PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Hillman named AFC offensive player of the week

VonDoom
01-06-2016, 10:41 AM
When Ronnie Hillman raced around the right end in the fourth quarter last Sunday, it became notable for several reasons. It secured the Broncos fifth straight AFC West title, the conference’s top playoff seed and individual recognition.

Hillman won AFC offensive player of the week honors after rushing for a season-high 117 yards on 15 carries and a 23-yard touchdown.

“It was just a call that I just so happened to hit, and it was a perfect call for what they were doing. They shifted the line to the left and we ran right, and we scored,” Hillman said. “It felt good to know that we went up, now we had to rely on the defense and they did their thing obviously like they do week in and week out, and we came up with the win.”

Hillman emerged in training camp as a force then took over the starting job following injuries to C.J. Anderson. The pair has spent the second half of the season platooning. Hillman leads the Broncos with 863 yards rushing on seven touchdowns, followed by Anderson’s 720 and five scores.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/06/broncos-ronnie-hillman-wins-afc-offensive-player-of-week-honors/37059/

I pray that the running game can be this good in the playoffs. Congrats, Ronnie!

TXBRONC
01-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Well deserved.

No doubt if the running game looks this good in the playoffs they well be tough to beat.

OrangeFanatic
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Hillman, just like Peyton, could both excel with a decent to above average O line.

Joel
01-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Hillman, just like Peyton, could both excel with a decent to above average O line.
Interesting comparison: With even a decent line, Mannings audible to Hillmans run behind Ramirez on 3rd and 7 at the 2:00 Warning could've gotten us to the AFCCG in 2012. I couldn't help thinking of that when Manning handed off to CJ behind Garcia on 3rd and 7 just inside the 2:00 Warning Sunday—except THAT time it gained 12 yds, clinched the division, a bye and homefield, after which we knelt down twice and went home.

I STILL think Hillman's just a scatback, but Kubiak and Dennisons ZBS can and consistently has made guys like that perform a lot better than they really are. If he could stay healthy, I'd rather ride CJ like we rode Terrell Davis, but "if" is a small word with a big meaning. And with that in mind, it's nice to have a second option like Hillman (and I also still think Thompson's a good third option, though more like Anderson: Hillman's the only back LIKE Hillman we've got.)

At any rate, congrats to Hillman, who earned it with the winning score and several other solid runs last week. He's even breaking a few tackles now and fighting for yards when hit at or behind the line (which still happens far too often.) And fumbling a lot less than in 2013.

TXBRONC
01-07-2016, 07:53 AM

I'm not sure a better line is going to help Manning that much.

Davii
01-07-2016, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure a better line is going to help Manning that much.

I don't see any possible way it couldn't