PDA

View Full Version : Broncos reach out to Wolfe for contract extention

Northman
12-10-2015, 12:48 PM
http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/story/1621431-broncos-have-reached-out-de-derek-wolfe

Today, Denver Broncos (http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos) defensive end Derek Wolfe (http://www.scout.com/player/103439-derek-wolfe) appeared on "The Drive" of Denver's 104.3 the Fan (http://www.1043thefan.com/interviews/). He talked about many things, including what he's learned from defensive line coach Bill Kollar and new techniques for rushing the passer.
Eventually, host Darren McKee (https://twitter.com/dmac1043) got around to asking him a point-blank question about whether Wolfe would be willing to take a hometown discount to stay in Denver. Wolfe, who's in the last year of his rookie deal, was candid in his response.

"I'm gonna give 'em a discount, but I'm not gonna give 'em too big a discount, now," Wolfe replied.

McKee re-submitted his question to confirm. Would Wolfe be willing to take a little less money to stay in the Mile High City?

"Absolutely. A little bit, yeah," Wolfe replied. "I love it here. I love the city. I love everything about this place. I don't wanna have to leave."

However, when asked directly if the Broncos have contacted him about an extension, Wolfe was stoic.

"No comment. It's a good no comment."

According to sources close to the situation, Mile High Huddle has learned that the Broncos have indeed reached out to Wolfe about a contract extension. GM John Elway (http://www.scout.com/player/187210-john-elway)'s mantra is that he doesn't negotiate with players in-season, but we've learned from recent history that he's willing to make exceptions.

Davii
12-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Glad to hear it. I want to see Wolfe locked up long term, and hopefully we can do it without getting into an offseason bidding war. I think we need to make an offer to Brock as well.

Thanks for the post North!

Valar Morghulis
12-10-2015, 01:14 PM
What do we think is value is with the discount?

5 years - 30 mil - about 20 guaranteed?

wayninja
12-10-2015, 01:31 PM
I can't speak to the numbers, but Wolfe is underrated, that's for sure. I'm glad we are trying to lock him up.

VonDoom
12-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Nice find. It will be interesting to see if we can keep both him and Malik.

What do we think is value is with the discount?

5 years - 30 mil - about 20 guaranteed?

That guarantee might be a bit high, but I think the numbers sound right if there is a "discount" involved. Over the Cap had an article about upcoming FA DE's. Thin Air pulled out the relevant part here - the estimated value for Wolfe is 5 years, 33-37 million:

http://in-thinair.com/2015/12/08/jason-fitzgerald-projects-big-paydays-for-derek-wolfe-malik-jackson/

underrated29
12-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Elway is keeping this defense together by locking up guys now. Giving us multiple ways to work FA and make another excellent plan/budget for it.

Roughly 6 each for Malik and Wolfe. Marshall is still on a RFA...We can then offer Trev a solid deal and see if he takes it or walks. I expect Antonio to walk or retire. Von will take 18 or get tagged. That means we can then go after Brock and have plenty of money to sign the Role players and some FA Pro Bowlers like Elway always does. Cha-Ching!

underrated29
12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Nice find. It will be interesting to see if we can keep both him and Malik.

That guarantee might be a bit high, but I think the numbers sound right if there is a "discount" involved. Over the Cap had an article about upcoming FA DE's. Thin Air pulled out the relevant part here - the estimated value for Wolfe is 5 years, 33-37 million:

http://in-thinair.com/2015/12/08/jason-fitzgerald-projects-big-paydays-for-derek-wolfe-malik-jackson/

I do not see anyway we cannot keep anyone we want. Seriously.

Clady will restructure or be gone
Manning is gone
Ware will be like clady, likely retire
Colquitt is gone for sure. he has to. Just has too.
Mathis will be gone to me bets, or vasquez.

Thats like 46 mil right there + the 10 cap increase leaves us with $56 mil. and any roll over of about 5 is my guess. IF we want a player, we will keep him.

Slick
12-10-2015, 02:03 PM

Manning is gone

Thats like 46 mil right there + the 10 cap increase leaves us with $56 mil. and any roll over of about 5 is my guess. IF we want a player, we will keep him.

I agree. I realize that Brock and Von will eat a lot of that up but I still think they'll retain most everyone they want to. Trevathan and Marshall might be the tricky ones however. My biggest concern will be how they go about fixing the O line.

Slick
12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Wolfe has gotten better every year. I really hope they work something out.

TXBRONC
12-10-2015, 02:30 PM
I can't speak to the numbers, but Wolfe is underrated, that's for sure. I'm glad we are trying to lock him up.

I agree. He's thought of as a run stuffer but if it wasn't for the fact that Denver has a fleet of edge rushers he would probably put up number similar to what Justin Smith used to put up.

VonDoom
12-10-2015, 02:32 PM
I agree. I realize that Brock and Von will eat a lot of that up but I still think they'll retain most everyone they want to. Trevathan and Marshall might be the tricky ones however. My biggest concern will be how they go about fixing the O line.

Marshall is an RFA, I believe, so he shouldn't be a concern. I guess the question will be who we "want" to keep. I feel like we do this every year, when we say, "Oh, Elway will find the money to keep who he wants." We kept almost no one last year. It's not always as simple as looking at our available money and slotting guys in. Franklin and JT, to name a couple, are guys that we might have kept, but they got top of the market deals from other teams. If someone wants to pay Malik $9 million a year, will we go that high?

Ravage!!!
12-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't expect him to come down too much from expected offers at his position. He's not santa clause, and there isn't a need for him to give out a coupon to us purely because we want one.

Glad to see us making the steps to keep him here, though.

DenBronx
12-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Manning retiring is going to be key to keeping alot of these players on defense. With the cap going up that will most likely go straight to Brocks new deal but we MUST keep this defense nucleus together.

NightTerror218
12-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Vets and stop gap players get front loaded contracts. I see young core players getting a more level contract over the term of contract.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-10-2015, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't expect him to come down too much from expected offers at his position. He's not santa clause, and there isn't a need for him to give out a coupon to us purely because we want one.

Glad to see us making the steps to keep him here, though.

Agreed, he was a 2nd round draft pick. He likely wants future security in this contract.

MOtorboat
12-10-2015, 08:08 PM
The cap is reportedly going up $17 million. He's not going to be taking a discount.

Cugel
12-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Manning is gone

DeMarcus Ware has been their best defensive player this season. He was the NFL player of the month in September. He's coming back from injury this week.

Frankly, the key to the Broncos chances in the playoffs depends to a high degree upon Ware being healthy and effective. He's definitely worth his $.

They need to keep him next season.

Nor are all these other "savings" you mention going to be available.

Peyton's $15 M will come off the cap, but Osweiler's contract will eat up most of that, if not all of it. No significant savings there. Osweiler would actually command MORE than the average NFL starting QB salary - which is $14 M, if he continues to win.

Since it will cost them $2 M just to exercise their option to release Peyton, that's a NEGATIVE NET $ of -$1 M, instead of a savings. Of course, they could have signed Osweiler to around a $5 or $6 M a year contract prior to this season, but now that he's proven himself as a starter you can about triple that.

Since they didn't trade for Joe Thomas, Clady becomes important. He won't earn $10 M, but they have ZERO quality depth at LT. Ryan Harris and Tyler Polumbus are rentals. They need probably 3 new T's, since Michael Schofield doesn't look like a keeper either. If they don't re-sign Clady to a reduced contract, they are going to have to go out in FA and find another T or draft one, just to have any depth at all, and then somehow find a starting RT.

They might save $5 M of Clady's salary, but not all of that $10 M.

They can release Evan Mathis, and save $4.5 M, but they need 1 more starting G and a backup, and Max Garcia can only play 1 of the G positions. Louis Vasquez is getting old and looks bad this year. He hasn't had a really good year in several seasons now. They could decide to part ways with him rather than pay him $6.9 million next season.

That's a ridiculous salary for a worse than mediocre 31 year old T.

Von Miller will go from $9.5 million to $16.5 M+ so they need another $7 M.

Wolfe is going from $1.1 M to around $7 M. (Net -$6 M).

Then they have to re-sign Trevathan, Marshall, Bruton, C.J. Anderson, Ronnie Hillman and Vernon Davis.

They will have about $5 - $10 M more cap space next year, but there's no way they will get all those players under the cap for that.

Rick
12-10-2015, 09:39 PM
I love how you keep saying they could have signed Brock to 5 or 6 before season start.

How exactly do you know this? How exactly do you know they didn't try?

Why exactly would Brock have even agreed to that? He could have gone and entered FA and still got that, why not take the chance that he could play and make more...like is happening?

Who is this person within Brocks camp that is telling you he would have taken 5 or 6? Who is this person in Elways camp that is telling you they never tried?

wayninja
12-10-2015, 11:05 PM
DeMarcus Ware has been their best defensive player this season.

I disagree. You don't get points while you are out and he's been out half the season. He's a fantastic player, there is no doubt, but he simply can't be their best player when he hasn't played in half the games.

I think that honor goes to Von Miller.

TXBRONC
12-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Vets and stop gap players get front loaded contracts. I see young core players getting a more level contract over the term of contract.

Front loaded contract is what Elway prefers to do with all contracts.

TXBRONC
12-10-2015, 11:40 PM
DeMarcus Ware has been their best defensive player this season. He was the NFL player of the month in September. He's coming back from injury this week.

Frankly, the key to the Broncos chances in the playoffs depends to a high degree upon Ware being healthy and effective. He's definitely worth his $.

Peyton's $15 M will come off the cap, but Osweiler's contract will eat up most of that, if not all of it. No significant savings there. Osweiler would actually command MORE than the average NFL starting QB salary - which is $14 M, if he continues to win.

Since it will cost them $2 M just to exercise their option to release Peyton, that's a NEGATIVE NET $ of -$1 M, instead of a savings. Of course, they could have signed Osweiler to around a $5 or $6 M a year contract prior to this season, but now that he's proven himself as a starter you can about triple that.

Since they didn't trade for Joe Thomas, Clady becomes important. He won't earn $10 M, but they have ZERO quality depth at LT. Ryan Harris and Tyler Polumbus are rentals. They need probably 3 new T's, since Michael Schofield doesn't look like a keeper either. If they don't re-sign Clady to a reduced contract, they are going to have to go out in FA and find another T or draft one, just to have any depth at all, and then somehow find a starting RT.

They can release Evan Mathis, and save $4.5 M, but they need 1 more starting G and a backup, and Max Garcia can only play 1 of the G positions. Louis Vasquez is getting old and looks bad this year. He hasn't had a really good year in several seasons now. They could decide to part ways with him rather than pay him $6.9 million next season.

Then they have to re-sign Trevathan, Marshall, Bruton, C.J. Anderson, Ronnie Hillman and Vernon Davis.

They will have about $5 - $10 M more cap space next year, but there's no way they will get all those players under the cap for that.

Cugel you sure have changed your tune. Back in the preseason you said Denver wasn't really interested in keeping Osweiler now you're being critical saying the could have re-signed him 5 or 6 million. Not even then would that happened Osweiler isn't stupid.

Northman
12-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Cugel you sure have changed your tune. Back in the preseason you said Denver wasn't really interested in keeping Osweiler now you're being critical saying the could have re-signed him 5 or 6 million. Not even then would that happened Osweiler isn't stupid.

You noticed that to huh? lmao

DenBronx
12-11-2015, 08:39 AM

You noticed that to huh? lmao

Aren't you glad I had him in my mock draft then everyone else followed? Even Elway? He steals my ideas all of the time.

BroncoJoe
12-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Also coming "off" the books are the current salaries of these players. Osweiler at $1.1 million, Wolfe at $1.4 million, and Von at $9.7 million. Obviously, those numbers will be replaced with higher ones, but that has to be taken into consideration as well.

Example: If you upgrade your house, and go from a $1,500 payment to $1,700, it's only costing you an additional $200.

BroncoJoe
12-11-2015, 09:29 AM
It looks like there's another $6.5 million that should come off the books in dead money this year.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

underrated29
12-11-2015, 10:00 AM

It's highly unlikely ware will come back. Manning won't have dead money if he retires, which he will....burton will cost peanuts, and I'm pretty sure we have him for a few more years, maybe not. Anderson is not a FA. Marshal is not a FA. Schoefield will be a guard, as I've said since we drafted him. Clary will be back cheap or Joe Thomas will be ours, bet ya. Ty is the RT and we will draft depth. Oz will be cheaper then Peyton. Wolfe and Malik will go up 6-8 a piece. Von will go up 9-12. It's more than doable.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-11-2015, 10:04 AM
It's highly unlikely ware will come back. Manning won't have dead money if he retires, which he will....burton will cost peanuts, and I'm pretty sure we have him for a few more years, maybe not. Anderson is not a FA. Marshal is not a FA. Schoefield will be a guard, as I've said since we drafted him. Clary will be back cheap or Joe Thomas will be ours, bet ya. Ty is the RT and we will draft depth. Oz will be cheaper then Peyton. Wolfe and Malik will go up 6-8 a piece. Von will go up 9-12. It's more than doable.

Who are these Burton and Clary characters?

Ravage!!!
12-11-2015, 10:09 AM
It's highly unlikely ware will come back. Manning won't have dead money if he retires, which he will....

wanna bet?

underrated29
12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
wanna bet?

Sure, name your terms

underrated29
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM
wanna bet?

Wait, which part specifically? He won't be back....he will retire?......both?

Ravage!!!
12-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Sure, name your terms

just to be clear, you believe Manning will retire from the NFL after this season, and won't play for another team....correct?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-11-2015, 10:36 AM
just to be clear, you believe Manning will retire from the NFL after this season, and won't play for another team....correct?

Rav with the cross examination. :D

Davii
12-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Wait, which part specifically? He won't be back....he will retire?......both?

That red Skittles are FAR superior to yellow Skittles!

Ravage!!!
12-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Rav with the cross examination. :D

Hah.. well..... when it comes to betting, people like to use strange wording as ways to claim loopholes!

TXBRONC
12-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Aren't you glad I had him in my mock draft then everyone else followed? Even Elway? He steals my ideas all of the time.

Delusions of Grandeur?

I'm kidding Den. 'Regardless, I'm glad the Broncos drafted him I think Osweiler is going to be good and hopefully a great quarterback.

BroncoNut
12-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I hope the organization can make a deal. I like Mr. Wolfe a lot

underrated29
12-11-2015, 11:24 AM

haha with the self salute too. lol

My beliefs are this:

if we win the SB - manning will retire
Manning will not be on our team next year.

Now that I have more clearly defined what I mean, if you still care to bet, I am game. If not I understand as it was not worded very well.

VonDoom
12-11-2015, 11:29 AM
I hope the organization can make a deal. I like Mr. Wolfe a lot

Calling him "Mr. Wolfe" made me think of this guy:

NightTrainLayne
12-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Marcellus: You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the mother******. Go back in there, chill them n****** out and wait for the Wolf who should be coming directly.

Jules: Shit Negro! That's all you had to say!

BroncoNut
12-11-2015, 11:43 AM

me too. what I've always liked about Derek Wolfe is that he solves problems

wayninja
12-11-2015, 11:55 AM
me too. what I've always liked about Derek Wolfe is that he solves problems

That's why I always forgive him for being so curt. Time is usually a factor.

Timmy!
12-11-2015, 03:43 PM
It's been a pleasure watching Mr. Wolfe work

BroncoNut
12-11-2015, 04:49 PM
That's why I always forgive him for being so curt. Time is usually a factor.

Curt. that's the word Tubby didn't know the definition of

Ravage!!!
12-11-2015, 04:58 PM
haha with the self salute too. lol

My beliefs are this:

if we win the SB - manning will retire
Manning will not be on our team next year.

Now that I have more clearly defined what I mean, if you still care to bet, I am game. If not I understand as it was not worded very well.

This has changed everything from your previous comment, unless you firmly believe that we win the Super Bowl this year.

I think either way, Manning isn't with the Broncos next season. But do you believe Manning retires if we don't win the Super Bowl?

underrated29
12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
This has changed everything from your previous comment, unless you firmly believe that we win the Super Bowl this year.

I think either way, Manning isn't with the Broncos next season. But do you believe Manning retires if we don't win the Super Bowl?

I do. I think we win and he goes the Elway route.

Ravage!!!
12-11-2015, 06:10 PM
I do. I think we win and he goes the Elway route.

I see.

Well that changes everything, then. I too ,believe that if we win the super Bowl... he retires. If not, he'll go play for another team (possibly NO) for one season before retiring....but either way, will not be on the Broncos roster next year.

HOWEVER... while I believe that, that could very well change depending on how the rest of this season goes.

underrated29
12-11-2015, 07:08 PM
yep, he wont be here next year. If he breaks the record he may be retire regardless

SR
12-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Peyton won't play another year of football for any team in any scenario and I think he already knows that.

Now, if he comes back healthy and plays like Peyton Manning of Sept-Nov 2014 then the script changes.

Cugel
12-11-2015, 08:51 PM

If the Broncos win the SB, but Manning doesn't play, does he retire? I doubt it. He wants to prove he can still play.

And he's right, but only for a team that can protect him with a good pass-blocking OL. And he can only play for a team that will be willing to allow him to run his offense. I don't know if any team will do that, but considering that at least about 5 coaches will be fired every year there are some teams that have nothing to lose.

Peyton has averaged 12 wins a season his entire career. There's no reason to think he couldn't win 10 or more games for a team if he could stay healthy. But, can he stay healthy? Only if the team that takes him has a really good OL.

Ironically, that team could be Cleveland. They don't have a QB and finding one isn't easy. If Mike Pettinine stays he'll have only 1 more year to turn things around in Cleveland. Only he won't have a QB.

If he drafts one, that QB will be only a rookie. We've seen what happens when raw rookies get thrown in with bad teams. It's never good.

Having Peyton on your team would help them by letting the rookie develop for a time before having to step in and play. But, for that to work, they would have to keep Peyton healthy by being able to block, and give him some weapons.

Ironically, the Browns have Joe Thomas and a really good OL. That's about all they have though.

I don't think Cleveland would do it, but that's the kind of situation Manning would have to go to. Unless he just wants to go out on his terms, by proving that he can still play, I don't see him doing it. He really has nothing to prove.

Cugel
12-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Peyton won't play another year of football for any team in any scenario and I think he already knows that.

Now, if he comes back healthy and plays like Peyton Manning of Sept-Nov 2014 then the script changes.

The question is two-fold.

One - Does Peyton believe he can still play like the Peyton of September 2014?

Two - Can he convince any other team? He's clearly not coming back to the Broncos. That ship sailed.

But, would some team be willing to take a risk on Peyton if he's completely healthy? Maybe. That would depend on the situation. Brett Favre went to NY and Minnesota. There could be a team lacking in a QB which might want Peyton for a year.

After all, he can point to the Packers game this season as indication what he can still do if he has a healthy OL to block for him, a running game, some targets to throw to, and if he's completely healthy.