PDA

View Full Version : Sports Authority said struggling to avoid bankruptcy filing

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Sports Authority, which once dreamed of becoming the biggest U.S. sporting-goods retailer, is now working to stave off bankruptcy after failing to capitalize on a fitness boom that's benefiting upstart competitors.

The Englewood-based company is struggling to persuade creditors to reduce its outstanding debt as it tries to avoid filing for Chapter 11 reorganization, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Sports Authority on Jan. 15 skipped an interest payment $343 million of subordinated debt maturing in 2018 and has been talking to the bondholders about taking a loss on the notes in exchange for other securities, said one of the people.

AND

Sports Authority took over Invesco's contract — which promised the stadium district and the Broncos $60 million each over a 20-year period — at the half-way point and has made payments "on time and in full since day one," district spokesman Matt Sugar said.

The payments are made on a graduated scale. Sugar said the next payment, due Aug. 1, 2016, will be $3.6 million.

"They have been a good partner," Sugar said.

A company spokeswoman declined to comment on how Sports Authority's financial struggles could impact the naming-rights deal.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29429568/sports-authority-said-struggling-avoid-bankruptcy-filing

Slick
01-26-2016, 02:27 PM
I imagine being a brick and mortar store they're finding it hard to make ends meet now that so many people shop online.

artie_dale
01-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Smh. Seems they used sponsoring Invesco as a desperate reach to climb out of a hole they probably knew they were falling in to.

I do not know how this impacts the Broncos, other than losing some leverage (next sponsor may offer less unless there is competition).

chazoe60
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I love Sports Authority. We shop there all the time.

Tned
01-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Dang, being naming rights under if mile high is a dangerous game. Wonder if the next one week to bankrupt as well.

Buff
01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
We need a more reputable sponsor. Something that we know has some staying power in this community... Like, "Casa Bonita Field at Mile High" or "Shotgun Willies Stadium"

GEM
01-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Just drop the sponsorship and call it what everyone already does...Mile High. It's been known that so freaking long that unless you find some big sponsor who has a long successful history, it won't stick. Didn't know what Invesco was when it was Invesco, Sports Authority only bought the rights to keep up with Dick's Sporting Goods and the soccer stadium, so unless they can get a huge name brand, just drop the shit and stop the turnover.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Papa John's Pizza Palace at Mile High.

But all joking aside, GEM's got it right.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
I'd love to see Coors step up to the plate, but they are now part of the Molson/Miller companies and have the baseball stadium, so that's doubtful.

Remember - the naming rights is for the field. It is still Mile High Stadium. The official name is currently Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

sneakers
01-26-2016, 07:39 PM
no shit, anything that is a physical store and not internet based is doomed

sneakers
01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
We need a more reputable sponsor. Something that we know has some staying power in this community... Like, "Casa Bonita Field at Mile High" or "Shotgun Willies Stadium"

oh man, they could have cliff divers at the stadium

NightTerror218
01-26-2016, 07:43 PM
I'd love to see Coors step up to the plate, but they are now part of the Molson/Miller companies and have the baseball stadium, so that's doubtful.

Remember - the naming rights is for the field. It is still Mile High Stadium. The official name is currently Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

And before that was Sports Authority Field.

They recently added mile high back in but was not that originally.

ShaneFalco
01-26-2016, 07:45 PM
I'd love to see Coors step up to the plate.

id love to see a dispensary step up to the plate. :)

Mile High Buds Stadium.

:lol:

Dapper Dan
01-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Pat Bowlen Field at Mile High Stadium

DenBronx
01-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Trump Plaza at Mile High.

Dapper Dan
01-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Trump Plaza at Mile High.

Elway would never let that happen. Thank God.