PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Want to Avoid Another Super Bowl Disaster

Joel
02-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Best comment, IMHO, was Virgil Greens at 0:55 in the video (http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/18694/broncos-want-to-avoid-second-super-bowl-disaster):

We're here for a reason. We're not here to party and have fun, we're here to win a Championship.

At this point I'm unsure how much this is Kubiaks Team and how much the Anti-Fox Team: If that distinction's vanishingly small. I don't know if we win tomorrow, but DO know we're FULLY PREPARED this time, win OR lose. The best team WILL win; if that ain't us, so be it, because the Panthers will have EARNED a championship, NOT because we showed up late, left early or NEVER showed up. I'm more optimistic about the post-Manning Broncos than ever before WITH Manning.

Yet I'll always wonder what might've been if he'd had Kubiak, Dennison and a LINE from the start....

SR
02-06-2016, 07:59 PM
What position do you play Joel?

Joel
02-06-2016, 09:15 PM
What position do you play Joel?
Ah, yes: The extensive amateur experience you always allude to without specifying. It's odd that you keep throwing your jock on the table, but my athletic history's far better documented. I'm curious: Since that makes you so much more qualified to analyze the NFL, why are you always doing it HERE, never on an NFL sideline...?
Polk High forever, dudebro! :salute:

Anyway, there's nothing at the link about my HS days (or yours) so why don't we talk about what IS there instead of each other? Before you hang yourself again. ;)

SR
02-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I never played football except in 8th grade. But I did play with Johnny Weeks and his mom was my 8th grade English teacher. I never claimed to have any athletic prowess or extensive knowledge...you do enough of that for the whole board. The initial comment was responding to all of your "we" and "we're" comments.

Joel
02-06-2016, 09:27 PM
I never played football except in 8th grade. But I did play with Johnny Weeks and his mom was my 8th grade English teacher.
Are you joking, or seriously saying the "organized sports experience" you lord over me all the time is one year of junior high ball? That'd be a funny joke, too.

I never claimed to have any athletic prowess or extensive knowledge...you do enough of that for the whole board.
Wait, so when you pull that "how dare you dispute my superior assertions when YOU'VE never played organized sports" you're just blowing smoke? I mean, I was on my 7th grade baseball team, too—I sucked, but I was ON it all year. So I guess we have equal athletic experience; maybe we can all put it back in our pants now.

The initial comment was responding to all of your "we" and "we're" comments.
I identify with the the team, yes; pretty sure most people here do, else they WOULDN'T be here.

SR
02-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Are you joking, or seriously saying the "organized sports experience" you lord over me all the time is one year of junior high ball? That'd be a funny joke, too.

I never hold an experience over you...just question yours. I played hockey Joel, not football.

Joel
02-06-2016, 09:35 PM
I never hold an experience over you...just question yours. I played hockey Joel, not football.
Guessing you're not a Houston native then. So I'll clue you in what we natives know: You CAN'T grow up in Texas and NOT know football VERY well. I can hardly tell anyone anything about any other sport, so wouldn't try, but football? It's my state religion.

It sounds like my football experience is at LEAST as great as yours, so let's just agree to disagree when we do.

Can we talk about the link now, or do we need to continue True Confessions a bit longer?

SR
02-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Guessing you're not a Houston native then. So I'll clue you in what we natives know: You CAN'T grow up in Texas and NOT know football VERY well. I can hardly tell anyone anything about any other sport, so wouldn't try, but football? It's my state religion. It sounds like my football experience is at LEAST as great as yours, so let's just agree to disagree when we do. Can we talk about the link now, or do we need to continue True Confessions a bit longer?

No, I'm not from Houston. I'm from Denver originally (you know, home of the Broncos) and grew up in Phoenix. I'm married to a native Houstonian. I live here. I've lived in Texas for most of my adult life, minus a five year hiatus in South Dakota.

tomjonesrocks
02-06-2016, 09:55 PM
This seems as good an opportunity to mention I shattered a femur playing football in HS. Do I win the big-dick contest or do I suck?

I may have told part of this story here already - unsure.

I caught a screen playing as a RB (bad ass start I think) and got tackled high. My foot got pinned and though my knee should have shredded it didn't. My femur did. The "snap" was audible to all. Spiral fracture.

They drove the ambulances and fire engine on the field. Worst part was I landed face-down. They had to roll me over. 1-2-3...The pain was unimaginable. This happened and that happened and I got oxygen and was in a much better mood in the ambulance. I hear something about being lucky not to sever an artery with this injury, hang on, buddy...

Then I have one flash of memory where I wake up to the doc telling my parents I might need 3 months in the hospital. I could not understand what I was hearing. I see I have a pin totally through my leg attached to weights at the end of the bed. The doc wasn't happy with the pin placement and I had to go back in to re-place it.

I don't remember the next 2 weeks at all except flashes of screaming from the pain. Smash cut to being in bed and just hearing stories of my tirades. I call friends. I get a few visits.

I wound up being 6 weeks in traction with pins in my right leg. 3 months in a body cast in a rented hospital bed in my parents living room. Then full leg cast, then a brace they adjusted slowly to regain full motion.

The long hospital stay was to ensure my legs grew the same size. I was still growing at the time.

Everything worked out great. Actually had some funny experiences while in the brace. My upper body which was pretty strong already from lifting was ridiculous after hauling my ass around in a body cast and leg cast for months. Let's just say some burnout who thought it would be a good idea to kick my brace and crutches and call me "Jerry's kids" one day found himself mid-air and flying through a folding table.

But, I couldn't play after that. I had nightmares for years and was too freaked out. I'd dream about the "snap" and watching my leg fold limp as I went down...

SR
02-06-2016, 09:56 PM
HUGE dick

LawDog
02-06-2016, 10:12 PM
HUGE dick

The syntax of his lead-in paragraph leaves quite a bit to be desired. Unless TJR is trolling Beef...

Joel
02-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah, think tjr wins that one.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Ouch that hurts just thinking about it.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-06-2016, 10:29 PM
When I was a junior in high school on the opening kickoff I hit this kid from New Mexico and compound fractured his tibia hearing your story made me feel really bad

tomjonesrocks
02-06-2016, 11:23 PM
When I was a junior in high school on the opening kickoff I hit this kid from New Mexico and compound fractured his tibia hearing your story made me feel really bad

Well fortunately I wasn't a compound.

I had a roommate at the hospital. Kid similar age. He put a bullet through his femur - some sort of accidental shooting. Burns and shit I guess though as I was literally nailed down to my bed and he to his I never really saw it.

Anyway they had to sterilize his open wound every morning. This was one I'd "come to". Anyway I'd hear him screaming every morning beside me as they treated him. I'd be reading books to his screaming.

Yes there were bedpans and bedsores if you were wondering.

Other good times - it took me like a full week to learn to stand again after the hospital because my circulation got destroyed and all the blood would rush to my feet into a big pool. So it would be a "stand as long as you can take it" situation.

Joel
02-06-2016, 11:52 PM
Well fortunately I wasn't a compound.

I had a roommate at the hospital. Kid similar age. He put a bullet through his femur - some sort of accidental shooting. Burns and shit I guess though as I was literally nailed down to my bed and he to his I never really saw it.

Anyway they had to sterilize his open wound every morning. This was one I'd "come to". Anyway I'd hear him screaming every morning beside me as they treated him. I'd be reading books to his screaming.

Yes there were bedpans and bedsores if you were wondering.

Other good times - it took me like a full week to learn to stand again after the hospital because my circulation got destroyed and all the blood would rush to my feet into a big pool. So it would be a "stand as long as you can take it" situation.

That's seriously scary stuff; sever the femoral artery and you're very dead very fast unless you get a tourniquet on it immediately. Glad ya'll both made it OK. I've been blessed to avoid any breaks, but my mom had a triple compound fib-tib 20 years ago (a leg polio weakened as a baby) and has never been the same.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Wow the worst injury I suffered in football was partially separating my shoulders which hurt but nothing like that. My football playing days ended in college when I got in a car accident and partially tore my acl, mcl, patella tendon and all the cartilage in my knee but I doubt that even hurt as bad as that.