PDA

View Full Version : Practice / Press conference notes - week 17 (Chargers week)

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Might as well start with some back of the roster talk:

The Broncos are signing offensive guard Robert Myers off the Baltimore Ravens' practice squad and will add him to their roster Wednesday. Myers is a 6-foot-5, 330-pound guard from Tennessee State who was the Ravens' fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft.

Cut by Baltimore prior to this season, Myers was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts on Sept. 6, but was waived again five days later and wound up back with the Ravens. Myers will join the Broncos for their practice Wednesday that will begin at 7:15 p.m. -- about 8 hours later than usual so the players can get some rest from their physical overtime game Monday night against the Bengals.

To make room for Myers, the Broncos waived safety Shaun Prater, who was only with the team for a week.

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/12/29/denver-broncos-baltimore-ravens-robert-myers/78054948/

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Maps are up - looks like most of the country gets this game. A lot of you (especially local) get KC/Oakland on Fox simultaneously as well, if you care:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=17

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 5m5 minutes ago

A bit concerned about the Brandon Marshall (foot) and TJ Ward (ankle) injuries. They can use that bye. Ward has ligament damage.

Buff
12-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Don't fault him for trying - but it looks like all of Elway's later attempts at fortifying the roster have been busts this year - Gradkowski got cut, Davis can't catch, Mathis is losing playing time to a rookie and we're signing guys off of practice squads to try and patch holes. Guess there is a reason everyone is so active early in free agency.

TXBRONC
12-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Don't fault him for trying - but it looks like all of Elway's later attempts at fortifying the roster have been busts this year - Gradkowski got cut, Davis can't catch, Mathis is losing playing time to a rookie and we're signing guys off of practice squads to try and patch holes. Guess there is a reason everyone is so active early in free agency.

I think Denver would have been better off sticking with Garcia starting line up. In fact, maybe Denver would have been better off sliding him our to right tackle.

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
We're 3-0 in division road games this year and 0-2 in division home games. Need to buck that trend this week

Cugel
12-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Elway utterly screwed the pooch by trying to save money and get by with a cheap OL.

First they refused to go out in FA and get a GOOD RT to fill the gaping hole from last season.

Then they signed re-treads Ryan Harris and Tyler Polumbus to play RT.

Then Ryan Clady got hurt, again, and missed the 2nd season out of the last 3 to IR knee surgery. Not a huge surprise there; it was the same knee.

Then they signed Evan Mathis, the pro-bowl G who was 35 years old and coming off knee surgery. Then he battled injuries all season long and didn't live up to his salary. Not surprising that a 35 year old lineman would struggle to stay healthy.

Then they were forced to start their rookie backup LT Ty Sambrailo in place of Clady and he struggled (not surprisingly). Then he had surgery and went on IR for the season.

Then they were forced to move Ryan Harris to LT where he's been mostly hopeless. He's a career RT, not a starting NFL caliber LT.

Then because of the Harris move, they were forced to start Michael Schofield at RT where he's utter garbage. He needs help on every single play or he gets beat.

Then they made the decision not to get a veteran C and start practice squad C Matt Paradis. He's been run over like a speed bump - one more reason Osweiler and Manning were hit so much.

Then Elway utterly screwed up and fumbled the ball at the 1 yard line, refusing at the last minute to do the Joe Thomas trade.

If only they had gotten Joe Thomas they could have moved Harris back over to RT where he belongs and this OL would be relatively solid (overall) and really solid (on the Left side where rookie Max Garcia has proven to be tough in the run game).

But, no! Epic FAIL on Elway's part.

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 01:11 PM
MRI on Marshall showed a mild sprain. Should hopefully be good to go on Sunday

underrated29
12-30-2015, 01:35 PM
MRI on Marshall showed a mild sprain. Should hopefully be good to go on Sunday

Id say rest him and TJ, infact, rest Ware and Talib too. Lets give them 2 weeks to get to 100%

Slick
12-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Id say rest him and TJ, infact, rest Ware and Talib too. Lets give them 2 weeks to get to 100%

CJ as well.

underrated29
12-30-2015, 02:20 PM
this would be a wonderful week to have a bibbs coming out party!

Nomad
12-30-2015, 02:22 PM
We're 3-0 in division road games this year and 0-2 in division home games. Need to buck that trend this week

Yes....very odd.

BRONCOS gonna win big on Sunday.

SR
12-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Cugel, Clady missed the season after last to a lisfrank injury, not a knee.

Nomad
12-30-2015, 02:24 PM
For those who are curious, we all get the BRONCOS game......well, except the Bay Area and St Louis.
http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=17

NightTerror218
12-30-2015, 02:46 PM
This OL would be 100% different with Clady and Sambrailo on the books ends.

I do not see how Elway screwed up FA. He can not predict injuries.

Valar Morghulis
12-30-2015, 02:51 PM
This OL would be 100% different with Clady and Sambrailo on the books ends. I do not see how Elway screwed up FA. He can not predict injuries.

It would only be 40% different

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 02:58 PM

CJ as well.

Guys, we need to actually WIN this game to get those two weeks. Ward, maybe, given his injury. Everyone else has to play, at least somewhat. Maybe we'll be blowing them out and we can rest them. We can hope, right?

underrated29
12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I think the chargers have only scored something like a combined 31 points in their last 4-5 games.....This could be completely wrong as I just remember someone talking trash to a charger fan and posted this, but their offense is all kinds of banged up. They have Danny woodhead and gates and nothing else. Nothing our defense cant handle. Their OL has to be nearly as bad as ours too.

VonDoom
12-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I think the chargers have only scored something like a combined 31 points in their last 4-5 games.....This could be completely wrong as I just remember someone talking trash to a charger fan and posted this, but their offense is all kinds of banged up. They have Danny woodhead and gates and nothing else. Nothing our defense cant handle. Their OL has to be nearly as bad as ours too.

They put up 30 on the Dolphins a couple of weeks ago. I'm not saying they're a good team, because they're not. I'm just saying that we can't treat this like a preseason game. We need that bye to heal up. If we lose, we're not only playing next week, but we'll be on the road. One step at a time before we start planning the playoff schedule. This team has shown that it can play with the best of them, but also that it can fall into offensive sinkholes against mediocre teams. Would you be at all surprised if this was like a 14-10 game in the 4th quarter?

Slick
12-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Guys, we need to actually WIN this game to get those two weeks. Ward, maybe, given his injury. Everyone else has to play, at least somewhat. Maybe we'll be blowing them out and we can rest them. We can hope, right?

You're right. It's a must win.

SR
12-30-2015, 03:23 PM
This OL would be 100% different with Clady and Sambrailo on the books ends. I do not see how Elway screwed up FA. He can not predict injuries.

Clady and Sambrailo? When have either of them ever played together for you to know that they would be "100% different" than whatever Denver gas now?

LawDog
12-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Since their bye they have played six games. In three of those they have only scored a field goal in each, the other games were 20 - 31 points per. One of the games of only 3 points was against us.

On the other hand, they have scored 30 or more 5 times this season. Denver has only done so twice.

BroncoJoe
12-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I knew Cugel would bring up Joe Thomas again. Talk about a scratched record.

Get over it already. You're becoming worse than Tebow fans. Thomas would not have magically fixed our OL.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 03:32 PM
ic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 3h

Marshall MRI came back negative. He should be able to play. Mild sprain. #broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 32m

#Broncos Marshall told me today "my ankle is good. I'll be all right." He wants to play Sunday, but will need to see how it responds this wk

NightTerror218
12-30-2015, 04:01 PM
It would only be 40% different

Personnel wise yes but play wise 100%.

NightTerror218
12-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Clady and Sambrailo? When have either of them ever played together for you to know that they would be "100% different" than whatever Denver gas now?

15 weeks together would help. Remove 3/4 of the sacks off the edges. Then did in preseason

TXBRONC
12-30-2015, 04:41 PM
This OL would be 100% different with Clady and Sambrailo on the books ends.

I do not see how Elway screwed up FA. He can not predict injuries.

Because Elway wouldn't give Cleveland everything they wanted in a trade for Joe Thomas he screwed up. The same critics balked about not getting Evan Mathis immediately when they wanted him.

BroncoWave
12-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Kubes just said in his press conference that Peyton will dress and be the backup this week. Guess that confirms that the job is Brock's.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4m

Kubiak would not speculate whether Manning would return to starting status at some point. Says he'll take it day-by-day.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 8m

Kubiak: "Peyton will practice today ... if everything goes well, he will be the backup to Brock this Sunday".

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 48m

List of names of #Broncos on injury report could exceed 20 this week, as it did a couple weeks ago. 14 players on it last week.

Nomad
12-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 48m

List of names of #Broncos on injury report could exceed 20 this week, as it did a couple weeks ago. 14 players on it last week.

Limping into the playoffs. BRONCOS need to win Sunday, just to lick their wounds for 2 weeks.

SR
12-30-2015, 08:07 PM
15 weeks together would help. Remove 3/4 of the sacks off the edges. Then did in preseason

I don't even know that based on the small sample of Sambrailo we've seen that it's even logical to make that assumption. He was VERY raw in the games he started.

Nomad
12-30-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't even know that based on the small sample of Sambrailo we've seen that it's even logical to make that assumption. He was VERY raw in the games he started.

Everytime I see this last name, I envision Richie Sambora. :lol:

WJK
12-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Damnit to hell I'm one of the few to get the St. Louis @ San Francisco game.

Nomad
12-31-2015, 12:41 PM
Damnit to hell I'm one of the few to get the St. Louis @ San Francisco game.

I think it's retarded CBS does that.

NightTerror218
12-31-2015, 12:47 PM

He was a hell of a lot better than schofield

SR
12-31-2015, 01:08 PM

Debatable

underrated29
12-31-2015, 02:00 PM

Debatable

IM with Night on this one. Sambrero wasnt amazing but he was pretty good. He was infinitely better than Schofield. Seriously, Schofield is one of the worst T I have seen play. I still ascertain that he will be a G. Likely a RG next year when Vazquez isnt here and Mad max is LG.

Valar Morghulis
12-31-2015, 02:44 PM
I just don't see how someone can be so bad at right tackle and be anything other than slightly better at guard.

He flat out sucks, I expect him to suck at guard as well

VonDoom
12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Brandon Marshall & Owen Daniels did not practice today. Ward, Bolden, Thomas were limited. All others had full practice, including Manning.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Owen Daniels took walk-through reps. Kubiak said if practice had been outside on grass, he would have practiced.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m4 minutes ago

Kubiak: "The reins are off" on DeMarcus Ware now. "I know he's in a good place ... he's been really good here lately."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 6m6 minutes ago

Kubiak on #NewYear reflections: "It's not time to look back yet. We've got a long way to go."

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak on if Brandon Marshall will practice tomorrow: "I wouldn't bet against him."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak on #NYE plans: "I've got a lot of work to do; we've got a big game to get ready for. Just trying to stay focused." #BeatTheChargers

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2015, 03:34 PM
Mark Haas ‏@markhaastv 9m ago Dove Valley, CO

Kubiak said he will probably not make it to midnight tonight. #NewYearsEve

Mark Haas ‏@markhaastv 14m ago Dove Valley, CO

Kubiak: Brock and Peyton both full participants at practice. #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m

DeCamillis said Colquitt had his best game... #Broncos

Michelle Tuckner Verified account
‏@MichelleTuckner

DeCamillis on McManus: He's a young player. He's going through some growing pains.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 3m

Dennison on Schofield: He's had some great moments and he's struggled at times. He played well at the end of the game vs. Bengals

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 6m

DeCamillis on Bolden: He's been missed quite a bit, hopefully we get him back this week.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 10m

Kubiak on Manning: He's moving around, got a lot of reps today. I think the confidence comes more each day.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 17m

Kubiak on NYE celebrations: "I worry about it all the time, you try to send the same message. They know it's a big week."

TXBRONC
12-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Mark Haas ‏@markhaastv 9m ago Dove Valley, CO

Kubiak said he will probably not make it to midnight tonight. #NewYearsEve

Mark Haas ‏@markhaastv 14m ago Dove Valley, CO

Kubiak: Brock and Peyton both full participants at practice. #Broncos

DeCamillis said Colquitt had his best game... #Broncos

Michelle Tuckner Verified account
‏@MichelleTuckner

DeCamillis on McManus: He's a young player. He's going through some growing pains.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 3m

Dennison on Schofield: He's had some great moments and he's struggled at times. He played well at the end of the game vs. Bengals

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 6m

DeCamillis on Bolden: He's been missed quite a bit, hopefully we get him back this week.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 10m

Kubiak on Manning: He's moving around, got a lot of reps today. I think the confidence comes more each day.

Michelle Tuckner ‏@MichelleTuckner 17m

Kubiak on NYE celebrations: "I worry about it all the time, you try to send the same message. They know it's a big week."

I don't know if anyone can say Schofield has had great moments. He has had a couple of nice games and then he's gotten his head handed to him most of the last two or three games. The kid is a back up right tackle and nothing more. Maybe that changes next year but we'll have to see.

underrated29
12-31-2015, 04:37 PM
I just don't see how someone can be so bad at right tackle and be anything other than slightly better at guard.

He flat out sucks, I expect him to suck at guard as well

My theory on him is that he has major trouble with engaging and speed. Im not an expert so we will see how wrong I am (likely). At T this is terrible for him. At G, the DL player will engage him. Once he gets his hands on a guy he does alright aside from being bullrushed which he always gives ground (but that can be a technique taught). At guard I think he will be able to engage without lunging and he wont be required as much to slide guys down the pocket. In my review of him where I watched nearly every single one of his plays for an entire year, I noticed he had quick feet but couldnt shuffle. He also tipped off the play by his stance and where/how he pointed his knee. This should all be wiped out if he is the RG/swing T. He is decent enough in the run game. Letting the defenders come to him may just work.

I have no idea if he can pull though. His down and angle blocks have been mixed bags of shit. He could just generally suck at all of it (likely the case) but I would like to see him play Guard. Gmoney-suggested this and I agree with him. He is a G if he wants to be mediocre and not terrible.

NightTerror218
12-31-2015, 07:26 PM
My theory on him is that he has major trouble with engaging and speed. Im not an expert so we will see how wrong I am (likely). At T this is terrible for him. At G, the DL player will engage him. Once he gets his hands on a guy he does alright aside from being bullrushed which he always gives ground (but that can be a technique taught). At guard I think he will be able to engage without lunging and he wont be required as much to slide guys down the pocket. In my review of him where I watched nearly every single one of his plays for an entire year, I noticed he had quick feet but couldnt shuffle. He also tipped off the play by his stance and where/how he pointed his knee. This should all be wiped out if he is the RG/swing T. He is decent enough in the run game. Letting the defenders come to him may just work.

I have no idea if he can pull though. His down and angle blocks have been mixed bags of shit. He could just generally suck at all of it (likely the case) but I would like to see him play Guard. Gmoney-suggested this and I agree with him. He is a G if he wants to be mediocre and not terrible.

I DO NOT want to see him play guard. Last game Oz was able to step up in pocket. The way schofield gets bull rushed, DT will blow him up and pocket will calapse in the middle. That would be way worse.

NightTerror218
01-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Weddle has been placed on IR.

Per NFL.com he is doing sprints in front of reporters to show he a healthy and should not have been put on IR.

Per NFL policy a team can not place a healthy player on IR.

Chargers also fined him $10,000 for staying on field at halftime to watch his daughter preform with cheerleaders.

So he is getting back at chargers.

tomjonesrocks
01-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Weddle has been placed on IR. Per NFL.com he is doing sprints in front of reporters to show he a healthy and should not have been put on IR. Per NFL policy a team can not place a healthy player on IR. Chargers also fined him $10,000 for staying on field at halftime to watch his daughter preform with cheerleaders. So he is getting back at chargers.

That's an interesting story. Weddle has been on the outs with SD for a long time. This is quite the story - IR-ed for watching his daughter instead of participating in halftime adjustments or whatever.

Neither here nor there Weddle's daughter goes to my daughter's school and he's a guy everyone seems to have interacted with at the local businesses - have never heard an ill word about him.

He could have his kids in private everything and chooses not to for whatever reason - seems to be a down to earth guy FWIW. Gets his Mohawk done at Sport Clips lol.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2016, 02:28 PM

#broncos TJ Ward and Brandon Marshall only 2 players listed as questionable Optimism that Marshall could play

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

#Broncos Brandon Marshall is practicing for first time of week

Nomad
01-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Weddle has been placed on IR.

Per NFL.com he is doing sprints in front of reporters to show he a healthy and should not have been put on IR.

Per NFL policy a team can not place a healthy player on IR.

Chargers also fined him $10,000 for staying on field at halftime to watch his daughter preform with cheerleaders.

So he is getting back at chargers.

I would have watched my little girl too. The moment is more special for her. Sounds like for a while, Weddle's out the door anyway.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Please bring Weddle to Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 7m

#Broncos Peyton Manning makes it through the week without any setbacks. http://dpo.st/1ReIRh2

VonDoom
01-01-2016, 05:21 PM

#broncos TJ Ward and Brandon Marshall only 2 players listed as questionable Optimism that Marshall could play

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

#Broncos Brandon Marshall is practicing for first time of week

Everyone on the 53 man roster practiced in some capacity- first time since 9/24 that happened. Wow.

SR
01-01-2016, 05:27 PM

You would rather have him over Stewart?

NightTerror218
01-01-2016, 05:34 PM

If it was not a matter of money..... hell yes. Weddle is a pro bowler who is the leader of SD defense. Leads ints and tackles almost every season.

SR
01-01-2016, 05:51 PM
If it was not a matter of money..... hell yes. Weddle is a pro bowler who is the leader of SD defense. Leads ints and tackles almost every season.

He's also on the back end of his career and is expensive. I'd rather have Stewart now. Five years ago I would've rather had Weddle.

LawDog
01-01-2016, 06:30 PM

Can he play OL?

Valar Morghulis
01-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Can he play OL?

Champ Bailey is available

SR
01-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Champ Bailey is available

Champ Bailey for safety.

NightTerror218
01-01-2016, 07:08 PM
He's also on the back end of his career and is expensive. I'd rather have Stewart now. Five years ago I would've rather had Weddle.

Why I said if money was not part of it. I will take Stewart for how much he is being paid.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2016, 01:06 AM

Stewart is good, but yes, absolutely.

Can he play OL?

Better than some. :D

SR
01-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Stewart is good, but yes, absolutely. Better than some. :D

Not me.

VonDoom
01-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Supposedly McCoy is being fired after the game Sunday. I'd take him back as offensive coordinator

TXBRONC
01-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Supposedly McCoy is being fired after the game Sunday. I'd take him back as offensive coordinator

If Denver did Under would probably hurt himself.