PDA

View Full Version : Peyton's Take: 'That was a dog fight'

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2016, 12:10 PM
DENVER – The Broncos punched their ticket to the AFC Championships Sunday afternoon in what felt like typical 2015 Broncos fashion.

They trailed the Steelers at the half and even in the fourth quarter. But in the end, like many games before, the Broncos found a way to win.

Denver’s woes started early in the first half as quarterback Peyton Manning and the offense struggled to put anything more than field goals up on the scoreboard.

Dropped passes plagued the Broncos receivers. Gusty conditions didn’t help and playoff nerves may have been a factor, too. But Manning was intent on trying. Wide receiver Bennie Fowler turned in one of the biggest plays on offense with a 31-yard catch on third-and-12 in the fourth quarter that led to Denver’s only touchdown of the day — after dropping his two previous targets.

“I think one thing I’ve always believed in is, when you have missed throws or you have some dropped passes, you just keep firing them,” Manning said. “Bennie, there was no doubt that I was going to keep throwing to him if the read took me there. I tell you what, I don’t know if you guys could tell, it was quite windy down there … But Bennie’s catch there versus tight coverage late fourth quarter was probably the biggest play of the offensive game.”

rest, plus videos - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Peytons-Take-That-was-a-dog-fight/0e224880-1995-4e02-be39-a652df3ef39a

underrated29
01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Love me some Bennie Fowler

tripp
01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Bennie Fowler is a play maker. Always seems to come up with a huge play. Did it for us against the Patriots earlier in the year, and has done it a few other times when we've needed him. I hope he has a future here in Denver

Joel
01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Not to dispute Manning, who's probably right about the biggest play, but CJs 34 yd run (our longest) on 2nd and 9 at our 6 just before the half was pretty big, too: That quickly got us to midfield as time ran away, so we at least got a FG to pull within a point of a game. It renewed hope that had been steadily fading since Pitts TD.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
It was really encouraging to see #14 involved in such an important game.

Bronco4ever
01-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Not to dispute Manning, who's probably right about the biggest play, but CJs 34 yd run (our longest) on 2nd and 9 at our 6 just before the half was pretty big, too: That quickly got us to midfield as time ran away, so we at least got a FG to pull within a point of a game. It renewed hope that had been steadily fading since Pitts TD.

I really hope CJ gets the majority of the carries against NE. It's pretty obvious by now that CJ has better vision and can make the harder runs. Hillman is a nice change of pace back, but I'm growing a little tired of him bouncing his runs outside nearly every play. CJ has to be the work horse moving forward.

tripp
01-18-2016, 01:42 PM
I really hope CJ gets the majority of the carries against NE. It's pretty obvious by now that CJ has better vision and can make the harder runs. Hillman is a nice change of pace back, but I'm growing a little tired of him bouncing his runs outside nearly every play. CJ has to be the work horse moving forward.

While it's obvious to us that CJ is the better back, but to Kubiak and company, it seems not so obvious.

I like Hillman, and I agree he's a great change of pace back, but it's so obvious CJ can hit the holes harder and is obviously harder to take down. I'm completely over them trying to run Hillman up the gut.

Slick
01-18-2016, 02:46 PM
The wind didn't seem to bother Pittsburgh all that much.

Guys need to catch the damn ball. As much as I don't like Manning, I thought he threw the ball pretty well in that wind yesterday.

Northman
01-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Guys need to catch the damn ball. As much as I don't like Manning, I thought he threw the ball pretty well in that wind yesterday.

While he doesnt have much zip on his passes Manning wasnt the problem yesterday. He actually played quite well considering.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2016, 03:04 PM

I was really encouraged by Manning's performance. He hasn't looked that good since the first half of 14'.

He moved well and his ball finished well.

Nomad
01-18-2016, 03:05 PM
As of now, weather shouldn't be a factor in next Sunday's game unless the sun blinds the receiver.:lol:

NightTerror218
01-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Most seemed to be to soft spots in the zone and run for big yards.

Joel
01-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Fair point, though there were a few balls that got away from Ben (good thing, the way we were giving them wide open WRs, then refusing to tackle them.) It could've been many things though; I think Mason was the one who kept sending out in-game tweets about the Broncos not being too casual, but too tense. Manning's only been back practicing with the WRs for, what, 3 weeks, after nearly 2 months of nonstop Oz? The whole TEAM had a week off during the bye, while Pitt just kept playing hard, so maybe we had some rust to knock loose. In DTs particular case, I still think he's played hurt most of the last 2 years, plus his mom was in the stadium to see him play for the first time in his LIFE.

Guess we'll find out next week if it was just an off game or a deeper problem. I suspect the former; our WR corps has never been exactly sure-handed, but Sanders usually is, and even HE was dropping balls yesterday. Something about that SPECIFIC game was off, so hopefully next week's different.

broncofaninfla
01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Yeah I don't buy the wind excuse at all. It didn't affect Pittsburgh and honestly have had issues all season long dropping catchable balls. To no fault of his own, dropped balls cost Brock the starting job.

TXBRONC
01-18-2016, 04:46 PM
While it's obvious to us that CJ is the better back, but to Kubiak and company, it seems not so obvious.

I like Hillman, and I agree he's a great change of pace back, but it's so obvious CJ can hit the holes harder and is obviously harder to take down. I'm completely over them trying to run Hillman up the gut.

I don't know what is obvious to them or not Tripp. It doesn't matter which one starts. The guy with hot hand is going to eat very well.

Northman
01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah I don't buy the wind excuse at all. It didn't affect Pittsburgh and honestly have had issues all season long dropping catchable balls. To no fault of his own, dropped balls cost Brock the starting job.

Yea, the drops arent really new, they were just more frequent yesterday.

weazel
01-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Old Yeller

TXBRONC
01-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Old Yeller

Old Yeller had to be put down because of rabies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjTJB-_Yd50

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2016, 08:12 PM

The problem is all of our receivers are trying to run with the ball before they have it secured. It's 101, "look the ball in." The only excusable drop was Sander's because he got crushed.

Dapper Dan
01-19-2016, 01:47 AM
Teams with the worst (highest) drop percentage in the regular season 2015

1 Philadelphia Eagles
2 Oakland Raiders
3 Atlanta Falcons
4 Jacksonville Jaguars
5 New York Giants
6 New England Patriots
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8 Carolina Panthers
9 New York Jets
10 Tennessee Titans
11 Houston Texans
12 San Francisco 49ers
13 Denver Broncos
14 Chicago Bears
15 Green Bay Packers
16 Arizona Cardinals
17 Cleveland Browns
18 St. Louis Rams
19 Dallas Cowboys
20 Cincinnati Bengals
21 Miami Dolphins
22 Minnesota Vikings
23 Buffalo Bills
24 Kansas City Chiefs
25 Indianapolis Colts
26 Washington Redskins
27 Pittsburgh Steelers
28 Detroit Lions
29 San Diego Chargers
30 New Orleans Saints
31 Seattle Seahawks
32 Baltimore Ravens

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2015/

Dapper Dan
01-19-2016, 01:49 AM
We definitely struggled running (and passing) the ball. The Steelers have a good run defense. If it were not for 1 run, CJ and Hillman would have similar stats. I still like both. It seems like one of them always breaks one out for 20 plus yards and it makes all the difference.

NightTerror218
01-19-2016, 01:54 PM
We definitely struggled running (and passing) the ball. The Steelers have a good run defense. If it were not for 1 run, CJ and Hillman would have similar stats. I still like both. It seems like one of them always breaks one out for 20 plus yards and it makes all the difference.

And 1 big run was called back too.

Cugel
01-19-2016, 03:28 PM

There's a reason why they keep using Ronnie Hillman, he's more elusive. He can make guys miss in the backfield and create his own yards. CJ isn't elusive. If there's a hole there he can pop through he's effective, but he's not going to make anybody miss in the backfield.

And all too often this year the Broncos OL has gotten pushed back and the RB is getting hit 2 yards behind the LOS. Hillman has been able to dodge guys and make something positive out of many of those plays. So, he gets more playing time.

Joel
01-19-2016, 06:27 PM
There's a reason why they keep using Ronnie Hillman, he's more elusive. He can make guys miss in the backfield and create his own yards. CJ isn't elusive. If there's a hole there he can pop through he's effective, but he's not going to make anybody miss in the backfield.
CJs jump-cuts—in SNOW—on a PAIR of long TDs vs. NE* say otherwise. This is another false dichotomy like "if Schofield sucks at pass blocking, that PROVES he's a GREAT run blocker." Just because CJ is bigger, stronger and better at breaking tackles than Hillman doesn't say anything about whether Hillman's shiftier, more agile or more elusive: It just proves CJ's bigger, stronger and better at breaking tackles.

And all too often this year the Broncos OL has gotten pushed back and the RB is getting hit 2 yards behind the LOS. Hillman has been able to dodge guys and make something positive out of many of those plays. So, he gets more playing time.
Yeah, it ain't just this year, and Hillman (like all the rest) has consistently gone down in a heap beneath those piles his WHOLE CAREER. Making the first guy miss is a great thing, but even Barry Sanders didn't make the first HALF DOZEN guys miss very often. As long as we're consistently letting the D pile on our RBs in the backfield, we need a guy who can MOVE that pile, not get crushed by it.

Sadly, as long as that happens our RBs will ALL get hurt a LOT, even by RB standards, hence CJ became the latest in a seemingly endless litany of Broncos FORMER "starting" Broncos backs. Seriously, I can't even remember them all at this point: There've been too many in just the last 4-5 years. Make Hillman the "permanent" starter and we'll soon be hearing about HIS "glass vag" and "hesitant dancing" just like all the rest.

Meanwhile, the ONE time in ALL that time we LED THE NFL in rushing was with McGahee as a power back ALSO leading the NFL in yards AFTER CONTACT (while people complained Moreno was scared, never ran N/S and, of course, had a "glass vag" that inexplicably vanished when he realized he had to do it all ALONE and became a top power runner in 2013.) If it ain't CJ, it's Juwann, or maybe Bibbs, but NOT the scatback.

Maybe (probably) that'll change when Kubiak and Dennison rebuild the kind of line that made Arian Foster and Olandis Gary stars, but we need power NOW—and CJ's PLENTY quick, fast and elusive, at least as much as Hillman: He's bigger, stronger and breaks tackles better TOO, not "instead." Just gotta stay healthy....

BroncoJoe
01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Hey Joel:

I use the Work Friendly mode to view the forum. The white font doesn't show up.

Can you use the white font color on your entire posts from now on?

tia.

dogfish
01-20-2016, 02:00 AM

oh, i think most people would agree w/ this. . . i don't think CJ can handle all the carries, though-- seems like he's really only good when he's fresh, and he gets dinged up pretty easily. . . gary has shown in the past that he prefers to pick one back and roll with him-- i would say that he's managing anderson's work load as much as looking for a change of pace from hillman. . . next year, GK should get to draft his own choice of back. . . should be fun. . .

Hawgdriver
01-20-2016, 01:16 PM
oh, i think most people would agree w/ this. . . i don't think CJ can handle all the carries, though-- seems like he's really only good when he's fresh, and he gets dinged up pretty easily. . . gary has shown in the past that he prefers to pick one back and roll with him-- i would say that he's managing anderson's work load as much as looking for a change of pace from hillman. . . next year, GK should get to draft his own choice of back. . . should be fun. . .

I'm not most people.

Joel
01-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Hey Joel:

I use the Work Friendly mode to view the forum. The white font doesn't show up.

Can you use the white font color on your entire posts from now on?

tia.
Post fonts always show white for me; sounds like the problem's on your end. But there's a workaround: Try the scroll wheel, which should fix whatever's the problem.

If that's not an option, and you like white, Broncos Countrys background's so white I avoid it to avoid eye strain: If you use that it'll definitely solve the problem.

NightTerror218
01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

I think he might still have some lingering issues and carries are limited. He is the better runner but had a very rough start to season and lost starter role.

He seems to get more carries at end of games. I also see him pull himself out after rough runs too.

BroncoJoe
01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Post fonts always show white for me; sounds like the problem's on your end. But there's a workaround: Try the scroll wheel, which should fix whatever's the problem.

If that's not an option, and you like white, Broncos Countrys background's so white I avoid it to avoid eye strain: If you use that it'll definitely solve the problem.

I got nothing. Good comeback. You have to admit though, your long winded posts that tend to take your train of thought off to worlds unknown to mankind, lend themselves to critique. I'm just playing along.

Northman
01-20-2016, 05:34 PM
The only excusable drop was Sander's because he got crushed.

Technically he should of had his too. He got his hands on it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2016, 08:40 PM

What if he got shot in the head?

dogfish
01-20-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm not most people.

yea, that was established quite some time ago, you handsome basterd. . .

:D

BroncoWave
01-20-2016, 10:00 PM

For the love of Christ, North, it's "should have" not "should of". Do you do this shit just to troll everyone? :lol:

To answer your post, I'm not going to fault him much for that "drop". That's a catch he makes 9 times out of 10. The safety gets paid to make hits like that to knock out the ball. That was just a great play by that guy. No WR in NFL history is going to catch every single ball thrown his way after getting hit like that.

dogfish
01-20-2016, 10:51 PM
north, you ass! see what you did? you made me have to salute wave's post. . . good grief, homie-- should HAVE, please! should have. . . or type the proper contraction, which is should've. . . i seriously hate being the grammar nazi, but that one is just skin-crawling, nails on the chalkboard bad. . . get it together, man! :doh: :lol:

Dapper Dan
01-20-2016, 11:35 PM
north, you ass! see what you did? you made me have to salute wave's post. . . good grief, homie-- should HAVE, please! should have. . . or type the proper contraction, which is should've. . . i seriously hate being the grammar nazi, but that one is just skin-crawling, nails on the chalkboard bad. . . get it together, man! :doh: :lol:

Peyton said it was a dog fight. You are dogfish. I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

Joel
01-21-2016, 01:29 AM
I got nothing. Good comeback. You have to admit though, your long winded posts that tend to take your train of thought off to worlds unknown to mankind, lend themselves to critique. I'm just playing along.
Oh, but Snoopy always ties it all together SOMEHOW by the end. ;) God and the devil are in the details, so I go off on tangents, but not total non sequiturs: There's always a point of connection, and I don't raise one unless I think it relevant. It may be overvalued, but doesn't come out of left field (really.) Saying, "Denver won," is a very short accurate game summary, but also omits lots of important REASONS we won (but nearly lost) last week (not to mention the games importance.)

Joel
01-21-2016, 02:28 AM
Peyton said it was a dog fight. You are dogfish. I'm not sure where I'm going with this.
It means Michael Vick wishes he'd been healthy enough to go, and brought some dynamite and an old hand crank phone. ;)

Canmore
01-21-2016, 02:42 AM
It means Michael Vick wishes he'd been healthy enough to go, and brought some dynamite and an old hand crank phone. ;)

You lost me on this one?

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 02:44 AM
You lost me on this one?

Canmore
01-21-2016, 02:45 AM

Lol and I'm still lost.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2016, 02:50 AM
Lol and I'm still lost.

All that is not saved will be lost. - Nintendo

Joel
01-21-2016, 02:58 AM
You lost me on this one?
"Dog fight"+playing an injured Rapistbugger=Rapistbugger backup Michael Vick; "dog fight"+dogfish=illegally fishing with dynamite/hand crank phones. Just tangents; now, adding something about herpes just because I FIRST added Vick, THAT would be a non sequitur. See how it works? :tongue:

All that is not saved will be lost. - Nintendo
No worries, you can still restore: Jesus saved at the last Station of the Cross (the final one, actually. ;))

Canmore
01-21-2016, 06:25 AM
"Dog fight"+playing an injured Rapistbugger=Rapistbugger backup Michael Vick; "dog fight"+dogfish=illegally fishing with dynamite/hand crank phones. Just tangents; now, adding something about herpes just because I FIRST added Vick, THAT would be a non sequitur. See how it works? :tongue:

No worries, you can still restore: Jesus saved at the last Station of the Cross (the final one, actually. ;))

OK.

LawDog
01-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Oh, but Snoopy always ties it all together SOMEHOW by the end. ;) God and the devil are in the details, so I go off on tangents, but not total non sequiturs: There's always a point of connection, and I don't raise one unless I think it relevant. It may be overvalued, but doesn't come out of left field (really.) Saying, "Denver won," is a very short accurate game summary, but also omits lots of important REASONS we won (but nearly lost) last week (not to mention the games importance.)

Quintessential Joel, his explanation of how he posts is even more confusing that his actual posts.

Keep it up Joel, you're in their heads for sure.

Joel
01-22-2016, 03:12 AM
Quintessential Joel, his explanation of how he posts is even more confusing that his actual posts.

Keep it up Joel, you're in their heads for sure.
What's unclear? Non sequiturs, by definition, are wholly unrelated to the original topic, so I avoid them (unless making a joke.) But tangents, by definition, have a lone CONNECTING point, which I only raise if I think that connection HIGHLY RELEVANT to the original topic. Because (even short) unsupported claims are just that.

There, as short as I can make it; still left out some specific cases of the general idea, but it's complete, just not thorough.