PDA

View Full Version : Jackson or Wolfe?

Jsteve01
12-06-2015, 05:24 PM
A lot of people on this board have made it seem like it's a foregone conclusion that Jackson is the obvious pick. I don't think we saw the real Wolfe . All of last year after was coming off the horrendous health care from the previous year. If you compare numbers between them so far this year. Jackson has a sack and a half more in 4 more games. And Wolf actually in four fewer games has more tackles. I've been a real fan since we drafted him and I know that there's a lot of sentiment that says that Jackson is the guy. if I could only choose one guy based on what I've seen this year Wolfe is the more well rounded player. & I think another year in Wade Phillips system with the new defensive line staff could turn him into that eight sack season guy plus being a much more solid run defender and tackler thanJackson.

chazoe60
12-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Wolfe all the way for me.

DenBronx
12-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Wolfe.

SR
12-06-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't think it has to be one or the other.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Wolfe. But I'm with SR, don't think that we have to decide between em.

DenBronx
12-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Malik likes to jump offsides and allow SD to keep driving.

broncobryce
12-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Tough call. Jackson might be slightly better but makes bonehead plays. Then you've got the PED suspension for Wolfe to think about. Could go either way for either one of them.

Rick
12-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Both.

Dapper Dan
12-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I think they're both very good players and we would be lucky to have either.

VonDoom
12-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Not sure we'll have to choose, but for the sake of argument ... I wanted Malik before the start of the year but Wolfe has played his best football ever after the suspension. I'd pick him if I had to.

OrangeFanatic
12-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I don't think it has to be one or the other.

This. Wolfe seems to be in on every run stop. Why not utilize them both.

underrated29
12-06-2015, 08:48 PM
We will have enough money to keep both if we want

Dzone
12-06-2015, 08:50 PM
They are both great. Wolfe is way better than I thought he would be. Wolfe is an impact player.
Malik Jackson is a damn freak.

NightTerror218
12-06-2015, 09:06 PM
They are both great. Wolfe is way better than I thought he would be. Wolfe is an impact player.
Malik Jackson is a damn freak.

I agree with this. But in the last few games Wolfe is all over the ace and have seen less of Jackson impact.

Cugel
12-07-2015, 12:14 AM
A lot of people on this board have made it seem like it's a foregone conclusion that Jackson is the obvious pick. I don't think we saw the real Wolfe . All of last year after was coming off the horrendous health care from the previous year. If you compare numbers between them so far this year. Jackson has a sack and a half more in 4 more games. And Wolf actually in four fewer games has more tackles. I've been a real fan since we drafted him and I know that there's a lot of sentiment that says that Jackson is the guy. if I could only choose one guy based on what I've seen this year Wolfe is the more well rounded player. & I think another year in Wade Phillips system with the new defensive line staff could turn him into that eight sack season guy plus being a much more solid run defender and tackler thanJackson.

Well, they are both unrestricted FAs at the end of this season. To keep both would take around $12 M a year plus.

Elway's blunder was in not locking up Brock Osweiler before the season, which he could have done for about $5 M a year, perhaps a $10 M guarantee, and with every win his salary demands are only going up - to somewhere between $12 and $15 M a year (NFL average) or MORE.

Then they need to give Von Miller around a $16 M a year contract soit's going to be very difficult to keep both Wolfe & Jackson. They might lose both, but I expect they will at least try and keep one of them.

Of course, Peyton Manning's $15 M will come off the salary cap, but Brock alone will eat up most of that and Miller will get the rest. They will have to pay Peyton $2 M next season if they don't renew his contract (a foregone conclusion at this point), so that's $13 M savings. Not even enough to pay Von, let alone Brock.

Ryan Clady will also be traded or released, so his $10 M comes off the cap too, but the total savings ($23 M) will leave them at least $13 M short of what they need to re-sign Von & Brock, and that doesn't begin to address Malik Jackson and Wolfe, both of whom will want big $.

Each should get somewhere north of $6 M a year. It could be more of course, but it's unlikely to be less.

I have no idea how they manage all this. They are going to lose some very good players off their defense next off-season.

TXBRONC
12-07-2015, 12:18 AM
If push comes to shove I would take Wolfe over Jackson.

Traveler
12-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Definitely Jackson if I had to choose. You don't pay $6-8 million per year for a guy who is primarily an run stopper. Yes, Jackson occasionally makes some bonehead plays. But he is a better fit for Wade's defense.

TXBRONC
12-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Definitely Jackson if I had to choose. You don't pay $6-8 million per year for a guy who is primarily an run stopper. Yes, Jackson occasionally makes some bonehead plays. But he is a better fit for Wade's defense.

Wolfe has almost as many sacks as Jackson does but has played one quarter of the season less than Jackson. They're both good fits for this offense but I would take Wolfe over Jackson because I think he more versatile. The defensive ends that helped the Steelers win two of their last three Super Bowls (Brett Keisel and Kimo von Oelhoffen) were not sacks artists. There main job was to play the run.

Traveler
12-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Wolfe has almost as many sacks as Jackson does but has played one quarter of the season less than Jackson. They're both good fits for this offense but I would take Wolfe over Jackson because I think he more versatile. The defensive ends that helped the Steelers win two of their last three Super Bowls (Brett Keisel and Kimo von Oelhoffen) were not sacks artists. There main job was to play the run.

Agree to disagree. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the team decides after the season.

VonDoom
12-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I've seen this in a couple of places today. Keep this in mind, especially those who say, "We can sign everyone we want!"

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2h2 hours ago

Interesting to see Packers DE Mike Daniels sign a 4 year, $42 million extension today. Folks, Malik Jackson is likely going to get more.

For perspective, Jason Fitzgerald projected Daniels would get four years at $25M to $29M. Oops.

At any rate, the bar is now set for guys like Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe, and tells me that, even with the Broncos cutting Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware and Britton Colquitt, they aren’t going to be able to keep both Jackson and Wolfe.

Unless you want to cut Ryan Clady, too. And after yesterday’s game, I think most of you will be hesitant to do that.

http://in-thinair.com/2015/12/14/bar-has-been-set-for-jackson-and-wolfe/

To add on to that last point, even if it's not Clady, we're going to be paying SOME LT close to $10 million to lock down that side; at least I hope so, after what we've seen this year.

SR
12-14-2015, 08:18 PM
If Jackson and/or Wolfe think they're getting $10M per season, they're high. They're $5-7M per season guys. Elway won't pay ether of them more than that.

VonDoom
12-14-2015, 09:26 PM
If Jackson and/or Wolfe think they're getting $10M per season, they're high. They're $5-7M per season guys. Elway won't pay ether of them more than that.

I guess we'll see what they actually get. Did you think Franklin would get $9 million? Either way, I'm not saying we should pay them that much but if someone is willing to, we won't be able to keep them

tomjonesrocks
12-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Tough call. Jackson might be slightly better but makes bonehead plays. Then you've got the PED suspension for Wolfe to think about. Could go either way for either one of them.

Wolfe has come back as a force which is fantastic but you have to think about the PED bust and the mystery ailment that he struggled with for over a year. There's definitely some oddities to some of what Wolfe has brought to the team so when he says he's not going to give Denver "too much of a discount" I kinda don't love it.

It's a bummer though because like JT I hate it when the team sticks with a guy until he gets to the point where he can get paid and he walks.

Ziggy
12-14-2015, 09:36 PM
I guess we'll see what they actually get. Did you think Franklin would get $9 million? Either way, I'm not saying we should pay them that much but if someone is willing to, we won't be able to keep them

Orlando got 7 mill/year. Daniels got overpaid. It's probably going to cost the Broncos either Wolfe, Jackson, or both.

VonDoom
12-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Orlando got 7 mill/year. Daniels got overpaid. It's probably going to cost the Broncos either Wolfe, Jackson, or both.

I don't know why I thought it was 9 million. In any case, that was still a larger contract than we were going to give him; same with JT, obviously. It's likely this happens to Jackson or Wolfe.

Daniels' deal is about 4 million a year. He's been kind of disappointing (like most of our offense) but I don't think that was a huge overpay or anything. We needed SOMEONE to play TE. I don't know if that will impact Wolfe and Jackson's deals

SR
12-14-2015, 10:02 PM

I guess I should rephrase: they won't get $10M from Denver.

Ziggy
12-14-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't know why I thought it was 9 million. In any case, that was still a larger contract than we were going to give him; same with JT, obviously. It's likely this happens to Jackson or Wolfe.

Daniels' deal is about 4 million a year. He's been kind of disappointing (like most of our offense) but I don't think that was a huge overpay or anything. We needed SOMEONE to play TE. I don't know if that will impact Wolfe and Jackson's deals

I was talking about Mike Daniels new contract with Green Bay.

NightTerror218
12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Right now Wolfe is out playing jackson. Wolfe is half a sack behind, more tackles and has played in less games. Run defense took a huge step forward with him back in line up.

VonDoom
12-14-2015, 10:25 PM
I was talking about Mike Daniels new contract with Green Bay.

Sorry, I see now. And yes, I totally agree - that's why I brought it up. Overpaid or not, that will impact the market for our guys

VonDoom
12-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I guess I should rephrase: they won't get $10M from Denver.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Elway is smart - he won't over pay out of desperation

WARHORSE
12-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Wolfe is my pick concerning play because I think hes only now coming into his own with Bill coaching him. I think he still can get better.

Every 3-4 defense out there is licking their chops on getting Wolfe. Hes in his prime.

Dapper Dan
12-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Carol said that Elway stated if Wolfe and Jackson remain the same on the amount of money they want then we can't keep them both. Bummer.

DenBronx
12-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Wolfe is my pick concerning play because I think hes only now coming into his own with Bill coaching him. I think he still can get better.

Every 3-4 defense out there is licking their chops on getting Wolfe. Hes in his prime.

Wolfe is my choice as well. Too bad Shaq Barret couldn't step in if we lose one of these guys to FA. Then that lets Shane Ray get more playing time at OLB. I think Ray is pretty damn explosive too.

But Wolfe seems to step up in big games and that has to go for something.

Dapper Dan
12-29-2015, 05:47 PM
I highly doubt we are able to talk Jackson down on his contract numbers. I'd say he's looking to get paid. How's 4 year contract was for under $3 million, while Wolfe's was just over $6 million. Both of these guys will see a lot more money soon. I'd only be really upset if both left. I'd be happy with keeping either.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-29-2015, 05:50 PM
I highly doubt we are able to talk Jackson down on his contract numbers. I'd say he's looking to get paid. How's 4 year contract was for under $3 million, while Wolfe's was just over $6 million. Both of these guys will see a lot more money soon. I'd only be really upset if both left. I'd be happy with keeping either.

I like both, but I think Wolfe has more of a motor. I'm not suggesting Malik doesn't have a motor, but Wolfe's motor is really intense.

Buff
12-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Wolfe doesn't take as many dumb penalties, so I'll give him the edge. I get the impression that neither of them are mentally stable, which is exactly what you're looking for in a defensive lineman.

Dapper Dan
12-29-2015, 08:50 PM
Wolfe doesn't take as many dumb penalties, so I'll give him the edge. I get the impression that neither of them are mentally stable, which is exactly what you're looking for in a defensive lineman.

Jackson was never suspended for 4 games.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Jackson was never suspended for 4 games.

Jackson never had to recover from a life threatening spinal injury. I believe Wolfe was trying to put weight back on from the spinal injury.

TXBRONC
12-29-2015, 08:51 PM

I think Wolfe is the better player but if he goes and Jackson stays I would be ok with it.