PDA

View Full Version : Colquitt needs to go

Foochacho
11-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Has Colquitt been cut yet. The team should of told him to pack up his locker on the ride home.
His punting will kill us in the playoffs.

He didn't have one good punt all day. When we tried to draw them off and took the delay of game, I told my wife "shit, we need those yards he probably won't even get it to the 20". Meanwhile the announcers are saying that the punter would probably prefer the extra five yards. Nope, not our punter he couldn't even make it to the 20. No reason for them to not be inside or around the ten at that point. We should of just went for it what a waste with a punt like that. He punted like shit all day long.

Dzone
11-23-2015, 08:47 AM
hahaha get rid of the bum!

BroncoJoe
11-23-2015, 09:27 AM
His average was 39.6, with a long of 46. They had a total of 4 yards in returns.

Colquitt is just fine.

Slick
11-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Has Colquitt been cut yet. The team should of told him to pack up his locker on the ride home.
His punting will kill us in the playoffs.

He didn't have one good punt all day. When we tried to draw them off and took the delay of game, I told my wife "shit, we need those yards he probably won't even get it to the 20". Meanwhile the announcers are saying that the punter would probably prefer the extra five yards. Nope, not our punter he couldn't even make it to the 20. No reason for them to not be inside or around the ten at that point. We should of just went for it what a waste with a punt like that. He punted like shit all day long.

He had a great punt that pinned Chicago on the 9 yard line.

Dapper Dan
11-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Dzone
11-23-2015, 10:26 AM
lmao

weazel
11-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I think Manning looked terrible too Yash

OrangeHoof
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I never notice Colquitt. That's the way I like it. Granted, we could pay a punter half what Colquitt gets and find another blocker but that's my only gripe. Punters have three jobs, in order:

1) Don't get it blocked.
2) Don't shank
3) Don't kick line drives that are easily returned.

The rest is just for the stat buffs.

wayninja
11-23-2015, 11:34 PM
There's been many times as a member of this forum where I didn't start a thread because I stopped and thought to myself "Is this a good thread? Is it worth creating a topic about?". This thread gives me hope that such introspection isn't necessary.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Colquitt hasn't been worth a shit in years, he probably bought himself a job by taking that paycut.

DenBronx
11-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Meh...it's not that big of a deal. Stats for punters are overrated. Just dont shank that shit.

Foochacho
11-24-2015, 08:42 AM
I hear he has a torn plantar clitoris. That is why he lost the long punt.

Yashahla17
11-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Lol when you make a thread over one punt. That 15 yard punt was ugly as hell but it was just one punt dude, besides if kubiak kills the conservative shit then were scoring a touchdown or getting a FG instead of punting, pissed me off to start on the 45 and end up punting...

weazel
11-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Brock should kick! :elefant:

LTC Pain
11-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Let Manning kick so we don't have $15M rotting on the bench :D :listen: :eek:

weazel
11-24-2015, 01:03 PM

excellent!

Ravage!!!
11-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Honestly, I think Colquit is bad. He's not nearly.. not NEARLY as good as his brother. I just don't think he's very good of a punter.

gregbroncs
11-24-2015, 02:35 PM
I was frustrated with him this week. But he's just a punter. Hard to get this worked up over a punter unless he pulls a "Michigan".

Mike
11-24-2015, 06:57 PM

He'd probably break his hip though.

*Atwater*
11-26-2015, 06:20 PM
I wonder if this guys is available
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/New+York+Giants+v+Denver+Broncos+B72lyNgCLfIl.jpg.
:confused:

Joel
11-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Colquitt's had a LOT of punts inside the 20 this year (far more than he's shanked for 30 yds, as his average reflects) and several inside the 10. He wasn't as good last week, but still above average, IMHO. We're halfway through the season; maybe his leg's tired from overuse. :(

Denver Native (Carol)
11-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Britton is ranked 11th out of 39. His brother is ranked 15th.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/puntYards

Yashahla17
11-26-2015, 08:37 PM

Looks like we have the better of the brothers.

Yashahla17
11-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Honestly, I think Colquit is bad. He's not nearly.. not NEARLY as good as his brother. I just don't think he's very good of a punter.

But he's ranked 11the and his brother 15th. Sooooo?

compucomp
11-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Did you seriously just post the ranking from total yards and not average yards? Sort properly, by average, and Dustin is #11 and Britton is #25.

Pudge
11-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Did you seriously just post the ranking from total yards and not average yards? Sort properly, by average, and Dustin is #11 and Britton is #25.

Is your username reference to strong bads computer?

BroncoWave
11-28-2015, 10:52 PM

And if you sort by net, which is also pretty important, KC's guy is 4th and ours is 15th.

But yeah, LOL at sorting by total yards.

Yashahla17
11-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Damn it carol left me out to dry, i made my little slick remark based off that post lol.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 12:05 AM
And if you sort by net, which is also pretty important, KC's guy is 4th and ours is 15th.

But yeah, LOL at sorting by total yards.

More like LOL at people squabbling over punter statistics.

BroncoWave
11-29-2015, 08:49 AM
More like LOL at people squabbling over punter statistics.

The dude is getting paid like 4 million bucks a year. I think it's more than fair for his stats to be squibbled over.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 08:51 AM
The dude is getting paid like 4 million bucks a year. I think it's more than fair for his stats to be squibbled over.

He is?

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 08:52 AM
I just looked it up. Apparently he's getting $1.4 million for 2015.

BroncoJoe
11-29-2015, 09:06 AM
i just looked it up. Apparently he's getting $1.4 million for 2015.

fire him!!!

BroncoWave
11-29-2015, 10:22 AM
I just looked it up. Apparently he's getting $1.4 million for 2015.

Fair enough, but the last deal he signed in 2013 was for 3 years, 11.7 million dollars. He apparently restructured this year. Not really sure if that meant paycut or just a more cap-friendly setup of how he is paid, but regardless he is a pretty highly paid punter. We could probably get very similar production for far cheaper.

BroncoWave
11-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Here is a more detailed breakdown of his contract. Would appear that the restructure lowered this year's salary, but in 2016 he will be making 4 million again.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/britton-colquitt/

Pudge
11-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Here is a more detailed breakdown of his contract. Would appear that the restructure lowered this year's salary, but in 2016 he will be making 4 million again.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/britton-colquitt/

In 2016 bitch about it. I think Elway will do something this off-season

slim
11-29-2015, 05:52 PM
The punter?

Really?

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Fair enough, but the last deal he signed in 2013 was for 3 years, 11.7 million dollars. He apparently restructured this year. Not really sure if that meant paycut or just a more cap-friendly setup of how he is paid, but regardless he is a pretty highly paid punter. We could probably get very similar production for far cheaper.

How much cheaper? Seriously. You say far cheaper. I think it's more like $600k less. What are we going to do with $600k? We've lost a hell of a lot more money than that to players we've cut. You know much much production you get from players not on the team? I'll go ahead and tell you, none. If you cut Colquitt he will be added to that list. According to your link, his signing bonus is split up to $750k per year. So whether he is on the team or not, he's guaranteed to get that. Cut him, sign a guy for $750k. You still have about $1.5 million tied up in punters. You don't like him and you think he's a shitty player for some reason. He's your new Tony Carter, and some people's Rahim Moore. Fine, whatever. But don't try to justify it by saying we'll savery a bunch of money.

Joel
11-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Just for sake of argument, one school of thought says anyone punting in Mile High air half the time should be glad of whatever he's paid to do it, it shouldn't be that hard to find a guy capable of a respectable net and it shouldn't even be all that NECESSARY if Kubiak and Dennison transform our offense into what we expect of them based on their records. I don't think Colquitt a bum, by any means, and there's the vet minimum to consider (i.e. NO ONE can pay him <$885,000 next year,) but $4 million IS steep for a punter in Denver.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Just for sake of argument, one school of thought says anyone punting in Mile High air half the time should be glad of whatever he's paid to do it, it shouldn't be that hard to find a guy capable of a respectable net and it shouldn't even be all that NECESSARY if Kubiak and Dennison transform our offense into what we expect of them based on their records. I don't think Colquitt a bum, by any means, and there's the vet minimum to consider (i.e. NO ONE can pay him <$885,000 next year,) but $4 million IS steep for a punter in Denver.

He won't get paid $4 million to punt next season. Don't worry.

Joel
11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
He won't get paid $4 million to punt next season. Don't worry.
Fair enough then. Even close to $2½ million is kind of pushing it, but maybe reasonable if we think he's a stud. That means lots of coffin corners though, not just booming Mile High kicks over and over even though that puts a lot of them in the end zone. Whatever happened to the coffin corner anyway; seems like everyone's either hang time or distance now.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Fair enough then. Even close to $2½ million is kind of pushing it, but maybe reasonable if we think he's a stud. That means lots of coffin corners though, not just booming Mile High kicks over and over even though that puts a lot of them in the end zone. Whatever happened to the coffin corner anyway; seems like everyone's either hang time or distance now.

No one trusts the refs to judge the spot. And if you leave the ball in the field of play it gives the return man a chance to make a mistake.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 07:52 PM

Also, I see where being at Mile High makes it easier to kick FGs and to punt it out of the back of the endzone, but would it make it any easier when it comes to kicking in 40 yards to the 10 yard line? It seems like if there really is a difference then it would be harder to punt when you keep going to different elevations.

Yashahla17
11-29-2015, 08:00 PM
How much cheaper? Seriously. You say far cheaper. I think it's more like $600k less. What are we going to do with $600k? We've lost a hell of a lot more money than that to players we've cut. You know much much production you get from players not on the team? I'll go ahead and tell you, none. If you cut Colquitt he will be added to that list. According to your link, his signing bonus is split up to $750k per year. So whether he is on the team or not, he's guaranteed to get that. Cut him, sign a guy for $750k. You still have about $1.5 million tied up in punters. You don't like him and you think he's a shitty player for some reason. He's your new Tony Carter, and some people's Rahim Moore. Fine, whatever. But don't try to justify it by saying we'll savery a bunch of money.

Yeah better to keep colquitt untill his deal runs out and replace him then.

Joel
11-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Also, I see where being at Mile High makes it easier to kick FGs and to punt it out of the back of the endzone, but would it make it any easier when it comes to kicking in 40 yards to the 10 yard line? It seems like if there really is a difference then it would be harder to punt when you keep going to different elevations.
The main difference it would make is that an accurate punter can reliably coffin corner from farther away in thin air: He doesn't have to worry as much about getting all his leg into just to drive it downfield. As for trusting the refs spot, it would have to be a truly awful spot to make a punt going out inside the 10 worse than a TB; most of the time the difference on a bad spot's only going to be a few yards, so negligible, but the difference between the 10 and the 20's a bigger deal.

Keeping it in play may give returners a chance for mistakes, but also gives everyone on the coverage unit that same opportunity; keeping it OUT of play and inside the 20 nullifies all that. Would you rather have a 60 yd punt with a 30 yd return, or a 40 yd punt with none?

Dapper Dan
11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
The main difference it would make is that an accurate punter can reliably coffin corner from farther away in thin air: He doesn't have to worry as much about getting all his leg into just to drive it downfield. As for trusting the refs spot, it would have to be a truly awful spot to make a punt going out inside the 10 worse than a TB; most of the time the difference on a bad spot's only going to be a few yards, so negligible, but the difference between the 10 and the 20's a bigger deal.

Keeping it in play may give returners a chance for mistakes, but also gives everyone on the coverage unit that same opportunity; keeping it OUT of play and inside the 20 nullifies all that. Would you rather have a 60 yd punt with a 30 yd return, or a 40 yd punt with none?

If you're able to kick it near the 10 yard line, the advantage is usually with the coverage team. Usually the return man is the one to make the mistake.

aberdien
11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Uh oh.

Broncoknight30
11-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Right off the dam bat. He sucks.

SR
11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Right off the dam bat. He sucks.

A one legged man could kick better than him. Someone has to be paying him to kick this badly.

DenBronx
11-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Yeah he's been turrrrrible tonight.

Ziggy
11-29-2015, 11:15 PM
He makes a big punt every now and then, but he's always choked at the most critical times. He's gone after this season.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2015, 11:29 PM
The only thing more disappointing than Colquitt is demaryious Tomas tonight against the pats.

GEM
11-30-2015, 01:54 AM
His first 2 Punta were terrible, pretty good after he got HELLA booed at the game. People were calling for his head.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2015, 02:06 AM
Dude is a total waste of time.

DenBronx
11-30-2015, 02:21 AM
He did get better after 2 terrible punts. He was kicking very good after that.

Joel
12-01-2015, 07:06 AM
If you're able to kick it near the 10 yard line, the advantage is usually with the coverage team. Usually the return man is the one to make the mistake.
Which is more likely: That ONE guy makes a mistake, or that one or more of ELEVEN do?

The issue for me is that Colquitt's due $4 million next year and making >$2 million now when anyone we hired off the street could average 40+ yds 8 gms/yr in Mile High air, and we have this (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/) to consider. Even $885,000 (next years NFL minimum (https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2015-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/) wage for players with 7-9 years experience) is significant with THAT many new contracts to sign, but $4 million for a guy we hope to rarely need is just unreasonable given many options that are MUCH cheaper but only marginally worse (if that.)

Colquitt's not a bad punter, per se, but is inconsistent at a position where consistency often matters more than occasionally great but occasionally awful performances. Ryan Allen pinned us inside our 20 a number of times Sunday, with a few even inside our 10 (and did it using several kicks out of bounds. ) Colquitt didn't come close to matching that; not only did he start the game by shanking a few, he put a few in the end zone when angling them out of bounds would've pinned NE* deep.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Which is more likely: That ONE guy makes a mistake, or that one or more of ELEVEN do?

The issue for me is that Colquitt's due $4 million next year and making >$2 million now when anyone we hired off the street could average 40+ yds 8 gms/yr in Mile High air, and we have this (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/) to consider. Even $885,000 (next years NFL minimum (https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2015-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/) wage for players with 7-9 years experience) is significant with THAT many new contracts to sign, but $4 million for a guy we hope to rarely need is just unreasonable given many options that are MUCH cheaper but only marginally worse (if that.)

Colquitt's not a bad punter, per se, but is inconsistent at a position where consistency often matters more than occasionally great but occasionally awful performances. Ryan Allen pinned us inside our 20 a number of times Sunday, with a few even inside our 10 (and did it using several kicks out of bounds. ) Colquitt didn't come close to matching that; not only did he start the game by shanking a few, he put a few in the end zone when angling them out of bounds would've pinned NE* deep.

As I stated earlier using a link by Wave, we will owe Colquitt $750k whether he is on the team or not. If we got a punter for $500 then we still have $1.25 million tied up in punters but we will have a brand new, unknown punter.

We already brought in a few punters and none of them replaced Colquitt. I see no reason for him not to restructure like he did this year. I don't see him getting $4 million to punot in 2016. If he does, then by all means people can bitch about that. There's no reason to talk about it unless it happens.

Joel
12-01-2015, 09:08 AM
As I stated earlier using a link by Wave, we will owe Colquitt $750k whether he is on the team or not. If we got a punter for $500 then we still have $1.25 million tied up in punters but we will have a brand new, unknown punter.

We already brought in a few punters and none of them replaced Colquitt. I see no reason for him not to restructure like he did this year. I don't see him getting $4 million to punot in 2016. If he does, then by all means people can bitch about that. There's no reason to talk about it unless it happens.
By the same token, his signing bonus means he's into us for AT LEAST $1.6 million next season even if he restructures to the vet minimum: We take the hit for his $750,000 signing bonus PLUS another $885,000 for the bare minimum we can legally pay him. We'd save almost half a million with a rookie off the street, more if Colquitt's refuses renegotiation to minimum wage (and he's not THAT bad, so probably would when he could get the same literally anywhere else; we're paying him twice that now.)

If he's willing to return for around $2 million again, maybe, but we need to re-sign at least 10-12 players next year, including a backup QB and starting RB pushing their market value higher each of the last few games, all but one starting defensive linemen, all but one starting LB (including a perennial All Pro) all but one backup WR, both backup safeties/STs aces, our starting C and our starting K. That's if we let Mathis walk (likely) along with Davis (less certain.)

Things obviously change if Manning and/or Ware call it a career due to age and injury; that's $25 million in savings right there, and there could be other cap casualties (i.e Clady and Daniels are prime candidates who'd save us another $11½ million, and Harris, Webster and Roby are good enough I wouldn't miss Talibs $12 million/yr thuggery.) But right now, it looks like the $3¼ million we're scheduled to pay Colquitt next year would be far better spent elsewhere when his $750,000 bonus is unavoidable.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2015, 10:05 AM
We.

Will.

Not.

Pay.

Him.

That.

Much.

Next.

Year.

Davii
12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
We.

Will.

Not.

Pay.

Him.

That.

Much.

Next.

Year.

I'm sensing confidence in your position. I like it.

Joel
12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Great: So what's a reasonable price, both for the Broncos and his agent taking 10% of it? $1 million? Whatever number we come up with, add the $750,000 signing bonus, because that's part of our 2016 cap hit no matter what, but pointing to money he already GOT 3 years ago doesn't give Colquitt much incentive to re-sign. We CAN'T legally pay him <$885,000, so keeping him makes his 2016 cap hit >$1½ million no matter what: He WON'T accept minimum, so how much higher are we willing to go?

When the combined cost of his dead money and paying a rookie who'd be grateful for minimum is ~$1¼ million, I must believe the answer's "not very; he can take our first extension offer or find another team to pay him >$1 million." He's not bad, but not especially good either: Is a mediocre punter worth a $3 million cap hit with a dozen starters and key roleplayers to re-sign? Sure, some are restricted, but that just means we don't need an average punters contract preventing others in 2017.

BroncoJoe
12-01-2015, 11:59 AM
No part of his contract is guaranteed from what I understand. He'll take less next year or be cut. That said, he isn't so bad that the league minimum is what they'd pay him.

Davii
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Great: So what's a reasonable price, both for the Broncos and his agent taking 10% of it? $1 million? Whatever number we come up with, add the $750,000 signing bonus, because that's part of our 2016 cap hit no matter what, but pointing to money he already GOT 3 years ago doesn't give Colquitt much incentive to re-sign. We CAN'T legally pay him <$885,000, so keeping him makes his 2016 cap hit >$1½ million no matter what: He WON'T accept minimum, so how much higher are we willing to go?

When the combined cost of his dead money and paying a rookie who'd be grateful for minimum is ~$1¼ million, I must believe the answer's "not very; he can take our first extension offer or find another team to pay him >$1 million." He's not bad, but not especially good either: Is a mediocre punter worth a $3 million cap hit with a dozen starters and key roleplayers to re-sign? Sure, some are restricted, but that just means we don't need an average punters contract preventing others in 2017.

If we re-sign him to a longer term contract with less salary would that not spread his cap hit from the signing bonus over even more years and reduce that 750k cap hit?

Joel
12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
No part of his contract is guaranteed from what I understand. He'll take less next year or be cut. That said, he isn't so bad that the league minimum is what they'd pay him.
None of the salary is, but we can't get out of the $750,000 pro-rated signing bonus no matter what, and I agree he's not so bad we'd offer or he'd take the $885,000 minimum, hence the issue: How far above the unrealistic $1.635 million floor are we willing to go for an inconsistent punter?

If we re-sign him to a longer term contract with less salary would that not spread his cap hit from the signing bonus over even more years and reduce that 750k cap hit?
Depends on the NEW signing bonus and contract length. It's a fair point, but I know no reason a new pro-rated bonus would have a lower rather than higher cap charge. Inflation.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm okay with spending average money on a punter. I don't think we have to keep getting a punter at the league minimum every few years. I'm sorry, I like keeping the same guys. Even the Patriots, who won't pay anyone, is giving their punter over $1 million per year.

Joel
12-01-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm okay with spending average money on a punter. I don't think we have to keep getting a punter at the league minimum every few years. I'm sorry, I like keeping the same guys. Even the Patriots, who won't pay anyone, is giving their punter over $1 million per year.
The Cheatriots punter is much BETTER than ours, as Sunday demonstrated, yet barely making $1 million this year WITH his pro-rated signing bonus: His salary's <$585,000, exactly $300,000 less than the minimum we're ALLOWED to pay the inferior Colquitt next year (even if he'd take that, which he shouldn't and wouldn't.) If Colquitt'll take a deal that, like Allens, keeps his cap hit ≤$2 million the next three years, great—but since he's ALREADY getting more, that seems unlikely.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2015, 01:32 PM
The Cheatriots punter is much BETTER than ours, as Sunday demonstrated, yet barely making $1 million this year WITH his pro-rated signing bonus: His salary's <$585,000, exactly $300,000 less than the minimum we're ALLOWED to pay the inferior Colquitt next year (even if he'd take that, which he shouldn't and wouldn't.) If Colquitt'll take a deal that, like Allens, keeps his cap hit ≤$2 million the next three years, great—but since he's ALREADY getting more, that seems unlikely.

Yeah. He's already set to make more money so there's no way he would take less money. That would never happen.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2015, 01:34 PM

He not "much" better than Colquitt. I think they're roughly the same. The thing is, Allen isn't available. Who's the mystery guy we will get? Lanning and Schit wasn't good enough.

Joel
12-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Yeah. He's already set to make more money so there's no way he would take less money. That would never happen.
No, not just already set to make more money: Already GETTING it, right now, TODAY; it just further increases (a lot) next year. Think Colquitt will take less in 2016 than he's getting in 2015? That's what Allen's making, and he's a better punter, so we should find someone who's either better or cheaper than Colquitt.

He not "much" better than Colquitt. I think they're roughly the same. The thing is, Allen isn't available. Who's the mystery guy we will get? Lanning and Schit wasn't good enough.
Colquitt's not so great there aren't lots of comparable guys on the waiver wire who'd be thrilled to get the NFL minimum for a job with little value in the first place.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Ok. So after the Patriots game....anyone still think this guy is worth keeping after this season? I personally would love to find a kicker now, if possible.

gregbroncs
12-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Ok. So after the Patriots game....anyone still think this guy is worth keeping after this season? I personally would love to find a kicker now, if possible.he played terrible. I was pissed at him most of the game for giving up good field position. Then at the end of the game he kicked a beauty from near his own goal line to the opposite 30. It was a great kick. But over all yes I think he's a rather pedestrian kicker getting paid way too much.