PDA

View Full Version : AFC Team Most Likely to be one-and-done:Denver Broncos

Slick
01-04-2016, 02:38 PM
The easier answer would be the Kansas City Chiefs, who started the season at 1-5, but it's hard to overlook the 10-game win streak that secured the fifth seed, even though only two of those 10 wins came against fellow playoff teams. So if not the Chiefs, then their opponent, the Houston Texans, right? (If for no other reason than the simple fact that they got here by way of the lowly AFC South, and even that was a challenge.) Not in this case. Traditionally, one-and-done is reserved for a team that is actually playing in the opening round of the playoffs -- rather than watching from home after earning a bye and the No. 1 overall seed in the conference field -- but when I look at the Broncos' on-field production and situation as a whole, it paints a different picture.

First off, the Broncos lack an overall identity. They hired Gary Kubiak to run his style of offense, but it was clear from Day 1 that scheme wasn't going to gel with the aging Peyton Manning. Just when they were finally turning over the offensive reins to the Manning style we have grown accustomed to, he goes down with a foot injury and the team reverts back to Kubiak's system with Brock Osweiler under center. At one point, Denver looked like a team that could win big with a dominant defense, but the Broncos were missing the other part of the equation: a solid rushing attack.

Secondly, and most importantly, the Broncos are the worst team in the 12-team playoff field in a stat that I put a lot of weight in: toxic differential. In simple terms, the stat combines the team's ability to earn and stop explosion plays while also creating takeaways and limiting turnovers. The Broncos are one of just three teams to qualify for the playoffs with a negative toxic at -4 -- 39 points behind the playoff-leading Bengals at +35. This will haunt Denver, no matter who the opponent is in the Divisional Round.

Rest of the article here
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617072/article/patriots-cardinals-playoff-favorites-fear-the-steelers-seahawks

Brian Billick doesn't like Denver's chances.

VonDoom
01-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Expect to see more of this kind of article in the next few weeks. They were the same articles that were written last year, and they proved correct. In both 2012 and 2014, only one team with the bye lost their first game - it was us both times (I believe it happened to the Falcons in 2013, against a team everyone thought was better than them anyway, the 49ers). Until we prove otherwise, this is how we will be treated in the media.

Northman
01-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Hard to argue with him if not more for past history. The team has been really jeckyl and hyde this year. But.... The Pats are the same way, as pointed out in the article Houston and KC really havent been battle tested so i think both are due for a letdown. Cincy would probably be the strongest team but that only would apply if Dalton is back in the lineup. The one thing that Billick hasnt really looked at or considered though is the Broncos have been down and come back against some really good teams. The defense is good enough to get the job done, the question will be can they stay focused enough to get it done.

weazel
01-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Is he wrong?

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 02:52 PM
If only we had a good defense and a quality quarterback like Trent Dilfer.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Is he wrong?

No, we are 5-4 in the last 9 games.

Slick
Is he wrong?

He's on point when he says the Broncos lack an identity.

What are they on offense? Peyton awkwardly trying to run Kubiak's offense? Peyton trying to run a hybrid of Gary's and his offense? Brock running Gary's offense? Peyton taking over the offense?

You would have hoped by now that they would have figured this out. I don't think this is going to end well.

TXBRONC
Is he wrong?

I think there is a very good chance he will be proven wrong.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 02:58 PM
No, we are 5-4 in the last 9 games.

We are also 5-2 in our last 7, including wins against the top 2 AFC teams, not including us.

LawDog
01-04-2016, 03:01 PM
There are four teams in the AFC that will have a playoff game before the Broncos take the field again. Two of those will be "one and done". Is Billick really saying that all four of those teams are more likely to win a first game than Denver will? So, he is actually saying that both of the AFC wildcard games are at 50-50 of who will win? The AFC most likely to be one and done has to be Houston, no other team even comes close. Not saying Denver will sail cleanly into the Superbowl, but this analysis by Billick is pretty weak sauce.

Timmy!
01-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Is he wrong?

Literally, yes because two AFC teams will already be one and done before the Broncos even take the field. That said I think the conference is anybodys to take. The Broncos are "battle tested" though. They played 7 games against playoff teams and went 5-2, including 3 14 point come backs. We have a good a chance as anybody, and we're at home.

Also, Billick is practically never right about anything, so this is a good sign.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2016, 03:09 PM
There are four teams in the AFC that will have a playoff game before the Broncos take the field again. Two of those will be "one and done". Is Billick really saying that all four of those teams are more likely to win a first game than Denver will? So, he is actually saying that both of the AFC wildcard games are at 50-50 of who will win? The AFC most likely to be one and done has to be Houston, no other team even comes close. Not saying Denver will sail cleanly into the Superbowl, but this analysis by Billick is pretty weak sauce.

Literally, yes because two AFC teams will already be one and done before the Broncos even take the field. That said I think the conference is anybodys to take. The Broncos are "battle tested" though. They played 7 games against playoff teams and went 5-2, including 3 14 point come backs. We have a good a chance as anybody, and we're at home.

Also, Billick is practically never right about anything, so this is a good sign.

I didn't read the article, but I don't think Billick considers wildcard games as actual "playoff" games. Those are played to get into his version of the playoffs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2016, 03:12 PM

You didn't have go depants me in front of the whole class.

TimHippo
01-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Rest of the article here
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617072/article/patriots-cardinals-playoff-favorites-fear-the-steelers-seahawks

Brian Billick doesn't like Denver's chances.

Not gonna even read.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Not gonna even read.

I didn't even read this.

Slick
01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Not gonna even read.

I don't blame you. There aren't any 3 cone stats in the article.

Slick
01-04-2016, 03:20 PM
I didn't read the article, but I don't think Billick considers wildcard games as actual "playoff" games. Those are played to get into his version of the playoffs.

He's basically saying he likes any of the 4 teams playing in the wildcard round more than he does Denver. He thinks any of them have a better shot at actually winning a game whereas Denver, not so much.

pulse
01-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Horseshit. The team most likely to be one-and-done is the Bengals. They haven't won a playoff game since 1990. They have a ridiculous monkey to get off their back and no other coaching staff has more pressure to win a game. If they lose, holy shit...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2016, 03:23 PM
I didn't even read this.

Liar liar panties on fire.

EastCoastBronco
01-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Billick is a jackwagon.
It's going to be us and New England in the AFC Championship.
Then we'll show Tom and Bill what fear really is.

***Drops Mic***

D1g1tal j1m
01-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I disagree with his assessment due to the use of "toxic differential" as his supporting reason.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2016, 03:29 PM
I disagree with his assessment due to the use of "toxic differential" as his supporting reason.

Do you feel as though he is a 'toxic differential '?

tomjonesrocks
01-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Billick isn't a guy I put a lot of stock in but if I'm writing an article for national consumption I wouldn't rate Denver's chances all that high.

Home field is huge - but with so many narrow wins and large periods of looking awful in nearly every game it's hard to pick this team to make much of a run - even considering the defensive ranking.

But who knows. Wins against the Ravens and Colts were almost gimmes on paper and Denver managed to lose those - odd things happen in the playoffs.

chazoe60
01-04-2016, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if we won the SB and I wouldn't be shocked if we lost our first playoff game. We are an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The only thing that would shock me at this point is if we blew someone out, that's just not our style. We prefer giving our fans heart attacks.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 03:52 PM

From reading that, he thinks we would lose to Cincy if we played head to head. Oh wait.

Poet
01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
I don't blame you. There aren't any 3 cone stats in the article.

My three ice cream-cone time is legendary.

In all seriousness, Lawdog pretty much crushed the analysis of Bill.

Rick
01-04-2016, 04:34 PM
The one thing that we need to stop doing, and if we do we will be just fine, is stop being ******* stupid.

Whether it is dumb ass penalties that keep drives alive or stall our own drives, or its turning the ******* ball over, we are killing ourselves we just need to stop being stupid.

Mike
01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
The one thing that we need to stop doing, and if we do we will be just fine, is stop being ******* stupid.

Whether it is dumb ass penalties that keep drives alive or stall our own drives, or its turning the ******* ball over, we are killing ourselves we just need to stop being stupid.

Not our style.

Cugel
01-04-2016, 04:58 PM
The Broncos can't be one and done sooner than the KC Chiefs or the Texans, because those teams play each other and one of them has to lose!

So, either the Texans win and the Bengals win and the Texans come here to Denver. Or the Chiefs and Bengals win and the Chiefs come here, or both the Bengals and Steelers win and the Steelers come here.

I'd say the matchup of Broncos v. Chiefs or Broncos v. Texans favors the Broncos.

The matchup of Broncos v. Steelers probably favors the Broncos too at home. The defense will be healthier, the OL will be healed up a bit and so will Manning and Brock.

Secondly, and most importantly, the Broncos are the worst team in the 12-team playoff field in a stat that I put a lot of weight in: toxic differential. In simple terms, the stat combines the team's ability to earn and stop explosion plays while also creating takeaways and limiting turnovers. The Broncos are one of just three teams to qualify for the playoffs with a negative toxic at -4 -- 39 points behind the playoff-leading Bengals at +35. This will haunt Denver, no matter who the opponent is in the Divisional Round.

And yet the Broncos beat both the other top AFC teams, the Patriots and Bengals, at home where they will be playing all their games until the SB.

This "toxic differential" sounds a lot like the "give-away - take-away" ratio, with the addition of big plays (20+ 40+ allowed). Well I can't remember many big plays down the field the Broncos defense has surrendered outside of Talib's covering the wrong receiver in this last game. Mostly when teams have scored TDs on them it's been the normal < 20 yard variety.

(I think Adrian Peterson scored on a long rushing TD too, perhaps you can remember more).

The Broncos are horrible for a top seed in giveaway takeaway because of all the turnovers they have committed, 5 in the game against the Chargers alone. But none of those was on Manning and only 1 on Brock really. The rest were bumbles by the the WRs, and uncharacteristic fumbles by the running backs.

Well, either they turn the ball over in the playoffs or they don't. If they do they will lose for sure. If not they can win against anybody.

The one thing you can say about this year's Broncos is that they always play up-down to the opposition. They haven't blown anybody out, and they've lost to really BAD teams, but they've also beaten 4 of the top playoff teams - Vikings and Packers, Patriots and Bengals. It's like they are unable to concentrate properly on beating up on bad teams. Well, there are no more bad teams left, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't see the Broncos looking past any team now, certainly not the Chiefs who humiliated them or the Steelers who beat them on the road and scored 34 points on their defense.

TXBRONC
01-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Billick isn't a guy I put a lot of stock in but if I'm writing an article for national consumption I wouldn't rate Denver's chances all that high.

Home field is huge - but with so many narrow wins and large periods of looking awful in nearly every game it's hard to pick this team to make much of a run - even considering the defensive ranking.

But who knows. Wins against the Ravens and Colts were almost gimmes on paper and Denver managed to lose those - odd things happen in the playoffs.

If Denver were narrowly winning games against bad teams and then losing to good teams then I would be concerned. Style points are meaningless.

weazel
01-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Either way... we get to watch our team in a playoff game!

BroncoJoe
01-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Either way... we get to watch our team in a playoff game!

I was kind of hoping we would lose because I hate bye weeks.

Canmore
01-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Toxic differential??? The only thing Billick ever liked about Denver was Shannon Sharpe. We're going to be fine.

BigDaddyBronco
01-04-2016, 06:23 PM
It's time for another Revenge Tour like in 1997.

Pittsburgh beats Cincy
KC beat Houston
We beat Pittsburgh - Revenge #1
KC beats NE
We beat KC - Revenge #2
We go to the Super Bowl and beat Seattle - Revenge #3

Manning can retire, we can rebuild the OLine and move into the Oz era.

DenBronx
01-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Nothing the Broncos have done has led me to believe otherwise. I have zero faith in our offense. We would be very lucky just to get to the next round.

LawDog
01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Nothing the Broncos have done has led me to believe otherwise. I have zero faith in our offense. We would be very lucky just to get to the next round.

The Eeyore thread is just down that way, around the corner to the left...

TXBRONC
01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I was kind of hoping we would lose because I hate bye weeks.

I don't like the bye week but if the bye helps Denver win in the divisional round I can live with it.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 06:47 PM
#werescrewed

DenBronx
01-04-2016, 07:02 PM

The Eeyore thread is just down that way, around the corner to the left...

I hate being a debbie downer but we don't look a team on fire and that's what you need heading into the playoffs. Our OL is trash, our WRs drop everything, both of our QBs are turnover machines, our run game is hot cold hot cold and can't stay consistent.

TXBRONC
01-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I hate being a debbie downer but we don't look a team on fire and that's what you need heading into the playoffs. Our OL is trash, our WRs drop everything, both of our QBs are turnover machines, our run game is hot cold hot cold and can't stay consistent.

Did the Ravens look like a team on fire heading into the playoffs three years ago?

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 07:12 PM

So which team doesn't have flaws?

TXBRONC
Toxic differential??? The only thing Billick ever liked about Denver was Shannon Sharpe. We're going to be fine.

What is toxic differential?

DenBronx

Did the Ravens look like a team on fire heading into the playoffs three years ago?

The Ravens were mentally and physically tougher than us 3 years ago.

DenBronx
01-04-2016, 07:13 PM

So which team doesn't have flaws?

Every team has flaws but Pitt and Seattle are the two hottest teams. Both of those teams would steam roll us.

wayninja
01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
I think dicklick has a point when he says that it's more likely that 4 teams make it from the wildcard round to the divisional round than the Broncos making it to the conference championship. Because, math.

wayninja
01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
What is toxic differential?

You wouldn't understand. It's a secret.

DenBronx
01-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Lol sorry guys...the truth hurts. We are an average team that got lucky to have the #1 seed.

TXBRONC
01-04-2016, 07:16 PM

I don't disagree, but I thought you taking about a team going into playoffs hot and that was something the Ravens were not. It would be difficult to argue that Denver is not a physically and mentally tough team this year.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Every team has flaws but Pitt and Seattle are the two hottest teams. Both of those teams would steam roll us.

Those are 2 teams and 1 of them we wouldn't see until the playoffs. You sound like we are the worst team in the playoffs.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Lol sorry guys...the truth hurts. We are an average team that got lucky to have the #1 seed.

We have the #1 defense in the NFL.

Maybe we will luck our way into a super bowl too

tomjonesrocks
01-04-2016, 07:21 PM

I don't think the wins vs the Pats and Bengals were "lucky".

But I think this is a deeply flawed team that has a piss-poor killer instinct and is prone to monster mistakes they won't get away with in the playoffs.

Honestly this has been one of the LEAST fun teams to watch that I can remember. Every game is just complete stress and agony.

At least with the McD years you didn't have expectations.

TXBRONC
01-04-2016, 07:21 PM

I don't think so Den. Denver faced several teams that in the playoffs this year and beat them. Average teams don't beat playoff bound teams and they sure hell end up the number one seed with kind of schedule that Broncos faced this year.

Cugel
01-04-2016, 07:56 PM

No, "momentum" heading into the playoffs is worthless as an indicator of anything.

3 out of the last 5 SB winning teams were 10-6 or 9-7 in the regular season and none of them were considered more than afterthoughts heading into the playoffs.

I remember how terrible the Ravens were playing down the stretch, losing 3 out of 4 and getting blown out at home by the Broncos. I was shocked they even survived their first playoff game against the Colts, but I figured that was just Luck's inexperience.

And in 2011, the Giants staggered down the stretch and had to beat the Cowboys in their last game just to get to 9-7 and win their division, yet ended up in the Super Bowl against one of the top 10 offenses of all time - and beat them just like they had in 2007.

You can't predict what will happen in the playoffs just by what happened in the regular season.

Cugel
01-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I don't think so Den. Denver faced several teams that in the playoffs this year and beat them. Average teams don't beat playoff bound teams and they sure hell end up the number one seed with kind of schedule that Broncos faced this year.

Broncos only got the #1 seed by beating the 12-4 Patriots and 12-4 Bengals and having the head to head tie-breaker against both of them. That's called being better, not some fluky tie-breaker like "points against common opponents" or something that would make sense only to a BCS computer.

DenBronx
01-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Forgive me everyone for not having my orange blinders on.

LawDog
01-04-2016, 08:19 PM

There are lots of positives to hang our hats on going into the playoffs. The 5 wins against playoff teams is one. The fact that Denver is one of two teams in the league who swept their non-conference opponents is another - the other team was the Panthers and they played the sad-sack AFC South with the stellar Houston Texans stumbling into the post-season, we played the AFC North with two playoff entrants. #1 Defense in the league.

GEM
01-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I love you, Slick....but get this negative bullshit the **** up outta here! We are #1 with all those bitches coming to Denver to get an ass kicking. It's a new season and we are going to rock this shit!

Timmy!
01-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Both those teams laid gigantic eggs just a week ago. Lol.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 08:36 PM

:rolleyes:

Timmy!
01-04-2016, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes:

Say we suck and like it!!!

Slick
01-04-2016, 08:54 PM
He's on point when he says the Broncos lack an identity.

What are they on offense? Peyton awkwardly trying to run Kubiak's offense? Peyton trying to run a hybrid of Gary's and his offense? Brock running Gary's offense? Peyton taking over the offense?

You would have hoped by now that they would have figured this out. I don't think this is going to end well.

Ugly truths that no one wants to touch.

BroncoWave
01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Ugly truths that no one wants to touch.

Dude, no one is saying the Broncos are world-beaters, but who else in the AFC is dominating? Other than KC, every team in the AFC has had bad losses recently. Are we the best 1 seed ever? No. But we have as good a chance as anyone else in a deeply flawed AFC, so there is nothing wrong with people focusing on the positive of that.

But hey, if you get off on focusing on how flawed we are and how little chance we have, more power to you!

Davii
01-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Dude, no one is saying the Broncos are world-beaters, but who else in the AFC is dominating? Other than KC, every team in the AFC has had bad losses recently. Are we the best 1 seed ever? No. But we have as good a chance as anyone else in a deeply flawed AFC, so there is nothing wrong with people focusing on the positive of that.

But hey, if you get off on focusing on how flawed we are and how little chance we have, more power to you!

We've beaten the Pats, Bengals, and Chiefs and I'm certain if we get another shot at the Chiefs or Steelers in Denver we can smash them. We have the best defense in the NFL, that cannot be overstated.

Simple Jaded
01-04-2016, 09:43 PM
The Broncos identify is their defense, they've been trying to tell fans that for 9 months now.

Slick
01-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Dude.

Davii
01-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Dude.

DUDE! Dude?

Timmy!
01-04-2016, 09:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C9We13p3Y1Q/UdtAfDtDKtI/AAAAAAAARac/wIYn2FOQKwA/s1600/tdg7.gif

Slick
01-04-2016, 09:55 PM
I get off being honest with myself. Finding out that *NE lost before they even took the field was the worst thing that could have ever happened to this team.

Dzone
01-04-2016, 09:56 PM
DUDE! Dude?

lol A word that is ambiguously disrespectful and covertly condescending.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I get off being honest with myself. Finding out that *NE lost before they even took the field was the worst thing that could have ever happened to this team.

How so?

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:03 PM

Bro!

BroncoWave
01-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Bro!

Brah.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Brah.

Bruh

BroncoWave
01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Bruh

Hermano

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Hermano

Timmy!
01-04-2016, 10:31 PM
How so?

Slick dislikes 18.....and 1 seeds? :heh:

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Slick dislikes 18.....and 1 seeds? :heh:

He likes my seeds

Davii
01-04-2016, 10:40 PM
He likes my seeds

Aren't those two seeds?

Dapper Dan
01-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Aren't those two seeds?

Dude!

Simple Jaded
01-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Word Of The Day toilet paper?

Northman
01-05-2016, 06:50 AM

You mean the team that we destroyed just 3 weeks earlier in Baltimore? The same team that needed a miracle to even tie the game in regulation? No, the Ravens caught some luck and ran with it but they were certainly beatable.

Northman
01-05-2016, 06:54 AM

Guess we will see you again in April then. Nice talking to ya.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Den I don't think I have orange blinders on. I disagree with you that Denver is an average team not with schedule they just got done playing. They got the number one seed by beating good teams. Being the number one seed doesn't assure them a trip to the Super Bowl but they're road got a little easier.

Northman
01-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Denver has shown they can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Panthers lost to a really bad Atlanta team, Pats lost to the Eagles and Dolphins. If Denver sucks than what does that make Cincy and NE who also lost to us? The reality is ANYONE can make a run in the playoffs and Denver is one of those teams.

VonDoom
01-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Denver has shown they can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Panthers lost to a really bad Atlanta team, Pats lost to the Eagles and Dolphins. If Denver sucks than what does that make Cincy and NE who also lost to us? The reality is ANYONE can make a run in the playoffs and Denver is one of those teams.

This is spot on. I do think the NFC is more haves and have nots, where the AFC is pretty wide open. Nothing would surprise me at this point - as you said, we can beat the best but lose to anyone. Every team (particularly in the AFC) has flaws. We tend to be myopic about our team, because we scrutinize everything they do on a daily basis. But other teams have issues as well and nothing is guaranteed.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Brah.

That's what women wear to cover their boobs dufuss. :tsk:

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Bro!

So if you called someone Bro Dude would that be even more condescending?

weazel
01-05-2016, 12:31 PM

...and have

Ravage!!!
01-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I honestly don't see Denver as being a 'good' team. I think we are ok, but our lack of offensive scoring is troubling.

BUT..t hat being said..... there isn't an AFC team that could/will beat the top three teams in the NFC. Carolina, AZ, and Seattle (no particular order) will just crush any of us.

Northman
01-05-2016, 12:50 PM
I honestly don't see Denver as being a 'good' team. I think we are ok, but our lack of offensive scoring is troubling.

BUT..t hat being said..... there isn't an AFC team that could/will beat the top three teams in the NFC. Carolina, AZ, and Seattle (no particular order) will just crush any of us.

Im really not even sure of that to be honest. Carolina is probably the most healthy and complete team but Arizona and Seattle have some issues. Seattle had struggled all year and destroyed the Cardinals in their own building. I think the pool is wide open this year.

Slick
01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Weird shit happens in the playoffs. We'll just have to hope that Denver's defense can stay tough and force some turnovers and that the old man doesn't play like he did earlier in the year.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
...and have

The Steelers haven't steam rolled the Broncos in a decade. Denver has won two of last three verses the Steelers and the last loss to the Steeler was by a touchdown.

Ravage!!!
01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
The Steelers haven't steam rolled the Broncos in a decade. Denver has won two of last three verses the Steelers and the last loss to the Steeler was by a touchdown.

Yeah.. but when watching that game, it sure felt like they were steam rollin us the way we couldn't stop their passing game. I know the score just showed a TD difference, but damn...it felt like much more.

BroncoJoe
01-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Honestly, I fear the Panthers more than any other NFC team. Those guys play loose, have fun and are 100% full of confidence.

Cam will be the MVP too.

Northman
01-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Ben had his way with us in the second half but he was also forced to pass a lot because we had gotten out to a nice lead. The reality of that game is if we could have at least gotten a TD and a FG it would of done wonders for us. But going scoreless like we did in the second half is what killed us.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah.. but when watching that game, it sure felt like they were steam rollin us the way we couldn't stop their passing game. I know the score just showed a TD difference, but damn...it felt like much more.

Denver didn't was stymied in the second half which is what people will remember. Roethlisberger was forced to throw to throw the ball. A veteran quarterback at home it's not surprise they came back and won it.

Ravage!!!
01-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Aarrrghhh... CRAP... I had forgotten how we just completely shut down in the 2nd half...... FRAK that pissed me off.

weazel
01-05-2016, 01:41 PM

correct but they steamrolled us in the second half of the last game. I would feel alot better if it would have been the other way around

VonDoom
01-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Maybe so, but if we're talking about Denver vs any of those teams in three weeks, I will be elated, because it means we got there. I'm not worried about any NFC team until we need to be.

VonDoom
01-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Ben had his way with us in the second half but he was also forced to pass a lot because we had gotten out to a nice lead. The reality of that game is if we could have at least gotten a TD and a FG it would of done wonders for us. But going scoreless like we did in the second half is what killed us.

We let them off the hook in that game. I would certainly fear them more than either of the other teams we could play in the divisional round, but I'm not saying we can't beat them. We should have won that first game, and that was our defense's worst game of the year. Multiple players already said they wanted another shot at that team in the playoffs, to prove they can stop them and because they were pissed about that dirty hit on Bruton. We will be ready if we have to play them and it will be in Denver this time.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 02:20 PM
We let them off the hook in that game. I would certainly fear them more than either of the other teams we could play in the divisional round, but I'm not saying we can't beat them. We should have won that first game, and that was our defense's worst game of the year. Multiple players already said they wanted another shot at that team in the playoffs, to prove they can stop them and because they were pissed about that dirty hit on Bruton. We will be ready if we have to play them and it will be in Denver this time.

Denver is capable of beating every team they could possibly face in the conference playoffs.

Poet
01-05-2016, 02:22 PM
With McCarron at the helm it's Cincinnati.

Pittsburgh will be a tough match for you guys. They know that they can just go to Brown, and you don't have much recourse. But whoever your QB is gets to take a shot against the Steelers 30th ranked pass defense with a Demaryius Thomas who is heating up.

I would lean toward Denver. At the end of the day homefield advantage is a big deal.

pulse
01-05-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm picking Pittsburg over Cincinnati. Sorry, King. If Cinci is one-and-done again, is Marvin Lewis on the chopping block?

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
With McCarron at the helm it's Cincinnati.

Pittsburgh will be a tough match for you guys. They know that they can just go to Brown, and you don't have much recourse. But whoever your QB is gets to take a shot against the Steelers 30th ranked pass defense with a Demaryius Thomas who is heating up.

I would lean toward Denver. At the end of the day homefield advantage is a big deal.

I don't think Roethlisberger will be able to connect with Brown 16 times on the road.

Poet
01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm picking Pittsburg over Cincinnati. Sorry, King. If Cinci is one-and-done again, is Marvin Lewis on the chopping block?

Nope. Dalton didn't play, so it's hard to blame him. Note I am NOT a Marvin Lewis guy. It stings because last year we played the Colts with Sanu as our number one WR -he's normally our third- a HB playing as a TE, a RB as a converted slot WR, and our fifth and sixth WR acting as our second and third WR's. Gresham, the worthless bum, refused to play and he was cleared, too.

Now we get into the playoffs with a healthy roster but a ******* broken QB.

Good lord.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Nope. Dalton didn't play, so it's hard to blame him. Note I am NOT a Marvin Lewis guy. It stings because last year we played the Colts with Sanu as our number one WR -he's normally our third- a HB playing as a TE, a RB as a converted slot WR, and our fifth and sixth WR acting as our second and third WR's. Gresham, the worthless bum, refused to play and he was cleared, too.

Now we get into the playoffs with a healthy roster but a ******* broken QB.

Good lord.

Life can be very frustrating.

tripp
01-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm completely OK with everyone thinking we're a one and done team.

Cugel
01-05-2016, 04:41 PM

That's true. Reality FM is that the Chiefs or Steelers could get hot or a terrible looking Green Bay team that just punted the division to the Vikings could rally behind Aaron Rogers and go on a roll (they exactly that as the 10-6 #6 seed wild-card in 2010 and won the SB), or the Seahawks could go on a "revenge tour" and wind up beating everybody.

Nothing would surprise me. Well, Alex Smith hoisting the Lombardi Trophy would be a bit of a shock, but the Chiefs are playing more consistent sound football than anybody in the NFL to come from 1-5 to finish 11-5, so could they continue to win? Sure.

The one constant in all these unlikely victories has been really great QB play in the playoffs:

Aaron Rogers, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco. That's one reason for hope.

Could Peyton Manning get hot (healthy) and go on a tear in the playoffs, shocking everybody by his performance and riding off into the sunset with a SB MVP performance?

It's no more unlikely than Kirk Cousins winning it all, yet that is by no means impossible either.

weazel
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Denver is capable of beating every team they could possibly face in the conference playoffs.

that's the problem... there are teams going in that you feel could dominate anyone, Denver isn't that. Denver is the team you think could either beat or get flattened by every other team. But that's why we sit at home and scream at the television on Sundays!

NightTerror218
01-05-2016, 05:19 PM
I hope that cincy wins. Which send KC to NE and Cincy to us.

I am scared of KC. They are red hot right now, at the right time.

Cugel
01-05-2016, 06:00 PM
I hope that cincy wins. Which send KC to NE and Cincy to us.

I am scared of KC. They are red hot right now, at the right time.

You've got that wrong.

Lowest seed always plays the highest. Broncos play either #4, 5 or 6 in the opening round: Texans, Chiefs or Steelers, whichever is the lowest surviving seed.

Broncos cannot play the #3 Bengals in their first game. Only way we play them is in the AFC Championships.

KC is the #5 seed and Steelers the #6. If #3 Cincy beats #6 Steelers, and #5 Chiefs beat #4 Texans, then #3 Bengals play at #2 Patriots while #5 Chiefs come to Denver. If Steelers win, they come here while the Chiefs (or Texans) play @Patriots.

Obviously if the Texans beat the Chiefs and the Bengals beat the Steelers, then Houston is the lowest remaining seed at #4 and comes here.

So, #1 Broncos cannot face either Patriots or Bengals except in the AFC Championship Game.

BroncoJoe
01-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Texans beat the Chiefs and come to Denver. We beat them like a redheaded step child.

Steelers beat the Bengals (sorry, King) and the Patriots.

We then beat the living tar out of Big Ben and meet up with the Panthers in the Superbowl.

I have no idea what happens there. I do fear the Panthers.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Texans beat the Chiefs and come to Denver. We beat them like a redheaded step child.

Steelers beat the Bengals (sorry, King) and the Patriots.

We then beat the living tar out of Big Ben and meet up with the Panthers in the Superbowl.

I have no idea what happens there. I do fear the Panthers.

The Steelers winning would guarantee they come to Denver. They are the 6 seed and the lowest seed goes to Denver.

BroncoJoe
01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
The Steelers winning would guarantee they come to Denver. They are the 6 seed and the lowest seed goes to Denver.

Don't you rain on my parade, Al!

NightTerror218
01-05-2016, 07:39 PM
You've got that wrong.

Lowest seed always plays the highest. Broncos play either #4, 5 or 6 in the opening round: Texans, Chiefs or Steelers, whichever is the lowest surviving seed.

Broncos cannot play the #3 Bengals in their first game. Only way we play them is in the AFC Championships.

KC is the #5 seed and Steelers the #6. If #3 Cincy beats #6 Steelers, and #5 Chiefs beat #4 Texans, then #3 Bengals play at #2 Patriots while #5 Chiefs come to Denver. If Steelers win, they come here while the Chiefs (or Texans) play @Patriots.

Obviously if the Texans beat the Chiefs and the Bengals beat the Steelers, then Houston is the lowest remaining seed at #4 and comes here.

So, #1 Broncos cannot face either Patriots or Bengals except in the AFC Championship Game.

Insert Texas into cincy spot in my post. Had spots mixed up.

wayninja
01-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Denver is going to play KC in the divisional round, and the Bengals in the championship. Book it.

NightTerror218
01-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Denver is going to play KC in the divisional round, and the Bengals in the championship. Book it.

I think we will play steelers in divisional and KC in championship.

Cugel
01-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Weird shit happens in the playoffs. We'll just have to hope that Denver's defense can stay tough and force some turnovers and that the old man doesn't play like he did earlier in the year.

He played badly earlier in the year because the OL couldn't protect him. If the OL can pass-protect he'll be fine. If not then he'll throw picks and generally suck, just like he's done when he gets quick pressure right in his face, ever since the Atlanta Falcons game in 2012.

Cugel
01-07-2016, 10:39 AM
I think we will play steelers in divisional and KC in championship.

That would be the "easy" road frankly. Bengals and Patriots are a lot better teams. Patriots need to get healthy but they will get Edelman and Amendola and a bunch of other guys back after their bye. I don't know whether Andy Dalton is coming back, but if he is, then the Bengals become a serious threat to win the SB.

The Steelers are not such a big threat on the road as they are in Pittsburgh. The Chiefs are still a very limited team. They play good defense and don't turn the ball over. That is generally not enough to have a chance to win much in the playoffs. Normally you need great QB play to advance to the SB and I don't see Alex Smith lighting it up in the playoffs like Joe Flacco did in 2012 for instance.

OrangeFanatic
01-07-2016, 04:22 PM
At least we'll get a slightly better pick instead of going two and done.

NightTerror218
01-07-2016, 04:32 PM
That would be the "easy" road frankly. Bengals and Patriots are a lot better teams. Patriots need to get healthy but they will get Edelman and Amendola and a bunch of other guys back after their bye. I don't know whether Andy Dalton is coming back, but if he is, then the Bengals become a serious threat to win the SB.

The Steelers are not such a big threat on the road as they are in Pittsburgh. The Chiefs are still a very limited team. They play good defense and don't turn the ball over. That is generally not enough to have a chance to win much in the playoffs. Normally you need great QB play to advance to the SB and I don't see Alex Smith lighting it up in the playoffs like Joe Flacco did in 2012 for instance.

It's not the easy road at all its the most likely. They are the two hottest teams in AFC. They will mostly likely both win wild card round. I think KC can knock off the stumbling Pats who have lost 4 of last games.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
It's not the easy road at all its the most likely. They are the two hottest teams in AFC. They will mostly likely both win wild card round. I think KC can knock off the stumbling Pats who have lost 4 of last games.

Yeah.. but what QBs have the Chiefs beaten in their run?

TimHippo
01-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Well. Flacco is elite. Alex smith is a journeyman.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Flacco isn't elite.

Krugan
01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
At least we'll get a slightly better pick instead of going two and done.

Damn, i thought i was negative and feeling less then happy about our chances, but you make me look like a giant ball of rainbows and unicorns.

What is the point of being so down on your team?

Poet
01-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Flacco is not now, nor has he ever been, an elite quarterback. Alex Smith isn't a journeyman QB. He's been with the Chiefs for several years, he's their long term starter, and he has been pretty solid on a team that isn't exactly built to throw up a million points.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Damn, i thought i was negative and feeling less then happy about our chances, but you make me look like a giant ball of rainbows and unicorns.

What is the point of being so down on your team?

Pffffft.... he's just Hippo banging on Manning.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
Andy Dalton has a Joe Flacco autographed football.

Ravage!!!
Flacco is not now, nor has he ever been, an elite quarterback. Alex Smith isn't a journeyman QB. He's been with the Chiefs for several years, he's their long term starter, and he has been pretty solid on a team that isn't exactly built to throw up a million points.

Plus, this is only his second team. I'm betting the Niners wish they still had him, too.

Poet
Andy Dalton has a Joe Flacco autographed football.

If that's true then I'm embarrassed.

Poet
01-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Plus, this is only his second team. I'm betting the Niners wish they still had him, too.

After the dumpster fire that Kaepernick turned into, yeah. Alex Smith is not a guy who is going to make big sexy plays. But he has mobility, he doesn't turn the ball over, he CAN throw the ball down the field, and he's a patient player. It's remarkable to me that he turned into a solid player after he had five different OC's in five different years? The only good HC he ever had in the pros before his time in Kansas City was Harbaugh, and that's the same guy who stuck with Kaepernick after Smith got healthy.

BroncoWave
01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Is there a more "hot-takey" debate than whether or not Joe Flacco is an elite QB?

Poet
01-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Is there a more "hot-takey" debate than whether or not Joe Flacco is an elite QB?

Jake Plummer.

BroncoWave
01-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Jake Plummer.

Ooh, that is a good one. Hot takes galore when he comes up.

Poet
01-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Ooh, that is a good one. Hot takes galore when he comes up.

Jay Cutler.

BroncoWave
01-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Jay Cutler.

That's mostly negative things said about him though, and those takes are 100% factual.

Northman
01-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Jay Cutler.

Now you gone and done it.

Poet
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
That's mostly negative things said about him though, and those takes are 100% factual.

Oh there's a lot of crazy backwards stuff said about him, a lot of it isn't substantiated. Here's the thing, we can go cray and get hot takes going, or we can just let this die right now.

I will walk whatever road you want, man. I'm your Huckleberry.

NightTerror218
01-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah.. but what QBs have the Chiefs beaten in their run?

10 game winning streak... they are hot

BroncoWave
01-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Oh there's a lot of crazy backwards stuff said about him, a lot of it isn't substantiated. Here's the thing, we can go cray and get hot takes going, or we can just let this die right now.

I will walk whatever road you want, man. I'm your Huckleberry.

Check out the "Peyton named starter" thread. The hot takes are flat out flowing in there. It's a glorious thing to behold.

Cugel
01-07-2016, 09:14 PM

I hope so. I'm not afraid of the Chiefs. So long as the Broncos don't turn the ball over they can beat the Chiefs. They are similar to the Chiefs in that both teams want to play great defense and run the ball effectively, and not turn the ball over, but the Broncos have a better defense, more weapons on offense and their QB is better (so long as Peyton is healthy and isn't throwing picks).

They can't run the ball as well as the Chiefs, but the Chiefs don't have Jamal Charles so no great running back. Charcandrick West is good, but no Jamal Charles. They just have a good OL which is something the Broncos lack.

Last time they played, turnovers doomed the Broncos. By the time that Brock got into the game (and turned it over in the end-zone) game was over.

Nomad
01-08-2016, 01:29 AM
BRONCOS over Seattle in SB 50. It's gonna be great.

Ravage!!!
01-08-2016, 02:56 PM
I want to know how many times Wave is trying to get his newest phrase "hot take" into this thread? I know he has been pushing his "street" lingo into the other threads with his "hot take" comments, but I think he's hit the end of the roller coaster, and is flying down hill with this one.

Poet
01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
I want to know how many times Wave is trying to get his newest phrase "hot take" into this thread? I know he has been pushing his "street" lingo into the other threads with his "hot take" comments, but I think he's hit the end of the roller coaster, and is flying down hill with this one.

Hot takes is far from 'street' lingo.

#hottakes
#hottestoftakes
#takessohot
#ravageburninghimselfwithhishottakesonhottakes

EastCoastBronco
01-08-2016, 03:01 PM

That would be one of the most epic revenge tales of all time.
I hope you are right.

Canmore
01-08-2016, 09:34 PM

That's what I have.

dogfish
01-08-2016, 09:46 PM

yea, but it makes him sound so edgy. . .

in regards to the original post, i say "f*** that noise ". . .

:defense:

OrangeFanatic
01-08-2016, 11:13 PM
9-17
11-13

BroncoWave
01-08-2016, 11:14 PM

Not my phrase at all man. That's been on Twitter for years. I simply brought it to Broncos Forums. :)

BroncoWave
01-08-2016, 11:15 PM

Dog! It's been so long since you've trolled me unprovoked like this! It's good to see you still care!

Ravage!!!
01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Hot takes is far from 'street' lingo.

#hottakes
#hottestoftakes
#takessohot
#ravageburninghimselfwithhishottakesonhottakes

:lol: I was being ' facetious' by using the word 'street' (hence the '), but twitter lingo IS the street lingo for these young whipper snappers that can't get their faces off their twitter.

I mean, hot takes? :lol:

Ravage!!!
01-09-2016, 10:44 AM

:defense:

like a butta knife, baby... like a butta knife.

Poet
01-09-2016, 02:02 PM
:lol: I was being ' facetious' by using the word 'street' (hence the '), but twitter lingo IS the street lingo for these young whipper snappers that can't get their faces off their twitter.

No. I ******* caught you. You're caught.

#noescape

BroncoWave
01-09-2016, 02:05 PM

So how old are you now, Rav? 70? 80? :D

Poet
01-09-2016, 02:07 PM
like a butta knife, baby... like a butta knife.

Your street lingo of 'butta' must be from some new fangled social media app!

chazoe60
01-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Helluva play by Maualuga. Cincy defense is looking really good so far.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Your street lingo of 'butta' must be from some new fangled social media app!

Nah man, dats from da realz streets, yo. Not dis fake sheet. Ya hear me, dog?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Nah man, dats from da realz streets, yo. Not dis fake sheet. Ya hear me, dog?

This street cred appears to be a combo of the Barrio and the honky hood.

dogfish
01-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Dog! It's been so long since you've trolled me unprovoked like this! It's good to see you still care!

it needs to happen every so often. . .

Cugel
01-14-2016, 02:29 PM
That would be one of the most epic revenge tales of all time.
I hope you are right.

I wouldn't be afraid of that Denver - Seattle matchup, but it won't happen.

No team has gone back to the SB and won it the year after losing since the '73 Dolphins, and no team has gone back at all since the Buffalo Bills 23 years ago.

That's not an accident. The closer they get to the SB, the more those questions come up, and during SB week they get bombarded with questions - "what makes you so sure it won't happen again?" The pressure is just so relentless, because they can't, they just CAN'T lose another SB to make it two in a row or they become the 80's Broncos or Buffalo or the Vikings - losers of multiple SBs.

I would be amazed if they even get to the SB and to win it would be the greatest sports upset in decades.

Poet
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
I think Seattle has a decent shot at getting back to the SB. They're brutally good, Wilson isn't going to have to play every game in the blistering cold, either. They're a decently well-rounded team that has shown the tenacity, or sheer dumb luck, to get back into games.

BroncoJoe
01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of that Denver - Seattle matchup, but it won't happen.

No team has gone back to the SB and won it the year after losing since the '73 Dolphins, and no team has gone back at all since the Buffalo Bills 23 years ago.

That's not an accident. The closer they get to the SB, the more those questions come up, and during SB week they get bombarded with questions - "what makes you so sure it won't happen again?" The pressure is just so relentless, because they can't, they just CAN'T lose another SB to make it two in a row or they become the 80's Broncos or Buffalo or the Vikings - losers of multiple SBs.

I would be amazed if they even get to the SB and to win it would be the greatest sports upset in decades.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Because at first read it's wrong.

VonDoom
01-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Can you explain what you mean by this? Because at first read it's wrong.

I believe he means that no team that lost the Super Bowl has returned the next year since the Bills in the 90's. I had to read it a couple of times myself, but that's what I got out of it.

TXBRONC
01-15-2016, 03:53 PM
I believe he means that no team that lost the Super Bowl has returned the next year since the Bills in the 90's. I had to read it a couple of times myself, but that's what I got out of it.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

slim
01-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Was the answer Houston?

Poet
01-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Was the answer Houston?

It was Cincinnati. :(

olathebroncofan
01-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Looking ahead and all, can we beat them in the superbowl? I personally think they are the scariest team in the playoffs. Except for MN Wash and GB, the rest of the NFC teams shouldn't have any problem with anyone that comes out of the AFC.

GEM
01-15-2016, 06:06 PM
**** this noise. Beating some Steeler ass! I just heard from my oldest...he and his buddies are having a bonfire tonight...terrible towels burn quite well according to them. :D

TXBRONC
01-15-2016, 10:30 PM
It was Cincinnati. :(

Both.

LawDog
01-15-2016, 11:14 PM
Both.

No, Cinci was in it and should have won. Houston got sent home with their asses in their hats - just as expected as the team most likely to go one-and-done.

wayninja
01-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Ahem.

**** you Billick.

Dapper Dan
01-17-2016, 11:41 PM
You ****** like that?!

Canmore
01-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Ahem.

**** you Billick.

Like I said, the only thing Denver that Billick likes is Shannon Sharpe.