PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Davis patiently working hard for return to larger role

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2016, 10:49 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Patience didn't always come easy for Vernon Davis, and as the Broncos prepare for what could either be their final or penultimate game of the season, he has needed it now more than perhaps ever before in his career.

After arriving in Denver in a midseason trade, Davis had to put his mind to quick use to learn a new offense. After playing nine snaps in his first game as a Bronco against Indianapolis in Week 9, he gradually became active, playing between 34 and 61 snaps in each of the following six games. But in the three weeks following Week 15's loss to Pittsburgh, Davis has played just 12 total snaps (five against Cincinnati, six against San Diego and one against the Steelers in the Divisional Round).

"I started off playing a lot when I first got here, as you guys know," Davis said. "Then all of a sudden, they started adding more plays and the playbook started getting bigger, and it's just been tough on me."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Vernon-Davis-patiently-working-hard-for-return-to-larger-role/40f9d541-db45-4b12-8c94-b9f9cda404c3

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2016, 10:51 PM
from same article:

"If you're out there [and] you don't really know what you're doing, you're going to be thinking, and not only that — you limit yourself," Davis said. "There's only so many places or positions [Head] Coach [Gary Kubiak] can place you because you don't know everything. This offense, it's a complex offense. It's not easy; it takes time."

The 10-year veteran said he's had difficulty adjusting to learning the offense on the fly during the season, and in that process—which also included two quarterback changes—his role has lessened recently.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Vernon-Davis-patiently-working-hard-for-return-to-larger-role/40f9d541-db45-4b12-8c94-b9f9cda404c3

Davii
01-21-2016, 11:04 PM
I hope he's got it and contributes this week.

Bronco4ever
01-22-2016, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure if his limited looks in the passing game are from those bad drops, but nonetheless, I hope he plays hungry if he gets some chances. He can be a big asset if he's focused and not worried about getting hit. Also, I hope he runs forward.

DenBronx
01-22-2016, 01:43 AM
The drops have damaged this offense more than the scheme. It's not just one guy either, it's most of them. I really hope these guys can get it going Sunday and build momentum heading into the SB. If they drop passes like they have been all year we will be toast!!!

tripp
01-22-2016, 02:03 AM
I'll give Vernon Davis the benefit of the doubt. Showed up mid season, had to learn a completely new play book, and couldn't adapt to it as quickly as we hoped. He came in for some packages, dropped a few passes, and that has been his story as a Bronco so far. I can't entirely blame him for his effort here in Denver. Dropped passes don't help, but DT has dropped a shit ton this season too.

I remain hopeful we give him a shot, but I don't see that happening unless he puts on a clinic Sunday. Front office needs to see something. Unless this TE from Ohio St we drafted last year is supposed to be the second coming of Shannon Sharpe, I don't see how we don't retain the services of Vernon Davis. With ALL that being said, I thought we re-signed Virgil Green so that he could be given a shot to fill Julius Thomas' role? That's why he's here right?

Joel
01-22-2016, 02:17 AM
Ask Shannon Sharpe how critical a true TE is in Kubiaks offense: Neither glorified WRs NOR OTs can cut it, only legit TEs like Daniels, (maybe) Green and Davis. But that's also the order of how well they KNOW this very complex offense, so Daniels and Green are usually better options than Davis. If we just needed a guy to block whoever lines up in front of him and run flies, Davis would be fine: But our offense places far greater blocking and receiving demands on starting and even sub TEs.

I've wanted Davis since 2013, precisely because he IS elite in both halves of a TEs game, but one big difference between Madden NFL and the real one is learning playbooks, which is a lot harder to do midseason. Hopefully Davis has gotten it now, because that would make him a HUGE—game changing—playoff asset; he could be our Gronk, a far better blocker than Sharpe, and faster to boot. But until/unless he's ready, benching Daniels or Green for him is a liability.

I'm interested to see if we re-sign a guy who remains a VERY good all around TE. Daniels is good, but 34 next year; he was never fast, but now he's slowing. Green's under contract two more years and is a reliable blocker who's shown occasional flashes as a receiver, but, at least for now, isn't in Davis' elite class in either category. And Davis' 2015 didn't help his already-falling stock, so he may come cheap—but is a guy who turns 32 in a week worth even a couple million/yr?

According to the NFL (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000626164/article/kubiak-on-vernon-davis-i-expect-him-to-help-us-out), Kubiak said yesterday that he "expect[s Davis] to help us out," but the article also claims Davis has gained us less than we gave SF even in the form of a couple late conditional picks (not sure how that's possible, but alright.) It also reminds us that switching QBs Davis' first month, then switching BACK two months later, made the job of learning a complex playbook without benefit of an offseason or half the regular season that much harder.

arapaho2
01-22-2016, 11:30 AM
The drops have damaged this offense more than the scheme. It's not just one guy either, it's most of them. I really hope these guys can get it going Sunday and build momentum heading into the SB. If they drop passes like they have been all year we will be toast!!!

sometimes I wonder if the scheme isn't contributing to the drops...if we watch our offense the routes nearly always seem to have almost instantaneous tackles, rarely do you ever see a wide open wr catching a ball, whether its a post , or crossing, on the fly smoothly transitioning from wr to runner...most are sideline throws or they set down in a catch the ball and get hit...rarely do you see our wrs get YAC unless they break the initial tackle...they know they gonna get hit

its no excuse though

Ravage!!!
01-22-2016, 11:55 AM
He better hurry, because he's pretty much been a flop here, so far. I hope he does something pretty quickly, as this is it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Catch.the.ball.

The Glue Factory
01-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Catch.the.ball.

Before you start to run!

LTC Pain
01-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Catch the ball and make some plays. Hell, destroy a Patriot on a nice crack-back block!

Ravage!!!
01-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Catch the ball and make some plays. Hell, destroy a Patriot on a nice crack-back block!

That will just draw a penalty, though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Before you start to run!
Look the ball in!

Davii
01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
look the ball in!

then run!

tripp
01-22-2016, 03:31 PM
And when you're running with the ball, make sure it's secure so we don't turn the ball over. Kthx.

The Glue Factory
01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
then run!

Emphasis on THEN!

DenBronx
01-22-2016, 04:14 PM

sometimes I wonder if the scheme isn'tj contributing to the drops...if we watch our offense the routes nearly always seem to have almost instantaneous tackles, rarely do you ever see a wide open wr catching a ball, whether its a post , or crossing, on the fly smoothly transitioning from wr to runner...most are sideline throws or they set down in a catch the ball and get hit...rarely do you see our wrs get YAC unless they break the initial tackle...they know they gonna get hit

its no excuse though

That is a good point. We have the same WRs that seemed to be able to catch better in the last scheme. I think the it's a timing issue with this scheme and less protection for the QB. Meaning I think Manning has to get rid of it quicker than he did in previous years here bc of of a lack of protection. The end result is a WR not being ready for the catch that soon.

I'm with you on the no excuses part. This is the AFCCG and they have had the whole year to work on it.

BroncoBuckeye73
01-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Ever since we got him in the trade I have been waitng for Vernon to have a big game but he just seems to be a shell of himself, I hope he does it Sunday but not holding my breath

BroncoBuckeye73
01-22-2016, 06:16 PM
One of you mentioned Heureman for Ohio State as a lifelong Buckeye fan I can say that he will be on par or better then Daniels was in his prime, good blocker good hands and a tough reciever over the middle with deceptive speed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Ever since we got him in the trade I have been waitng for Vernon to have a big game but he just seems to be a shell of himself, I hope he does it Sunday but not holding my breath

He is still the fastest te in football, and has provided good blocking when in the games. He has just dropped too many freaking passes.

underrated29
01-22-2016, 07:23 PM
One of you mentioned Heureman for Ohio State as a lifelong Buckeye fan I can say that he will be on par or better then Daniels was in his prime, good blocker good hands and a tough reciever over the middle with deceptive speed.

I really liked him last year. I had us going TE later in the year, but for this system I have very very high hopes. I cannot wait to see him in Camp or Pre-season. See if he has it or not.

NightTerror218
01-22-2016, 07:25 PM
He is still the fastest te in football, and has provided good blocking when in the games. He has just dropped too many freaking passes.

He does not want to take hits.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2016, 06:20 AM

49ers fans speak of Davis pretty much the same way most of this forum speaks of JT. They thought he was a *****.

While I openly mocked he was an "upgrade" to JT I hope we see him in action this week. He can still get open.

Joel
01-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Then he should reconsider his career choice; wouldn't be the first, especially since the NFLs CTE coverup stopped working. I've always liked the guy, and still do, but if he doesn't show up this weekend he can pretty much stick a fork in his career anyway: His contract's up, he just got traded for basically NOTHING, and he's DONE nothing since to justify PAYING him more than nothing. His ONLY chance to improve that narrative before the offseason is reaching the SB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2016, 12:03 PM
49ers fans speak of Davis pretty much the same way most of this forum speaks of JT. They thought he was a *****.

While I openly mocked he was an "upgrade" to JT I hope we see him in action this week. He can still get open.

I will admit, I miss JT's catching radius.

artie_dale
01-23-2016, 02:08 PM
I lost all faith in Vernon Davis already. I think this article and what he and Kubes is saying, is only to save face.

The reason I lost faith in Vernon Davis is because he, in his actions on the field, reinforced what a SF fan shared with me. And what he shared was that Vernon Davis hasn't been the same aggressive/tough player he used to be, ever since Kam Chancellor put a vicious it on him a few years ago. I didn't want to believe it at the time, but I saw it while he was on the field during each game he was thrown to.

The dropped passes are obvious, but it was the plays where he would go backwards after he caught the ball where I was like "WTF ARE YOU DOING GOING BACKWARDS?!?!?" He did that consistently for two or three consecutive games, and I honestly believe THAT is the reason he hasn't been given any game time. Fricken scared. Smh. What a waste of a 7th round pick.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2016, 02:21 PM
I lost all faith in Vernon Davis already. I think this article and what he and Kubes is saying, is only to save face. The reason I lost faith in Vernon Davis is because he, in his actions on the field, reinforced what a SF fan shared with me. And what he shared was that Vernon Davis hasn't been the same aggressive/tough player he used to be, ever since Kam Chancellor put a vicious it on him a few years ago. I didn't want to believe it at the time, but I saw it while he was on the field during each game he was thrown to. The dropped passes are obvious, but it was the plays where he would go backwards after he caught the ball where I was like "WTF ARE YOU DOING GOING BACKWARDS?!?!?" He did that consistently for two or three consecutive games, and I honestly believe THAT is the reason he hasn't been given any game time. Fricken scared. Smh. What a waste of a 7th round pick.

Yep. Heard the same. Which made all the posts about how we were getting a REAL man at TE vs that sap JT a little ironic.

Valar Morghulis
01-23-2016, 03:02 PM
I will admit, I miss JT's catching radius.

In quite an effective jags offense, his stats this year are very close to owen Daniels

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2016, 03:17 PM
In quite an effective jags offense, his stats this year are very close to owen Daniels
I didn't say I missed him. :D