PDA

View Full Version : Darrent Williams I can't believe it's been 9 Years

pnbronco
01-02-2016, 12:08 AM
I just saw that Brandon Marshall was presented with the ninth-annual Darrent Williams Good Guy Award and gave the date of Jan 1 2007 that he passed away. I was thinking that can't be possible. It just doesn't seem that long ago.

I still think about his great smile. He was a really sweet kid. I'm so glad the Broncos helped with the Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center in Montbello. I found this article that was written back in 2013. What a difference that place has made in the lives of so many kids.

A couple of things really caught my eye:

But the center is much more than a hangout. Covering the walls are photos of alumni who have gone on to colleges and universities such as Colorado, Regis, Arapahoe Community College, Texas Southern and Bethune-Cookman.

The club serves about 1,200 youths from the Montbello area, and about 40 percent of those are teenagers. While the on-time graduation rate at nearby Montbello High School was 60.1 percent in 2011, Barrows notes that "for the kids who are truly active in our teen center, they are graduating at better than 90 percent."

The reason I helped Mecklenburg with the DPS reading program was my tribute to Darrent. By the time I was done we had 20,000 students goes through our reading program. We had many students that went from reading 2 grades below their age to top readers in their schools.

Darrent may have only been with us a short time, but he made a big difference in this community.

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22308380/darrent-williams-teen-center-thriving-six-years-after

tripp
01-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I remember I cried when he died because I thought he was going to be the next Champ Bailey.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2016, 07:58 AM
I was devastated because we choked and missed the playoffs then to wake up and hear what happened after the game was one of the lowest points I've ever experienced - worse than the drubbing we took in the Super Bowl.

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2016, 12:55 AM
I was devastated because we choked and missed the playoffs then to wake up and hear what happened after the game was one of the lowest points I've ever experienced - worse than the drubbing we took in the Super Bowl.

That was a -gutless- loss vs a 49ers team with nothing to play for.

Though the game was largely forgotten after the DW murder I remember being pretty surprised by the reports of players partying it up after showing such little heart in that game.

I remember thinking if they were going to fire Shanny that was the time to do it. Was really a low point in his tenure.

7DnBrnc53
01-03-2016, 04:00 AM
I remember thinking if they were going to fire Shanny that was the time to do it. Was really a low point in his tenure.

Someone on the South Stands Denver site (can't find the article now because they revamped their site) thinks that Bowlen was going to fire Shanahan if it wasn't for the Darrent Williams shooting.