PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas And Brock Osweiler Have A Bad Connection

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — The Denver Broncos have a bad connection they’re trying to get fixed.

It sure looked like a terrific tandem in the making when Demaryius Thomas took Brock Osweiler’s second pass in his first NFL start and raced 48 yards for a touchdown.

To that point, the two had hooked up on eight of nine throws, including an 8-yarder to start that game.

A week earlier, Osweiler replaced an injured Peyton Manning in a game against Kansas City and completed half a dozen throws to the Pro Bowl receiver.

Since that score at Chicago, however, the two haven’t been on the same page.

Thomas has caught just two of the last 19 passes that Osweiler has thrown his way.

After the Broncos handed the Patriots their first loss last weekend during a 30-24 overtime thriller in the snow, Thomas was so dejected that his coach had to comfort him amid the celebration.

“It’s funny how football is. The locker room couldn’t have been more jubilant after the game, and yet you’ve got a player over there who is down because he doesn’t feel good about how he played,” Gary Kubiak said. “As a coach, you feel that, and I talked to him right after the game. We talked the next couple days. That’s part of ball, and that’s why he’s a great player because he wants his team to lean on him.”

rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/12/04/demaryius-thomas-and-brock-osweiler-have-a-bad-connection/

gregbroncs
12-04-2015, 06:27 PM
I hope they get it fixed. With Daniels, Sanders and now Davis coming on we are still going to need DT to be what he can be if we are going to be successful.

TXBRONC
12-04-2015, 06:41 PM
I hope they get it fixed. With Daniels, Sanders and now Davis coming on we are still going to need DT to be what he can be if we are going to be successful.

He'll get it together.

Timmy!
12-04-2015, 06:43 PM
88 will be fine.

Joel
12-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Have they tried rebooting? :tongue:

I still wonder if DT's 100% healthy; Sanders looked like crap when he was playing hurt, too, as did DT playing hurt much of last season, and I believe he was on this years injury report before the bye. Those veteran rest days aren't given out just for the Hell of it. But they're getting more practice time together now that Manning's hurt, so I can't imagine it won't get better. After all, it was "just one game," and people tell me that doesn't mean squat, even if it's a SB where DT got a receptions record and our lone score playing hurt.

aberdien
12-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Looked more like a lack of effort than a lack of chemistry, but hopefully one will beget the other.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Looked more like a lack of effort than a lack of chemistry, but hopefully one will beget the other.

I don't think it's fair to question his effort, without knowing the facts.

Most of the drops looked to me like one of 3 things were involved:
1. He's looking to run before securing the catch.
2. One of his arms is being held.
3. He's not expecting the ball to come with that much velocity. He's gone from catching throws from one of the weakest armed quarterbacks to one of the strongest; some of the shorter throws don't need so much heat.

NightTerror218
12-04-2015, 10:42 PM

I have noticed that DT likes to use his size and essential box out the CB, but that doesn't always work if CB is not in right spot and ball there instantly...like thrown before he turns around.

Yashahla17
12-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Thomas just got used to catching soft floating ducks. He'll get it together now that he has a real quarterback.

Rick
12-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Manning is about done, career almost over, but I really think you should show some respect for one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

Yashahla17
12-04-2015, 11:54 PM
There is no disrespect in stating the obvious about his floaters.

Dzone
12-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Not the first time DT has admitted to not having his head in the game
http://milehighsports.com/demaryius-thomas-needs-to-figure-out-how-to-keep-his-head-in-the-game/

Locnar
12-05-2015, 12:31 AM
It's only been 2 games...

Northman
12-05-2015, 07:44 AM
All DT needs to do is concentrate and catch the ball. I think AL had a point about DT always wanting to run after the play but if he is doing that and not securing the catch it can be a problem. DT's first priority should be to catch the ball and then worry about running. But DT has done this with Manning under center as well so the problem has existed before Oz.

Rick
12-05-2015, 01:23 PM

I don't think you would know the meaning of respect if it hit you square in the eyes.

Look, Manning has been bad this year. Real bad. He showed promise in the GB game, but it is over, time to move on to Brock, for better or worse. Lets see what we have.

All that said, leave it at that. Constantly running him down, treating him like a piece of shit, he doesn't deserve that.

Manning owns nearly every passing record in the book. He is almost the most winning QB in history.

Treat the man with some damn respect, he earned it.

Yashahla17
12-05-2015, 03:04 PM

I don't see how you can say it was a lack of effort, the guy has been catching soft floaters for 3 years, and he still had issues with drops trying to run before the catch.

Yashahla17
12-05-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't think you would know the meaning of respect if it hit you square in the eyes.

Look, Manning has been bad this year. Real bad. He showed promise in the GB game, but it is over, time to move on to Brock, for better or worse. Lets see what we have.

All that said, leave it at that. Constantly running him down, treating him like a piece of shit, he doesn't deserve that.

Manning owns nearly every passing record in the book. He is almost the most winning QB in history.

Treat the man with some damn respect, he earned it.

He has my respect as a man and as a player he used to be, what i don't respect is coming back and hurting my team when he knew he was done just for some records. But at the same time i don't blame him for punking elway for 15 million when he knew he was done. Forgive me for taking offense to someone hurting my team.

Just for you rick I'll leave poor ole manning alone, who doesn't see any of my comments.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 03:13 PM
unbelievable.

DenBronx
12-05-2015, 06:16 PM

I don't think it's fair to question his effort, without knowing the facts.

Most of the drops looked to me like one of 3 things were involved:
1. He's looking to run before securing the catch.
2. One of his arms is being held.
3. He's not expecting the ball to come with that much velocity. He's gone from catching throws from one of the weakest armed quarterbacks to one of the strongest; some of the shorter throws don't need so much heat.

So you're saying Brock has one of the strongest arms in the NFL?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 06:27 PM
So you're saying Brock has one of the strongest arms in the NFL?

I'd put him in the top 10.

NightTrainLayne
12-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Thank God.

I initially read the thread title as D. Thomas and Brock have a bad Concussion. Concussion! I was all, WTF?!?!!?!?!

Joel
12-05-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't see how you can say it was a lack of effort, the guy has been catching soft floaters for 3 years, and he still had issues with drops trying to run before the catch.
Wait: So now Manning's not just throwing soft floaters, he's been doing it since 2013?! Those 55 wobbly TDs? Tell us again how you respect Mannings legacy.

Simple Jaded
12-05-2015, 11:15 PM
What Rick is too nice to say, Yashashaler, is that you're a Dick.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2015, 11:37 PM
#hammer

echobravo
12-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Do not think it was a bad connection issue with Thomas and Oz. Just DT playing in quicksand. Bad day, nothing more.

You have to treat a player with Manning's pedigree with due respect. I do not get where Yash gets his anti-Manning rage. Manning will be named the starter once healthy IMHO. He has earned that just off of what he has done for this organization.

Yashahla17
12-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Wait: So now Manning's not just throwing soft floaters, he's been doing it since 2013?! Those 55 wobbly TDs? Tell us again how you respect Mannings legacy.

While mannings arm has gotten incredibly weaker its his accuracy that has truly left him out to dry, when he threw those 55 scores they were never coming in as hot as oz throws, however they were incredibly accurate pin point dimes. Just as hes thrown his entire career in his prime days.

Yashahla17
12-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Do not think it was a bad connection issue with Thomas and Oz. Just DT playing in quicksand. Bad day, nothing more.

You have to treat a player with Manning's pedigree with due respect. I do not get where Yash gets his anti-Manning rage. Manning will be named the starter once healthy IMHO. He has earned that just off of what he has done for this organization.

If this happens kubiak will lose the respect of the locker room forever. And manning isn't a lifetime bronco. What is all that he's done for the Broncos? I must have missed that super bowl he won with the broncos.

But anyway. I hope you're wrong.

BroncoWave
12-06-2015, 12:14 AM
If this happens kubiak will lose the respect of the locker room forever. And manning isn't a lifetime bronco. What is all that he's done for the Broncos? I must have missed that super bowl he won with the broncos.

But anyway. I hope you're wrong.

Hey yash, remember when you said you were done talking about Manning?

echobravo
12-06-2015, 12:19 AM
You obviously do not remember the tire fire of quarterbacking we had here. Tebow, Orton, Cutler, Frerotte. Hell there was even a time when Bradlee VanPelt was considered heir apparent material. The lone "bright spot" was Plummer.

Manning raised us back to the top half of league discussions. I am not a Manning defender. He has been a hot mess for a full calendar year, but if he comes anywhere close to being the quarterback he was at the start of last season then you let him play. If he can't get back to that.... then not so much.

As for losing the locker room, I think you underestimate the overall chemistry of this team.

Tned
12-06-2015, 12:24 AM
I've wondered if the pending (note I think completed) pardon and release of his mother from prison has him distracted.

gregbroncs
12-06-2015, 11:26 AM

You have to treat a player with Manning's pedigree with due respect. I do not get where Yash gets his anti-Manning rage. Manning will be named the starter once healthy IMHO. He has earned that just off of what he has done for this organization.I disagree he has earned that. He played like crap this year, all year. If Brock continues to play like he has and lead the team to wins Manning should not get his job back.

SR
12-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Do not think it was a bad connection issue with Thomas and Oz. Just DT playing in quicksand. Bad day, nothing more. You have to treat a player with Manning's pedigree with due respect. I do not get where Yash gets his anti-Manning rage. Manning will be named the starter once healthy IMHO. He has earned that just off of what he has done for this organization.

Opt in to P&R and you'll see where he gets his Manning hate. The guy (Yash) is a Picasso.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2015, 08:08 PM
I disagree he has earned that. He played like crap this year, all year. If Brock continues to play like he has and lead the team to wins Manning should not get his job back.

Not sure I was on board with that AS much after watching the game today, though. Brock showed a lot of limitations.

Pudge
12-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Hey yash, remember when you said you were done talking about Manning?

He was just speaking about him, that has nothing to do with talking about him. It's completely different

OrangeFanatic
12-06-2015, 08:50 PM
You obviously do not remember the tire fire of quarterbacking we had here. Tebow, Orton, Cutler, Frerotte. Hell there was even a time when Bradlee VanPelt was considered heir apparent material. The lone "bright spot" was Plummer.

Manning raised us back to the top half of league discussions. I am not a Manning defender. He has been a hot mess for a full calendar year, but if he comes anywhere close to being the quarterback he was at the start of last season then you let him play. If he can't get back to that.... then not so much.

As for losing the locker room, I think you underestimate the overall chemistry of this team.

Except for this year Peyton only starts sucking the second half of the season or the playoffs. (This year he sucked the entire time)

OrangeFanatic
12-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Not sure I was on board with that AS much after watching the game today, though. Brock showed a lot of limitations.

I'm forced to agree, but with Peyton we know hes going to choke hard time. Might as well give someone else a chance to not choke.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Such as?

BroncoWave
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Such as?

Yeah, I'm not really sure what kind of "limitations" there were. He was attempting all of the throws short and deep. No he didn't blow the doors off today, but it was still a better game than at least half the games Manning played this year. If today is the worst Brock we see, that gives us a way better chance than Manning has this year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2015, 09:14 PM

He had trouble with a few reads, but even though he was average today, his numbers were just as good as Manning at his best this year, not to mention the running game looks light years better from under center.

I Eat Staples
12-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Such as?

Yeah, I'm not really sure what kind of "limitations" there were. He was attempting all of the throws short and deep. No he didn't blow the doors off today, but it was still a better game than at least half the games Manning played this year. If today is the worst Brock we see, that gives us a way better chance than Manning has this year.

He just doesn't have a quick release, and I'm still not sure how smart he is.

Still way better than Manning though. There's absolutely no way they should go back to Peyton. Osweiler gives us a better chance now AND we can continue to evaluate him. It's win/win.

NightTerror218
12-06-2015, 09:34 PM
He just doesn't have a quick release, and I'm still not sure how smart he is.

Still way better than Manning though. There's absolutely no way they should go back to Peyton. Osweiler gives us a better chance now AND we can continue to evaluate him. It's win/win.

Against pats they timed his release and he has a very quick release, just holds onto it too long.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 09:36 PM
He's got a very quick release. His arm slot is still inconsistent.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Such as?

Reading the defense. Finding the 2nd receiver. Identifying coverages. He didn't play "poorly"..but it certainly gives me some of the same questions about whether or not he's really our future QB or not. I get that he's early in his career, but we will have to make a big financial commitment to him, and its games like today where he shows just how.... meh... he can be.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I don't think "limitations " is the word you're looking for.

I Eat Staples
12-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Against pats they timed his release and he has a very quick release, just holds onto it too long.

Yeah, that was poor wording on my part. It's not a slow release, he just holds onto the ball way too long. Many QBs never improve on that.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I don't think "limitations " is the word you're looking for.

Maybe. I don't know. The OC/HC sure seem to be pretty cautious with him, especially getting into the redzone. If its not "limitations" (even if those are due to inexperience) I woudln't know what else to refer to them as. Deficiencies seem to be pretty harsh.

gregbroncs
12-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Reading the defense. Finding the 2nd receiver. Identifying coverages. He didn't play "poorly"..but it certainly gives me some of the same questions about whether or not he's really our future QB or not. I get that he's early in his career, but we will have to make a big financial commitment to him, and its games like today where he shows just how.... meh... he can be.They had the lead and treated him with "kid Gloves" in the second half. I'm not big on going conservative and playing to keep a lead but that is what it looked like they were doing today. BTW losing CJ and Davis hurt the running game and pass blocking in the 2nd half. Good news is only 1 sack today and the INT was not a killer just trying to force it into the end zone.
I still believe Oz gives us a better shot to win than Manning does.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2015, 09:55 PM
They had the lead and treated him with "kid Gloves" in the second half. I'm not big on going conservative and playing to keep a lead but that is what it looked like they were doing today. BTW losing CJ and Davis hurt the running game and pass blocking in the 2nd half. Good news is only 1 sack today and the INT was not a killer just trying to force it into the end zone.
I still believe Oz gives us a better shot to win than Manning does.

If that's the reason they started holding back the offense and t reateing him with kid gloves, then it.. to me...doesn't make sense. Since we have been running the offense for most of the season without Davis, and most of the season with Hillman as the starting/lead back. But I think you are right, I think they just started to try and "run off the clock" after half.......at least that's how it felt. That kind of conservative play makes we wonder as to 'why'.... was it the coaches being conservative, or was it some "limitations" on Os' part? Which is what I was saying as to how the game raised some flags, for me.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Maybe. I don't know. The OC/HC sure seem to be pretty cautious with him, especially getting into the redzone. If its not "limitations" (even if those are due to inexperience) I woudln't know what else to refer to them as. Deficiencies seem to be pretty harsh.

Inexperienced, youre talking about things experience improves.

As for the playcalling, have you considered that this is the offense they'd be running regardless of how good/bad the QB is?

Ravage!!!
12-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Inexperienced, youre talking about things experience improves.

As for the playcalling, have you considered that this is the offense they'd be running regardless of how good/bad the QB is?

No. If it is, then its bad. I feel we basically took the ball out of the QBs hands getting near the endzone today. If it's inexperience, then that could be the reason for the conservative approach. If its 'game plan'...then that's another thread, and another discussion about concern.

As far as him having inexperience, of course he does. But he's not a rookie either. MAYBE those things improve....HOPEFULLY those things improve. Which is my point considering we will ahve to make a pretty LARGE financial commitment to him following these games. But if we are conservative because of Brock, then that says some things....as well.

gregbroncs
12-06-2015, 10:07 PM
If that's the reason they started holding back the offense and t reateing him with kid gloves, then it.. to me...doesn't make sense. Since we have been running the offense for most of the season without Davis, and most of the season with Hillman as the starting/lead back. But I think you are right, I think they just started to try and "run off the clock" after half.......at least that's how it felt. That kind of conservative play makes we wonder as to 'why'.... was it the coaches being conservative, or was it some "limitations" on Os' part? Which is what I was saying as to how the game raised some flags, for me.When you have a good lead, a great defense and a QB in his 3rd start, it makes some sense to be a little cautious with the play calling. Especially when you have other guys missing that were part of the game plan. I thought Brock played pretty well for the most part.

gregbroncs
12-06-2015, 10:09 PM
No. If it is, then its bad. I feel we basically took the ball out of the QBs hands getting near the endzone today. If it's inexperience, then that could be the reason for the conservative approach. If its 'game plan'...then that's another thread, and another discussion about concern.

As far as him having inexperience, of course he does. But he's not a rookie either. MAYBE those things improve....HOPEFULLY those things improve. Which is my point considering we will ahve to make a pretty LARGE financial commitment to him following these games. But if we are conservative because of Brock, then that says some things....as well.I don't think it says any more than the coaches chose to be cautious because of the situation in the game and the inexperience at QB. It does not send up any red flags to me, he did nothing to put this lead in jeopardy.

Rick
12-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Jury is still out on Brock, thank God they get to eval him a bunch before making a money decision on him.

He shows potential, and the running game plays well when he is in there.

I thought he looked fantastic on the first drive. Needs to get more consistent, hopefully this comes with more games under his belt.

Simple Jaded
12-06-2015, 10:52 PM

As far as him having inexperience, of course he does. But he's not a rookie either. MAYBE those things improve....HOPEFULLY those things improve. Which is my point considering we will ahve to make a pretty LARGE financial commitment to him following these games. But if we are conservative because of Brock, then that says some things....as well.

They're not conservative, imo, this is the offense they wanna run. I like it and I hope it stays, playoff football.

Btw, according to my worthless study the Broncos ran 4 plays in goal-to-go situations and had 3 passes to 1 run attempt.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2015, 11:30 PM

This ^^^

Also, holding the ball longer than 3 seconds isn't always indicative of poor qb play. There are a lot of successful qb's in the league who have that tendency.

Northman
12-07-2015, 07:20 AM
If that's the reason they started holding back the offense and t reateing him with kid gloves, then it.. to me...doesn't make sense. Since we have been running the offense for most of the season without Davis, and most of the season with Hillman as the starting/lead back. But I think you are right, I think they just started to try and "run off the clock" after half.......at least that's how it felt. That kind of conservative play makes we wonder as to 'why'.... was it the coaches being conservative, or was it some "limitations" on Os' part? Which is what I was saying as to how the game raised some flags, for me.

I guess i just dont understand the complaint. This team is not a scoring machine this year, its not designed to be like that and the defense is still the crutch to it all. If the team had started flinging the ball around and there was a lot of turnovers than the complaint would be that Oz sucks donkey balls. People do realize that the mighty Aaron Rodgers went 6-10 his first year starting right? The Broncos are in a unique position where they dont have to put the pressure on the a young QB to carry the team. While i think there could of been some better playcalling in this game we still had a 17-3 lead with one of the best defenses in the league. Hell, even Thompson looked better out there than Hillman so the loss of CJ and Davis did play a factor. The Chargers were a desperate team throwing everything they could at Oz forcing him to have to make the plays. In some cases he was able to guide the team to at least some first downs but the important thing was not to turn the ball over. There just isnt any need to score a gazillion points to beat teams this year and every time some people think we need to score a lot of points they've pointed to "oh, we cant beat GB, or cant beat NE" but then we go out and do it. I dont see why people are so worried about how many points we put up. We just are not a offensive juggernaut like we were 2 years ago.

TXBRONC
12-07-2015, 11:02 AM

You haven't anything but a pile of hot garbage but I expect that from trolls. :wave:

TXBRONC
12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
What Rick is too nice to say, Yashashaler, is that you're a Dick.

I'm glad you were blunt about it Jaded, I'm not sure Yash comprehends tact.