PDA

View Full Version : Denver's Wade Phillips Wins Assistant Coach Award

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has won The Associated Press NFL Assistant Coach of the Year award.

Phillips built a defense that ranked first in the league and which is greatly responsible for the Broncos making the Super Bowl. He earned 16 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who regularly cover the league.

The second winner of the honor — current Jets coach Todd Bowles won the inaugural award while defensive coordinator for Arizona last year — Phillips received twice as many votes as the runner-up, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, now head coach of the Browns. Carolina offensive coordinator Mike Shula got seven votes.

Phillips, previously a head coach in Denver, Buffalo and Dallas and interim coach in New Orleans, Atlanta and Houston, was presented the award at NFL Honors on Saturday night.

rest - http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/denvers-wade-phillips-wins-assistant-coach-award-36762576

BroncoBuckeye73
02-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Congratulations Wade a well deserved award for a great season

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
from article in regards to Wade

"He's one of the best guys at getting things and letting you play your game," said inside linebacker Danny Trevathan. "He puts you in the best position possible. He doesn't really yell at you, he makes you feel like it's on you. You want to go out there and play and you don't want to mess up for him. You don't want to mess up for yourself because you feel like you owe him.

"The way he came in was so humble, it was new to me. I'm not used to having a coach sit back and just watch and observe and then talk to you, so I feel like I took more of a ownership and a leadership role with I'm so I appreciate him coming here and giving me that chance to play within the scheme."

full article - very good
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-primesport/Wade-Phillips-named-Assistant-Coach-of-the-Year/a13132b5-47d3-461c-a818-f617cfd31070

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Did not want to start a thread for this, so I thought I would put it here

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 32m

Watt on impact of #Broncos line coach Bill Kollar on career "I probably disliked him as much as anyone my rookie year. Now I am so thankful"

Joel
02-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Well earned indeed. I always love seeing good things happen to Bum or Wade, who has his fathers knack for doing the RIGHT things so good ones happen often.

The ESPN article claiming our D is among the TOP TEN ALL TIME quoted Wade saying that we were essentially #1 in ALL important yardage categories this year:

Not only were we #1 in total and passing yards allowed, but our #4 rushing rank is belied by the fact we were #1 in rushing yds/ATTEMPT (3.3.) Only way that makes sense to me is if all the close games kept all the great RBs we faced off the sideline. Whatever caused it, I always ignore passing/rushing TOTALS in favor of yds/att, because garbage time heavily influences totals, letting bad teams often rack up tons of passing against Prevent while good ones rack up tons of rushing.

Yards/att shows team capabilities REGARDLESS of score. And in THAT we were #1 ACROSS THE BOARD: 4.4 /play, 5.1 (net)/pass, 3.3/run.

The bad news is Carolina was right behind us in all but the last (where they were 9th:) 4.9/play, 5.4 (net)/pass, 3.9/run. Our statistically below average offense has its work cut out for it against a D better than everyone BUT us. But our elite D will keep us in it against a top ten offense: Wades guys give us a championship shot.

7DnBrnc53
02-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Wade Phillips is one of the top-5 DC's of all-time, up there with Belichick, Dick LeBeau, Joe Collier, and Bill Arnsparger.