PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas low on mojo

artie_dale
12-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey all, I had a simple theory as to why DT might be slumping these last two weeks.

Two weeks ago, DT's first reception resulted in a 43 yd TD run. But, for the entire game, he was targeted 8 times and caught only 3 passes (59 yds & 1 TD).

Last week, probably DT's most hideous week, he caught 1 pass for a critical first down. He was targeted 13 times that game.

One can argue that he may be having trouble adapting to the cold (was it cold in Chi?) or one can definitely argue that he's learning his timing with Brock Ossie.

My argument against both is that none of the other WRs are suffering from the cold and none of the other players are suffering from getting the hang of Brock's timing. As a matter of fact, Brock Osweiller has pretty much taken the starting QB practice snaps since I think the latter half of last season. That's a lot of practice with the first team offense for a 2nd string QB.

Here is my theory.

At around the time of our game against KC or leading up to our game against Chi, there was someone of high significance to DT that was being released from prison. His mother.

Is there a chance that she has been a distraction some how? Whether she's not what he thought she would be (which would be sad) or maybe their reunion is just emotionally draining and his play is the effects of their reunion?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were either one. Definitely tough reuniting a decade and emotions can drain a person faster than they realize if they aren't aware of it.

Thoughts?

SR
12-04-2015, 05:30 PM
If anything else I would think he would be playing harder now that his mom is out of prison, so I don't really think any of your theories have much merit

IMO, he's paying like a prima-donna that played his ass of to get a big payday and slowed down once he was paid.

He still leads the team in receptions and yards, mostly because Sanders has missed games, but he is playing soft and unmotivated ball.

Northman
12-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Not sure homie, i think that might be over analyzing but its possible. The only problem i see with that theory is that the drops really havent been new as DT has done and played like this before even in good weather. I think it might be a concentration thing more than anything.

artie_dale
12-04-2015, 05:34 PM
If anything else I would think he would be playing harder now that his mom is out of prison, so I don't really think any of your theories have much merit

IMO, he's paying like a prima-donna that played his ass of to get a big payday and slowed down once he was paid.

He still leads the team in receptions and yards, mostly because Sanders has missed games, but he is playing soft and unmotivated ball.

I understand why you wouldn't agree with my theories. Imo, he played distracted and without effort those last two games. But I didn't notice that prior to those games because Peyton was the one slinging it to him.

I suggested those possibilities (my theories) because that whole situation with his mother played such a focal point all his life, if her coming back ended up not being quite what he was hoping, it could be emotionally tragic.

So, not a chance at all, aye? Just playing like a post big contract player?

tubby
12-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I think your theory has merit although I don't think a reunion has happened. From what I've read she isn't allowed to leave the state and he hasn't been to Georgia yet to see her. I guess he bought her a cell and they talk on the phone a bunch now. I'm sure the whole business is a lot to process and has taken a toll emotionally. So we pretty much have a $15m emo wr.

Thanks Obama.

gregbroncs
12-04-2015, 06:31 PM
I won't discredit the theory. But if that is what it is he needs to get over it. If it's just a timing thing with Oz then they need to fix it. Whatever it is they need him, they are short a few weapons anyway. If DT had been even average in that game we probably win comfortably.

SR
12-04-2015, 06:34 PM
I understand why you wouldn't agree with my theories. Imo, he played distracted and without effort those last two games. But I didn't notice that prior to those games because Peyton was the one slinging it to him. I suggested those possibilities (my theories) because that whole situation with his mother played such a focal point all his life, if her coming back ended up not being quite what he was hoping, it could be emotionally tragic. So, not a chance at all, aye? Just playing like a post big contract player?

I mean, I guess there's a possibility she's out of jail and bugging him for money and whatnot and it's distracting him. I'm sure he bought her a house and a car and all that jazz already. I guess there's a chance that could be it. I'm just thinking if it was me and I was in his shoes I would be playing like I may not ever see the field again every single snap.

Joel
12-04-2015, 08:22 PM
All other WRs except Sanders have been practicing with Oz for YEARS because they were all on the second team; Sanders has a jugs machine in his backyard, so catches EVERYTHING. Also, I believe DT's battled injury at least part of this year, and Sanders played as badly hurt as DT did at the start of 2014. And it was "just one game."

Slick
12-04-2015, 08:24 PM
He got used to catching floaters.

Davii
12-04-2015, 08:47 PM
He got used to catching floaters.

Boooooooooooooo

Rick
12-04-2015, 08:58 PM
DT has been plagued with drops for years. He is a big, explosive receiver but he can be streaky.

I really don't buy the distracted theory in general for any player. Once the game starts I really don't buy they are thinking about anything other than the game.

SR
12-04-2015, 09:11 PM
DT has been plagued with drops for years. He is a big, explosive receiver but he can be streaky. I really don't buy the distracted theory in general for any player. Once the game starts I really don't buy they are thinking about anything other than the game.

On that same token, and some of us have discussed this in other threads, I'm a believer in the mantra "you practice how you play". If DT is distracted or whatever and isn't putting in the effort on the practice field (coaches say he practices his ass off) it will translate to gameday.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2015, 09:14 PM
DT is looking to run before he's secured the ball. He goes through phases like this every year. It doesn't mean he's soft or not committed. He'll fix it, he always does.

NightTerror218
12-04-2015, 10:45 PM
DT is looking to run before he's secured the ball. He goes through phases like this every year. It doesn't mean he's soft or not committed. He'll fix it, he always does.

I think so of it is timing. DT like to use his body to box out CB but that o my works when timing with QBs and the ball is to him quick. Essentially thrown before he turns around.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I think so of it is timing. DT like to use his body to box out CB but that o my works when timing with QBs and the ball is to him quick. Essentially thrown before he turns around.

I agree, I think the velocity is catching him by surprise as well, but that sort of ties in to what you are saying.

Dapper Dan
12-04-2015, 11:40 PM
He's still 10th among all players in the NFL this season in receiving yards. Wouldn't you say that's pretty good, considering he hasn't had a quarterback all year and he had a terrible game last week.

Locnar
12-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Not everyone can get acclimated to playing in the snow, even pros.

Also, maybe it had a little bit to do with nerves because it was a big game against an undefeated defending super bowl champ.

tubby
12-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Lack of effort is absolutely glaring at times.

tomjonesrocks
12-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Collinsworth pointed out a play where DT was waiting for the ball to arrive rather than running towards it - and it allowed the DB to pretty easily jump in front.

I don't know if that's effort or a mental error or what - but multiple reports, DTs comments, and Kubiak pointing to him beating himself up over it.

If a guy is despondent about his play I don't know that that ties out with laziness, "getting paid", etc.

SR
12-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Not everyone can get acclimated to playing in the snow, even pros. Also, maybe it had a little bit to do with nerves because it was a big game against an undefeated defending super bowl champ.

I doubt it was nerves. He set the record for most receptions in a Super Bowl.

SR
12-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Collinsworth pointed out a play where DT was waiting for the ball to arrive rather than running towards it - and it allowed the DB to pretty easily jump in front. I don't know if that's effort or a mental error or what - but multiple reports, DTs comments, and Kubiak pointing to him beating himself up over it. If a guy is despondent about his play I don't know that that ties out with laziness, "getting paid", etc.

Whether he is actually beating himself up about it or its lip service is yet to be seen. Regardless, after a shit performance like that, he SHOULD be beating himself up because it was embarrassing.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I think the theory has a lot of merit.

Having a loved one in prison is pretty hard, as is. But you get used to it and learn to live life, as it's normal. But when they are out, that completely changes things. Doesn't matter if they aren't in the same house, or the same state. It's a pretty big deal, especially when that person has been in prison a long time. They don't have to "ask for money" to be a distraction...it's just the fact that they are AC TUALLY out of prison. THat's HUGE in someone's life.

I can absolutely buy into the fact that this might be on his mind..in the back of his mind. Not necessarily "Thinking" about her during games, but when you drop a ball you might let a thought drift to her watching mroe than you had accepted her in prison. I'm sure the 'newness' of her being out will wear off, but it's certainly a viable, believable, explanation.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Whether he is actually beating himself up about it or its lip service is yet to be seen. Regardless, after a shit performance like that, he SHOULD be beating himself up because it was embarrassing.

I hope he doesn't, as that kind of dwelling on it and over thinking a bad game is how it's going to be easily repeated. Have to simply let that go and move forward without giving it another thought.

SR
12-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I hope he doesn't, as that kind of dwelling on it and over thinking a bad game is how it's going to be easily repeated. Have to simply let that go and move forward without giving it another thought.

Not to me. Dwelling on a bad performance should motivate him not to repeat it.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Not to me. Dwelling on a bad performance should motivate him not to repeat it.

Dwelling is never good for any performance. Knowing you had a bad game is enough. Dwellign on it is counter productive in every part of life.

SR
12-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Dwelling is never good for any performance. Knowing you had a bad game is enough. Dwellign on it is counter productive in every part of life.

I don't agree. When I make mistakes I dwell on it and beat myself up about it because I set high expectations for myself. Dwelling on something doesn't mean it's going to keep you down. People handle their emotions differently and for some people, like me, dwelling on a mistake made fuels motivation to improve. I'm not saying DT is, but he ****** up big last week and should be kicking himself for it.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I think a person that has been doing what he's been doing, for as long as he's been doing it.. at the level from which he's been doing it.... KNOWS when he has had a bad game. "Dwelling" on it isn't going to improve his game. Going over and over it again, isn't going to improve his hands, or make him do something "different" than he's been doing his entire career. Simply knowing you had a bad game, and not accepting that as "ok" is enough. Moving forward, doing what yo uhave been doing that has made you great without dragging yourself down over past mistakes, is the way to go.

The LAST thing you ever want from a CB is a guy that "Dwells" on giving up a TD. The last thing you want from a QB is one that "dwells" on throwing an INT. You want those guys to have VERY short memories and just move on to the next play, because that past one isn't going to change things.

SR
12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
He obviously has a motivation and focus problem. He's had maybe two really solid games this year. The rest of them have been pedestrian to below average. He drops as many balls as TO does. With his skill, his size, and his paycheck, there are zero excuses for below average games. He's been on the same team as Os for over three years now, so I don't buy the chemistry thing. He's been in the league now for over five years. Zero excuses for bad games. Once in a while because of playing an elite corner or playing hurt or whatever is understandable but last week he was against nobodies all night (Butler is severely overrated) and he wasn't on the injury report.

He should be doing nothing but kicking his ass in gear to make sure that doesn't happen again after the first time it happens, but he's been playing shitty, uninspired football all year.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2015, 12:00 PM
He obviously has a motivation and focus problem. He's had maybe two really solid games this year. The rest of them have been pedestrian to below average. He drops as many balls as TO does. With his skill, his size, and his paycheck, there are zero excuses for below average games. He's been on the same team as Os for over three years now, so I don't buy the chemistry thing. He's been in the league now for over five years. Zero excuses for bad games. Once in a while because of playing an elite corner or playing hurt or whatever is understandable but last week he was against nobodies all night (Butler is severely overrated) and he wasn't on the injury report.

He should be doing nothing but kicking his ass in gear to make sure that doesn't happen again after the first time it happens, but he's been playing shitty, uninspired football all year.

okey doke.

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 12:02 PM
You know, he did take that hit to the head, injuring his neck against the Vikings, IIRC. Maybe there's some lingering stuff going on there. I know he returned to the game and has played since though.

One bad game happens. If it continues, then there's reason to worry something else is going on.

SR
12-05-2015, 12:31 PM
You know, he did take that hit to the head, injuring his neck against the Vikings, IIRC. Maybe there's some lingering stuff going on there. I know he returned to the game and has played since though. One bad game happens. If it continues, then there's reason to worry something else is going on.

Without looking it up I don't know for sure when the last time he was on the injury report but it's been at least four weeks I feel.

BroncoJoe
12-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Without looking it up I don't know for sure when the last time he was on the injury report but it's been at least four weeks I feel.

You're probably right - was just pointing it out, because a neck injury can be scary, and maybe it's in his head a bit.

Just spitballing.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:21 PM
I think your theory has merit although I don't think a reunion has happened. From what I've read she isn't allowed to leave the state and he hasn't been to Georgia yet to see her. I guess he bought her a cell and they talk on the phone a bunch now. I'm sure the whole business is a lot to process and has taken a toll emotionally. So we pretty much have a $15m emo wr.

Thanks Obama.

Interesting. Being so close and not reaching his desire to be with her. I wonder.

Honestly, when I saw the short skit on his up-bringing and his relationship with his mother, the first thing that popped in my head was "Oh boy, she's his kryptonite." I honestly thought ever since then that he has some child/mother complex. It was a red flag for me, but I'm not a licenses professional at that stuff yet.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I mean, I guess there's a possibility she's out of jail and bugging him for money and whatnot and it's distracting him. I'm sure he bought her a house and a car and all that jazz already. I guess there's a chance that could be it. I'm just thinking if it was me and I was in his shoes I would be playing like I may not ever see the field again every single snap.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't know how I would react. I know my own relationship with my parents, with all the heartache and questionable up-bringing, I don't know how I would be if I were in his shoes.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:31 PM
All other WRs except Sanders have been practicing with Oz for YEARS because they were all on the second team; Sanders has a jugs machine in his backyard, so catches EVERYTHING. Also, I believe DT's battled injury at least part of this year, and Sanders played as badly hurt as DT did at the start of 2014. And it was "just one game."

Okay. Every game this season, even with a bad Peyton Manning, these last two games are the only games where he caught less than 50% of the passes thrown his way. Here are his REC & Targets stats for the season.

1) 7-11
2) 8-14
3) 9-13
4) 9-12
5) 5-8
6) 10-17
7) 8-11
8) 5-7
9) 7-10
11) 3-8
12) 1-13

I know using those stats isn't "strong" evidence. It always requires a full season to gather usable data. And, every player has their slumps. I'm just wondering if his slump and his mother's release (thanks to tubby, I now know that even though she's released, she can't leave the state and he hasn't been able to see her), has anything to do with what is only my opinion, a tired and drained and weak effort during game days. Chances are I'm wrong and he bounces back against SD (I hope). Just worth discussing in my opinion. Honestly, the chances of that kind of distraction ever surface to validate my suspicions never happen anyway.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:35 PM
DT has been plagued with drops for years. He is a big, explosive receiver but he can be streaky.

I really don't buy the distracted theory in general for any player. Once the game starts I really don't buy they are thinking about anything other than the game.

I get that. But, what I'm suggesting and if you have any experience with being emotionally drained (not everybody does and that's a good thing), it's not that he's distracted during the game. It's that whatever emotional roller coaster he have been on leading up to the game, it can fatigue the hell out of a person. But, outside of that, I agree that he's focused on the game. But if you are spent via the effects of what deep emotions can do to a person, it doesn't matter what sport you're playing.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:36 PM

I can see that. It was his not coming back to the ball that stood out to me. Timing can impact that.

artie_dale
12-05-2015, 02:39 PM
He's still 10th among all players in the NFL this season in receiving yards. Wouldn't you say that's pretty good, considering he hasn't had a quarterback all year and he had a terrible game last week.

Yeah, that's fantastic! But, I'm not complaining or trying to knock him. I just brought up a possibility through my observations. I hope it is timing, because if it is what I suggested, and if this is how it is impacting him (I'm way ahead of myself but suggesting two games is a trend, its not), that type of thing sticks with a person and effects them in more ways than on a football field.