PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the #1 key to victory in this game is?

BroncoWave
02-04-2016, 06:04 PM
In everyone's opinion, what is the one thing we HAVE to do well in this game to have a chance to win?

For me, it's not turning the ball over. I mentioned this in another thread, but Carolina is #1 in scoring but not even in the top 10 in yards. They generate a lot of their points from their defense and forcing turnovers more so than by long, sustained drives. If we can go the whole game without turning the ball over, I think we have a very good shot at winning. If we turn it over multiple times, however, I think we have little to no chance. So to me that is the big key to give us a shot, not turn the ball over and win the field position battle.

What say all of you?

OrangeHoof
02-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Pressure Newton into submission.

Timmy!
02-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm with Wave. Win the turnover battle. Time of possession is also going to be huge.

NightTerror218
02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Turnovers

BroncoJoe
02-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Smack them in the mouth. Early and often. I said it in another thread - they'll fold like a beach chair once the Broncos hit them hard and often.

Magnificent Seven
02-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Throw dynamites in the early game. Just stop the mobile-quarterback.

I believe Antonio Smith will take it on Panthers and win for his Dad. His dad passed away yesterday.

The Glue Factory
02-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Defense.

If we have the defense from the first couple of weeks I think we can afford a giveaway or two more than takeaways.

Ravage!!!
02-04-2016, 07:13 PM
I thnk its been hit. I think keeping them passing, and keeping them 3rd and long...because as we've seen over our 1st two playoff games, our defense is stud on 3rd down.

If Peyton turns the ball over and gives them short scores, we are done. We don't have the offense to score... so we will NEED the turnovers and play the field position game. Force them into long fields to get into scoring position. I think Talib gets one early, and we'll need to score a TD when he does.

Shazam!
02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Contain Newton. Keep him in the pocket.

No turnovers.

Peyton needs to be efficient and no INTS.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Score more points than the other team. :noidea:

Actually turnovers is probably what I'd say.

Grover
02-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Our offensive line needs to control the line of scrimmage.

The above will open up our run game, take pressure off Manning and benefit our time of possession. Whatever we can do to keep Cam off the field is the best way for us to win.

karnage
02-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Denver needs a gameplay similar to what they used against GB, and need to be every bit as effective with it.

Joel
02-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Our offensive line needs to control the line of scrimmage.

The above will open up our run game, take pressure off Manning and benefit our time of possession. Whatever we can do to keep Cam off the field is the best way for us to win.
^^THAT^^ I don't know if we CAN do that (we've struggled to do it since before we even SIGNED Manning) but that's how we win. It can't be Manning vs. the NFL again; that didn't work when he had a better season than any passer in history, and still won't. We MUST run block well enough to avoid our OWN 3rd and longs, and protect our aging, hurt immobile QB well enough to convert most 3rd and longs we can't avoid. The more we do those things, the less Cam matters.

pulse
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I have five keys, really....

#1 BE MEAN!!! Shock them physically. But DO NOT turn the ball over.

#2 If you get a bad break, get meaner. Get angry and play harder. Take back the momentum.

#3 Run the ball effectively and convert third downs with a high percentage. This controls the time of possession, tires Carolina's defense and leaves Carolina's high powered attack frustrated standing on the sideline.

#4 Disciplined Defense! Get inside pressure with Wolfe but stay disciplined against Carolina's gaurds when they try to push out. This contains Newton in the pocket but avoids running lanes up the middle. Denver does not want to let him advance easy chunks of yardage up the middle because we're speed rushing the tackles into the backfield. That being said, if he rolls out, Miller needs to do his thing.

#5 If you get a lead, do not relax. Carolina often scores points unanswered and in chunks. See: turnovers.

Denver needs a full team effort on both sides to win this game. If it comes down to a final drive, I trust our defense and secondary to make a big play. If it comes down to Manning, I am confident he'll come through one last time.

VonDoom
02-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Turnovers are my number one as well. I'd say stopping the run would be a close second. If they're churning out yards on the ground, not only will it be easier for them to convert third downs, but it gives Newton the opportunity to make big plays down the field. Make him pass more than he's comfortable with and we should be fine.

Tned
02-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Score more points than the other team. :noidea:

Damn you for beating me to the good line!!!!

Since I can't go with score more points.....

Key Cam in the pocket.
Pass early and often, to loosen things up for the run game.

Joel
02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
For me, it's not turning the ball over. I mentioned this in another thread, but Carolina is #1 in scoring but not even in the top 10 in yards.
As I believe I noted in that other thread, that's misleading, because of both their high turnover differential and the fact they run more than they pass: On a YDS/ATT BASIS, Carolina's offense is 10th in passing AND running, while its D is 2nd and 7th. Much of the offense is Cam (e.g. he scored 85% of their TDs) but it IS a top ten unit on the ground and through the air. So is their D (in fact, the passing D's better than EVERYONE but us: It's literally the toughest pass D we could possibly face.)

They generate a lot of their points from their defense and forcing turnovers more so than by long, sustained drives.
That's important and true, but just because they rarely NEED to sustain drives shouldn't make us think they CAN'T. Avoiding turnovers is a prerequisite to win, but not enough: We MUST run block well enough to keep the #1 D rested and healthy, wear down the #6 D, neutralize Cam and keep literal and figurative pressure off Manning by making pass rushers hesitate and safeties come up to stack the box.

Our D can keep us IN the game if we protect the ball and don't leave them on the field all day, until they're so exhausted they finally give up a TD (e.g. like the end of the AFCCG.) But our offense still MUST make plays to WIN it; protecting the ball's as much a must, but we can't just go three-and-out every time and keep sending our D right back out there (e.g. like the end of the AFCCG.) So how do move the ball WITHOUT turnovers...?

Run block like our season depends on it, because it does, and when we can't get to 3rd and 3 we MUST pass protect well enough Manning's not rushing throws.

Dean
02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Here are two. Take your pick. Shut down their run game and/or we win the turnover battle.

BroncoBuckeye73
02-04-2016, 11:18 PM
I agree with everyone about turnovers. The biggest key to me is controlling the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. Wolfe and Jackson need to collapse the pocket inside on their pass plays and zone read runs allowing Miller and Ware to keep Cam from squirting outside for a run and to make him uncomfortable in the pocket. On offense pound the rock on the left side of their D, Allen is playing with a broken foot and his replacements are not great, Loutelelie has been hurt most of the year and Davis has a broken arm, lets see how they hold up physically getting ran at all day long.

BroncoTech
02-05-2016, 01:06 AM
I'd say before worrying about containing Newton we need to hit him a few times. I think the game flow can be determined if we pressure Cam early and often. Maybe at half time or before set up a mush rush to contain him. Make the changes required on both side of the ball. We need to keep turnovers at least equal.

WJK
02-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Like any game against a great quarterback, time of possession.

Buff
02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm going with "don't snap the ball over QB's head on the first plat of the game" as my key to success.

Slick
02-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Stat I saw on the Mane was 5 of the running backs that Denver faced this year that were in the top 10 in yards were held to 2.9 yards a carry. They can stop the run. Turnovers is the key to winning this game.

Hawgdriver
02-05-2016, 11:47 AM
The key is get in Cam Newton's head. Make him rush a throw or two. Rattle him. Challenge and then destroy his confidence in the passing game. Turn him from confident hero persona into whiny it's not fair, takin' my toys and going home persona.

EastCoastBronco
02-05-2016, 12:00 PM
1. Stop running the same off tackle left running play every single first down... Predictable much???
2. Hit Newton as many times or more than we hit Brady.
3. Special teams coverage. It was pretty solid against New England.

That should do it.

arapaho2
02-05-2016, 12:06 PM
my key is simple...the o line must play their best game of the year, both in pass and run blocking

nevcraw
02-05-2016, 12:13 PM
for sure Turnovers.... the other thing is Peyton has to take a page from brady and throw the ball away / down as soon as it looks bad instead of taking sacks(like last week).. we can't be in 3rd and long all day or we will turn it over..

Northman
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Denver not having any turnovers.

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2016, 01:00 PM
I've said it for the last 8-9 weeks:

We must run the ball effectively which keeps our offense balanced.

The defense will perform, and keep Carolina within striking distance. The offense needs to run the ball effectively and as it's been said a bunch already, avoid turnovers.

TXBRONC
02-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Win the turnover battle. I said elsewhere if the defense plays the way we know they can and the offense plays a clean game they will win.

slim
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Completely abandon everything that has gotten you to this point.

Sincerely,

Joel Klatt

NightTerror218
02-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Was reading an article on NFL about why the Broncos could win.

Apparently Carolina had issues with ATL offense in their lose. The reason is why did not fare well in stopping the zone block scheme of kyle shannahan. He was able to chew up a lot of the game clock running the ball and keeping Carolina off the field. They did not gash them for massive yards but slowly moved chains and ate the clock.

EastCoastBronco
02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
4. If we get any kind of a lead at all (unless it's under 3 minutes left) it would be refreshing if Kubiak would NOT go into "Super Conservative" playcalling mode.

Davii
02-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Control and dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball and play better than they do on special teams. I think we are better at every position grouping other than our OL vs their DL. If we can play above our level there and win the LOS we will win the game.

EastCoastBronco
02-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Control and dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball and play better than they do on special teams. I think we are better at every position grouping other than our OL vs their DL. If we can play above our level there and win the LOS we will win the game.

This is the one area that has me worried.
Their DL seems to play utterly insane in the first quarter.
Look what they did to Seattle and Arizona.
If we can get out of the first quarter without any serious damage we'll be fine.

Yashahla17
02-05-2016, 03:04 PM
In everyone's opinion, what is the one thing we HAVE to do well in this game to have a chance to win?

For me, it's not turning the ball over. I mentioned this in another thread, but Carolina is #1 in scoring but not even in the top 10 in yards. They generate a lot of their points from their defense and forcing turnovers more so than by long, sustained drives. If we can go the whole game without turning the ball over, I think we have a very good shot at winning. If we turn it over multiple times, however, I think we have little to no chance. So to me that is the big key to give us a shot, not turn the ball over and win the field position battle.

What say all of you?

If the offensive line blocks we win, because the defense will show up, i like the way we match up with carolina offense. Still unsure anout manning but if the offensive line shows up we should be able to jump out ahead.

BroncoJoe
02-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Smack them in the mouth. Early and often. I said it in another thread - they'll fold like a beach chair once the Broncos hit them hard and often.

Yup.

BroncoWave
02-10-2016, 11:30 PM

What say all of you?

Thought it would be fun to bring this thread back up and see if what we all thought were the biggest keys actually came to fruition. I was right and wrong with mine. I was flat out wrong in that I said we had little to no chance if we turned it over multiple times. We did that and still found a way to win. Granted we forced 4 turnovers of our own, so finishing +2 was still huge.

I'd say I was right about field position being a big key though. Colquitt was money and our punt coverage never let Ginn do a single thing.

BroncoWave
02-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Pressure Newton into submission.

Defense.

If we have the defense from the first couple of weeks I think we can afford a giveaway or two more than takeaways.

The key is get in Cam Newton's head. Make him rush a throw or two. Rattle him. Challenge and then destroy his confidence in the passing game. Turn him from confident hero persona into whiny it's not fair, takin' my toys and going home persona.

I'd say you guys nailed it. Good job!

BroncoWave
02-10-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm going with "don't snap the ball over QB's head on the first plat of the game" as my key to success.

I felt way more relieved than is probably logical after we got the first play of the game off without a hitch. I was probably way more worried than I should have been that disaster was going to strike on the first play again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-11-2016, 12:32 AM
I thnk its been hit. I think keeping them passing, and keeping them 3rd and long...because as we've seen over our 1st two playoff games, our defense is stud on 3rd down.

If Peyton turns the ball over and gives them short scores, we are done. We don't have the offense to score... so we will NEED the turnovers and play the field position game. Force them into long fields to get into scoring position. I think Talib gets one early, and we'll need to score a TD when he does.

Nailed it bro. ...we even got 2 TD's off turnovers.

Tned
02-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Damn you for beating me to the good line!!!!

Since I can't go with score more points.....

Key Cam in the pocket.
Pass early and often, to loosen things up for the run game.

I think mine were pretty well on.

Score more points. Check
Keep Cam in the pocket. Check
Pass early to setup the run. Check

BroncoWave
02-11-2016, 09:24 PM

Score more points. Check

I'm still not convinced that scoring more points than the other team is THAT big of a key to winning.

Hawgdriver
02-11-2016, 09:29 PM
I'd say you guys nailed it. Good job!

Thanks homie--but really let's thank Wade MF Phillips, the dude with his yamsak in the wheelbarrow.

Hawgdriver
02-11-2016, 10:56 PM

Score more points. Check

Yeah, they were ok, but...