PDA

View Full Version : Through My Eyes: Shiloh Keo's journey from free agency to Broncos playmaker

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Shiloh Keo Player Contributor Safety

On Dec. 9, I woke up with a feeling it was going to be a great day.

My two little boys came up to me in the morning wanting to play. My youngest son was wearing a snow hat and he looked hilarious and he was just really happy that morning, which made me happy. I somehow knew that that day was going to be different. I snapped a quick picture of him for Instagram and then within 45 minutes I got the phone call.

It was my agent saying, “Hey, the Broncos are bringing you in.”

My wife had just taken the kids, I’m about to drive off to my work out, so I call her up on the road and she just starts crying.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Through-My-Eyes-Shiloh-Keos-journey-from-free-agency-to-Broncos-playmaker/e0d23ee3-5cbb-4743-8d8f-f87531380e92

turftoad
01-08-2016, 08:33 PM
That's cool Carol!
I like him and like him for depth.

Hawgdriver
01-09-2016, 02:43 AM
Elway knows his stuff.

tomjonesrocks
01-09-2016, 03:55 PM
These are pretty good. Didn't Harris kinda publicly trash the guy?

Simple Jaded
01-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Shiloh when I was young, I used to call your name.

NeilDiamondRocks

Cugel
01-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Elway seems to be able to find FAs (at least for the defense) who can come in and contribute. For some reason this doesn't extend to OL nearly as much though. His FA OL like Evan Mathis have not produced for the team. He's been a $4 M disappointment so far to the point where he's rotating with Max Garcia at LG. We'll see if he starts against the Steelers.

Simple Jaded
01-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Elway seems to be able to find FAs (at least for the defense) who can come in and contribute. For some reason this doesn't extend to OL nearly as much though. His FA OL like Evan Mathis have not produced for the team. He's been a $4 M disappointment so far to the point where he's rotating with Max Garcia at LG. We'll see if he starts against the Steelers.

Mathis has been fine but injured (Vasquez too) and certainly no worse than Paradis, it's the T's that have killed this OL.

How quickly we forget Vasquez going ALL-Pro as a free agent and Elway has mostly tried to build the OL through the draft.

His FA mistakes on the OL were Kubiak retreads, players nobody but Kubisk wants, id stop short of blaming that on the FO.

Joel
01-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Mathis has been fine but injured (Vasquez too) and certainly no worse than Paradis, it's the T's that have killed this OL.

How quickly we forget Vasquez going ALL-Pro as a free agent and Elway has mostly tried to build the OL through the draft.

His FA mistakes on the OL were Kubiak retreads, players nobody but Kubisk wants, id stop short of blaming that on the FO.
Chris Clark and Manny Ramirez weren't "Kubiak retreads," just crappy linemen Kubiak DUMPED almost the second he arrived. If Elway had a good track record picking offensive linemen (in FA or ANYWHERE) he wouldn't have brought Kubiak and Dennison home to fix a line that's been a train wreck since before even ELWAY returned. Elway found Vasquez, and you're very correct too many people have been kicking the former All Pro too much while he's hurt.

Yet the best to be said of Elways OTHER offensive line choices so far is that they're better than the overpriced bums preceding them, which isn't saying much. You can't wait until the 9th or 10th player taken at ANY position in ANY draft and expect starter material: Too many other teams with huge needs there have had a PAIR of shots to fill them before you spend a late 2nd rounder on their rejects.

Elway's gone all in on the idea a HoF QB and elite D are both necessary and sufficient to win a SB—even though that got him BLOWN OUT of THREE SBs before the Broncos gave him a stud at EVERY offensive line position and he went out a repeat champion. I don't know why anyone expected Manning to do more at 37 than Elway did at 27, or win SBs at 37 any way but how Elway did: That Elway HIMSELF evidently did is inexplicable.

Mathis sidebar: Only ~60% of his contract was guaranteed; ~$1˝ million of it was tied to playing time and other incentives, so I've been watching to see if/when he got benched, and what that would do to his bottom line and ours if/when it happened. I don't know his precise targets though, so don't know how getting zero Pro Bowl votes while Garcia gradually supplanted him affects his final salary (if at all.)

What I DO know is that, good as they are, Roby and Ray aren't good ENOUGH to justify continually enduring our SOLE and CHAMPIONSHIP-KILLING hole (i.e. the line) because we spent 1st round picks on DEPTH for an already good D instead of taking the best players at a premium position before the whole NFL had two shots at them. Just how many headshots did Elway take while he was in Mannings shoes throughout the '80s...?

Simple Jaded
01-10-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm not reading all that, nobody was talking about Ramirez and Clark, both were here when Elway got here, iirc.

tomjonesrocks
01-10-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm not reading all that, nobody was talking about Ramirez and Clark, both were here when Elway got here, iirc.

I'm not sure why OL had to come up at all in this thread. Cugel seemingly has to shoehorn Joe Thomas into any conversation.

Joel
01-11-2016, 12:42 AM
So they WEREN'T "Kubiak retreads" then? You're right they arrived before Elways return (in Ramirez' case, by a single day) but he was the one in charge when they went from green backups to the crappy starters they remained until Kubiak returned and IMMEDIATELY dumped them. That was part of his necessary scramble for better options, compounded by losing Clady to IR in the preseason and a rookie drafted in the 2nd round (higher than in a long time) about a month later.

Let's give the man more than ONE offseason and ONE draft pick at the bottom of the 4th round before writing off his efforts to improve what was a pretty terrible line long before his return. Especially since he's dramatically improved the offensive line on literally all but ONE of the FOUR teams he previously coached (and it's not like SFs early '90s line was bad, just that Kubiak didn't improve an already-good line during his brief tenure before rejoining Denver.)

SR
01-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Way to ruin a thread about a feel-good story.