10M total. He won't care because what matters to him is the guaranteed money. The more signing bonus he gets, the better he likes it.

I would not be at all surprised to see a $25M or even $30M signing bonus, which would mean a cap hit of $5M a year in 2016. Add his salary and his total cap hit might not exceed $10M, even though he's getting paid something like $25M in cash for 2016.

The only problem for the Broncos would be to afford the cash out of their operating budget.

But, it would be a lot better for the team to give Von $25-30 M up front, since once you guarantee any amount, and he's almost sure to get something over $60M in guaranteed $, it doesn't matter when you pay it and paying it up-front helps the cap.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2016, 03:26 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — The challenge mocks dominance.

The New England Patriots were the last team to win back-to-back Super Bowls in the 2003-2004 seasons. Since then, the defending champions have posted a 2-6 postseason record and missed the playoffs four times.

Into this maze step the Broncos. If winning was a grind, repeating is the equivalent of climbing Long's Peak in Crocs. Like every champ in a salary cap sport, the Broncos face difficult roster decisions.

But winning has created a weird reaction. The Broncos players have closeness that inspires selflless behavior. It started with cornerback Chris Harris in the final days of the 2014 season. He took a team-friendly team deal to stay, a contract that continues to grow in significance. Last offseason, Peyton Manning, if reluctantly, accepted a $4 million paycut. Punter Britton Colquitt, arguably the offensive MVP in the Super Bowl, followed suit in training camp. Defensive end Derek Wolfe accepted a fair deal before the playoffs, resisting the temptation to test the market.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29568030/broncos-repeat-feat-begins-keeping-core-signing-von

TXBRONC
02-27-2016, 03:42 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29568030/broncos-repeat-feat-begins-keeping-core-signing-von

I had thought about it before but Elway never lost a player he has targeted.

VonDoom
02-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Looks like that optimism about getting a deal done with Von was overstated (and all that talk of who we would tag was ultimately irrelevant):

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 37m37 minutes ago

Von Miller not expected to reach long-term deal before Tues deadline for franchise tags, per source close to talks. Miller then franchised.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 33m33 minutes ago

Once Denver uses franchise tag on Von Miller, QB Brock Osweiler and DE Malik Jackson then would be poised to hit free-agent market.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 30m30 minutes ago

#broncos got off to good start in Von Miller contract talks but still difficult to finish before Tues. Will then place franchise tag on him

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Star linebacker Von Miller is not expected to reach a long-term deal with the Denver Broncos before Tuesday's deadline for teams to use franchise tags, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If no deal is reached, Miller would get the Broncos' franchise tag.

Teams can designate one franchise player and that player, if he signs the tendered offer, earns a one-year guaranteed salary that is the average of the top players at his position. For a linebacker like Miller that will be $14.129 million for 2016.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14859869/von-miller-denver-broncos-unlikely-strike-long-term-deal-tuesday-deadline

Northman
02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
It is what it is but Von is priority one.

MOtorboat
02-27-2016, 07:14 PM
I don't think that's all that surprising. The minute it was floated that he would be tagged it was likely to go past this point.

VonDoom
02-27-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't think that's all that surprising. The minute it was floated that he would be tagged it was likely to go past this point.

Yeah, it seemed too good to be true. I just thought it was possible given the earlier reports

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2016, 08:26 PM
They would have to tag him as a DE. It's the same argument Graham used a few years ago when NO tried to tag him as a TE. Miller would just have to show he lines up on the edge more than 50% of his snaps.

VonDoom
02-27-2016, 08:33 PM
They would have to tag him as a DE. It's the same argument Graham used a few years ago when NO tried to tag him as a TE. Miller would just have to show he lines up on the edge more than 50% of his snaps.

I don't think so. Everything I've read so far indicates that he'll be tagged as a LB, which is the $14.1 million figure going around.

Graham tried to make his case as a WR and lost.

Joel
02-27-2016, 10:42 PM
I don't think so. Everything I've read so far indicates that he'll be tagged as a LB, which is the $14.1 million figure going around.

Yeah, that just doesn't make sense: You are what you are. A majority (albeit a slim one) of NFL teams run a 3-4, so OLBs are primarily edge rushers now anyway. The problem (as I understand it) is that the NFL doesn't have separate OLB/ILB tags; good news for guys like Trevathan and Marshall, but bad for guys like Von and Ware.

dogfish
02-28-2016, 12:35 AM

it obviously depends on whether we were in nickel more than 50% of the snaps that von played. . . but ultimately, if they plan to sign a deal from under the tag, they may not bother to contest it. . .

Joel
02-28-2016, 02:27 AM
I didn't know. It was a little bit of logic based on last year's number and a five second Google search.
Great—except it still didn't answer the question. But, again, thanks for someone elses guesstimate of their own unstated answer; really informative.

For someone as smart as you, you'd think you'd exhaust those two options before writing 10,000 words about it. Not only did you waste our time, you wasted your own. Just think. You could have spent that ridiculous amount of time you spent contemplating that and trying to figure it out with your mother.
Instead of expecting you to provide more concrete facts than snark, what I and everyone should've done was take 5 second to google "NFL CBA+franchise tag" to find out how it's ACTUALLY CALCULATED. Here's what that gets us (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/):

Under prior labor deals, the non-exclusive franchise tag was determined by calculating the average of the five highest-paid players at each position from the prior year. Under the 2011 CBA, the franchise tenders come from a more complex procedure.Under Article 10, Section 2 of the CBA, the number is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position.

So it’s no longer driven by what players at the same position made in the prior season, but by the average cap percentage consumed by the franchise tender over five years. Then, that percentage will be applied to the 2013 salary cap to determine the franchise tender at each position.

Until now, both numbers were decreasingly related, but now that the current CBA's 5 years old the top salaries are no longer even slightly relevant: All that matters is how much cap space the tag ate over the last 5 years. We can't know its precise dollar amount until the new cap's announced, but can PRECISELY know its percentage, which is what's really important anyway. NFL.com cites the CBA verbatim (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82756d1c/article/teams-that-have-used-franchise-tags-on-2012-free-agents):

The Nonexclusive Franchise Tender shall be a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position ... at which the Franchise Player participated in the most plays [formerly, "games"] during the prior League Year, which average shall be calculated by: (1) summing the amounts of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the five preceding League Years; (2) dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the Salary Caps for the five preceding League Years ...; and (3) multiplying the resulting percentage by the Salary Cap for the upcoming League Year ... (the "Cap Percentage Average") ...; or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater....

It's not as simple as you make it sound (surprise, surprise) but not hard either:

NFL Cap
2015: $143.28M (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12408402/nfl-informs-teams-2015-salary-cap-14328-million)
2014: $133M (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/28/franchise-tag-numbers-for-2014-are-set/)
2013: $123M (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331237/article/salary-cap-rise-to-133-million-shows-how-new-cba-is-working)
2012: $120.6M (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331237/article/salary-cap-rise-to-133-million-shows-how-new-cba-is-working)
2011: $120M (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331237/article/salary-cap-rise-to-133-million-shows-how-new-cba-is-working)

Franchise Tag (LB)
2015: $13.195M (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12408402/nfl-informs-teams-2015-salary-cap-14328-million) (9.21%)
2014: $11.455M (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/28/franchise-tag-numbers-for-2014-are-set/) (8.6%)
2013: $9.619M (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9003198/nfl-sets-franchise-transition-tags) (7.8%)
2012: $8.84M (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/16/2012-nfl-franchise-players/) (7.3%)
2011: $10.1M (https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/lower-numbers-could-lead-to-record-franchise-tag-designations?urn=nfl,wp19121) (8.4%)

Franchise Tag (DE)
2015: $14.813M (10.34%)
2014: $13.116M (9.86%)
2013: $11.175M (9.09%)
2012: $10.6M (8.79%)
2011: $13M (10.83%)

From that we can calculate the cap percentage of 2016 tags: 8.32% for LBs, 9.80% for DEs. That is, for the first time since the new CBA took effect, a SMALLER share of cap (because the uncapped 2010 season that was so disastrous for owners finally drops off the ledger, to the relief of GMs everywhere.)

With that in mind, I can't help wondering if 2016s cap will be as high as the $155.27M Ian rapoported Friday (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620056-2016-nfl-salary-cap-reportedly-set-latest-details-comments-and-reaction); teams no longer need lots of extra cap space to cover uncapped 2010s effect on tags. The curious thing is that, if that IS the final cap, LBs will be franchise tagged at LESS total money than last year but DEs MORE (i.e. from $13.1M to 12.9M for LBs, but from $14.8M to $15.2M for DEs.) No wonder Von wants to be tagged as a DE or not at all.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2016, 02:33 AM

I see, I remembered wrong. I thought Graham won.

MOtorboat
02-28-2016, 03:38 AM
All that time, and it's probably wrong.

:tsk:

In case you have Joel on ignore or just want to skip the spam, here are the numbers:

No one cares.

Joel
02-28-2016, 05:19 AM
All that time, and it's probably wrong.
Why don't you do your own homework and find out one way or the other? I even provided links to 1) precise and verified figures in EACH case (i.e. not self-confessed "guesstimates,") and 2) the actual CBA definition of how the tag's calculated (i.e. not ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.) "It only took me 5 seconds and logic to find someone elses unverified guess instead of using the CBA, salary histories and my brain to actually find out wtf I'm talking about instead of taking a strangers word."

Your CPA must love you: He'll be in the Bahamas on your nickel while you're in Leavenworth. ;) Remember to cuss out the warden, call him a whiny bitch, tell him how smart you are and dumb he is, then top it off with "and you're condescending, too." :rolleyes:

:tsk:
Indeed: That should be your sig.

In case you have Joel on ignore or just want to skip the spam, here are the numbers:
No, here are the GUESSTIMATES; don't you even read your OWN links? :tsk:

VonDoom
02-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reports that Trevathan is “high on the Falcons’ radar” heading into free agency. The Falcons’ defensive coordinator Richard Smith was previously the Broncos’ linebackers coach. Atlanta has an opening in the linebacker corps after releasing Justin Durant earlier this month and a need for more playmakers on defense even when Durant was still on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/29/report-danny-trevathan-high-on-falcons-radar/

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 11:24 AM
I hate to see Danny leave. I read that he is also high on Chicago's radar.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis Feb 28

Talks between Broncos and Von Miller are ongoing. They got much work to do before Tuesday tag deadline but they're talking. #9news #9sports

VonDoom
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
NFLPA confirms salary cap and franchise tag amounts:

https://www.nflpa.com/news/all-news/nflpa-confirms-2016-salary-cap-and-tag-numbers

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 4m4 minutes ago

#Broncos have officially placed the exclusive franchise tag on OLB Von Miller. He will be a Bronco in 2016. They'll still talk long term.

LTC Pain
03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
This story by Scott Payne of Mile High Report today indicates Oz and Jackson are expected to hit the FA market.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/1/11140910/report-quarterback-brock-osweiler-and-defensive-end-malik-jackson

Ravage!!!
03-01-2016, 02:35 PM
We simply might be letting Brock find what the market value is.

Northman
03-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Sucks about Brock but its a difficult position for Denver to be in. There just isnt enough there to warrant blowing their wad on him at this point in time. Im glad Elway made his statement and was honest about where they are at with Brock. But, if Brock can cash in somewhere else cant really blame him there either. Tough position to be in if you are Denver.

Buff
03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
All of a sudden it looks to be at least possible that Brock could walk and Manning could return. I think Brock's agent correctly wants to explore/exploit a QB market that is devoid of talent. And Elway correctly doesn't want to overpay in an unfavorable market...

I think Elway also believes that he has Manning in his back pocket for next year if he needs him, and also probably believes that Kubiak can work with Trevor Siemian and/or another QB and get similar production that Brock had this year in the short-to-medium term. Elway had a couple of revealing comments in his press conference, one about "we can't afford to lose both guys" - which tells me that they are considering scenarios with both QBs next year - and the other about how he and Manning are having a couple of meetings as they did last year when they reworked his contract.

All that said, I think we still want to sign Brock, but it's looking like Brock and his agent believe that there will be better offers to be had from other teams. And we're not ready to anoint him as the QB of the future here. So it could be where he goes and gets a nice offer that we can't afford to match, Manning comes back for one more year, and we try to find another QB to groom not named Brock.

underrated29
03-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Brock will be back. i cant see him not wanting to be on this team. This team is the ideal place for a qb. no backup to compete with. loaded roster on both sides. attention to oline this year

Northman
03-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Brock will be back. i cant see him not wanting to be on this team. This team is the ideal place for a qb. no backup to compete with. loaded roster on both sides. attention to oline this year

That would be the ideal situation for him and the logical one, but money is also a factor and if he can cash in now from someone he may do it.

dogfish
03-01-2016, 03:46 PM
All of a sudden it looks to be at least possible that Brock could walk and Manning could return. I think Brock's agent correctly wants to explore/exploit a QB market that is devoid of talent. And Elway correctly doesn't want to overpay in an unfavorable market...

I think Elway also believes that he has Manning in his back pocket for next year if he needs him, and also probably believes that Kubiak can work with Trevor Siemian and/or another QB and get similar production that Brock had this year in the short-to-medium term. Elway had a couple of revealing comments in his press conference, one about "we can't afford to lose both guys" - which tells me that they are considering scenarios with both QBs next year - and the other about how he and Manning are having a couple of meetings as they did last year when they reworked his contract.

All that said, I think we still want to sign Brock, but it's looking like Brock and his agent believe that there will be better offers to be had from other teams. And we're not ready to anoint him as the QB of the future here. So it could be where he goes and gets a nice offer that we can't afford to match, Manning comes back for one more year, and we try to find another QB to groom not named Brock.

:doh:

NightTerror218
03-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Elway knows the value of a QB. He knows how important the position. He knows there are many high price players with 2 yrs or less on team built for SB run.

I doubt he starts a rookie. He may push hard at end of week to sign brock. I don't see Elway rolling dice at this position. Draft is never a guarentee and FA sucks.

Ravage!!!
03-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Brock will be signed by Denver. Elway is letting Brock find the market price. Elway will counter with a fair, but reasonable, offer after they have tested. Brock isn't going anywhere, and Denver isn't bringing Manning back.

Just mark it down now. Anyone want any other 'give me' advice and/or statements? Don't ask for lottyr numbers, I'm saving those for myself.

NightTerror218
03-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Breaking news Sam bradford resigned with eagles. No contract details yet, 2 year contract.

Market may have just been set for QBs.

Edit: 2 year, $36 M and $26M guarentees.

dogfish
03-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Breaking news Sam bradford resigned with eagles. No contract details yet, 2 year contract.

Market may have just been set for QBs.

via PFT;

No financial terms of the deal have been announced, but Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the deal is for $36 million and includes $26 million guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/eagles-sam-bradford-agree-to-two-year-contract/

NightTerror218
03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
via PFT;

Just updated my post, you are quick

dogfish
03-01-2016, 04:31 PM
if that's the market for QBs, we may be in a bit of trouble here. . .

:eek:

Northman
03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
That maybe the market for guys with the kind of experience that Bradford has but i highly doubt a guy with 7 starts will command that much.

NightTerror218

Bradford is upper tier QB when healthy. He should be paid more but this will hurt broncos for sure. Depending on how guarentees work out and what they are and how reachable, my guess is that are performance ones like pro bowl and playoff related and most of this year guarenteed to protects phili if he gets injured.

Ravage!!!

Not really. That's really just a 13 mill per season deal, that could be 18 per year. But Bradford has been in the league for a lot longer. I think this shows that we'll be getting Brock at the right price point.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Bradford is upper tier QB when healthy. He should be paid more but this will hurt broncos for sure. Depending on how guarentees work out and what they are and how reachable, my guess is that are performance ones like pro bowl and playoff related and most of this year guarenteed to protects phili if he gets injured.

Bradford was healthy last year and he was decidedly average. To put it another way:

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 8m8 minutes ago

Combined w/$78M rookie contract, Bradford will have made $114M through 9 seasons after new 2-yr @Eagles deal.25-37-1 as starter. No playoffs

Buff
03-01-2016, 04:35 PM

Elway knows the value of a QB. He knows how important the position. He knows there are many high price players with 2 yrs or less on team built for SB run.

I doubt he starts a rookie. He may push hard at end of week to sign brock. I don't see Elway rolling dice at this position. Draft is never a guarentee and FA sucks.

Brock will be signed by Denver. Elway is letting Brock find the market price. Elway will counter with a fair, but reasonable, offer after they have tested. Brock isn't going anywhere, and Denver isn't bringing Manning back.

Just mark it down now. Anyone want any other 'give me' advice and/or statements? Don't ask for lottyr numbers, I'm saving those for myself.

Yes - this was my prevailing thought and conventional wisdom before today - but those thoughts are shifting rapidly with Von's tag, and now an $18mil/yr deal signed by Bradford.

I still think it's more likely than not that we sign Brock, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion like I did last week.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Not really. That's really just a 13 mill per season deal, that could be 18 per year. But Bradford has been in the league for a lot longer. I think this shows that we'll be getting Brock at the right price point.

But he'll (presumably) get $18 million this year (all guaranteed) with $8 million of the $18 million in 2017 guaranteed. That leaves wiggle room for an extension if he's good (or a big dead money hit if he bombs). Since it's a short term deal, I think it's likely he sees the whole $36 million.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Yes - this was my prevailing thought and conventional wisdom before today - but those thoughts are shifting rapidly with Von's tag, and now an $18mil/yr deal signed by Bradford.

I still think it's more likely than not that we sign Brock, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion like I did last week.

I don't think Von's tag has any effect on Osweiler, since I never thought he was being tagged anyway.

On the other hand, Cousins getting the tag and Bradford getting overpaid has shaken my confidence slightly in Brock signing a team friendly deal. This is really the first time I haven't been 100% confident that we get it done with him.

NightTerror218
03-01-2016, 04:41 PM
But he'll (presumably) get $18 million this year (all guaranteed) with $8 million of the $18 million in 2017 guaranteed. That leaves wiggle room for an extension if he's good (or a big dead money hit if he bombs). Since it's a short term deal, I think it's likely he sees the whole $36 million.

Unless injury Claus and hence bigger guarenteed number. If injured he could be released from contract with no cap hit.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Unless injury Claus and hence bigger guarenteed number. If injured he could be released from contract with no cap hit.

True, it might not be fully guaranteed. We'll have to see. Still higher than I thought he'd get.