PDA

View Full Version : Biggest concern of Oz after his first start. Rather typical of young QBs. Will be a factor tonight.

Broncoknight30
11-29-2015, 07:17 PM
It is something that so many QBs in the NFL have such a hard time with too. It is what makes Brady so good. It has been what made Peyton Manning so dynamic. For years, the worst thing you could do to Manning was blitz him. They welcomed it. Same with Brady. Look at his stats when a team rushes 5 or more at him.

Brady (Manning also for years) would know exactly where to go with the ball when a blitzer comes in. Almost automatic for them. That, is not an easy skill. Requires a lot of study, and poise etc etc. It is rare for a QB to have that. Bottom line with Brady (and Manning for years) was if you could not provide pressure (especially up the middle) with FOUR RUSHERS, they would carve the defense apart. The kryptonite for Brady is pressure up the middle. Typically, it is rather hard to execute that kind of pressure. That NASCAR Giants pass rush for example was the perfect defense against him. They were a 4-3 look. The other way to put him under pressure is if you are fortunate enough to give him blitz looks (zone blitzing) that he is not prepared for. The 3-4 gives more possibilities as far as versatility with disguises.

I was watching some highlights of Oz and they showed a few times where Oz did not see the clear hot read when the Bears blitzed him. A few times he took the sack and other times he threw to a covered WR etc. Rest assured, Belichick has seen that. I doubt the Pats will even try to disguise blitzes. If Oz wants to develop and get to that level, he will need to be able to identify the pressure and know precisely where to go. That, sounds a lot easier said than done. That is my biggest concern tonight and going forward.

CrazyHorse
11-29-2015, 07:20 PM
If he can't find the right guy I hope he throws it away. Taking a sack would be next. The worst is trying to force the ball into coverage.

Joel
11-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Anyone second to none BUT us in sacks and facing our wretched line doesn't need to blitz a QB in his second career start. The sole saving grace is that the Cheats line isn't much better and our pass rush is (though it's understandably declined without Ware.) Over/under on combined sacks tonight may be in the triple digits, which favors the team that can run most consistently. It could get ugly for EITHER team forced to pass a lot early, but in that event, the first ballot HoFer has the edge on the guy in his second career start.

Also, our secondary is (or was) good enough we can "blitz" 5 and still maintain solid coverage with 6 guys (or 5 with 1 deep.) It's when reaching the QB takes 6+ that gaps open.