PDA

View Full Version : Elway as GM

Northman
01-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Since coming to Denver has helped guide this team to 2 SB's already. The man is simply, da man.

MileHighCrew
01-24-2016, 07:09 PM
He has been everything and more that we all hoped he would be. Best in the NFL IMO

FusedWarrior
01-24-2016, 07:49 PM
The future is bright, gents

Poet
01-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Second only to Ozzie.

LawDog
01-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Second only to Ozzie.

Um, he overpaid Flacco after a single trip to the SB and missed the playoffs again this year. Ozzie is a good GM, but has been eclipsed by Elway.

Poet
01-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Um, he overpaid Flacco after a single trip to the SB and missed the playoffs again this year. Ozzie is a good GM, but has been eclipsed by Elway.

Ozzie has been doing it for a much longer time. That Flacco contract was a necessity, because you have to keep your franchise QB, and it does allow for the team to restructure in the coming years, which makes signing other players much easier. In regards to missing the playoffs, the Ravens suffered more injuries than anyone this year. They lost their starting QB, WR1, RB1, pass rusher, top draft pick, and their two starting corners. Other starters were lost as well. Elway has been a good drafter, but Newsome is a better drafter. Elway's primary success has come from signing free agents, so it will be interesting to see how the future pans out. I'm optimistic, but it's a stretch to claim Elway is superior to Newsome.

MileHighCrew
01-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Ozzie has been doing it for a much longer time. That Flacco contract was a necessity, because you have to keep your franchise QB, and it does allow for the team to restructure in the coming years, which makes signing other players much easier. In regards to missing the playoffs, the Ravens suffered more injuries than anyone this year. They lost their starting QB, WR1, RB1, pass rusher, top draft pick, and their two starting corners. Other starters were lost as well. Elway has been a good drafter, but Newsome is a better drafter. Elway's primary success has come from signing free agents, so it will be interesting to see how the future pans out. I'm optimistic, but it's a stretch to claim Elway is superior to Newsome.

You have great points, but I feel in Elway's short time he has taken that spot. Considering how awful the roster was when he took over and the changes and consistence he has had over that period of time I believe he is now the best GM. But Ozzie has had an amazing second career not taking anything from him

Poet
01-24-2016, 08:14 PM
You have great points, but I feel in Elway's short time he has taken that spot. Considering how awful the roster was when he took over and the changes and consistence he has had over that period of time I believe he is now the best GM. But Ozzie has had an amazing second career not taking anything from him

I think there's plenty of room to agree to disagree. From my stance, Elway IS on the proper trajectory to surpass Newsome.

MileHighCrew
01-24-2016, 08:16 PM
I think there's plenty of room to agree to disagree. From my stance, Elway IS on the proper trajectory to surpass Newsome.

Either way you look at it, pretty good position for Elway and the Broncos!!! Always class King.

Tned
01-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Elway has done an amazing job rebuilding the team from the wreck McDaniels created.

Let's not forget the balls it took to fire Fox after winning four straight divisions.

OrangeHoof
01-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Ozzie is a better drafter. Elway is better at building with free agents.

MileHighCrew
01-24-2016, 08:58 PM

Elway's draft record has been pretty freaking good.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Elway > God.

BroncoJoe
01-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Rock. Solid.

OrangeHoof
01-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Elway's draft record has been pretty freaking good.

Well, let's check the record:

2012 - this class started slow but is really building momentum. Overall: B+
---------
2nd - Derek Wolfe - injury setbacks but is showing now what he is capable of. B+
2nd - Brock Osweiler - In brief appearances, more than acceptable. B
3rd - Ronnie Hillman - Common of 3rd-round backs. Drops ball too much. B-
4th - Omar Bolden - Solid backup/ST material. C
5th - Philip Blake - Dud
6th - Malik Jackson - A gem for a 6th rounder. A
7th - Danny Trevathan - Solid starter in the 7th. A+

2013 - After Sly Williams, this class has been dismissed. Overall: C-
------
1st - Sylvester Williams - Solid starter in middle of D line. B
2nd - Montee Ball - Remember when he was compared to Eddie Lacy? D
3rd - Kayvon Webster - Hard to crack this secondary but he's been ordinary. C
5th - Quanterus Smith - Missing in action. D
5th - Taverras King - dud
6th - Vinston Painter - painted over
7th - Zac Dysert - hanging around practice squads. D

2014 - Nailed the Roby pick. The rest still an open question. Overall C+
======
1st - Bradley Roby - Occasional missteps made up with great playmaking skills. A
2nd - Cody Latimer - Expected more by now when guys like Norwood and Fowler have passed him. C-
3rd - Michael Schofield - The weakest link on the O line. C
5th - Lamin Barrow - Injuries have probably ruined his career. C-
6th - Matt Paradis - They found a starter in the 6th round but the line is so weak. B
7th - Corey Nelson - If he's still on the team, I haven't seen it. D

2015 - Unfair to grade since this soon. Max Garcia is the only starter but Sambrailo would have been
======
1st. Shane Ray - Looks like he has a future once Ware leaves.
2nd. Ty Sambrailo - I was not sold on him before his injury.
3rd. Jeff Heuerman - Jeff who-are-you-man spent all year on IR
4th. Max Garcia - For a fourth-round rookie, not a bad job.
5th. Lorenzo Doss - Bench material
6th. Darius Kilgo - D line depth
7th. Trevor Semien - No idea if he'll be any good.
7th. Taurean Nixon
7th. Josh Furman - It should be noted we found Bush and Keo at the bottom of the DB barrel, not these two.

Overall, Elway had an outstanding rookie year as a drafter and has nailed his first-rounders since then but his record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds after that are questionable at best. Clearly, Elway's talent is signing free agents like Manning, Ware, Talib, Sanders, Ward, Daniels, Welker, etc. to build an outstanding defense and have tools for Manning to succeed. The weak spot is the OL and this has more to do with Kubiak trying to find ZBS guys for his system and the injuries to Clady.

NightTerror218
01-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Sly needs more love lol.

Nobody thought he would do well due to his size. He has stuffed the middle well. How many NT do you hear their names called out in a 3-4. He does an amazing job. Gets attention so Wolfe Malik and edge rushers can make plays.

TXBRONC
01-25-2016, 11:23 AM

I disagree.

TXBRONC
01-25-2016, 11:36 AM

I don't if Elway has surpassed Newsome just yet. If Denver wins two Super Bowl while he is still the GM then no one will be muster any kind intelligent argument against them being equally the two best. If Elway can guide the team to more than two Super Bowl wins then it will be hard argue that he's not better than Newsome.

NightTrainLayne
01-25-2016, 12:52 PM

---------
2nd - Derek Wolfe - injury setbacks but is showing now what he is capable of. B+
5th - Philip Blake - Dud

------

======
1st - Bradley Roby - Occasional missteps made up with great playmaking skills. A
2nd - Cody Latimer - Expected more by now when guys like Norwood and Fowler have passed him. C-
6th - Matt Paradis - They found a starter in the 6th round but the line is so weak. B

2015 - Unfair to grade since this soon. Max Garcia is the only starter but Sambrailo would have been
======
7th. Taurean Nixon
7th. Josh Furman - It should be noted we found Bush and Keo at the bottom of the DB barrel, not these two.

Overall, Elway had an outstanding rookie year as a drafter and has nailed his first-rounders since then but his record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds after that are questionable at best. Clearly, Elway's talent is signing free agents like Manning, Ware, Talib, Sanders, Ward, Daniels, Welker, etc. to build an outstanding defense and have tools for Manning to succeed. The weak spot is the OL and this has more to do with Kubiak trying to find ZBS guys for his system and the injuries to Clady.

Am I the only one who thinks the Derek Wolfe pick deserves a solid "A"? Dude makes plays all along that D-line, from stuffing runs, to getting to the QB. Nobody really seemed to like the pick at the time, but I think it has paid off very well.

CoachChaz
01-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Derek Wolfe pick deserves a solid "A"? Dude makes plays all along that D-line, from stuffing runs, to getting to the QB. Nobody really seemed to like the pick at the time, but I think it has paid off very well.

As a 4-3 DE/DT hybrid, I gave him a solid C grade. The best thing that happened to him was moving to the 3-4. In this defense, I give him an A for what he can do against both the run and pass.

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2016, 01:02 PM
I think every team in every draft has busts, but I think the home run ratio elway has hit is better than average.

Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathon, Oz, Roby, Ray are all legit talents.

This does not even address some of the undrafted gems...CJ, BMarsh and Barrett.

I even love Webster, players who can plug and play while making meaningful plays on special teams are great additions. I love his drafts,

Tned
01-25-2016, 01:19 PM

Yes, his grades for Jackson and Wolfe are low.

DenBronx
01-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Elway = Homerun hitter.

Cugel
01-25-2016, 02:21 PM

---------
5th - Philip Blake - Dud

------

======

======
7th. Taurean Nixon

I'd agree with most of this. But there's the other half you ignore:

FA and trades.

Elway deserves a B+ for his drafting. Finding guys like Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan in the 6th and 7th round is great drafting. Drafting Montee Ball and Cody Latimer with 2nd round picks was bad. But, compared with McMoron's trading a 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder and then wasting it on Darcel McBath only to cut him, and wasting a bunch of draft picks to move up and get Tim Tebow, Elway has been like Albert Einstein.

But his trades and FA has been hit or miss.

F- for failing to make the Joe Thomas trade. That would have made this SB a slam dunk.

A+ for acquiring Emanuel Sanders. He's turned out to be a true #1 WR and their best offensive weapon, and he's not overpriced either. Great move.

A for signing Demarcus Ware and T.J. Ward. Both are veteran leaders on defense. Despite injury Ware has been great this season when healthy and is a key to victory in the SB. Ward is key to their secondary.

D for paying $4 M a year to sign TE Vernon Davis. Dude is Mr. Invisible and will be cut this off-season. I can understand the thinking but it was wasted money.

F- for not doing anything to acquire a really GOOD RT in FA forcing them to rely on Michael Schofield. Despite a decent game against the Pats he's been horrible this season. Maybe better next year, we'll see.

D for paying $4 M to Evan Mathis. This was a risky move since Mathis is 34 and coming off serious knee surgery a year ago. He was supposed to be a Pro-Bowl presence but has been injured an ineffective all year. He started yesterday but once again the OL was unable to open up the running game or give adequate protection to Peyton in the second half - leading to the Broncos only scoring 3 points in the half. He gets another week off before the SB. Here's hoping he can be more healthy in that game because that kind of offensive performance we saw against the Pats won't remotely be enough against Carolina.

B+ for acquiring Ryan Harris. He's not great, in fact he's been worse than mediocre much of the year, but he's playing out of position at LT. He's cheap and a starter on a SB team. Without him it would be a complete disaster so this was a very good move.

Overall you can see much more hits than misses, and even the misses are mostly acceptable risks (like Vernon Davis). His failures include not re-signing Brock Osweiler before the season - which would have saved at least $6 M a year or so and not re-signing Von Miller this off-season which will make Miller the highest paid defensive player or force them to franchise him. Also a good move was getting Peyton to take a $5 M pay cut in order to re-sign Chris Harris and D.T.

OrangeHoof
01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
I had to downgrade Malik a little for his penchant for drawing personal fouls. But he's a quality player for that low in the draft.

DenBronx
01-25-2016, 03:16 PM
That 2012 draft deserves an A+.

I am also very happy with Webster, Sly and especially Roby. Roby is a flat out baller!

TXBRONC
01-25-2016, 03:26 PM

FA and trades.

Elway deserves a B+ for his drafting. Finding guys like Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan in the 6th and 7th round is great drafting. Drafting Montee Ball and Cody Latimer with 2nd round picks was bad. But, compared with McMoron's trading a 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder and then wasting it on Darcel McBath only to cut him, and wasting a bunch of draft picks to move up and get Tim Tebow, Elway has been like Albert Einstein.

F- for failing to make the Joe Thomas trade. That would have made this SB a slam dunk.

A+ for acquiring Emanuel Sanders. He's turned out to be a true #1 WR and their best offensive weapon, and he's not overpriced either. Great move.

A for signing Demarcus Ware and T.J. Ward. Both are veteran leaders on defense. Despite injury Ware has been great this season when healthy and is a key to victory in the SB. Ward is key to their secondary.

D for paying $4 M a year to sign TE Vernon Davis. Dude is Mr. Invisible and will be cut this off-season. I can understand the thinking but it was wasted money.

F- for not doing anything to acquire a really GOOD RT in FA forcing them to rely on Michael Schofield. Despite a decent game against the Pats he's been horrible this season. Maybe better next year, we'll see.

D for paying $4 M to Evan Mathis. This was a risky move since Mathis is 34 and coming off serious knee surgery a year ago. He was supposed to be a Pro-Bowl presence but has been injured an ineffective all year. He started yesterday but once again the OL was unable to open up the running game or give adequate protection to Peyton in the second half - leading to the Broncos only scoring 3 points in the half. He gets another week off before the SB. Here's hoping he can be more healthy in that game because that kind of offensive performance we saw against the Pats won't remotely be enough against Carolina.

B+ for acquiring Ryan Harris. He's not great, in fact he's been worse than mediocre much of the year, but he's playing out of position at LT. He's cheap and a starter on a SB team. Without him it would be a complete disaster so this was a very good move.

Overall you can see much more hits than misses, and even the misses are mostly acceptable risks (like Vernon Davis). His failures include not re-signing Brock Osweiler before the season - which would have saved at least $6 M a year or so and not re-signing Von Miller this off-season which will make Miller the highest paid defensive player or force them to franchise him. Also a good move was getting Peyton to take a $5 M pay cut in order to re-sign Chris Harris and D.T.

No. Not selling the farm for one player is not a failure. It was a smart move.

You're criticizing Elway for not getting a right tackle but complementing for getting Harris. Well Harris was signed as a right tackle.

The only problem with signing Mathis was that it came at the end of the preseason and he was playing catch up all season long.

Dapper Dan
01-25-2016, 04:06 PM
I had to downgrade Malik a little for his penchant for drawing personal fouls. But he's a quality player for that low in the draft.

I've posted the numbers before. He really doesn't have too many PFs. He has about 5 total penalties all season.

Dapper Dan
01-25-2016, 04:08 PM
In my opinion, by far the best thing Elway has done is put together a deep team. Opponents do NOT get a break. They get 60 minutes of fight against a quality opponent. Everyone gets injuries and everyone gets tired. But a deep team can overcome that.

MOtorboat
01-25-2016, 04:12 PM
His moves have been stellar, almost to a T. Ultimately, on the field we are now five years in and haven't lost the division once, have a first round bye four times, the No. 1 seed three times and have won two AFC titles. His resume, in terms of franchise success, is unmatched.

It's been a resounding success.

FA and trades.

Your obsession with the Joe Thomas trade is unhealthy.

MileHighCrew
01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Latimer played great yesterday. Dude is better than has been displayed so far.

tripp
01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
No other way to put it, he's a natural born winner.

artie_dale
01-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Since coming to Denver has helped guide this team to 2 SB's already. The man is simply, da man.

Since Jan 2011 (when he was named EVP), 2 Super Bowls visits, a playoff birth each season since, division champs, conference champs... Hopefully we get to add a Super Bowl win in a couple weeks.

Next season the team will be forced to take a step back (all that defensive talent due for contract negotiations). I know we can't keep'em all, but Elways nose for identifying talent whether in the draft or FA, I'm confident we'll be contending for a while.

OrangeHoof
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Actually, if we don't re-sign Manning, we should have some room for most of the free agents, maybe not all. If I'm an FA, do I give back a million or two to stay in Denver and hopefully make it back in playoff money?

Dapper Dan
01-25-2016, 05:44 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned, but he also gave us our orange back. :lol:

Tned
01-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Blast from the past, this is what Florio of Pro Football Talk said about the Elway hiring:

Sorry, folks, but we remain very skeptical about this. Elway is getting the job without paying the dues. Watching film with his father and running an AFL franchise isn’t the kind of experience necessary to run an NFL team, and it’s sort of an insult to the men who have earned their stripes by grinding for years, learning the business from the bottom up and earning each next rung on the ladder.

It’s almost as if Bowlen and Ellis don’t know what else to do, so they’ll give the keys to a guy whose only real qualifications are his ability to throw a ball and the fact that his presence will sell tickets and/or restore hope, false as it may be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/05/broncos-give-the-keys-to-john-elway/

OrangeHoof
01-25-2016, 10:28 PM
...and it’s sort of an insult to the men who have earned their stripes by grinding for years, learning the business from the bottom up and earning each next rung on the ladder.

Excuse me, but isn't this *exactly* the way sports tv analysts are chosen? Piss on the guys who worked their way up the broadcasting chain. Let's give the mic to some illiterate jock who happened to win a scoring title or an MVP recently. Troy Aikman was so terrible when he started at Fox that he had to bring his blocking back with him into the booth for fear that Joe Buck might ask him a tough question and Moose could just pick up the blitz.

MOtorboat
01-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Excuse me, but isn't this *exactly* the way sports tv analysts are chosen? Piss on the guys who worked their way up the broadcasting chain. Let's give the mic to some illiterate jock who happened to win a scoring title or an MVP recently. Troy Aikman was so terrible when he started at Fox that he had to bring his blocking back with him into the booth for fear that Joe Buck might ask him a tough question and Moose could just pick up the blitz.

Who exactly are they stepping on?

I can't think of a single booth analyst who isn't a former player or coach. MNF failed with Dennis Miller and Tony Kornheiser. But that's the only two examples I can think of where it was not a former athlete or coach.

There are lots of GMs who did not play football. It's a different scenario entirely.

NightTerror218
01-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Webster is a ST ace. I think he will be the future ST captain. He is also a great backup CB too.

Latimer is also stepping it up on ST too.

These are the type of back ups we need that are not returners. Great ST players who are good back ups. Latimer is getting better at WR. A couple big catches last couple days. Dude has talent but I think the learning curve of 2 offenses is killing him. He struggled to learn Gases offense and now a new offense this year.

tomjonesrocks
01-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Latimer is an enigma. Huge and has all the tools. We know he's a near elite blocking WR. But most of the year he couldn't get on the field with guys like Caldwell and Norwood in front of him.

Harris always said he was great in practice also. It's hard to understand why he hasn't been able to contribute more. To justify anything close to that selection he should at least have a few 100 yard games and TDs under his belt.

Agree the Webster grade looks too low after his playoff game vs Pittsburgh.

Hawgdriver
01-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Acquiring Ware and hiring Wade...think about it.

Dapper Dan
01-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Just look at the 2012 Denver draft class and your mind will explode.