PDA

View Full Version : Brock named the starter vs. Bears

GEM
11-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Just got a Breaking News from Channel 7.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/denver-broncos-make-it-official-peyton-manning-is-out-brock-osweiler-is-in-for-bears-game?audiencePageId=1372052307

The Denver Broncos aren't waiting.

Head coach Gary Kubiak has told the team, and the media, that Peyton Manning will not play against the Chicago Bears next week and the starting quarterback will be Brock Osweiler.

VonDoom
11-16-2015, 03:31 PM
I posted a bunch of Tweets in the game day thread, and Carol had some in the "who should start" thread. I'm too lazy to repost, but you get the idea. Let's Brock and roll.

GEM
11-16-2015, 03:33 PM
I posted a bunch of Tweets in the game day thread, and Carol had some in the "who should start" thread. I'm too lazy to repost, but you get the idea. Let's Brock and roll.

I never look other places. :lol: I get it and then just post a new thread. I hear it at work or get the emails and just bump over here and post.

GEM
11-16-2015, 03:34 PM
It's official:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 57s58 seconds ago

Kubiak said he told the team that Peyton Manning WILL NOT PLAY this week. Brock Osweiler will start.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m

Kubiak: "This is a little bit different for him [Osweiler], but I know he'll do a great job in his preparation."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m

Kubiak said "the grind of the season" has worn Manning down.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m

Kubiak said he told Manning that his "total focus" has to be on rehabilitation work this week.

Manning will not dress at all. Trevor Siemian will be the backup in Chicago.

Kubiak said he reviewed the entire week, and felt Manning had to step back and get back to feeling good.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 5m

Kubiak: "I know that's the best decision for [Peyton], to get him back and healthy."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 5m

Kubiak said he told the team that Peyton Manning WILL NOT PLAY this week. Brock Osweiler will start.

Here we go. :)

Nomad
11-16-2015, 03:36 PM
A win on the road for Brock is gonna be a nice start for his career, and beating Cutler will be a bonus.

tripp
for those about to Brock, we salute you.

GEM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 57s58 seconds ago

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 53s54 seconds ago

Kubiak said he reviewed the entire week, and felt Manning had to step back and get back to feeling good.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 38s39 seconds ago

Manning will not dress at all. Trevor Siemian will be the backup in Chicago.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 50s51 seconds ago

Trevor Siemian will be the backup.. Manning won't dress. Kubiak told him told total focus for Manning on recovering. He will not practice

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 34s35 seconds ago

Kubiak said there's no timetable for Peyton's return. He will not practice at all. They will re-evaluate things Monday.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 30s30 seconds ago

Kubiak on Manning: "He was doing everything he could for this football team. And he would do it this week too."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 22s23 seconds ago

Kubiak said "the grind of the season" has worn Manning down

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 12s12 seconds ago

Kubiak on Osweiler: "He went in there and played with a lot of confidence. ... I know he'll do a great job."

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 34s35 seconds ago

Asked if he reevaluates after Osweiler plays against Bears, Kubiak said: "We're all in this week. I haven't gone past today."

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 25s25 seconds ago

Kubiak wanted to make this decision last week. Very well should have. Take the choice away from the player.

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 20s20 seconds ago

Kubiak on Osweiler making first career @NFL start: “This is different — 'It’s all yours starting today.’” #DENvsCHI

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 21s22 seconds ago

Broncos were at the same crossroads a year ago when Manning played with a strained quad. Should have rested him.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 13s14 seconds ago

Kubiak: "There were some things along the way that I should have listened to."

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak said he spent an hour meeting with Manning today. Doesn't seem like Manning agreed with the decision, but understands it.

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak on #Manning accepting Kubiak’s position for this week: “I’ve never met a player who agreed to that.” #DENvsCHI

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak acknowledges that Peyton still wants to play. Praises him for his competitiveness. But a coach has to make that decision. Not player.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Emmanuel Sanders is expected to "have a normal week" this week. He sustained a finger injury Sunday, Kubiak said.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak: "Our defense was fighting their tail off ... I was so impressed (with the D) yesterday."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 24s24 seconds ago

Kubiak on Ward ejection: “Another frustrating penalty. Two guys going after it after a tough [TD]. We can’t lose our captain on the field."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 32s33 seconds ago

Talib back in the building and back at work.. #Broncos ..

And the rest from gameday thread.

BroncoJoe
11-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Brock and roll.

LOVE IT!

BroncoJoe
11-16-2015, 03:53 PM
HEY CUGEL!

WTF are you?

A hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomad
11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
HEY CUGEL!

WTF are you?

I take he's not a big fan of Brock's?

BroncoJoe
11-16-2015, 04:01 PM
I take he's not a big fan of Brock's?

He guaranteed that Brock would not start a game this year.

wayninja
11-16-2015, 04:13 PM
The guarantee, I believe, was "barring injury". Of course, it's sort of an empty guarantee with that qualification as "injury" is pretty much universally expected as being announced regardless.

Jaws
11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Good that I'm getting this game on TV then.

NightTrainLayne
11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm glad that they didn't waste any time, and announced this today. You have to give Brock the best chance you can imo.

Manning, go and get healthy.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 04:20 PM
I will watch a broncos game live for the first time in weeks. Cant wait!!!!

TimHippo
11-16-2015, 04:20 PM
HEY CUGEL!

WTF are you?

I'm pretty sure Cugel had an injury exception in the case Manning got hurt.

VonDoom
11-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 6m6 minutes ago

Trevor Siemian said practice and scouts rep have helped him

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Brock "I am the starter this week at Chicago. That's all it is. I will support Peyton"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Osweiler "my teammates have been very supportive.... Last night getting reps helped my confidence."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 4m4 minutes ago

.@bosweiler17: "A great challenge ahead of us. ... Going to take the entire TEAM to go into Chicago and win this weekend." #DENvsCHi

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

Osweiler "I have been preparing like I would start. That's how have to approach it. The more I play the more I learn"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

Brock "Peyton has been extremely supportive. Said to let him know if he could help. Peyton is the leader of this team"

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 3m3 minutes ago

.@bosweiler17: "It's a dream come true. Ever since I was 6 or 7 years old I dreamed of playing in the [@NFL] and starting in the NFL."

Northman
11-16-2015, 04:59 PM
He guaranteed that Brock would not start a game this year.

The guy is wrong about everything. This is no different. :lol:

BroncoJoe
11-16-2015, 05:10 PM
The guarantee, I believe, was "barring injury". Of course, it's sort of an empty guarantee with that qualification as "injury" is pretty much universally expected as being announced regardless.

I'm pretty sure Cugel had an injury exception in the case Manning got hurt.

Not at first - that only came later.

I might have to create a CUGEL is WRONG thread in the lounge and dig up all those posts. I wish I had more time...

sneakers
11-16-2015, 06:16 PM
brockembe mutumbo

underrated29
11-16-2015, 06:40 PM
BOSSweiler!

chazoe60
11-16-2015, 06:43 PM
BOSSweiler!

I just hope he's not LOSSweiler. :(

LawDog
11-16-2015, 06:44 PM
B-Weezey

Slick
11-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Cugel said Brock wouldn't start unless Peyton got hurt from the get go. It still doesn't make him any less annoying. He lectures us like we're 5 year olds who've never seen a game.

chazoe60
11-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Cugel said Brock wouldn't start unless Peyton got hurt from the get go. It still doesn't make him any less annoying. He lectures us like we're 5 year olds who've never seen a game.

Is that what he does in those long rambling posts of his? Good thing I never read them.

Nomad
11-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Ozzy Ozweiler. Get on his Crazy Train. :D

Slick
11-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Is that what he does in those long rambling posts of his? Good thing I never read them.

I read them if he quotes me or is directly responding to something I said but the rest of the time I lose interest after the first couple if sentences because he is so effing condescending.

chazoe60
11-16-2015, 06:50 PM
I read them if he quotes me or is directly responding to something I said but the rest of the time I lose interest after the first couple if sentences because he is so effing condescending.

I always figured him and Silkamilkamonaco were the same person, I don't read his posts anymore either because he does the same condescending bullshit.

Slick
11-16-2015, 06:53 PM
I always figured him and Silkamilkamonaco were the same person, I don't read his posts anymore either because he does the same condescending bullshit.

Silk has been a grumpy poster the last couple of years for sure.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 06:56 PM
If guys just stop reading everyone's post then what would the forum be like? The same few people talking to each other? While guys like cugel are annoying excuse makers he's still needed on a forum like anybody else. Without different views forums would be pretty boring would've they?

Northman
11-16-2015, 07:07 PM
If guys just stop reading everyone's post then what would the forum be like? The same few people talking to each other? While guys like cugel are annoying excuse makers he's still needed on a forum like anybody else. Without different views forums would be pretty boring would've they?

Nah, dont need guys like Cugel. There are plenty of great discussions without him to be honest.

Joel
11-16-2015, 07:29 PM
I hope to be wrong, but expect a brief honeymoon: Our line still sucks, so our QB still has no run support nor protection, and the opposing coaches in 2 of our next 3 games (both on the road) know Ozs abilities and limitations better than Kubiak does (in Fox and Gases case, MUCH better;) the other game is, of course, hosting the unbeaten defending SB "champs." At least most of our final 7 are at home. But I'll be thrilled just to get through the honeymoon without the groom drowning in the tub.

SR
11-16-2015, 07:33 PM

And I'm the one that gets a CYP for calling him out directly.

Cugel
11-16-2015, 07:33 PM
HEY CUGEL!

WTF are you?

You think it's funny that Peyton is hurt do you?

Perhaps you should change your motto to "Raider Joe." :coffee:

BTW: Unless Peyton is so injured he can't return this season he's going to start again this season, and especially in the playoffs.

Cugel
11-16-2015, 07:38 PM
I hope to be wrong, but expect a brief honeymoon: Our line still sucks, so our QB still has no run support nor protection, and the opposing coaches in 2 of our next 3 games (both on the road) know Ozs abilities and limitations better than Kubiak does (in Fox and Gases case, MUCH better;) the other game is, of course, hosting the unbeaten defending SB "champs." At least most of our final 7 are at home. But I'll be thrilled just to get through the honeymoon without the groom drowning in the tub.

Until now, nobody has ever bothered to game plan how you stop Brock Osweiler. The Bears will be doing that this week, and Adam Gase knows everything about Osweiler and they can design a defense specially to stop him. Expect to see lots of disguised coverages he's never seen before and lots of delayed blitzes to take advantage of Denver's porous OL.

Personally, I'm excited like everybody to see what Brock can do, but realistically, he's a raw rookie who's never started a game in the NFL regular season. It's going to be a struggle.

If he can pull out a win that would be great.

But, that's going to depend on whether the Broncos can run the ball a lot better than they did this week. They need to help him if he's going to succeed.

They can't just trot out there and expect him to throw on every down.

NightTerror218
11-16-2015, 07:41 PM
I would love to see Brock get 3-4 starts under his belt. Let the offensive line play together more and then end of season let manning back and see how he does with offense before going into playoffs.

Slick
11-16-2015, 07:45 PM

I think the majority of the forum feels the same way. Excited to see what he can do, but realize the deck is not stacked in his favor.

Nomad
11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
I think the majority of the forum feels the same way. Excited to see what he can do, but realize the deck is not stacked in his favor.

Yep! I'm sure they'll be growing pains, hopefully BRONCO fans are patient and open minded enough.

Rick
11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
I just want to see if he has something and looks to be a guy to build around or if we are looking for a new QB next year.

I think he has all the physical tools to be a great fit in the Kubiak system but does he have the accuracy and brains? We will see.

Nomad
11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
I just want to see if he has something and looks to be a guy to build around or if we are looking for a new QB next year.

I think he has all the physical tools to be a great fit in the Kubiak system but does he have the accuracy and brains? We will see.

How many games are you gonna give him before a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

NightTerror218
11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Until now, nobody has ever bothered to game plan how you stop Brock Osweiler. The Bears will be doing that this week, and Adam Gase knows everything about Osweiler and they can design a defense specially to stop him. Expect to see lots of disguised coverages he's never seen before and lots of delayed blitzes to take advantage of Denver's porous OL.

Personally, I'm excited like everybody to see what Brock can do, but realistically, he's a raw rookie who's never started a game in the NFL regular season. It's going to be a struggle.

But, that's going to depend on whether the Broncos can run the ball a lot better than they did this week. They need to help him if he's going to succeed.

The only thing he is raw at is live game snaps. He has studied with Manning for several years. Learned how to read film. I think he will fair better in the mistakes department. I
Am hoping he will be able to read the defense's better then a rookie due to this. He has prepared for every game the past few years like he was starting. I am praying it will pay off.

Rick
11-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Accuracy should be pretty easy to see, brains may take time to see.

iLands
11-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Honestly, I'm excited to see Brock start. I wonder how he's taken to the coaching - for instance, remember the point of emphasis of him raising his release point? I want to see if he can keep that up through pressure and when things break down. It would be nice to worry not about batted balls.

elsid13
11-16-2015, 08:02 PM

I would like to point no one has seen him in Kubes WCO/ZB systems. No game film will hamper the DCs.

Joel
11-16-2015, 08:21 PM
The only thing he is raw at is live game snaps. He has studied with Manning for several years. Learned how to read film. I think he will fair better in the mistakes department. I Am hoping he will be able to read the defense's better then a rookie due to this. He has prepared for every game the past few years like he was starting. I am praying it will pay off.
In either 2012 or 2013 I saw a post here saying Oz tried not to distract Manning with lots of questions interrupting film and practice sessions. This is also the first season he's had ANY first team practice reps; Manning has hogged them all throughout his career because his preparation's so exhaustive, exhaustING (which doesn't help his season stamina as he nears 40, but it took Kubiak and two straight years of debilitating late-season injuries to convince him of that.)

The notion Oz can just seamlessly slide in from the bench and play well as quickly and consistently as Rodgers did just doesn't have much basis; IIRC, Favre was one of those guys noted for not wanting to practice much once he'd mastered his craft (which may be part of of why Manning would have to play 3-4 more years to break his career Int record.) The main thing I'm worried about is that Ozs growing pains in a new offense with bad blocking PREVENT rather than providing development.

MOtorboat
11-16-2015, 08:57 PM
The starting quarterback doesn't "hog" reps. He gets them because its the most important thing in practice the whole week. It's why Kubiak made this decision on Monday.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 09:36 PM
How many games are you gonna give him before a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

He has to get an entire off season and season as the guy going into next year. Dude may have bee around for 4 years but hes never played meaningful snaps. So he needs his fair shake at being the guy. If that half was any indication then hell be just fine. Especially when the o line gets sured up. Brock has all the toys at the skill positions.

MOtorboat
11-16-2015, 09:38 PM
He has to get an entire off season and season as the guy going into next year. Dude may have bee around for 4 years but hes never played meaningful snaps. So he needs his fair shake at being the guy. If that half was any indication then hell be just fine. Especially when the o line gets sured up. Brock has all the toys at the skill positions.

I've heard this before...

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I've heard this before...

So what? Any young quarterback needs a large sample to really develope or flame out. Probably wont have to worry about brock flaming out though.

I Eat Staples
11-16-2015, 10:41 PM
If Brock isn't good, he'll never be good. He's had 4 years to learn under the best to ever play the game. He'll either come in and look good and show he can be the future QB, or he just sucks and has no future in the NFL.

NightTerror218
11-16-2015, 10:50 PM
In either 2012 or 2013 I saw a post here saying Oz tried not to distract Manning with lots of questions interrupting film and practice sessions. This is also the first season he's had ANY first team practice reps; Manning has hogged them all throughout his career because his preparation's so exhaustive, exhaustING (which doesn't help his season stamina as he nears 40, but it took Kubiak and two straight years of debilitating late-season injuries to convince him of that.)

The notion Oz can just seamlessly slide in from the bench and play well as quickly and consistently as Rodgers did just doesn't have much basis; IIRC, Favre was one of those guys noted for not wanting to practice much once he'd mastered his craft (which may be part of of why Manning would have to play 3-4 more years to break his career Int record.) The main thing I'm worried about is that Ozs growing pains in a new offense with bad blocking PREVENT rather than providing development.

He will having growing pains as a new starting QB but he is not a rookie. Had years of NFL coaching and film study.

tomjonesrocks
11-16-2015, 10:55 PM
If Brock isn't good, he'll never be good. He's had 4 years to learn under the best to ever play the game. He'll either come in and look good and show he can be the future QB, or he just sucks and has no future in the NFL.

Even Aaron Rodgers 2008 wasn't smooth sailing out of the gate. Not saying Brock deserves a multi-year evaluation, but there will be loads of questions even if he plays great. Kaepernick was on his way to the HOF after a couple decent outings.

Just kind of ridiculous IMO.

chazoe60
11-16-2015, 11:04 PM

Terrible take.

I Eat Staples
11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Even Aaron Rodgers 2008 wasn't smooth sailing out of the gate. Not saying Brock deserves a multi-year evaluation, but there will be loads of questions even if he plays great. Kaepernick was on his way to the HOF after a couple decent outings.

Just kind of ridiculous IMO.

Rodgers passed for over 4,000 yards in his first season starting.

For the most part, the days of "developing" QBs by sitting them is over anyway. Most top prospects and guys that go on to be franchise QBs start from day 1. Osweiler never had the opportunity because of Peyton, but if you're a 2nd round pick and get to learn behind the greatest QB ever for 4 years, there is absolutely no excuse for not being good right away.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Is os starting his first season? Has os went through otas and camp as the guy? Its foolish as hell to say these few starts are just it for him.

FanInAZ
11-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Ozzy Ozweiler. Get on his Crazy Train. :D

He's going to be biting the heads off of chickens on the sideline :shocked:

Isn't that a little too graphic for little children in the stands to be seeing :shocked:

tripp
11-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Rodgers passed for over 4,000 yards in his first season starting.

For the most part, the days of "developing" QBs by sitting them is over anyway. Most top prospects and guys that go on to be franchise QBs start from day 1. Osweiler never had the opportunity because of Peyton, but if you're a 2nd round pick and get to learn behind the greatest QB ever for 4 years, there is absolutely no excuse for not being good right away.

What do you consider "good right away"?

I expect him to be able to command the offense and run most plays effectively. I'm not sure if he'll be on the money with all of his passes, maybe some of them as timing is something that you get from a lot of practice with your receivers which I don't think he's done. I'm hopeful of his stats being some where around 2 TD's, 250 yards passing. I expect an INT, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think that will be a good outing for him against a team that's preparing for him.

MOtorboat
11-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Is os starting his first season? Has os went through otas and camp as the guy? Its foolish as hell to say these few starts are just it for him.

But it's not foolish for fans to expect a team at 7-2 to get decent production out of its backup quarterback when the starting quarterback is benched.

I see you setting up those excuses though. It's cute.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 11:56 PM
This guy must be drinking whiskey.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 11:57 PM
Who the hell said brock would play bad? Your not even paying attention to what were talking about.

Canmore
11-17-2015, 04:37 AM

???

Joel
11-17-2015, 05:48 PM
The starting quarterback doesn't "hog" reps. He gets them because its the most important thing in practice the whole week. It's why Kubiak made this decision on Monday.
The #2 usually gets a few "just in case" reps each week; Mannings never have, because he always stays on the field overpreparing right up till the end of each practice. That's why they had to start MAKING him take rest days (which is actually something I didn't factor in: Oz got THOSE practices last year) and made him split practice time with Oz this year. Granted, Sorgi and Painter were 6th rounders, but lack of chemistry and experience with the first team offense hurt them, too.

There's been a few posts on Latimer playing better with Oz' greater physical ability getting the ball, but how much of that is because the #5 WR gets a lot more reps with the #2 QB than the #5 WR gets with the #1 QB or #1 WR gets with the #2 QB? Right now, Oz knows Norwood and Latimers play better than DT or Sanders': Is that cause for concern?

Meanwhile...

As MO says, we've been down this road before: Elway doesn't owe your boy jack, and will do what's best for the team; if he thinks that's starting Oz, that's what he'll do (while quietly drafting and/or signing some insurance) but if not, irrespective of how well we do with/despite Oz, well, the Jets have a 4th round pick (and NO QB) every year.... ;)

slim
11-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Duh

LawDog
11-17-2015, 08:04 PM
???

He means "shored up" as in fixing the holes, etc.

#englishishard

BORDERLINE
11-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Excited to see Brock. I still believe if the SB is the goal Manning will be the one behind center. I think Brock will do great. DT should be a big help this Sunday vs the Bears secondary. I also would like to see a bomb to Sanders , Brock can deliver those!!