PDA

View Full Version : Coach Kubiak's Post Game Press Conference

Cugel
11-16-2015, 02:24 AM
This is worth listening to in depth, because it's basically the opposite of the usual coach speak. He's pretty blunt. Peyton was hurt the past couple of weeks and was unable to practice all week until Friday.

In retrospect there's just no way he should have been out there. Hopefully going forward they won't let him play if he's this injured - battling a foot injury (which normally takes up to 6 weeks to heal), as well as rib injuries and his shoulder problems.

Q: "Coach when Peyton came out of the game was he benched for ineffectiveness, injury, what was the basis for the decision?"

Kubiak: "No, to be honest with you I was protecting him. I was worried about him. Let me just say this. Obviously, I'm very disappointed in the football game, give KC credit they played a great football game, Andy had them ready to go.

I'm disappointed in myself. This is on me. I probably should have made a decision not to play him in the game, and the reason I needed to make that decision, and probably a tough decision there, he practiced Friday, he felt good, he came out Saturday and his ribs were bothering him a little bit, and I probably should have said right there 'no, he's not going to go this week', but he's a competitor, he wanted to go, Aquib was out, DeMarcus was out, he felt like he could go. But, I'm disappointed in myself, because I should have made that decision yesterday and I didn't. And that's on me.

Q: "So, should Brock start next week against Chicago?"

A: "No. He's our QB. If Peyton is healthy and ready to go, Peyton's our QB."

Q: "Was it the foot then that was really bothering him?"

A: "I think it was a combination of things Mike. His shoulder was bothering him a bit, and he got some treatment on his foot this week, his foot was bothering him after the Colt game, and then Saturday he came in and his ribs were bothering him a little bit, so I sit there and my job's to gather information and make decisions and when I look back and as that week progressed and Saturday rolled around, I should have made a better decision for our football team, so I'm disappointed in myself."

Q: "Because he's Peyton Manning, was your decision different?"

A: "I trust players, and especially veteran players, but it wasn't like he didn't practice, he did practice on Friday and I watched him in practice and I saw him make all the plays and make all the throws, and I guess the point I'm trying to make is that when Saturday there was more [injury problems] that's when I felt I should have said 'no.' That's my point, but guys want to play, they're competitive they want to play for their football team, that's why he's a great player, that's why he's a Hall of Famer, but sometimes as a coach you have to say 'no. I don't think this is the right thing today. So. . . .

I didn't feel we were out of the game, if we could start moving the ball and make some plays. And so I wanted to try and give him an opportunity to get us going. And it wasn't all him, obviously we struggled in some protections, and similar things. And I had talked to him, and said 'I'm going to give you another series and if we can't protect you and we can't make some plays then this is what we're going to do, so I had conversations with him prior to it."

Q: Did you notice right away first drive out there there were problems?

A: "I wouldn't say that. That third play of the game [1st INT] that was just a poor decision with the ball, he knows that. His rhythm is off, the play's kind of broken so it's late [the throw], but our defense is playing well, keeping us in it, it's a two score game right up until the end of the half, so we need to make a play or two to get ourselves going and get back in the football game, so I wouldn't say I saw that right off the bat. I'm just sitting here at the end of the day saying that I made a poor decision."

. . . .

Q: "How much help do you think your Offensive Line gave Peyton and also Brock today?"

A: "Well, that's my point. And I just told the team that it's easy when you go through something like this to try and act like you have all the answers right away, but smart people ion this business and I've been through this before, go stop and go back and look and look and you make sure everybody is involved in the look, and you keep your composure and look at the big picture, and not just try and narrow it down today."

Q: "But halfway through the season this offensive struggles seems to be a pattern. So how much is this a concern, because not much is really changing."

A: "No, I don't agree with you. I think there's been some times we've shown some improvement and done some things better. Today we wanted to try and run the ball and help our QB out and [yet] we had 4 or 5 negative football runs in the first half. So, I don't want to sit there and say this is the problem or that is the problem, I need to sit back and take a look at it."

Q: "Peyton looked far more comfortable throwing in pre-game than he did in your first two possessions. Did he express anything to you that he was not feeling right?"

A: "No Jeff, I think in all my years of doing this for so long, being around some great QBs, I think I need to see that big picture of the week and you're right. I felt in watching him warm up that we're ready to go, but when I go back and look at that week and look at that sequence of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday ultimately, I needed to listen a hell of a lot better than I did. That's what I'm talking about.

Q: "At this point is the bigger concern the foot or the ribs?"

A: "I think he's just beat up through the course of the season. And there's a lot of players beat up, and that's part of the NFL, but he is our QB, and it's my job to have my thumb on every player, but I definitely have to have it on that one. But, we're 9 weeks in and he's been hit a bunch the last few weeks and that takes its toll."

Q: "What are your initial reactions to Brock's play today?"

A: "Well, he battled. He came out of some piles, protection wise we didn't protect him well on some plays, yet he came out and made plays. He took some shots going down the field to make some plays for his team. I wasn't surprised. He's a listener. He's been working hard and watching #18 for many many years so I think he's always working toward his opportunities, so he went in there and battled."

Q: "That rib injury. Was that something that came up out of the blue? Did he get hit or something?"

A: "That's just something that came up Saturday after he went through Friday's practice. He mentioned it to Greek and received some treatment on that on Saturday. That was just another piece of information in the sequence, I guess."

-----------------

Manning's interview:

A: "I have a really hard time using that [injury] as an excuse. I had some injuries during the week, and Greek and the training staff worked overtime getting me feeling that I could go out there and play. I felt good enough to go out there and play. Could that be the reason? I guess it could be.

I wanted to go, and I felt I could go. I wanted to be out there.

Yashahla17
11-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Manning practiced friday.... And injured his ribs in a walk through practice..... But yet his body is just not finished physically? Kubiak knowing this should have pulled the plug vs kc, next week @ bears and even the new england game. Then allowed him to come back for his record.

Cugel
11-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Peyton was injured, not "finished physically." Was he "finished" in the Packers game, which you always ignore because it doesn't fit your idiotic "Peyton is washed up!" theory?

Peyton Manning, 21 of 29 attempts (73%) for 340 yards, 11.75 yards per pass attempt, and a QBR of 93.6.

To put some perspective on how good Peyton was playing JUST THREE WEEKS AGO, Ben Roethlisberger is leading the league in yards per attempt - with 8.94 and Tom Brady with yards per game of 338, while Drew Brees is completing a league high 69.5% of his passes.

But, obviously Peyton got "washed up" in the last 3 weeks, so just continue to ignore that game. :rolleyes:

BroncoJoe
11-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Peyton was injured, not "finished physically." Was he "finished" in the Packers game, which you always ignore because it doesn't fit your idiotic "Peyton is washed up!" theory?

Peyton Manning, 21 of 29 attempts (73%) for 340 yards, 11.75 yards per pass attempt, and a QBR of 93.6.

To put some perspective on how good Peyton was playing JUST THREE WEEKS AGO, Ben Roethlisberger is leading the league in yards per attempt - with 8.94 and Tom Brady with yards per game of 338, while Drew Brees is completing a league high 69.5% of his passes.

But, obviously Peyton got "washed up" in the last 3 weeks, so just continue to ignore that game. :rolleyes:

Or, you can choose to ignore the other 8 games. I'm thrilled he had a good game against the Packers. The other 7? Not so much.

Cugel
11-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Or, you can choose to ignore the other 8 games. I'm thrilled he had a good game against the Packers. The other 7? Not so much.

Of course he was beyond HORRIBLE in the Chiefs game, and he struggled in most of the rest too (except the last 1/2 of the Indy game).

The question is "why"?

Peyton can't be great in one game and horrible two weeks later for no reason. You can't ignore ANY of the games. You have to account logically for what's happening.

Obviously if he was "physically washed up" he wouldn't have had a great game against the Packers.

Did he suddenly get "washed up" sometime between the 2nd half of the Colts game and the start of the Chiefs game?

No, he tore a ligament in his foot and can't push off and get anything on the ball. Result = 4 INTs and a 0.0 QBR.

BroncoJoe
11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Or, he's 39 years old, and the nagging injuries that only effect younger players minimally, effect him severely and he can't heal.

He had nearly 2 weeks off before the Packer game.

Dreadnought
11-17-2015, 04:46 PM

I suspect that, sadly, the Packer game doesn't look as impressive now as it did then, hindsight being 20/20 and all. The Pack was much more of a mess than we thought.