PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defense knows that cutting preventable penalties is a priority

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 05:15 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the price of self-inflicted mistakes is the first loss of the season and a suspension for Pro Bowl cornerback Aqib Talib, everyone is on notice.

As a result, Head Coach Gary Kubiak had no trouble getting his players -- particularly on defense -- to sit up in their seats Wednesday and take notice when he spoke of penalties caused by anger and emotional reaction, and not by physical play.

"He's talking about the things you can control," defensive end Malik Jackson said. "The Aqib thing, and me throwing the ball at the guy in the Raiders game, those things are the ones he's talking about -- the things that we can control."

rest - plus Kubes video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-defense-knows-that-cutting-preventable-penalties-is-a-priority/5700a366-cb17-49a5-9cde-21844455ac7a

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 05:17 PM
from same article -

Whether it's fair or not, the Broncos are getting a reputation. And it feeds on itself. The perception that a defense plays to the limit -- and beyond it -- brings greater scrutiny from officials, and could perpetuate the Broncos' current standing as the league's leading defense in personal fouls called.

"I told the players that you’re not going to get the benefit of the doubt sometimes whenever you’re that high," Kubiak said. "You start to get reputations in this league. It’s something that we have to change."

And if it doesn't change, it means the Broncos might be called for penalties that are borderline, at best -- like on the field-goal attempt when Danny Trevathan was whistled for holding.

“To me, that means that they’re watching us extra closely. If you watch that play, he [Trevathan] was not holding [the Colt player's] arm at all. I’m not sure whether the other teams are saying something or whether they’re coming to the game knowing the Broncos have X amount of personal foul calls and these guys are known for it.

more in article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-defense-knows-that-cutting-preventable-penalties-is-a-priority/5700a366-cb17-49a5-9cde-21844455ac7a

BroncoWave
11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
This is one of the big reasons I was glad the Talib suspension held up. This defense needed a wake up call to cut out the stupid personal foul penalties. Hopefully his suspension will be that wakeup call. It's one thing to be aggressive, but the dirty post-whistle stuff has to stop.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 05:36 PM
This is one of the big reasons I was glad the Talib suspension held up. This defense needed a wake up call to cut out the stupid personal foul penalties. Hopefully his suspension will be that wakeup call. It's one thing to be aggressive, but the dirty post-whistle stuff has to stop.

And hopefully the calls, which are not penalties - i.e. as Kubes stated in regards to the flag on Trevathan, will stop

BroncoJoe
11-12-2015, 05:36 PM

I agree with what you're saying about the wake up call, but still have a problem with the dirty label. Not a big deal though. Not all personal fouls are "dirty".

BroncoWave
11-12-2015, 05:38 PM
And hopefully the calls, which are not penalties - i.e. as Kubes stated in regards to the flag on Trevathan, will stop

Every team has to deal with bad calls.

BroncoWave
11-12-2015, 05:38 PM
I agree with what you're saying about the wake up call, but still have a problem with the dirty label. Not a big deal though. Not all personal fouls are "dirty".

And I didn't say they were all dirty. But some of them definitely have been.

BroncoJoe
11-12-2015, 05:43 PM
And I didn't say they were all dirty. But some of them definitely have been.

Your posts insinuate our defense is dirty. But, I'm not going down this road with you again. We can agree to disagree.

BroncoWave
11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Your posts insinuate our defense is dirty. But, I'm not going down this road with you again. We can agree to disagree.

Just because you infer something doesn't mean I implied it. Don't get mad at me because you aren't interpreting my posts correctly.

But yes, probably best that we do not go down this road again. :)

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Every team has to deal with bad calls.

Yes, but I agree with what Kubes said in the article:

I told the players that you’re not going to get the benefit of the doubt sometimes whenever you’re that high," Kubiak said. "You start to get reputations in this league. It’s something that we have to change."

Hopefully, it removes, what seems to be, the target on their backs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Von Miller was very reflective as he stood in front of his locker after practice today,

"Emotion can be a 2 edged sword, but you have to be smart enough to understand it cuts both ways. Everyone loves my dry hump sack dance, but at the same time I can't let my emotions tell me everyone is gonna love it when I cheap shot the center's nuts. I live for the moment, but I can't act like I'm stoned out there."

SR
11-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Poor choice of words at the end, especially coming from Von Miller.

tomjonesrocks
11-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Von Miller was very reflective as he stood in front of his locker after practice today, "Emotion can be a 2 edged sword, but you have to be smart enough to understand it cuts both ways. Everyone loves my dry hump sack dance, but at the same time I can't let my emotions tell me everyone is gonna love it when I cheap shot the center's nuts. I live for the moment, but I can't act like I'm stoned out there."

Well there's a combination of words I wouldn't put together as a response to any question I would be asked...

I'm calling BS this is legit. Link?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 08:22 PM
just found this article:

By now, everyone who follows the Chiefs and the Broncos have heard about "the knee," the incident with a minute left to go in the Broncos first loss of the year.

In case you haven't, let me catch you up. Basically, Von Miller was caught on a Vine (since nuked) pressing his knee into the throat of a Colts player as he rose to his feet following a play. People said things, mostly mean things about each other, in response to the incident.

(Before we REALLY get into this, let me make a disclaimer here. If you're a Broncos fan, this is not personal. You are not Von Miller. You do not play for Von Miller's team. You are not his coach, or his friend. I'm not taking a shot at you. I am talking about Von Miller being a cheap player based on his repeated behavior. That is not an insult toward you, nor is it excusing any time a Chiefs player has ever taken a cheap shot. Please remember that when you insult me in the comments; this isn't personal. Except toward Von Miller, who is personally taking cheap shots)

Basically, here's the moment everyone was talking about.

rest - http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/11/10/9703348/kansas-city-chiefs-beware-von-miller-broncos-penalties

BroncoWave
11-12-2015, 08:34 PM
just found this article:

rest - http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/11/10/9703348/kansas-city-chiefs-beware-von-miller-broncos-penalties

I mean, he ain't wrong...

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/663972401001033728/photo/1

But yeah, there is totally no dirty play by our team. None at all!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 08:48 PM
I mean, he ain't wrong...

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/663972401001033728/photo/1

But yeah, there is totally no dirty play by our team. None at all!

I prefer someone find a video, showing it from start to finish, at regular speed.

Yashahla17
11-12-2015, 08:52 PM
What von did wasn't intentional, he was just giving him the business a little.

Yashahla17
11-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Im glad the guys realize the extra stuff needs to go though.

SR
11-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I prefer someone find a video, showing it from start to finish, at regular speed.

It looks worse when you watch it at full speed.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
What I see here is both players utilizing an illegal hands to the face, with Doyle doing the better job of it, while also pulling Miller down to the ground with him. Miller, who was obviously perturbed did a little flop dance on his face to which Doyle responded by tripping him up with a grab at the ankle. Both players get quite chippy with each other and neither player is truly the victim here. The NFL agreed, deciding not to fine either player for the altercation.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/11/12/9706804/is-von-miller-a-dirty-football-player

video on link - shows from start to finish

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Poor choice of words at the end, especially coming from Von Miller.

Well there's a combination of words I wouldn't put together as a response to any question I would be asked...

I'm calling BS this is legit. Link?

I'm sorry guys, I thought you'd know it was fabricated. I was trying to put out an onion type joke.