PDA

View Full Version : Archie Manning confirms all our suspicions, Peyton was hurt since the beginning of the season

Northman
12-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Well, its confirmed from daddy Manning. I think everyone pretty much suspected it but now it really has me confused as to why Peyton was playing when he should of been healing up earlier in the year.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/story/1624560-manning-injury-goes-back-months

Peyton Manning (http://www.scout.com/player/18634-peyton-manning) has never been right. Back in August, when Manning and the Denver Broncos (http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos) first team offense failed to score a single offensive touchdown during the preseason, fans could tell something just was not right.
Then, last month, CBS4 Denver’s Vic Lombardi reported Manning was dealing with a torn plantar fascia ahead of the Broncos matchup with the Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.scout.com/nfl/chiefs). That game turned out to be the worst of Manning’s career, a 29-13 loss wherein the five-time NFL MVP posted a passer rating of 0.0. Manning hasn’t dressed since that debacle.

Following that game, this writer reported that Manning’s foot injury was far from new. In fact, we reported Manning had been dealing with a foot injury as far back as the Manning Passing Academy in the summer. Lombardi, and other news outlets, had written similar reports.

Yesterday, Archie Manning, the future Hall of Famer’s equally famous father, confirmed MHH’s report, telling New Orleans’ WDSU-TV, “He’s really had this foot problem that’s been going on for five or six months.”
Again, this news should come as no surprise to readers of the Mile High Huddle. However, the question now is about where the Broncos go from here.

This week it appeared that Manning was on his way back to the field in the near future. He had practiced twice this week and by all accounts had looked sharp in his limited drill work. On Friday, however, Manning’s foot injury flared up again and he sat out practice.

Head coach Gary Kubiak (http://www.scout.com/player/93946-gary-kubiak) showed little concern about Manning’s setback following the Broncos workout.
“He came in this morning and was a little sore,” Kubiak said. “So we said, ‘Okay, we’ll stop for this weekend, and we’ll go from there.’ We’ll pick it up on Monday. It was nothing. It just happens.”

SR
12-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Ridiculous.

BroncoWave
12-19-2015, 09:41 AM
But he magically got healthy for the GB game? Not sure I buy this.

SR
12-19-2015, 09:43 AM
But he magically got healthy for the GB game? Not sure I buy this.

Not even sure he was healthy for that one. Just hid it better.

BroncoWave
12-19-2015, 09:53 AM
If this is something that really has been bothering him since the summer, and is already sore again after two practices after resting it for a month, I just don't see how it gets fully healthy again during the season. If Denver is really serious about not playing him again until he is 100%, I think he has started his last game as a Bronco.

Northman
12-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Not even sure he was healthy for that one. Just hid it better.

Yea, i think that game had a lot more to do with the problems GB has of their own vs Manning being "truly" healthy.

Northman
12-19-2015, 09:55 AM
If this is something that really has been bothering him since the summer, and is already sore again after two practices after resting it for a month, I just don't see how it gets fully healthy again during the season. If Denver is really serious about not playing him again until he is 100%, I think he has started his last game as a Bronco.

Agreed.

Slick
12-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Yea, i think that game had a lot more to do with the problems GB has of their own vs Manning being "truly" healthy.

I think GB had one healthy starter in their secondary in that game.

Going back to Manning at any point this season just reeks of desperation to me.

Northman
12-19-2015, 10:04 AM

I dont know if its even desperation. Just from a health standpoint for Manning it would make no sense because why would you put that guy at further risk with an injury that could affect his post football life? The NFL has always said it cares about player safety but yet here we are watching a team that is still trying to force a guy to come back when clearly he needs to stay off the field and get to 100%. We've already seen that Manning being banged up doesnt make the team any different than having a younger healthier guy out there so why take the chance of seriously injuring an older guy at this stage? Doesnt make sense to me.

Slick
12-19-2015, 10:08 AM
I dont know if its even desperation. Just from a health standpoint for Manning it would make no sense because why would you put that guy at further risk with an injury that could affect his post football life? The NFL has always said it cares about player safety but yet here we are watching a team that is still trying to force a guy to come back when clearly he needs to stay off the field and get to 100%. We've already seen that Manning being banged up doesnt make the team any different than having a younger healthier guy out there so why take the chance of seriously injuring an older guy at this stage? Doesnt make sense to me.

Desperation meaning thinking that he could somehow hide Denver's defiencies on offense.

Davii
12-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Yeah, this is aggravating. I believe it 100%, I saw the evidence. Why didn't Kubiak sit him right away? Did he try because he's convinced it's his last season? Who knows. Either way, if he wasn't healthy he shouldve sat, he Might've been able to reach 100%, now, he might not.

elsid13
12-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I am done with the Manning era in Denver. It was fun ride but it not worth the drama anymore.

OrangeHoof
12-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Maybe he just needed to break those last couple of career records...

Nomad
12-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I am done with the Manning era in Denver. It was fun ride but it not worth the drama anymore.

Agreed. Kubiak should come out, and say Osweiler is our #1. I don't get wound up over Manning either way, but the Coach should decide. We all know Manning will never be 100% healthy.....meaning he'll never be what he was 2, 3, 10 yrs ago.

I agree with Slick....it would be desperation to go back to Manning.

Nomad
12-19-2015, 12:02 PM

With this said....BRONCOS gotta figure out how to get touchdowns. FGs aren't going to get this team anywhere especially at Heinz Field. And while no one gives the Bengals QB(McCarron) any respect, I don't see the Steelers or Bengals giving Osweiler any respect as well. Oz will definitely have to prove himself these next couple weeks.

Shazam!
12-19-2015, 12:20 PM
He has been hurt since mid-season 2014 and hasn't been half the player he was since. This should be no surprise.

Mike
12-19-2015, 01:18 PM
This could be bad for the Broncos if Kubiak knew. I don't think they had Manning listed on any injury reports at the beginning of the year.

Poet
12-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I think the logic is that there have been many quarterbacks who played well through injuries for an extended time. The problem is that the examples that come to mind (at least for me) are guys who are in the mid 30's tops. Guys like McNabb, McNair, Favre, I think even Jeff Garcia.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I think the logic is that there have been many quarterbacks who played well through injuries for an extended time. The problem is that the examples that come to mind (at least for me) are guys who are in the mid 30's tops. Guys like McNabb, McNair, Favre, I think even Jeff Garcia.

Those are all examples of good athletes. Manning so dependant on planting hard when he throws it becomes very evident when he can't because his arm is so weak.

Poet
12-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Those are all examples of good athletes. Manning so dependant on planting hard when he throws it becomes very evident when he can't because his arm is so weak.

I don't disagree with you. I think Kubiak probably looked at him and just thought 'his mind can still do great things, he can overcome it for more year.'

McNair also was just the toughest player I've ever seen. His QBR went UP the more injured he was. He played a game with fractured ribs on both sides, and another game with a broken ankle IIRC.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-19-2015, 03:01 PM
This could be bad for the Broncos if Kubiak knew. I don't think they had Manning listed on any injury reports at the beginning of the year.

Article written Sept. 15th

Manning popped up on the Monday injury report for the Broncos in advance of Thursday night’s game against the Chiefs, with a back injury. Manning fully participated in practice with the ailment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/peyton-manning-pops-up-on-injury-report/

I'm guessing, but since this was the 2nd game of regular season, I would assume the Broncos put Peyton on each injury report, either being questionable, or probable, when they needed to.

And from Vic

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi Dec 17

I reported this 33 days ago. He came into camp with the plantar fascia issue.

Even though Vic reported this 33 days ago, do we know for certain when Peyton told the Broncos about it?
Did Peyton just tell the Broncos about it the same time Vic became aware of it?

Timmy!
12-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Buckle your seat belts, 18 starts against Cincy or Sandy eggo.

Northman
12-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Cant wait.

Timmy!
12-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Cant wait.

I think my prediction of a month about a month ago was spot on....shocking. #nostratimmy. Now after we lose Sunday the board will bitch and moan.....until about Wednesday when Kubes makes the announcement and everybody losses their shit.

Northman
12-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I think my prediction of a month about a month ago was spot on....shocking. #nostratimmy. Now after we lose Sunday the board will bitch and moan.....until about Wednesday when Kubes makes the announcement and everybody losses their shit.

Indeed. 3 straight losses to end the season will get everyone in a uproar.

Timmy!
12-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Indeed. 3 straight losses to end the season will get everyone in a uproar.

Naw we beat cincy and sandy eggo, and host pit in the AFC championship after the defense saves our asses against kc the week before.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't disagree with you. I think Kubiak probably looked at him and just thought 'his mind can still do great things, he can overcome it for more year.'

McNair also was just the toughest player I've ever seen. His QBR went UP the more injured he was. He played a game with fractured ribs on both sides, and another game with a broken ankle IIRC.

I agree, McNair was very underrated and likely made Fisher look better than he was. McNair was arguably a transcendent player. He was great and made those around him better.

Poet
12-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Naw we beat cincy and sandy eggo, and host pit in the AFC championship after the defense saves our asses against kc the week before.

If you guys can't beat Cincinnati with McCarron then I'd be confused as hell.

Valar Morghulis
12-19-2015, 04:05 PM

McCarron > Dalton

Slick
12-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Mo will be here shortly to un-jinx your jinx.

Poet
12-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Mo will be here shortly to un-jinx your jinx.

I wish it was a jinx lol.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-19-2015, 05:08 PM
from article:

"He came in [Friday] morning and was a little sore, so we just said, 'OK, we'll stop for the weekend and go from there,'" Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said after practice Friday. "We'll pick back up Monday. It just happened this morning, a decision we made with what we're doing [on Friday]."

Manning will travel with the team to Pittsburgh and Kubiak said Manning will most likely be on the Broncos sideline for the game.

"He'll make the trip, be a part of everything we're doing, be on the sidelines, I assume, sidelines or press box, but probably the sidelines,'' Kubiak said.

Manning's father, Archie, told WDSU in New Orleans the foot injury has bothered Peyton Manning for "five or six months.'' Peyton Manning, in his most expansive comments on the injury earlier this month, would only say the foot had bothered him "for a while.''

Manning also has said he suffered the tear in the plantar fascia during the Broncos' Nov. 8 loss in Indianapolis.

"I just heard about that,'' Kubiak said Friday of Archie Manning's comments. "I just know his foot's been sore since we left Indianapolis. So, it's something we've been dealing with, dealing with the right way and trying to get him back to where he feels really good and the progress has been very good.''

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14395648/denver-broncos-qb-peyton-manning-sits-practice-foot-soreness

CrazyHorse
12-19-2015, 11:48 PM
I figured. So there's some hope he's able to come back and play fully healthy like early 2014.

CrazyHorse
12-19-2015, 11:49 PM

I think Brock should start against a Dalton-less Bengals at home. Manning against the Chargers so we know what we got going into the playoffs. As long as we win our last 2 we're guaranteed a bye.

Dapper Dan
12-20-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm just happy we have 2 good quarterbacks, when a lot of teams don't have 1.

BroncoWave
12-20-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm just happy we have 2 good quarterbacks, when a lot of teams don't have 1.

Do we though? I still have no idea if we have 2 good quarterbacks or 0.

Dapper Dan
12-20-2015, 01:48 AM

Manning - I already know your opinion on him and we agree to disagree.

Oz - He's adequate right now. He's only started a few games and there's no substitute for experience. I believe he will get better as he gets more games under his belt.

Mike
12-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Manning still leads the league in ints despite being out the last few games. That's about all you need for that argument. Os is young and inexperienced...so you get some good mixed in with the bad. But there aren't that many teams that should be envious of Denver's QB situation.

BroncoWave
12-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Manning still leads the league in ints despite being out the last few games. That's about all you need for that argument. Os is young and inexperienced...so you get some good mixed in with the bad. But there aren't that many teams that should be envious of Denver's QB situation.

Yeah, I do like Os and think he's showed enough that he will at least be a serviceable pro QB, but as for just THIS season, I would not say we have the best QB situation.

BroncoWave
12-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I don't know if he's reporting this or it's just a hunch, but Vic seems pretty sure that Peyton isn't playing again:

Like I said last week, barring a Brock injury, we won't see PFM take another snap for the Broncos. Sad but true. And necessary.

www.twitter.com/viclombardi

Northman
12-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I don't know if he's reporting this or it's just a hunch, but Vic seems pretty sure that Peyton isn't playing again:

www.twitter.com/viclombardi (http://www.twitter.com/viclombardi)

At first i would of said i think he does come back but after healing for a month and then practicing only to get sore again im starting to think he wont be back. Which really, probably makes the most sense because Peyton's health should be the number one concern over anything else.

BroncoWave
12-20-2015, 11:33 AM
At first i would of said i think he does come back but after healing for a month and then practicing only to get sore again im starting to think he wont be back. Which really, probably makes the most sense because Peyton's health should be the number one concern over anything else.

Yeah, this is my thought too. If two light practices make his foot sore after resting for a month, there is no way he is close to ready to play a game.

Nomad
12-20-2015, 12:25 PM

I'm sure the Steelers and Bengals are saying the same about Osweiler. Hell, Im sure they're thinking, "if the Raiders can do it, we surely can do it."

slim
12-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Well, its confirmed from daddy Manning. I think everyone pretty much suspected it but now it really has me confused as to why Peyton was playing when he should of been healing up earlier in the year.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/story/1624560-manning-injury-goes-back-months

lol