PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: There are traitors in Broncos Country, selling tickets to Steelers fans

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2016, 05:27 PM
For a lousy $500, there are Broncos fans who would sell their soul, not to mention their allegiance to quarterback Peyton Manning and the local NFL team.

Shame on them.

The home-field advantage in the NFL playoffs that Denver has worked all season to secure is being undermined by traitors who live next door to you in Broncos Country.

With Pittsburgh attempting an unfriendly takeover of Sports Authority Field at Mile High, at least 10 percent of the tickets in the 76,125-seat stadium are for sale on the secondary market, there for the taking by Terrible Towel wavers who cheer for the Steelers.

"What's the point of having season tickets if you sell them, especially to Squealer fans?" Denver realtor Bob Osterheldt said.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29377580/kiszla-there-are-traitors-broncos-country-selling-tickets

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
from same article:

The day that changed Broncomania forever was Jan. 22, 2006. With the AFC championship on the line, it was a glorious winter afternoon, except for one sorry sight. The stadium was awash in a sea of yellow, with towels being waved by Rust Belt escapees who were cheering for the Steelers.

"It was brutal. I'll never forget walking out in the stadium with Champ (Bailey) as we were going out for DB drills early, before the game. We both looked at each other and said, 'What is this?' " former Denver safety John Lynch told me in 2014. "The problem with the Pittsburgh fans was the Terrible Towels are so visible, so it felt like there were more Steelers fans than Broncos fans. You shouldn't let that affect you. But I think it affected us."

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29377580/kiszla-there-are-traitors-broncos-country-selling-tickets

BroncoWave
01-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Eh, this is just something I've never been able to muster a give-a-damn about. It's not like it's anything unique to Denver fans. You see plenty of tickets available on the secondary market for every game every week in the NFL. It's just how it is. If teams hate it so much they should figure out a way to make tickets non-transferable. Otherwise, it's just something that's going to happen.

If I were John Lynch, I would have kept that little tidbit to myself. That is pathetic if a professional athlete lets it affect his play because there are a bunch of away fans in your stadium. Especially if it's the Steelers. It should just be expected that they will travel well.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Eh, this is just something I've never been able to muster a give-a-damn about. It's not like it's anything unique to Denver fans. You see plenty of tickets available on the secondary market for every game every week in the NFL. It's just how it is. If teams hate it so much they should figure out a way to make tickets non-transferable. Otherwise, it's just something that's going to happen.

If I were John Lynch, I would have kept that little tidbit to myself. That is pathetic if a professional athlete lets it affect his play because there are a bunch of away fans in your stadium. Especially if it's the Steelers. It should just be expected that they will travel well.

There is a difference between saying that "it affected" and "it effected our play." Having and affenct on someone's perception doesn't mean he felt he played poorly because of that. He just means he feels it "left a feeling" with him/them. Don't take everything so literally.

BroncoWave
01-13-2016, 06:04 PM
There is a difference between saying that "it affected" and "it effected our play." Having and affenct on someone's perception doesn't mean he felt he played poorly because of that. He just means he feels it "left a feeling" with him/them. Don't take everything so literally.

What would be the point in saying "it affected us" if that affect had zero to do with their play? Was he just saying it made them sad? If so I stand by what I said. What exactly were our guys expecting when the Steelers came to town?

karnage
01-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Denver will be fine.. If an undefeated GB team on Sunday night didn't hurt neither will this. There will be a more than majority Broncos contingent there. Denver has been road warrior team anyways. Defense travels and offense needs the silence..

Ravage!!!
01-13-2016, 06:25 PM
What would be the point in saying "it affected us" if that affect had zero to do with their play? Was he just saying it made them sad? If so I stand by what I said. What exactly were our guys expecting when the Steelers came to town?

You stick with that point, kiddo.

BroncoWave
01-13-2016, 06:26 PM
You stick with that point, kiddo.

I think you are trying a bit too hard to be contrarian to my viewpoint here, Rav.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2016, 06:30 PM
I think you are trying a bit too hard to be contrarian to my viewpoint here, Rav.

Not at all. I think he was simply stating that it was a shock to see so many Steeler fans and that it had an "impact" on their perception. You are the one that is turning into a "I can't believe he said that" comment. You are trying to turn a simple comment into something MUCH bigger than it is, and I find it pretty ridiculous. As a result, I'm treating it as such.

Northman
01-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Believe it or not the Ravens stadium fills up with a lot of Steeler fans as well. Even when Denver plays in Baltimore there is a good majority of them there in the stadium. Its unfortunate when fans sell tickets to rivals but it does happen in every NFL stadium to some degree.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2016, 06:44 PM
There will be, and always has been a large contingency of Steeler fans in every NFL stadium. Anyone remember the San Diego game where it seemed like 1/2 the stadium were Broncos fans? Don't think we were complaining about that too much. I mean think about it. Who would want to live in Pittsburgh? Of course they scatter around the country.

It's a non-issue for me. The Broncos won't win or lose because there might be 3,000 Steelers fans in the stadium waving their pee-stained yellow towels.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-13-2016, 07:19 PM
There will be, and always has been a large contingency of Steeler fans in every NFL stadium. Anyone remember the San Diego game where it seemed like 1/2 the stadium were Broncos fans? Don't think we were complaining about that too much. I mean think about it. Who would want to live in Pittsburgh? Of course they scatter around the country.

It's a non-issue for me. The Broncos won't win or lose because there might be 3,000 Steelers fans in the stadium waving their pee-stained yellow towels.

This is a good point. There have been over a million people leave Pittsburgh since the steel industry collapsed.

Dapper Dan
01-13-2016, 08:49 PM
I doubt they really are Broncos fans. They're just out to rip people off and make money. Like most people who get sports tickets.

Dapper Dan
01-13-2016, 08:52 PM

Why would we complain about our fans showing up on the road? Do you really think most Steelers fans lived in Pittsburgh and we're scattered about like ancient Jewish tribes? I doubt many have even visited the state of Pennsylvania.

I Eat Staples
01-13-2016, 09:55 PM
I mean think about it. Who would want to live in Pittsburgh? Of course they scatter around the country.

:lol:

Simple Jaded
01-13-2016, 09:56 PM
6 on a scale of 1-10.

BroncoWave
01-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Not at all. I think he was simply stating that it was a shock to see so many Steeler fans and that it had an "impact" on their perception. You are the one that is turning into a "I can't believe he said that" comment. You are trying to turn a simple comment into something MUCH bigger than it is, and I find it pretty ridiculous. As a result, I'm treating it as such.

Luckily for me everything you say is wrong, so I feel much better about my viewpoint now. :)

Joel
01-13-2016, 10:37 PM
It's a sad and enviable fact the Steelers travel well; given the consistently dirty way they've played ball for DECADES, it implies something very disturbing about American culture. But even Patton (or at least George C. Scott playing Patton) said, "Americans love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser," so Pitts record number of SB wins (however obtained) carries more weight than it should.

The bottom line is every team could have this problem at EVERY home game: Pitt just stands out because (whatever the reason) they have a ton of fans willing to pay through the nose and travel hundreds or thousands of miles to see their team live in a nominally hostile stadium. People being people, the best, and probably only solution to that problem is to beat the crap out of them so often for so long most of their bandwagon jumps ship, preferably for ours.

I don't relish the possibility of the rapists good line hearing signal calls better than Mannings awful one EVEN AT MILE HIGH, but we'll all just have to live with reality.

Joel
01-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Hopefully word got around Pitt about this (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/13/why-peyton-manning-didnt-sign-steelers-fans-terrible-towels/37185/), so out of town fans leave their laundry out of town.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2016, 12:29 AM
The Steelers travel well for the same reason Packer, Cowboys, and of late Patriot fans, seem to. It's called a "bandwagon". Honestly, I'd never even met a Pats' fan until they won their first Super Bowl. Now they're everywhere like roaches. Pittsburgh built a huge bandwagon in the 70s and it has perpetuated since. Winning consistently and having a "dynasty" brings legions of fans who want to fit in and feel pride of being associated with winners. The reason Pittsburgh fans stand out so much at games is the stupid towels. Every Steelers fan owns one and they catch the eye when you spin them.

DenBronx
01-14-2016, 12:46 AM
Damn idiots!

Valar Morghulis
01-14-2016, 02:06 AM

Tell that to John lynch, those towels either made him sad or play bad depending on whether or not you side with rav or wave

Dapper Dan
01-14-2016, 02:26 AM

These guys aren't robots.

BroncoWave
01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
These guys aren't robots.

So only a robot could play well under the back-breakingly stressful conditions of having a few thousand opposing fans in your stadium? Man, those NFL players really have it tough.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2016, 08:24 AM
So only a robot could play well under the back-breakingly stressful conditions of having a few thousand opposing fans in your stadium? Man, those NFL players really have it tough.

You expect them not to think.

BroncoWave
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM
You expect them not to think.

I don't expect them not to notice it, but I sure expect them not to be effected by it. Like, you know coming in the Steelers are going to have a bunch of fans there. Lynch's quote makes it sound like that fact surprised them.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2016, 08:36 AM
I don't expect them not to notice it, but I sure expect them not to be effected by it. Like, you know coming in the Steelers are going to have a bunch of fans there. Lynch's quote makes it sound like that fact surprised them.

Maybe it did. Maybe he's not as smart as you are.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Hopefully word got around Pitt about this (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/13/why-peyton-manning-didnt-sign-steelers-fans-terrible-towels/37185/), so out of town fans leave their laundry out of town.

I'm a little disappointed he didn't step on it and grind it into the grass a bit.

Davii
01-14-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm a little disappointed he didn't step on it and grind it into the grass a bit.

He could've just pissed on it then told them instead of an autograph they could have some DNA.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2016, 10:16 AM
He could've just pissed on it then told them instead of an autograph they could have some DNA.

They don't get the see the Peyton Man-thing.

The Glue Factory
01-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Come on Al. You know Peyton's classier than that.

weazel
01-14-2016, 01:02 PM
unfortunately when you have some of the most expensive tickets in the league, you won't necessarily have the biggest fans buying the tickets. In turn, you get people selling tickets to visiting fans.