PDA

View Full Version : We Gotta Run the Ball.

WARHORSE
01-21-2016, 02:27 AM
Plain and simple. Has anyone seen a pitch left or right since the Patriot game?

Me neither. Both Hillman and CJ can run outside.

But CJ is the man to run inside against this defense. His cuts in the hole are more compact vs Hillmans swinging hips. He is the

quintessential one cut get downhill back for this offense.

If we run the ball.....they will have to crowd the line.

Lets smash the ball down their throats.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 02:42 AM
Yea

Joel
01-21-2016, 02:45 AM
Well, yeah; that's been true since Baltimore got a final regulation possession in 2012 because Hillman made 3 straight runs for only 2 yds. The question is and was whether our OTs and pulling Gs can get outside soon enough and lead block well enough to springboard those tosses and sweeps into the second level, where CJ or Hillman either get a long TD if they make a guy miss, or a 5-6 yd gain if they don't. More to the point, the questions are:

1) Can our OTs block straight ahead and our Gs pull fast enough LBs don't swarm through to take out the RBs knees before he can GET outside or, failing that,
2) Delay edge rushers and inside stunts long enough our elite WRs can get downfield and Manning go through his progressions to find an open one on 3rd and long?

In the Manning Era, our usual answer to both has been 8307

That's why 2012s team couldn't finish the job in regulation and 2013s got blown out of the SB literally from kickoff to gun despite the Best Passing EVAH111 This team excels at turning 3 yd plunges into -2, and 5 yd end runs into -4, or just committing holding penalties or false starts to negate the rare good runs—then castigates our bum first ballot HoFer for not bailing out ALL the MANY 3rd and 13s just because of a little thing like having three guys on him at the snap (much like our RBs.)

Help us, Deni-Son: You're our only hope....

MOtorboat
01-21-2016, 03:17 AM
Nope.

We gotta get first downs. By any means necessary.

Joel
01-21-2016, 04:21 AM
Nope.

We gotta get first downs. By any means necessary.
No: By EVERY means necessary. Using just ONE is only marginally better than none; if NE* wins this game, I almost pity them trying to beat Carolina or Arizonas Ds with a team that doesn't even run as well as ours (nor STOP the run nearly as well.) It's complementary football all the way down. ;)

MOtorboat
01-21-2016, 04:43 AM
No: By EVERY means necessary. Using just ONE is only marginally better than none; if NE* wins this game, I almost pity them trying to beat Carolina or Arizonas Ds with a team that doesn't even run as well as ours (nor STOP the run nearly as well.) It's complementary football all the way down. ;)

Denver's offense stalls and the drops and lack of concentration start to happen when Kubiak gets conservative and starts running on first and second down and is left with 3rd and medium to long.

You avoid that by scrapping the shitty running game until you've effectively got them on their toes. They did that early against Pittsburgh until they were firmly in field goal position and Kubiak decided to shit the bed with a bunch of runs and third and longs. The results? Six ******* points.

Attack. Get first downs on first and second down instead of hoping for third and two.

Joel
01-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Denver's offense stalls and the drops and lack of concentration start to happen when Kubiak gets conservative and starts running on first and second down and is left with 3rd and medium to long.

You avoid that by scrapping the shitty running game until you've effectively got them on their toes. They did that early against Pittsburgh until they were firmly in field goal position and Kubiak decided to shit the bed with a bunch of runs and third and longs. The results? Six ******* points.

Attack. Get first downs on first and second down instead of hoping for third and two.
Well, I do agree that WHEN we pass, it should be for immediate first (or touch)downs, not just an attempt to achieve as little as most runs but with far more risk.

However, who says "matriculating the ball down the field" isn't attacking? If you're advancing, you're attacking, and as long as you have possession the opponents have no chance to score (and very little chance of possession while you're running.) And the whole time their D is getting tired, bruised and demoralized while yours—isn't. There's nothing (in football) more satisfying than watching an elite QB helplessly pace his sideline as your walkoff score BURNS off the last half of the 4th qtr.

Here's the real thing though: Sure, passing gains more yards, first downs and TDs faster than running—don't you think every coach in the history of football knows that as well as you, I and everyone else? Given a CHOICE, which would YOU prioritize DEFENSIVELY: A 3-4 yd plunge, or a 50 yd deep post to your red/end zone? So why would ANY good pass D allow an opening in its secondary or stop sending all its pass rushers straight for the QB?

Because the offense calls 3 of those safe small 4 yd runs so often for so long that they keep getting first downs and closer and closer to the goal line: Then the D's FORCED to cheat a safety down and delay the pass rushers at least long enough to CHECK whether the RB has the ball.

Sure, the WCO can do the same, but even the best QBs and WRs will misconnect on about a third of those, with some big sacks and the occasional pick-six thrown in: Running gains as much as short passes much more safely and, far more importantly, involves different players. Getting the D to bring a safety down to cover a TE or WR short doesn't get them out of coverage: It just MOVES their coverage. And all it does to the pass rush is force it to reach the QB even FASTER.

Denvers offense stalls when our running game doesn't WORK on 1st and 2nd down, so we get 3rd and medium to long instead of the 3rd and short to medium we SHOULD get in a league where even an AVERAGE run has been worth 4+ yds since the '30s. Just because we SUCK at it doesn't make it a bad idea: It just means we suck at something every team should do reasonably well. It's not like we're lighting teams up passing, even on 1st down (which Kirwan seems to feel we do a lot.)

Our passing game doesn't suck because of underuse, any more than our run game sucks because of overuse: They BOTH suck because our LINE does.

MOtorboat
01-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Well, I do agree that WHEN we pass, it should be for immediate first (or touch)downs, not just an attempt to achieve as little as most runs but with far more risk.

However, who says "matriculating the ball down the field" isn't attacking? If you're advancing, you're attacking, and as long as you have possession the opponents have no chance to score (and very little chance of possession while you're running.) And the whole time their D is getting tired, bruised and demoralized while yours—isn't. There's nothing (in football) more satisfying than watching an elite QB helplessly pace his sideline as your walkoff score BURNS off the last half of the 4th qtr.

Here's the real thing though: Sure, passing gains more yards, first downs and TDs faster than running—don't you think every coach in the history of football knows that as well as you, I and everyone else? Given a CHOICE, which would YOU prioritize DEFENSIVELY: A 3-4 yd plunge, or a 50 yd deep post to your red/end zone? So why would ANY good pass D allow an opening in its secondary or stop sending all its pass rushers straight for the QB?

Because the offense calls 3 of those safe small 4 yd runs so often for so long that they keep getting first downs and closer and closer to the goal line: Then the D's FORCED to cheat a safety down and delay the pass rushers at least long enough to CHECK whether the RB has the ball.

Sure, the WCO can do the same, but even the best QBs and WRs will misconnect on about a third of those, with some big sacks and the occasional pick-six thrown in: Running gains as much as short passes much more safely and, far more importantly, involves different players. Getting the D to bring a safety down to cover a TE or WR short doesn't get them out of coverage: It just MOVES their coverage. And all it does to the pass rush is force it to reach the QB even FASTER.

Denvers offense stalls when our running game doesn't WORK on 1st and 2nd down, so we get 3rd and medium to long instead of the 3rd and short to medium we SHOULD get in a league where even an AVERAGE run has been worth 4+ yds since the '30s. Just because we SUCK at it doesn't make it a bad idea: It just means we suck at something every team should do reasonably well. It's not like we're lighting teams up passing, even on 1st down (which Kirwan seems to feel we do a lot.)

Our passing game doesn't suck because of underuse, any more than our run game sucks because of overuse: They BOTH suck because our LINE does.

Coordinators need to stop fearing turnovers on 4 percent of the plays and start being creative on the other 96 percent.

Joel
01-21-2016, 06:27 AM
Coordinators need to stop fearing turnovers on 4 percent of the plays and start being creative on the other 96 percent.
If it were still 1916 instead of 2016, I'd agree; as it is, they're fully capable of being creative without added turnover risks.

Anyway, there's always SOME risk, so the biggest thing is making sure the potential reward's at least as great. That, and giving the D a reason not throw 7-8 man coverage/pass rushes out there every down. Whether coverage is short or deep doesn't matter as long as receivers are outnumbered 2:1 or can't beat the jam before a sack. Forcing safeties and LBs to chase RBs instead of WRs and QBs yields BIG rewards, but they must be FORCED, and that requires 3-5 yd runs, not 1-3 yd.

It should go without saying by now that if the offensive line can't block for runs OR passes we're just debating which way we prefer to lose.

Northman
01-21-2016, 06:31 AM

Wait? Now you are saying they drop balls because its too much pressure to catch a 7 or 13 yd pass? lmao

Joel
01-21-2016, 07:11 AM
The only way to avoid 3rd and long is to 1) run or 2) avoid 3rd down ITSELF. If a team mostly passes, mostly as conversion attempts, most 3rd and longs will be due to sacks/incompletes: Because it wouldn't be in 3RD and anything if it had completed a 1st OR 2nd down pass. And if it's mostly passing for LESS than conversion yardage, that's like spending every paycheck on lottery tickets instead of CDs because "it's the same risk, but gains a lot more."

As long as a team wins every down it never punts; it only takes 4 yds to win 1st and 10, only 5 to win 2nd and 10, but 3rd and 10 is all-or-nothing (unless they go for 4th, but that's a whole other debate, in which it takes even LESS to win 1st/2nd and 10.) A decent offense can win most downs running unless the D commits extra resources to stopping it: Because D will commit them to the more dangerous PASS until/unless forced to stop the run. THEN the offense can take kill shots.

If there's any doubt of all that, consider this: How many teams play nickel and dime as much as or MORE than their "base"? Even though nickel and dime INVITE runs.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Wait? Now you are saying they drop balls because its too much pressure to catch a 7 or 13 yd pass? lmao

I think he was leaning more towards..

You have 3 chances to throw it 10 yards. If you run it and dont do much (like we do a lot), then you have 1 chance to gain those 8-10 yards.

Northman
01-21-2016, 08:14 AM
I think he was leaning more towards..

You have 3 chances to throw it 10 yards. If you run it and dont do much (like we do a lot), then you have 1 chance to gain those 8-10 yards.

It still doesnt make a lot of sense. 9 times out of 10 the passes dropped are when they are wide open. If they cant catch wide open passes something is seriously wrong and it has nothing to do with running the ball.

Davii
01-21-2016, 09:36 AM
It still doesnt make a lot of sense. 9 times out of 10 the passes dropped are when they are wide open. If they cant catch wide open passes something is seriously wrong and it has nothing to do with running the ball.

Agreed, there is most certainly an issue with dropped passes, especially when wide open, hit in the hands, chest, etc. Is the issue that our receivers are hot garbage? Probably not. Could it be timing, rhythm, etc? Sure. If you only throw it three times per drive (if the drive lasts past one), it's harder for receivers and QB to build a rhythm.

I'm not saying that's the problem, and I expect a HUGE improvement from our offense this week, but it very well could be.

Northman
01-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Agreed, there is most certainly an issue with dropped passes, especially when wide open, hit in the hands, chest, etc. Is the issue that our receivers are hot garbage? Probably not. Could it be timing, rhythm, etc? Sure. If you only throw it three times per drive (if the drive lasts past one), it's harder for receivers and QB to build a rhythm.

I'm not saying that's the problem, and I expect a HUGE improvement from our offense this week, but it very well could be.

I dont know, i dont ever remember Elway and company having that many drops and we ran the ball a lot when TD was on the team. Manning has worked with these guys for at least 3 years so im not really sure how much more rhythm is to be had. If they cant get chemistry after 3 years its probably never going to happen. Ive never in all my time of watching professional football have seen a team not be able to utilize a running game with a balance of run and pass. Its mind boggling that people think that having a running game hurts the passing attack. All these idiots have to do is actually catch the pass and extend the drives, its just that simple.

Davii
01-21-2016, 09:53 AM
I dont know, i dont ever remember Elway and company having that many drops and we ran the ball a lot when TD was on the team. Manning has worked with these guys for at least 3 years so im not really sure how much more rhythm is to be had. If they cant get chemistry after 3 years its probably never going to happen. Ive never in all my time of watching professional football have seen a team not be able to utilize a running game with a balance of run and pass. Its mind boggling that people think that having a running game hurts the passing attack. All these idiots have to do is actually catch the pass and extend the drives, its just that simple.

I think what's being said is when there isn't balance is when we have a problem. The run, run, pass on third and long is the problem. Only passing in obvious passing situations, etc. I don't think it happens as much as others do, but there have definitely been periods in nearly every game where we're just not doing anything to leave any sort of mystery or guesswork to our offense whatsoever.

Northman
01-21-2016, 09:58 AM
I think what's being said is when there isn't balance is when we have a problem. The run, run, pass on third and long is the problem. Only passing in obvious passing situations, etc. I don't think it happens as much as others do, but there have definitely been periods in nearly every game where we're just not doing anything to leave any sort of mystery or guesswork to our offense whatsoever.

While i dont think Kubiak could be as creative as he could be its hard to say the system or scheme doesnt work when the guys who are supposed to be playmakers arent making plays. DT has a shitload of stats but he has some costly drops in big moments for us which is frustrating when he is being paid to make those kinds of plays. But from what im getting from MO is he wants to just air it out and we cant do that because it hasnt worked all year when we have tried to do that with Manning. The turnovers are just to costly.

NightTerror218
01-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Plain and simple. Has anyone seen a pitch left or right since the Patriot game?

Me neither. Both Hillman and CJ can run outside.

But CJ is the man to run inside against this defense. His cuts in the hole are more compact vs Hillmans swinging hips. He is the

quintessential one cut get downhill back for this offense.

If we run the ball.....they will have to crowd the line.

Lets smash the ball down their throats.

The pitch happened in the game after the pats and was eaten alive.

Davii
01-21-2016, 10:01 AM
While i dont think Kubiak could be as creative as he could be its hard to say the system or scheme doesnt work when the guys who are supposed to be playmakers arent making plays. DT has a shitload of stats but he has some costly drops in big moments for us which is frustrating when he is being paid to make those kinds of plays. But from what im getting from MO is he wants to just air it out and we cant do that because it hasnt worked all year when we have tried to do that with Manning. The turnovers are just to costly.

I don't want to see us just air it out, but I do believe there's a time for us to do so in the game. I agree with you, I don't think Kubiak is as creative as he could be, and if he got a little more creative I think this offense, his offense, could be much better.

NightTerror218
01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Running the ball eats more clock and keeps Brady off the field. If broncos can ensure to score on all drives and not just FG then we are good. If we get it to a shoot out passing the ball we have enough already lost. That is not how thus offense works. If the run game fails our offense does as well. This is what has happened all season.

That being said I want to see some more hurry up no huddle mixed into this game.

Northman
01-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Running the ball eats more clock and keeps Brady off the field. If broncos can ensure to score on all drives and not just FG then we are good. If we get it to a shoot out passing the ball we have enough already lost. That is not how thus offense works. If the run game fails our offense does as well. This is what has happened all season.

That being said I want to see some more hurry up no huddle mixed into this game.

I recently saw a replay vid of the game from 2013 and that is exactly what Denver did, they kept Brady on the bench for most of the first half and we ended up winning that game pretty easily.

Davii
01-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I recently saw a replay vid of the game from 2013 and that is exactly what Denver did, they kept Brady on the bench for most of the first half and we ended up winning that game pretty easily.

And hopefully that's what we do in three days time.

The Glue Factory
01-21-2016, 10:29 AM

In the first half so the defense is much more spent during the second half. I want to see the Splats* defense sucking wind half way through the third quarter.

NightTrainLayne
01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
I've been saying for a while now that our running game is the key to successful offense for us. No matter which QB is behind center.

If we can have successful runs (3-5 yards consistently) early in the downs, and stay ahead of the chains, converting 3rd and short, or avoiding 3rd down altogether becomes likely. We are not great at 3rd and long.

I said last week that if every drive ends with a kick we will be okay (i.e. no turnovers, every drive ends with a punt or a FG attempt). This week, we will need more than just FG's occassionally going in, but if we find ourselves in 3rd and long, a kick is not a bad outcome with our defense. If we can play turnover free, and/or force one from the *Pats (not likely), we'll be okay. Run the ball, eat the clock, throw to keep them off-balance, and eventually we'll wear them down, defense has to play lights out.

underrated29
01-21-2016, 11:47 AM
The run game will be the key to our success no doubt. I say it comes down to us making sure we get 7 points and we keep them to 3 points. If we can do this 3-4 times then it is Denver Broncos Super Bowl 50 time!

WARHORSE
01-21-2016, 12:02 PM
If we run the ball successfully then we can only hope that our 70 million dollar man will show up and have a 10 catch 170 yard two touchdown game........wouldnt that be like a hot cup of cocoa..?

If we run and consistently get into third and shorts, only to have Manning hit DT in the hands only to watch it clank off the backboard, thats going to be VERY frustrating.....and cheer killing.

That would be like having to drink icewater the whole game in 30 degree weather......brrrrrr.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Well, looks like Joel pwns Mo today.. again.

as for the Op, yeah, I agree, it would be nice to see a running game in Denver. I'm a run first type of fan. Put defenses against the ropes, wear them down, and THEN torch the secondary.

I've seen Hillman and CJ run outside several times lately so I'm not sure what you are proposing with this thread.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 12:44 PM

I think the solution is pretty simple. Tell our receivers to slow down and be less open.

The Glue Factory
01-21-2016, 12:56 PM
I think the solution is pretty simple. Tell our receivers to slow down and be less open.

Nope. The receivers need to catch the ball BEFORE running for more yards. Very simple solution to MOST of the dropped pass problem.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 01:02 PM
no offense (and no pun for that matter), but I'm still not sure why this thread was conceived. running the ball in a football game, and doing so effectively, does seem to affect game outcome. yes, that is interesting I suppose

MOtorboat
01-21-2016, 01:38 PM

I don't know why they drop balls and it's not causation, per se, but Thomas, Sanders and Hillman dropped balls on third and long after failed early down rushes and I believe Anderson's was second and long. When you're pressing to make a play you could make a mistake. I don't think that's an outlandish idea at all.

The Glue Factory
01-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Nothing else to talk about? *shrugs*

PatriotsGuy
01-21-2016, 02:33 PM
I think the relative health of Hightower will impact your ability to run, when he is in the run D is markedly improved. He has a banged up knee so I don't know how "healthy" he is going to be.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I think the relative health of Hightower will impact your ability to run, when he is in the run D is markedly improved. He has a banged up knee so I don't know how "healthy" he is going to be.

I assume everything is a trick and everyone is healthy. Even Jerod Mayo. They put him on the IR to **** with my head.

PatriotsGuy
01-21-2016, 02:42 PM
I assume everything is a trick and everyone is healthy. Even Jerod Mayo. They put him on the IR to **** with my head.

lol, that's what I think about Harris!

Northman
01-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Oh, of course. That should improve the running game immensely. Good call.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 02:49 PM

not being a smarty pants or challenging, but say what?

PatriotsGuy
01-21-2016, 02:53 PM
not being a smarty pants or challenging, but say what?

Stop being deliberately obtuse

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Stop being deliberately obtuse

I think you're the one that's making little sense

WARHORSE
01-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Yeah, but hes a liability against the pass......so hopefully if hes in there hes not 100%.. Im ok with 50%

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 03:38 PM
something tells me that Hightower is going to open a Floristry after his NFL career

WARHORSE
01-21-2016, 04:40 PM
something tells me that Hightower is going to open a Floristry after his NFL career

Yup. Hightowers Shy Flowers is the name he already picked out.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Yup. Hightowers Shy Flowers is the name he already picked out.

Not as good as Dapper & Gapper's Flappers and Floozies.

NightTerror218
01-21-2016, 05:02 PM

See how he plays, broncos OL is improved and they are better at the cut blocks now too.

BroncoJoe
01-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Hightower's absence in the 2nd 1/2 of our last game had a dramatic effect on our rushing game. I hope he's no where near 100%.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Hightower's absence in the 2nd 1/2 of our last game had a dramatic effect on our rushing game. I hope he's no where near 100%.

explain this to me please. I don't understand this correlation at all. I assume you are talking about Denver's offensive run game when you reference "our rushing game" correct me if I'm wrong on that

BroncoJoe
01-21-2016, 06:27 PM
explain this to me please. I don't understand this correlation at all. I assume you are talking about Denver's offensive run game when you reference "our rushing game" correct me if I'm wrong on that

I can't look up the stats, but I heard on the radio that once Hightower left the game, our YPC in the rushing game went from 2.6 to over 7.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 06:33 PM
I can't look up the stats, but I heard on the radio that once Hightower left the game, our YPC in the rushing game went from 2.6 to over 7.
Unless I'm missing something key, I don't see how the opposition's offensive performance has anything to do with our offensive performance. is it a time of possession thing?

BroncoJoe
01-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Unless I'm missing something key, I don't see how the opposition's offensive performance has anything to do with our offensive performance. is it a time of possession thing?

WTF are you talking about? Hightower is a LB for the Patriots.

TXBRONC
01-21-2016, 06:37 PM
I don't want to see us just air it out, but I do believe there's a time for us to do so in the game. I agree with you, I don't think Kubiak is as creative as he could be, and if he got a little more creative I think this offense, his offense, could be much better.

I agree airing it out is not the way to go. Manning hasn't shown that he can hit anything longer than 20 yards with much consistency.

NightTerror218
01-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Due to a few big runs. i do not think Hightower would have made a difference. CJ and Hillman had perfectly executed blocks and only had to beat the safeties for huge runs. He made a difference up the middle but not the runs to the outside or between guard and tackle.

underrated29
01-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Thats true, but (prepare to duck) its also when CJ started getting majority of his carries :sofa:

NightTerror218
01-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Thats true, but (prepare to duck) its also when CJ started getting majority of his carries :sofa:

Hillman had a huge run down left sideline and the 3 long TD runs. All were to the outside and not up middle. 2 TDS on those shovel passes. Hightower is not incredibly fast but a run stuffer in middle, a thumper and always around the ball. Between those 4 runs was over 100 yards.

BroncoNut
01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
WTF are you talking about? Hightower is a LB for the Patriots.

Ok I was thinking rb. Makes sense now. That's the key bit of info I was off on my bad

TXBRONC
01-21-2016, 10:02 PM
I don't know why they drop balls and it's not causation, per se, but Thomas, Sanders and Hillman dropped balls on third and long after failed early down rushes and I believe Anderson's was second and long. When you're pressing to make a play you could make a mistake. I don't think that's an outlandish idea at all.

So Denver shouldn't run the ball because Sanders and Thomas have dropped several passes?

MOtorboat
01-21-2016, 10:36 PM
So Denver shouldn't run the ball because Sanders and Thomas have dropped several passes?

No.

tomjonesrocks
01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Denver needs to kill clock. That can be done running the ball, or completed passes inbounds.

Dapper Dan
01-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Bubble screen.

Joel
01-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Denver needs to kill clock. That can be done running the ball, or completed passes inbounds.
Yeah, but the first is MUCH easier: I've never heard of an "incomplete run," but even the best West Coast offenses miss 1 out of 3 of even those short high-percentage passes. And if Butler or some other DB jumps one: 6 points; NOTHING in front of him, it's a speed position, and all our speed guys are behind him, running the wrong way. I thought we learned that lesson with that pick-six and the other 1st half Int in the SB.

Using passes to do the runs job is like carpet bombing a sniper: It'll WORK, but it's wasteful and predictable. Sooner or later they'll set up a flak trap, and then you lose a whole bomber group just because of a sniper. Just drive a tank over him and move on to your next objective.