PDA

View Full Version : I **CANNOT** believe I'm going to say this but...

The Glue Factory
02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Thank you Josh McDaniels.

Oh dear Lord Almighty, I wanna puke!
But because of his dismantling of the Broncos leading to our sub 5 win season (and the last team in the NFL to do so, I might add) we then drafted SB50 MVP Von Miller.

And that's all the gratitude he'll ever get from me, may he rot as the Cheatriots* OC for all eternity.
Ahhhhh, starting to feel better already.

weazel
02-08-2016, 10:42 AM
**** mcdaniels

Northman
02-08-2016, 11:32 AM
McDaniels didnt do squat. Eventually John Elway would of made his way to Denver anyway, McD was just a speed bump to destiny.

Joel
02-08-2016, 02:11 PM
McDaniels didnt do squat. Eventually John Elway would of made his way to Denver anyway, McD was just a speed bump to destiny.
Yes, but if he hadn't made it home THAT year, in THOSE circumstances, we wouldn't have had the #2 overall pick to spend on Von Miller. That's a textbook example of why a team with NOTHING shouldn't try to fill just a specific ONE of all 22 holes when it has access to elite talent it sorely lacks: We had our choice of The Best Not-Cam Newton Available. 8 of the first 10 and 12 of the first 16 players in the 2011 draft are Pro Bowlers.

Now, AFTER that, only THREE of the remaining 16 1st round picks are Pro Bowlers; if you're drafting THERE, fill a need with the Best Player LEFT. But when you're SO bad you have a top 3 pick you MUST get the elite talent that pick enables, and Elway did. From that class, the only one available at #2 who I MIGHT put on Vons level is Watt. There's many other elite talents (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, and we could sure use Tyron Smith now) but none on par with Miller.

It takes a 4-12 season to put a guy like that in reach though: A dozen teams will NEVER pass on a guy like that. So, in a way, McDumbass made it possible.

ELWAY made it HAPPEN though.

The Glue Factory
02-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Yes, but if he hadn't made it home THAT year, in THOSE circumstances, we wouldn't have had the #2 overall pick to spend on Von Miller. That's a textbook example of why a team with NOTHING shouldn't try to fill just a specific ONE of all 22 holes when it has access to elite talent it sorely lacks: We had our choice of The Best Not-Cam Newton Available. 8 of the first 10 and 12 of the first 16 players in the 2011 draft are Pro Bowlers.

Now, AFTER that, only THREE of the remaining 16 1st round picks are Pro Bowlers; if you're drafting THERE, fill a need with the Best Player LEFT. But when you're SO bad you have a top 3 pick you MUST get the elite talent that pick enables, and Elway did. From that class, the only one available at #2 who I MIGHT put on Vons level is Watt. There's many other elite talents (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, and we could sure use Tyron Smith now) but none on par with Miller.

It takes a 4-12 season to put a guy like that in reach though: A dozen teams will NEVER pass on a guy like that. So, in a way, McDumbass made it possible.

ELWAY made it HAPPEN though.

I have absolutely no doubt that McDouchebag would have squandered THAT gift horse somehow. Thank God Almighty that Bowlen canned the Boy Blunder when he did!

DenBronx
02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
No, Elway cleaned up the big fat mess.

The Glue Factory
02-08-2016, 05:04 PM

But THAT started with Bowlen s**tcanning McNumbnuts first. Good thing Elway and Bowlen were co-owners of the Crush.

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Love me some McDaniels.

artie_dale
02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
thank you josh mcdaniels.

Oh dear lord almighty, i wanna puke!
But because of his dismantling of the broncos leading to our sub 5 win season (and the last team in the nfl to do so, i might add) we then drafted sb50 mvp von miller.

And that's all the gratitude he'll ever get from me, may he rot as the cheatriots* oc for all eternity.
Ahhhhh, starting to feel better already.

bgf, get off mcdaniel's balls, will ya!

I Eat Staples
02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
It's a good example of why tanking is the best strategy to build a winner in the NFL. But of course, McDaniels wasn't TRYING to tank lol

gregbroncs
02-08-2016, 06:18 PM
It's a good example of why tanking is the best strategy to build a winner in the NFL. But of course, McDaniels wasn't TRYING to tank lolI don't believe for a second that Tanking actually works in the NFL. Now the NBA is a different story.

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 06:26 PM
I don't believe for a second that Tanking actually works in the NFL. Now the NBA is a different story.

It's yet to actually work in the NBA, though. Plenty of teams doing it, but none of them have risen that high in the following years. The Astros are the only real example of it working. They tanked about four years ago for a two year period and made the playoffs last year.

DenBronx
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM

But THAT started with Bowlen s**tcanning McNumbnuts first. Good thing Elway and Bowlen were co-owners of the Crush.

Bowlen had years to make changes, it wasn't until Elway came BACK to the Broncos that things changed for the better. I still am going to credit Elway for building this team.

Heck just look at one solo move Elway made. He hired Wade Phillips that was out of football the whole year prior.

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Its true without mcdaniels and that horrible season we dont have von miller.

gregbroncs
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
It's yet to actually work in the NBA, though. Plenty of teams doing it, but none of them have risen that high in the following years. The Astros are the only real example of it working. They tanked about four years ago for a two year period and made the playoffs last year.The Spurs tanked and ended up with Duncan. That's the only example of it working I can think of.

I Eat Staples
02-08-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't believe for a second that Tanking actually works in the NFL. Now the NBA is a different story.

The two teams that just played in the Superbowl had the 1st and 2nd pick in the 2011 draft. Not that they intentionally tanked in order to get it, but there's no doubt that having high picks significantly increases your chance of contending. Going 2-14 is a lot better than going 6-10.

gregbroncs
02-08-2016, 06:46 PM
The two teams that just played in the Superbowl had the 1st and 2nd pick in the 2011 draft. Not that they intentionally tanked in order to get it, but there's no doubt that having high picks significantly increases your chance of contending. Going 2-14 is a lot better than going 6-10.I think that's a huge coincidence. And it took 5 years to show results. Most teams have a top pick somewhere on their roster.

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 06:47 PM
The Spurs tanked and ended up with Duncan. That's the only example of it working I can think of.

I don't think you can really use that considering they had Robinson and Elliott and they just got hurt. It wasn't really on purpose.

I Eat Staples
02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
I think that's a huge coincidence. And it took 5 years to show results. Most teams have a top pick somewhere on their roster.

Players usually take a while to develop in the NFL, and 3-5 years is pretty much how long it takes to build around a superstar anyway. Denver was sort of a unique case in that we signed Peyton, but does anyone think we're a Superbowl team without Von? Obviously Carolina is nothing without Cam.

Sometimes you get lucky in the draft and sometimes you get unlucky, but if you want a Cam, a Von, a Luck, you're probably going to have to tank.

gregbroncs
02-08-2016, 06:56 PM
I don't think you can really use that considering they had Robinson and Elliott and they just got hurt. It wasn't really on purpose.They sat Robinson for the last 20 games or so when he was healthy enough to play, because they were out of it. Not playing him was a decision they made to increase their chances at improving through the draft, and because it wouldn't make a difference in their chances of making the playoffs.

gregbroncs
02-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Players usually take a while to develop in the NFL, and 3-5 years is pretty much how long it takes to build around a superstar anyway. Denver was sort of a unique case in that we signed Peyton, but does anyone think we're a Superbowl team without Von? Obviously Carolina is nothing without Cam.

Sometimes you get lucky in the draft and sometimes you get unlucky, but if you want a Cam, a Von, a Luck, you're probably going to have to tank.But how many time have teams with the top 1st round picks never gone anywhere with them? How many times did that early picked player become that guy? How many times does a team like the Patriots win without that guy? I just don't think tanking in the NFL works or is the way to go. Who on last years teams were the guys those teams tanked for? And did they make as big of an impact as these 2 guys? Like I said I think it's a coincidence.