PDA

View Full Version : Manning: "This might be my last rodeo."

Buff
01-25-2016, 11:08 PM
On the intro to NFL Total Access they mic'd the sound between Manning and Belichick's handshake after the game and he said, "Hey listen... This might be my last rodeo, so it sure has been a pleasure."

I think we've all suspected it, but that's the first time I've heard him say it. I assume the audio will be available on NFL.com at some point.

Tned
01-25-2016, 11:23 PM
Wow, Belichick is considering retiring?

tomjonesrocks
01-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Found it on Twitter - the quote was clear as day.

Joel
01-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Figured that's what was going on in his extended convos and embraces with Belicheat and Brady.

He still said, "might," so no more than what's always true for all players, but you're right that's still the closest he's ever come to saying it in public (or semi-public; no shock at least one of them was micced.) Hell, dude just won the AFCCG and there are STILL plenty of fans who wish Oz were starting NOW. We still have to debate whether BARELY missing Sanders and Norwood on TDs "prove the old man's lost it" (and never mind his OTHER two TDs, including an arcing beauty over a defender to Daniels in the corner.) I'm sure he's not glued to the media, but he doesn't live in a cave either, so just as surely knows what the fans are saying: Good AND bad.

Bottom line though he's pushing 40, his body's been through Hell for years, our line's still Swiss cheese and he's in the SB when he's probably the healthiest he'll EVER be at the end of playing season. It's time to accept that if he can't get that second Ring now, he simply can't get it PERIOD. While he still remembers his kids' names.

DenBronx
01-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Wow, Belichick is considering retiring?

God I hope so. I'm tired of the Pats.

Mike
01-26-2016, 10:02 AM
I have been vocal about his poor play this year, but I hope that he gets to go out on top. Of course that is good for the Broncos, but I'd say the same thing if he played for another team (not name Chiefs or Raiders).

He has had some great seasons here and helped a team that was going nowhere (thanks to douchebag McD). He has always been a role model and contributed a lot back to Denver and fans. I wish him well and hope he comes out firing on all cylinders like he did against Green Bay earlier this year. I also hope the team lays it all on the line for him and for each other.

Peyton Manning, for all you have done as a Bronco....:salute:

artie_dale
01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I think he already told the coaches and teammates. Just wants to keep it quiet so its not a distraction. We haven't seen the defense play with the kind of tenacity and fire like they did against the Pats all season. They are fired up and focused. Hopefully our offense can get their fire lit so we can play a complete game for once.

I think the team is inspired because they already know this is Peyton's last dance.

GEM
01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/692039891278901251?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Video on NFL twitter.

NightTrainLayne
01-26-2016, 01:08 PM
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/692039891278901251?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Video on NFL twitter.

Threads merged. Buff already had one started.

GEM
01-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Threads merged. Buff already had one started.

:laugh: I looked up and down the list and didn't see it. Oops.

Northman
01-26-2016, 02:03 PM
I have been vocal about his poor play this year, but I hope that he gets to go out on top. Of course that is good for the Broncos, but I'd say the same thing if he played for another team (not name Chiefs or Raiders).

He has had some great seasons here and helped a team that was going nowhere (thanks to douchebag McD). He has always been a role model and contributed a lot back to Denver and fans. I wish him well and hope he comes out firing on all cylinders like he did against Green Bay earlier this year. I also hope the team lays it all on the line for him and for each other.

Peyton Manning, for all you have done as a Bronco....:salute:

On a side note how fun was it to see the camera pan over to McD and see the level of frustration on his face because of the defense? lmao

Timmy!
01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
We all knew it. Also, if anybody recorded the game, relisten to Peyton's post game speech on the field where he starts off with "It sure has been a great 4 years in Denver" and thanks the fans. He doesn't come out and say it, but it was totally a goodbye and thank you speech.

NightTerror218
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
No surprise. You can tell with his play that he is now a game manager and using his brain over arm.

Tned
01-26-2016, 02:40 PM
:laugh: I looked up and down the list and didn't see it. Oops.

Vision is the third thing to go....

GEM
01-26-2016, 02:58 PM
Vision is the third thing to go....

Shush you!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2016, 03:07 PM
When they showed Archie up in the box at the Pittsburgh game, I though then that Archie may have been there because he knows that Peyton will retire, and if the Broncos did not win, he wanted to be at Peyton's last game. At the NE game, Archie, plus Cooper and other family members were there, and I had the same thought - if this was Peyton's last game, they wanted to be there.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-26-2016, 03:08 PM
When they showed Archie up in the box at the Pittsburgh game, I though then that Archie may have been there because he knows that Peyton will retire, and if the Broncos did not win, he wanted to be at Peyton's last game. At the NE game, Archie, plus Cooper and other family members were there, and I had the same thought - if this was Peyton's last game, they wanted to be there.

Do you know if Eli was there as well, Carol? I knew Cooper, Archie and of course Marshall and Mosley were there but haven't heard anything about younger bro.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-26-2016, 03:10 PM
It's just surreal to me that after all the up's and down's of this season, all the questions with few or no answers, the adversity seemingly every week... how things have transpired and ended up with us in this historic Super Bowl.

It would be a storybook fairytale ending fit for Hollywood if Peyton can walk off as a World Champion just like Elway did. Ware playing in his first Super Bowl too after his storied HOF career; those two guys deserve to raise that trophy this year, any other scenario just doesn't seem fitting.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Do you know if Eli was there as well, Carol? I knew Cooper, Archie and of course Marshall and Mosley were there but haven't heard anything about younger bro.

I have not read or heard that Eli was there, but if he and his family were still in the NY/NJ area, more than likely they could not even get out of there to get here.

From the article:

DENVER – Archie Manning's eyes began watering up behind his glasses, his voice catching as he tried to relay the emotion of earlier Sunday, of before Denver 20, New England 18, before middle son Peyton assured at least one more game, before that son advanced to his fourth Super Bowl and the Manning family's sixth.

For Archie, all these years, all these games as a football star turned football father, this one felt like it might be too much to ask, that this might be it for an aging, fading, injured Peyton Manning in the face of those relentless Patriots.

So there on Sunday morning, Archie and his wife Olivia quietly reminded each other to soak it all in because there might not be another game. They wound up crying.

AND

Make no mistake, Denver won it because even if Manning isn't what he once was, he still commands a locker room like few others. Up and down the Broncos roster they spoke Sunday of winning for their quarterback, being motivated by their quarterback.

"It's Peyton Manning," running back C.J. Anderson said. "You're all talking about Peyton Manning like he's not a five-time MVP. That is 18 over there. He's been known to do what he's known to do."

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/even-peyton-manning-s-family-had-doubts-about-a-storybook-super-bowl-ending-032431839.html

weazel
01-26-2016, 04:59 PM
so not only is he aging physically, he has dimentia as well! Poor fella thinks he's going to the rodeo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c1/c8/a0/c1c8a0e5d8a9fbf3c83cb229b19b295b.jpg

Shazam!
01-26-2016, 05:01 PM
This is not news IMO.

Tned
01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Shush you!

Huhh, what'd you say???? ---- hearing is fourth...

Tned
01-26-2016, 06:19 PM
This is not news IMO.

Where/when did Manning previously state this?

BronColt
01-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Does it hurt or help the team for Manning to announce this as his last game before they play? Ray Lewis sure seemed to get some extra play from the Ravens when he dropped his bomb. In both scenarios it seemed pretty predictable.

BroncoTech
01-27-2016, 01:13 AM
The conversation turned deadly serious as Peyton stared into Belicheck's eyes and then further revealing his retirement plans said - I'm riding off into the sunset, but my brother Eli could always become a free agent, and who knows, maybe there will be another Manning to kick your ass in Denver until the end of time.

Joel
01-27-2016, 01:27 AM
The conversation turned deadly serious as Peyton stared into Belicheck's eyes and then further revealing his retirement plans said - I'm riding off into the sunset, but my brother Eli could always become a free agent, and who knows, maybe there will be another Manning to kick your ass in Denver until the end of time.
I've thought about that often and long enough to check Rotoworld for Elis contract a year or two ago: He's signed through 2019, so the only way he'll be a FA before he's the same age Peyton is NOW is if he starts sucking so badly no one wants him.

In a way, it's too bad; Peyton's a better, smarter, passer, but Eli's far more experienced at running for his life behind a line as bad as ours and STILL winning SBs. Say what we will about Peyton vs. Eli, but we all know there's no WAY even a pre-spinal injury Manning gets off the Helmet Catch: Eli had to get out of 2-3 sacks by 3-4 Cheats who met at his HEAD, then find some open space, re-set, **** and heave a catchable Hail Mary. Manning goes down in a heap:

NE* 14 NYG 10 (Final)