PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Salary Cap

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3h

NFL told team execs at this week’s owners meetings that 2016 salary cap projects between $150-$153.4 million, per sources. Cap now $143.28M.

DenBronx
12-04-2015, 09:12 PM
And will of course get eaten up by Brock and Millers new contracts.

Now if Manning retires we will be in good shape cap wise.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2015, 09:16 PM
And will of course get eaten up by Brock and Millers new contracts.

Now if Manning retires we will be in good shape cap wise.

I think the chances of him returning next year are slim to none.

Rick
12-04-2015, 10:51 PM
As much as Ware has been injured this year I expect a restructuring or pay cut there, and more than likely a restructure or pay cut for Clady. Between those and Manning release/retire we will have plenty for Brock and Miller and still have all the extra cap.

Dapper Dan
12-04-2015, 11:34 PM
If everyone's cap is going up, then will that really give us an advantage? Yeah, we might have another 10 million, but so does the team trying to lure players away.

underrated29
12-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Manning is gone. 15-20 mil savings
Clady is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings
Ware is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings
Owen Daniels same above 1-4 mil savings
Colquitt sucks- infinite savings
Vasquez gone 6 mil savings
Other scrubs gone- 3 mil savings
Caldwell gone - water consumption savings
Antonio smith gone - 1 mil,savings?

Miller, trev, Wolfe, Malik, Vernon, walker, bossweiler, are all guys we can keep if we want. Trev may walk in FA. We are able to keep any and all players, should we choose....plus, I'm sure we will add a few Pro Bowl players in FA as per typical Elway M.O.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Manning is gone. 15-20 mil savings
Clady is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings
Ware is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings
Owen Daniels same above 1-4 mil savings
Colquitt sucks- infinite savings
Vasquez gone 6 mil savings
Other scrubs gone- 3 mil savings
Caldwell gone - water consumption savings
Antonio smith gone - 1 mil,savings?

Miller, trev, Wolfe, Malik, Vernon, walker, bossweiler, are all guys we can keep if we want. Trev may walk in FA. We are able to keep any and all players, should we choose....plus, I'm sure we will add a few Pro Bowl players in FA as per typical Elway M.O.

I don't understand dropping Vasquez.

Joel
12-05-2015, 07:51 AM
I don't understand dropping Vasquez.
Yeah, I doubt that happens. But he's a Kuperesque player in that he's an excellent protector but mediocre run blocker, so I think I understand whence that prediction comes. But Vasquez is still fairly young, plays well and knows the system now; we won't do better for less, even at guard (and our team actually values guards.)

I personally doubt Ware restructures either, though the back injury that's lingered since at least 2013 may prompt his retirement intead, with similar effect. Otherwise, I expect we'll do our best to keep him, and the easiest way is to leave his contract alone. Barrett and (possibly) Ray are great, but Wares calm wise leadership may be worth as much as his play, because lots of our defenders started doing lots of STUPID stuff almost the moment he was hurt.

If Daniels walks or restructures, it'll only be because we paid Vernon Davis, which is fine by me, but won't represent much savings.

We won't pay Clady $10 million to play on a leg held together by bandaids, bubblegum and hope, no, and he may not take a restructure; the $5-10 mil sounds right either way.

The big ticket items are clear, so a lot depends on what Clady and Ware do, or we do with them; cutting either would save us exactly $10 mil, so the pair would trim slightly more than the $19 mil Manning's slotted in for next year. That's ¼ of even the projected larger cap, and could pay a loooot more than three players.

SR
12-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Manning is gone. 15-20 mil savings Clady is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings Ware is restructured or gone 5-10 mil savings Owen Daniels same above 1-4 mil savings Colquitt sucks- infinite savings Vasquez gone 6 mil savings Other scrubs gone- 3 mil savings Caldwell gone - water consumption savings Antonio smith gone - 1 mil,savings? Miller, trev, Wolfe, Malik, Vernon, walker, bossweiler, are all guys we can keep if we want. Trev may walk in FA. We are able to keep any and all players, should we choose....plus, I'm sure we will add a few Pro Bowl players in FA as per typical Elway M.O.

Vasquez gone? He's one of the best RGs in football. Lock his ass up.

Dapper Dan
12-05-2015, 10:05 AM
He missed the whole Patriots game and the offense looked better without him.

Joel
12-05-2015, 10:57 AM
That's because we primarily ran; as a pass blocker, Vasquez is one of the best. That's only half his job, and traditionally the less important half for a guard, but the flip side is that inexperience with complex NFL pass rushes is a big part of what delayed Garcias entry to the lineup. Developing Oz (or whomever) into the franchise QB we need will require time for him to settle into and learn that role without a 320 lb. NT falling on him 2 seconds after every snap.

underrated29
12-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Vasquez gone? He's one of the best RGs in football. Lock his ass up.

He is not a very good fit in the zbs that kubes runs. He is also making a lot! When mad max filled in for him last week the run game really took off. If we weren't running kubes scheme I would agree completely, my hunch is he is gone.

VonDoom
12-05-2015, 11:34 AM
If everyone's cap is going up, then will that really give us an advantage? Yeah, we might have another 10 million, but so does the team trying to lure players away.

Exactly. Plus players (and agents) know they can get more money when there's more to go around. It's not really an advantage for any team.

SR
12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
He is not a very good fit in the zbs that kubes runs. He is also making a lot! When mad max filled in for him last week the run game really took off. If we weren't running kubes scheme I would agree completely, my hunch is he is gone.

How many big runs went right?

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Hillman's TD run was to the right.

Joel
12-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Hillmans TD did. But Vasquez is our best inside pass protector, a job Garcia does poorly, and Oz needs that: 11 sacks in 2 games isn't a good way to develop a young QB.

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Hillmans TD did. But Vasquez is our best inside pass protector, a job Garcia does poorly, and Oz needs that: 11 sacks in 2 games isn't a good way to develop a young QB.

It's also plausible that the 11 sacks in 2 games is because he's a young QB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Hillman's TD run was to the right.

It was a sweep to the left.

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 01:51 PM
It was a sweep to the left.

You're thinking of Anderson's run.

m-pyEiEiNqw

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 02:08 PM
You're thinking of Anderson's run.

m-pyEiEiNqw
That format isn't working on my phone. Which game is that, because the only long run by Hillman I can find on youtube is against the Vikings and it goes to the left

Joel
12-05-2015, 02:14 PM
It's also plausible that the 11 sacks in 2 games is because he's a young QB.
It surely contributed, but youthful inexperience didn't cause Mannings 15 sacks in 9 games, nor his torn ligament.

Joel
12-05-2015, 02:22 PM
That format isn't working on my phone. Which game is that, because the only long run by Hillman I can find on youtube is against the Vikings and it goes to the left
It was our first TD, midway through the 2nd qtr. In retrospect, a critical drive, because it not only got us back in the game, but burned nearly 6:00 so Belicheat opted to just run out the clock with 3 runs up the gut when he got the ball back just before 2:00; if they race down for a quick answering TD, or even pick up a few first downs to reach FG range, we're in trouble, especially when their next TD makes it 24-7 at the start of the 4th: Only running after that is Oz, for his life.

At the risk of stat-whoring, PFR says (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201511290den.htm) we ran right 11 times for 51 yds and that TD vs. NE*, left 12 times for 108 yds and Andersons TDs, and up the gut 9 times for 20 yds.

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 02:25 PM

https://youtu.be/m-pyEiEiNqw

It was the Patriots game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 02:31 PM
https://youtu.be/m-pyEiEiNqw

It was the Patriots game.

It would be remiss for me not to mention Davis made the key block to spring Hillman on that play.

BroncoJoe
12-06-2015, 09:31 AM
It would be remiss for me not to mention Davis made the key block to spring Hillman on that play.

He also sealed the edge on Anderson's score in OT to the left.

If JT were still here, those scores would not have happened.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Why isn't he a fit for ZBS, he's just as good as any lineman they currently have? On par athletically with Max Garcia, Michael Schofield and the so-called "great athlete" Sambrailo, who btw, proves that you don't need the great athletes that everybody/Broncos keep saying they need.

Also, he ran a ton of zone in SD, just like the Ravens did under Kubiak.

Cugel
12-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Other FAs the Broncos are going to have to figure out whether they want to try and re-sign next season:

CJ Anderson, restricted FA.
Omar Bolden, UFA
David Bruton, UFA
Andre Caldwell, UFA
Ryan Clady - due $9.5 M next year
Britton Colquitt - $3.6 M in 2016
Owen Daniels - $3 M + $500k roster bonus in March
Vernon Davis - UFA
Virgil Green - $2.4 M contract in 2016
Ronnie Hillman - UFA
Brandon Marshall - RFA
Evan Mathis, UFA
Brandon McManus - Exclusive rights FA
Tyler Polumbus - UFA
Antonio Smith - UFA
Danny Trevathan - UFA
Demarcus Ware - due $10 M for 2016
Derek Wolfe - UFA

That's a horribly long list. They are going to have to let some of these guys go. Maybe a lot of them. The worst problems highlighted in red.

I suppose Vernon Davis isn't going to get more $ than his 2015 salary of $4.5M so that might not be a problem. And they could probably afford to lose either Hillman or CJ Anderson, though losing both would cause some problems.

Evan Mathis is likely gone, (he'll be 35) so they save $2.2 M there.

They desperately need to re-sign Von Miller, Trevathan and Brandon Marshall.

Maybe they could stand to replace EITHER Wolfe or Malik Jackson, but not both.
I thought this was going to be the last year for Ware, but he is their best defensive player this season, including the defensive player of the month for September, so he's far from washed up. Hard to see them releasing him, but $10 M is rather a lot when he's been hurt a lot.

Cugel
12-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Then there are the following issues:

Obviously Peyton won't be back so, they save $15 M - $2 M to not renew his contract = cap savings $13M. They are going to pay all that and more to Brock Osweiler if he continues to win.

Ryan Clady is due $9.5 M. He's been hurt 2 out of the last 3 seasons, missing entire seasons, and he's over 30. They drafted Sambrailo to replace him, so $9.5 M off the cap there.

Von Miller - is going to cost somewhere around $16 M a season. He's making $9.75 M this season, so they're going to need another $7 million there or so.

Malik Jackson - earning $660k. He's going to want more than $6 M a year and someone is going to pay it. So, they'd need another $5+ million here.

Derek Wolfe - $1.1 M. He's developed into a pass-rusher, which is exceptional for a 3-4 DE. He's also going to want > $6 M a year and get it. So, that's at least another $5+ million to keep him.

Britton Colquitt - not worth the $3.4 M he's due in 2016, so that's a savings, but they're going to have to find another punter. So, perhaps $2 M savings?

Owen Daniels - will be 34 next season. Kubiak loves him, but his numbers are eminently replaceable. No way they give him a big $ contract. Hopefully they replace him with rookie Jeff Heuerman. That's $4 M in savings.

Vernon Davis - Probably gets a contract somewhere close to the $4 million he got this season, so cap neutral.

Brandon Marshall - $585k for 2015. He's leading the team in tackles. He's going to want $6M plus too.

Danny Trevathan - Goes from $660k to around $6 M++ Could be a lot more.

IF the Broncos don't pay these guys somebody else will. They are a huge reason the defense has been so good. There's just no weaknesses at all with the D-line and LBs so completely solid:

NOBODY in the NFL has a better set of LBs than Ware, Miller, Trevathan and Marshall. It would really hurt to lose any of them. Corey Nelson and Todd Davis don't remotely make adequate substitutes.

Frankly, Shaquil Barrett could fill in for Ware next season as he has, but it's still a noticeable loss when he's not in there.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2015, 02:06 AM
At 6 million each, we wouldn't bring back Marshall and Trevathan, both.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2015, 11:42 AM
At 6 million each, we wouldn't bring back Marshall and Trevathan, both.

I think we would be fine if we can just bring one back. We have good depth with Nelson and Davis. I believe Davis would probably start for a lotof teams

underrated29
12-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Brandon Marshall is a RFA- we can wait on him if we want. Or get significant picks out of him.

Vaz- I love him, but he is struggling in this system. He is not his normal pro-bowl self. He is still a stud, but its not right. He is making lots of $$ and while he is much better in pass pro he is worse in run game. I think the Broncos take the lower salary and upside on mad max and let him walk. Maybe since, mathis is going to walk we keep vaz and run mad max off the LG. Maybe schofield runs off the LG, Ty is the RG and we do ultimately trade for Joe Thomas in the offseason (my first choice).

Cugel
12-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Brandon Marshall is a RFA- we can wait on him if we want. Or get significant picks out of him.

Vaz- I love him, but he is struggling in this system. He is not his normal pro-bowl self. He is still a stud, but its not right. He is making lots of $$ and while he is much better in pass pro he is worse in run game. I think the Broncos take the lower salary and upside on mad max and let him walk. Maybe since, mathis is going to walk we keep vaz and run mad max off the LG. Maybe schofield runs off the LG, Ty is the RG and we do ultimately trade for Joe Thomas in the offseason (my first choice).

If they were going to trade for Joe Thomas, they would have done it. I doubt whether Cleveland is going to make that mistake twice, especially since coach Mike Pettine should soon lose his job. People are used to how horrible things are in Cleveland, but they just lost to every other team in the division in consecutive games.

Any new coach coming in is going to say "What??? Trade Joe Thomas just when we are drafting a new QB? Are you insane??"

underrated29
12-07-2015, 02:50 PM
If they were going to trade for Joe Thomas, they would have done it. I doubt whether Cleveland is going to make that mistake twice, especially since coach Mike Pettine should soon lose his job. People are used to how horrible things are in Cleveland, but they just lost to every other team in the division in consecutive games.

Any new coach coming in is going to say "What??? Trade Joe Thomas just when we are drafting a new QB? Are you insane??"

It has been mentioned many times when the trade almost went through that they would likely revisit the trade in the offseason. Not saying it will happen or the browns would be smart to do so, but I bet Elway calls on him again. Elways has been chasing Joe T for a while now.

NightTerror218
12-07-2015, 04:44 PM
I think vasquez is struggling due to young line. Garcia will be the left guard and Vasquez will be the right guard. Next year Clady and Sambrailo as tackles and line will be so much better.

Cugel
12-07-2015, 05:10 PM
It has been mentioned many times when the trade almost went through that they would likely revisit the trade in the offseason. Not saying it will happen or the browns would be smart to do so, but I bet Elway calls on him again. Elways has been chasing Joe T for a while now.

Well, I certainly hope you're right, because Elway royally screwed the pooch by turning down that deal!

That was a straight no violation of the P.T. Barnum Rule: "Never give a sucker an even break." He also reportedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute, usually in Cleveland."

Joe Thomas is a Hall of Fame LT who was the #3 pick of the draft. That's worth 2200 points. He's got maybe 5 good years left so he's not worth that now, but still the Browns were asking Denver's 2nd round pick in the 2016 draft, plus their #1 pick in 2017. The 2nd rounder this season is #57-58 or something, so that's worth about 330 points.

If Brock is mediocre next season, with this defense the Broncos should win at least 10 games. That puts the Broncos 2017 draft pick somewhere in the 20's which would be worth maybe 720-800 points. Total <= 1130 points.

And that's without the 5th round pick the Browns were giving back = (#1 pick of the 5th round = 43 points), so roughly 1100 points or so. That is not a lot to give up for a guy you can plug in and be a stone-wall at LT for the next 5 years!

They have NO CHANCE of drafting a LT remotely as good as Joe Thomas with any of their picks. NONE whatever. That decision was just so stupid that it's off the charts. I get infuriated whenever I think of how dumb that was.

Oh, yeah! "We'll be just fine with a career RT backing up at LT in Ryan Harris! No problem." Well, problem.

Meanwhile the Broncos OL is still terrible at pass-blocking. They couldn't adequate protect Osweiler against the 21st pass defense in the league, and a not terribly great pass rush that has 22 sacks on the season (the Broncos lead the league with 41).

BroncoJoe
12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
LOL. Joe Thomas isn't coming to the Broncos, and NO! Elway didn't screw the pooch like some idiots on here want you to believe.

NightTerror218
12-07-2015, 06:56 PM
LOL. Joe Thomas isn't coming to the Broncos, and NO! Elway didn't screw the pooch like some idiots on here want you to believe.

Joe Thomas is a pipe dream. You don't sacrifice the future. 2 1st round picks and then some. Wasn't Joe Thomas out an entire season not too long ago. How much longer does he have in league? Just some questions. I would rather trade up for a rookie LT then go for Joe, would be cheaper.

WARHORSE
12-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Last year the cap projected from 140-143m. It came in at over 143. Next year it projects at 150-153m. My thought is it will be more, but lets just stick with 152million.

In that case, we would have 24.7 mil in space even without cutting a soul because we would assuredly rollover what we had from the year before I would think. Thats over 3.1 mil.

So 24.7 in cap space without cutting or restructuring anyone.

In order of importance: (imo)

Von

Brock

Wolfe

Malik

Trevathan

Bruton

Hillman

Others of note:

Harris, Mathis, Vernon Davis, Omar Bolden and Norwood.

If we cut Clady or restructure, we get more relief. Same with Ware, but Im not so sure hes going to go for that. Alot depends on whether he really likes Denver and wants to stay here.

I think Elway has us in great position to take care of our own needs.

For me the ones I REALLY want to keep are Von, Brock, Wolfe, and Malik.