PDA

View Full Version : Elway Talks About Re-Signing Brock Osweiler After The Season

Cugel
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
In another thread, Elway had some thoughts about the development of Brock Osweiler, and about his plans for the Broncos to re-sign him for the long term, which Elway indicated in his interview with Big Al & Dmac that he will do after the season: Aside from Elway's praise for Brock some things occurred to me: They really handled the Osweiler situation well. They were lucky in having Manning start for 4 years, but it's given them a rare chance.

There really just isn't any other sensible alternative to Osweiler over the next 2 seasons.

Reality 101 in the NFL is that it's incredibly hard to find a franchise QB. There are almost NO QBs available in the draft. For instance there were only 2 really good QB prospects in this 2015 draft, Mariota and Winston, and to have a chance to draft one, you had to have lost 13 games - their teams were not open to even discussing a trade. Some years there are NO good QB prospects at all.

And signing a FA QB generally means signing some guy who's failed with his original team and is usually a backup.

That only leaves finding a developmental QB in the draft and working with him for a couple of years WITHOUT throwing him to the wolves and making him the starter in his first year. But for most teams that's simply not an option. They can't afford to draft some QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and wait 3 years to start him. The coach and GM will be FIRED long before that if they don't win. They have to win NOW, and that means "you're going in kid, whether you're ready or not." The team needs a savior and that rookie is their only choice.

Can you imagine how utterly ruined Osweiler would be now if they'd had to start him in his rookie year?

After sitting behind Peyton for 4 years he was ready for his chance and played generally well.

It remains to be seen how good he'll ultimately be in the NFL, but he wasn't overwhelmed by his opportunity - he wasn't playing scared. He has the self-confidence needed to succeed.

In short Osweiler is going to be able to reach his potential, whatever that is, because they brought him along slowly and he wasn't forced into games before he was ready, which can shatter the confidence of a young QB (and he was only 21 yrs. old when he was drafted).

It's rare for an NFL team to be able to do that. The Broncos are incredibly lucky.

Even if Osweiler never becomes great, they will have given themselves the best chance for him to be successful simply by the way they developed him.

If it appears he is not going to make it, they will need to draft another QB (maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round) and try and find a veteran to start and develop the rookie.

But, that's how coaches generally get fired. I was watching an old episode of Hard Knocks from the 2007 season recently and it was sad watching KC Coach Herm Edwards agonizing about his QB decision. They had Brodie Croyle as their developmental QB and they were pondering whether to start him or Damon Huard. Of course watching it you know that neither choice is right, that in fact Herm is doomed to get fired after 2008 because he just doesn't have a QB.

If you've got even a possibility of developing a good QB (and Brock has the potential) I think they have no choice but to go with him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Good stuff

Simple Jaded
01-06-2016, 10:07 PM
I think Osweiler should grateful for how the Broncos have developed him over the years, he's handled himself well too and he should reap the benefits this offseason.

tomjonesrocks
01-06-2016, 10:12 PM
I think Osweiler should grateful for how the Broncos have developed him over the years, he's handled himself well too and he should reap the benefits this offseason.

JT wasn't "grateful"...

Simple Jaded
01-06-2016, 10:20 PM
JT wasn't "grateful"...

He got paid, why wouldn't he be?

Joel
01-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Frankly, I was worried about permanently ruining Oz ANYWAY if we threw him in there behind our perennially useless "protection," and those worries only grew once he became the starter. I felt bad for Manning (and to some extent still do) but figured our only short OR long term hope was to hope his quick reads and releases would finally be enough to win a SB by offsetting our horrible protection and impotent run support, and Oz would get a vital reprieve until we had another whole offseason to build a decent line.

Let's not kid ourselves, folks: Elway knew our line's awful and our QB green, which is why he brought in a QB guru to run the team and line guru to run the offense. They knew it just as well, which is why they cleaned house on the line in the offseason: Franklin was (partly) a cap casualty, but Clark and Man Ram are gone because they just plain suck (at least they earned us a late draft pick, more than they're worth COMBINED.)

As I said after preseason: We'll get there, too late for Manning. Just in time for Oz though. Saw a report late Sunday that Thomas may be done with Cleveland, FYI. ;)

TimHippo
01-07-2016, 12:54 AM
Frankly, I was worried about permanently ruining Oz ANYWAY if we threw him in there behind our perennially useless "protection," and those worries only grew once he became the starter. I felt bad for Manning (and to some extent still do) but figured our only short OR long term hope was to hope his quick reads and releases would finally be enough to win a SB by offsetting our horrible protection and impotent run support, and Oz would get a vital reprieve until we had another whole offseason to build a decent line.

Let's not kid ourselves, folks: Elway knew our line's awful and our QB green, which is why he brought in a QB guru to run the team and line guru to run the offense. They knew it just as well, which is why they cleaned house on the line in the offseason: Franklin was (partly) a cap casualty, but Clark and Man Ram are gone because they just plain suck (at least they earned us a late draft pick, more than they're worth COMBINED.)

As I said after preseason: We'll get there, too late for Manning. Just in time for Oz though. Saw a report late Sunday that Thomas may be done with Cleveland, FYI. ;)

But, but he said how much he loved Cleveland. He would never leave.

pnbronco
01-07-2016, 01:15 AM
I wish we still had Clark. He replaced Clady at left the last time he got hurt and did well enough, that was the Super Bowl year. Clark just couldn't adjust to the right. However Harris is a natural right tackle.

Cugel
01-07-2016, 10:14 AM

They just fired the coach and GM in Cleveland who were willing to trade Joe Thomas. No chance whoever replaces them is that stupid.

Elway violated the P.T. Barnum rule: "Never give a sucker an even break." He walked away from the deal and gave them an even break. If you were their GM would you trade away your only great player? No.

They've been firing their crappy OL since Zane Beadles. Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin were 2 other guys they didn't want to keep and pay. But, they replaced them with hot garbage like Michael Schofield. Matt Paradis keeps getting bull-rushed too, which you just can't do at center. It's hard to imagine him developing into a good C, but we'll see.

Evan Mathis is 35 and washed up. He's gone.

Louis Vasquez has had a bad year. I imagine they keep him, but really not a lot of other teams would start him right now.

LT is still a mess even when Ty Sambrailo comes back. Who knows if he's ever going to be any good? He sucked at the beginning of the season, but he was a raw rookie. They were happy with his "development" but they kept saying similar crap about Schofield until he proved he was beyond redemption.

RT is just a giant gaping hole after 3 seasons and will remain so until they go out and find a starting RT in FA. They also have to draft a T, cause Tyler Polumbus isn't a long-term solution. Ryan Harris will be 31 also. He might make a quality backup at RT but no better.

Max Garcia looks like a nice find at LG, but he's not great at pass-protection yet.

So, it's bad or worse all along the line, except for Garcia. That's not a great situation for the future.

Cugel
01-08-2016, 05:29 PM
I wish we still had Clark. He replaced Clady at left the last time he got hurt and did well enough, that was the Super Bowl year. Clark just couldn't adjust to the right. However Harris is a natural right tackle.

Harris has only played RT before this season I think. But Chris Clark was a backup until this season when, after he was traded to the Texans for a 7th round pick, he wound up starting 4 games at LT as a backup filling in for injury. It would be interesting to see him again if the Broncos played the Texans.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2016, 06:00 PM
I think Harris played a lot of LT the year before they drafted Clary.

Valar Morghulis
01-08-2016, 06:19 PM
I think Harris played a lot of LT the year before they drafted Clary.

Shame Clary never got to play, he might have been good.

underrated29
01-08-2016, 07:15 PM
They just fired the coach and GM in Cleveland who were willing to trade Joe Thomas. No chance whoever replaces them is that stupid.

Elway violated the P.T. Barnum rule: "Never give a sucker an even break." He walked away from the deal and gave them an even break. If you were their GM would you trade away your only great player? No.

They've been firing their crappy OL since Zane Beadles. Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin were 2 other guys they didn't want to keep and pay. But, they replaced them with hot garbage like Michael Schofield. Matt Paradis keeps getting bull-rushed too, which you just can't do at center. It's hard to imagine him developing into a good C, but we'll see.

Evan Mathis is 35 and washed up. He's gone.

Louis Vasquez has had a bad year. I imagine they keep him, but really not a lot of other teams would start him right now.

LT is still a mess even when Ty Sambrailo comes back. Who knows if he's ever going to be any good? He sucked at the beginning of the season, but he was a raw rookie. They were happy with his "development" but they kept saying similar crap about Schofield until he proved he was beyond redemption.

RT is just a giant gaping hole after 3 seasons and will remain so until they go out and find a starting RT in FA. They also have to draft a T, cause Tyler Polumbus isn't a long-term solution. Ryan Harris will be 31 also. He might make a quality backup at RT but no better.

Max Garcia looks like a nice find at LG, but he's not great at pass-protection yet.

So, it's bad or worse all along the line, except for Garcia. That's not a great situation for the future.

Nah, we will get a better deal for Joe now. The new FO is going to want to put their stamp on this team. They are going to stockpile as many picks as they can. They have burnt the bridge with Joe Thomas. He will be had for way cheaper now. Maybe a 2nd rd pick. Who knows. They need a QB, RB, WR, DL, LB, S. No one is going to give up anything for Manziel, mid rd pick at best. No one is going to give up anything close to what the deal almost was. The FO will need lots and lots of picks. A mid rdr for Manziel isnt going to cut it.

Disgruntled players and LR is NOT going to be what the new regime needs or wants. If we want Joe T we will get a better bargain for him. Let the deals come to you. Elway is the master at this.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Shame Clary never got to play, he might have been good.

Shit. Ducking autocorrect.

Zweems56
01-08-2016, 07:34 PM

Except they signed the Money Ball guy. You really think THAT guy is going to be okay with a 31 year old LT with a 10 mil/yr cap hit? If anything, they're more likely to trade him, because they have an analytics guy that's going to be managing the team.

I Eat Staples
01-08-2016, 08:05 PM
If you were their GM would you trade away your only great player? No.

Completely disagree, I would absolutely trade my only great player. It would be the first thing I'd do.

If you aren't going to win a Superbowl WITH him, trade him for picks who will be in their prime by the time you're ready to compete. This is rebuilding 101, you trade away your few valuable assets for future assets.

BroncoWave
01-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Completely disagree, I would absolutely trade my only great player. It would be the first thing I'd do.

If you aren't going to win a Superbowl WITH him, trade him for picks who will be in their prime by the time you're ready to compete. This is rebuilding 101, you trade away your few valuable assets for future assets.

Just so long as these moves get the NFL better ratings, right? ;)

Simple Jaded
01-09-2016, 01:36 PM

So 31 teams should trade their greatest player every year?

Hopefully Rebuilding 201 starts getting a little more nuanced.

BroncoWave
01-09-2016, 01:40 PM

Eh, I don't think that's what he was saying at all. 31 teams aren't undergoing a total rebuild every year like the Browns currently face.

Simple Jaded
01-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Eh, I don't think that's what he was saying at all. 31 teams aren't undergoing a total rebuild every year like the Browns currently face.

No, but he is generalizing a little too much, like I said it should be a little more nuanced than just dumping asset for asset.

Especially in a league where Worst-to-First is legitimately attainable.

underrated29
01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Like I said in my post the browns new regime will want to stockpile picks. They have major needs all over the place. They will want to put their stamp on the team and get their players. If they can turn Joe T into 2 players or a high round pick they will.

The amount to get him will be less than what it was this season.

I Eat Staples
01-09-2016, 02:47 PM

There's more than 1 contender every year. Sure, only one team WINS the superbowl, but a reasonable front office understands whether or not they have a legitimate shot at competing. The Browns haven't had a legitimate shot since...well hell I don't even remember it's been so long.

If you're the Browns, would you rather Joe Thomas play out his career and retire as a Brown while having no chance to compete, or trade him for potentially multiple 1st rounders that can net you the franchise QB you desperately need plus an impact player somewhere else that will play for your team for the next 10+ years?

Simple Jaded
01-09-2016, 11:04 PM
I think the Broncos OL is all the evidence I need to prove why you'd rather have Joe Thomas than the 1st round prospect. And show me a team worth building around that had the kind of OL that the Browns would have if they lost Thomas and Mack.

They're not getting multiple No1's for Thomas, btw, that's just crazy talk.

Cugel
01-10-2016, 01:29 AM

I doubt you are right, but I certainly hope so, and that the Broncos go back and re-do the trade they refused before.

If they are that dumb, then fine, whatever rookie QB they get next year will get crushed right over LT like Broncos QBs have this season. That oughta work out great for them.

Cugel
01-10-2016, 01:33 AM
I think the Broncos OL is all the evidence I need to prove why you'd rather have Joe Thomas than the 1st round prospect. And show me a team worth building around that had the kind of OL that the Browns would have if they lost Thomas and Mack.

They're not getting multiple No1's for Thomas, btw, that's just crazy talk.

You're right on both points. The Broncos #1 pick will probably be in the 20's. Even with Manning sucking most of this year, and Osweiler coming in never having started an NFL game, the Broncos won 12 games and beat the Bengals and Patriots.

Win 10 games next season with Osweiler and you're picking in the 20's. There's no chance whatever of getting a great starting LT at that spot. LT is the hardest position to draft outside of QB and a prospect like Joe Thomas would go in the top 5 in any year, and probably in the top 3 - as he actually did.

And nobody is offering 2 first round picks. The Broncos offered a 2nd round pick this year and a 1st rounder next year, and the Browns offered a 5th round pick coming back this year. Elway didn't do the deal because he wanted a 3rd round pick this year, not a 5th, which was unbelievably short sighted of him.

The difference between a 3rd and 5th round pick isn't that great frankly and it would be the top of the round (because it's Cleveland) in either case.