PDA

View Full Version : Manning to back up Osweiler Sunday barring setback

Northman
12-30-2015, 06:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612764/article/manning-to-back-up-osweiler-on-sunday-barring-setback

Peyton Manning (http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/profile) is expected to be in uniform for the Denver Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN)' regular-season finale, barring a setback.

Coach Gary Kubiak announced Wednesday that Manning will back up Brock Osweiler (http://www.nfl.com/player/brockosweiler/2533436/profile) at quarterbackon Sunday (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016010313/2015/REG17/chargers@broncos#menu=gameinfo&tab=preview) against the Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD) if everything goes well in practice this week.

Kubiak emphasized that it's time for Manning to "take the next step" because the veteran quarterback appears healthier than he has been since the team revealed his plantar fascia tear (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587722/article/peyton-manning-out-at-least-2-weeks-with-foot-injury) in mid-November."Brock's our quarterback (https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/682337056773640194) -- nothing has changed from that standpoint," Kubiak said, via the team's official Twitter account. "(Manning) being available is a change."

"He's throwing the ball well," Kubiak added. "Last week was a very positive sign."

Although Kubiak has expressed outward confidence in Osweiler, he acknowledged Wednesday that Manning's availability is "a great thing for this football team."

Is that a tacit admission that Manning could reclaim the starting job if Osweiler stumbles versus theChargers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD)? Or merely relief at the prospect of a veteran insurance policy should Osweiler go down with a serious injury?
In an ideal world, Kubiak won't have to address those questions entering the postseason.

Ravage!!!
12-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Good. We might very well need him.

GEM
12-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Well...this looks like a setup for Manning to take over during the playoffs....underwhelmed. Our future qb has earned his chance at the playoffs....not sure putting Manning back there is the best for the future of this franchise. It's a nice story and all if it plays out that way, but Brock is the future, not Manning. I'd rather he got the playoff experience.

underrated29
12-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Like a condom. Better to have him and not need him then to not have him and need him.

Tned
12-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Like a condom. Better to have him and not need him then to not have him and need him.

I could be wrong, but I figured if you had a condom, your day would be better if you did need him/it, then not.

underrated29
12-30-2015, 07:10 PM
I could be wrong, but I figured if you had a condom, your day would be better if you did need him/it, then not.

It would be, but then Peyton would have to be that condom. I do not think we are needing him. (you may not ruin the analogy)

Ravage!!!
12-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Well.. I don't use condoms....... soooooo, if Manning is the condom, then I guess that means he's not getting in the lineup??? :confused:

LawDog
12-30-2015, 07:12 PM
It would be, but then Peyton would have to be that condom. I do not think we are needing him. (you may not ruin the analogy)

So, you're saying we won't need him because we won't be getting past second base?

Northman
12-30-2015, 07:14 PM
This went into the toilet fast.....

Valar Morghulis
12-30-2015, 07:18 PM

we all know what you like to do with condoms

LawDog
12-30-2015, 07:27 PM
To, on the one hand, get this back on track, and on the other, flip it on its head...

What's the likelihood of Peyton coming in during garbage time once Brock and Co have us up by three TD's in the second half. Just to get a feel for where Manning is under game conditions?

Tned
12-30-2015, 07:29 PM
So, you're saying we won't need him because we won't be getting past second base?

Exactly, that was my issue with the analogy. Anyway....

I think it's interesting that Kubiak said "Brocks our quarterback....Nothing has changed." Does that mean he's our QB because Manning isn't healthy enough to start, or is he simply our QB, period.

Northman
12-30-2015, 07:31 PM

I think it's interesting that Kubiak said "Brocks our quarterback....Nothing has changed." Does that mean he's our QB because Manning isn't healthy enough to start, or is he simply our QB, period.

I was kind of looking at that as well, i got the impression that maybe Brock is our QB unless he goes down but that may not be what Kubiak meant.

Slick
12-30-2015, 07:34 PM

When he said that I'm assuming it's because he doesn't think Manning is healthy enough to be a better option than Brock.

Nomad
12-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Peyton being a team player, and accepting his role as the back-up now. I'm still a little surprised he's healthy enough to even be the backup.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Brock gets injured late in the AFCCG. Manning is named starter for the Super Bowl. We win and Manning promptly retires. Everyone is happy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2015, 07:40 PM
There's a lot of speculation going on....all this means is he's healthy enough to he on the game day list. It is not the sign of an underlying conspiracy to reinsert him. He's Payton Freaking Manning. They don't need to be covert about it, if they want to play him they will.

Tned
12-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Brock gets injured late in the AFCCG. Manning is named starter for the Super Bowl. We win and Manning promptly retires. Everyone is happy.

And TD is elected to HOF, and THEN everyone is happy.

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Well...this looks like a setup for Manning to take over during the playoffs....underwhelmed. Our future qb has earned his chance at the playoffs....not sure putting Manning back there is the best for the future of this franchise. It's a nice story and all if it plays out that way, but Brock is the future, not Manning. I'd rather he got the playoff experience.

I'm not sure I see it that way. I actually find it telling that they will activate him and keep him as the backup. It goes back to the "humiliation" that we were discussing yesterday. When Manning first went down, the line was, "He's our QB when healthy." Look at these Kubiak quotes from today:

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 2h2 hours ago

Kubiak: "I don't think anybody is 100%. I don't think (Peyton) is going to be totally well until the season is over."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 2h2 hours ago

Kubiak: “[@bosweiler17] is our guy. He's doing a hell of a job. We'll keep moving forward."

... so I don't know. It seems more like a security blanket issue and if Brock struggles, Manning could theoretically come in on a white horse and save the team in the playoffs. But I sense that Brock will start in the playoffs.

Nomad
12-30-2015, 07:56 PM
How's Brock's shoulder?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 25m

#Broncos HC Gary Kubiak said Brock Osweiler and Peyton Manning would be only two QBs in uniform Sunday if Manning's week goes well.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 30m

Kubiak on if Manning is 100%: “I don’t think he’s going to be totally well until the season’s over and he’s had time to get some rest,''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 32m

Manning also responded to HGH report: "The report wasn’t true Sunday, it’s not true today, it won’t ever be true. I'm still angry.''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 34m

Manning on if could he start in playoffs: “I haven’t thought about that. I want to be able to get through this week full capacity.''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 35m

Manning: "To participate with the team and be out there Sunday, in a position to help any way I can, I’m glad to finally reach that step.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 36m

Manning on getting back on field: “Positive step to get back on the field, maybe make more of a contribution during the week of practice.'

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 08:02 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Peyton Manning will practice this week, and if all goes well, he will be the backup quarterback behind Brock Osweiler for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers, Head Coach Gary Kubiak announced Wednesday afternoon.

"It's always been about Peyton's health, getting him back in position to help this football team," Head Coach Gary Kubiak said.

"That's a good step," Manning added. "It's been a long haul, It's a positive step to get back on the field and maybe be able to make more of a contribution during the week of practice, and more on Sunday than just being in street clothes.

rest - plus videos - Kubes and Peyton
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Brock-Osweiler-to-remain-starter-Peyton-Manning-to-be-backup-QB/590f733a-3d39-492c-894b-28c1f0bbc875

BroncoWave
12-30-2015, 09:05 PM

I don't see it that way at all. I don't think Denver has any plans of benching Brock, but if he does stumble or get hurt, it sure doesn't hurt having Peyton Manning available to come in the game.

NightTerror218
12-30-2015, 10:30 PM
I don't see it that way at all. I don't think Denver has any plans of benching Brock, but if he does stumble or get hurt, it sure doesn't hurt having Peyton Manning available to come in the game.

I agree. A 90% healthy Manning is a great back up if OL let's Brock get injured. We could see Manning in garbage time Sunday if Brock plays well.

Tned
12-30-2015, 10:33 PM
I agree. A 90% healthy Manning is a great back up if OL let's Brock get injured. We could see Manning in garbage time Sunday if Brock plays well.

I do not think the garbage time scenario is likely. They aren't going to risk a re-injury. Kubiak knows what Manning can and can't do. I would be really surprised if that happened.

NightTerror218
12-30-2015, 10:46 PM
I do not think the garbage time scenario is likely. They aren't going to risk a re-injury. Kubiak knows what Manning can and can't do. I would be really surprised if that happened.

Depends on Kubiak's stance is. If he in the middle he prob wants to see how Peyton will play to see if he is worth starting in playoffs he will play. If he is going to remain backup does it matter?

underrated29
12-30-2015, 11:01 PM
When he said that I'm assuming it's because he doesn't think Manning is healthy enough to be a better option than Brock.

Ya, I'm kinda surprised this was such a hard thing, like people have never heard that saying before

GEM
12-31-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure I see it that way. I actually find it telling that they will activate him and keep him as the backup. It goes back to the "humiliation" that we were discussing yesterday. When Manning first went down, the line was, "He's our QB when healthy." Look at these Kubiak quotes from today:

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 2h2 hours ago

Kubiak: "I don't think anybody is 100%. I don't think (Peyton) is going to be totally well until the season is over."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 2h2 hours ago

Kubiak: “[@bosweiler17] is our guy. He's doing a hell of a job. We'll keep moving forward."

... so I don't know. It seems more like a security blanket issue and if Brock struggles, Manning could theoretically come in on a white horse and save the team in the playoffs. But I sense that Brock will start in the playoffs.

I certainly hope this is the case

Davii
12-31-2015, 01:27 AM
Depends on Kubiak's stance is. If he in the middle he prob wants to see how Peyton will play to see if he is worth starting in playoffs he will play. If he is going to remain backup does it matter?

Of course it matters. As it stands this means Peyton isn't healthy enough to play unless we REALLY need him. Letting him play in mop up duty would show that to be false and signal that the coaches feel his skillset, rather than health, is the cause for him being behind Brock. That, imo, would be a slap in the face.

Peyton will ONLY play if he must. If Brock plays well, and isn't injured, Peyton will not play in Denver again.

It's a sad reality, and I hate to see his career end in such a way, but they can't all ride out on top like John did, and Kubiak has a responsibility to this team and city to field the best TEAM, not necessarily the best QB.

CrazyHorse
12-31-2015, 01:44 AM
And TD is elected to HOF, and THEN everyone is happy.

Let's add Gradishar, Atwater, and Rod Smith to that list.

Northman
12-31-2015, 06:41 AM

Yea, it kind of does. If Denver blows out SD (not likely to happen) than that means they will get a bye going into the playoffs which only gives Manning more time to heal without having to worry about coming in earlier than expected.

SR
12-31-2015, 07:31 AM
Yea, it kind of does. If Denver blows out SD (not likely to happen) than that means they will get a bye going into the playoffs which only gives Manning more time to heal without having to worry about coming in earlier than expected.

If this scenario plays out as some have suggested and the plan is to play Manning in the playoffs, which I think is bass ackward football sense, he HAS to play against SD. How Peyton will play if he plays for Denver again is a complete unknown right now. Denver knows what they have in Osweiler. This isn't week six of the regular season anymore. Messing with things in the playoffs when the goal is to reach the Super Bowl is flat out stupid. If Denver is going to plan on playing Peyton in the divisional round (assuming a first round BYE), they may as well just not show up IMO.

Of course, the Peyton of old could come back and bla bla bla, but personally if it was my decision that isn't a risk I would be willing to take in the playoffs. Win or lose with what you know now, not with a total unknown.

Northman
12-31-2015, 07:34 AM
If this scenario plays out as some have suggested and the plan is to play Manning in the playoffs, which I think is bass ackwsrd football sense, he HAS to play against SD. How Peyton will play if he plays for Denver again is a complete unknown right now. Denver knows what they have in Osweiler. This isn't week six of the regular season anymore. Messing with things in the playoffs when the goal is to reach the Super Bowl is flat out stupid. If Denver is going to plan on playing Peyton in the divisional round (assuming a first round BYE), they may as well just not show up IMO.

Of course, they Peyton of old could come back and bla bla bla, but personally if it was my decision that isn't a risk I would be willing to take in the playoffs. Win or lose with what you know now, not with a total unknown.

Nor would i but the injury that Manning has isnt something that can be fixed overnight and that was what i was getting at. The more time that Manning doesnt have to worry about seeing the field the better in my opinion but like you i think Oz should just finish out the year including the playoffs. I think if Manning wants to break the winning record he's probably going to have to do it for another team next year.

SR
12-31-2015, 07:43 AM
I don't think Manning really cares too much about the wins record. That may just be me, but he has never come across as someone that cares about personal statistics so much as he does winning football games for his team(s). May just be me.

That said, Osweiler needs reps. He does well for the most part in pressure situations. He is able to perform when the team needs it most, by and large. If Elway thinks that Osweiler even may be the QB of the future, which I think he does, he needs to let this team sink or swim with Os at the wheel. He always talks about not mortgaging the future and all that, so be about it.

BroncoWave
12-31-2015, 07:48 AM
I think if Manning wants to break the winning record he's probably going to have to do it for another team next year.

This is 100% set in stone actually as Brock is starting this week and playoff wins don't count toward that record. Unless Manning comes back for us next year, it's official he won't be setting that record as a Bronco.

SR
12-31-2015, 07:50 AM
This is 100% set in stone actually as Brock is starting this week and playoff wins don't count toward that record. Unless Manning comes back for us next year, it's official he won't be setting that record as a Bronco.

Yep.

Ravage!!!
12-31-2015, 10:55 AM
I feel pretty confident that Manning is all about the success of the team over him getting one more win as the starting QB.

Nomad
12-31-2015, 11:18 AM
I feel pretty confident that Manning is all about the success of the team over him getting one more win as the starting QB.

Yeah....Ill give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, that he is a team player. There are many scenerios in which Manning could come in, but I don't see him starting 'just because we made the playoffs' if Brock has this team winning and the team is doing good. Manning will never be that healthy, especially his foot.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
But part of Manning is better than nothing at all. And even though he will serve as the backup if he makes his expected return in uniform Sunday against San Diego, he's in a better position to have an impact on the team -- and with his teammates on the sideline.

"There was one time that me, him and Brock [Osweiler] were all in one huddle during the Pittsburgh game," Anderson said. "I can't remember what we were talking about, but there's times he's come to me and said some things, and I took that advice like I always do, and I made it work.

"It's like another coach on the coaching staff. When he's on the field, he's another coach, and now he's just waiting his turn again. That's just a great thing."

AND

"He knows his role, and at the end of the day, he's still Peyton Manning," Anderson said. "Whatever he sees on the football field, if he pulls us aside and tells us, we'd be idiots not to listen to him."

They'll listen, and Manning will have an impact on the Broncos' pursuit of a world championship, even if he never makes it off the sideline during a game.

"He's just that player, man. He's a great player. He's a great teammate," Anderson said. "He's trying to win -- whether he's in or not in, he's trying to win. You see somebody who's trying to win, and is not worried about himself."

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Even-as-a-backup-hes-still-Peyton-Manning/f669089f-6cff-46d9-b804-abb597feb491

chazoe60
12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Joel Klatt is so ******* painfully stupid. He's saying that if we make the AFCCG we have to start Manning. The stupid it burns

TXBRONC
12-31-2015, 11:34 AM
There's a lot of speculation going on....all this means is he's healthy enough to he on the game day list. It is not the sign of an underlying conspiracy to reinsert him. He's Payton Freaking Manning. They don't need to be covert about it, if they want to play him they will.

Absolutely and on top of that Osweiler hasn't done anything to warrant being yanked from starting line up.

Buff
12-31-2015, 12:14 PM
My theory now is that Manning's health hasn't fluctuated this year as much as reports have indicated. I think he came into the year with this plantar fascia thing - and it definitely hampered his effectiveness, but it wasn't like his injuries suddenly became too severe to handle after KC as it was sort of implied with the foot and the ribs - I think that's just when Kubiak lost his tolerance for letting it go on any longer... Keep in mind his rate of interceptions was ridiculously high all year.

So the injury has been a convenient excuse to allow Manning to save face - but now we are at shit or get off the pot time, and his health probably isn't much different than it was when he played against KC, and so we can't string this out any longer and we just needed him to publicly come to terms that he is now the backup in Kubiak's eyes.

Buff
12-31-2015, 12:15 PM

I don't know why you'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that when virtually everything he does is designed to protect the Peyton Manning brand, heavily scripted, and always with with his legacy in mind. There was the report from a few weeks ago that he didn't want to be backup - which he obviously denied.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but I don't feel at all confident like you do.

Buff
12-31-2015, 12:19 PM
My theory now is that Manning's health hasn't fluctuated this year as much as reports have indicated. I think he came into the year with this plantar fascia thing - and it definitely hampered his effectiveness, but it wasn't like his injuries suddenly became too severe to handle after KC as it was sort of implied with the foot and the ribs - I think that's just when Kubiak lost his tolerance for letting it go on any longer... Keep in mind his rate of interceptions was ridiculously high all year.

So the injury has been a convenient excuse to allow Manning to save face - but now we are at shit or get off the pot time, and his health probably isn't much different than it was when he played against KC, and so we can't string this out any longer and we just needed him to publicly come to terms that he is now the backup in Kubiak's eyes.

I should add that we may never know whether Manning could have been effective this year without the foot injury - so maybe it's not fair to classify it as a demotion when it's been based on health - but clearly the belief from Kubiak is that he's not going to be healthy enough to be the #1 again this year.

Nomad
12-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't know why you'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that when virtually everything he does is designed to protect the Peyton Manning brand, heavily scripted, and always with with his legacy in mind. There was the report from a few weeks ago that he didn't want to be backup - which he obviously denied.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but I don't feel at all confident like you do.

I believe failure bothers Manning just as much as winning, and the KC game really had an effect on him. I think Brock's shoulder is really hurting, and one more slam on the ground, may do him in. Manning sees Brock as the best option as long as Brock can still play. We're all assuming, but that's my positive spin on things for Manning, and I'm not his biggest fan.

Ravage!!!
12-31-2015, 12:29 PM

EVERY great QB wants to protect their legacy, and EVERY QB wants to start. If they don't, they shouldn't be in the league. So if he said "I don't want to be a back-up"... I absolutely believe it, and don't blame him. Especially after his career. Why would he WANT to be back-up? It's not like he's coming out and saying it to the media every day, or acting like RGIII about it. If he said it, it was pretty private convesation within the locker room. So what? Hell, I wouldn't even deny it.

Ravage!!!
12-31-2015, 12:31 PM

I think he came into the season with the foot injury, and as the season went, it got worse.... just completely peaking at the KC game.

Ravage!!!
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Absolutely and on top of that Osweiler hasn't done anything to warrant being yanked from starting line up.

well.. other than having a hard time identifying blitzes and coverages. Something Manning is brilliant at.

NightTerror218
12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
well.. other than having a hard time identifying blitzes and coverages. Something Manning is brilliant at.

You can say that about any young QB in his first starts to a carweer. Same thing happened with Aaron Rodgers.

Manning 17 interceptions in 9 games says otherwise. His mind was/is writing checks his body can't cash. He was not able to make the throws he use to and was getting picked off...a lot.

BroncoJoe
12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
You can say that about any young QB in his first starts to a carweer. Same thing happened with Aaron Rodgers.

Manning 17 interceptions in 9 games says otherwise. His mind was/is writing checks his body can't cash. He was not able to make the throws he use to and was getting picked off...a lot.

Still leads the NFL in interceptions - after not playing for 6 weeks.

chazoe60
12-31-2015, 02:37 PM
Manning fans on FB and on talk radio are encroaching on Tebow fan territory. Holy shit these people are stupid. I don't know how many times on FB I've read "the Broncos need to show Manning the proper respect and give him the start in the playoffs" or "Brock is okay but the only shot the Broncos have is by putting Manning in". ******* really you dolts? Holy ******* shit these people are dense.

TXBRONC
12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

Inexperience has been the issue however, it seems to me that he has improved as the season has gone on. As far as Manning is concerned at one time he was brilliant at it this year he has been bad at it.

Timmy!
12-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Stick with Brock. Having 18 available is a good thing though.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Broncos believe in 'toughened up' Osweiler

Head coach Gary Kubiak, quarterback Peyton Manning, and Brock Osweiler give their take on Osweiler's growth and why Brock has been effective as a starter in the past six weeks.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Broncos-believe-in-toughened-up-Osweiler/03567829-5f68-40a8-a614-cf2f507d585d

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2015, 06:31 PM
It would be interesting to know who on here damned Elway when he drafted Osweiler, but who are now totally backing Osweiler. I remember some being upset with the pick at the time, but obviously can not remember who.

Nomad
12-31-2015, 06:39 PM
It would be interesting to know who on here damned Elway when he drafted Osweiler, but who are now totally backing Osweiler. I remember some being upset with the pick at the time, but obviously can not remember who.

I said I'd support Brock because he's a BRONCO, but I also said, he could be the next Dan McGwire. I'm glad to see him progressing.

NightTerror218
12-31-2015, 07:17 PM

A lot of people did. I loved the pick. Because Manning was such a huge question mark after surgery and a year off. The way it played out we could have used that pick elsewhere and drafted a QB a year or two later but it's always a gamble.

LawDog
12-31-2015, 10:29 PM
A lot of people did. I loved the pick. Because Manning was such a huge question mark after surgery and a year off. The way it played out we could have used that pick elsewhere and drafted a QB a year or two later but it's always a gamble.

But, what would they have done for a backup QB for that year or two? Rent-a-vet? I think picking Brock that year was smart, especially since it didn't take a top 10 pick to get him. He may have been ready to go a year or so ago should Manning have gone down sooner, but the way it has worked out has been quite good. We had a guy ready to go at a very high level and didn't have to invest heavily in some other "proven" option just to have them carry a clip board.

NightTerror218
12-31-2015, 11:44 PM
But, what would they have done for a backup QB for that year or two? Rent-a-vet? I think picking Brock that year was smart, especially since it didn't take a top 10 pick to get him. He may have been ready to go a year or so ago should Manning have gone down sooner, but the way it has worked out has been quite good. We had a guy ready to go at a very high level and didn't have to invest heavily in some other "proven" option just to have them carry a clip board.

Sign a vet or ride with a later round pick QB. Figuring we could have used the 2nd on a potential starter. Like I said I liked the pick.

Dapper Dan
01-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Manning fans on FB and on talk radio are encroaching on Tebow fan territory. Holy shit these people are stupid. I don't know how many times on FB I've read "the Broncos need to show Manning the proper respect and give him the start in the playoffs" or "Brock is okay but the only shot the Broncos have is by putting Manning in". ******* really you dolts? Holy ******* shit these people are dense.

What's crazier, starting Manning or trading DT? :lol:

BroncoWave
01-01-2016, 01:17 AM

I would commend anyone who dammed the pick at the time and now totally backs him. It would show a willingness to change one's opinion when presented with new evidence. It would be much more shameful just to still doubt him for no other reason than to stick to one's guns.

BroncoWave
01-01-2016, 01:19 AM
What's crazier, starting Manning or trading DT? :lol:

That's a tough one. Like, if you could get 2 firsts for DT, it would be crazier to start Manning. But if you could only get a second rounder for him, it would be crazier to trade him. So your scenario would almost totally depend on the value you could get for DT.

Dapper Dan
01-01-2016, 01:56 AM
That's a tough one. Like, if you could get 2 firsts for DT, it would be crazier to start Manning. But if you could only get a second rounder for him, it would be crazier to trade him. So your scenario would almost totally depend on the value you could get for DT.

And it would depend on how Manning plays if you started him. Lots of what ifs.

Davii
01-01-2016, 02:15 AM

There is no possible way a Manning fan could approach Tebow fan levels. One is a SB winner, HOF qb, etc. The other is Tim Tebow, a horrible, horrible qb. There is no comparison of the men or the reasoning behind supporting Manning, none.

I think Brock should start, but comparing a Manning fanatic to a Tebow fanatic is just dumb.

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2016, 06:24 AM
I would commend anyone who dammed the pick at the time and now totally backs him. It would show a willingness to change one's opinion when presented with new evidence. It would be much more shameful just to still doubt him for no other reason than to stick to one's guns.

I hated the pick.

I am warming to him, but the jury is still out in my mind.

BroncoWave
01-01-2016, 09:37 AM
I hated the pick.

I am warning to him, but the jury is still out in my mind.

I was indifferent to the pick and I am still pretty undecided on him. So as you can tell, I am really good at making up my mind on things!

tomjonesrocks
01-01-2016, 10:36 AM
I hated the pick. I am warning to him, but the jury is still out in my mind.

Someone bumped that old thread which answered some of who did and didn't like the pick but oddly I wasn't in it. Was definitely lukewarm on the pick though and the fact that GMoney hated it didn't make me feel better.

I'll get a chance today to spend some time with last week's second half but so far honestly I'm not sold yet that Os has franchise QB potential by any means.

Os to me is still wildly inconsistent and is so inaccurate deep right now it's crazy. That miss to DT on 3rd and 1 (they could have just picked up the first but DT was open) was 10 yards over his head and a really easy throw. C'mon, man...

Northman
01-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Its been a while and i cant remember it all but most were not happy about it. Not sure if they were going postal about it but many did want to take another player over Oz at the time. Of course, you could say that about any draft that we have. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Its been a while and i cant remember it all but most were not happy about it. Not sure if they were going postal about it but many did want to take another player over Oz at the time. Of course, you could say that about any draft that we have. :lol:

Here is the thread on it
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/387277-Brock!!!?highlight=john+elway+brock+osweiler

Ravage!!!
01-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Seems there were several people upset that we used a 2nd round pick on a QB when we signed Manning. But Elway had to have a plan B, in case Manning's neck just didn't hold up. Never know with nerves.

One in particular felt that Elway ONLY drafted Os because he was friends with his son, and nothing more.

At the time, I was glad to see Elway make the move for the future while spending for Manning in the present. Also glad he was willing to get rid of Tebow, while at the same time draft a kid that is more suited for the NFL. I don't watch much college football so I didn't have any bias as to his play or affiliation with a rivaling school.

As of right now, I'm still unsure as to what I think of him. I know the odds are against him, so I feel that I'm probably judging him with a pretty skeptical eye...probably because I know how rare it is to really find your "future" QB, and don't want to have TOO much hope based purely on "want" rather than logic. It's easy to get swept up in the "we have our guy" dreams rather than looking at things from a realistic standpoint. I of course "want" him to be our new franchise stud, but can't really see it, yet.

gregbroncs
01-01-2016, 12:06 PM
well.. other than having a hard time identifying blitzes and coverages. Something Manning is brilliant at.Not this year he wasn't. Manning was getting killed on blitzes and throwing into bad coverages because he didn't see them.

Tned
01-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Looks like my sole contribution to that thread was:

Put it in the bank, Osweiler will be a beast for the Broncos. He was mentored by former ASU standout QB Jake Plummer!!

It looks like I watched a Gruden video where he was talking to Osweiler and it must have come up.

I didn't see or pay attention to him in college. The pick looked interesting when it was made, and I thought picking a QB with a second made sense, since nobody knew how many years Manning was going to be able to play. My hope was, and still is, that with 1-5 years sitting behind and learning from Manning, that Osweiler would be come a very good starter.

Based on what I'm seeing, after 3.5 years sitting and learning behind Manning, I think Brock is showing signs that he can be a very good starter in this league. Elite or top tier? Long way to go to prove that, but certainly middle of the pack, serviceable starter at minimum. That said, with the Broncos defense, and if they can get their running game (improve the line) in shape, then a middle of the pack starter might be all they need to win championships.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Not this year he wasn't. Manning was getting killed on blitzes and throwing into bad coverages because he didn't see them.

And, of course, that had absolutely nothing to do with the non existence of the OL

TXBRONC
01-01-2016, 01:38 PM

I know one for sure but I won't out that person.

gregbroncs
01-01-2016, 10:07 PM
And, of course, that had absolutely nothing to do with the non existence of the OLYet Brock is playing behind the same line and not doing that.

SR
01-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Yet Brock is playing behind the same line and not doing that.

Brock is holding on to the ball and taking the sacks instead of turning the ball over.

Jsteve01
01-02-2016, 09:47 AM
I hated the pick. I am warning to him, but the jury is still out in my mind.

Someone bumped that old thread which answered some of who did and didn't like the pick but oddly I wasn't in it. Was definitely lukewarm on the pick though and the fact that GMoney hated it didn't make me feel better.

I'll get a chance today to spend some time with last week's second half but so far honestly I'm not sold yet that Os has franchise QB potential by any means.

Os to me is still wildly inconsistent and is so inaccurate deep right now it's crazy. That miss to DT on 3rd and 1 (they could have just picked up the first but DT was open) was 10 yards over his head and a really easy throw. C'mon, man...
you cannot overstate the impact that our porous o line has on those throws. Ive said it for years but I think guys like David Carr and Tim Couch ciuld have had solid if not good careers if they hadnt played behind horrid lines. The psychological impact of getting hit repeatedly is astronomical. Just look what it did to Manning the past two years. I don't think you can fairly judge either of these quarterbacks this year. that really is the thing sucks. I like Brock's moxie. I like his leadership. I like some of his physical attributes, but to be honest with as bad as this whole line is I really have no idea how good he can be because the O line has been horrid. the sad thing is that if they don't get it fixed. he may be another tale of a quarterback who got punched in the mouth repeatedly and got happy feet and felt pressure where there was none.

I know we have some big time players that we have to sign in the offseason. John Elway's cap guru has been amazing at this point. so I think we'll have to make a few painful cuts or let a few very popular good players walk, but at the end of the day we have to come back to the fact that oline is probably the most important unit on an NFL football team in today's league. if we don't throw some serious assets, and by that I mean a combination of high draft picks and free agency dollars to solidify this line I am going to be livid.

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2016, 11:24 AM

The easiest throws are the hardest in those type of situations.

Remember Elway rolling out and running it in for the TD in Super Bowl 32? He's said himself, he didn't trust himself to get it to the wide open receiver.

Brock had a wide open DT streaking down the sideline for a sure TD, and his adrenaline kicked in and he over-threw it. Next time he has that chance, I imagine he'll do better.

gregbroncs
01-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Brock is holding on to the ball and taking the sacks instead of turning the ball over.Great a sack is>>>>>> than an INT.

TXBRONC
01-02-2016, 01:46 PM
And, of course, that had absolutely nothing to do with the non existence of the OL

Carol, Manning has had offensive lines as bad if not arguably worse and was successful. He just not anywhere near the quarterback he was when he arrived.

Valar Morghulis
01-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Carol Manning has had offensive lines as bad in not a arguably worse and was successful. He just not anywhere near quarterback he was when he arrived.

Worse than this in Denver?

Nomad
01-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Carol Manning has had offensive lines as bad in not a arguably worse and was successful. He just not anywhere near quarterback he was when he arrived.

Who's Carol Manning? :D

TXBRONC
01-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Worse than this in Denver?

Manning's offensive lines with Colts were bad especially near the end of his career in Indy.

TXBRONC
01-02-2016, 02:58 PM
I went back and fixed it before I saw your post. :D

Nomad
01-02-2016, 03:01 PM
I went back and fixed it before I saw your post. :D

I was just messin with ya, TX. I'm the last person to play grammar police :lol:.

Valar Morghulis
01-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Manning's offensive lines with Colts were bad especially near the end of his career in Indy.

Yeah mate, i get that, i wasn't sure if that was what you were talking about or if you felt he had worse lines than this in Denver

TXBRONC
01-02-2016, 04:14 PM
I was just messin with ya, TX. I'm the last person to play grammar police :lol:.

No problem Nomad.

tripp
01-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Incredible to think a 1st ballot HoF QB is playing back up to a guy my age. I'm ok with whatever the end result is with Brock this season. If we go 1 and out in the playoffs, I'm prepared for that. This is ultimately better for the team.

Cugel
01-03-2016, 06:44 AM
you cannot overstate the impact that our porous o line has on those throws. Ive said it for years but I think guys like David Carr and Tim Couch ciuld have had solid if not good careers if they hadnt played behind horrid lines. The psychological impact of getting hit repeatedly is astronomical. Just look what it did to Manning the past two years. I don't think you can fairly judge either of these quarterbacks this year. that really is the thing sucks. I like Brock's moxie. I like his leadership. I like some of his physical attributes, but to be honest with as bad as this whole line is I really have no idea how good he can be because the O line has been horrid. the sad thing is that if they don't get it fixed. he may be another tale of a quarterback who got punched in the mouth repeatedly and got happy feet and felt pressure where there was none.

I know we have some big time players that we have to sign in the offseason. John Elway's cap guru has been amazing at this point. so I think we'll have to make a few painful cuts or let a few very popular good players walk, but at the end of the day we have to come back to the fact that oline is probably the most important unit on an NFL football team in today's league. if we don't throw some serious assets, and by that I mean a combination of high draft picks and free agency dollars to solidify this line I am going to be livid.

Prepare to be livid. I've been livid for 3 years now and I don't expect it to change. Elway keeps trying to get by with cheap crappy OL. This year it just blew up in his face, but he will probably decide that it was just "bad luck with injuries" and try to find more bargain basement OL to fill in who will go on sucking next year.

Look at what he's done so far:

LT:
It was entirely predictable that Ryan Clady would not be dependable. He was hurt all 2013 and played badly in 2014. Then he blew out his knee in a "non-contact" drill in pre-season. For the 2nd time. Planning to bring him back and pay him remotely $10 M he's due is ridiculous. They plan to use Ty Sambrailo at LT, but he was bad as a rookie and then hurt. NOTHING he's shown indicates that he's going to be really good at LT, but Elway is giving him the job. Worse, there's no backup plan in case that one doesn't work, except to draft a LT (developmental move) or bring in another cheap FA loser like Ryan Harris or Tyler Polumbus.

After BOTH Clady and Sambrailo went down, Elway tried to trade for Joe Thomas, but refused to close the deal. That was the one of the worst FA blunders in Broncos history. Joe Thomas is a Hall of Famer. The players they sign with those picks he refused to surrender will never be remotely as good as Joe Thomas.

LT remains a worrying problem for next year.

LG: Evan Mathis is 35 and finished. Due to make $4 M next year, he's gone. Max Garcia is your new starter. Hopefully at some point he'll learn how to pass-block. He's good in the run game. But, again there's no backup worth mentioning.

C: Matt Paradis was a practice squad player last season, and has started every game this year. He shows a disturbing propensity for being knocked right over onto his butt while the defender rushes straight over C into the QB. They need an upgrade at this position, but I'd be surprised if they get it.

RG: Louis Vasquez was supposed to be another veteran anchor on the OL, but he's fallen way off his former pro-bowl play. Don't know whether he's just injured or doesn't fit in well with this system, but his play has been pretty bad. They need a significant upgrade here. Questionable whether they get it or whether Elway goes out and gets another journeyman retread to back up.

RT: This has been a giant gaping hole on the OL for 3 years now, and I doubt it changes. Everybody expected Elway to go out in FA and get a GOOD veteran RT but nothing happened. Instead Elway insisted that they needed to "develop" Michael Schofield. That was a big conflict that led to firing Fox and Adam Gase both of whom had no use for Schofield.

Well, he's been simply horrible. I doubt Elway gets rid of him like they need to, he's stubborn in defense of "his" players. They will probably get another backup quality player like Ryan Harris or Polumbus (both of whom are FAs and will probably be gone).

Who knows? They might even try and re-sign Ryan Harris and move him back to RT, like they did with Chris Clark, their other failed development project in 2014.

I am not anticipating that Elway will see the light and go out and spend any money in FA to get good OL. He never has and keeps trying to save money by using cheap players who suck.