PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad: Week 11

BroncoWave
11-22-2015, 04:09 PM
We made that one closer than it needed to be, but awesome way to start the Os era!

Good:

Osweiler. Can't ask much more from him in his debut. That's the kind of play that will keep him in control of the starting job.

CJ/Ronnie. Great running all day today. Big props to them.

DT: Fuggin beastly on that TD catch.

Latimer. Best game of his career. He definitely has some chemistry with Brock.

Tight Ends. They were making plays all day. Daniels had the drop, but overall a good game by he and VD.

Miller. Great play to force that late turnover and overall good game by him.

Bad:

Stupid penalties. I guess I should expect the stupid personal fouls every week, but they still piss me off.

Secondary. They were kinda victimized by some questionable PI, but they blew a couple too many coverages for my liking today. Lucky it didn't cost us more than it did.

Refs. Zero penalties called on Chicago. Come on.

slim
11-22-2015, 04:10 PM
We made that one closer than it needed to be, but awesome way to start the Os era!

Good:

Osweiler. Can't ask much more from him in his debut. That's the kind of play that will keep him in control of the starting job.

Tight Ends. They were making plays all day. Daniels had the drop, but overall a good game by he and VD.

Bad:

Stupid penalties. I guess I should expect the stupid personal fouls every week, but they still piss me off.

Secondary. They were kinda victimized by some questionable PI, but they blew a couple too many coverages for my liking today. Lucky it didn't cost us more than it did.

Chicago did not commit any penalties.

Sincerely,

MO

Mike
11-22-2015, 04:11 PM
WTF was the spread for today's game?

BroncoWave
11-22-2015, 04:11 PM
WTF was the spread for today's game?

Denver -2. Vegas hit the nail on the head.

BroncoWave
11-22-2015, 04:16 PM
One more in the good column: first game without a pick throw all season.

slim
11-22-2015, 04:20 PM
No turnovers...unless you count 31 shitting his pants on the kickoff.

Northman
11-22-2015, 04:26 PM
One more in the good column: first game without a pick throw all season.

Without a turnover in general. When you dont turn it over good things can happen.

Cugel
11-22-2015, 04:29 PM

Good:

Bad:

I would agree with all this and add the following:

Good: Osweiler showed poise and maturity which was the one thing we needed to see from him since he's going to have to play at least the next 3 weeks.

He's going to struggle some, especially against teams like the Patriots and Bengals and Steelers, but he didn't look like he wasn't in complete command of his emotions at any point.

The OL blocked significantly better in the run game. I don't know how much of that was due to Osweiler playing under center for most of the game, but that had to help. They didn't roll out as much as I thought they would. I hope we see more of that against the Pats.

Bad:

The pass-blocking by the OL is still really bad. Osweiler was consistently under pressure and was sacked 5 times in this game. It's one thing for Peyton to be sacked - he's got ZERO mobility, but Osweiler is quick and athletic. There's just no excuse for giving up that many sacks!

Osweiler has been sacked EIGHT times in only 1 and 1/3 games! And I deny totally that you can blame Osweiler. I don't think he's holding the ball too long, I think the OL just continues to suck at protection.

The offense overall only being able to score 17 points. The Bears defense is 8th overall in yards, but only the 24th scoring defense in the league. They should have been able to score a lot more points on that team.

17 points will get you beat by N.E. by about 15 so they really need to pick it up a LOT next week against the Patriots. Still it's a nice win.

One thing that annoyed me was the constant "Osweiler is auditioning for his job next season." Well, considering how Elway pampers his draft picks, unless he just flat sucks, he's going to be given the starting job, and if he struggles they are going to work with him and try and get him straightened out. He'd have to prove he CAN'T do the job before the Broncos would look for another QB. Osweiler is not "auditioning" for anything they are probably going to try and work with him and develop him for the next 2 years.

If he doesn't show signs of developing into a dependable QB by the end of the 2017 season then they might give up on him, but I'd be really surprised if they did so before then (baring total sucking by Osweiler).

underrated29
11-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Brock pulled a lot of fainting goats
The refs missed a dozen holds, PIs, hands to the face, what.the.freaking.hell? We never get holding calls on ththe it Oline. Wtf
Ronnie hill an may have had 100+ but he is just not that good. CJ is way better. Why he didn't get more carries is insane!
We won
Defensive breakdowns
Little pressure. We miss dmarcus ware!
Visit n kinda sucks IMO....a lot of nothing. Where is his pressure? On awesome play!!! After that not much.

slim
11-22-2015, 04:31 PM
the pass-blocking for the ol is still bad. Osweiler was sacked 5 times in this game. It's one thing for peyton to be sacked - he's got zero mobility, but osweiler is quick and athletic. There's just no excuse for giving up that many sacks.

lol

tomjonesrocks
11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
We made that one closer than it needed to be, but awesome way to start the Os era! Good: Osweiler. Can't ask much more from him in his debut. That's the kind of play that will keep him in control of the starting job. CJ/Ronnie. Great running all day today. Big props to them. DT: Fuggin beastly on that TD catch. Latimer. Best game of his career. He definitely has some chemistry with Brock. Tight Ends. They were making plays all day. Daniels had the drop, but overall a good game by he and VD. Miller. Great play to force that late turnover and overall good game by him. Bad: Stupid penalties. I guess I should expect the stupid personal fouls every week, but they still piss me off. Secondary. They were kinda victimized by some questionable PI, but they blew a couple too many coverages for my liking today. Lucky it didn't cost us more than it did. Refs. Zero penalties called on Chicago. Come on.

Agree but would put Kubiak's play calling in the bad. 2 4th and 1s to put the game away and you run Hillman up the gut and hard count? You have CJ, Thompson, and a 6'8" QB there for those situations. There were also series' of head scratching plays.

He could go in the good too for calling a game that worked for Brock but a mixed bag at best.

Also losing formatting on reply I'm not seeing Colquitt. If you mentioned him, yeah, he is inconsistent as hell.

SR
11-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Cugel, where the **** do you come up with this stuff?

Nomad
11-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Great first win for Osweiler. Everything is hunky dory.

Northman
11-22-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't think he's holding the ball too long, I think the OL just continues to suck at protection.

Clearly you didnt watch the game. Yes, the Oline did struggle at times today but Oz also had a couple of plays where he held on the ball way to long. Its expected because he is young but he didnt do the Oline any favors on a handful of plays today.

slim
11-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Agree but would put Kubiak's play calling in the bad. 2 4th and 1s to put the game away and you run Hillman up the gut and hard count? You have CJ, Thompson, and a 6'8" QB there for those situations. There were also series' of head scratching plays.

He could go in the good too for calling a game that worked for Brock but a mixed bag at best.

Also losing formatting on reply I'm not seeing Colquitt. If you mentioned him, yeah, he is inconsistent as hell.

Play calling has been a problem all year.

It's disappointing.

Cugel
11-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Clearly you didnt watch the game. Yes, the Oline did struggle at times today but Oz also had a couple of plays where he held on the ball way to long. Its expected because he is young but he didnt do the Oline any favors on a handful of plays today.

I watched the game and I didn't see Brock holding too long at all.

And even if you were right, that wouldn't account for 5 sacks. Five is a ton for a Bears team that is not generating a lot of sacks this season.

Northman
11-22-2015, 05:06 PM

And even if you were right, that wouldn't account for 5 sacks. Five is a ton for a Bears team that is not generating a lot of sacks this season.

I know it accounted for at least 2 of them.

Cugel
11-22-2015, 05:11 PM

He's been sacked 8 times in 1 and 1/3 game. Possibly he held it a bit long on a couple of occasions, but that's just off the chart.

To give perspective Russell Wilson was the NFL sack "leader" with 33 before today in 9 games. If he keeps it up he'd be sacked 58 times this year.

Osweiler is on pace to be sacked 96 times over a 16 game season - way more than tops in the NFL. I don't think he would remotely equal that, but something is going to have to change, because even 4 sacks a game is a real problem for an offense.

Nomad
11-22-2015, 05:15 PM
It's Brock's first game, he'll continue to develop. He could of forced the ball, in which, could of resulted in turnovers.....better to take the sack than the turnover. I don't see how one can critique him too much.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2015, 06:34 PM

That's what I saw. 3 were horrible protection, and 2 were from him holding the ball too long. Of course, Brock also showed good strength and athleticism to avoid pressure on more than one occassion, so 5 sacks is probably a good measuring stick to come to the conclusion, our O-line has 2 good players right now.

MOtorboat
11-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Good

Osweiler was pretty awesome. For his first start that was well above average.

Running game. Did fairly well until getting stiffed on two plays that really mattered at the end.

Bad

Undisciplined defense. No matter how much people dont want those penalties to be penalties, they all were. The Bears getting none is a whole different story, although I can only think of one incident where I thought Chicago deserved one.

Offensive line is not good. I'm not sure why people continue to explain it away and blame other aspects of the team.

Playcalling. Naked boot on your own 4 yard line? Not going for the win and then almost losing. Fox ball all over again.

BroncoWave
11-22-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm convinced Fox and Kubes switched headsets in the 4th quarter.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2015, 07:04 PM
I wonder if Mathis ever got his milk money back.

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2015, 07:14 PM
The Good: A win on the road to end a 2 game skid. That is all that really matters.

Osweiller was just tremendous for his first start. Really, it almost can't get any better. With our defense, I'm not sure it needs to. Brock did plenty to move the ball and put some points on the board, and allow for the running game to have a better chance. We don't have to score 35 points to win a game anymore. If Brock can play at this level, and God forbid actually improve some, we will be a very difficult out.

The Bad: The O-line is still the weakest part of the team. And by a lot. I was really hoping that by this point in the season that they would be performing at least average. The o-line is really holding the offense back, and if coaching hasn't made them passable by now, it likely won't.

The dumb, dumb, dumb, personal foul penalties that continue to plague us. They just can't happen. Not to mention that it seems that whenever we get one, the defense is out of sorts for the next couple of plays and it turns into points for the other team. Here too, I don't see it getting any better. The players don't even seem to think the calls have merit, so I don't see them altering any behavior. And as Kubiak said 2-3 weeks ago, we now have a reputation. We aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt on anything from here on out, (and we haven't for a few weeks either).

tripp
11-22-2015, 08:43 PM
The bad:

O-line for the most part sucked. Evan Mathis was pancaked again.

Defense was totally undisciplined and TJ Ward is becoming an embarrassment with his antics on the field. This defense has so much talent, why enable teams to march down the field on you by giving up stupid penalties?

With that being said some of those P.I. calls were so wishy washy, it's a joke.

The good:

Brock Oz, looked like a vet Qb out there.

DT, looked great, made the catches we needed to win the game.

VD and Owen Daniels played great, we'll need that all year for us to be competitive.

Ronnie and CJ are looking like a great duo to have. CJ bailed us out on that 3rd and 13(?) and got a 1st down in our own end.

Roby played great, he's becoming a solid DB.

Simple Jaded
11-22-2015, 10:10 PM
That's what I saw. 3 were horrible protection, and 2 were from him holding the ball too long. Of course, Brock also showed good strength and athleticism to avoid pressure on more than one occassion, so 5 sacks is probably a good measuring stick to come to the conclusion, our O-line has 2 good players right now.

2 good players on the OL? That's generous.

OrangeFanatic
11-23-2015, 12:59 AM
The bad:

O-line for the most part sucked. Evan Mathis was pancaked again.

Defense was totally undisciplined and TJ Ward is becoming an embarrassment with his antics on the field. This defense has so much talent, why enable teams to march down the field on you by giving up stupid penalties?

With that being said some of those P.I. calls were so wishy washy, it's a joke.

The good:

Brock Oz, looked like a vet Qb out there.

DT, looked great, made the catches we needed to win the game.

VD and Owen Daniels played great, we'll need that all year for us to be competitive.

Ronnie and CJ are looking like a great duo to have. CJ bailed us out on that 3rd and 13(?) and got a 1st down in our own end.

Roby played great, he's becoming a solid DB.

I've got to say pretty much this. Only argument I would make is that Ward did make some great plays/tackles tonight. He does need to get his shit in check.

Yashahla17
11-23-2015, 03:05 AM
Big ben takes alot of sacks he probably shouldn't take either, guys like brock and big ben and andrew lucks are going to take some sacks, you just got to hope they limit them and just throw it away sometimes but its hard because holding onto the ball and getting out of a jam for a big time pitch and catch is part of there games. When he starts taking vicious type hits then ill be concerned. With his size he should be able to take them.

Yashahla17
11-23-2015, 03:08 AM

Either way brock was effective going 20-27-260-2tds-0ints. All of this behind the same bad offensive line manning played behind..... So,its safe to say manning is just a all around liability, and yes the offensive line is below average.

Yashahla17
11-23-2015, 03:15 AM
We need to cut ward a tiny tiny tiny bit of slack because he did make up for his dumb personal foul with some great coverage and tackling, he single handed saved us from a touchdown down on the goal line. Cant wait for the game next sunday night. Should be good!!! Brock vs Brady

Valar Morghulis
11-23-2015, 04:22 AM

From what I heard on the radio, one of the sacks was a good sack as it keep the clock running and he did not turn it over by trying to force something, it was late in the fourth quarter, is that right?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2015, 05:00 AM
From what I heard on the radio, one of the sacks was a good sack as it keep the clock running and he did not turn it over by trying to force something, it was late in the fourth quarter, is that right?
Why must you mock me Dave....my kids stopped the recording with 2 minutes left in the 3rd...on my birthday no less.

Valar Morghulis
11-23-2015, 05:37 AM
Why must you mock me Dave....my kids stopped the recording with 2 minutes left in the 3rd...on my birthday no less.

Firstly, happy birthday

Secondly, I hope you beat them with a stick for that

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Firstly, happy birthday

Secondly, I hope you beat them with a stick for that
I used a boat oar.

Valar Morghulis
11-23-2015, 05:54 AM
I used a boat oar.

Text book answer, well done.

Foochacho
11-23-2015, 09:00 AM
One of the sacks was for barely any loss he was almost across the line of scrimmage he was moving around and stumbled otherwise he would of ran for a short gain. He is holding it to long on some but you can tell he is just trying to not force it. This is exactly what we wanted with our defense controlling the game. I am guessing the coaches are telling him the same. No turnovers and we beat most teams. Against the Pats we may need to force it some. At least he gained some confidence. If he came out and threw a couple picks he may be a mental case next week when we need him to trust his arm. He played like we needed him to play. This should of been a easier victory.

The refs really tried hard to F this up for us. I saw so many blatant penalties go uncalled it was hilarious. Holding, hands to the face, defensive and offensive pass interference. It is Rediculous that they had no penalties. Funny how no one ever gets called for holding our pass rush yet we can see it clear as day in the replays.

Nomad
11-23-2015, 11:06 AM
One of the sacks was for barely any loss he was almost across the line of scrimmage he was moving around and stumbled otherwise he would of ran for a short gain. He is holding it to long on some but you can tell he is just trying to not force it. This is exactly what we wanted with our defense controlling the game. I am guessing the coaches are telling him the same. No turnovers and we beat most teams. Against the Pats we may need to force it some. At least he gained some confidence. If he came out and threw a couple picks he may be a mental case next week when we need him to trust his arm. He played like we needed him to play. This should of been a easier victory.

The refs really tried hard to F this up for us. I saw so many blatant penalties go uncalled it was hilarious. Holding, hands to the face, defensive and offensive pass interference. It is Rediculous that they had no penalties. Funny how no one ever gets called for holding our pass rush yet we can see it clear as day in the replays.

Yep! Forcing the ball = turnovers. We know all too well from a QB named Cutler.

Agree on the inconsistency of the referees.

arapaho2
11-23-2015, 11:23 AM
we have four accepted offensive holdings on opposing offenses

the next five teams in defensive sacks (sacks mean we are getting pressures)

have

NightTrainLayne
11-23-2015, 11:23 AM

On that play I got the distinct impression that after the previous timeout, he was told to take a sack unless it was just absolutely wide open. He gave himself up pretty quickly.

On the good side, he's listening to the coaching, and a sack was definitely preferable to an incomplete stopping the clock or a turnover. On the bad side, the way it played out, I think it would have been just as good to just kneel on the ball. I.E., I think he maybe gave up on the play a little too quickly.

arapaho2
11-23-2015, 11:37 AM
On that play I got the distinct impression that after the previous timeout, he was told to take a sack unless it was just absolutely wide open. He gave himself up pretty quickly.

On the good side, he's listening to the coaching, and a sack was definitely preferable to an incomplete stopping the clock or a turnover. On the bad side, the way it played out, I think it would have been just as good to just kneel on the ball. I.E., I think he maybe gave up on the play a little too quickly.

there also should have been U.R called on that...when a qb gives himself up...plays dead

and you had two def dive into him late

BroncoWave
11-23-2015, 11:38 AM
there also should have been U.R called on that...when a qb gives himself up...plays dead

and you had two def dive into him late

Yeah, that was one of the more comical missed calls.

MasterShake
11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
The Good - The Broncos are 8-2 and our young QB is showing poise that should build his confidence moving forward.

The Bad - The media is drumming up a narrative about the Broncos that has nothing to do with how well they are playing. We still have a top defense and are fighting for a top 2 seed despite our issues.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2015, 12:09 AM

You and Brockweiler share the same b-day, when he gets sacked do you feel the pain?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-24-2015, 12:33 AM
You and Brockweiler share the same b-day, when he gets sacked do you feel the pain?

Something aches, I can tell you that.