PDA

View Full Version : Shanny tree and their dominance vs Belicheat and whiny

Jsteve01
11-30-2015, 12:05 AM
I saw today that the Broncos are the only team during the Brady era that he doesn't have a winning record against. Most of that is a result of all the wins they got under Shanahan. Very cool to see someone from the Shanahan and Walsh coaching tree continue that tradition.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Wade Phillips usually does well against T*mmy too, holds his own at least.

Joel
11-30-2015, 03:00 AM
People can call it Walshs West Coast Offense, but that was predicated on substituting low-risk, low-return passes for lower-risk, low-return runs, whereas Shanny (and Kubiaks) offense is predicated on runs AS runs to set up the pass, which is about as "innovative" as Lombardis Packer Sweep run to daylight (a staple of Shanny/Kubes ball; rebranding it a "stretch play" doesn't change what it is, or the importance of each and EVERY lineman being on the same page because it's a disaster if they aren't.)Guess what:

That unbeatable pass-crazy 21st Century Cheatriots gameplan that revolutionized football? Sound three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust "matriculate the ball down the field" running's VERY effective against it, not least because it keeps gunslingers like Brady impotently sidelined, not piling up 5 TDs/qtr (we could've avoided OT entirely if we'd finished our last regulation drive as we finished our first OT drive rather than continuing to pass even AFTER reaching the G to go scenario that is passings sole purpose.)

Shannys teams didn't beat Belicheats by Plummer winning shootouts with Brady (as if that were even possible) nor did Harbaughs Ravens teams (one of the few who've managed to win a playoff game @NE* not once but TWICE.) It's definitely vital to have a D good enough Brady can't score a TD on EACH of the few possessions ball control offense permits him, which is why Ryans Jets fared better than most against NE*, but even there, no one made the mistake of thinking Sanchez put them over the top.

Don't forget WE nearly beat them IN FOXBOROUGH on a night when Manning barely managed 100 yds of offense: But Moreno had >200 before a bone bruise sidelined him, and we wouldn't have needed OT if Hillman OR Ball could've held onto the ball in relief. Now consider the fact our run blocking was so awful that year that it cost historys best passing game a blowout SB, then consider what a 200 yd rushing game from Moreno says about Belicheats D. Granted, they were missing key run stuffers, but even so.

Then there's the NY Giants, perhaps the most successful team of all against NE*, at least when it mattered most: Sure, the helmet catch kept them alive in the first SB, and Belicheats offensive juggernaut would've put the game out of reach with even a few possessions had the Giants D not stopped it a lot, but they rode to victory on Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Brooks. No one's ever claimed Eli's the superior Manning, but which has a winning and which a losing playoff record vs. Brady?

Wade Phillips usually does well against T*mmy too, holds his own at least.
Funny, I've been hearing just the opposite for going on two weeks. He sure got shelled as Texans DC, and I don't recall him faring much better running the Cowboys.

Complementary football: You sideline great RBs by running up the score, and sideline great QBs by denying them the ball. Guess which feat's easier (and safer) against All Pros.

Actually, I feel dirty for where I got it, but here (http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/11/25/9790452/week-12-patriots-vs-broncos-denver-coaches-are-terrible-against-the). Short form: Wade was 1-5 vs. Brady before this week; Kubes has a career winning record, but only because of Shanny; post-Shanny he was also 1-5. In their defense, they were only together (as coaches) two years, and saddled with Schaub for both (plus the Texans D was such a trainwreck before Wade it kept Kubiak and Dennisons potent offense from managing better than 9-7; he came home with a HUGE mess to clean up, but managed it almost overnight.)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2015, 11:49 AM
The ZBS seems to work well against the Patriots

Dapper Dan
11-30-2015, 06:54 PM
The ZBS seems to work well against the Patriots

Even Kyle Orton beat the Pats.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Even Kyle Orton beat the Pats.

That is a marvel to behold.

Dapper Dan
11-30-2015, 08:22 PM
That is a marvel to behold.

I'd like to know Joel's thoughts in 10,000 words or more.

Joel
12-01-2015, 08:12 AM
I'd like to know Joel's thoughts in 10,000 words or more.
The beauty of thoroughly stating them and much corroborating evidence is that more posts are needed only to rebut objections, not elaborate. Absent objection, no more's needed.