PDA

View Full Version : Should Eric Weddle Be A Free Agent Target In 2016?

OrangeHoof
01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I've always liked Weddle's hustle and the issue with his daughter has pretty much insured the Chargers won't be re-signing him. Is he too much like Ward? Ward's last two years are not guaranteed and cost $4.5 million each. Can Weddle fit at the other safety spot? He played college ball at Utah so is accustomed to playing at altitude. The three-time Pro Bowler's base salary the past four years is $5-$7.5/mil per season and just turned 31. I'll hang up and listen.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but Weddle is listed as a FS. Ward is the SS, while Stewart is the FS. Many say that nowadays the positions are the same. I've always thought the SS would lean more toward run support and was similar to a LB, while the FS was more like a CB and stayed in coverage.

TXBRONC
01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
I don't see why Denver would need to do that. Denver has good tandem with Stewart and Ward.

Zweems56
01-06-2016, 09:34 AM
No. We need to focus on signing our own guys. We have a strong young core here on defense. There's no need to miss out on Wolfe or Malik for Weddle. I love Weddle... I really do... That's a pipe dream, though.

Buff
01-06-2016, 09:52 AM
I think Stewart probably complements Ward better than Weddle would, because both Weddle and Ward have similar risk-taking, run stuffing, styles. But I like Weddle, and think there is always a place for really intelligent and tough defenders like him.

NightTerror218
01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Focus on our guys first....they have led to best defense in NFL.

underrated29
01-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Yes of course, but both our safeties are under contract for the next few years so there is no need.

Buff
01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes of course, but both our safeties are under contract for the next few years so there is no need.

Stewart is under contract for one more year. Ward for two more years.

VonDoom
01-06-2016, 10:39 AM
No. We need to focus on signing our own guys. We have a strong young core here on defense. There's no need to miss out on Wolfe or Malik for Weddle. I love Weddle... I really do... That's a pipe dream, though.

Agreed. Love Weddle, and if we didn't have Stewart (like, say, if Rahim Moore was still here), I would be all over it. But we have bigger priorities right now.

SR
01-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I have said this before but at this point in Weddle's career I would rather have Stewart.

DenBronx
01-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Before Ward and Stewart I would have said hell yeah but we don't need him now. I've always liked Weddle but he would cost alot more and we are going to need every penny going forward.

I'd really like us to still go after Joe Thomas.

chazoe60
01-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Weddle will be a Patriot. He's the exact kind of guy BB loves to bring in. My other prediction is that when Christian McCaffery becomes draft eligible he'll be a Patriot also. Makes me sick to think of that but it just makes too much sense.

LTC Pain
01-06-2016, 12:08 PM
No to Weddle for reasons stated by others above. But, I think we need to draft a Safety in April for depth. Not much behind Ward and Stewart on the roster.

VonDoom
01-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Weddle will be a Patriot. He's the exact kind of guy BB loves to bring in. My other prediction is that when Christian McCaffery becomes draft eligible he'll be a Patriot also. Makes me sick to think of that but it just makes too much sense.

I hope you're wrong, on both counts.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 12:27 PM

I can see the weddle thing, but h ow you figure the McCaffrey one? Doesn't Denver have a tendency to bring in the Stanford players?

chazoe60
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I can see the weddle thing, but h ow you figure the McCaffrey one? Doesn't Denver have a tendency to bring in the Stanford players?

I just see McCaffery as the type of guy BB loves.

Shazam!
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Can he play on the OLine?

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
I just see McCaffery as the type of guy BB loves.

Oh.... yeah.. I can see that. I guess I was just thinking that I can see the hood being able to sign Weddle, but having the chance to draft McCaffrey is a different story.

TXBRONC
01-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Stewart had a very good season and just look what he did in the last game he came up huge for the Broncos.

Slick
01-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Weddle is a luxury that Denver won't be able to afford. Priority will be on Denver's own free agents, keeping the defense as intact as they can, re-signing Brock, then trying to fix the O line. Weddle would fall after all of that happens.

tomjonesrocks
01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Weddle seems like the perfect kind of guy that will play for a song in NE for a chance at a SB.

Timmy!
01-06-2016, 05:13 PM
No.

OrangeHoof
01-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Why are the Patriots the only team that can woo players this way? I think Ware came to Denver looking for a Super Bowl. Others could too.