PDA

View Full Version : For Peyton Manning, being ready for the call started in practice

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2016, 11:41 AM
DENVER -- It wasn't a matter of playing the blame game. But in the third quarter, with the Broncos' hopes of winning a fifth consecutive AFC West title teetering on the brink of extinction late Sunday afternoon, Head Coach Gary Kubiak felt he had to make a move, and make it now.

Five of their last eight drives had ended in giveaways. The murmur of discomfort over the 74,601 in attendance grew into a roar.

Starting quarterback Brock Osweiler wasn't at fault for most of the turnovers; only one could directly be attributed to him. But with a Hall of Famer standing on the sideline in uniform and deemed healthy enough to take part, Kubiak felt he had to call on Peyton Manning to see if he could stop the slide.

"The feel is that the team is looking around for that guy or that tremendous leadership type of stuff," Kubiak said. "That’s what I felt."

What resulted wasn't Manning magic; but it was good, solid offense, built on a powerful ground game with just enough passing to keep the Chargers off-balance. And it was mistake-free. That was enough to halt the Broncos' descent in its tracks; the offense raced to 20 points in its next five series to seize what would be a 27-20 win.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/For-Peyton-Manning-being-ready-for-the-call-started-in-practice/52e85cd7-04c4-49f3-baf5-1cb3698b04af

mouthofsouth
01-04-2016, 05:58 PM
And it is that kind of experience, expertise and leadership that demands he plays in the playoffs IF HE IS HEALTHY.

Cugel
01-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Well, we'll see how Peyton responds after a week off. But, clearly Osweiler isn't healthy either. He has a separated left shoulder that isn't helping. He could use the rest too.

In fact this team is terribly banged up. DeMarcus Ware, Darrien Stewart, Chris Harris, and the entire OL. C.J. Anderson etc. All could use the rest. It's going to be crowded in the Broncos training room this week. Chris Harris was just on the radio and admitted he's going to be there all week.

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I thought Big Al was really good yesterday talking about QB leadership and how talent alone just isn't enough at the position, taking about Elway vs other QBs he played with that didn't succeed, etc.

And then there was the halftime audio reporting Kubiak basically said Os needed to take the reigns on his job (or something to that effect).

Wonder if he organization is questioning if Os has what it takes from a leadership perspective.

tripp
01-05-2016, 03:15 PM
I thought Big Al was really good yesterday talking about QB leadership and how talent alone just isn't enough at the position, taking about Elway vs other QBs he played with that didn't succeed, etc.

And then there was the halftime audio reporting Kubiak basically said Os needed to take the reigns on his job (or something to that effect).

Wonder if he organization is questioning if Os has what it takes from a leadership perspective.

I think that comes with time. Andy Dalton didn't take leadership his first year, and Brock has had half a year. I predict he will in the off-season once Peyton is no longer on the team.

NightTerror218
01-05-2016, 05:22 PM

To me that means taking the leadership role away from manning. Not an easy task.

BroncoJoe
01-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Yep. Kind of like the VP trying to act like the President. Ain't going to happen.

Until this past weekend, everyone (including Broncos' players) were raving about Brock and his leadership. One game doesn't make or break a QB.

To me, it's pretty clear. The team needed a spark, and that was Manning. Pretty simple. Sometimes in my position I have to hand over a job to someone else because for whatever reason I'm not meshing with the contact and a new approach is necessary. It's not a poor reflection on me - just life.

Valar Morghulis
01-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Sometimes in my position I have to hand over a job to someone else because for whatever reason I'm not meshing with the contact and a new approach is necessary. It's not a poor reflection on me - just life.

Totally relate to and agree with this

Cugel
01-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I think that comes with time. Andy Dalton didn't take leadership his first year, and Brock has had half a year. I predict he will in the off-season once Peyton is no longer on the team.

This is a point I've been trying to make. Whatever happens this season, this is Brock's team next season.

I thought before the season that if Peyton really did well in the Kubiak offense and had a great year then he might come back for another season, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Right now, I don't think he'd come back even if the Broncos won the SB and he was SB MVP.

BTW: Benching Brock probably saved about $3 M a year in salary next year. His asking price will not be as high if he doesn't play in the playoffs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2016, 06:07 PM
I thought Big Al was really good yesterday

First time I've heard that. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Yep. Kind of like the VP trying to act like the President. Ain't going to happen.

Until this past weekend, everyone (including Broncos' players) were raving about Brock and his leadership. One game doesn't make or break a QB.

To me, it's pretty clear. The team needed a spark, and that was Manning. Pretty simple. Sometimes in my position I have to hand over a job to someone else because for whatever reason I'm not meshing with the contact and a new approach is necessary. It's not a poor reflection on me - just life.

Totally relate to and agree with this

I can identify with this as well.