PDA

View Full Version : Owen Daniels interview with MMQB

VonDoom
01-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Saw this today. Daniels talks about having home field, our QB situation and coach Kubiak:

VRENTAS: Gary Kubiak has been pretty up front all along about the quarterbacks, saying that Manning would be the starter when he was healthy again, and sticking to that. How much has his guidance helped the team navigate this situation?

DANIELS: It could have been a very delicate situation. But he comes to us first and foremost every week and lets us know what the deal is, who is going to be in there and what the whole situation is so we aren’t in the dark. We’re not guessing; we’re not wondering as the week goes along what the plan is. For him to do that is awesome of him. I think him doing that allows us to focus on the game plan and what our individual jobs are, and that helps us deal with the distraction of all those questions you might get asked during the week: Who do you want in there? Who is looking good? Who does this offense function best for? All that stuff that gets asked, it’s pushed to the side just because we established who was the guy every week, so that helped out a ton.

VRENTAS: And you especially get asked that a lot because you have played in Kubiak’s offense for 10 seasons—in Houston, Baltimore and now Denver. Is this the same Kubiak offense that you have played in at every stop, or did it change with Peyton vs. Brock?

DANIELS: The Kubiak offense I have known for the previous nine years, it seemed like it was a little bit more along those lines with Brock in there, and maybe that’s just because he is a little more mobile so we could run more keepers and stuff with him. When Peyton was dealing with his foot injury, we couldn’t really get him out to do stuff like that. That movement is a big part of our offense, it always has been—or part of Kub’s offense, I should say. But we did implement some of what Peyton had done in the past, what we had done earlier this year with Peyton in there, in terms of the up-tempo stuff. I think that is a great thing to have, to be able to use. We used that to get back into a couple games, the Cincinnati game being one of them, we kind of went back to the up-tempo style. It was good to be able to do both, especially when you are playing up here in the elevation. It is Kub’s offense, but we like to mix some things in there. The more stuff you can do, the more stuff the defense has to prepare for and the more thinly spread they are.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/15/nfl-owen-daniels-denver-broncos-peyton-manning-brock-osweiler-gary-kubiak