PDA

View Full Version : NFL likely to allow trading of comp picks

VonDoom
11-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Could be big news for teams with a lot of picks, like us:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32m32 minutes ago

For first time this spring, NFL expected to allow teams to begin trading compensatory draft picks, per NFL sources. Should be more trades.

Northman
11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Best thing ever.

CrazyHorse
11-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Drew Brees here we come!!! :)

BroncoJoe
11-19-2015, 01:03 PM

Jesus.

Poet
11-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Oh man, I really like this.

MOtorboat
11-19-2015, 02:28 PM

I'm starting to get behind this because I kind of just want to see a bunch of heads explode.

7DnBrnc53
11-19-2015, 04:49 PM

Like heck. Denver better not trade for him.

Yashahla17
11-20-2015, 11:09 AM
This Is a good idea. I wonder how many the broncos are scheduled for?

Either way there not trading for drew brees.

Northman
11-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Like heck. Denver better not trade for him.

If he comes cheap he would be a great veteran backup.

VonDoom
11-20-2015, 12:17 PM
If he comes cheap he would be a great veteran backup.

Brees isn't backing up anyone next year.

Northman
11-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Guess Denver will have to pass then.

BroncoJoe
11-20-2015, 12:29 PM

Doesn't his contract run through the 2016 season? He's not going anywhere.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Drew Brees is averaging 330 ypg, to go along with 20 td's and 9 int's. Who said they didn't want Brees.here?

Northman
11-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Drew Brees is averaging 330 ypg, to go along with 20 td's and 9 int's. Who said they didn't want Brees.here?

I personally dont.

I really dont want the team to keep jumping from mercenary to mercenary and would rather them build a QB for the longterm and i dont think Denver will go after Brees either.

Valar Morghulis
11-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I personally dont. I really dont want the team to keep jumping from mercenary to mercenary and would rather them build a QB for the longterm and i dont think Denver will go after Brees either.

How would you feel about Stafford?

Potentially ten years in Denver?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I personally dont.

I really dont want the team to keep jumping from mercenary to mercenary and would rather them build a QB for the longterm and i dont think Denver will go after Brees either.

Well, Brees is the greatest player in Saints history. It would be crazy for them to let him walk after a great season.

Personally, I don't care if we bring 'mercenaries' if it allows us to be competitive. It could be a lifetime before we find one in the draft again.

Northman
11-20-2015, 12:59 PM

Im really not totally sold on Stafford honestly.

Right now he seems really inconsistent in terms of his TD/Int ratio and reminds me a bit much of Romo/Testaverde/Cutler with his play. I suppose a gamble on Stafford could pay off but it would have to be a reasonable cost. I think the other issue is most young QB's take about 3 years to get their shit in order so if Oz plays "ok" and Denver believes he can still be the future than what? It all depends on what Denver wants, do they want to build a team to try and win multiple SB's or keep hiring mercs every other couple of years?

Northman
11-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Well, Brees is the greatest player in Saints history. It would be crazy for them to let him walk after a great season.

Personally, I don't care if we bring 'mercenaries' if it allows us to be competitive. It could be a lifetime before we find one in the draft again.

The only problem is the cost for a lot of these guys which ends up eating up cap space and potential money for other areas of need.

BroncoJoe
11-20-2015, 01:07 PM
We tried the mercenary road. It has been a fun three years, but no Championship.

No thanks. I'd rather develop from within before we go down that road again.

VonDoom
11-20-2015, 01:10 PM

We got Manning when he was 36 and for two to three years, he played as well as any QB could play. Brees will be 37 in January. Do we think it's more likely that he will be a top 3 QB for the next three years or that age will catch up to him sooner rather than later? Plus he'll command top dollar, if they even let him go. Pass.

As for Stafford, I worry that we'd start to get into that "we can fix a flawed QB" mindset here. I guess if Oz is terrible, I'd be more open to it, but I'd rather see what we have right now and/or potentially draft someone.

VonDoom
12-02-2015, 02:25 PM
FYI, the trading of comp picks has passed, but won't be effective until 2017.

TXBRONC
12-02-2015, 02:57 PM
FYI, the trading of comp picks has passed, but won't be effective until 2017.

Well that sucks.

VonDoom
01-05-2016, 01:49 PM
In case you're curious, Nick at Over the Cap posted his comp pick projections for next year. The really interesting one will be whether Julius Thomas gets us a third or a fourth. Besides that, we should get a fourth and a sixth, if his projection is right:

http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2016-compensatory-draft-picks/

pulse
01-05-2016, 02:15 PM

I would rather focus on the offensive line and resign Osweiler. Stafford would just as well struggle in Kubiak's system if the line is inconsistent and can't pass block. Stafford struggled this year because he was constantly under duress. Want to make some trades? Shore up the line for Osweiler.

No trading comp picks until 2017 then? Oh well then this is all moot. I don't think we can make any regular trades for a stud tackle. I'd rather just use our first round pick to draft the top remaining tackle on the board.

TXBRONC
01-05-2016, 03:37 PM

IDK. Like North I'm not completely sold on him.

It will probably be much more costly to sign Stafford than to re-sign Osweiler.

NightTerror218
01-05-2016, 05:21 PM
IDK. Like North I'm not completely sold on him.

It will probably be much more costly to sign Stafford than to re-sign Osweiler.

I doubt Stafford is going anywhere. 2nd half of season under new OC he lit it up.

Dapper Dan
01-05-2016, 09:02 PM
I doubt Stafford is going anywhere. 2nd half of season under new OC he lit it up.

Because Jim Bob Cooter.

OrangeHoof
01-06-2016, 06:17 AM
Back to the OP, the conditional picks always seem to favor the better teams anyway. However they draw it up, it always seems to be the Patriots, Ravens and Colts that get the bonus picks. Allowing those picks to be traded probably won't help us much at all but it makes it easier for the Patriots to trade up the same year their #1 pick was forfeited. How conveeeeenient.

VonDoom
01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Back to the OP, the conditional picks always seem to favor the better teams anyway. However they draw it up, it always seems to be the Patriots, Ravens and Colts that get the bonus picks. Allowing those picks to be traded probably won't help us much at all but it makes it easier for the Patriots to trade up the same year their #1 pick was forfeited. How conveeeeenient.

It's not starting till 2017, so the Pats can't do jack in terms of trading up this year. Also, read Nick Korte's posts (I linked to one above) about how and why comp picks are given out. It's not just "good" teams, it's smart GM's. Elway has been getting more comp picks in recent years, so he obviously values them as well.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 12:41 PM
We tried the mercenary road. It has been a fun three years, but no Championship.

No thanks. I'd rather develop from within before we go down that road again.

Yeah.. but we WENT to the Super Bowl in the last 3 years. How many other teams have done that, and when was the last time Denver did? I'd much rather actually be competitive and going to championship games than simply say "yeah, but we are building" for 10 years.

So its a back-n-forth thing. No championships while actually playing in the championship... or no championships while you search and hope to find you a guy that can take you to a championship.

underrated29
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Yeah.. but we WENT to the Super Bowl in the last 3 years. How many other teams have done that, and when was the last time Denver did? I'd much rather actually be competitive and going to championship games than simply say "yeah, but we are building" for 10 years.

So its a back-n-forth thing. No championships while actually playing in the championship... or no championships while you search and hope to find you a guy that can take you to a championship.

Without Mercenaries our best most recent years are crap. Kyle Orton, Tim tebow 1 win, Brian Griese 0, cutler 0.
With Mercenaries: Jake plummer 2 wins (or 1?), Manning like 5 wins,

All of our playoff success has been with mercenaries. Id say regular season too for that matter- plummer and manning own those other qbs combined.

That said, we will be keeping Brock, he will be our starter next year and I have a lot of faith in him.
That said, I would not mind bringing in a guy like Stafford, or Brees or someone else, but I do not see it happeneing one single bit.

OrangeFanatic
01-06-2016, 02:13 PM

LOL, you mean the super bowl we lost in the first few plays/quarters? You talk about being competitive, how competitive were we in that SB? Yeah we were a total joke, just like most of our post season appearances with choker Manning. It just sucks people like you still quote AFC championships and "SUPER BOWLZ" like that means anything when you don't even show up. How many other one and done have we had?

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 02:28 PM
LOL, you mean the super bowl we lost in the first few plays/quarters? You talk about being competitive, how competitive were we in that SB? Yeah we were a total joke, just like most of our post season appearances with choker Manning. It just sucks people like you still quote AFC championships and "SUPER BOWLZ" like that means anything when you don't even show up. How many other one and done have we had?
LOL LOL LLOL

Yeah.. I mean the Super Bowl we were IN just two years ago.. yes. That is the SUPER BOWL that our Broncos were in. I'm guessing you are going to sit there and tell me that you would rahter "not go at all than to be beat like that." Great, that seems to be the mantra for the Cleveland Browns, too. They are never disappointed, and never competative. Keep thinking that going "One and done" is worse than not going to the playoffs at all. That's what I want. sitting at home and collecting those "Good" draft positions.

Thos AFC Championships and SUper Bowl appearances, DO mean something. It means your franchise...no...it means MY franchise is competative and relavent. There are plenty of franchises that don't go to the playoffs, and never sniff a Super Bowl, and I'm sure they are just LOVING that they don't have a "choker Manning" to lead their franchise. YOu might want to sit with some of them sometime and pat them on the back, and tell them just how LUCKY they are to not have gone to the playoffs and not to have lost playing in a Super Bowl.

So what are you suggesting? How many teams have followed having HoF QBs and gone decades without even showing up for a Super Bowl? How many years did it take Pittsburgh to get back after their late 70s win? How about the Bills after going 4 in a row? How long after Young retired did it take the Niners? How about Miami? How long has it been since Aikman has retired in Dallas? How many Super Bowls did NE win/go to before Brady? How long was it for Indianapolis to win a Super Bowl before Manning? How many Super Bowls had New Orleans gone to before Brees? How about St. Louis before Warner...or better yet... how many since Warner?

I'm not saying that building from within doesn't sound nice and is great.. .IF you can find the right QB in the draft. But finding that guy, is VERY VERY hard to do. It's why there aren't 32 in teh NFL. Hell, there might be 10. What YOU are suggesting, is just rolling the dice and HOPING that we can accomplish something that every team in the NFL is trying to accomplish, and nearly EVERY ONE of them has failed... "Finding that guy."

It's so simple, right? Just draft a guy, or promote the guy we have and "build around him." Yeah, that works. If that was so easy, EVERY team in the NFL would be competative without having that franchise QB..but they aren't.. and that's why. "Building around" that guy just isn't easy, and doesn't work.

SURE there are the rarities like the 2000 Ravens and the Tampa Bay Bucs after that...but how many SBs did those teams go to after their one showing? Why weren't they competative on a regular basis? Because they didn't have the QB. They got struck by lightning, and t hat just is very hard to repeat without the guy behind center.

So laughing at the idea that hiring a "mercenary" doesn't seem to be very wise, considering the success this team has had.. STAYING competative, and being relevant...via finding the right QB to fit that role.

OrangeFanatic
01-06-2016, 02:45 PM
So laughing at the idea that hiring a "mercenary" doesn't seem to be very wise, considering the success this team has had.. STAYING competative, and being relevant...via finding the right QB to fit that role.

Success? Everyone has been saying superbowl or bust for the last three-four years. That why were gonna keep choker Manning right? So yeah we've had no success considering we have been one and done so many times with the first round bye. Oh wait we made it once, and completely embarrassed ourselves.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Success? Everyone has been saying superbowl or bust for the last three-four years. That why were gonna keep choker Manning right? So yeah we've had no success considering we have been one and done so many times with the first round bye. Oh wait we made it once, and completely embarrassed ourselves.

You either didn't read (which is my guess, as the post was more than 2 sentences), or it just went over your head. Either way, this is a comment that sounds pretty silly.

OrangeFanatic
01-06-2016, 02:52 PM
You either didn't read (which is my guess, as the post was more than 2 sentences), or it just went over your head. Either way, this is a comment that sounds pretty silly.

So you round about ad hom me and don't make a valid argument. Nice job.

You talk much (20 paragraphs) but say little.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 02:57 PM
So you round about ad hom me and don't make a valid argument. Nice job.

You talk much (20 paragraphs) but say little.

I didn't ad hominem in the least.

But I would rather say little and make sense rather than talking and sounding foolish. Food for thought.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Again.. I get wanting to promote and build from draft. But it's not very easy at the QB position, and the ENTIRE NFL has failed at it for most of their franchise existance. Most teams have only ever had one franchise QB, if have ever even had one. They are SO hard to find, and so rare, that many times building with a GOOD QB...signed via FA even.... makes life SOOO much easier.