PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to use tag on LB Von Miller if no long-term deal reached

Denver Native (Carol)
02-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Unless the two sides can reach a long-term deal in the next month, the Denver Broncos will use their franchise tag on Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller, according to league sources.

Tagging Miller will create other contractual issues for the Broncos -- most notably, it would prevent the team from retaining quarterback Brock Osweiler unless it signs him to a long-term extension.

Miller was the No. 2 overall pick of the 2011 draft, picked one slot after Carolina QB Cam Newton, whom the Broncos face in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday. It will mark the first Super Bowl in which the players selected with the first two picks of the same draft will face each other.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14731952/denver-broncos-use-franchise-tag-lb-von-miller-no-long-term-deal-reached

DenBronx
02-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Of course, he's our biggest priority this offseason.

MOtorboat
02-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Pretty obvious.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-07-2016, 12:12 PM
No surprise got to keep him

7DnBrnc53
02-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Von and Brock are our first priorities. Keep them, and we are in business.

OrangeHoof
02-07-2016, 10:15 PM
He's certainly made the case this post-season. If Von is not the Super Bowl MVP, they watched another sport than I was watching.

Joel
02-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Apparently Von Miller runs the "5-yard dash" faster than Antonio Brown (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14737811), and still runs almost 10 mph even while blocked by a guy 50 lbs. heavier.

JUST PAY HIM, ELWAY! The price will only climb in 2017, he'll have fewer good years left and it's not like the tag's cheap anyway. Plus: He's EARNED it.

Tned
02-08-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure they would tag Osweiler anyway. That would put Osweiler in some pretty lofty company in terms of pay, even if for only one year. Seems like they either work out a deal or go another way in the QB hunt.

Joel
02-08-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure they would tag Osweiler anyway. That would put Osweiler in some pretty lofty company in terms of pay, even if for only one year. Seems like they either work out a deal or go another way in the QB hunt.
NOT getting into THAT again. ;) At this point, I just hope they work out a deal with Von Miller now regardless, because all the tag does is expensively postpone a contract that will only cost MORE in 2017. I realize we have Oz and other guys to fit under THIS years cap, but, long term, tagging Von only costs MORE money, with fewer elite years at the end. He turns 27 in a little over a month: With a 5 year deal now he'd be 31 by the end, but do it in 2017 we'd be paying till he's 32. Ware's only 2 years younger now, but his back's been so bad so long he may retire with Manning.

Just PAY him: He's earned it, will keep earning it for a while and you want him WITH rather than AGAINST you in the regular season and playoffs. How much 2017 cap space are we willing to give up to have ~$5 million more in 2016...?

MOtorboat
02-08-2016, 11:34 AM
They aren't going to pay Osweiler top 5 quarterback money. That's 20 million next year. That's not going to happen.

Cugel
02-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Pretty obvious.

I can't believe people argued with me on these boards when I said this. Plain as daylight.

Cugel
02-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Apparently Von Miller runs the "5-yard dash" faster than Antonio Brown (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14737811), and still runs almost 10 mph even while blocked by a guy 50 lbs. heavier.

JUST PAY HIM, ELWAY! The price will only climb in 2017, he'll have fewer good years left and it's not like the tag's cheap anyway. Plus: He's EARNED it.

They're going to franchise him and then negotiate during the off-season. They are not going to try and force him to play under the franchise tag contract, because that would make his cap hit around $15 M a year and he'd be wildly unhappy.

They can negotiate a more cap friendly deal (but with a lot more guarantees) and bring his cap # down to maybe $10 M. The question is whether they can free up enough cash up front.

It will take a lot of work by their cap guys to get Malik Jackson, Von Miller, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall, and Brock Osweiler all re-negotiated.

And that is just the beginning: Omar Bolden, David Bruton, Ronnie Hillman, Todd Davis, there are a lot more FAs. Some will leave: Vernon Davis, Evan Mathis.

And some they will need to consider re-signing before they become FAs in 2017, like Sylvester Williams.

Cugel
02-08-2016, 12:00 PM
They aren't going to pay Osweiler top 5 quarterback money. That's 20 million next year. That's not going to happen.

Troy Rank, the Broncos Insider just said this morning that the contract amount should be in the $12-15 M a year range, which is about the NFL average. That won't be the problem, since they will have Peyton Manning's $15 M to give Osweiler and even come out somewhat ahead.

But, resigning Malik Jackson is going to be very hard, even with cap savings from Vernon Davis ($4 M), Ryan Clady (some of his $10 M), and Evan Mathis ($4 M) as well.

Oh, and I forgot that C Matt Paradis is an exclusive rights FA too. He wasn't great but they probably want to keep him.

Buff
02-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Cugel - I want to hear you say "John Elway was right and I was wrong" about the Joe Thomas non-trade. Say it! :D

Northman
02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Cugel - I want to hear you say "John Elway was right and I was wrong" about the Joe Thomas non-trade. Say it! :D

Oh shit, i forgot about that. Lol

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
All our FA just got a raise because teams will go after them hard and over pay. Always happens.

SR
02-08-2016, 01:40 PM

I still think they should've sent a first and Barrett to Cleveland for Joe Thomas.

CoachChaz
02-08-2016, 02:41 PM
I still think they should've sent a first and Barrett to Cleveland for Joe Thomas.

Yeah. Wont be getting anything at #31 that will replicate that value.

Slick
02-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Not Barrett. Especially if Ware isn't coming back. 1st and a 3rd would have been fine with me.

CoachChaz
02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Not Barrett. Especially if Ware isn't coming back. 1st and a 3rd would have been fine with me.

Ray is next in line

underrated29
02-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Ray is next in line

Im not so sure about Ray. When I have watched him he is good but not great. He has hussel but he gets beat on containment all the time. He also only has a bullrush type skill. He does not yet have the dip move that Von and Ware do. His swim and such is just average to me. Dont get me wrong I think he is good, but I think Barrett is actually better than he at this point imo.

Joel
02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Yeah, OK, if we're just talking about some kind of "temp" or "quasi" tag to keep other teams away, but finalizing a deal before Opening Day, fine.

Troy Rank, the Broncos Insider just said this morning that the contract amount should be in the $12-15 M a year range, which is about the NFL average. That won't be the problem, since they will have Peyton Manning's $15 M to give Osweiler and even come out somewhat ahead.

But, resigning Malik Jackson is going to be very hard, even with cap savings from Vernon Davis ($4 M), Ryan Clady (some of his $10 M), and Evan Mathis ($4 M) as well.

Oh, and I forgot that C Matt Paradis is an exclusive rights FA too. He wasn't great but they probably want to keep him.
There's no "cap savings" from guys who aren't under contract anyway. We may want to keep Davis as a backup Owen Daniels, since we traded next to nothing for him and he's DONE nothing to raise that value. But we do still have Daniels (unless HE calls it a career) plus Green and a 3rd round rookie, so maybe not.

Until we know what Manning, Ware and Clady are doing we CAN'T know our options, because that's $40 mil for just three guys (maybe more, if Daniels retires.)

CoachChaz
02-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Im not so sure about Ray. When I have watched him he is good but not great. He has hussel but he gets beat on containment all the time. He also only has a bullrush type skill. He does not yet have the dip move that Von and Ware do. His swim and such is just average to me. Dont get me wrong I think he is good, but I think Barrett is actually better than he at this point imo.

In all honesty, I think it ends up a regular rotation either way...just like this year. A lot depends on Ware. I'm ok with him and Ray on the weakside and Von and Shaq on the strong side

dogfish
02-08-2016, 03:24 PM
i think they'll get a deal worked out-- it just makes sense. . .

Miller said he loves the offense, the defense, the coaches and everyone in Denver. Miller also singled out John Elway and said he’s confident that they’ll come to an agreement on a new contract this offseason. Miller said any reports that there will be difficult negotiations are false.

“It’s going to be a peaceful thing. I’m not really worried about it. That’s another thing that the media tries to play up,” Miller said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/08/von-values-a-super-bowl-ring-over-the-mvp-award/#comments

Joel
02-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Ray is next in line
So who's next in line when Miller or Ray are tired/hurt? McCray? Our D wouldn't have been NEARLY as effective (i.e. probably not carried us to and won a SB) without Barrett AND Ray solidly spelling Miller and Ware all season, especially when Wares back started acting up again.

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 03:36 PM
So who's next in line when Miller or Ray are tired/hurt? McCray? Our D wouldn't have been NEARLY as effective (i.e. probably not carried us to and won a SB) without Barrett AND Ray solidly spelling Miller and Ware all season, especially when Wares back started acting up again.

Called the draft. Keep getting the best available players since we are solid on depth at most positions.

Joel
02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Called the draft. Keep getting the best available players since we are solid on depth at most positions.
Maybe on D, and I'm worried about the size of our backup ILBs there (plus I expect Jackson and probably Trevathan to get paid elsewhere.) But our line's still very iffy, and even if Clady and Sambrailo come back gang busters there's not much depth (Harris would make a good swing tackle though; that's kind of his thing.) We still don't have a legit #2 WR, or lack a slot WR if Sanders is just going to be the guy opposite DT now. But the biggest problem:

You can't draft the Best Player Available at #32, because HE ISN'T. Even the 20th best is long gone; a few scouts may miss him, but not a DOZEN NFL teams making their living off spotting top talent. But every draft's deeper some places, where it still has quality players at #32: TAKE ONE who fills one of the few needs we MUST fill to stay in contention. Because unless we trade up, we won't get elite talent until/unless we collapse, find a draft class or the ages, or 30 scout squads screw up.

Regardless, 3-4s need GOOD depth behind their starting OLBs; we'd have been lucky to make the playoffs without Barrett AND Ray spelling Miller AND Ware frequently this year. We can't just hope to find that in the draft, especially since we DO have other (i.e. higher priority) STARTER needs.

Nomad
02-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Watching the highlights of Von....he reminds me of a pitbull.

NightTerror218
02-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Joel you are rambling again.we just won the SB ffs.

Ziggy
02-08-2016, 04:49 PM

Yeah. Wont be getting anything at #31 that will replicate that value.

We'll see. Barrett has a chance to be an impact player, Thomas has 3 years left max, and the 31st pick could turn out to be a stud as well. Great move by Elway not making the move that everyone wanted him to. Bottom line is.....the Broncos didn't need Joe Thomas to win the big one.

underrated29
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
We'll see. Barrett has a chance to be an impact player, Thomas has 3 years left max, and the 31st pick could turn out to be a stud as well. Great move by Elway not making the move that everyone wanted him to. Bottom line is.....the Broncos didn't need Joe Thomas to win the big one.

Yep and I still suspect we end up trading for Joe T. Elway has wanted him for years. We can probably get him for a better price now too with all the drama in cleveland.

Who knows.

A line with Clady and Ty is soooooo much better than Harris and Schofield on the ends.

Clady, Mad Max, Paradis, Schofield, Ty- add in Joe T, a draft pick or two, maybe a vet FA....And we still have Quadzilla who we signed from Balt that apparanlty we really like but kinda sucks.

Joel
02-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Joel you are rambling again.we just won the SB ffs.
Responding to a statement like "we're solid on depth at most positions" necessarily covers a lot of ground. 53 players, to be precise. And I haven't slept since before the game: Don't point me down rabbit trails if you don't want me to follow them. ;)

Joel
02-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Yep and I still suspect we end up trading for Joe T. Elway has wanted him for years. We can probably get him for a better price now too with all the drama in cleveland.

Who knows.

A line with Clady and Ty is soooooo much better than Harris and Schofield on the ends.

Clady, Mad Max, Paradis, Schofield, Ty- add in Joe T, a draft pick or two, maybe a vet FA....And we still have Quadzilla who we signed from Balt that apparanlty we really like but kinda sucks.
You know, I thought that, based on what was said last offseason, leading up to the trade deadline, and especially end of season, when ESPN had a story about Cleveland wanting cap space and Thomas wanting out of Cleveland. But when I went to double check now Rotoworlds most recent story on Thomas is him saying he wants to stay, in response to Hue Jackson saying he wants to keep him. It's Cleveland though, so wtf knows? Thank God for Mr. Bowlen....

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Hoping it doesn't get to the tag, hoping von keeps his word he said his rookie year. He said he would play for free, so lets hope he takes a deal where he's set for life but is a home town discount

FanInAZ
02-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Being that Miller has a legitimate case to be the highest LB, what other FA LBs might increase his market value by asking for big contracts as well? I strongly suspect that Miller will be the last big name LB to sign so he can maximize the amount he going to ask for.

SR
02-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Hoping it doesn't get to the tag, hoping von keeps his word he said his rookie year. He said he would play for free, so lets hope he takes a deal where he's set for life but is a home town discount

He won't

Yashahla17
02-08-2016, 09:07 PM
You don't know and niether do i.

Davii
02-08-2016, 09:25 PM
You don't know and niether do i.

The second part of this is true in most instances.