PDA

View Full Version : Guess who is workig with the 1's on the oline...

Krugan
01-12-2016, 09:51 AM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1/11/10750936/michael-schofield-gets-reps-with-the-broncos-starters

Yep, interesting i think, and abit troubling.

Dapper Dan
01-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Not really. Kubiak already stated he wanted both to be ready.

Mike
01-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Dennison said that Schofield was going to be the starter. I read it somewhere yesterday. I will see if I can find it.

Here it is....

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-pittsburgh-steelers-michael-schofield-tackle-011016

Head coach Gary Kubiak pulled Schofield in Week 17 when he surrendered too many pressures to San Diego's Melvin Ingram. Yet his replacement, Tyler Polumbus, won't start on Sunday in their biggest game yet.

Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, via ESPN: "In the run game he did a good job. There were a couple (pass protections) and he was in fine shape. His hands were in a good spot. Then he drifts and something happens. "

It'll be up to Schofield to make sure nothing happens against the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers. Manning's playoff fate -- and postseason legacy -- could depend on it.

Northman
01-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Why are they leaving Sho out there? Polumbus clearly did a better job when coming in. I dont get it.....

SR
01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
If Schofield starts I will really question where the coaching staff's heads are.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2016, 11:15 AM
I think it has to do with the fact that Scho must be picking up the defensive alignments better,and that he's doing a better job in adjusting to the QB calls and audibles. You can't simply put a guy on the field that isn't getting the calls, and isn't identifying what the QB is saying, or...changing whenthe QB makes the audible.

I don't know....I'm just listing out a few things that probably/might show up during practices that the coaches see and know, that we don't see and know. There is OBVIOUSLY something that is showing in practice that is BIG enough to change the two,that supercedes what we think 'we' see when watching the game.

GEM
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I've heard some radio guys saying he is a great practice guy....practice isn't live games. In live games, he sucks donkey balls.

Davii
01-12-2016, 11:22 AM
I've heard some radio guys saying he is a great practice guy....practice isn't live games. In live games, he sucks donkey balls.

So he's Tebow's polar opposite? I bet he can throw pretty accurately then. :lol:

BigDaddyBronco
01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

My head just exploded...

Mike
01-12-2016, 11:39 AM
They think he is good at run blocking. So the game plan must be heavily run oriented with the expectation that Manning get rid of the ball quickly on pass plays. We'll see how it works out I guess. I think it's a mistake. I think Pitt will come in looking to shut down the run and force Manning to throw. Manning will need better protection or the defense will sit on the short routes and play physical with the receivers at the line. I am looking at a lot of 3 and outs and a defensive battle here.

SR
01-12-2016, 11:51 AM

We've heard this before.

EastCoastBronco
01-12-2016, 11:59 AM
I have the utmost confidence in Kubiak's coaching strategy...EFSSL.

Joel
01-12-2016, 01:27 PM
They think he is good at run blocking. So the game plan must be heavily run oriented with the expectation that Manning get rid of the ball quickly on pass plays. We'll see how it works out I guess. I think it's a mistake. I think Pitt will come in looking to shut down the run and force Manning to throw. Manning will need better protection or the defense will sit on the short routes and play physical with the receivers at the line. I am looking at a lot of 3 and outs and a defensive battle here.
In other words, the Hell Manning's been living in pretty much since he stepped off the plane at DIA. This makes NO sense to me, because we've spent FOUR FULL SEASONS watching how it goes (i.e. BADLY, and injuriously for Manning.) Sure, we've all seen Schofield throw some nice run blocks—we've also all seen defenders blow right by him inside and outside, or simply OVER him, countless times in EVERY ONE of our last 16 games.

Schofield's slow AND weak, which would make him a huge liability if we had big, fast, elusive cannon like Newton or Elway in his prime: But we DON'T; we have a guy who was a statue and needed to step into every deep throw even when healthy in HIS prime, but is now pushing 40 hard after 4 spinal surgeries that fused two of his vertebrae. It's not like we didn't pass AND RUN better with Polumbus in last week.

Unless we're just Belicheating Pitt the same way they're trying to turn Brown into Schrödingers Receiver, I don't understand this at all. Hopefully it's just a case of things looking very differently at ground level than they do on TV; OTOH, there's a reason many OCs like to make calls from the booth.

Cugel
01-14-2016, 02:35 PM
In other words, the Hell Manning's been living in pretty much since he stepped off the plane at DIA. This makes NO sense to me, because we've spent FOUR FULL SEASONS watching how it goes (i.e. BADLY, and injuriously for Manning.) Sure, we've all seen Schofield throw some nice run blocks—we've also all seen defenders blow right by him inside and outside, or simply OVER him, countless times in EVERY ONE of our last 16 games.

Schofield's slow AND weak, which would make him a huge liability if we had big, fast, elusive cannon like Newton or Elway in his prime: But we DON'T; we have a guy who was a statue and needed to step into every deep throw even when healthy in HIS prime, but is now pushing 40 hard after 4 spinal surgeries that fused two of his vertebrae. It's not like we didn't pass AND RUN better with Polumbus in last week.

Unless we're just Belicheating Pitt the same way they're trying to turn Brown into Schrödingers Receiver, I don't understand this at all. Hopefully it's just a case of things looking very differently at ground level than they do on TV; OTOH, there's a reason many OCs like to make calls from the booth.

I think it might be a lack of options. Tyler Polumbus isn't great, but he wasn't run over like a turn-style.

It was only last week when Kubiak said that Schofield was "seeing ghosts" out there indicating that his confidence is shot. How they can trot him back out there is just unfathomable. I know they've only got 3 Ts on the roster, but damn.

Just go with Polumbus and Harris unless they get hurt. If there was another T on the roster I'd inactivate Schofield and leave him on the bus. He is so completely WORTHLESS.

BroncoWave
01-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Was reported to day that Kubes will play both guys at tackle this week. I would assume he will rotate them early then just go with the hot hand. I don't mind it to be honest. Being benched might have been a wake up call to Schfield and maybe he will play with more fire because of it. And if not, we have Polumbus ready to go.

Buff
01-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Maybe they plan on running some tackle eligible passes to him? Surely they aren't under the assumption that he will block anybody.

BroncoWave
01-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Maybe they plan on running some tackle eligible passes to him? Surely they aren't under the assumption that he will block anybody.

You never know how a guy will respond to getting benched, and the coaches have said that Scho is a better run blocker than Polumbus. If we are planning on running a bunch against, Pitt, which could very well be the case, that would explain why Schofield will be getting reps.

Buff
01-14-2016, 06:14 PM
You never know how a guy will respond to getting benched, and the coaches have said that Scho is a better run blocker than Polumbus. If we are planning on running a bunch against, Pitt, which could very well be the case, that would explain why Schofield will be getting reps.

Yeah, but he can't pass protect at all. Like, not even a little bit... So that seems like it could present some problems.

BroncoWave
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Yeah, but he can't pass protect at all. Like, not even a little bit... So that seems like it could present some problems.

Eh, I'm not too worried about it. Given that he benched him last week I'm sure he will still be on a short leash. It's not like Polumbus is some all pro either. They are both bad. I'm sure he is just hoping one of them will step up and be the hot hand.

TXBRONC
01-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Why are they leaving Sho out there? Polumbus clearly did a better job when coming in. I dont get it.....

IIRC when Polumbus went in they gave him help from the tight end. If they do the same for Schofield I think they will be ok. However, Polumbus should still get the start.

Cugel
01-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Alfred Williams was in a rage on his afternoon show today at the news Schofield is starting. He said "if you have any doubts about a guy you don't start him in the playoffs. Period."

He has a point.

Davii
01-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Alfred Williams was in a rage on his afternoon show today at the news Schofield is starting. He said "if you have any doubts about a guy you don't start him in the playoffs. Period."

He has a point.

He kept stopping himself saying he wouldn't trash the guy, but man Dmac kept pushing, but he did stop short of straight trashing him.

Canmore
01-15-2016, 01:57 AM
He kept stopping himself saying he wouldn't trash the guy, but man Dmac kept pushing, but he did stop short of straight trashing him.

So he just kind of trashed him. Here I'll do better Schofield SUCKS!

Mike
01-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Mark Schlereth interviewed by DMac and Alfred Williams. Pretty damning stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/1043thefan/mark-schlereth-the-drive

artie_dale
01-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Yikes. If I had to think of a logical reason... Kubes' goal as our HC is to develop all his players (vs Fox only giving play and practice time to the veteran starters). But, the other logical reason is that Kubes & Dennison don't know wtf they are doing. Another logical thing that is even MORE likely is I don't know wtf I'm talking about. All very possible.

Buff
01-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Schlereth said Schofield doesn't belong in this league as a backup - and I don't disagree. And that when we tried to give him help with a RB, he got beat so quickly the RB couldn't even get there to help.

How and why would we even consider playing him on Sunday?

Cugel
01-15-2016, 02:59 PM
I'd say that the only reason I can think of for playing Schofield is that they only have 3 Ts on the roster and 2 of them need to start.

slim
01-15-2016, 03:04 PM
This is discouraging news.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2016, 03:45 PM
https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/54607/0976466001440436174_filepicker.jpg

TXBRONC
01-15-2016, 03:47 PM
https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/54607/0976466001440436174_filepicker.jpg

Even on the sideline he looks lost.

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Schofield had a +2.7 rating from PFF for his game, the 6th highest of any Bronco.

Maybe, just maybe, the coaches know just a bit more than us fans about who should and shouldn't be starting games for us.

EastCoastBronco
01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Schofield had a +2.7 rating from PFF for his game, the 6th highest of any Bronco.

Maybe, just maybe, the coaches know just a bit more than us fans about who should and shouldn't be starting games for us.

No.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Schofield sucks...and so does Kubiak's gameplan.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 12h

Some fans, say, Bucs fans, would laugh at the perceived miseries of Broncos fans; that's all I'm saying

DenBronx
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM

No, that dude is awful. Want him gone sooner than later.

Davii
01-18-2016, 11:50 AM
No, that dude is awful. Want him gone sooner than later.

He played well yesterday. He better play better next week.

GEM
01-18-2016, 11:54 AM
He played well yesterday. He better play better next week.

Pretty costly holding call. Anytime an offensive linemen lets off a hold and puts his hands up like see I didn't hold em, held em. Other than the one penalty, he had a decent game.

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Gotta love it when people will just adamantly stick to their guns despite being proven wrong by what actually happened in the game. :lol:

Not saying Schofield is now a pro bowler or anything, but the key fact here is that Polumbus sucks balls too. Given our gameplan and the strengths and weaknesses of each player, the coaches thought it best to go with Schofield, and they were right.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
I have never taken the should've would've could've approach when it comes to the Broncos - I prefer to take the Al Davis approach - JUST WIN BABY, and that's exactly what the Broncos did yesterday.

Davii
01-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Gotta love it when people will just adamantly stick to their guns despite being proven wrong by what actually happened in the game. :lol:

Not saying Schofield is now a pro bowler or anything, but the key fact here is that Polumbus sucks balls too. Given our gameplan and the strengths and weaknesses of each player, the coaches thought it best to go with Schofield, and they were right.

Sorry BW, but there's literally no way to prove your position. You have zero evidence that Tyler wouldn't have heard out better or not had the holding call, etc.

Schofield played better than previously, that's all there is evidence of.

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Well, no shit Sherlock, we're stuck with the guy because we have no one behind him. The one guy behind him isn't much friggen better. My rhetoric the entire season is how does the coaches and powers that be, let it get that bad, that those are your choices? How is your backups so freaking horrible? Clady and Sambrailo both went down and the only choice was Schofield and bringing in Polumbus.

You want to sing him praises on one game, go ahead. He had a good game with a costly penalty. What else do you want? Should we throw him a party for not sucking 1 game out of 17?

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
If you believe what the coaches say about Schofield and Polumbus (but what do they know amirite?), Schofield is a better run blocker and Polumbus is better in pass pro. Given that Peyton's quick release kinda masks pass pro deficiencies anyway and we were more trying to establish the run, it makes total sense that Schofield would have been the starter for this game.

But yeah, I'm sure we message board experts know better!

Davii
01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Pretty costly holding call. Anytime an offensive linemen lets off a hold and puts his hands up like see I didn't hold em, held em. Other than the one penalty, he had a decent game.

I honestly thought that was a weak call. He was holding inside (which everyone does on every play) and as soon as the DE got outside his frame he released. At least that's what my biased eyes saw.

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Well, no shit Sherlock, we're stuck with the guy because we have no one behind him. The one guy behind him isn't much friggen better. My rhetoric the entire season is how does the coaches and powers that be, let it get that bad, that those are your choices? How is your backups so freaking horrible? Clady and Sambrailo both went down and the only choice was Schofield and bringing in Polumbus.

You want to sing him praises on one game, go ahead. He had a good game with a costly penalty. What else do you want? Should we throw him a party for not sucking 1 game out of 17?

That's my point though. Polumbus sucks too, so it's stupid to criticize the coaches for playing Schofield. It's not Kubiak's fault he has the roster he has at his disposal, he just has to do the best he can with it. And despite being totally bashed for this move, it worked.

Davii
01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
If you believe what the coaches say about Schofield and Polumbus (but what do they know amirite?), Schofield is a better run blocker and Polumbus is better in pass pro. Given that Peyton's quick release kinda masks pass pro deficiencies anyway and we were more trying to establish the run, it makes total sense that Schofield would have been the starter for this game.

Why do you always have to be so condescending? You don't always have to be right BW, and I bet you could carry out a conversation without being rude to others you converse with.

Hell, you call out the coaches all the time and then act condescending to people for questioning you. Fan police, right?

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Schlereth knows better and he says he shouldn't even be in the NFL...I'll take his word on the guys season instead of your cheerleading 1 game. :shrugs:

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:05 PM
That's my point though. Polumbus sucks too, so it's stupid to criticize the coaches for playing Schofield. It's not Kubiak's fault he has the roster he has at his disposal, he just has to do the best he can with it. And despite being totally bashed for this move, it worked.

I get they have to play him, but that doesn't save him from criticism when he plays horribly.

I just said he had a decent game with a costly penalty, that took a 42 yd run off the books, that's about as good as I can compliment him in 1 game out of 17.

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:07 PM
I honestly thought that was a weak call. He was holding inside (which everyone does on every play) and as soon as the DE got outside his frame he released. At least that's what my biased eyes saw.

It could be viewed a ticky tack, but a hold none the less. There are much worse holding calls not called every game, but it took 42 yds off the books.

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Why do you always have to be so condescending? You don't always have to be right BW, and I bet you could carry out a conversation without being rude to others you converse with.

Hell, you call out the coaches all the time and then act condescending to people for questioning you. Fan police, right?

I just think it's funny that everyone was SO SURE this was the wrong move before the game and just refused to acknowledge that there was the potential that maybe Kubes knew what he was doing here.

As the only person in this thread who was giving him leeway for the move before the game, I am going to gloat about it. :D

Davii
01-18-2016, 12:08 PM
It could be viewed a ticky tack, but a hold none the less. There are much worse holding calls not called every game, but it took 42 yds off the books.

That's what I felt, it was a hold, but it was also one of those holds that rarely gets called.

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 12:08 PM
I get they have to play him, but that doesn't save him from criticism when he plays horribly.

I just said he had a decent game with a costly penalty, that took a 42 yd run off the books, that's about as good as I can compliment him in 1 game out of 17.

I think you are missing my point. I am not saying AT ALL that Schofield shouldn't be criticized. Hell, I have bashed him all year.

My ONLY point in all of this is defending Kubes for making a move he was roundly bashed for.

Davii
01-18-2016, 12:10 PM
I just think it's funny that everyone was SO SURE this was the wrong move before the game and just refused to acknowledge that there was the potential that maybe Kubes knew what he was doing here.

As the only person in this thread who was giving him leeway for the move before the game, I am going to gloat about it. :D

Remember that when you question the coaches and get told something.

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:10 PM

It's not the wrong move, it's the only move they had. I get that. That hasn't been my point the whole season. It's more of an issue with front office.

Elway knows what it takes on the line, he had all pros and pro bowlers at every position on the line in front of him during his best years. This is the weakest offensive line we've put on the field probably ever...I just don't understand letting it go to that point and then being so damn stubborn not giving the kid help.

GEM
01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
I think you are missing my point. I am not saying AT ALL that Schofield shouldn't be criticized. Hell, I have bashed him all year.

My ONLY point in all of this is defending Kubes for making a move he was roundly bashed for.

You're only point was gloating...don't lie. :laugh: :D

BroncoWave
01-18-2016, 12:55 PM
It's not the wrong move, it's the only move they had. I get that. That hasn't been my point the whole season. It's more of an issue with front office.

Elway knows what it takes on the line, he had all pros and pro bowlers at every position on the line in front of him during his best years. This is the weakest offensive line we've put on the field probably ever...I just don't understand letting it go to that point and then being so damn stubborn not giving the kid help.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Krugan
01-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Forgot about this thread...

Scho looked useable as in he didnt get used as much as usual.

Honestly i didnt focus on him so much this game, as i was just frustrated with how open the steelers wr were getting and hoe dropalicious ours were.

I hope he is getting it, would be nice to not have to worry so much about one more slot on the oline.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Offensive tackle Michael Schofield has taken his share of criticism for his play this season, but coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged the second-year player's improvement Sunday after the Broncos' AFC divisional playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"Proud of Michael," Kubiak said. "He battled in there and did a good job. That's what you want to see, because the stage got a little bit bigger and a he got a little bit better. That's good for our team."

Schofield, who played all 74 of the Broncos' offensive snaps at right tackle, allowed only one quarterback hurry on 39 pass blocks, according to Pro Football Focus.
Broncos running back C.J. Anderson (22) scores a touchdown in the fourth quarter against the Bengals and celebrates with Michael Schofield (79) and Bennie
Broncos running back C.J. Anderson (22) scores a touchdown in the fourth quarter against the Bengals and celebrates with Michael Schofield (79) and Bennie Fowler (16). (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was sacked only once, when Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison ran around the right side of the line and barreled over running back C.J. Anderson in the third quarter.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29400741/michael-schofield-receives-high-marks-vs-steelers

Dapper Dan
01-18-2016, 09:59 PM
That's what I felt, it was a hold, but it was also one of those holds that rarely gets called.

That's pretty much what I said to my friend when I saw it. It happens pretty much every single play, and they decided to call it on that f-ing play.