PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hall of Fame finalists

Magnificent Seven
01-07-2016, 08:24 PM
The 2016 Modern-Era Finalists with their positions, years and teams:

Morten Andersen, Kicker -- 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings

Steve Atwater, Safety -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Terrell Davis, Running Back -- 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

Tony Dungy, Coach -- 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts

Alan Faneca, Guard -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Brett Favre, Quarterback -- 1991 Atlanta Falcons, 1992-2007 Green Bay Packers, 2008 New York Jets, 2009-2010 Minnesota Vikings

Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End -- 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver -- 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts

Joe Jacoby, Tackle -- 1981-1993 Washington Redskins

Edgerrin James, Running Back -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

John Lynch, Free Safety -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver -- 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals

Orlando Pace, Tackle -- 1997-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Chicago Bears

Kurt Warner, Quarterback -- 1998-2003 St. Louis Rams, 2004 New York Giants, 2005-09 Arizona Cardinals

The 15 Modern-Era Finalists join three other finalists to comprise 18 finalists under consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2016.

Two Senior Finalists were announced in August 2015 by the Seniors Committee that reviews the qualifications of those players whose careers ended more than 25 years ago.

Ken Stabler, Quarterback -- 1970-1979 Oakland Raiders, 1980-1981 Houston Oilers, 1982-1984 New Orleans Saints

Dick Stanfel, Guard -- 1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins

A Contributor Finalist announced in September was selected by the Hall of Fame's Contributor Committee that considers persons who made outstanding contributions to professional football other than players and coaches.

Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner -- 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap3000000618896/article/brett-favre-terrell-owens-highlight-2016-hall-of-fame-finalists

Magnificent Seven
01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Finally! We have three Broncos players on the list.

NightTerror218
01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Davis is only RB on list. Lynch will make it before Atwater I think.

Warner and farve are shoe ins I think

BroncoWave
01-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Something tells me this is the year TD gets in. I think Favre is the only shoo-in of the 3 first timers, so this could be a year guys like him who have been getting passed up could finally sneak into the Hall.

ShaneFalco
01-07-2016, 08:51 PM
how in the world did Issac Bruce not make this ><

CrazyHorse
01-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Favre is a lock. T.O. should get in before Warner. His career numbers are second only to Jerry Rice.

Dapper Dan
01-07-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm happy players don't go in with a certain team like in baseball.

DenBronx
01-08-2016, 12:10 AM
It would be nice to see 2 Broncos get in the same year Favre does. Those two teams will be forever linked. Favre is going to be 1st ballot but I feel Davis will finally get in. #30 deserves it!

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 12:19 AM
Yeah. It would be cool if Davis and Favre were in the same class.

underrated29
01-08-2016, 12:38 AM
It's crazy how good TD was. I watched some of his runs and I forgot just how amazing he was. Seeing a guy break tackle after tackle and then just burn through the defense all the way to the end zone. Man. You remember how good he was but when you see some of his runs you realize that there is nothing like him today. AD is the closest

Poet
01-08-2016, 02:08 AM
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap3000000618896/article/brett-favre-terrell-owens-highlight-2016-hall-of-fame-finalists

In order of the finalists - Kicks should not be in the Hall of Fame, they're barely football players.

Atwater retired as a top five safety of all-time. He should have arguably first balloted. He needs to be in now.

The chargers offense was revolutionary. But he doesn't have a NFL Championship or a SB, so he has no business being in the NFL Hall of Fame.

TD is a borderline case; there are some guys who have short careers that we disregard, others than we don't. Go with the gut. Put him in.

Dungy - He was one of the best coaches in the NFL for a long time. The Tampa Two Defense was his. Gruden won a SB with his team, and then Dungy won a SB with Peyton Manning.

Faneca - one of the best guards ever. Had both spectacular play and longevity. His career was supposed to be over after he left Pittsburgh, but he kept going as a Jet for several years. He should be in.

Favre - retired as a passing god, and his numbers are relevant still. We might remember him for some of his mistakes, but he came out ahead more often than not. Arguably the toughest man to play the game. He HAS to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Kevin Greene - so many Pittsburgh players got in when they were not great. Unfortunately one of their all-time best is not in, and Greene is in the top five all-time for sacks, and he could play the run. It's shameful he's not in.

Marvin Harrison - has a lot of yards, TD's, catches, and records. If Peyton Manning was the surgeon, he was the scalpel. He is a Hall of Famer.

I do not know a lot about Jacoby. No opinion.

Edge has no business in the Hall of Fame. He was a RB god before he tore his ACL, but we don't remember him as one of the best backs of his era, and his place in the all-time rankings is less than legendary. He replaced Faulk, but he wasn't as good as Faulk. He wasn't as good as LT. He probably wasn't as good as Shaun Alexander, who is another borderline guy. Truth be told I'm not certain he was better than Cory Dillon or Fred Taylor.

Lynch - I think he is a guy who gets in. I think his career speaks for itself. Not sure he's a first ballot player, but his career has that HoF feel to it.

TO - He's a top five WR. He was also a cancer throughout his career. He should be in the HoF, but he's a douchebag.

Orlando Pace is probably a top five LT of all-time. His career ended so badly in Chicago that I fear we might remember him too much for that. But this man was an animal. HoFer on sight!

Kurt Warner - his career averages out to one bad year for every good one. But he was good enough to win an MVP, and a lot of his bad seasons were due to injuries. Had he won a second SB he would probably be a HoFer. I lean towards saying 'yes', but if he doesn't get in it's not a big deal.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 02:11 AM
Did Dungy create the Tampa 2 or did Monte Kiffin?

Poet
01-08-2016, 02:12 AM
The roots of the Tampa 2 system actually are in the Steel Curtain days of Pittsburgh football.[2] "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook," said Dungy (who played for the Steelers early in his career) during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. "That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson—that is where it came from, I changed very little."[3] Lovie Smith mentions having played the system in junior high school during the 1970s, though Carson introduced the idea of moving the middle linebacker into coverage. Carson's system became especially effective with the Steelers' addition of aggressive and athletic middle linebacker Jack Lambert.[2][4]
After Dungy became head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Lovie Smith (linebackers coach in Tampa from 1996–2000) became head coach of the Chicago Bears, they installed the Tampa 2 in their respective teams. During the 2005 NFL season, the Buccaneers, still under defensive coordinator Kiffin, ranked first in the league in fewest total yards allowed, Smith's Bears ranked number two, and Dungy's Colts ranked eleventh.[5] By 2006, the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, and Detroit Lions had also adopted the defense. In college football, Gene Chizik is among the coaches that successfully implemented the Tampa 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2

ShaneFalco
01-08-2016, 02:20 AM
Orlando Pace was the truth for real

Poet
01-08-2016, 02:21 AM
Orlando Pace was the truth for real

I think he had four seasons without giving up more than a sack; two of those seasons he gave up zero?

That man was beasting upon the league.

Northman
01-08-2016, 03:22 AM
It's crazy how good TD was. I watched some of his runs and I forgot just how amazing he was. Seeing a guy break tackle after tackle and then just burn through the defense all the way to the end zone. Man. You remember how good he was but when you see some of his runs you realize that there is nothing like him today. AD is the closest

Indeed. Sucks that his career was cut short like it was but he was a beast for that time period.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 03:43 AM
If TD would have had 3-5 more years of average play, he would have been a first ballot HOFer

TXBRONC
01-08-2016, 09:41 AM
If TD would have had 3-5 more years of average play, he would have been a first ballot HOFer

I agree, but I think he should have still been in before now.

VonDoom
01-08-2016, 10:00 AM
So TD gets in this year and the Broncos win the Super Bowl the next day. How about it??

TXBRONC
01-08-2016, 10:06 AM
So TD gets in this year and the Broncos win the Super Bowl the next day. How about it??

That would be sweet.

underrated29
01-08-2016, 10:27 AM
It's the hall of fame not hall of longevity.

underrated29
01-08-2016, 10:27 AM
And Bettis is one of the biggest farces.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
And Bettis is one of the biggest farces.

Lol. Biggest.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Because he's fat.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-08-2016, 12:06 PM
This is the year TD gets in. Atwater, based on the finalist list, even though his career speaks for itself and should be more than enough, should be getting in too.

All three Broncos are as deserving as anybody on that list but I'm pessimistic that they'll finally get the recognition they deserve. Favre, TO and Warner will get in, I'm guessing.

NightTerror218
01-08-2016, 01:22 PM
This is the year TD gets in. Atwater, based on the finalist list, even though his career speaks for itself and should be more than enough, should be getting in too.

All three Broncos are as deserving as anybody on that list but I'm pessimistic that they'll finally get the recognition they deserve. Favre, TO and Warner will get in, I'm guessing.

Lynch will be HOF as a Buc.

Read the TD odds are good as a return finalist, back to back years.

Denver is one franchise that has been held back in it representation in the HOF. So many players should be there and have been over looked.

TimHippo
01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Indeed. Sucks that his career was cut short like it was but he was a beast for that time period.

Sad thing is his injury was off a pick six with a lineman or something barreling into his knee from behind. Never should have happened and there was nothing Terrell could do to protect against that scenario.

BroncoJoe
01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Sad thing is his injury was off a pick six with a lineman or something barreling into his knee from behind. Never should have happened and there was nothing Terrell could do to protect against that scenario.

It happened during an interception, but not a pick 6.

MOtorboat
01-08-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up.

BroncoWave
01-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Denver is one franchise that has been held back in it representation in the HOF. So many players should be there and have been over looked.

You don't go into the HOF as a member of a certain team in the NFL.

Poet
01-08-2016, 02:41 PM
You don't go into the HOF as a member of a certain team in the NFL.

It makes me mad.

tubby
01-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Steve Freaking Atwater!!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x146/nfl_mitchell/Denver%20Broncos/SteveAtwaterSafety.jpg

tubby
01-08-2016, 06:22 PM
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1210%2Fr34704_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&location=origin

:defense::salute:

Dapper Dan
01-08-2016, 09:28 PM
I think it's weird and petty that baseball players have to pick what team they're going in as. They're going in as a player. The team choosing is dumb.

BroncoWave
01-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I think it's weird and petty that baseball players have to pick what team they're going in as. They're going in as a player. The team choosing is dumb.

I totally agree. I love that the NFL HOF recognizes every team you played with. Guys like Griffey and Piazza played large and meaningful chunks of their careers with the Reds and Dodgers and those teams don't get recognized on their plaques.

Poet
01-08-2016, 10:34 PM
It feels wrong, though.

Joel
01-08-2016, 11:48 PM
The chargers offense was revolutionary. But he doesn't have a NFL Championship or a SB, so he has no business being in the NFL Hall of Fame.
Air Coryell did more to create the West Coast Offense (including being the guy for whom the term was coined) than anything ya'lls old QB coach did with Virgil Carter and Ken Anderson: He should've been in the Hall decades ago. On that note, inducting a mere OWNER whose sole "contributions" to the NFL were hiring Walsh, forcing the league to create the salary cap and being REMOVED as an owner due to federal felony convictions would be a travesty.

You're right though: Anyone who doesn't win at LEAST one SB (preferably 2+) better set as many records as Tarkenton and Marino or not even bother showing up for HoF inductions, since they'll never be more than spectators. There are a few exceptions (Kelly comes to mind,) but that's all they are or number.

Poet
01-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Air Coryell did more to create the West Coast Offense (including being the guy for whom the term was coined) than anything ya'lls old QB coach did with Virgil Carter and Ken Anderson: He should've been in the Hall decades ago. On that note, inducting a mere OWNER whose sole "contributions" to the NFL were hiring Walsh, forcing the league to create the salary cap and being REMOVED as an owner due to federal felony convictions would be a travesty.

You're right though: Anyone who doesn't win at LEAST one SB (preferably 2+) better set as many records as Tarkenton and Marino or not even bother showing up for HoF inductions, since they'll never be more than spectators. There are a few exceptions (Kelly comes to mind,) but that's all they are or number.

To quote Rich Eisen, "It should be called the Midwest coast offense." http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/75211/belichick-hails-paul-browns-ohio-river-o

You can argue with BB if you want, but he's also a noted football historian. I can also point to the Football Life on Paul Brown, too. It's mostly credited to Walsh, but Brown is starting to get some recognition for his role in the offense.

Never disrespect Paul Brown again.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2016, 08:47 AM
RTza50UcbGo

Poet
01-09-2016, 02:04 PM
I'd vote for him.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Denver Broncos Retweeted
Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 33m

Finalist @Terrell_Davis trails only HOFer Jim Brown in career rush avg (101.7 ypg), inc. record 142.5 playoff avg.

TXBRONC
02-05-2016, 12:58 PM
I would be happy for any former Broncos who gets in but I would especially happy for Davis because he spent his entire career in Denver and Atwater because all but one year of his career was spent elsewhere.

Joel
02-05-2016, 03:32 PM
RTza50UcbGo
That one I'd seen a few times, but, all things considered, I figured this was a good time to watch it again, and I'm glad I did, because I HADN'T seen this:
EN97yLyMwmE
They do the stats comparison at the end; Sharpe says Terrell Davis' stats were "a little better" than Gale Sayers', but that's being kind: In just 10 more games, Davis gained 2651 yds and 21 TDs more than Gale Sayers. 10 games; that's barely half a season, but the difference is (a lot) more than the season yardage record, and within hailing distance of the season TD record.

Shanny has the right of it though: It's the playoffs that make all the difference, because NO RB was EVER as consistently DOMINANT in the playoffs as Terrell Davis. Not Brown. Not Barry. Not Sweetness. Not Emmitt. Not Dickerson. Riggins comes CLOSE, because he dominated throughout the '82 playoffs (though he only had half a seasons wear, thanks to the strike,) but in '83 he was merely good until the SB, where the Raiders flat shut him DOWN: Yet "playoff dominance" got HIM to Canton.

So doing so much more in the playoffs should do the same for Terrell Davis, because he was NEVER shut down in the playoffs, by ANYONE. The closest anyone came to that is either his lone <100 yd game (when he only had 14 carries vs. the Jags; he still averaged 6.5 each) or when KC held him to "only" 101 and a 4.04 avg in '97. Bringing it back to Sharpes arguments: 2000 yd season, 2 SBs, SB MVP, NFL MVP. Elway himself said it should be TWO SB MVPs, because he only got his because Atlanta sold out on stopping Terrell Davis—and FAILED, because he STILL had 102 yds rushing (though it was his ONLY playoff game without a TD.)

The LONGEST sustained playoff dominance EVER—3 years; 8 straight games—"wasn't long enough." Shannon almost seemed ashamed to be in a HoF that lacks Davis.

DenBronx
02-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Nope, he will go in as both a Buc and Bronco. Just like Manning will go in a Colt and Bronco. Football is different than Baseball.

What irks me though is Irsay is trying to get Manning to sign a 1 day contract when he retires to retire a Colt. Manning should tell him to **** off.

Joel
02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Nope, he will go in as both a Buc and Bronco. Just like Manning will go in a Colt and Bronco. Football is different than Baseball.

What irks me though is Irsay is trying to get Manning to sign a 1 day contract when he retires to retire a Colt. Manning should tell him to **** off.
He should, but may sign it anyway for the sake of Colts fans. And because he's a lot classier than Irsay, so won't publicly give him the finger at his retirement party. What's sad is the Colts didn't draft Manning till '98, but he has far more consideration for Colts fans than the guy whose family's owned the team most of his life.

NightTerror218
02-05-2016, 04:56 PM

I think Manning should I am grateful for having him but he is always going to be a colt. I would like to see Colts retire #18. I just hope Manning jabs irsay for being a d-bag the last few years to manning.

Manning is under contract next season with broncos. So he would have to be cut by the Broncos in order to sign a 1 day with Colts. If Manning retires while under contract with broncos, they still have the rights to him if he comes back. This is exactly like the Palmer thing as a Bengal.

Ravage!!!
02-05-2016, 04:58 PM
it was revolutionary. It changed football, and is still being used.. BY championship teams. I don't think a Championship should be a prerequisite for a HoF ballot, as there are a lot of players that never got a ring are in, and deserved it. I'm confused by your reasoning on this one.

Dungy - He was one of the best coaches in the NFL for a long time. The Tampa Two Defense was his. Gruden won a SB with his team, and then Dungy won a SB with Peyton Manning.
Had one of the greatest QBs of all time and has a LOSING playoff record with said QB. Had a LOSING playoff record in Tampa, and he has said that the tampa 2 defense was a defense he learned while playing in Pittsburgh. So it certainly is not his.

NOT only does he have a losing playoff record as a coach, but took Manning to only ONE Super Bowl. In the meantime, 2 other coaches took over HIS team, and they both went to the Super Bowl the 1st year he was gone. Manning comes to Denver, and in 4 seasons has gone to the Super Bowl twice now, and with 2 different coaches. That's a testiment on just how much Dungy very well could have been the deciding factor in losing in the playoffs.

People don't think Marty Schottenheimer doesn't deserve to be in the HoF. One of the best coaches in the NFL that took 3 different losing franchises and turned them into WINNERS. How many AFC Championships has the Browns been to since he left? How many have the Chiefs been to since he left? How many have the Chargers been to since he left? Guess what.... HE has a better playoff record than Tony Dungy.

Dungy is the most over-rated coach in history.

tomjonesrocks
02-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Don't think Manning should sign that 1 day contract with the Colts. It's a stupid meaningless tradition that's beneath him.

Besides he's outdone pretty much every legendary QB that's ever tried to have success late with another team.

DenBronx
02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
If he wins the SB you could say he has his greatest success as a Bronco. He beat the Bears but if he beats the Panthers then I would say that was a greater W bc Panthers this year are better than those Bears were. Plus Manning broke alot of the most coveted records as a Bronco. His success was in a shorter span than when he was a Colt, 2 SBs in 3 years.

dogfish
02-05-2016, 05:39 PM
won't get my hopes up, but i am getting a little excited for this. . . it can't hurt steve or TD to have the broncos in the super bowl spotlight again. . . definitely won't hold my breath, though. . .

BroncoJoe
02-05-2016, 05:57 PM
it was revolutionary. It changed football...

Wait. I thought football hasn't changed since it was started.

:confused:

Poet
02-06-2016, 12:13 AM
it was revolutionary. It changed football, and is still being used.. BY championship teams. I don't think a Championship should be a prerequisite for a HoF ballot, as there are a lot of players that never got a ring are in, and deserved it. I'm confused by your reasoning on this one.

Had one of the greatest QBs of all time and has a LOSING playoff record with said QB. Had a LOSING playoff record in Tampa, and he has said that the tampa 2 defense was a defense he learned while playing in Pittsburgh. So it certainly is not his.

NOT only does he have a losing playoff record as a coach, but took Manning to only ONE Super Bowl. In the meantime, 2 other coaches took over HIS team, and they both went to the Super Bowl the 1st year he was gone. Manning comes to Denver, and in 4 seasons has gone to the Super Bowl twice now, and with 2 different coaches. That's a testiment on just how much Dungy very well could have been the deciding factor in losing in the playoffs.

People don't think Marty Schottenheimer doesn't deserve to be in the HoF. One of the best coaches in the NFL that took 3 different losing franchises and turned them into WINNERS. How many AFC Championships has the Browns been to since he left? How many have the Chiefs been to since he left? How many have the Chargers been to since he left? Guess what.... HE has a better playoff record than Tony Dungy.

Dungy is the most over-rated coach in history.

It was revolutionary, I guess. But if you don't have a ring you have to be incredibly and insanely great at coaching and incredibly innovative. Eh. I won't be mad if he gets in. Yet coaches only tend to get in as winners, and let's be honest, Air had a champsionship team that never got it done, not even once.

You're wrong about Dungy. If you bash him for his playoff record then you surely take great issue with Peyton's; Dungy was a great coach he just couldn't deal with Belichick, thems the breaks. Yet, as of right now, Dungy is the only coach to get a SB victory out of Manning. Fox and Caldwell missed out on those opportunities. What does that say? And yes, he learned about the schemes in Pittsburgh, but he perfected it. He added the finishing touches, and there are differences between his variation and the classic shell.

I would probably put Shotty in the HoF. His track record of greatness, albeit bad finishes, is undeniable. He kept running into John Elway, thems the breaks, just like Dungy. But did Shotty make anything? I mean Martyball was passive offensive and a great defense. But defense wins championships and he doesn't have any.

MOtorboat
02-06-2016, 02:10 AM

Coryell and Walsh ran two separate passing systems with two separate theories of how to attack the defense with the passing game. The two systems may have, at different times, been called the West Coast Offense, but they are not related.

dogfish
02-06-2016, 02:38 AM
It was revolutionary, I guess. But if you don't have a ring you have to be incredibly and insanely great at coaching and incredibly innovative. Eh. I won't be mad if he gets in. Yet coaches only tend to get in as winners, and let's be honest, Air had a champsionship team that never got it done, not even once.

You're wrong about Dungy. If you bash him for his playoff record then you surely take great issue with Peyton's; Dungy was a great coach he just couldn't deal with Belichick, thems the breaks. Yet, as of right now, Dungy is the only coach to get a SB victory out of Manning. Fox and Caldwell missed out on those opportunities. What does that say? And yes, he learned about the schemes in Pittsburgh, but he perfected it. He added the finishing touches, and there are differences between his variation and the classic shell.

I would probably put Shotty in the HoF. His track record of greatness, albeit bad finishes, is undeniable. He kept running into John Elway, thems the breaks, just like Dungy. But did Shotty make anything? I mean Martyball was passive offensive and a great defense. But defense wins championships and he doesn't have any.

you know i love ya, but i'm more w/ rav on this one. . .

people say gruden won w/ "dungy's players," but i call BS. . . he won w/ monte kiffin calling the same defense, w/ the same superstar cast. . . but chuckie was the guy that nursed a weak offensive roster along to the finish line, and he never gets enough credit for that. . .

on the flipside, dungy never had a truly credible defense again-- save maybe the year they did win it, and a lot of that was bob sanders actually stopping the run for once in indy's life. . . now, granted, bill polian is every bit as much to blame as dungy. . . it was just stupid to spend all their money and cap space on fancy weapons. . . f'ing blockheads! manning didn't need to be coddled like that-- he was probably capable of making guys on offense better by his 4th or 5th year, at worst. . . they should have gotten some talent on defense, and let peyton do with less. . . again, not all on tony by any means. . . but by my estimation, he ultimately didn't acieve everything he could have, given his fairly unique mix of opportunities. . . dude had a generational defense, AND a top-five all-time QB for all of his prime years, and he won what at the end of the day? one ring, yes-- and what else? most of his resume is participation trophies, almost were's and could've beens. . .

still a very good career, of course-- no arguing that. . . but you just don't see that many examples of teams running that same scheme achieving any kind of comparable success. . . teams will always have some type of cover-2 in their repoirtore going forward, but there were zone principles before, and will be zone principles after. . . again, not taking credit away, but i don't see him as a dick lebeau type of innovator in the long run. . . JMO. . .

Poet
02-06-2016, 02:46 AM
Gruden got too much credit for that offense, IMO. I'm also not sure how he didn't win with Dungy's team. Dungy went on to be a stud at Indy. What did Monte Kiffin do? What did Gruden do when Dungy's players got old and left? Exactly. To credit them with win and not give Dungy as much credit is wrong.

If you look at Dungy's Colts team, all the resources went to the offense. He had Sanders for a few years, two pass rushers, and that was it. Sure, Belichick would have gotten more mileage out of them, but give me a break, those defenses had bad players on them.

Let's also be honest, the Colts won a million division titles, had a million double digit win seasons, were perennial playoff contenders, and Dungy was integral to their long term success. Fox couldn't win a SB with him, and he has a good reputation in the league. Caldwell got carried there and couldn't do it, either.

OrangeHoof
02-06-2016, 10:21 AM
I don't really care about Lynch but I'd love to see Davis or Atwater make it in. With this one, Denver will have appeared in as many Super Bowls as any other franchise and yet they just have 4 principle Broncos in the Hall? Contrast that with the Steelers and Cowboys and it is practically obscene how much the Broncos have been overlooked in the Hall.

BroncoWave
02-06-2016, 10:23 AM
What time do they announce this today?

Northman
02-06-2016, 10:30 AM
you know i love ya, but i'm more w/ rav on this one. . .

people say gruden won w/ "dungy's players," but i call BS. . . he won w/ monte kiffin calling the same defense, w/ the same superstar cast. . . but chuckie was the guy that nursed a weak offensive roster along to the finish line, and he never gets enough credit for that. . .

on the flipside, dungy never had a truly credible defense again-- save maybe the year they did win it, and a lot of that was bob sanders actually stopping the run for once in indy's life. . . now, granted, bill polian is every bit as much to blame as dungy. . . it was just stupid to spend all their money and cap space on fancy weapons. . . f'ing blockheads! manning didn't need to be coddled like that-- he was probably capable of making guys on offense better by his 4th or 5th year, at worst. . . they should have gotten some talent on defense, and let peyton do with less. . . again, not all on tony by any means. . . but by my estimation, he ultimately didn't acieve everything he could have, given his fairly unique mix of opportunities. . . dude had a generational defense, AND a top-five all-time QB for all of his prime years, and he won what at the end of the day? one ring, yes-- and what else? most of his resume is participation trophies, almost were's and could've beens. . .

still a very good career, of course-- no arguing that. . . but you just don't see that many examples of teams running that same scheme achieving any kind of comparable success. . . teams will always have some type of cover-2 in their repoirtore going forward, but there were zone principles before, and will be zone principles after. . . again, not taking credit away, but i don't see him as a dick lebeau type of innovator in the long run. . . JMO. . .

Yea i agree with you guys, Dungy was pretty overrated.

Bronco4ever
02-06-2016, 10:34 AM
What time do they announce this today?

NFL Honors starts at 9 pm EST on CBS.

BroncoJoe
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
REALLY hoping TD gets in.

chazoe60
02-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm hoping Steve and TD both make it. How awesome would that be? They both deserve it. I always thought that Steve could have easily been the co-MVP of SBXXXII.

I'm flabbergasted by the lack of respect that Atwater receives. He was on the all decade team and has 8 or 9 (i cant remember exactly) ProBowls. He is one of the best safeties to ever play this game.

BroncoJoe
02-06-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm hoping Steve and TD both make it. How awesome would that be? They both deserve it. I always thought that Steve could have easily been the co-MVP of SBXXXII.

I'm flabbergasted by the lack of respect that Atwater receives. He was on the all decade team and has 8 or 9 (i cant remember exactly) ProBowls. He is one of the best safeties to ever play this game.

I totally agree, but if I had to choose between the two (because there's no way in hell two Broncos get elected) it would be TD. He is the one mostly responsible for our championships.

Nomad
02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
I totally agree, but if I had to choose between the two (because there's no way in hell two Broncos get elected) it would be TD. He is the one mostly responsible for our championships.

I don't ever watch BRONCO games after they have been played, but I do enjoy watching highlights of TD from time to time. He was awesome to watch.

Joel
02-06-2016, 01:22 PM
More revolutionary than the Tampa 2, which merely formalized the 2 deep safety+LB zone teams had used sporadically since the '50s. The main change was that teams NEEDED it more and needed LBs (and occasionally safeties) to stop the run less; why do you think that was...? ;)

I believe he DOES take issue with Peytons, but that's beside the pont: You're applying a double standard.

If Dungy was a great coach just outfoxed by Belicheat, isn't Coryell a great coach just outfoxed by Shula, Madden (Coryells protege) and Noll? Coryell actually BEAT Shula on the road in the playoffs: In the Epic in Miami; had SD not gone from that sauna marathon to -59° wind chill a week later, ya'll might have one SB appearance instead of two. Coming second or even third against the countless elite '70s and '80s dynasties is a bigger deal than coming second or third in the cap and FA era.

Yet Dungy belongs in the Hall more than Coryell? Hardly.

I'd elect Schottenheimer, too, simply because he GOT so MANY different teams within a game of the SB, but, as you say, Rings matter far more than they should. But there again: Double standard; running into ONE dominant team in the '80s-'90s Broncos gives Schottenheimer a pass for losing AFCCG games with THREE teams, but Coryell facing the Steelers dynasty, Raiders almost-dynasty and Shulas mini-dynasty just proves him subpar? :confused:

Delivering a eulogy at Coryell's funeral, Madden noted, "You know, I'm sitting down there in front, and next to me is Joe Gibbs, and next to him is Dan Fouts, and the three of us are in the Hall of Fame because of Don Coryell (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2010/jul/12/madden-chokes-up-at-coryell-memorial-service/)." Choking up and then pausing, he continued, "There's something missing."

Joel
02-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Coryell and Walsh ran two separate passing systems with two separate theories of how to attack the defense with the passing game. The two systems may have, at different times, been called the West Coast Offense, but they are not related.
Walshs WCO is just Coryells with training wheels; Coryells vertical game for QBs too noddle-armed to take full advantage of it. If the passer rating system didn't value completions over first downs and TDs, Montana and Youngs career ratings would be OK, but not #1 and #3 among retired players. Hell, it says something that YOUNG'S rated higher even though pretty much everyone who saw both in their prime knows Montana was far better.

MOtorboat
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Top 5. And the second-best strong safety. It's ridiculous he's not in.

MOtorboat
02-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Walshs WCO is just Coryells with training wheels; Coryells vertical game for QBs too noddle-armed to take full advantage of it.

Pretty much nope all across the board. The two systems were developed completely separately with completely separate philosophies.

Joel
02-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Gruden got too much credit for that offense, IMO. I'm also not sure how he didn't win with Dungy's team. Dungy went on to be a stud at Indy. What did Monte Kiffin do? What did Gruden do when Dungy's players got old and left? Exactly. To credit them with win and not give Dungy as much credit is wrong.
It's not an either/or with Dungy/Gruden. Dungy built an elite Bucs D, and Gruden was fortunate enough to coach it in a SB against a playbook he WROTE.

If you look at Dungy's Colts team, all the resources went to the offense. He had Sanders for a few years, two pass rushers, and that was it. Sure, Belichick would have gotten more mileage out of them, but give me a break, those defenses had bad players on them.
I agree it's not Dungys fault his owner and GM screwed the ONE half of football Dungy knows best. Their idea of "building a D" was to get one or two stars and expect Dungy to make a bunch of scrubs into All Pros around them; that only worked once (and only then because the '06 Bears offense was so impotent.) Offense wins games, so they annually won a ton against semi-random regular season schedules, but D beats those 10-win offensive teams, so Indy rarely did.

Let's also be honest, the Colts won a million division titles, had a million double digit win seasons, were perennial playoff contenders, and Dungy was integral to their long term success. Fox couldn't win a SB with him, and he has a good reputation in the league. Caldwell got carried there and couldn't do it, either.
Let's be brutally honest: Manning's done nothing BUT win division titles since Dungy retired, returning to the SB the VERY NEXT YEAR, with double digit wins EVERY YEAR and a DOZEN in all but ONE. Fox is the poor mans Schottenheimer, so coming up short with him says nothing of Manning, and the post-Dungy '09 Colts were so much better than NO that the Saints needed a VERY high variance game plan to win (who onsides the second half kick? A team down two scores. ;))

Ravage!!!
02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Wait. I thought football hasn't changed since it was started.

:confused:

It hasn't. The game hasn't changed.

Just because I add a fin to the back fender of a car, doesn't mean the automobile has changed. Why is this so hard to understand?

BroncoJoe
02-06-2016, 02:53 PM
It's changed. A lot.

Ravage!!!
02-06-2016, 02:57 PM

No I'm not, you are. You're wrong about Dungy if you think he somehow is better than any other coach that coached Manning. He was the "only coach" to win with Manning.... against the bears and...who was the QB for the other team?

Marty obviously taught more than "marty ball" if he was able to take so many BAD teams (teams that just didn't make it to the playoffs) and made them winners.... over and over again. So if Marty isn't in, then Dungy absolutely doesn't deserve to make it...other than being the "First black coach" every to win a Super Bowl.

Dungy copied the defensive philosophy off the Steelers.. that's not 'making' anything. He may have used it more often, though.

Ravage!!!
02-06-2016, 02:57 PM
It's changed. A lot.
Ok..

Joel
02-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Pretty much nope all across the board. The two systems were developed completely separately with completely separate philosophies.
Separately, but not INDEPENDENTLY: Walsh cut his coaching teeth in Coryells backyard. What's more, that was in the very era when Coryell revolutionized football TWICE, by creating first the I formation then the vertical passing game (he arguably even revolutionized the game a third time by makng Kellen Winslow purely a receiving TE: The forerunner of the modern mismatch that got guys like Sharpe, Gonzalez and Gates to Canton.)

Walsh was never on any Coryell staff, but let's not pretend he learned coaching right next door without borrowing heavily from Coryell strategies EVERYONE brazenly stole from the '60s through the '80s. The WCO just uses vertical passings opportunities for "horizontal passing."

So why is RUNNING east/west bad but PASSING east/west good? It doesn't stretch defenses by making them cover the whole field, but REDUCES deep threats so defenders can concentrate at the line MORE than ever. The WCO can't "run to establish the pass," because defenders guarding short routes are perfectly positioned to stop runs. It certainly can't PASS to establish the pass, because defenders in man coverage will stick with the same receivers whether they go short OR deep.

Ask Manning or Brady how well the WCO works against a GOOD D. It's great for fantasy stats and racking up 10+ wins against whomever happens to be on this years schedule. But once the playoffs eliminate all bad teams it suddenly gets a lot harder to score when a team always runs AND passes for 5 yds at a time. It doesn't take a HoF QB to win SB, as many bad ones has proven: It just takes a HoF QB to win SBs with the West Coast Offense.

Yet De Bartolo goes to Canton for hiring Walsh, Montana and Young (never mind the lethal Ds the '9ers dynasty had throughout their pre-cap runs) and Coryell's lucky to be even be NOMINATED to join the legends he created in Madden, Gibbs and Fouts. Disgraceful; Hall of Shame would be more truthful.

Joel
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Dungy copied the defensive philosophy off the Steelers.. that's not 'making' anything. He may have used it more often, though.
Dungy only borrowed the MOST traditional part of Blitzburgs D, not even using the 3-4 base that enables Pitt to use so MANY kinds of blitzes offenses never know who's rushing the passer and who's lurking in a short middle zone to snag one of those dink and dunk WCO "passes." Dropping a safety deep on each side of the field and leaving everyone else in middle zone is just the opposite of innovative: It's just far more useful far more often since everyone switched to the WCO.

Understand, I think Dungy's a great coach, just uninspired: He's VERY good at instilling discipline, fundamentals, consistency and sound execution, on both sides of the ball. He got the most out of whatever he was given, as proven by how much he got out of how little Irsay and Polian gave him defensively.

He's just not the visionary Coryell was, and certainly didn't alter the sport as radically. If nothing else, that's clear from how long the Cover 2 was around even before Air Coryell transformed the NFL into a league where the musty old Cover 2 was even RELEVANT, let alone NECESSARY. Without legit vertical threats, teams wouldn't (and never DID) drop defenders deep nor pull LBs off the line as extra pass coverage: That just turns 3 yds and a could of dust into FIVE. Coryell exploited that refusal.

Don Coryell's the reason running ceased to be an end in itself, and why "run to establish the pass" has been the NFLs mantra for 50 years as of tomorrow. His SD State teams, and what the nearby Oakland Raiders learned from them, are why the pass-happy AFL was able to win games and, more importantly, audiences long enough to force merger, and the staid NFL has been increasingly remade in the upstart AFLs image ever since. Dungy is ultimately little more than a footnote to that.

MOtorboat
02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Separately, but not INDEPENDENTLY: Walsh cut his coaching teeth in Coryells backyard. What's more, that was in the very era when Coryell revolutionized football TWICE, by creating first the I formation then the vertical passing game (he arguably even revolutionized the game a third time by makng Kellen Winslow purely a receiving TE: The forerunner of the modern mismatch that got guys like Sharpe, Gonzalez and Gates to Canton.)

Walsh was never on any Coryell staff, but let's not pretend he learned coaching right next door without borrowing heavily from Coryell strategies EVERYONE brazenly stole from the '60s through the '80s. The WCO just uses vertical passings opportunities for "horizontal passing."

So why is RUNNING east/west bad but PASSING east/west good? It doesn't stretch defenses by making them cover the whole field, but REDUCES deep threats so defenders can concentrate at the line MORE than ever. The WCO can't "run to establish the pass," because defenders guarding short routes are perfectly positioned to stop runs. It certainly can't PASS to establish the pass, because defenders in man coverage will stick with the same receivers whether they go short OR deep.

Ask Manning or Brady how well the WCO works against a GOOD D. It's great for fantasy stats and racking up 10+ wins against whomever happens to be on this years schedule. But once the playoffs eliminate all bad teams it suddenly gets a lot harder to score when a team always runs AND passes for 5 yds at a time. It doesn't take a HoF QB to win SB, as many bad ones has proven: It just takes a HoF QB to win SBs with the West Coast Offense.

Yet De Bartolo goes to Canton for hiring Walsh, Montana and Young (never mind the lethal Ds the '9ers dynasty had throughout their pre-cap runs) and Coryell's lucky to be even be NOMINATED to join the legends he created in Madden, Gibbs and Fouts. Disgraceful; Hall of Shame would be more truthful.

You're reaching. Think about what you could have done with the 30 minutes it took you to type that.

Joel
02-06-2016, 06:36 PM
You're reaching. Think about what you could have done with the 30 minutes it took you to type that.
Actually, near the start I left to go get shelves and dinner.

7DnBrnc53
02-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Apparently, it looks like TD didn't get in:

http://in-thinair.com/2016/02/06/2016-hall-of-fame-nfl-honors-day/

I can't believe this. These voters show again why they suck.

tomjonesrocks
02-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Apparently, it looks like TD didn't get in: http://in-thinair.com/2016/02/06/2016-hall-of-fame-nfl-honors-day/ I can't believe this. These voters show again why they suck.

HOF can eat my ass.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Longtime Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison and former coach Tony Dungy were selected Saturday to join the NFL Hall of Fame as members of the 2016 class, Colts owner Jim Irsay told reporters.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14728326/nfl-hall-fame-class-2016-announced

BroncoWave
02-06-2016, 08:38 PM
So gay. Really thought TD was getting in this year.

Nomad
02-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Does this really surprise anyone?

SR
02-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Does this really surprise anyone? no.

Nomad
02-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Out if the 3, I really wanted TD to get the nod, but I had a hunch he wouldn't.....probably never will.

VonDoom
02-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Does this really surprise anyone?

Sadly, no. I really hoped, though

VonDoom
02-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Congrats to Class of '16: Tony Dungy, Brett Favre, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, Dick Stanfel, Ken Stabler, Eddie DeBartolo.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 4m4 minutes ago

Terrell Davis made the cut to 10, a lot of support, a lot of good points made. He's a HOFer and I believe he will be enshrined in coming yrs

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2m2 minutes ago

The five guys who made cut to 10, but didn't make it this yr also would have made quality HOF class-- Coryell, Davis, Jacoby, Lynch, Warner.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

KC Chiefs: 2 Super Bowl appearances, 15 players in HoF for work as Chiefs.

Denver Broncos: 8 SB appearances, 4 HoFers.

Ridiculous.

dogfish
02-06-2016, 09:08 PM
wow, man. . . so effin' pathetic. . . it makes me sick seeing guys like dungy and bettis getting in over TD and atty. . . and while marvin harrison deserves entry, putting him in over TO is a bad joke, and obviously political. . .

chazoe60
02-06-2016, 09:15 PM
**** the HOF. They can eat my ass. Atwater didn't even make the top 10? Go eat a giant shit sandwich you mother****ing ignorant ass dick licking pinheads.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
55 years of playing football for the Denver Broncos, and only 4 HOF players - totally ridiculous

Maybe we all need to do what this article says

More Broncos in the Hall of Fame? It can happen with your help!
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/8/28/4666506/more-broncos-in-the-hall-of-fame-it-can-happen-with-your-help

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Once again, TD and Steve get snubbed. Sick and tired of their achievements being disregarded and ignored; or so it seems. Total BS.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 33m

Not that those that got in aren't deserving. That's why a clear-the-backlog year w/ 17 inductees would help.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 11m

The fact that Dan Reeves isn't in @ProFootballHOF when both other coaches who lost 4 Super Bowls are shows inconsistent selection standards.

Joel
02-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 11m

The fact that Dan Reeves isn't in @ProFootballHOF when both other coaches who lost 4 Super Bowls are shows inconsistent selection standards.
Reeves should've been in ages ago: If he sent a conference championship or SB ring to electors until he ran out it'd be nearly unanimous.

Joel
02-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Hopefully there's no favoritism, because not only did Cam win MVP, Rivera also won Coach of the Year.

MileHighCrew
02-06-2016, 10:55 PM
I think Peyton Manning wins Super Bowl MVP....

Poet
02-06-2016, 11:04 PM
I think Peyton Manning wins Super Bowl MVP....

You do not know how hype I would become.

Poet
02-06-2016, 11:05 PM

I wish he got in for you man.

Poet
02-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 33m

Not that those that got in aren't deserving. That's why a clear-the-backlog year w/ 17 inductees would help.

There needs to be another two or three slots for players AND if it is not so already, coaches and the like should have their own separate dedicated slots. While we might debate which people should be in, everyone can agree that there are a lot of HoF players not getting in.

Poet
02-06-2016, 11:13 PM
No I'm not, you are. You're wrong about Dungy if you think he somehow is better than any other coach that coached Manning. He was the "only coach" to win with Manning.... against the bears and...who was the QB for the other team?

Marty obviously taught more than "marty ball" if he was able to take so many BAD teams (teams that just didn't make it to the playoffs) and made them winners.... over and over again. So if Marty isn't in, then Dungy absolutely doesn't deserve to make it...other than being the "First black coach" every to win a Super Bowl.

So Dungy was the only coach who won a SB with Manning? Not the coach who was favored against the Saints? Who were the favorites in the Seattle Broncos SB?

Marty is analogous to John Fox in that they can take over a bad team, rebuild it, and make them winners. He can also share the mantle of being too conservative to get it done.

Dungy was credited with, and perfected, the cover two, or the Tampa Two. Even if we are to accept your premise that he basically just plagiarized the defense, the perfection and crafting of one of the better defenses we've seen in the league isn't diminished. If it was so easy to do, I'm fairly certain everyone would have done it.

I don't take issue with you disagreeing with me, but your pure incredulity is amusing.

Nomad
02-06-2016, 11:24 PM
:popcorn:

Joel
02-07-2016, 12:01 AM
There needs to be another two or three slots for players AND if it is not so already, coaches and the like should have their own separate dedicated slots. While we might debate which people should be in, everyone can agree that there are a lot of HoF players not getting in.
Coaches should have their own slots, and owners none (sorry, Mr. B, just how I feel.) It's one thing for guys like Halas who played AND coached in addition to being owners, but simply having a few hundred million to spend on a football team's unworthy of eternal honor. The greatest achievement of most of the best owners (at least after the early ones who played on and/or coached their teams) has been hiring GMs and coaches who know football far better, then letting them earn their pay.

De Bartolos greatest accomplishment was spending so much casino money on hired guns that Tagliabue had to create the Eddie De Bartolo Jr. Memorial Salary Cap.

Poet
02-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Coaches should have their own slots, and owners none (sorry, Mr. B, just how I feel.) It's one thing for guys like Halas who played AND coached in addition to being owners, but simply having a few hundred million to spend on a football team's unworthy of eternal honor. The greatest achievement of most of the best owners (at least after the early ones who played on and/or coached their teams) has been hiring GMs and coaches who know football far better, then letting them earn their pay.

De Bartolos greatest accomplishment was spending so much casino money on hired guns that Tagliabue had to create the Eddie De Bartolo Jr. Memorial Salary Cap.

Some of the owners were pivotal to the league, though. The Rooneys, unfortunately, come to mind. Bowlen also kept the Broncos, who matter greatly in NFL history, in Denver. I think they deserve their own category, but you have to be really special to do it.

spikerman
02-07-2016, 12:38 AM
The HoF is a joke. TIA

Dzone
02-07-2016, 12:51 AM
The HoF is a joke. TIA

I agree 1,000 %. Curtis Martin in and the greatest clutch running back in history is out.Wtf???
The hof is a complete joke and those idiots who vote should be ashamed of their utter stupidity.
Another HOF ceremony that I wont be watching.

Dzone
02-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Most of of those guys voting for the hall look like John Clayton. Never strapped on a jockstrap in their entire life. A bunch of ******* pussies

GEM
02-07-2016, 12:59 AM
If consistency matters more than greatness, **** the hof. Curtis Martin, I'm looking at you. The fact that Randy ******* Gradishar is sitting on the outside tells me all I need to know about this rigged pos. Pissed off!

Joel
02-07-2016, 02:41 AM
Some of the owners were pivotal to the league, though. The Rooneys, unfortunately, come to mind. Bowlen also kept the Broncos, who matter greatly in NFL history, in Denver. I think they deserve their own category, but you have to be really special to do it.
Meh the Rooneys. Art Rooneys teams were crap for 40 years until they got the #1 pick to take Bradshaw the same year they wisely chose to accept a $3 million windfall for moving to the far weaker league. His greatest service to the NFL was probably buying Bert Bells Steelers shares so he could become Commissioner and spearhead expansion and the NFLs entry to TV, culminating in The Greatest Game Ever Played shortly before his death.

He may belong as a team FOUNDER in the days when that required a lot of money but ensured DEFICITS rather than massive profits, but future owners are in a very different boat. As for Dan, it boils down to whether the Rooney Rule alone justifies enshrinement, but even that is a legacy from his dad, who's already enshrined. Modell contributed three times as much to the AFCN and NFL (albeit in a very negative way.)

Mr. Bowlen's in a class by himself among owners—but I still don't think ANY (non-founder) owners belong in the Hall.

VonDoom
02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Among many other things in his MMQB column, Peter King talks about why he thinks Terrell Davis will get into the HOF, eventually. King is a HOF voter, so he probably knows better than us:

Terrell Davis is going to make the Hall of Fame. I never thought that before Saturday. But I do now. I don’t know when it will happen, but the events of Saturday convinced me he’ll eventually make Canton. The cases for and against Davis are pretty simple.

For: He had three intergalactic seasons, and he was one of the best playoff performers ever—seven post-season games, seven 100-plus-yard rushing games. That is unmatched in football history. Add a fourth year in which he rushed for 1,117 yards, and you’ve got a superb start to a career, one of the best ever. But at 26 he suffered a knee injury that doomed his career, and he was out of football by 29.

Against: Should a player with three fantastic years and another good one make the Hall? That’s really what the Davis case comes down to—plus the lesser fact that the Broncos of the post-Davis era had three rushers run for 1,500 yards or more in 2000, 2002 and 2003. (Regarding the “Gale Sayers-had-a-short-career-too” argument: Sayers’ career began 51 years ago, and lots of players between 1940 and 1970 had short careers, because of things like military service, low pay for football players and medical science not being able to fix knees. So it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.)

Now, in the room we’re asked to listen to the cases for the candidates, then cull the 15 candidates down to 10 in a secret ballot; after that, we’re told the 10 top vote-getters, and we have to vote for five in another private ballot. I voted for Davis in the cutdown from 15 to 10. I did not vote for him in the cutdown from 10 to five. But I was sorely tempted to do so. I have always felt longevity has to be a part of a modern player’s greatness. I still do. But I thought very hard (and did so in the weeks leading up to the meeting) whether Davis is the kind of outlier who should sway me. In the end, I just thought there were five better candidates, using all considerations, including greatness and influence on the game and longevity. But after hearing the 24-minute debate, I believe the longevity factor will eventually be overcome—2017? 2018?—and he’ll make it.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/07/super-bowl-50-broncos-panthers-peyton-manning-peter-king

Joel
02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Among many other things in his MMQB column, Peter King talks about why he thinks Terrell Davis will get into the HOF, eventually. King is a HOF voter, so he probably knows better than us:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/07/super-bowl-50-broncos-panthers-peyton-manning-peter-king
The problem is there will ALWAYS be five (supposedly) "better" candidates. I'm convinced that's what's stopping it: Not that they don't think Terrell Davis REALLY earned it, but that there are only so many spots, and giving him one of them means denying someone else. Maybe a guy who might not get nominated again. There's a window of opportunity on HoF nominations; once it closes and bright new stars dim the memory of old ones, it gets increasingly hard.

That's why there was a big push for so long to add a Seniors category, and I'm glad they did. But if Davis gets into that group, it's hard to see him get out to the Hall.