PDA

View Full Version : **** Edelman

Northman
01-25-2016, 02:40 PM
I didnt even catch this in the game yesterday but what a POS diving at Wards knees like that. Reminds me of that scumbag Dale Carter. You will probably have to have a FB account to see this since it was posted up on there.

https://www.facebook.com/realnflnewsandupdates/videos/1757543071133808/

Tned
01-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Yea, I saw it mentioned on Twitter, but hadn't seen it until your posting.

NightTerror218
01-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Yea, I saw it mentioned on Twitter, but hadn't seen it until your posting.

Been seeing that video circulate today.

GEM
01-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Head hunting in retaliation for Gronk and the comments last week about going at the knees? On top of that, they were on their own 11, go after the most passionate hothead on the defense, expect a reaction and get 15 yds on it. Funniest part, Ward didn't fall for the bait. :D

GEM
01-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Edelman also shoulder checked the guy who hit him stopping him from a catch. Cocky LITTLE *******. The defender looked at him and laughed.

Nomad
01-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Head hunting in retaliation for Gronk and the comments last week about going at the knees?

Yeah....if it comes out he was doing this, he should be suspended and have a hefty fine. Anyone else that is involved with this should receive the same punishment. Wasn't Saints players and coaches suspended for this very thing? BRONCOS put the hurting on Gronk yesterday tackling him 'correctly', but he's a tough SOB.

NightTrainLayne
01-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's a legal block, and I'd be happy if we could get our tight ends to do this as effectively as Edelman does here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this play by Edelman in my eyes.

GEM
01-25-2016, 03:07 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's a legal block, and I'd be happy if we could get our tight ends to do this as effectively as Edelman does here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this play by Edelman in my eyes.

Completely legal, but really funny since they were whining last week about the Broncos saying that it was the only way to take Gronk down. They were on record saying how shitty it was.

weazel
01-25-2016, 03:08 PM
I didnt even catch this in the game yesterday but what a POS diving at Wards knees like that. Reminds me of that scumbag Dale Carter. You will probably have to have a FB account to see this since it was posted up on there.

https://www.facebook.com/realnflnewsandupdates/videos/1757543071133808/

feel free to comment on that video with the tag: @Edelman11

chazoe60
01-25-2016, 03:11 PM
It was legal but it was also dirty. He was IMHO obviously trying to injure Ward. It didn't work and Ward got the last laugh so **** off Edelman you little putz.

Joel
01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Looks like a classic (and legal) cut block to me; we're the LAST people who have any business complaining about that.

Nomad
01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
I didn't think blocking at knees or below the knees was legal anymore, or is it just for QBs? Anyway, knowing the history, I would say this was more than just an innocent attempt at blocking Ward out of the play. :tinfoil3: :D

TXBRONC
01-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Head hunting in retaliation for Gronk and the comments last week about going at the knees? On top of that, they were on their own 11, go after the most passionate hothead on the defense, expect a reaction and get 15 yds on it. Funniest part, Ward didn't fall for the bait. :D

Ward handled it well. He probably told ****Edledick that he was going tear his head off and shit down his neck.

weazel
01-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Looks like a classic (and legal) cut block to me; we're the LAST people who have any business complaining about that.

Denver hasn't used that in a long, long time... might be time for others to stop using that excuse. What's it been, 15 years?

NightTrainLayne
01-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Completely legal, but really funny since they were whining last week about the Broncos saying that it was the only way to take Gronk down. They were on record saying how shitty it was.

I thought Gronk et al handled it pretty well saying things like, "that's the only thing defenders can do legally anymore".

I didn't think the Pats were whining about it.

Also, since we won two Super Bowls with an offense that lives and breathes cut blocks, and now have Kubiak back here running that offense, it's really silly for us to complain about another team's player attempting a cut block during a run play.

Tned
01-25-2016, 03:26 PM
I didn't think blocking at knees or below the knees was legal anymore, or is it just for QBs? Anyway, knowing the history, I would say this was more than just an innocent attempt at blocking Ward out of the play. :tinfoil3: :D

Just QBs. Also, cut blocks aren't allowed on the back side or away from the play. So, if you have a running play going to the right, you aren't allowed to cut the DE over the left tackle for instance, or at least I think that's how they are defining away from the play/backside. I haven't looked up the rule, just going from memory here.

TXBRONC
01-25-2016, 03:30 PM
I thought Gronk et al handled it pretty well saying things like, "that's the only thing defenders can do legally anymore".

Also, since we won two Super Bowls with an offense that lives and breathes cut blocks, and now have Kubiak back here running that offense, it's really silly for us to complain about another team's player attempting a cut block during a run play.

****Edleman is still a putz.

NightTrainLayne
01-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Just QBs. Also, cut blocks aren't allowed on the back side or away from the play. So, if you have a running play going to the right, you aren't allowed to cut the DE over the left tackle for instance, or at least I think that's how they are defining away from the play/backside. I haven't looked up the rule, just going from memory here.

I am not an encyclopedia on the rule book, but I think that the only time a cut block isn't allowed is if the defender is already engaged with another offensive player. In that instance, it is a 15-yard personal foul type penalty.

Cut blocking is illegal on a change of possession, like a kick or punt, or even a turnover, but not on a normal play, as long as they haven't already been engaged above the waist by another offensive player.

tripp
01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Edelman is the worst. Good receiver if he could just keep his mouth shut. He's a product of Tom Brady and let's his ego get the best of him. Every first down this season it's always a fist bump. Cocky *******.

MOtorboat
01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
I am not an encyclopedia on the rule book, but I think that the only time a cut block isn't allowed is if the defender is already engaged with another offensive player. In that instance, it is a 15-yard personal foul type penalty.

Cut blocking is illegal on a change of possession, like a kick or punt, or even a turnover, but not on a normal play, as long as they haven't already been engaged above the waist by another offensive player.

I think it's only legal within a few yards of the line of scrimmage.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Saw this on twitter as well. Dirty cheapshot ****** just like Brady's other little hobbit in Amendola.

Loved Ward scolding him with that finger wag.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3e/d8/23/3ed8230a1daed42aefc16982a7c96e3e.gif

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Edelman is the worst. Good receiver if he could just keep his mouth shut. He's a product of Tom Brady and let's his ego get the best of him. Every first down this season it's always a fist bump. Cocky *******.

The most annoying aspect with him and Amendola is their insistence on looking/calling for a flag every second play.

They make Eric Decker look like he's never called for a PI flag in his life.

Nomad
01-25-2016, 04:41 PM

I believe Alaska high school association is wanting to make cut blocks illegal, if they have done so already.

OrangeHoof
01-25-2016, 05:01 PM
**** ****book.

Northman
01-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Actually, Gronk complained a lot about what happened earlier in the year. Secondly, as already pointed out Denver hasnt used cut blocking in many years and to be honest i dont EVER remember our receivers diving at opposing players knees like that.

Northman
01-25-2016, 08:10 PM

Thats a good point as well, that was clearly more than a few yards from the line of scrimmage.

Joel
01-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Denver hasn't used that in a long, long time... might be time for others to stop using that excuse. What's it been, 15 years?
Buh? As NTL says, we (and many others) not only still use it, we just brought back Kubiak and Dennison to reinstall the championship-winning offense in which cut blocking's INTEGRAL. For that matter, ALL blocking's difficult without cuts; not impossible, but practically so for guys like Edelman, for the same reason (wait for it...) people hit Gronk low: Because leverage is about the only chance a 210 lb. DB has of stopping a guy who's 265.

All chop blocks are cut blocks, but NOT ALL CUT BLOCKS ARE CHOP BLOCKS! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/01/competition-committee-explores-banning-chop-block/)

It's important all Broncos fans get that since cut blocks were such a big part of our ONLY championships that people STILL complain about it 20 years later. Remember that iconic clip of Ed McCaffrey laying out a Packer to spring Howard Griffith for extra yards on the reception that gave us 1st and G before the winning TD in SB XXXII? That was no cut, but take a look at what Terrell Davis did at the start of the play to buy Elway time for the pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHqie0q7I5Y
TEXTBOOK cut block that RBs have been throwing at pass rushers practically since 1905. Perfectly legal. Now, if someone blocks high and someone ELSE blocks the game guy high, THAT'S a chop block, and illegal for decades in all but a few cases, because it's not only hard for the defender to see the low block coming but IMPOSSIBLE to protect himself from it: An opponent's standing him up and immobilizing him while someone else takes out his stuck extended knees at an angle.

On cut blocks, defenders tend to go sideways or backward (that's the idea,) but on chop blocks they can't do either: They're held in place while someone delivers a hammer blow to the side of their knees, practically inviting serious injury. That's why most are illegal, and a chop block IS a cut block (because it requires one) but a cut block's NOT a chop block UNLESS there's ANOTHER block high on the same guy.

Cut blocks are neither dirty nor illegal: They're just part of football. There's pretty much NO other way a guy like Squirrelman's gonna block ANYONE: If Ward, Talib or Harris (let alone somebody like JJ Watt) is coming at the ball carrier and Edelman gets in the way, they're just gonna blow up and run over him if he blocks them high, but he takes an angle and a lot of torque away from their center of gravity, he's got a shot of at least slowing them.

Are they dirty? Only if EVERY RB in history is dirty; I'm pretty sure Terrell Davis is the LAST person who'd agree INTENTIONALLY inflicting a career-ending knee injury is OK, but he didn't hesitate to cut people, or thrive in an offense heavily reliant on it. It's certainly DANGEROUS, but so is nearly EVERYTHING that happens on a football field; it's a full contact sport, and adult pro athletes slamming into each other at a dead run will periodically get hurt even with the best protection.

The NFL HAS progressively restricted cut blocking since our championships (and I believe Tned's right on the specifics, but MO may be right about it being restricted to a few yards from the LoS; I haven't verified that by checking the current-but-constantly-shifting cut blocking rules.)

Funny how fast things change though: Just two AFCCGs ago, NE* was raising Hell what concussion-suffering, 5'9" 185 lb. Welkers (unintentional, IMHO) low hit on Talib (who has several inches and 20 lbs. on him) taking him out of the game; "the dirtiest play" Belicheat had ever seen, remember? Now WE'RE raising Hell about Julian Edelman cutting Ward (who, coincidentally, is exactly the same size: 5'10" 200)? Who's taken a few shots at guys knees (and heads) himself?

No foul on the play; still Super Bowl.

Joel
01-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Secondly, as already pointed out Denver hasnt used cut blocking in many years....
LOL, remember that when opposing fans (or players, or coaches) scream bloody murder about one of our many cut blocks. You may only need to wait 2 weeks, but since it looks like Kubiak and Dennison are sticking around a while, I'm sure you'll have many chances. ;)

GEM
01-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Then why tf did you become a fan of such a disgraceful team in '97? You just don't make a bit of sense.

BroncoBuckeye73
01-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Edleman and Amendola are both whiny pos in my book. Everytime they whined for a flag when they were tightly covered they live for those crossing rubs to cheap shot defenders and that hit on Ware and the crap Amendola pulled on the Chiefs just show their double standard bs they love to pull its only fair if we do it and no one else. But to me still Butler is the biggest f@@@ of them all trying to pick a fight with our kicker was he afraid our recievers would knock his block off so lets start something with the kicker what a douche.

GEM
01-25-2016, 09:50 PM
What was that fight with McManus even about?

BroncoBuckeye73
01-25-2016, 10:00 PM
I dont know maybe over he hit 2 extra points

Joel
01-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Then why tf did you become a fan of such a disgraceful team in '97? You just don't make a bit of sense.
Who called it disgraceful? Not I: I just wrote a big long post (with video) on why THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH CUT BLOCKS. Right here (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/602579-****-Edelman?p=2451231#post2451231), if you want to READ it.

Joel
01-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Butler is the biggest f@@@ of them all trying to pick a fight with our kicker was he afraid our recievers would knock his block off so lets start something with the kicker what a douche.
Yeah, that really pissed me off, too: Gonna go prove my manhood by picking a fight with a kicker; I'm sure McManus "started it," right? Because there's sooo many ways a kicker can take a cheap shot and disguise it as a normal play; not like he'd have to draw every striped eye by running downfield just to get involved in contact in the first place. And we all know how notorious kickers are for being macho brawlers just looking for any excuse to swing their hammy fists. :rolleyes:

Refs should've flagged that: "Unsportsmanlike conduct: Not picking on someone your own size; 15 yds, enforced from the spot of the foul."

GEM
01-25-2016, 11:37 PM
I got through 3 paragraphs..thats about my attention span. :lol: That's on me. Your post came off as negative so I apologize.

DenBronx
01-25-2016, 11:44 PM
I liked how McManus handled himself after that Pats player got all up in his face. I am happy we kept him over Barth. Stronger leg and seems like his acuracy has got alot better this year. He will get better over time too.

GEM
01-26-2016, 12:21 AM
I liked how McManus handled himself after that Pats player got all up in his face. I am happy we kept him over Barth. Stronger leg and seems like his acuracy has got alot better this year. He will get better over time too.

I liked that smirk on his face like "really dude?" :lol:

MOtorboat
01-26-2016, 12:24 AM
#kickersarepeopletoo

Ravage!!!
01-26-2016, 10:29 AM

This is incorrect. EVERY team cut blocks, and the system that we are usingon the OL is based on that system.

But I didn't think you could cut below the knees when blocking down field.I'm not sure this IS a legal block. I think it's a lame ass cheap shot that was a full out attempt at injuring Ward. Edelman is a complete douche, anyway, but this just proves how far he can push that.

weazel
01-26-2016, 10:37 AM
#kickersarepeopletoo

#kindof

NightTrainLayne
01-26-2016, 12:33 PM
I did some looking in the NFL rulebook. It's confusing as hell on this issue.

As near as I can tell, that type of block would be an "illegal crack back block" (an offensive player lined up 2 yards or more outside the tackle, making contact with the defender below the waist) if it happened within 5 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. The definition for illegal crack-back block stipulates that it happens within 5 yards.

This block was 7-8 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I can't find another rule that applies, i.e. I don't see a "legal crack back" section anywhere. I certainly can be wrong. It is definitely illegal to make that kind of block from a receiver split out, if it is done within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, but I can't find a prohibition outside of 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Ravage!!!
01-26-2016, 02:36 PM
I did some looking in the NFL rulebook. It's confusing as hell on this issue.

As near as I can tell, that type of block would be an "illegal crack back block" (an offensive player lined up 2 yards or more outside the tackle, making contact with the defender below the waist) if it happened within 5 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. The definition for illegal crack-back block stipulates that it happens within 5 yards.

This block was 7-8 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I can't find another rule that applies, i.e. I don't see a "legal crack back" section anywhere. I certainly can be wrong. It is definitely illegal to make that kind of block from a receiver split out, if it is done within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, but I can't find a prohibition outside of 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

How about blocking below the waist downfield? Isn't that illegal now?

TXBRONC
01-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Seriously when has he ever made sense?

NightTrainLayne
01-26-2016, 03:39 PM
How about blocking below the waist downfield? Isn't that illegal now?

It may be, but I couldn't find it in the rule book.

spikerman
01-26-2016, 07:52 PM
The NFL rule may be different, but in college this is a legal block. You guys were talking about the "crack back" block earlier (not a term used in the rule book). Edelman would be restricted by his position from blocking back below the waist toward the original position of the ball, but it looks to me like he blocked him straight on (toward his goal line) and not toward the original position of the ball. Like I said, the NFL rule may be different, but I can't imagine that it's more restrictive than college.

NightTrainLayne
01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
The NFL rule may be different, but in college this is a legal block. You guys were talking about the "crack back" block earlier (not a term used in the rule book). Edelman would be restricted by his position from blocking back below the waist toward the original position of the ball, but it looks to me like he blocked him straight on (toward his goal line) and not toward the original position of the ball. Like I said, the NFL rule may be different, but I can't imagine that it's more restrictive than college.

Thanks Spiker. By the way, the NFL rule book does specifically list an "illegal crack back" block. But as I said, it would only apply within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, and as you say he does block him straight on.

TXBRONC
01-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks Spiker. By the way, the NFL rule book does specifically list an "illegal crack back" block. But as I said, it would only apply within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, and as you say he does block him straight on.

I still think Ward did the right thing by getting in Edledork's grill. He stayed in control of his emotions and gave him ample warning.

Joel
01-28-2016, 02:02 AM
I still think Ward did the right by getting in Edledork's grill. He stayed in control of his emotions and give him ample warning.
Really hoping he and Talib learned their lesson after The Eye-Poke Game. I know Kubiak tried really hard to make clear, before and after, publicly and otherwise, that that just draws all the wrong kinds of attention, until you end up ALWAYS getting flagged for every ticky-tack and borderline call because of your rep: If it's a judgement call, you're probably guilty, because you always are, and even if you're not, you always need reminders badly.

It HAS seemed like we've been "playing smart" since; Malik had already cleaned things up, IIRC, but Talib and Ward have stayed out of trouble, too. Not playing soft, or simply taking cheap shots when no one was looking (at least not that I've seen, but then, I guess I WOULDN't see; that's kind of the point.) They're still tough as nails, giving never an inch nor quarter, but don't blindside guys after the whistle or start stuff: They stand up, but avoid even the appearance of wrongdoing.

Stuff like this is why I contend Ware and Harris are our TRUE defensive leaders. No one ever called either of them soft OR dirty. They routinely CRUSH people, but always clean and without malice, like, "Hey, man, sorry I gotta blow you up now, but I'm gonna blow you up now. :)" Talented, mean AND SMART; that's a hard combo to beat. Miller and Talib get the stats, attention and money, but our D's a hollow shell when Harris or Ware is hurt.

That's not to say Roby and Webster or Barrett and Ray are bad, because they're all VERY good: They're just not Chris Harris Jr. or DeMarcus Ware.