PDA

View Full Version : BlabDino: Bryant catch not a TD, Shazier hit legal...

Northman
01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Blabdino really annoys me. I just cant stand this guy.

He goes on record saying the Bryant catch should not have been a TD but then says the call on the field should stand because there wasnt enough to overturn it. To me, it was clearly a catch as Bryant never lost control of the pass, it wasnt bobbled, etc.

And the Shazier hit was clearly illegal, he lead with his helmet and Benard was just turning around when he got hit so i dont know how much more defenseless you can be.

I dont care if the NFL officiating thinks it has done a great job this year, i just dont see it.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/15/10777390/nfl-says-martavis-bryant-touchdown-should-not-have-counted-ryan

NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino says in his mind the Bryant catch should not have been a catch but also said because it was initially ruled a catch, there wasn't enough to overturn it via instant replay.

That looks like obvious targeting of Bernard's helmet by Shazier, but Blandino doesn't see it that way.

"There’s three elements to that rule," Blandino said. "You have to line up your opponent, you have to lower your head, and you have to make forcible contact with the very top of the helmet. The key issue here is the line up, and when we’re talking about angles, and the players are moving at different angles, where you have Bernard is moving in this direction, Shazier is moving in this direction, then we don’t have the line up. You’re really dealing with the players moving in the same direction towards each other when this rule would apply. The theory being, when players are moving at angles, they don’t have as much opportunity to avoid that contact. That’s where the rule does not apply."

Slick
01-16-2016, 10:14 AM
The more times I watched the replay of the Bryant TD the more I don't think he caught it. I mean he caught the ball, but he didn't really have full control of the football until he flipped over, unpinned the ball from the back of his hamstring and stood up. By that time he was way out of bounds.

Northman
01-16-2016, 10:30 AM
The more times I watched the replay of the Bryant TD the more I don't think he caught it. I mean he caught the ball, but he didn't really have full control of the football until he flipped over, unpinned the ball from the back of his hamstring and stood up. By that time he was way out of bounds.

I disagree only because the ball always seemed under control to me even when pinned between his legs. I never saw the ball bouncing around in his hands or on his stomach or some other part of his body. When you have momentum you cant just stop on the dime and the way i understand the rules as long as you have control and the ball isnt bouncing up in the air and everything else than i see that as being a catch.

Ravage!!!
01-16-2016, 10:33 AM
I disagree only because the ball always seemed under control to me even when pinned between his legs. I never saw the ball bouncing around in his hands or on his stomach or some other part of his body. When you have momentum you cant just stop on the dime and the way i understand the rules as long as you have control and the ball isnt bouncing up in the air and everything else than i see that as being a catch.

I'm with this. He caught it, and kept control of it. The flip just kept his hands on the ball and eliminated him having to remove a hand to fall. I absolutely feel it was a catch.

I think it's disgusting that the NFL rules on catches are SOOOO ridiculously stupid, that this great catch has any kind of doubt as to "being a catch." That boy made an incredible catch for a TD.

Slick
01-16-2016, 10:48 AM
I agree it was a fantastic catch and I even said he caught the ball in my original post. I guess i don't really know what the rules are on a play like that anymore.

I feel like when the ball drops down to the back of his leg, he bobbles it for a split second, then pins it against his leg and still manages to hold on to it. I mean, I know I'm splitting hairs here. It was an incredible play.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-16-2016, 10:53 AM
If the league office is going to say it's ok to lead with crown of the helmet and hit someone on the chin in any scenario, then they are a complete joke when it comes to brain trauma awareness.

OrangeHoof
01-16-2016, 10:57 AM
you have to make forcible contact with the very top of the helmet.

No, you don't. You don't even have to use the helmet anymore. Earlier this year, they were flagging guy who used their shoulders as long as the hit was above the players' shoulder line. Didn't have to hit with the head at all. The Shazier play was total bs and wasn't player safety the overriding goal? Tell me what happened to Bernard was "safe".

slim
01-16-2016, 03:30 PM

Agree. I don't think it was a catch either.

Poet
01-16-2016, 03:31 PM
The Bryant play was not a catch only because the governing rules on the subject matter suck ass.

The Shazier hit was obviously illegal and within the context of the game it was that much 'more' illegal due to the Wheaton call.

slim
01-16-2016, 03:34 PM
The Bryant play was not a catch only because the governing rules on the subject matter suck ass.

The Shazier hit was obviously illegal and within the context of the game it was that much 'more' illegal due to the Wheaton call.

I like your avy.

Poet
01-16-2016, 03:37 PM
I like your avy.

I'm trying to be supportive. Plus I always liked Atwater. He's dope.

slim
01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm trying to be supportive. Plus I always liked Atwater. He's dope.

He played a hell of a game in that super bowl.

Poet
01-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Favre drowned in the Atwater.

Joel
01-17-2016, 03:01 AM
Huh, missed this; didn't even know anyone was talking about Bryants incomplete. Because that's what it was: He was indisputably "going to the ground" (i.e. doing a backflip) and just as indisputably didn't secure the ball until literally heels over head in midair. That's no different than jumping up to catch a pass and securing it in midair but landing out of bounds. In fact, that's EXACTLY what Bryant did: He just did it in a really theatrical way.

I already wondered about that "catch" live, so replay just confirmed suspicion; Blandino's either blind and/or shilling (no prize for guessing which) to claim otherwise.

Joel
01-17-2016, 03:14 AM
I'm with this. He caught it, and kept control of it. The flip just kept his hands on the ball and eliminated him having to remove a hand to fall. I absolutely feel it was a catch.
Except the gif clearly shows he'd ALREADY removed a hand to break his fall, and only THEN flipped and placed it back on the ball: Because he felt the ball COME LOOSE, which it just as clearly did when he removed his hand. He didn't REGAIN control until he flipped over and put his second hand back on the ball, which is great.

Except he was already fully in the air by then, and didn't land in bounds. Ergo, incomplete pass. In the old days, it would've been enough to secure it completely in bounds at SOME (however brief) point, but I'm not even sure he ever even did that. But I am sure he didn't do it before he began "going to the ground," that while "going to the ground" he lost whatever brief control he may have had, and that he did not (re)gain control before landing out of bounds.

Ironically, "catches" like that are the reason why the old clear, simple and INFINITELY BETTER rules were changed to the current confusingly ambiguous ones. But the fact that "catch" is being debated ANYWAY proves the cost of that confusing ambiguity hasn't bought us any more certainty (imagine that....) So I do agree we should revert to the clearer, simpler and infinitely better rule. As does the OTHER Bryant WR. ;)

TXBRONC
01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Blabdino really annoys me. I just cant stand this guy.

He goes on record saying the Bryant catch should not have been a TD but then says the call on the field should stand because there wasnt enough to overturn it. To me, it was clearly a catch as Bryant never lost control of the pass, it wasnt bobbled, etc.

And the Shazier hit was clearly illegal, he lead with his helmet and Benard was just turning around when he got hit so i dont know how much more defenseless you can be.

I dont care if the NFL officiating thinks it has done a great job this year, i just dont see it.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/15/10777390/nfl-says-martavis-bryant-touchdown-should-not-have-counted-ryan

There are times Blandino is right but he absolutely and totally wrong about Shazier. You have be pitch black blind not see that Shaizer meets all three of the criteria. Players have been nailed for hits that are less conspicuous.

TXBRONC
01-17-2016, 09:19 AM

That hit on Farve was one of the hits I've ever seen. I can't remember seeing a hit so hard that the ball flies through for three or four yards.

OrangeHoof
01-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I'd prefer a simple rule: 1) If the ball hits the ground in any way, it's not a catch. 2) If it did not hit the ground, it is a catch as long as the player had the required two feet in bounds when first grasp of the ball was made and full control was exhibited at the end of the catch. That means the player could have been juggling or bobbling or repositioning the ball while falling and it is still a catch as long as his momentum stops with him in full control of the ball and the ball has not touched the ground.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Wasn't a catch, wasn't even that hard to get right.

If Shazier's hit was legal I don't know to say about the hit on Brown.